Specific Questions About Australian Visas

Questions about visas.

I am often asked questions, rather specific questions, about visas.

For example:
question
“I came over three years ago on a temporary residency visa, but four months later switched it to a student visa when I started college. But I didn’t turn up to many of the lessons and got thrown out of college. So then I managed to get hold of a work/play visa 11 months ago but I have been working for the same employer for all of that period. But I’ve just discovered I’m pregnant! Will my child be Scottish or Australian and can I now apply for permanent residency?”

Well, they might not be as specific or as complex as that, but they might as well be.

Knowing the ins and outs of all 100+ Australian visas and to keep up with all the latest information requires the knowledge of a migration lawyer.

I’ve been called many things in my life, but never a migration lawyer. So unfortunately I am not in any position to answer specific questions about visas and there is really no point in asking me these kind of questions in the comments below.

So, how do you find out if you would qualify?

Fortunately though, I now do have a MARA registered migration agent who works with me on this site, and he can help. He will need ALL of your information though, not just a few snippets, so you will need to complete a six page questionnaire and he will work out all of your options, whether you qualify or not, and provide you with a written report.

To find out more about how this works, visit my Visa Assessment Service page.

Important: Please read before commenting…
legal_notice

And for those looking for professional assistance…
vas_notice

It's good to share...Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on Google+0Share on Reddit0Pin on Pinterest0Share on StumbleUpon0
  • Teresa Barnes October 12, 2017, 10:34 am | Link

Our 103 parents visa is finally being processed after 8 years. I understand we need to leave Australia to pick up the visa. Was wondering what the time span is from being granted visa to leaving country to pick it up. I asked because we already have a holiday booked but its in Australia.

• BobinOz October 12, 2017, 9:34 pm | Link

I’m not really sure. My understanding with some of these visas is that you need to leave the country before the final decision is made regarding whether your application is successful or not.

In other words, you need to be out of the country on the day you receive the final decision. Assuming it’s a yes, I believe you can come straight back again. This is something though that you will need to check with immigration or a MARA migration agent if you are using one.

• Michelle Gatus October 11, 2017, 6:14 pm | Link

Sir/Madam,

Good day.

I would like to inquire on how to claim additional 5points from your partner.
    My husband and I are still short in points. My occupation is General Accountant and he finished with a degree in Electrical Engineering. Both occupations are in the MLTSSL and he has competent english. Is it possible to claim 5points from him? Or do we need to have the same occupation before I can claim the partner points?

Many thanks.

Sincerely,

Michelle Gatus

• Sundeep September 22, 2017, 6:44 pm | Link

I have 11months of Australia Experience. Will this experience adds 5 points to my profile while applying for PR?, as it is not complete 1 year.

• Vidushi September 19, 2017, 5:13 pm | Link

Hey Bob!!! We finally got our visa after long application processing time almost 10 months ! But thank you so much your blog kept us going. You are doing a great job buddy!
    We will arrive there by 25th November almost 2 months from now. Wanted you to suggest should we start applying for jobs now?? and since holiday season will start in few days of our arrival so will the corporates be keen on hiring at that time??
    Also have read on forums that they prefer the resume with Australian addresses ..Is it true??

• BobinOz September 19, 2017, 9:48 pm | Link

Thanks for the kind words and congratulations on finally landing your visa. It can take a while at times, but hopefully worth it in the end.

As for jobs, I don’t think it will do any harm to start searching now, although it is often very tricky to secure work before you arrive in Australia. That said, you do have an arrival date and you already have the visa sorted, so it is worth putting yourself out there. As for the resume, just make sure it’s in an Australian style and make it clear when you will be arriving.

May I suggest you read some of the comments on the following page…

Some of those comments will scare the life out of you, and others would inspire you. You will pick up some tips though along the way, I’m sure. I have another page that will help, you’ve probably seen it, it’s called Getting a Job or a Sponsorship.

Good luck, I hope everything goes smoothly for you and you get to love this place is much as I do.

• Ben September 20, 2017, 6:59 pm | Link

Congratulations! Good luck with the move and securing employment.

• Charlotte September 12, 2017, 3:30 am | Link

Hi I plan to study in Auz and apply for PR visa whilst I’m there, if granted 190 visa how would I activate it from inside Australia?

• Puneet September 6, 2017, 9:05 pm | Link

Hi – I am thinking to apply in 489 (Family sponsorship) with 65 points, since my brother is Australian citizenship.
    I just want to know how much time it will usually take after apply EOI.

• BobinOz September 7, 2017, 8:20 pm | Link

There is no set time on this, take a look at the comments on my page about EOI to see what I mean.