Migration Advice

I have called this page Migration Advice and that’s what you will find here. But it is also a resources page, with a mix of FAQs, along with some tips to help you plan your move. It is also a place where I can point you towards some useful articles on the blog that have got buried in the archives.

Ask Bob…

If you have a question about life in Australia or moving to Australia, I’m sure you will find the answer here. But if you don’t, just ask your question as a comment on the most relevant page.

Please do be aware though that I CANNOT answer any questions about getting a visa or visa applications, only MARA registered migration agents have the skills and knowledge to assist with such matters.

Questions about visas and applications.

Firstly, for those seriously looking to move to Australia and who want to know exactly how to proceed, I offer a professional assessment service conducted by a fully qualified MARA migration agent.

I highly recommend him, please check out my Visa Assessment Service.

The price of stuff in Australia:

Living in Australia:

Important: Please read before commenting…

And for those looking for professional assistance…

Open a bank account in Australia
{ 1543 comments… add one }
  • Deepak December 8, 2017, 12:02 pm | Link

    Hello bob,
    This is Deepak, software engineer from India. I’m planning to migrate to NSW – Far South Coast via the 489 visa. I would want to know the part time job opportunities available in Berry, Nowra, Ulladulla, Culburra Beach (Far South Coast). Also, do they have IT firms? I really skeptical about migrating to Far South coast as it looks to be isolated and not IT companies.
    Please share your valuable thoughts, it will be really helpful for me. Thanks!

    • BobinOz December 8, 2017, 5:44 pm | Link

      I don’t know the area personally or anything about the job scene in that part of Australia, but you can do some thorough research using the links on my page Getting a Job or a Sponsorship.

      You can narrow your search down into specific areas, so that should help answer your questions.

  • NELSON SUNDAY November 24, 2017, 9:02 pm | Link

    Hello Bob good day! Really wanna appreciate your work here….got some questions….
    Am a SSCE holder from Nigeria with a professional laundry skill of 6yrs experiences. Really wanna travel to Australia with hope of getting a job in my field but am not really such of which visa is preferable either work visa or study visa but I honestly do need to work so i could raise money. Please advise

  • Lucy November 11, 2017, 3:11 am | Link

    Hi Bob,
    Myself and my husband are in the early stages of our application (hubby is waiting to take English test to get more points). Just wondered if someone could answer a question about relevant qualifications in Aus for me, I’m a registered child minder and want to continue if we get our visa, I think I need to do a level 3 early years educator course here so I can continue working as a home based child care provider I just want to make sure it’s relevant in Aus before I do it any suggestions on where I could find this out?

    Thanks Lucy in Kent

    • BobinOz November 13, 2017, 5:07 pm | Link

      I think what you would need to do Lucy is find out which body governs registered childminders here in Australia, and then check out their website to see if there is any information that can help you. You might even have to contact them direct to find out what steps you need to take to become qualified to continue working here in that field.

  • Claire Saunders November 2, 2017, 9:59 am | Link

    Hi Bob
    I have a question for you, I am currently on a Student Visa, my school have stopped offering the course that I have my COE for. I have met an Australian and we are going to go defacto but my question is what are the implications if I cancel my Student visa for my defacto relationship? Will I have working rights?

    Thank you

  • Catrin October 27, 2017, 1:07 am | Link

    Hi Bob,
    I hope you’re well. Thanks a million for the fab site – it’s helped me out no end!
    My husband and I have been granted our PRs and are moving to Brisbane at the end of January. We have a hotel booked for the first 3 weeks, which I’m hoping will give us time to find an apartment (but we can extend it as necessary). We’ll be renting out our London house fully furnished and are looking forward to starting afresh so we’re travelling quite light. Some stuff will be shipped, and we’ll be getting separate insurance to cover that. But where I’m struggling to find proper answers is when it comes to one-way/immigration insurance for us and our belongings that will be flying with us. I’ve found one company (Go Walkabout) which will insure us for up to 31 days, so we’d be covered in the period after we have arrived and before we are able to take out permanent home and contents insurance. Most companies will only cover us until we arrive at the Australian border. However, all seem to have pretty low limits when it comes to personal belongings. If we’re bringing various electronics and all our valuables, I’m worried that only a couple of thousand (pounds) worth won’t help us if a suitcase goes missing or if our hotel room gets robbed. I realise it was a while since you went through this, but I wondered if you had any advice? Am I sinking too deep into the worst-case-scenario and need to chill out a bit?!
    Thanks, and apologies for the long post.

    • Mark October 28, 2017, 8:50 am | Link

      Hi Catrin
      I think you may have answered your own question towards the end.. I agree though insurance is important both Bob and myself to name but two benefited from Marine cargo insurance with damaged items and a vacuum cleaner that has never appeared anywhere…Nemo is vacuuming. However there is only so far you can sensibly go. You will always find some company who will insure anything but the price will negate the risk value …Assuming you have your mail diverted form London to Moms in Guildford or wherever then a holiday insurance will work within reason ..having said that you are staying in Australia not Lagos or Birmingham (sorry Brummies that’s not the Alabama one) You should be relatively OK touch wood…

      • Catrin October 28, 2017, 10:27 pm | Link

        Thanks Mark. I do have a tendency to over-think!

        • BobinOz October 30, 2017, 7:14 pm | Link

          Here’s an idea. Australia is pretty big on self storage and these places are also big on security, CCTV cameras and everything. Not sure how much stuff you’re bringing, but I’m pretty sure you won’t need daily access to much of it in your hotel room.

          Maybe you can book a months worth of very small and safe storage space and take your cases straight there and get them locked up until you find somewhere permanent to live? Might be worth looking into.

  • Chandrashekar October 25, 2017, 5:35 pm | Link

    Dear Bob, I have applied for PR 189 for myself, my wife and Son making my wife as a primary applicant. Now we are waiting for PCC update. I have two questions
    1. since I am a dependent applicant, is it ok that I travel first to Australia for job and then get my family after getting job? or do I need to travel with my wife only?
    2. Am I eligible to study in Australia ? coz I am looking for a graduation in Pshychology and switch from IT to Counselling field.

    • Chandrashekar November 11, 2017, 11:58 pm | Link

      Bob, please respond to my questions. I need your suggestions.

      • BobinOz November 13, 2017, 5:16 pm | Link

        Dear Chandrashekar, please read the two important notices at the bottom of the above article.

  • Glenda September 23, 2017, 1:57 am | Link

    Hey Bob,

    My boyfriend and I are moving to Australia in Jan 2018 as I have been granted permanent residency. We have been in a “de facto” relationship for over 2 years now however we both live at home with my parents. We have never rented a property together and so cannot really prove that we have lived together other than my parent’s say so. Will this be a problem when applying for his visa?

    Thank you! Glen

    • BobinOz September 25, 2017, 8:01 pm | Link

      Are you saying you have already been granted your permanent residency visa, but in your application you did not even mention your de facto boyfriend and now you are hoping to add him in?

      I think it is more usual to have included him from the start when you initially applied, so maybe it will be a problem now, especially as you cannot provide the proofs they normally require, but I really don’t know. Immigration will be able to answer that for you, but my advice would be for you to seek the assistance of a MARA registered migration agent. Good luck, Bob

  • Bertoni Leonardo September 21, 2017, 3:14 pm | Link

    Hi Bob, by chance I have found your website. My family is moving to Australia at the end of 2017. Unfortunately, our pets arent cleared for import into Australia until 1 month later. My question is this. Is it necessary for a human to fly with them on their flight too Oz, pick them up at baggage claim, take them to Mickleham PEQ & show all their paper work? Is it possible for someone to send them off to fly on their own, while we would be ready to receive them when they land? Or do they automatically get picked up & shuttled to PEQ upon landing? Thank you.

    • BobinOz September 21, 2017, 11:59 pm | Link

      No, it is not necessary for a human to fly with your pets, in fact it’s not actually possible for you to pick them up from baggage claim and take them to quarantine. Only authorised personnel are allowed to do that, so you will need to engage the services of a pet exporter company.

      My page about Bringing Your Pet to Australia will help you with that.

      When we moved to Australia, we sent our dog ahead of us, so that when we arrived he was ready to come out of quarantine. Hope that helps, Bob

  • Amanda Love September 17, 2017, 5:32 pm | Link

    Hi Bob

    We are planning the move early next year to Melbourne. Everything is moving along nicely, however I desperately want to take our 2 cats with us. The issue is I am struggling to find temp accommodation that would allow this until we find a permanent rental from the other end. What did you guys do? Would love any advice you can give my family!

    • BobinOz September 18, 2017, 9:06 pm | Link

      I think the best solution is to keep trying to find temporary accommodation that will allow pets, they are about. Try Airbnb and Stayz, see if you can find somewhere on their websites where you can stipulate pet friendly.

      The only other possible answer is to ask a friend or relative where you currently are to look after your cats and then have them sent out to Australia after you found more permanent accommodation here that will allow pets.

  • Dionne September 5, 2017, 8:55 pm | Link

    Hi Bob, im looking at a working visa. However, I need to come back to the UK 3 times next year for weddings. So if I don’t do my 3 months farm work before I leave for the first trip back to the Uk, does that mean I cant stay longer than the 12 months?

    • BobinOz September 7, 2017, 8:19 pm | Link

      Sorry Dionne, but I’m really not sure how this would work. Going back three times is a lot, makes me wonder if perhaps it might not be a better idea to delay your working holiday visa until those weddings are all out of the way.

      If that’s not possible though, and you want a specific answer to your question, I think you will need to talk to the immigration department or maybe a MARA registered migration agent. Alternatively, you can watch the video on my page about Visas which will show you how to use the government’s website to view the specific terms that apply to each visa type.

  • Olg September 5, 2017, 12:06 pm | Link

    Hi Bob! Thank you for your help in advance.
    My daughter’s been living in Australia since 2010. She had student visa, then visa for people under 31, last one was bridging visa. But relationship has ended in August 2017. She is licensed pharmacist and she found sponsored job. But I don’t know if it is right thing to do in her case. What are her chances to get permanent status in Australia?
    Could you please give advice what she should do?
    Thank you

  • Ash August 26, 2017, 2:37 pm | Link

    Hi bob,
    I just want to know currently how many points are required for an electrical engineer to get permanent residency ?

  • Jtc August 21, 2017, 5:47 am | Link

    Hello Bob ,
    Hope you are doing fine ….
    I’m an Indian engineer working as structural engineer in ship building firm in Dubai (not civil structure ) . I am awaiting my 489 visa for NSW… I am searching for a suitable region to relocate where I can get a job in ship building or any other industry …. But I’m not able to find much details . Also let me know whether I can get some casual jobs to survive till I get a job in my area of expertise

    • BobinOz August 21, 2017, 5:45 pm | Link

      All the information I have on finding work in Australia can be found on my page called Getting a Job or a Sponsorship. The job market is quite tough here in Australia at the moment, there are no guarantees of getting work, either in your chosen profession or casual.

  • Stephen Cantwell August 18, 2017, 6:46 am | Link

    Hi Bob, my son has lived and worked in perth for just over 4 years he now has his residency. He’s just recently discovered that his visa might be in jepordy because he moved jobs / companies before his 2 year sponsership with the company he started with was complete.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

    • BobinOz August 18, 2017, 1:51 pm | Link

      This isn’t something I can help with, but if your son has received some official communication from the immigration department or the government about his situation and he is concerned, he should speak to a MARA registered migration agent or a lawyer.

  • Victoria August 16, 2017, 2:20 am | Link

    Hi Bob,
    Please help me to know if this global special humanitarian program subclass visa 202 thing for the entrance Clarence certificate is real and required an administrative fees as stated in the documents. And it is not a scam. I live in West Africa, Liberia and received an email stating that i am s selected nominee for 2017 to migrate to Australia.

    • BobinOz August 16, 2017, 9:03 pm | Link

      Well, specifically I don’t know, but I really can’t imagine that anybody here is sending out unsolicited emails suggesting that you qualify to move to Australia on a humanitarian program. I would be very wary of this if I were you.

      I know a couple of organisations that may be able to confirm or deny whether this is a scam or not, contact either iarc.asn.au or refworld.org for help. Good luck, Bob

  • Purnima August 11, 2017, 2:00 pm | Link

    Hello, I love ur website and it’s a great job ur doing. My husband and I are planning to move to Australia. I want to start my study in a university there but can my husband work in australia if he is accompanying me and I have a daughter of one year old will it be easy to find someone to look after her while we will be working and studying. Thanks

    • BobinOz August 11, 2017, 8:07 pm | Link

      Whether or not your husband can work is one of those questions I’m not allowed to answer, what you need to do is look at the specific terms and conditions to your visa. A video on my page called Visas will show you how to do that.

      I can’t even answer your second question about the likelihood of finding somebody to look after your daughter either, but I fear that could be quite expensive to arrange. I would advise that you do some thorough research into it so there are no surprises when you get here.

  • Lucy Andris July 21, 2017, 12:00 pm | Link

    Hi Bob,
    My husband and I have been in Australia for over 3 weeks and will leave in a few days. Within a few days my decision was made: this is the country I want to live in! He’s already an Australian citizen (by birth), but I’ll have to get a permanent/partner visa. One of our AirBnB hosts urged us to use a migration lawyer rather than a migration agent. Your thoughts on the difference(s)?

    • BobinOz July 21, 2017, 7:38 pm | Link

      The difference, as far as I’m aware, is that every qualified Australian lawyer is automatically qualified to give migration advice. On the other hand, it is possible to train as a migration agent without qualifying to be a lawyer.

      That said, I believe both of them do have to attend migration agent courses to keep up with all the latest news and changes. Both, if I’m not mistaken, do also have to register with MARA.

      So technically a migration lawyer, it could be argued, is in possession of more qualifications, but I’m not convinced that every migration lawyer would be better than everybody who is only qualified as a migration agent.

      If you’re looking for a good migration agent, one that I know you can trust, the guy I work with is technically ‘just’ a migration agent these days, but if you read about his service and him on my page detailing my Visa Assessment Service he has in the past qualified and practised as a lawyer, although he has chosen to no longer do that.

      I also know he has processed many partner visas in his time.

      Anyway, glad to hear you loved Australia, quite good here, isn’t it?

  • Nicola July 16, 2017, 3:07 pm | Link

    Hi Bob

    The time and effort you have put into this blog is much appreciated. I have found it so helpful.

    Moving to Australia on a years working visa is something I have been wanting to do for years but only recently plucked up the courage to do and to be honest I am terrified.

    Where would you say is the best place to find farm work and what is the best way to go about getting it. Is it something I should look into before I come out or is it easy enough to find.


    • BobinOz July 17, 2017, 6:46 pm | Link

      Thanks Nicola, I appreciate your kind comments. Glad to hear you have plucked up the courage to come, I hope you have a great time here. I’ve got a couple of posts that will comfortably answer your questions and more, see Working Holiday Visas and Backpacking in Australia.

      There are a couple of scary warnings as well, but knowledge is power, and knowing what to watch out for will help you have a good experience here. Good luck, Bob

  • Jeanene Barclay June 26, 2017, 6:41 am | Link

    Hi there Bob,
    Firstly I am so excited to have found your website and thankyou for all your advice. We are in New Zealand and are planning on moving to Australia (Sunshine Coast) although due to my husbands work and other commitments we will be unable to move until 2021. My main concern is my son will be 11 years old and my daughter 9. I would move earlier if we could but may not be possible. I am worried my son who will then be 11 is quite a late age to start a brand new school and just wondering how others may have found moving, when their kids have been abit older with them finding new friends etc. Thankyou

    • Mark June 26, 2017, 9:34 am | Link

      My Children moved from the UK when they were 8 and 11…He wuld likley be startinga new school anyway with High school so timing might be important so he can start school as year 7 high school…A whole heap can change before then though.

      • BobinOz June 26, 2017, 9:02 pm | Link

        I am excited you have found my website as well Jeanene 🙂

        Yes, as Mark has said, at 11 years old your son will be at about the age when he will be starting senior school, so it’s actually quite a good time to move in terms of his education. Personally I think it far more tricky when children are 12+, in other words they have already started senior school, settled in and made friends.

        That’s when they really don’t want to move at all, they just want to stay where they are. So I think as long as you do not leave it any later you will be just fine with both of your children. It is true to say the younger they are the better it is though.

      • Joshua August 8, 2017, 1:32 pm | Link

        Hey Mark ive noticed through out many parts of Bobs blog you have mentioned that you have lived in a few counties.
        How does the Australian quality of life, standard of living, quality of food, etc produce and restaurants, wages, quality of housing, safety, infrastructure quality, cleanliness, beauty of the scenery and towns and cities, quality of the roads all compare to the rest of the world in your experience…

  • Marcos Saltini June 6, 2017, 11:57 am | Link

    Hi Bob,

    We are a couple and we are moving to Australia / Melbourne next October. We have engaged to English course at Embassy School for one year but our plan is to stablish definitively in Australia. I am an executive in IT sector and my wife is interested to start career in commercial aviation area.
    Our way of life follows the typical behavior of young couple. We like go out to restaurants, walk in parks, ride bike. We rarely frequent night bars and love to live in calm suburbs with good transportation facilities.
    We would like to rent a house with 2 beds but not so expensive because we are not sure if will get any job during this first period.
    Please, which suburbs could fit better with our needs / desires and the average cost per week.
    Thanks in advance for any information and recommendations.

    • BobinOz June 6, 2017, 7:59 pm | Link

      Well, there are suburbs in almost every city that will suit your needs, just be aware that Sydney and Melbourne are our most expensive in terms of accommodation, but at the same time they offer the most job opportunities.

      Now all you need to do is read A Quick Guide to Choosing a City in Australia to try and narrow it down to a city that best suits your needs, then visit my page about that city and have a good read of the comments where there will undoubtedly be much chat about the various suburbs.

      To check the cost of rentals, see Cost of Buying or Renting a House in Australia.

      Good luck, Bob

  • Ben June 6, 2017, 5:43 am | Link

    Hi bob just to say your information is really helpful . Me and my lovely family want to come to oz . I have a job and skills they want over there but one sticking point is i am type 1 diabetic (insulin controlled from birth ) i just wondered if you had any information on would i pay for health care ect and would it cost a fortune ? Thanks again

    • BobinOz June 6, 2017, 7:08 pm | Link

      Thanks Ben, glad you like.

      As you probably know, everybody needs to pass a medical and they are all done on an individual basis, each case is judged on its own merits. But to fail it, there are set criteria, and if you Google “Fact Sheet 22 – The Health Requirement” you can read the Australian Government’s information on this. Good luck your plans, Bob

  • Victoria June 2, 2017, 12:11 am | Link

    Hi Bob
    Great site and thank you for all the effort you have so evidently put into it. Apologies if this has been asked somewhere previously but I was wondering what the position is on shipping cars to Australia? I have heard on the grapevine that certain makes and models are worth shipping out with the furniture as they would be worth more in Australia (e.g. BMWs or Mercedes etc?). I was hoping to find an online calculator to see if it was worth it post tax etc as it probably depends on make, model, age etc. but have been unable to find one. All threads on google on car export to Australia seem to be at least 10 years old…

    • Mark June 2, 2017, 7:17 am | Link

      I have some experience in this as have shipped several, It does depend on the make and model and year and value, without that to hand its difficult to accurately assess but in general ship it. You also have to find a shipper that will put two three or even four in a shared container to make it worthwhile. They do fit trust me. Finally you need to keep costs down when it arrives and there are some very variable rates by valuers and so on. …I will declare I have helped a business within this field after they brought my two out and I now own a 25% interest in said business, but.that said When I shipped mine I went through an absolute minefield They/we have since successfully shipped about 22 this year, all to Melbourne as it easier Minefield mmmm we know the path …Drive it when it gets here to WA NSW etc …There is a lot of information out there all conflicting and much only sort of correct I found If you want to ask Bob for my email I will even happily ring and speak to you as its a lot to take in but with the registration number or make model year miles etc they can work a lot out for you including all the trivial costs and what a likely replacement here would cost… No cost to you until you ship it .

      • BobinOz June 2, 2017, 8:15 pm | Link

        Just so that you know Victoria, I have spoken to Mark about this, I know he has brought cars out here from the UK and he does have a good contact in Melbourne, so if you do want his email address, just email me to let me know and I’ll introduce you both to each other.

        My email address is on my contact page.

  • Rachel May 20, 2017, 7:45 pm | Link

    Hiya ,just after some advice,we a family from the uk,we live in New Zealand and our two children are citizens and we have permanent residency,if we wanted to live in Australia,would it be best to get our citizenship for New Zealand ? We are not thinking of moving to Aussie permanently but for at least a year or 2.

  • kelly Blackburn May 18, 2017, 7:29 am | Link

    Hi we are just going through the visa process and I’m very scared nervous etc about leaving my life. We are looking at Melbourne as we have friends there. Would you say it’s a good place for families?And weather good for more outdoor life compared to uk? I’m in panic mode !¡!!

    • BobinOz May 18, 2017, 9:26 pm | Link

      Good news Kelly, you will not be leaving your life, you can bring it with you 🙂

      Sorry about that, couldn’t resist. Getting panicky at this stage is quite normal, many people go through it. It’s true that people like myself who live in Brisbane with its subtropical climate laugh at Melbourne’s weather and the fact they need jackets and jumpers sometimes.

      But most of the people who live in Melbourne and especially those who have moved from the UK almost all say that the weather is far superior in the Victorian capital compared to England. If you have a look at the comments on my page about Melbourne, and maybe try to skim read them as there are so many, you will see that some are about the weather and how it compares to the UK.

      You already have friends there, that’s a start, so I see no reason why you can’t have even better life in Melbourne. Good luck, Bob

  • NAVEEN RAWAL May 14, 2017, 7:03 pm | Link

    I need to write 1000 words NT Australia essay, why i am migrating NT Australia.
    Kindly help for the same.

    • BobinOz May 15, 2017, 6:00 pm | Link

      Ha ha, nice try, but I don’t do homework.

  • The OZ May 10, 2017, 7:36 pm | Link

    Dear BoB,

    Can I still apply for immigration? As I have heard that HR (human resource) category has been removed from the eligible list of occupations? I had plans to apply this year but not sure if HR people can apply or not, can you please share the list of eligible occupations related to HR or Recruitment for TR and PR, secondly my only sibling is in Aus on a PR status, will that benefit my case in any form?

    The OZ

  • Adi May 8, 2017, 8:27 pm | Link

    Hi,my husband is in australia on student visa.the problem is that his agent didnt declared me and my daughter on his visa.we have recently applied for dependant visa,but it has been rejected.we didnt know that his agent didnt declare us.we dnt know what to do now.please help us.

    • BobinOz May 9, 2017, 8:18 pm | Link

      Is the agent MARA registered? If he is, then as he got you into this mess, he should get you out of it, or you should put in an official complaint with the governing body. Of course, that very much depends on the information that was given to him initially by your husband.

      If he is not MARA registered, then you need to talk to an agent who is to find out what you can do to try to sort this out.

      • Adi May 9, 2017, 11:12 pm | Link

        She refused to talk to my husband.what the option what can we do.can my husband declare us now.

        • BobinOz May 11, 2017, 12:20 am | Link

          Well, if she is MARA registered, report her to the governing body and if she is not MARA registered, then you need to speak to a MARA migration agent who is registered with mara.gov.au.

  • Raneem Jo May 3, 2017, 9:39 am | Link

    Hello Bob.
    So I’ll just get to the deal.
    I’m 20 years old Syrian and Muslim. I live in the United Arab emirates. I’m sure you’ve heard of Dubai .
    I want to build myself and become independent. I have no ties down to a place -like University or relationship- but I’m afraid that my family’s economical situation is forcing us to go back to Syria soon. And i don’t want that. And i don’t want to stay in the UAE either. So I’m seeing that starting at a new place for a change isn’t a bad option, But as a solo.
    I don’t know if Australia is the best place for me to do that but I’ve been recommended upon it. So the thing is i need to know where in Australia there are arabs and where can i begin my journey and life there. I need advice. I plan to go there find a job .work for some time and then maybe apply for a university. I’ve always lived with my parents and I’ve never had to make a decision as big as this one and now I’m making it on my own.
    the thought of moving away came to me when i saw my parents planning my life for me and setting me to go back to syria in the next few months. Yes it is my homeland and yes it has safe places it’s not all war. But just because it’s my birthplace doesn’t make it my deathbed. We’ve been in the UAE for 9 years and i barely relate to Syria anymore. Don’t get me wrong i am loyal to it at heart. But i don’t want to go back there cause ill be starting new. so why not start new at a new country as well ? But i want a place where i can be welcomed not be restricted or judged based on my nationality or religion.
    I was in my second year of university in Dubai and until we couldn’t afford it anymore. So now i’m working and making some money for my next step. And i want to do it legitimately. I don’t see immigration as a solution. Please help me with some advice and i wouldn’t mind seeing your opinion on the matter. Thank you so much .

    • BobinOz May 3, 2017, 9:37 pm | Link

      You will find the following page most helpful, it has maps of our various cities in Australia and indicates the country of origin of the migrants that had there. See…


      Before deciding where you want to head though, I would think it might be a good idea to see if you would qualify for a visa to live here, they are not easy to get and can be quite expensive. You can’t just turn up in Australia. Good luck, Bob

  • ted April 30, 2017, 7:50 pm | Link

    hi, I want to apply for masters in Australia, have got Australia citizen who is willing to be my sponsor but she is retire and lives on her pension. please I hope this won’t mar my chance of getting visa.

  • Nicolas Seneka April 28, 2017, 12:34 pm | Link

    Hi Bob. Having go through this I am pleased to say your doing a great job.My wife and I with our 5 year old son are really wanting to move to Australia immediately to live a better life there.I need sponsorship to work there as I have customer service,logistics and certificate in IT backgrounds.How can you help me with my query?

  • Andrew April 28, 2017, 4:56 am | Link

    Hi mate , were moving to Sydney in a few months with our 2 children . i’m an Australian citizen and my wife on spouse visa. I’ve never lived in Australia. The question is I don’t have a job when going to Australia . do u think I can find a job quickly ?. I like driving jobs like courier or delivery .. Do u think I’m making the right decision moving to Australia in my 40’s

    • BobinOz April 28, 2017, 6:28 pm | Link

      I couldn’t tell you Andrew, the job market isn’t great in Australia at the moment, although Sydney does have more jobs than most.

      Do some research on my page Getting a Job or a Sponsorship, there are some links there to help, just have a look around to see what’s available.

  • Simon April 18, 2017, 5:57 am | Link

    Hi Bob. Just a quick question. Is it possible to find a sponsorship from a certain employer if my occupation is NOT on the Skilled Occupation List?

  • KhaderNZ April 13, 2017, 9:47 am | Link

    Dear Bob,
    I am NZ citizen and my whole Family is also NZ citizen and one of my child is mild Autistic child 11 years old, I am planning to apply for Permanent Resident visa in Australia. I have two options to apply (189,190) or ENS (Direct Stream). If I apply PR will they approve application based on my child autism or they reject. If they reject on what basis they do.

    could you please respond as early as possible also if any immigration agent who can deal this cases successfully.

    • BobinOz April 13, 2017, 9:30 pm | Link

      I can’t answer these questions for the reasons given in my important notices above, but yes, an immigration agent can look at this for you and then tell you whether or not he feels your case will be successful.

      If you want my agent to do that for you, you can do that through my Visa Assessment Service and he will tell you for sure whether he thinks your case will be successful or not as well as letting you know the best way to proceed.

  • Shannon April 13, 2017, 7:35 am | Link

    Hi Bob,
    Thanks for your blog. I have a question about immigration timing. My husband is an Australian citizen, as are our 4 children (they have paperwork and passports). I am American. We have been married 9 years; living in the US the entire time. We are looking to enter Australia in September 2018. Is it best to apply for my partner visa from the US or to enter on a tourist visa and apply for the partner visa once in the country? We are trying to plan the sale of our home, leaving jobs, pulling kids from school, and (hopefully) a farewell tour of the US on our way out. Would you recommend using a migration service in our case? Thanks.

    • BobinOz April 13, 2017, 9:27 pm | Link

      Hi Shannon

      Well, I cannot answer your question, I’m not a MARA migration agent. The process is always more complicated than you think, there are many rules, and it’s important that you do things in the right way.

      As you are unsure how to proceed, then yes, I would recommend using a migration agent. Make sure the agent you use is MARA registered, you can check that via the link on my page about Migration agents.

      If you want to use my MARA agent, that all starts with my Visa Assessment Service.

      Good luck, Bob

  • jiya ul mustufa April 4, 2017, 5:28 am | Link

    Hi Bob I’m mustufa I’m from India I’m welder I have 8year exp.in his field and I have dream go to Australia so what I do I need yr advice

  • Hiren April 2, 2017, 4:49 am | Link

    Hello my name is hiren and i would be applying for visa 489 Nsw riverina. Just wanted to ask about the place. Am a mechanical engineer. Is that place safe and are there any job oppurtunities?

    • BobinOz April 4, 2017, 6:48 pm | Link

      Yes and yes.

      I have a page about New South Wales and also one about Sydney, both are accessible from the main menu drop downs above. See also my page called Getting a Job or a Sponsorship, for sure though Sydney has more job opportunities than any other city in this country at the moment.

      That’s not a guarantee you will get a job though, so I would suggest you do some research on the page I’ve just given you a link to.

  • Shri March 31, 2017, 11:02 pm | Link

    Hi Bob,

    Thanks a lot for your blog post on Westpack bank. I would be moving to Armidale, New England as a skilled migrant in about 2 months time and I am happy to learn that Westpac does have a branch in Armidale. Now that I know from your blog how easy it is to open an online bank account before I even arrive in Australia really gives me a lot of relief. Could you also please tell me how much cash can a migrant bring in to Australia?

    Another thing I have been struggling to find is if there is a way I could send my ocean shipment of household belongings to a temporary address in Australia where I could have it stored (paid or free) until I arrive and find a place to live (a permanent address). Would you be able to give me any info on that?


    • BobinOz April 4, 2017, 5:15 pm | Link

      Hi Shri, glad to hear this has been helpful. When you arrive at customs in Australia, you will need to fill in a form which, if I remember correctly, asks you to declare whether you have more than $10,000 AUD in cash.

      So I believe that is the amount you can bring in without questioning, but if you want to bring in more, then you will probably have some explaining to do. What the ultimate cash limit is though, I don’t know.

      As for storage of your stuff, most major removal companies will have storage facilities for that. Just go with a removal company that does offer this service. I have a removal company that sponsors this website which I believe does offer storage. See the small banner towards the top right hand side of every page.

      Good luck, Bob

      • Shri April 4, 2017, 9:28 pm | Link

        Thanks, Bob. I will contact them and see.

  • Sachin March 28, 2017, 4:19 pm | Link

    Hi Bob,

    Greetings for the day!

    I am Sachin. I am from India. Me, my spouse and my two daughters got 489 visa with 8539 condition. I am writing you to seek your valuable suggestion to choose the location for living. We are expecting to migrate in July 2017.

    As per grant letter, we can live Queensland anywhere except the greater Brisbane area and the Gold Coast Pfb postal codes
    4124 to 4125, 4133, 4211, 4270 to 4272,
    4275, 4280, 4285, 4287, 4307 to 4499,
    4515, 4517 to 4519, 4522 to 4899.

    I am mentioning here my complete detail that would assist you for appropriate guidance.

    Personal detail- My age-32, My spouse age-34, First daughter age-5 yr and second daughter age- 1yr.

    Professional detail- My total experience is of 13 years. I am working as a training manager from last 9 years in Life insurance company. Prior to this, I had been working for 4 years in sales, with banking industry.

    My spouse- Total experience 9 years. She worked as a senior councillor in call center, Sr. Councillor in Imigration company, center head in financial institute. Now in India, she has joined hair and beauty salon Institute. She want to explore her career in hair and beauty industry.

    My agent suggested me to migrate to cairns and one of my friend living in gold coast, suggested me to migrate to Waterford because this place is near to them.

    I want to live in area where:-
    1)Me and my wife will get a job as per our experience and interest. Place should be full of opportunities.

    2)we should feel safe.we do not want to live in isolated area. we feel comfortable in croud.

    3)Place should be near to school, market, doctor and all necessary things available.

    I am expecting that you should guide us, where to live as per above detail mentioned.

    Believe me, your valuable response would give us a right direction for future.

    Kindly accept my gratitude in anticipation.

    Warm regards

    • BobinOz March 28, 2017, 10:47 pm | Link

      So, let’s get your 1) out of the way first and foremost and you may want to sit down for this, but no place in Australia at the moment could be described as ‘full of opportunities’. The biggest and hardest task for both of you will almost certainly be landing a job.

      It’s not easy at the moment and it is even more tricky for new migrants. For more chat on that, see my post…


      And be sure to read the comments.

      I haven’t looked at each and every one of those postcodes to see where they are, if I did I’d be here all night, but it does appear to cover all of Sunshine Coast. If you want me to pick somewhere for you, I would say Maroochydore or any suburb or place within 10 or 15 kilometres or so. Jobs are hard to find in Sunshine Coast, but a recent comment by Rob March 25, 2017, 12:12 pm on my page about Queensland suggests things are picking up.

      He says some of the larger companies are setting up offices there and creating jobs.

      Sunshine Coast would give you everything you want, is extremely safe, and has all the facilities you need. Plus miles and miles of golden sandy beaches. That’s where I’d be heading, but there would still be no guarantees of finding work.

      Good luck, Bob

      • Sachin March 28, 2017, 11:46 pm | Link

        Firstly, thanks for your valuable revert.

        Further, kindly let me know if you want to choose between cairns and sunshine coast, then which one would you suggest (as per my expectation mentioned in earlier post like job and safety)

        • BobinOz March 29, 2017, 11:49 pm | Link

          Cairns is a fine city, probably the best in Far North Queensland. But it does get very hot up there, and humid. If you like hot and humid, and you think you can find work there, then give it a go. If I were choosing though, I’d probably go for Sunshine Coast, simply because it does have easy access to a major city, Brisbane, and although it is still quite hot and humid, it’s nowhere near as hot and humid as Cairns.

Leave a Comment

If your comment doesn’t get answered, find out why…..
FAQs and Comment Policy.