Getting a Visa for Australia

Getting a Visa

visaHow do I get a visa? Which visa is best for me? And how do I calculate my points total? These are some of the questions I am asked on a regular basis. I have rolled all three of these questions into one and, fortunately, they are reasonably easy to answer.


Well, let’s go through them. Firstly, how do you get a visa? There is only one place you will get your visa from, and that’s the Australian Government, via The Department of Home Affairs, so you need to apply to them.

Of course, you can go through a MARA registered migration agent. If that is something that appeals to you, visit my…

Visa Assessment Service

…page for details of how you can get your own personal help from a MARA registered migration agent. But ultimately, all agents will forward your application on, so your visa can still only be granted by The Department of Home Affairs.

Which visa?

So which visa is best for you? The Department of Home Affairs can answer that for you too, simply by visiting their website and using their Visa Finder. This new version of the Visa Finder replaces the Visa Wizard of old. I used to have a video here explaining how it worked, but the Visa Finder is so simple that no explanation is needed.

Here’s a link to the Visa Finder:

As soon as you have answered the questions presented, you need to ‘Select next to see your visa options‘ and then you will be presented with, and you are probably ahead of me on this, your visa options. Clicking on the header on any of those visa options will take you to a page with further details, including the government fees required to lodge the application.

If the kind of visa you are recommended requires you to calculate your points, please visit my Points Calculator page.

More useful links:

I have a whole series of posts that explain the entire process that we went through to get our visas for Australia. The first instalment is called Moving to Australia – An Idea and the series ends with Moving to Australia – Part Fifteen in which you will find us sitting in our new home in Australia, waiting for the furniture to show up.

You can see a full list of all the topics covered in this series over at How to Move to Australia.

Important: Please read before commenting…

And for those looking for professional assistance…

Visa Assessment Service
Visa Assessment Service
{ 873 comments… add one }
  • Rob December 13, 2018, 6:03 pm | Link

    Hi Bob,
    Thanks for your website. Didn’t see this question in other comments and I’m not asking for legal advice so hopefully you can answer.

    Based on a series of questions, my first search of the Australian Immigration website directed me to the “Visitor” Visa (subclass 600) as the appropriate Visa for a tourist/visitor wanting to stay in Australia for up to 12 months. However, I didn’t apply for this Visa because the website also says it processes about 90% of subclass 600 Visitor Visa applications within 30 days and the cost is $140AUD; I have less than 30 days before I fly to Australia.

    A different location on same website says that since I have an American passport I could apply for an ETA – Electronic Travel Authority to enter the country and stay (as a visitor) for up to 12 months (stipulation: have to leave every 3 months). The cost was only $20AUD and I received approval (via email) the same day I applied online. They refer to it as an ETA rather than a Visa but elsewhere it is listed as Subclass 601 assume that means it is a subclass of some other Visa but I don’t know.

    Since the ETA is much cheaper and is provided within 24 hours I chose it over the Visitor Visa; however, it is confusing as to whether an ETA is the same as a Visa. For example, when I applied for health insurance in Australia, they ask what Visa I have and the ETA subclass 601 is not listed as an option. My questions:
    1. Is ETA a Visa? If so, when health insurance and other applications ask which Visa I have, what is the Visa class/numer for an ETA subclass 601? 601 doesn’t appear to be on any applications I’ve seen.


    • BobinOz December 13, 2018, 8:39 pm | Link

      Interesting question and I don’t know the answer, but I just asked Google “is an ETA the same as a visa?”

      This is the answer that came up from the Australian government’s homeaffairs website…

      “The maximum length of each visit is three months. An ETA is an electronically stored authority equivalent to a visa. There is no stamp or label placed in your passport. … An ETA is linked to the passport number that is used in an ETA application and the holder must use the same passport to travel to Australia.”

      Elsewhere it also said…

      “ETA (Electronic Travel Authority) ETAs are similar to eVisitor visa. Both allow you to visit Australia for up to three months. The main difference between them is where you apply and how much they cost.” – That one came from the Australian High Commission which I believe is their embassy in the UK.

      As for the insurance, just tell the insurers it’s an ETA 601, they should know what that is.

      Hope that helps, Bob

  • osman kaplan November 27, 2018, 10:23 pm | Link

    Hi Bob,

    I do intend to submit an onshore refugee application there. Do you have any information, if i enter the country on a transit visa ” up to 72 hours of stay is granted ” and submit an application in that period?
    Does this option work?

    Thank you

  • Amy June 10, 2018, 9:10 am | Link

    Hi I am just after abit of advice, my partner is Australian and we have 1 child together who is 4. We live in the uk and I have a child, 12, from a previous relationship. That child is diagnosed with ADHD and is in a mainstream school and is doing quite well. He is medicated. Would he be refused a visa if I went for a spousal visa? Me and my partner have been together 7 years. Thank you.

    • BobinOz June 11, 2018, 5:34 pm | Link

      I can’t really answer this question, when it comes to the medical each case is looked at individually and it’s all a bit of a grey area. But if you Google “Fact Sheet 22 – The Health Requirement” you can read the Australian Government’s criteria on this which will hopefully give you a better idea.

  • EXCELLENT May 24, 2018, 6:51 pm | Link

    Hello Bob

    I’m eager to Migrate to Australia to Work in the Factory or Farm . How do I go about it ?. I’m currently in Nigeria

  • Ryan Evans April 28, 2018, 12:26 pm | Link


    I would like to see if I am eligible for the Visa 400. I am currently on a working holiday visa 417, and I work at Monash University’ in the microbiology department but my Visa is coming to an End, mid way through the year. My manager would like me to finish the last semester which is 3 months, after that, the department are then moving building in which my job will be fulfilled by other members, as the university is making job cuts, does this class as non on-going? my manager doesn’t want to hire someone for one semester, with all the training needed?


  • nabil shayk April 13, 2018, 5:19 am | Link

    Hi Bob, I was not answered for Nov 6 th 2017 query ,can I have your mail ID plz .Thanks Bob

    • BobinOz April 13, 2018, 9:03 pm | Link

      No, you didn’t, because your questions were actually about visa options and eligibility. I don’t answer those, please read the two important notices at the foot of the above article.

  • Sofie April 3, 2018, 7:54 am | Link

    Hi Bob, I wonder about my return visa label in my old passport…
    Sweden here! Long story short, as a child i lived in Australia for four years. I went to a catolic school. My sister is born in Australia and my mom was married and devorced. Thats why we moved home to Sweden.
    In my old passport i have a label with a return visa, and stamps immigration to enter and remain for residence. I am 38 years now. Can i renew my return visa?
    Thank you Bob for a great blog!

    • BobinOz April 5, 2018, 8:08 pm | Link

      I really don’t know, does it have an expiry date? You would be best off speaking to a MARA registered migration agent about your situation, they would be able to advise.

  • Rochelle March 21, 2018, 9:34 am | Link

    Hi, I’m looking to move to Australia party with my mother and my daughter, my mother is retired, I work part time in a clothes store and my daughter 3 years old.
    we have the funds to move, and have family who live in Perth, my uncle and his children.
    I have no idea what visa we would need to apply for. But the main question is do you need a skill to move over there as we dont have any?? Thanks

  • Chris March 3, 2018, 1:33 am | Link

    hi, how do find out which visa i should apply for,i am a mechanic with over 20 years experience, and have a girlfriend and a son, my brother already lives in Adelaide and has said that he will sponsor me, so I will have somewhere to stay when i go over, Chris

    • BobinOz March 5, 2018, 5:02 pm | Link

      Click on the link to the visa finder above and follow the step I step instructions.

  • anthony January 4, 2018, 10:37 pm | Link

    Hi i had studied in dubai uae in 2009 and worked in aviation for 5 years and now wanted to change my field of study and decided to study certificate 3/4 commercial cookery and diploma in hospitality.
    Pathway to Australia has assisted me with getting a offer letter for imagine education in Brisbane.
    They will be applying for the student visa etc.
    Would like to know if my visa can get rejected due to change of course and gap in education.
    I have sufficient funds in terms of bank statements and i am 29 years.
    Would like your thoughts on this with regard to the visa details.

  • Louise January 4, 2018, 7:06 am | Link

    Hi, I have looked into my options and have a couple of visa choices. However I’m a single parent with 3 young children and I’m wondering just how hard it is to move on your own and on a low income? Is there plenty of affordable childcare options? Do uk state benefits continue like child benefit and child disability allowance (I know some commonwealth countries have an agreement in place) Are there others who have gone it alone? It’s something I’ve always wanted but now I’m worried I won’t be able to manage with the kids

    • BobinOz January 4, 2018, 8:55 pm | Link

      I’m afraid I think it would be very difficult to do it as a single parent with three children, especially if you are on a low income. Moving to Australia is a very expensive process, even getting the visas for you all and paying for the flights will cost thousands. Then you are going to have to set up home when you get here, and probably paid to have all your stuff shipped out. It all adds up.

      I’m pretty sure your UK benefits will no longer be available when you move here, I don’t think there’s any such arrangement in place between our two countries. That said, don’t take my word for it, if it’s something you really want then really you should make as many fully inquiries as you can to see how much it would all cost you in your circumstances and if any benefits might be available.

      As for childcare, here in Australia I’m told it’s expensive but I don’t have any experience of it, so I don’t know the exact rates. Hope that helps a bit, good luck, Bob

  • Joseph Tyson December 4, 2017, 8:55 am | Link

    Hello Mr. Bobinoz

    I work at eraser factory inside China
    I want to migrate to country Tasmania!

    HELP ME!!!!


  • NabiShayk November 6, 2017, 7:03 am | Link

    Dear BOB , I am talking more of trade Tafe study visa approval in my 2) section any possibility ? Or can we OPT for an RTO online or for RTO one has to go onshore to prove the test , online RTO classes are possible or not ?
    Nabi shayk (again)

  • NabiShayk November 6, 2017, 6:34 am | Link

    Dear Bob, great to see U with lots of experience advising on issues .

    Iam an indian from well to do family my both siblings are highly educated & completed their education on time.
    But since my child hood as my father served air force & U know the air force culture,
    he( father)was a chain smoker & drunkard, we had bad childhood & this was one reason,
    I was emotional & was always looking out for money by any means.
    Just like most of the Americans & whites DO , most or to great % of guys n gals drop out without any proper education.

    I got 57%in my 10 th class i.e U call secondary , senior secondary was from National open school & also my BA graduation from Open or distance education .

    Now I have researched a lot on NET reg. Diff. Immigration & though canada being very easy one

    Again lack of job opportunities & still Canada being expensive drives my nuts n bolts with ? Mark if U don’t get a proper job& country climate is another factor .

    Except a very huge + factor that U have a USA to jump on to, but present scenario most of the US guy wants to jump this side of Canada .
    If I get the PR in Canada , I have only one Idea that’s to drive uber
    in case & again don’t know as most of the Punjabi students & other guys R already into .

    Do one really makes money in uber . Since I mentioned U I would like to go Australia bcoz of its dry weather n hourly payment rate for any job n as U know even Americans feel they should go to Australia.
    But again having said that the same thing is happening , once upon a time people were flooding Europe into spain just like now they R doing for canada & Australia .

    Already it smells as though both the countries would be heading for raseshion (this spelling is wrong) or the economy slowing down.

    Not having more jobs as many R their only part time work or “mal jobs or megear Sal jobs ” just like the german ones for students 450 Euros while they study .

    Now I really want to know since Australia is very costly place & both the immigration Canada & Australia R just hyped (dummy) once as Asians bent upon to clean ass for anything & not real one.

    Mara agents, ex-police & others R looting Students for the sake of PR .
    Both the countries look at the land size & population who ever comes to power will make owesum money

    I know Australia has tried to regulate & shows they R tight n will close door .But again main Biz is expat community only the more U bring in more money to all .

    Their is a point were things have to slow now & Mara agents R clearly telling that if Ur willing to trade certification , Even for most educated that’s the only chance left out
    1)in my case I m ready to do join a trade in Australia in any of the trade & then apply for PR
    skill or 489 which ever comes 1st as I m close to 45 now, n I have only option for 489 visa more & no points for age
    2 )is it possible as I am now 42 or 43 on Jan 2k18 Indian embassy would issue or decline my visa, chances of approval are Vry less.

    unless I take route of TR visa
    489 which is state sponsor or shall
    Ask the Mara agent to arrange a 457 its big agent CO they can manage.
    If I think in this manner, since taking Elico will be costly
    & going on visit visa n changing to study visa @ trade i.e for Tafe is a remote possibility .

    As shown by an Australian study agent Britghanica which says if student applies on shore a penalty 700 dollars , not a big deal if it’s possible .
    Now more over, status of Indians have moved up 2nd level countries ranking , just like any other countries .
    Thanks BOB ,
    Nabi Shayk .

  • Anna November 1, 2017, 9:38 pm | Link

    Hi Bob,
    Thank you for your time
    I’ve been in a long distance relationship with my Pakistan partner for just over 2 years
    We met once in Thailand for three weeks, because I’ve had a lot of trauma (my only child tragically died a year ago) and have been in therapy.
    We speak every day on watsapp and text a few times every day.
    My partner is a professional ( he has a bachelors in political science plus does international trade. He has a Thailand work visa and has traveled to many countries.
    We want to spend this Christmas and New Years Eve together in Australia … what are his chances of getting a tourist visa for 6 weeks ?
    If he gets granted a tourist visa, once he returns to Pakistan we will be applying for prospective spousal visa, or can we get married on a tourist visa and apply for a 820 bridging visa.
    I’m just confused as to which avenue to take..
    Thank you dearly for reading my story, and I thank you again in advance
    Many blessings

    • BobinOz November 2, 2017, 8:48 pm | Link

      As I have explained above though Anna in the two important messages at the end of this article, I just can’t answer these kinds of questions. If you need assistance, you need to speak to a MARA registered migration agent.

  • Jaswinder October 21, 2017, 1:22 pm | Link

    Hii,I got my permanent residence in 2016 from perth and renew my passport from melbourne in may 2017 so should i apply for my citizenship or is it risky??

    • BobinOz October 23, 2017, 6:43 pm | Link

      There is nothing risky about applying for citizenship, but there are rules about when you are able to do so. I think you need to look those rules up, to see where you stand.

  • Henry Odude August 24, 2017, 11:45 pm | Link

    I would wish to migrate to Australia from Kenya if given a chance which I really hope for, can someone consider my request please?

  • Flo May 22, 2017, 10:35 pm | Link

    Hi Bob! I sent my assesment application on May 11 (having payed on May 8) but I still haven’t heard from Simon, is there a way to check if he has gotten our questionnaire and cv’s?
    Thanks a bunch!

    • BobinOz May 22, 2017, 11:24 pm | Link

      Hi Flo

      Simon does usually acknowledge receipt of returned questionnaires, but I notice you have a Gmail account, often genuine messages get marked as spam in both Gmail and Hotmail accounts, it’s a bit of a problem.

      So can you please check your junk or spam folders to see if anything is there? If you can let me know, that would be great, but I will also check with Simon in the morning (it’s late at night here in Australia right now) to see if he’s got it.

      Cheers, Bob

      • Flo May 23, 2017, 1:50 am | Link

        Thanks Bob!

        I do check and clean my spam folder almost daily, unfortunately there’s nothing there, so I’ll wait to see what Simon says, and if he hasn’t gotten it yet, I’ll just send it again.

        Cheers and good evening!

        • BobinOz May 23, 2017, 8:00 pm | Link

          Simon tells me he did acknowledge receipt of your returned questionnaire the same day he received it, which was 12/5/17. He didn’t reply to the email you are using to post this comment though, he replied to a different Gmail address which you indicated was your preference in the questionnaire.

          It begins with the p and has six letters, have you checked that email account? Anyway, by my calculations Simon has now had your questionnaire for eight working days, so you should receive your full assessment any time soon.

          Hope it goes well, thanks, Bob

  • Alyssa March 21, 2017, 4:22 am | Link

    Hi Bob,
    What a wonderful, informative website. Thank you! I am in the process of planning/ trying to migrate to AUS from the US. I’ve read around quite a bit on your website, so may have missed the tidbit where you’ve gone over this, but had a question about visas.
    I am a speech pathologist and just received a positive skills assessment from Speech Pathology Australia. I’ve reviewed which visas I qualify for since SP is on the SOL and am debating between visas. My plan is to be in AUS for 3+ years, if not longer… I think I am leaning toward the subclass 189 or 457 visas. If I were to go with the 457 visa, does this mean that I need to be applying for jobs/trying to find a sponsor now?? Should I start on the WHV (I’m under 30) and wait until I am in AUS to attempt to find a sponsoring employer? I’m unsure of how easy or difficult it is to find someone who would sponsor a visa- which is another reason why I feel it would possibly be worth my investment to go for the 189, although slightly more money, seems to have more options and allows freedom. Do you know if there are limitations to that visa- such as needing to be living in the country a certain amount of time before applying/qualifying for that? I have not seen anything, but could have missed those details.
    I am also curious about the Expression of Interest portion of the visa process…do you know how long it takes to hear back/be invited for the visas you’re applying for? Should I gather my supporting evidence prior to launching an EOI?
    Any suggestions or tips that you could give me would be great! I appreciate your time and look forward to hearing from you.
    Thank you!!

    • Mark March 21, 2017, 9:23 am | Link

      Hi Alyssa Some of the visa questions on here do not get a answer as its coming close to breaking rules for folk and so on. Yours is a bit different Ill start with the easy answer Sponsored visa you will need a job so how long is a piece of string not being in the country may not help Then if you come you have arguably the time of a working visa to find a job and get them to sponsor you or at east start the process. A visa of your own whether state sponsored or not allows you to come here and then get a job but it takes longer to get one. Its arguably chicken and egg as whichever way when you get here at some point you will need a job…..

      It depends on how in demand you are You could land a job immediately or not Why not contact a few potential employers I m guessing your heading fro Sydney or Melbourne I also imagine you can have a WHV and apply for a PR visa as well for that you could do worth having conversation with a MARA agent You then could come out find a job and have the back up of the PR visa Yes gather your supporting evidence but watch expiry dates on things ..Finally this depends to some extent on how much you have to fall back on eg come out look for job, end up doing something else is not ideal or you may of course land perfect job. Good luck with it all

  • Me March 11, 2017, 2:15 am | Link

    Having my parents apply for the normal PR visa… they one that takes 30 yrs hahha.
    Can they then apply for the new 5yr visa while the PR visa is in the q as wel.

  • Maria March 6, 2017, 3:12 pm | Link

    My in-laws visitor visa to Australia expires on 31 March 2017 which allowed them to stay up to 3 months in Australia, does this mean they can come to Australia as visitors on or before 31 March 2017 and stay for 2-3 months?

  • Zoe Taylor February 8, 2017, 1:58 am | Link

    Hi Bob

    I know you don’t give advice on VISA’s and have a MARA agent that you recommend. However, we are someway down the line with our MARA agent based here in the UK. We have had the skills assessment done (189), all fine and the EOI has gone through so we are at Form 80 stage. However, our MARA has started to ignore us saying that he is very busy. We emailed him with some important questions last week and he’s now saying that he can’t drop all of his clients because of us! I don’t suppose you know if there is a route to make a complaint? Also, I learned from your blog that I need 5 years on my passport before entering Oz. He hasn’t picked this up and I am now concerned that I will need to get it renewed before filling in the Form 80? I understand if you can’t help with any of this, but any advice would be gratefully received.



    • Mark February 8, 2017, 8:15 am | Link

      Hi Zoe It may be the case your MARA is up to his neck in it. Its my own view that right now is for them like Mothers day is for a florist, utter chaos. So many in England are watching down under programs and the long month of January in the cold …Plus USA Canada and so on Id liek to think you are well down the process so you almost a done deal and It may be if as most are one man bands even working in agencies he is trying to grab as many as he can from the deluge that appears at this time of year to sustain him in leaner times…. here….It may be you are correct he is just ignoring you.but I feel it less likely I am only playing devils advocate… Only you and him know what is going on…I am assuming he will be checking the 80 before its submitted….How about email saying how excited you are and thats making you very eager and I know how your busy you are etc etc and then your questions If your only question is the passport I am pretty sure times may have changed, and looking at it you dont need five years having read what is public domain. it would appear you simply get your new passport and even on DIB website it says this
      The following online forms are available in ImmiAccount:
      Appointment or withdrawal of an authorised recipient (including migration agent)
      Change of address details
      Change of email address details
      Change of passport details
      So you can go into your account and update the passport number in time to come I have to do it with our children soon So at least thats one less problem that you may be blaming him for eg not spotting it It looks like he has no need . If the otters are easy questions . Whilst Bob and anyone else cannot give migration advice I cant see how anyone can complain about pointing out where forms are etc and others can give details of their experience which may help and guide you, certainly with small issues like this Incidentally it also says on the website there is also a form for change of passport for what might be termed postal manual system its form 90. As they are registered then there will likely be some operating body but as your this close get the visa in and then complain, if you still feel it right ti do so. After all and I am not suggesting he would but imagine getting a complaint about you and there are two forms to process on your desk the complainer and the other its likely the complainer will be done the following day…. Are your otehr questions simple ish

    • BobinOz February 8, 2017, 9:39 pm | Link

      Just to reiterate what Mark has said, yes, it is a busy time of the year at the moment for MARA agents. I call it the New Year’s resolution crowd, my website traffic always increases in January and February and my MARA agent is busy as.

      To answer your question though, yes, there is somewhere you can go to complain, it’s, details are on my page called Migration agents.

      I’d give your agent a chance though, no point in rocking the boat now, sounds like you are 90% of the way into the process.

      • Zoe Taylor February 9, 2017, 12:18 am | Link

        Hi both

        Thanks for the speedy responses. We both understand that he is busy but he has also been incredibly rude within several responses and has also changed the name of his company during the process, telling us that ‘mistakes were being made’ and also personal info that we didn’t really need to know and might affect his job IMO. As you both point out though, we are a good way through and he probably knows he has us over a barrel… Thanks for the info on the passport – that has at least eased my mind! We won’t be complaining right now – just hoping he gets back to us as we want to submit the VISA application asap! Thanks again.

        • BobinOz February 9, 2017, 9:04 pm | Link

          Well, let’s hope your agents or is it all out and get a contract with it. If he doesn’t know, you do know where to go to complain now. Fingers crossed for you.

  • anuj Kumar December 18, 2016, 7:51 pm | Link

    Hie Bobinoz ..Howz u as I saw so many comments so after reading such comments I m pretty much sure that you gonna give me ryt guidance as I am indian and did my and pass out 2014 after that I m doing job and have a experience about nearly 2 years and wants to apply for work pr for Australia so plz guide me what to and how to do in a cheap legal way ……So that I can afford fees and I have some relative in Australia also so plz guide me. Thanx

    • BobinOz December 19, 2016, 8:05 pm | Link

      I am surprised, given that you have read so many comments, that you’d didn’t notice I don’t give this kind of advice. You need to speak to a MARA registered migration agent.

  • Aaron December 7, 2016, 8:07 pm | Link

    Hi Bob, im born australian and my wife an australian citizen , vietnamese born with her mother living in the USA. Which visa type is best and fastest to support her in australia to live?

    • BobinOz December 8, 2016, 8:28 pm | Link

      There are no guarantees your mother-in-law would qualify for a visa, never mind fastest. I’m afraid it really is complicated, that’s why you must speak to a MARA registered migration agent about how best to proceed. Good luck, Bob

  • Prakash November 22, 2016, 6:57 pm | Link

    Hi Bob,
    I am planning to apply for SkillSelect for Australian immigration.
    From all the information on sub classes 189,190 and 489, I couldn’t come to a judgement on which one to apply for. I do not have any blood relatives staying the Australia. Could you please advice.


  • Tony Murphy November 16, 2016, 3:30 am | Link

    I would like to hear from other elderly parents whose only child is living in Australia and who have or want to move there. I am 70 yeas old English National, still working and my wife is 71 yeas old Finnish National. We live in South Africa and have South African Nationalities as well. Our only child is living in Australia on the temporary visa with her Australian boyfriend. We are desperate to retire in Australia to be nearer to her and our future grandchildren. Would like to know if there is any hope for us to get a visa.

    • BobinOz November 16, 2016, 5:43 pm | Link

      Well, hopefully somebody in the same position as you will see this and give you their opinion on it.

      As for any hope, you would either need to speak to a MARA migration agent about that or visit my page called Visas.

      If you watch the video there, it shows you how to go to the government’s website, answer some simple questions and then see if any visas are available to you.

      Good luck, Bob

  • Ashok November 4, 2016, 10:21 am | Link

    Hi Bob,

    This is Ashok again 🙂

    I have a situation here where I’m a Indian national and my wife is a Malaysian national and my baby was born in India. Both me and my wife were granted a Subclass 457 visa by the Department of Immigration & Citizenship on 13th May 2016 and our visa is valid until 13th May 2020. Both my wife and baby are in India currently.
    I have applied for a 457 dependent visa for my baby earlier this week and I was advised that the waiting period is 3 months. Unfortunately, my wife do not have a valid visa in India until then. Her visa expires early Jan.

    1. Is there any way to expedite the process?
    2. Can I bring my baby in tourist visa first and wait for the wait period to be finished?
    3. Heard about bridging visa. Can I get that one once I’m here while waiting for the 457 visa to be approved?

    Awaiting your response on this Bob.

    Thanks as always.


  • mohammed j kromah October 27, 2016, 1:36 am | Link

    hello my name is mohammed j kromah am a high school graduate from the republic of Liberia but staying in Sierra Leone Bo city can you please send me all necessary information to my in box . THANKS.

    • BobinOz October 27, 2016, 7:47 pm | Link

      All the information? That might take a while.

  • Sneha October 20, 2016, 1:35 am | Link

    Hi Bob. Thanks for your blog. It’s really helpful. I was just wondering if you could provide an estimate of cost for the whole process. I did see a cost of 150$ (and a discount of 50$ if we were readers of your blog, and used the same MARA agent as you did). But that would be only for assessment of our case, points and suggestions to improve our chances etc right? What if we needed help with the positive skill assessment, and EOI? If you can provide an estimate, I would really appreciate it. Thanks,

    • BobinOz October 20, 2016, 6:56 pm | Link

      Glad you like my website, thank you.

      Yes, the payment after the discount is only for the assessment, but within the assessment you will be given a full written quote of what it would cost you to take it further if you wanted to do so.

      The quote includes government fees and also my MARA agent fees should you decide to appoint him to represent you. If you need help with skills assessment and EOI, optional prices for that are also included in the quote.

      It’s impossible to say how much it will be before your assessment, simply because my MARA agent doesn’t know which visa you will be applying for or the amount of work involved. What I can tell you though is that my MARA agent’s fees are extremely competitive, you will not be disappointed. But with something like 130 different visas, and different government fees for them and also additional fees for family members, it’s impossible to quote you before you go through the assessment.

      Hope that helps, and good luck, Bob

  • Melissa September 30, 2016, 3:31 pm | Link

    Hi how are you going? I was wondering if i could ask you a question about applying for visa 189. I am on a student visa which expires 31/12/16. I’m submitting my skills assessment to AITSL in november (uni results release 4 November) and i’ll have to wait 10 weeks for the skills assessment. by then my student visa will expire. Question – how do i extend my student visa (no further stay condition NOT PRESENT) and stay in the country while waiting to apply for my EOI and wait for my invitation? currently sitting on 75 points for Early Childhood Teacher. thank you!

    • BobinOz October 2, 2016, 10:30 pm | Link

      As I stated above Melissa, you would need to speak to a MARA registered migration agent, I really can’t help with these kinds of questions. If there is a way for you to stay in the country, a MARA agent will be able to help you with it. Good luck, Bob

  • Taiwo September 25, 2016, 9:31 am | Link

    Hi Bob,
    Thank you for this informative post,i am a citizen of Nigeria with various visit to the Europe.i am 26year old with a job in achitecture.I will like to visit Australia for a 14days tour do you have any information that might help prove to the Visa Officer that my intention is purely for holiday and i will return back to Nigeria after 2weeks of holiday.Im happily married with 2kids i will appreciate any advise
    Thanks Bob

    • BobinOz October 2, 2016, 5:06 pm | Link

      No I don’t. All you can do is answer the questions honestly and let the immigration department decide for themselves. Good luck, Bob

  • Derrick himmel September 21, 2016, 4:18 pm | Link

    Hi Bob, I’m am American and I’ve always wanted to move out of the US because I just don’t agree with a lot of the things going on today. Australia has always been the place I have wanted to move to and I’ve been wanting to get more information on if I will even be eligible to move there. I’m only 21 years old and have been working in carpentry for 3 years, but I filled out some skilled profession form and was told that I didn’t qualify. I have also thought a lot about furthering my education in Australia considering I decided to go into a trade instead of college. I had a good gpa and great scores on my SAT/ACT’s and would’ve been able to attend probably 80% of schools in the US. Is that an option that I would be able to consider and possibly qualify for? And are there any visas that you would think I could possibly be eligible for?

    • BobinOz September 21, 2016, 7:51 pm | Link

      If you want to explore the idea of coming here on a student visa to study, then you can get some help from my expert, see my page about Student Visas.

      For other visa options though, you really do need to speak to a MARA registered migration agent about your situation. Good luck, Bob

  • Kerry Ann Coates September 8, 2016, 3:02 pm | Link

    Hi bob which is the best place to live in Australia away dangerous animals and spiders

    • BobinOz September 8, 2016, 11:55 pm | Link

      A fifth story apartment in Elizabeth Street, Hobart, Tasmania 🙂

      Seriously though, I really wouldn’t suggest anybody chooses where to live in Australia based on the possibility of bumping into a dangerous animal or spider, it’s far better to choose where you want to live based on, well, where you want to live.

      Australia is a very safe country and our dangerous critters get more publicity than they deserve. See my page about Australia’s Killer Creatures and Death.

      Good luck, Bob

  • Mario September 3, 2016, 5:33 am | Link

    Hi. I found your site very helpfull. I was wondering if someone is granted a visa subclass 189 and finally enters australia, can he apply for any job?

    • BobinOz September 4, 2016, 8:35 pm | Link

      Sorry Mario, but I can’t answer these kinds of questions, please see my important notices above. It might be a good idea if you had a chat with a MARA agent, they would be able to clear this up for you.

  • Doherty August 28, 2016, 7:35 pm | Link

    Hello, I have found your site very informative! I know you cannot answer case specific questions but I just wondered in all your research about visas if you might know the answer to my query! My husband and I are both teachers on the SOL and both plan to work. Do we both need a working visa (it’s the subclass 189), or can one person be the main applicant and the other a dependent and still work when they get there? Thanks in advance Bob.

    • BobinOz August 29, 2016, 6:32 pm | Link

      Because of the laws in Australia this is still one of those questions that I am not able to answer, even though I know the answer.

      However, if you watch the video above it does tell you how to find out this kind of information. Then click on the recommended link to the government’s immigration website and you can find out the answer for yourself. Just select the visa subclass 189 and then when you get to the details page about that visa, click on the link that says “What this visa lets you do” and just check that the visa type allows you to bring your family.

      Hope that helps, good luck, Bob

  • Susie July 25, 2016, 11:33 pm | Link

    I am separated to an australian man not yet legally devorced. Now i have found a new love of my life which is australian also he invited me for a holiday . Is there any fair chances for me to be able to go to australia with different sponsor?? Please help me answer my quarries thank you

  • Anil sharma July 11, 2016, 11:41 am | Link

    Sir i need Dr. Job anywhere. I work hard and i become a sucessful person. Sir I request u plzz u give me jo. I quilified science my contact no. -+919813542871

  • Bhavesh July 7, 2016, 2:34 pm | Link

    I thank you Sir bob. You are very helpfu person. That’s great. Even I’m following you on Twitter! Thankz.

  • neha rohra July 4, 2016, 3:39 pm | Link

    I m beautation i m skin slpiest hace exprince of 15 yers can i get job Australia

  • Geeta June 22, 2016, 1:42 pm | Link

    Hi bod it’s me Geeta from India . I have 12 passed certificate. I want to to Australia for study beautician course I am 33 year old . It that any possible for me

    • Ritu June 28, 2016, 9:08 pm | Link

      Geeta, get in touch with me if you are so interested in doing beautician course in US

    • satya July 8, 2016, 8:51 pm | Link

      greta ,

      if you are interested to move to dubai . get in touch with me .

    • Yasir August 23, 2016, 11:43 pm | Link

      Hi geeta yasir .i am 33 year

  • Bhavesh Katariya June 15, 2016, 6:37 pm | Link

    Sir Bob,

    I wanted to ask dat I’m from india nd I wnt to work in Australia nd also moved so could I get some help from u. wht should I prepare. nd what should I do for getting such visa. I request u to help me.

  • Atakilti June 9, 2016, 8:37 am | Link

    Hi bob my name is atakilti i am eritrean notinality but i lived in israel i have a big problem my mother from eritrea my father from ethiopya so. But i donkow my father. Eritrean govermonet he seid me you are not eritrea becouse your father is from etiopya so go to your father he seid me. How i can go to my father becouse i dontnow my father. Now i live in israel israel goverment is very very dunjer becouse is not have humanity. Sory iam not writte good in engilish help help please help help me thnks. Mister bob

    • BobinOz June 9, 2016, 8:15 pm | Link

      I’m assuming you are asking if I can help you get a visa to move to Australia? I’m afraid I’m not able to do that, only MARA registered migration agents are able to assist and it is only the Australian Government who issue the visas.

      So I’m afraid I can’t assist you with this in any way, but I do hope you find a solution to your problem.

  • jay kumar Pazaniappan June 6, 2016, 5:14 pm | Link

    Hi Mr. Bob

    I am a singaporean, just finished my diploma in audio engineering and would like to seek job in Australia. How do i get a sponsor to apply a work visa.
    Need your advice


    • BobinOz June 7, 2016, 11:36 pm | Link

      Getting a job sponsorship isn’t easy, but you will find help with that on my page called Getting a Job or a Sponsorship. Good luck, Bob

      • Kali July 14, 2016, 4:32 pm | Link

        Hi Bob,
        My boyfriend and I are looking to move to Australia from the USA within the next year. I’m 20 years old and he is 22. He has management experience and I have customer service experience. We are both looking for job opportunites and housing in Australia. If you could recommend job sites and visa applications for us, that would be very helpful.
        Thank you for helping us with this opportunity.
        Sincerely, Kali

  • carol May 30, 2016, 1:07 pm | Link

    hello good day pls can i ask how to get a tourist visa to australia i want to know more about coz i want to go to australia for tourist only hope i can hear back soon thanks for read my comment have good day from carol

  • Christine Eslick May 27, 2016, 9:52 pm | Link

    Hi there, I am 61 grandmother of 6, both my children immigrated 18 months ago and I would like to find out how I go about immigrating as well. Any help will be appreciated,

    Kind regards

  • Neha May 21, 2016, 3:20 am | Link

    Hii Bob

    plz let me one thing that my fiance living in Melbourne. He is student of cookery.I am from I can come to Melbourne nd live with my fiance. If I hve apply tourist visa so I can get easily ??fiance visa finish in march 2017.if u have any other options so plz tell February 2016 we get engaged. My fiance was come to India.

  • Tina May 18, 2016, 1:43 am | Link

    Hi bob, im a registered nurse in the UK wanting to emigrate to Melbourne. I want to look at sponsored visa options. I have husband, 2 children and my mother who I need to go on my visa. How would I begin this process?

    Kind regards

    • BobinOz May 18, 2016, 11:15 pm | Link

      Well, you need to either speak to a MARA registered migration agent about your situation, or if you really want to try and do it yourself, check out my pages Getting a Job or a Sponsorship and Nurses, doctors and dentists in Australia.

      Just a warning though, you may find it very difficult to include your mother on your visa application and for that reason, I think you really do need to speak to a MARA registered migration agent. Good luck, Bob

      • Tina May 19, 2016, 4:52 pm | Link

        Thank you. I would be going down the lines of proving she is dependent on me. Which she is financially and socially. Do you know of the visa requirements to prove parents dependency?

        Kind regards

        • BobinOz May 19, 2016, 7:37 pm | Link

          No I don’t, you would really need to speak to a MARA migration agent about that. Good luck, Bob

  • Riikka Talsi May 13, 2016, 7:24 am | Link


    We have a one year old daughter and we would like move to Australia for attleast for one year. Is there any visa what would fit for us? My husband would work in your friends restaurant, but the restaurant is so new that the sponsor deal wouldt work for us.

  • Clare Tyson May 13, 2016, 5:53 am | Link

    Hi Bob,

    I’d like to know if is possible/allowed to get 417 Working Holiday visa, while having an application for 309/100 Partner visa already being processed?

    I know that you can’t comment on specifics of individual cases, but wanted to check that point specifically, as from lots of searching on the DIAC website and elsewhere I can’t seem to find an answer.

    I know I meet the criteria for a 417 visa (age eligibility, UK citizen, not had a 417 before) and am pretty confident of being eligible for a 309/100 visa (have lived together for 3 years, and were together for 3 years before that), but am anxious about the currently estimated processing times for the 309/100 visas, so looking to see if I could enter on another visa while awaiting decision.

    Many thanks for any thoughts you’re able to provide!

    • BobinOz May 13, 2016, 5:49 pm | Link

      It’s not individual cases I cannot comment on Clare, I am not qualified to give advice in any way whatsoever about eligibility and visa options, only MARA migration agents are allowed to do that. If you have any doubts, I strongly suggest you talk to one before proceeding. Good luck, Bob

  • Neil Duncan May 6, 2016, 10:30 am | Link


    Would anyone perhaps no if i myself would be able to do my driving test in Australia. I’m British and i lost my licence in 2009 for two years but obviously I’ve been eligible to retake my test again which has to be the pass plus test but i’m hopefully going to be in Australia for two years and am just wondering if it would be possible for me to take my driving test anywhere in OZ??

    • BobinOz May 6, 2016, 7:08 pm | Link

      Hi Neil

      Well, I’m pretty sure you can, what I’m not quite sure about though is this ‘pass plus test’ that you mention, I really don’t know what that is.

      Here in Australia, each state and territory has their own transport departments, and it’s possible that each might do things in a slightly different way. For example, here in Queensland, we have the Department of Transport and Main Roads.

      What I suggest you do is Google similar titles for whatever state is you intend to go to find the right department and then look for the section on taking a driving test. That should clear it all up for you. Good luck, Bob

Leave a Comment

If your comment doesn’t get answered, find out why…..
FAQs and Comment Policy.