How to Get a Job As a Doctor in Australia

How to register to work as a doctor in Australia

australian-approved-doctorThis isn’t a question that I am qualified to answer, the process to become registered to work as a doctor in Australia is, from what I understand of it, very complex.

Just as with nurses, much depends on…

  • Your age.
  • Your qualifications and where you obtained them.
  • In some cases successful assessment of your skills.
  • Your ability to speak the English language.
  • And, no doubt, much more.

Who can work as a GP in Australia is governed by the Royal Australian College of GPs. They categorise GPs in to three groups. Category 1 and 2 doctors can generally get a job in Australia as a GP. Category 3 doctors (or those who can’t get categorised) will struggle to find work as there are sufficient Australian-trained doctors for those posts.

Category 1 doctors

Category 1 doctors are those with both a formal training certificate in Family Medicine plus membership of the appropriate Royal College (e.g. Royal College of GPs in the UK). Category 1 doctors most usually gained their qualifications from:

  • UK
  • Ireland
  • Canada
  • New Zealand
  • Singapore

Category 2 doctors

Category 2 doctors are those with one or other of the two above mentioned criteria for category 1 doctors. Category 2 doctors most usually gained their qualifications from:

  • Belgium
  • Denmark
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • South Africa
  • Sweden
  • USA

For the full details on these categorisations, please visit RACGP.

If you do not have a qualification from one of the above countries then you would need to apply to be recognised via the Standard Pathway through the AMC.

That’s all I know, and I’m sure you have many questions, like…

Doctors FAQFortunately I know where you can get those answers from, and all you need to do is click on that image and you will be taken to the FAQ page of the government’s website called DoctorConnect.

In fact, the government has two websites that you will find very useful:

How much will you get paid?

Typically, GPs earn around $240,000 in suburban areas. This can rise to $400,000 in more rural areas. You’ll be paid on a fee per service basis – that is each patient is charged for a doctor’s consultation. You get a percentage of this, varying from 50% to 65%, depending on employer and the region.

What is GP work in Australia like?

GP practice in Australia is very similar to the UK & Ireland in terms of clinical work. Practices are generally modern and have nursing support. Some have physiotherapy, pathology, ultrasound, CT and / or ECG too. Usually the practices have 6 to 10 doctors on site. Typically, they are open 12 hours a day, for 5 days per week and often weekends too. They can be situated as standalone premises or in shopping centres or next door to a pharmacy.


Please see my page about job sponsorships.

More useful links:

The following posts from my blog may be of interest.

Important: Please read before commenting…

And for those looking for professional assistance…

Visa Assessment Service
{ 437 comments… add one }
  • Ken January 1, 2015, 4:27 am |

    Hi, I’m a Malaysian who were trained in the UK and is currently doing VTS GP training in the UK. I will be awarded CCT in the next 2 years. Is it possible to get a job in Australia? What should I do to prepare myself in the next 2 years. Many thanks. Happy new year!

    • Paul Brooks January 14, 2015, 8:59 pm |

      Dear Ken

      Thanks for your email. As the rules stand today, yes, you would be able to get a job in Australia as a GP. A UK- trained GP with a CCT and MRCGP will be given Category 1 status, which makes you equivalent to an Australian trained GP. With this registration, you will be eligible for jobs in District of Workforce Shortage areas. (Note: For doctors who didn’t train in Australia, you are generally only allowed to work in areas classified as District of Workforce Shortage (DWS). This link will give you a map of the current areas: Click on the DWS layer on the RHS)

      Please keep in touch and we’ll be pleased to help when you’re ready. My email address is:

  • Dr lawal December 25, 2014, 5:32 am |

    I am a Nigerian trained General medical practitioner(GP)currently practicing in Saudi Arabia MOH. I would like to know if MRCGP(international) is recognised in Australia for those how wish to practice there in future as GP.

  • Dr. Sam Salman December 21, 2014, 8:04 am |

    I am a Canadian citizen holding Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons form Glasgow (FRCS-UK) and the Canadian LMCC; I also have the Iraqi Board in Neurosurgery; I am currently running my clinic as a neurosurgeon and family physician since I settled in the Caribbean two years ago. Kindly advice me if I am qualified to work in Australia

    • Paul Brooks January 14, 2015, 8:46 pm |

      Dear Dr Salman
      Thanks for your comment. You should check directly with the Royal Australian College of Surgeons as to what international qualifications they consider to be equivalent to Australian ones. If there is equivalence with the qualifications you have, then you may well be able to registration in Australia (though be prepared for a seemingly minor detail upsetting your plans as some of the Colleges are very protective towards doctors already in Australia). In terms of getting a job though, I think that you will need to contact hospitals directly to see if they have vacancies as I don’t believe any of the recruitment agencies are looking for surgeons from outside of Australia

  • Helen December 13, 2014, 11:42 am |

    Hi Bob and Paul. I’m an Aussie GP in Aus (well, actually in East Timor right now but that is another story) and I stumbled across your site while looking at jobs in Melbourne. Which I now have sorted so that’s not the point of the post. What I did want to say, is how lucky I am that my father decided we would all be 10 pound Poms in 1965 so he could take up a GP post in Omeo, 400 souls up a winding unsealed mountain road. No RACGP bureaucracy etc. It was a different and simpler world back then. So I grew up a little Aussie, and ultimately an Aussie GP. Thanks Dad. It’s being a good life. I’ve lived in Canberra, Sydney and Melbourne as well as growing up in the bush. Don’t be too harsh on Canberra, so far it’s my favourite place to live and they really need GPs. Lovely clean air, close to the mountains and the beach, close by Australian standards anyway. And kangaroos practically in the town centre.

    • BobinOz December 15, 2014, 4:02 pm |

      I get a lot of people from Canberra defending their city and lots of others saying it’s boring, so it sounds as though it’s either a love it or hate it kind of place. I’ve still not yet been, but it’s on my list to do, hopefully this year.

      As for coming over as a £10 pom, yes, that was certainly a lot easier then than it is now and I couldn’t agree more, it’s a good life here for sure.

      Cheers, Bob

  • Paul Brooks December 8, 2014, 8:46 pm |

    Hi Marjaan.

    As per other comments I’ve made, the only route to Australia that we can offer is for doctors who’ve trained as GPs in the UK, Ireland, New Zealand or Singapore.



  • marjaan December 7, 2014, 8:10 pm |

    hello…My father is an bangladeshi doctor ….he is an MBBS ,MPhil(biochemistry) and assistant professor at a bangladeshi government medical,now he wanted to move there..does he need to do gp training??..

  • Raquibul November 25, 2014, 4:08 am |

    Hello Paul,
    I am a general surgeon from Bangladesh. I have completed intercollegiate MRCS recently. Now I am working in Singapore General Hospital. Is there any job opportunities or privilege in the Australia for me ?

    • BobinOz November 25, 2014, 2:30 pm |

      Hi Raquibul

      Please have a read through previous similar comments already made, Paul has answered this same question many times.

      Good luck, Bob

  • Jeetendra November 17, 2014, 10:56 pm |

    Hello Paul,
    I am practicing Homeopath and Hypnotherapist in Mumbai, India since 8 years.
    I have an experience of teaching Homeopathy at Homeopathic medical college for 2.5 years.
    I have already acquired PR visa and work permit for Australia.
    I am currently looking for opportunities in said field.
    looking forward for a positive response.

  • JAY November 13, 2014, 2:44 pm |

    hello paul
    I am a BHMS( bachelor of homoeopathic medicine and surgery) from india and i am working here as GP and homoeopath both and have knowledge and work experience in allopathic medicine as well. i am curious to know what are the scopes there?
    thank you..

  • Paul Brooks November 10, 2014, 8:31 pm |

    Hi Randy

    I’m afraid that it will be difficult for you. ideally, the RACGP is looking for doctors who’ve trained as GPs in the UK, Ireland, NZ or Canada.
    This website will help with an assessment:
    You could also google ACRRM and see if they have any options for you.



  • Randy November 9, 2014, 8:03 pm |

    Hi, I am South African GP for 18 years, having obtained my primary degree in Ireland and did my internship in South Africa. I don’t hold any Fellowship or membership degrees in Family Practice. What is the procedure or the protocol regarding me working as a GP in Australia as I plan to make the move with my family permanently. Cheers

  • Paul Brooks October 31, 2014, 10:56 pm |

    Hi Tom
    I’ll answer as best I can.
    My understanding is that it is hard to get recognition (Fellowship) in Australia via the RANZCR. I doubt it’s impossible but it does restrict the options (I think you’d need to do at least 12 months of supervised work and most likely in an Area of Need).

    We did look at recruiting Radiologists but the bureaucracy put us off. My advice would be to talk to one or two of the hospitals directly (those with vacancies / in out of the way places) to see what the latest position is.



  • Tom October 31, 2014, 8:34 am |

    Hello Paul/Bob
    I m a UK trained consultant radiologist with FRCR and 3 years NHS consultant experience .. any local knowledge regarding work possibilities is appreciated,
    Many thanks

  • jayesh October 30, 2014, 1:54 pm |


    I am a Urologist from India. my field comes in SOL (special occupation list).
    I am specialist and want to move australia on specialist pahtway.

    pl help me. whom should i contact?

    • BobinOz October 31, 2014, 12:41 am |

      All the information I have is in the above article, you need to click through on those links to find out more.

  • Dr.D October 14, 2014, 7:10 am |

    Dear Paul,

    I am physician graduating from Hungary but planning on working in Ireland for at least a year. If i am a registered doctor in Ireland with 1 years worth of experience. Does that make me eligible for registration in Australia WITHOUT doing the licensing exams? I do not have a specialization yet. I appreciate any help



  • Haylee October 9, 2014, 12:25 pm |

    Hi, Paul.

    I have a strange question, but so far have been unable to find any advice.

    I’m an Australian medical school graduate about to start internship in Australia. I am an aspiring GP, however my UK citizen partner is keen to move back in the next couple of years- probably before I’ll be able to complete my RACGP training.

    I’m at a loss as to what is best- try to enter RCGP training after pgy2, or push to complete RACGP training and try to find work in the UK once qualified. Ideally I’d like to work in both Australia and the UK (a tall ask!)

    Are you familiar with anyone with a similar conundrum?

    I’d appreciate any insight you might have.

    Best Regards,

  • mahen October 7, 2014, 12:36 pm |

    I am a srilankan gp with 12 year experience who has been afforded a job in UK
    as a hospital doctor . My ultimate plan is to become a Australian gp . Will it be easier for me to get a GP position in Australia if I have one year experience in UK ?
    best regards

  • zif October 5, 2014, 3:08 am |

    I just graduated from romanian university with an MD degree. I need to know how i can apply to work in australia

    • BobinOz October 6, 2014, 2:47 pm |

      Please have a read through the replies to other comments here, Paul has answered this kind of question many times. Good luck, Bob

  • Tanusree September 10, 2014, 10:02 pm |

    I have been completed my MBBS and MPH from Bangladesh.Is there any job for me or what can I do for a job in Australia.

    • BobinOz September 11, 2014, 5:29 pm |

      This question has been answered many many times before by Paul, please do read the comments and answers given which appear above yours.

      Cheers, Bob

  • Arijit August 31, 2014, 4:32 pm |

    Hi Pa ul,
    I am a doctor from India. I have done my residency (MD) in Internal Medicine. I have also completed the MRCP (UK) examinations. Kindly suggest whether there is any possibility of relocating to Australia.

    • Paul Brooks September 1, 2014, 7:08 pm |

      Hi Arijit

      Sorry, I can’t really help. Our clients are only looking for UK / Irish trained GPs. However, on a more general point, I don’t think there are vacancies (or if there are, only very very few) for doctors outside of Australia in the Australian hospital system.

  • Dr Owais August 28, 2014, 2:10 am |

    Iam Dr. Owais and currently working as an ER in a government hospital of saudi arabia..Iam general physician and having 8years of experience…Iam basically from Pakistan..My wife is Maters in bio-chemistry and teaching in an international school…Will it be easy for us to move Australia?

    • BobinOz August 28, 2014, 9:37 pm |

      Please see answers to similar questions. Good luck, Bob

  • Nigel August 15, 2014, 3:17 pm |

    Hi Bob, is there a link or some sort for dentist instead of doctor? Pls advice. Thank you.

    • BobinOz August 15, 2014, 6:54 pm |

      Hi Nigel

      No, I haven’t got around to making a page about dentistry yet, but if you Google “Australian Dental Association” they should be able to help you.

      Good luck, Bob

  • Arvin August 15, 2014, 6:30 am |

    Dear sir,
    I trained in South Africa at cut .i graduated in 2008 and wanted to know if any exams would be required from me. I have a higher diploma in obstetrics( and has just passed part 1 of the fcs surgery.
    Thank you

  • Ronnie August 15, 2014, 12:49 am |

    Hello, Bob. I’m in a dilemma at the moment. Me and my family were granted permanent residency only last month. The problem that arose was the 19AA restrictions that was placed on myself. When I returned to Australia, I was informed that I couldn’t practice at my previous surgery because of that. In short, I’m now a jobless GP. Worse, I’m still working towards my full registration and AHPRA won’t renew my registration. I got a job offer in Oman as a GP. I wanted to jump on that opportunity. My question is: How long am I allowed to stay overseas if you’re a permanent resident (that includes my family since they will be accompanying me to Oman). That’s considering the fact that they allow only a month-long vacation per year if you work for them. Many thanks in advance for your prompt response.


    • BobinOz August 15, 2014, 6:31 pm |

      Hi Ronnie

      I can’t remember what the specific terms are, but I suggest you get in touch with your local immigration department and speak to them about your situation, they should certainly be able to clarify how long you can stay overseas and maybe you could even ask for an extension on that under the circumstances.

      Good luck, Bob

    • April Armstrong September 3, 2014, 9:15 pm |

      Hi Ron
      Firstly I would like to say what an amazing site and it gives me a lot of hope that there are so many potential GPs wanting to come and work in Australia.
      I am on the Australian College of Remote and Rural Medicine (ACRRM) Committee and there is a program that would suit you so that you could continue working and living in Australia.
      Once you are a permanent resident you can apply for the independent pathway of General Practice training via ACRRM
      With the permission of the moderators of this website I would be happy to put you in touch with people who can assist you in looking into this option,
      Best of luck
      Dr April Armstrong

      • BobinOz September 4, 2014, 9:24 pm |

        Hi April

        Thanks for your comment and I’m glad you like my website. And yes, you certainly have my permission to help Ron, that’s what we like to do here, help people. If Ron is still around and replies to your comment, and with his permission, I’d be more than happy to pass on your emails to each other so you can take this off-line.

        Are you there Ron?

        Cheers, Bob

        • R.W December 27, 2014, 7:14 am |

          Reading through comments to gain knowledge…

          Really hope this Bob guy did the right thing and took time to email Ronnie about April’s insight to his dilemma…

          • BobinOz December 29, 2014, 9:48 pm |

            Yes I did R.W, but I didn’t hear back from him. Thanks for giving me a nudge, maybe the email went into his spam folder or something. I’m going to try sending another one, see what happens. Cheers, Bob

            • BobinOz January 5, 2015, 1:48 pm |

              Ronnie and April have now been successfully put in touch with each other, hopefully something will come of it.

  • Doctor Noura August 13, 2014, 6:23 am |

    HI Paul Brooks
    what’s this mean if i apply immigration to Australia . i can’t get work or training there

    • BobinOz August 13, 2014, 8:22 pm |

      This isn’t a question that Paul can answer with any accuracy Doctor Noura, he has already said he cannot assist you directly himself. Whether or not you can get work or training here is a question you would need to ask a MARA registered migration agent, my agent would be able to assist through my Visa Assessment Service if you are interested.

      Cheers, Bob

  • Paul Brooks August 12, 2014, 9:20 pm |

    Hi Dr Noura

    Sorry, we can’t help with this – all of our vacancies are for GPs who trained in the UK, Ireland, NZ, Singapore


  • Doctor Noura August 12, 2014, 5:48 am |

    i am doctor General practitioner have experience more than 5 years . i will get AMC MCQ soon – I have OET( B)
    My question – can you get me job offer from your site

    thank you for your kindly support

  • Dr. Madhu August 7, 2014, 7:00 pm |

    I’m an Ayurvedic doctor, studying my MD in India. I’m a registered doctor in India.
    I need your advice/ opinion/ support in opportunities for me in Melbourne, Australia.


    • Paul Brooks August 12, 2014, 9:21 pm |

      Hi Dr Madhu

      Sorry, we can’t help with this



  • Kathleen Milan July 28, 2014, 1:56 pm |

    Dear Sir,
    I am a qualified diplomate in Internal Medicine in the Philippines with a 4yrs 6 mos work experience as a doctor. I am recently employed as a clinical associate in Internal Medicine (similar to Medical Officer) at SGH/Singapore General Hospital with a temporary registration and a 12-24mos contract. I am planning to apply as a GP in Australia/New Zealand while gaining work experience in SGH.
    In line with this, what are my chances of getting hired and obtaining a registration in AU/NZ? Do I still need to take the AMC examination? What is the minimum number of months of experience do I need to gain in Singapore before I get a better chance of getting hired in AU/NZ without taking the AMC examination?

    Kathleen Milan

    • Paul Brooks August 12, 2014, 9:19 pm |

      Hi Kathleen
      My view is that in order to work in Australia you should try to get formal GP training in Singapore. When you have this qualification, you may be able to find work in Australia as a GP. I think NZ will be similar.

      Without the GP training, I think it is unlikely that you’d get a GP job in Australia or NZ.



  • Ruda July 27, 2014, 11:21 pm |

    Good day
    I am from South Africa, got my MB.CH.B degree in 2006. I want to enquire if there will be work for me if we decide to relocate to Australia? I am a GP. If not what can I do to enhance my chances of finding work in Australia?
    Thank you in advance

    • Paul Brooks August 7, 2014, 7:22 pm |

      Hi Ruda

      There may be a chance for you to work in a remote / rural part of Australia. You would need to hold a family medicine certificate from South Africa though. If you’re happy with a remote area, please feel free to send me your CV to and I can check further.

      (Note for others reading this reply: There are occasional vacancies in more rural areas for GPs who can get “Category 2” registration with the RACGP. The list of who can get Category 2 registration is usually available on the RACGP website here: But the RACGP has recently updated their website and the country list has been omitted for the time being. From memory, it definitely includes South Africa, plus one or two EU countries and the USA. It is also the category that UK / Irish GPs are given if they don’t have both a CCT and MRCGP / MICGP.)

  • Medical student July 27, 2014, 2:45 am |

    I have a little bit different question so I hope you’ll be able to answer it. I’m finishing my study of medicine in Slovenia and I would like to know (if you maybe know) if is possible for me to start specialization for example of dermatology in Australia/New Zealand?

    Thank you

    • Paul Brooks August 7, 2014, 7:16 pm |


      Sorry, I can’t help with this – our vacancies in NZ are for doctors with their specialisation (and then really only for those doctors who trained in the UK / Ireland). Your best bet is to try contacting the hospitals directly to see if they would be able to offer you a job



  • Amged Solia July 26, 2014, 9:52 pm |

    Hi Paul,
    I am a qualified Egyptian Dr. in Family Medicine, I has experience as GP and Family Physician for (12 years) in both Egypt (2 years) and (10 years) in Saudi Arabia.
    I am qualified by Saudi Diploma in Family Medicine in 2010 with a recognized training course for 14 months by Saudi Council for Health Specialties.
    Also I had passed the first part in the MRCGP[INT] in May 2011.
    Currently, I am workings as Family Medicine Specialist in Ministry of Health in Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
    I was wondering if there are any possible opportunities to to join work as a General Practitioner in Australia?
    Thank you.

    • Paul Brooks August 7, 2014, 7:14 pm |

      Hi Amged

      Unfortunately, the RACGP do not recognise the MRCGP (Int) as being equivalent to their own training, so it is going to be difficult to get to work in Australia as a GP. You could try the ACRRM (Google will get you the contact details) and see if they might recognise it and thus allow you to practice in a remote part of Australia



  • Cinzia del ponte July 26, 2014, 10:04 am |

    Hello i am cinzia and i am a qualified, registered and trained gp in italy.
    This means i graduated in medicine and surgery (6 years course), passed the state examination, registered (still current) at the medical association, and have more than 5 years of working experience as gp in italy.
    I relocated with my husband in perth some months ago and i am under the umbrella of his 457. Will you be so kind to tell me what exacly take to have my title recognised in Australia and to work as a gp here?

    • Paul Brooks August 7, 2014, 7:11 pm |

      Hi Cinzia

      I don’t think we can help (our clients are only looking for GPs who trained in the UK, Ireland, Canada and Singapore). However, as you’re in Australia, I suggest you check with both ACRRM and RACGP as to whether they will register you with your qualifications. (Google will find you the appropriate contact addresses).


  • Ali M July 24, 2014, 4:49 am |

    hi i am a fresh grad MBBS from Pakistan ,how can i get job as a training doc r for a job under supervisition ?
    i want to get my specialization from australia and want to live n work there.
    how can i start from the begining ?

    • Paul Brooks August 7, 2014, 7:08 pm |

      Hi Ali

      Sorry, but we won’t be able to help. Our vacancies are for doctors who have trained as GPs in the UK, Ireland, Canada & Singapore


  • Sahaya Nathan June 29, 2014, 4:13 pm |

    Hi, I’m a Singaporean and obtained my MBBS from Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine (Singapore). What are the other qualifications needed to practice as a GP in Australia? Thank you.

  • simrit June 21, 2014, 9:58 pm |

    hi i am M.B.B.S from India want to become G.P. in U .K.
    plz suggest how.

    • BobinOz June 22, 2014, 9:17 pm |

      You are in the wrong place, this website is about moving to Australia not the UK.

  • SAMITA PANDEY June 20, 2014, 2:07 am |


    I am a qualified Dr from university of stellenbosch in South Africa. I was wondering if there are any possible opportunities to specialise in australia for south african trained doctors?

    thank you

    • BobinOz June 20, 2014, 10:59 pm |

      Paul has answered this question so many times, you need to have gained your GP training in the UK, Ireland, NZ, Canada or Singapore.

      • samita June 30, 2014, 8:36 am |

        Hi, thank you for the reply. I understand that Paul has answered similar questions many times. However according to above information south african trained doctors fall under category 2 so I was simply inquirinv about opportunities available as that was not clear in any of the above answers, and still very unclear.

        • Paul Brooks June 30, 2014, 8:56 pm |

          Hi Samita

          I’ll just try to add a bit more information to help on South African trained doctors. If you have trained as a GP in South Africa, then you may qualify for the Category 2 status with the RACGP. There are some jobs available for doctors with this classification – mainly in more rural areas.
          The RACGP is currently changing its website and I can’t give you the exact name of the South African qualification you need. However, if you check these two links over the next few days, it should become clear:

          If you haven’t taken a family medicine qualification in South Africa, then I fear that it will be very difficult to get to Australia and the answers I’ve given previously will explain the problems.

          if you think you’ll be a category 2 GP, then please feel free to email me directly on

  • Neha June 16, 2014, 4:44 am |

    Thank you for reply
    Sir am I eligible for pr of Australia ???? Because I m BAMS doctor and Consultant’s in India have no idea about BAMS doctor that they are eligible to apply pr of Australia or not????? Sir please help me if I m eligible to apply pr on the basis of this degree then I will do further studies if I get pr of Australia to explore my field there………
    Please help me
    With regards

    • BobinOz June 16, 2014, 8:18 pm |

      Paul has already answered your question Neha and said he cannot help you. The question of whether you are eligible for Australian PR or not is something you really should be discussing with a MARA registered migration agent.

      Good luck, Bob

  • Ali June 16, 2014, 4:38 am |

    Hi there Paul,

    I’m an Australian, currently attaining my MBBS degree from Bangladesh and I’m looking forward to moving back to Sydney right after my course. I was born and raised in Australia and did my complete schooling there till the end of high school. What’ll be the steps I’ll need to take, if I oughta move back and start working in Sydney?

  • Neha June 14, 2014, 8:18 pm |

    Hi Paul
    Plz suggest any path to get pr of Australia and able to do work there for BAMS doctors …………….
    With regards
    Thank you

    • Paul Brooks June 14, 2014, 8:46 pm |

      Hi Neha

      If you have a look through the other comments I’ve made, I’ve said that there is a lot of difficulty in getting to work in Australia (let alone getting PR), unless you’ve had GP training in the UK, Ireland, NZ, Canada or Singapore.


  • niki June 14, 2014, 3:50 pm |

    Hi Paul,
    I am currently living in Melbourne. My boyfriend who is back in the UK has just passed his second year F2. He has a job over here on general rotations in a hospital in QLD. As part of his registration he must be supervised for 12months. We were hoping he could move after 6 months so as we coukd be together but I wonder if you know does his 12 months of supervision need to be with the same hospital? Or even within the same state?

    Thank you.

    • Paul Brooks June 14, 2014, 7:48 pm |

      Hi Niki

      Thanks for your post.

      Sorry, I don’t think I can help. I’m afraid, we don’t recruit for the hospital sector in Australia and so I don’t know much about the requirements.

      I think the best bet would be to have a word with the HR department(s) in the main Melbourne hospitals and see what they have to say about moving to Melbourne. Alternatively, the AMC may be able to give you advice (you should be able to ring the latter up and ask them directly)


  • SKJINDAL SKJINDAL June 10, 2014, 4:09 pm |

    Hello sir
    myself dr sk jindal. I had done mbbs from WHO recognised medical school. Now I got certificate in family medicine affiliated from ROYAL COLLEGE OF GENERAL PHYSICIANS AND HAVING THEIR MEMBERSHIP. Now im looking forward to practice as a GP in Australia. Can u plx help me?

    • Paul Brooks June 14, 2014, 7:42 pm |

      Dear Dr Jindal

      Thanks for your post. Please have a look at this website and cross check the certificate in Family Medicine that you have. If it is from the UK, Ireland, Canada, NZ or Singapore, then it may be relatively straightforward for you to get a job in Australia.

      If it is from one of the countries listed in Category 2, then it also should be possible to get a job – but in a remote or rural area.

      If it is from one of the countries listed as Category 3, then I fear it will be nigh on impossible to get a job.

      Let me know which category you fit into.


  • Brad June 10, 2014, 5:55 am |

    Hi Paul,

    my wife is a practicing GP (10 years) in South Africa. She is interested in specialising in the UK as an endocrinologist. We looked at Australia, but i think it will be battle to find a post or to even work there (as a GP).

    Would you be able to assist with information and a potential post in the UK wither in endocrinology or General Practice?

    FYI I am an EU passport holder (Germany).

    • Paul Brooks June 14, 2014, 7:36 pm |

      Hi Brad

      Thanks for your post.
      The UK is particularly difficult to get to as a non-EU national – mainly in terms of registration with the GMC. Although, in theory, as a spouse of an EU national, it ought to relatively simple for your wife to gain registration, the GMC is very strict on how the rules are applied. I believe you would first need to move to the UK to a job. Then your wife would need to apply for GMC registration and then, if successful, get a job over here.
      The alternative routes are PLAB, which is exam based, and a route for those doctors with specialist qualifications. There is more information here:

      (N.B. There is a bit of information here on the EU rights side of things:
      However, it isn’t very clear – primarily because the GMC doesn’t want to use this route soe they keep quiet about it).

      Even with registration, it may be difficult to get a job as an endocrinolgist – most doctors from outside of the UK come to work in the UK in the specialty for which they’ve already trained.

      The easiest countries to move to might well be New Zealand and Canada – as a GP. Let me know if either of these are of interest and I’ll send more details. Please email me directly on


  • Mohammed Farhad June 6, 2014, 6:10 am |

    Hello sir,

    I am Farhad from Bangladesh. I want to know, is it possible to get a job in AUSTRALIA after completing MBBS from BANGLADESH? Though BANGLADESH isn’t there in the list. Besides is there any other way, say any examination we have to take part in? Please let me know.


    • BobinOz June 6, 2014, 5:55 pm |

      As you have seen from all the answers to this same question that have appeared before, Bangladesh is not on the list so your qualifications would not be recognised here in Australia.

      Cheers, Bob

  • Paul Brooks June 4, 2014, 1:11 am |

    Hi Sumit

    Unfortunately, the only jobs we have are for UK, New Zealand or Irish trained GPs. Please note that it is very hard to get a job in Australia if you’ve not trained in one of these countries. If you have a read through the information I’ve given to other candidates above, you’ll get a flavour of the hassles and difficulties of trying to get medical doctors jobs in Australia.


  • Sumit G June 3, 2014, 8:51 pm |

    Hi Sir,

    I am a pediatrician from India Done MBBS, D Ch and now doing DNB (all from India). Are there vacancies for pediatricians? Is AMC -MCQ cumpulsory? Cant I get a job without taking the test?

  • sunimali June 3, 2014, 3:10 pm |

    hi paul,
    I’m a MBBS docter,graduated from sri lankan WHO recgnized husband has PR in Australia.Would you plz help me to know if any possible way for me to work as GP in australia or what further learning oppourtunities avilable at australia
    thank u sir.

    • BobinOz June 3, 2014, 5:06 pm |

      Hi sunimali

      This exact same question has been asked many many times in the above comments and Paul has patiently answered each and every one. Please do have a read through, in particular look for a comment by zargab from February 2014 and the answer Paul has given.

      Many thanks, Bob

  • Paul Brooks May 29, 2014, 9:27 pm |

    Hi Dicky

    Just to add to what Bob says. I think it would be best for you to have a chat with an authorised visa agent to see what they say. If you give me a call next week (I’m away for the rest of this week), I can give you some contact details – you may need to pay him though. My telephone number is 01483763102. Regards Paul

  • Dicky May 28, 2014, 10:19 pm |

    Hi Paul,

    My wife is about to qualify as a GP in the UK and has talked about working in Australia or NZ. Would we be able to go as a family if I have a criminal conviction or caution for theft?

    Would this stop me getting a visa and so stop us going as a family ( 3 children under the age of 5)

    • BobinOz May 29, 2014, 6:58 pm |

      Hi Dicky

      This probably isn’t a question for Paul, but hopefully I can help. If you Google “Australian character requirement” you will see fact sheet 79, the official criteria of what’s required to pass the character test.

      It is quite open-ended, so it’s difficult to give a definite answer. I believe each case in the end we looked at on its own merits, so I think it really depends how serious (or not) your crime was and what punishment you received.

      Cheers, Bob

  • gkh fujuv May 26, 2014, 4:12 pm |

    I have done MBBS recently from BFUHS,Faridkot.I would like to know that how I can be a GP in Australia.

    • Paul Brooks May 27, 2014, 6:52 pm |

      Hi GKH Fujuv

      Please see my replies to the previous posters. You’re best bet is to try the Austalian College of Rural and Remote Medicine: They do have training programmes for International Medical Graduates but I don’t know what the entry requirements are or whether they will lead to being a fully qualified GP in Australia


Leave a Comment

If your comment doesn’t get answered, find out why…..
FAQs and Comment Policy.