How to Get a Job As a Doctor in Australia

This page offers information about registering and working as a doctor in Australia; here you will find some useful links to help you look into it for yourself. Before we get to that though, here is a company who are currently looking for GPs…

Calling All GPs Looking For An Exciting Move to Australia

Zento RecruitmentLooking to be generously rewarded for all your hard work and expertise?

Wanting the optimal work life balance in a country filled with opportunity and superior lifestyle?

Zento Recruitment are currently recruiting for GP practices based across Australia. We have a choice of practices that are looking for clinicians with the experience and drive to take their career to the next level. Earnings in excess of $250,000 P/A.

We are looking for Category 1 & 2 doctors as defined below.

Many benefits and the opportunity to become a permanent resident in Australia. We have partnered with immigration lawyers who specialise in helping all our candidates and their families apply for the right visas and verifying their qualifications. We can also help you with recommendations of financial partners, accountants and realty specialists as you make the move down under.

If you are interested please send an up to date CV to:

[email protected]

For any questions feel free to call:

+61 427 377 033

Mark Howard
Zento Group

How to register to work as a doctor in Australia

australian-approved-doctorThis isn’t a question that I am qualified to answer, the process to become registered to work as a doctor in Australia is, from what I understand of it, very complex.

Just as with nurses, much depends on…

  • Your age.
  • Your qualifications and where you obtained them.
  • In some cases successful assessment of your skills.
  • Your ability to speak the English language.
  • And, no doubt, much more.

Who can work as a GP in Australia is governed by the Royal Australian College of GPs. They categorise GPs in to three groups. Category 1 and 2 doctors can generally get a job in Australia as a GP. Category 3 doctors (or those who can’t get categorised) will struggle to find work as there are sufficient Australian-trained doctors for those posts.

Category 1 doctors

Category 1 doctors are those with both a formal training certificate in Family Medicine plus membership of the appropriate Royal College (e.g. Royal College of GPs in the UK). Category 1 doctors most usually gained their qualifications from:

  • UK
  • Ireland
  • Canada
  • New Zealand
  • Singapore

Category 2 doctors

Category 2 doctors are those with one or other of the two above mentioned criteria for category 1 doctors. Category 2 doctors most usually gained their qualifications from:

  • Belgium
  • Denmark
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • South Africa
  • Sweden
  • USA

For the full details on these categorisations, please visit RACGP.

If you do not have a qualification from one of the above countries then you would need to apply to be recognised via the Standard Pathway through the AMC.

That’s all I know, and I’m sure you have many questions, like…

Doctors FAQFortunately I know where you can get those answers from, and all you need to do is click on that image and you will be taken to the FAQ page of the government’s website called DoctorConnect.

In fact, the government has two websites that you will find very useful:

How much will you get paid?

Typically, GPs earn around $240,000 in suburban areas. This can rise to $400,000 in more rural areas. You’ll be paid on a fee per service basis – that is each patient is charged for a doctor’s consultation. You get a percentage of this, varying from 50% to 65%, depending on employer and the region.

What is GP work in Australia like?

GP practice in Australia is very similar to the UK & Ireland in terms of clinical work. Practices are generally modern and have nursing support. Some have physiotherapy, pathology, ultrasound, CT and / or ECG too. Usually the practices have 6 to 10 doctors on site. Typically, they are open 12 hours a day, for 5 days per week and often weekends too. They can be situated as standalone premises or in shopping centres or next door to a pharmacy.


Please see my page about job sponsorships.

More useful links:

The following posts from my blog may be of interest.

Important: Please read before commenting…

And for those looking for professional assistance…

Get an Assessment for an Australian Visa
{ 419 comments… add one }
  • Rakesh pandey August 20, 2018, 12:26 am |

    I am an IMG working in India . Due to health reasons I had to leave my job and recently joined a new job .The gap between my past and present job is 3 months . Can’t I apply for GMC registration till I complete 12 months in new job ?

    • BobinOz August 20, 2018, 5:03 pm |

      I have absolutely no idea, I don’t even know what an IMG is 🙂 Anyway, isn’t the GMC registration a UK thing? This page is about becoming a doctor in Australia.

  • Dr Aarti July 25, 2018, 6:30 pm |

    Hi Bob
    I am a clinical microbiologist (degree from India – MBBS and MD) and a fellowship from royal college of pathology London , currently working in kuwait. What kinda scope I have and how to proceed if I wish to work in Australia

    • BobinOz July 27, 2018, 7:50 pm |

      I am not able to answer your questions, but this page has now been sponsored by a company who are actively seeking GPs for Western Australia, so it might be worth you sending your CV to them.

      Details are now at the very top of this page.

  • Divyangi July 8, 2018, 2:00 pm |

    Hi.. My partner is doing mbbs from China and we are planning to go to UK for residency next year and after residency we would like to move to Australia…. Can you help us guys with the process and if writing the Australian exam will be a necessity for migrating from UK to Australia

    • BobinOz July 9, 2018, 8:31 pm |

      I can’t help you with this, you would need to talk to a MARA registered migration agent about your options. From my understanding though, and if you look at the list of countries from where qualifications are best recognised by Australia, China is not on it.

      As I say though, only a MARA registered migration agent could accurately let you know if you have any options.

  • Eirini Polymenopoulou February 10, 2018, 1:17 am |

    I have been a licensed specialist anaesthesiologist since 2015 in Greece and a GMC registered consultant since August 2017 however I do not have license to practice as my grades obtained in the IELTS examination were as follows : Listening 7 reading 7 speaking 8 and writing 6.5 despite the fact that my overall score equals 7, 125 . I would be really interested in working in Australia as well as in Tasmania. Therefore , I would like to have further information as to whether my command and English language qualifications are consideredto be adequate or what do I need to do in order to work in Australia
    Thanking you in advance

    • BobinOz February 12, 2018, 4:24 pm |

      You would need to speak to a MARA migration agent about this, it’s not something I can help you with. I do not answer questions about visas and eligibility.

  • Ranveer singh January 26, 2018, 10:26 pm |

    All type of joint pain like back pain shoulder pain knee pain release without any medicine

  • Danielle December 24, 2017, 10:14 am |

    Hi there,
    I’m originally from Australian and my partner is from the Netherlands and is currently studying medicine there. We want to move to Australia after he finishes so he would need to work and specialise here. We have done a lot of research and the process looks pretty complicated and costly. There also seems to be no way around the requirement to work rurally, although that would be very difficult for me for work and family reasons. I would love to be able to get in touch with an overseas trained doctor who has recently been through the process and could give some advice and tips about it. Do you know anyone who could help me out? Thanks!

    • BobinOz December 24, 2017, 5:36 pm |

      No, I’m afraid I don’t Danielle, but it might be worth you getting in touch with Emma at Transition Medical, the details are above, and see if she can help you?

      • Danielle December 27, 2017, 10:44 am |

        Hi Bob,

        Thanks for that! I’ll get in contact with her and see if she can assist me further.


  • Nareshkumar Sharma October 14, 2017, 4:22 am |

    Sir . My wife is a Homeopathic Dr From India Having 10 years of Job experience. Can she get any job related to medical or health care field in Australia. Should she apply for PR in Australia.

  • Dr ssb August 4, 2017, 10:52 pm |

    I hv done plab 1 and plab 2 and gmc registrated.i ahve done my 12 months intership from pakistan.i have msc degree in dermatology from world renowed university in london and i have 5yrs experiencein i eligible for competent pathway.i really need help in this im so confused and not able to find proper info.

  • John June 28, 2017, 5:47 am |

    My wife has done her MBBS from India, DEM from UK and fellowship in FICM UK, currently she is pursuing her MRCP degree UK.
    Currently working Qatar.
    I would like to know what are the chances of getting a secured job and which pathway must we apply for our permanent residency.

  • Asim Hassan Mehdi June 26, 2017, 12:09 am |

    hi.. i am dr asim hassan mehdi currently working at Ireland for last 2 years. my primary medical qualification is MBBS from Pakistan and then i got Irish medical council registration in Ireland and as i said working over here for last 2 years. Now i got diploma in pediatrics and child health UK. i have also done MRCP paeds ireland and MRCPCH UK. Is there any route for me to get registration with Australian medical council
    regards. your help is highly appreciated

    • BobinOz June 28, 2017, 8:03 pm |

      Asim and John, these are questions I can’t possibly answer, the whole process is very complicated, so I have no idea. I don’t even know what half of these letters stand for 🙂 Hopefully though the links included in the above article can help you both get to the bottom of it all. Good luck, Bob

  • Georgie May 9, 2017, 4:34 pm |

    There are great job opportunities in Queensland for international medical graduates (IMGs)

Leave a Comment

If your comment doesn’t get answered, find out why…..
FAQs and Comment Policy.