Specific Questions About Australian Visas

Questions about visas.

I am often asked questions, rather specific questions, about visas.

For example:
“I came over three years ago on a temporary residency visa, but four months later switched it to a student visa when I started college. But I didn’t turn up to many of the lessons and got thrown out of college. So then I managed to get hold of a work/play visa 11 months ago but I have been working for the same employer for all of that period. But I’ve just discovered I’m pregnant! Will my child be Scottish or Australian and can I now apply for permanent residency?”

Well, they might not be as specific or as complex as that, but they might as well be.

Knowing the ins and outs of all 100+ Australian visas and to keep up with all the latest information requires the knowledge of a migration lawyer.

I’ve been called many things in my life, but never a migration lawyer. So unfortunately I am not in any position to answer specific questions about visas and there is really no point in asking me these kind of questions in the comments below.

So, how do you find out if you would qualify?

Fortunately though, I now do have a MARA registered migration agent who works with me on this site, and he can help. He will need ALL of your information though, not just a few snippets, so you will need to complete a six page questionnaire and he will work out all of your options, whether you qualify or not, and provide you with a written report.

To find out more about how this works, visit my Visa Assessment Service page.

Important: Please read before commenting…

And for those looking for professional assistance…

Get an Assessment for an Australian Visa
{ 967 comments… add one }
  • Sowmya October 28, 2018, 11:35 pm |

    Hi, I am working on 457 dependent visa in Australia. my husband and I are getting separated and divorced. Before the divorce proceedings, can I apply for a PR individually for myself without mentioning him or his visa(primary 457 visa)

  • smns October 15, 2018, 7:52 pm |

    My partner is having a visa Subclass 309 which she received in March 2017. My question is does she need to be in Australia before March 2019 to be eligible for Subclass 100 as she is living overseas at the moment? FYI, after receiving the confirmation she visited Australia for a few days.
    Awaiting your response.
    Thanks in advance.

  • Bhargav October 9, 2018, 1:51 pm |

    if I have moved from Queensland to India after 2 months stay of under visa 489 and want to start the visa procedures for my wife and 3.5 years old son, how much time it will take

  • Kathinka May 25, 2018, 5:50 pm |

    I am planning on moving to Australia to be with my boyfriend. It seems like we are eligible for a de facto partner visa. My question is then, what is the smartest visa to start out on, if i want to start working as soon as possible? I am visiting Australia in June (on a tourist visa) and then I am making the move end july ish. From what I understand, you cant get a bridging visa until the initial visa expires, so if I were to be on a working Holiday visa, I would not get the bridging visa before the working Holiday visa runs out after a year and therefore i would have to change employer after 6 months right ? Would it then be better to come out on a tourist visa (3 months without working)? Is there any way a bridging visa is granted before the initial visa expires or is there any way one can get full working rights before getting the de facto visa (not counting on sponsorship)? Or is there any way one can keep the same employer on a working Holiday visa ? thank you so much.

    • BobinOz May 25, 2018, 10:16 pm |

      Well, I can’t answer any of your questions, I’m not a MARA agent, see my important notices above at the foot of the article.

      Why can tell you though, and I know this from working with my MARA agent here on this website, is that immigration can be quite sharp when people try to play the system.

      Obviously from what you ultimately want is some kind of permanent partner visa, so trying to speed things up by considering tourist visas, working holiday visas, bridging visas and the like will probably not go down well.

      My best advice to you would be to seek the advice from a good MARA registered migration agent and do it the way they say it should done.

  • Scott H. May 20, 2018, 10:44 am |

    Hi Bob,
    My wife and daughter are both Aus citizens and we are looking to relocate to Australia next year from the US. Being my wife is a citizen is the process fairly quick (like the 6-9 months range) for a PR candidate like myself? It is my understanding I would not need to go through the points system, is that correct? Would you recommend going with a MARA or is my application pretty straight forward? When my wife came to the US we navigated through the process by ourselves but I was already established in country. Great site with lots of valuable info.


    • BobinOz May 21, 2018, 6:07 pm |

      Yes, I believe what you would be looking at would be a partner visa, and that would not be points tested. That’s all I know though, I have no idea about processing times or how easy/difficult the application process might be.

      As you’ve done this sort of thing before, I’d be inclined to give it a go yourself, see how you get on. If it gets too tricky, then maybe that might be the time to go with a MARA agent. Good luck, Bob

  • Will May 2, 2018, 4:36 am |

    Hi-My girlfriend and I applied for a working holiday visa at the same time on the 24th of April. Her visa was granted within 10 minutes, however I still haven’t received anything. I’ve double checked and I filled out everything correctly. We’re supposed to be heading out there next week but don’t want to book flights until the visa is granted. Anything I can do?

    • BobinOz May 2, 2018, 9:27 pm |

      I would chase them up if I were you, there must be a phone number or an email you can use. You certainly, as you say, do not want to be booking flights until you have secured the visa.

  • Samantha April 9, 2018, 5:00 pm |

    Hello, my partner and I have been living in Melbourne since July 2016. My partner is on a 457 and I am a dependent. We’ve passed our medicals and my partner is doing the English test soon. Both British, both working here since July 2016, no criminal issues etc. It does worry me something could go wrong and we don’t get PR. We love life out here and the thought of going back to the UK isn’t a good one. Has anyone had issues getting PR at all?

    • BobinOz April 9, 2018, 8:02 pm |

      Well, I don’t understand all the rules or how it works, and I do know that the rules can change at any time. However, what I can say is that there are no tricks, providing you comply with everything you need to comply with, then you will get your PR.

      What I’m saying is, if everything is right, there’s nobody in immigration that is going to look through your application and say “I don’t know, I’ve just got a gut feeling about this one, I think I’ll tick the ‘No box’. Right, who’s next?”

      That’s my experience, if anyone else has any stories on this, we’d love to hear from you.

  • peter dawson February 18, 2018, 1:23 pm |

    i am an Australian pensioner and foster carer for my 5 year old grandson,i am marrying a Filipino lady in April over there,can I sponsor her for spouse visa while I am on a pension,if so what is the best way to apply.i am in gov housing have small amount of savings as I have been supporting her and her family for 8 months.

    • BobinOz February 19, 2018, 5:16 pm |

      These are the kind of questions I just can’t answer Peter, I’m not qualified. If you need assistance, you should speak with a MARA registered migration agent.

  • Lucy Norton February 14, 2018, 12:20 am |

    Hi Bob,

    Me and my partner (a NZ citizen) are planning a permanent move to Australia, he will automatically enter and be on the 444, I’m looking at getting the 461 (initially a 5 year visa which can be renewed). My question is, will I become a permanent resident after a certain number of years on this visa? I am a Secondary school teacher, would using this qualification for a different visa be the only way or a better way with the view to becoming a permanent resident? We plan to be married (not engaged yet!) but would this open up another option for staying permanently if/when we do?


    • BobinOz February 14, 2018, 9:03 pm |

      As far as I was aware, the 444 is the bus I get into Brisbane on 🙂

      Seriously, I know nothing about the visas, which is why I specifically say above that I can’t answer any questions about this kind of thing. You will need to speak to a MARA agent if you want to take it further.

      Whilst you’re here though, it would be worth you reading the following page on my website about New Zealanders in Australia. It might actually give you the answer you need, be sure to read the updates and the comments…


  • Elisa January 28, 2018, 5:42 am |

    Please can you tell me how long a trial for a visa partner lasts?Is there any chance to go faster?I love my husband we can not stay away from each other.

  • Ruwan January 7, 2018, 11:00 am |

    My brother have a visa refusal of tr visa after after graduation. He mistakenly forgotten to attach the police report. He appealed to the visa again and now having a bridging visa since last 8 months. Now I am asking for student visa for my masters. Will my visa get rejected?

  • owusu January 6, 2018, 4:45 pm |

    please I need answer. I applied for Australia student visa around March 2017. As I speak I have not heard anything from them till date. Am confused and don’t know what to do. Does Student visa take so long like that.

    • BobinOz January 8, 2018, 6:05 pm |

      Sounds like something has gone wrong to me, I would chase them up if I were you.

  • Meenu December 27, 2017, 10:27 pm |

    I do work under my father’s company so what documents are required for showing experience if I get salary in hand… Moreover is it ok If I do job under my father’s company which is registered one

  • Krish December 27, 2017, 12:03 am |

    Dear bobinoz,
    Is it really easy and would you advocate us to apply for visa 476 all by ourself ,, coz the immigration consultants are charging a hefty sum for this . Is there anything we should look into specifically when applying on our own. Expecting a prompt reply. Do help sort out our contemplation .

  • Shahid December 18, 2017, 7:47 pm |

    Hi I’m little bit confused either I’m eligible or not for business innovation and investment visa provisional 188
    I’m doing business but my father is properiter I’m managing whole business due to his old age (retirement) Can I qualifying for any type of visa

    • BobinOz December 20, 2017, 12:01 am |

      You are correct, you are either eligible or not for business innovation and investment visa, it’s going to be one or the other. To find out which it is though, you would need to speak to a MARA registered migration agent who has a good understanding of this kind of visa. The qualification criteria is very complicated, so I do suggest you get professional advice.

  • Rekha November 16, 2017, 2:33 am |

    Can I do bachelors engineering. I am Brazil citizen and came to Australia on 417. Class TZ. My brother is permanent resident of Australia and girl friend is Australian citizen.. Can any one of them help me?

  • Risaid October 31, 2017, 1:25 pm |

    I would like to apply for visa subclass 476. I have gone through Australian immigration and border protection requirements. But I need a clarification about the following problem.
    My surname in passport and degree certificate are differs by a latter.what I have to do about it?
    Please help me in this case.

  • Teresa Barnes October 12, 2017, 10:34 am |

    Our 103 parents visa is finally being processed after 8 years. I understand we need to leave Australia to pick up the visa. Was wondering what the time span is from being granted visa to leaving country to pick it up. I asked because we already have a holiday booked but its in Australia.

    • BobinOz October 12, 2017, 9:34 pm |

      I’m not really sure. My understanding with some of these visas is that you need to leave the country before the final decision is made regarding whether your application is successful or not.

      In other words, you need to be out of the country on the day you receive the final decision. Assuming it’s a yes, I believe you can come straight back again. This is something though that you will need to check with immigration or a MARA migration agent if you are using one.

  • Michelle Gatus October 11, 2017, 6:14 pm |


    Good day.

    I would like to inquire on how to claim additional 5points from your partner.
    My husband and I are still short in points. My occupation is General Accountant and he finished with a degree in Electrical Engineering. Both occupations are in the MLTSSL and he has competent english. Is it possible to claim 5points from him? Or do we need to have the same occupation before I can claim the partner points?

    Many thanks.


    Michelle Gatus

  • Sundeep September 22, 2017, 6:44 pm |

    I have 11months of Australia Experience. Will this experience adds 5 points to my profile while applying for PR?, as it is not complete 1 year.

  • Vidushi September 19, 2017, 5:13 pm |

    Hey Bob!!! We finally got our visa after long application processing time almost 10 months ! But thank you so much your blog kept us going. You are doing a great job buddy!
    We will arrive there by 25th November almost 2 months from now. Wanted you to suggest should we start applying for jobs now?? and since holiday season will start in few days of our arrival so will the corporates be keen on hiring at that time??
    Also have read on forums that they prefer the resume with Australian addresses ..Is it true??

    • BobinOz September 19, 2017, 9:48 pm |

      Thanks for the kind words and congratulations on finally landing your visa. It can take a while at times, but hopefully worth it in the end.

      As for jobs, I don’t think it will do any harm to start searching now, although it is often very tricky to secure work before you arrive in Australia. That said, you do have an arrival date and you already have the visa sorted, so it is worth putting yourself out there. As for the resume, just make sure it’s in an Australian style and make it clear when you will be arriving.

      May I suggest you read some of the comments on the following page…


      Some of those comments will scare the life out of you, and others would inspire you. You will pick up some tips though along the way, I’m sure. I have another page that will help, you’ve probably seen it, it’s called Getting a Job or a Sponsorship.

      Good luck, I hope everything goes smoothly for you and you get to love this place is much as I do.

    • Ben September 20, 2017, 6:59 pm |

      Congratulations! Good luck with the move and securing employment.

  • Charlotte September 12, 2017, 3:30 am |

    Hi I plan to study in Auz and apply for PR visa whilst I’m there, if granted 190 visa how would I activate it from inside Australia?

  • Puneet September 6, 2017, 9:05 pm |

    Hi – I am thinking to apply in 489 (Family sponsorship) with 65 points, since my brother is Australian citizenship.
    I just want to know how much time it will usually take after apply EOI.

    • BobinOz September 7, 2017, 8:20 pm |

      There is no set time on this, take a look at the comments on my page about EOI to see what I mean.

Leave a Comment

If your comment doesn’t get answered, find out why…..
FAQs and Comment Policy.