Western Suburbs Melbourne

Living in Western Suburbs Melbourne

The five districts in Western Suburbs Melbourne are Brimbank, Hobsons Bay, Maribyrnong, Melton and Wyndham. A full list of all the suburbs within these districts are at the end of this page.

These are the suburbs of Western Suburbs Melbourne:

Melton

• Burnside, Caroline Springs, Diggers Rest, Hillside, Kurunjang, Melton
  • Ravenhall, Rockbank

Wyndham

• Hoppers Crossing, Laverton North, Mambourin, Point Cook, Tarneit
  • Truganina, Werribee, Wyndham Vale

Do you live in this area? Tell us about your town or suburb in the comments below…

It's good to share...Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on Google+0Share on Reddit0Pin on Pinterest0Share on StumbleUpon0
  • Lisa August 25, 2017, 7:30 pm | Link

Hi guys
    I live in Brisbane. I could never live in Melbourne. I couldn’t stand the weather or the crime. How do you live there?

• sachin August 14, 2017, 2:06 pm | Link

Hi guys – i am based in singapore and wanting to invest in cobblebank next to melton. My budget is around 400K. This is purely for rent and land appreciation. Would that be a good decision.
    Hi Bob i just stumbled across this site and its awesome. Thanks really helps.
    Cheers
    Sachin

• BobinOz August 14, 2017, 8:01 pm | Link

Thanks Sachin, glad to hear you like my website.

As for your intended investment, maybe somebody will be able to advise you, but personally I think they would need a crystal ball to do so. Property prices in both Sydney and Melbourne have skyrocketed in the last few years, many are wondering whether they are now overpriced.

So is difficult for anyone to know whether it would be a good investment or not. Everything is guesswork at the moment.

For what it’s worth, in the rental market here, most people will say that if you can earn 5% a year on your investment, and then take any kind of capital increase on the property on top of that, you have done well. So you would probably be needing to rent that property out for about $400 per week to get close to achieving that.

That’s my take, but would love to hear anybody else’s views.

Hope that helps a bit Sachin, Bob

• sachin August 15, 2017, 12:18 pm | Link

Thanks Bob for the prompt reply, appreciate it. You are right its practically impossible for anyone to predict how the property is going to move. I think i need to rephrase and ask whether it would to easy to rent out property in the suburb. From all the comments i have read most are buying so makes me wonder is rental a norm? Let me explain where i come from renting out is not a problem considering limited space in Singapore. But i am bit skeptical about rents in AUS. The developer has guaranteed rent of 5% for the first year, thereafter i would need to put in out in the market. What are the chances of somebody renting out? Thanks for inputs …Sachin

• BobinOz August 15, 2017, 8:05 pm | Link

Renting is actually very popular here in Australia, I think more people rent than buy, although I haven’t checked the figures.

There is usually a queue of people looking to rent places, is kind of a first come first serve and the landlord gets to pick when more than one tenant puts in an application. I think that’s very much the situation in Melbourne at the moment, although I don’t know about the specific suburb you are looking at. Maybe a local can help you with that.

Supply and demand does change from time to time though.

• Maggie July 17, 2017, 7:42 pm | Link

I live in Williamstown. Love it here. Beautiful, not far from the city. My daughter goes to school in Altona so will be moving to Brooklyn soon. So far no complains. 🙂

• BobinOz July 18, 2017, 10:40 pm | Link

Thanks for letting us know Maggie, good info. There is a bit of talk going on at the moment on my main page about Melbourne regards Williamstown and what it’s like. I will point them to your post, I’m sure they will find it interesting. Cheers, Bob

• Denise Martin June 10, 2017, 9:11 am | Link

Hi Bob, Denise here from Sydney, trying to invest long term for my sons , which is impossible in Sydney. John McGrath s pick for growth is Williamstown , however real estate agents have been pointing me towards Newport, which is cheaper. But are they saying that to me because its a dodgy suburb. I have been told it is very industrial and smells?. I am also looking at footscray but really have no idea. I’m terms of safety what do you recommend as my son and I would also like to live in it. Thankyou

• Mark June 10, 2017, 9:10 pm | Link

I am not a fan of the west side full stop, so you may have a tainted view. Yes there are smells a plenty on the west as you can see from a post I replied to lower…Not in Williamstown and I have no idea whether they reach Newport…Newport itself is not a bad suburb it lacks shipping facilities, cafes and some landscape changes, its flat, Its near the coast and lower on congestion, well fewer shops, fewer people, fewer jobs, of course it would lack congestion. Its great access to the city but I still think there is better on the East….Now I appreciate we cant all live in the east and with time the west will get better but I reckon its 30 to 50 years away. Yes it can be very industrial in places.

• Annie June 11, 2017, 4:10 pm | Link

Mark… you really do hate the west huh.. There are smells in all suburbs & don’t worry they are in Willy too, the beach stinks plenty that’s for sure..

• Mark June 11, 2017, 8:25 pm | Link

Hi Annie In defence of myself and the west I dont actually hate it…I just think there is far better on the east side, Its not so much the smell, though I experienced the one they never found in January 2016… ..On the east there is three decent roads north, on the west there is one, there is far more industrial on the west. I guess Id say its a bit lifeless compared to the east, You look at the big companies needing retail customers who will have spent serious money on working out their bases, IKEA, as an example, all arguably on the east,

• Bettina June 11, 2017, 6:17 pm | Link

Hi Denise, I moved over from Auckland and staying on Newport. It’s a super family friendly neighbourhood. Very close to public transport. It’s very quiet at night though. Smell wise, I find it ok. There are a lot of pets and the cats have been doing their thing in our garden – lol! Hope that helps!

• Maria May 30, 2017, 11:17 am | Link

Hi there, can you tell me what Tarneit is like? I’ve heard some mixed things about it. Cheers.

• Mark May 30, 2017, 7:44 pm | Link

Tarneit mmmmm Mixed reviews would be appropriate..Some people like the place others, they live there I guess…Its probably not on my top 100 list in fact id rather move cities so maybe I am biased as I don’t like many of the areas on the west side…Tarneit is still missing a fair bit of infrastructure its, in the shire of Wyndham and its still growing …It makes for cheaper houses but then its fun getting into city if that’s your work area.. There is Werribee Plaza for shopping as well as other places, zoo park Werribee Park, Altona Beach and so on. You have everything there just not in abundance…

• Henrietta Singh April 21, 2017, 10:04 pm | Link

Kia ora, I’m from New Zealand. We are planning to move over by midyear or around that time. We are from central Auckland where the cost of living is sky high. We are just waiting for our house to be sold then back up and move but we are kind of worry if the areas we have chosen are safe and friendly. We came for a holiday last year to see the houses, we were looking at Point Cook, Sanctuary Lake and Caroline Spring. We fell in love with all the house we had seen, and got us a fair idea of what we want in our house when we come there. The question is are these areas good for bringing up children? we have 2 girls, one is 13 and the other one is 7 years. Our older girl plays soccer and does karate and also I was looking at Catholic schools around the area. I am an Ece teacher and my husband is an intermediate teacher. Please help us find a comfortable, friendly and safe area for living.

• Mark April 22, 2017, 10:06 am | Link

mmmmmmm What do I reply here? Well Hello is a start …OK … The houses look great in Sanctuary Lakes and Point Cook I was looking at buying one once…Have a read of some posts on Melbourne above in the drop down menu and then down below here and South Eastern suburbs ….You will see I am not a gret fan of PC and SL..they have to get better and they are doing slowly its just its still quite infrastructure missing in my humble opinion …It will come and in time will be like the east side of the bay and I know I am not helping the west’s side cause saying look elsewhere. I say that with my apologies to those in PC and SL but I am being asked my opinion here and I have to give it as I find at time of writing.
      As I say have a read and come back… they are as you ask certainly friendly and safe places but they are I feel lacking in other attributes..it also depends on what you are looking for as well as safety and friendly…You mention jobs, soccer, karate, they will exist but Id be sure there is more on the east side.. I am guessing and Ece teacher is what I term ELC Early years…

• Bettina April 22, 2017, 2:42 pm | Link

Hi Henrietta,

I just moved over in early April from Auckland and staying at Newport – mainly because of the family friendly neighborhood and good primary school. You should check out Australian School ranking and the NAPLAN results. We have a 2 year old and a 6 year old.

I personally didn’t like PC and other areas over there because we found it too far – my hubby works on Flinders St. Suppose it’s quite different for you guys though as one is a school teacher and you’re doing ECE.

Since you guys live in Central Auckland, would you guys find it inconvenient living out that way? The housing is no doubt beautiful and much more affordable than Auckland.

I haven’t looked into high schools over there. They don’t have intermediate schools here. It’s primary and straight to high school. So ensure there’s a high school available in newer suburbs.

We put our house on the market before coming over. No one bidded at the auction so we are keeping it as a rental. Good luck with the sale of your house! 🙂

• 😀 April 4, 2017, 11:07 pm | Link

I love melbourne, even our crappy weather but hey all living things need water lol. Anyway ive recently moved to truganina western suburbs. I use to live in endeavour hills south east suburbs but was always going back and forth because my family brought homes out here. And its a really nice place to live, people are friendly snd some streets even have little street parties which is pretty cool.

• BobinOz April 5, 2017, 6:31 pm | Link

Street parties in the rain, sounds fun! Just kidding 🙂

Glad to hear you love where you live, sounds like a nice place, thanks for letting us know.

• BobinOz February 1, 2017, 11:36 pm | Link

Janet & Nidz,

Sorry I can’t help with your questions, I simply don’t know that area well enough as I live up here in Brisbane. Hopefully a local who does know though will see your comments and help you out soon.

• Janet January 31, 2017, 12:48 am | Link

Could you advise about Bridgefield Rockbank?
    Is it a safe n secure area for investment?

• Nidz January 31, 2017, 12:41 am | Link

My husband will be working on a State project in Ravenhall.
    Can you please suggest which is the best suburb to live in regards to reasonable rent, public trandsport , school and shopping centres.
    Thanks in advance

• Yahya December 24, 2016, 8:08 pm | Link

Hey guys,
    I need some help and direction as I got a new job in bayswater victoria, and I’m looking to move somewhere in between bayswater and the main CBD. What are good areas to live in that can be considered convenient and have everything I need there?

• Brooke December 25, 2016, 9:36 am | Link

Congrats! Bayswater is east of Melbourne, so you might want to check with another page (this is re: Western Melbourne). I don’t much about the east, unfortunately. I’ve been to Glen Waverley for work, which seems nice.

• Natalie October 29, 2016, 9:29 pm | Link

I am thinking of moving to maidstone Victoria.
    Can anyone tell me what morning peak hour traffic is like from 7 am to 8.30 am if i was drive from Maidstone to CBD for work ( over west gate bridge)?

Cheers

Nat

• Mark October 30, 2016, 11:01 am | Link

Normally I see comments on here where should I live and a reply of something like where will you be working etc etc Yours is very direct Maidstone to CBD brilliant its around 8 to at most 10km so in old money around 5 to 6 miles. Depends on where you are working Nat but the train and bus tram would likely be better. I have free parking and (my non home office) is in Docklands but if needed in CBD I abandon and grab train and whatever I can. The Westgate bridge can be tough at rush hour, very tough turning whats possibly a 25 to 30 minute journey into an hour. If you intent on driving or have a need to then set of early or look to Eastern suburbs, they can still take as long the further out you get. Hope this helps for now.

• saad malik November 1, 2016, 3:32 pm | Link

HI Mark

at 7:30am, would’t Eastern Suburbs traffic going to CBD be as bad as Westgate bridge traffic?

• Mark November 1, 2016, 4:22 pm | Link

Its pretty what impossible to answer a specific as this depends on where in CBD you are going Eg if coming from East and working commuting right on the eastern edge its far easier than getting to the western edge of the city. What can be said for sure is that in my experience getting from the Western suburbs to CBD is tougher especially because of the bridge and heck if anything goes wrong and it does, that bridge gets slower to even standstill however temporary the standstill may be. As an example I left Chesea Friday at 7.50 and was in CBD and parked by 8.45 near Parliament house. I would be hard pressed to do that the other way. Having travelled from Point Cook earlier in year for a couple of days.what was 35 minutes on paper took an hour to hour fifteen. if you coming out your likely looking round for rental property try the dive yourself one morning. .

• saad November 1, 2016, 8:30 pm | Link

thanks for a detailed reply. I will work in Port Melbourne and am considering either Chadstone to live or Newport / Yarraville and will be driving to work.

Which area will result in lower drive time?

• Mark November 2, 2016, 9:58 am | Link

Yarraville Newport all day long for lowest drive time. heck with the ferry you could walk it or cycle.

• Ubub October 15, 2016, 6:47 pm | Link

Hi guys! My husband and i are renting in footscray at the moment. We are planning to buy our first house either in woodlea or thornhill in rockbank or harpley in werribee…any thoughts about this?in terms of accessibility, traffic, safety, and its closeness to establishments,schools, etc…thanks!:)

• Betty November 30, 2016, 12:31 pm | Link

Hi Ubub,

Sorry I won’t be able to answer your question as I’m only planning my move and doing a bit of research now. But I’m hoping if you can tell me what Footscray is really like since you’re renting there? I have friends and family telling me to stay away from West – it must have built a very poor reputation over the years. And some forums say there’s drug dealers and gun shooting from time to time. Then some say it’s not really that bad!

I have 2 young kids and if crime rates are high, then I’ll drop the idea of Footscray.

Your real life experience and opinions are much appreciated.

Thanks! 🙂

• Mark November 30, 2016, 2:56 pm | Link

Hi Betty Depends on your idea of good or whats not really that bad, I haven’t lived in Footscray but I have been asked about it before and a guy who works for me lived there. He says its a good place but there are better inner city and middle suburbs. Its good for infrastructure access buses, schools and so on and close to shopping, cafes, culture and of course the CBD. he would not live there now because of the higher recorded crime rate and congested roads. Friends and family may be right .

• Victor October 10, 2016, 4:47 pm | Link

Can someone please advise me about Wereebee South.Is it a good place to live in and and invest in?

• Mark October 30, 2016, 11:26 am | Link

The jury is ‘still out for me’ on this area having read and heard about the Werribbe smell I’ve driven through a few times last summer, windows up and Im not so sure I woudl want to live there.. We are all different in life though so thats of no offence to the folks that do Id google it and decide for yourself

• chris October 30, 2016, 9:43 pm | Link

Not sure what planet you’re living on. I think you are making stuff up. The werribee smell is from years ago. The old sewerage treatment plant(and hence the traditional reason to bag werribee) has been totally changed. There is no smell, FACT only silly people quoting stuff -from over 10 yrs ago, that they have no idea about. Really – if you have something to say – get it right !!!

• Mark October 30, 2016, 10:24 pm | Link

Im sincerely sorry you feel like that Chris I was only expressing an opinion to the writer and its something I experienced myself last summer just after Christmas everyday for a few weeks whilst driving from Geelong to CBD and I have an article attached from a newspaper on Jan 11 this year Now I grant you it did not point the finger in the at the Werribee treatment plant but as it said You have to start and look there almost implying it was a obvious lets look here.. Of course it would be So I personally have to dispute your as you say FACT. You can read it here http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/epa-sniffing-out-source-of-vile-stench-blanketing-melbourne-suburbs-20160110-gm3217.html. So I am not making it up and its recent. Now it may not have been Werribee that caused the smell I do not know in fact it was never located I believe but sadly it became a likely contender. If it re appears this year or rather next year then we shall see. I do hope not. What does remain a fact is Werribee is home to a .the 10,500 hectare Western Treatment Plant which by their own words are a world leader in technical and environmental innovation It processes around half of Melbourne’s sewage. ​

• Mark October 31, 2016, 8:43 am | Link

Dear Chris and all I had not intended nor still wish to offend anyone in Werribee or anywhere for that matter so I thought I would as you suggest Chris – get it right- get the facts as best we can ascertain. This is straight from the ‘horses mouth’ or more to be precise the Environment Protection Authority (EPA) Victoria

The EPA has started 29 odour investigations since it began monitoring the Melbourne Regional Landfill site in 2013.
          EPA complaints per suburb in 2016…. Notes approximately first half of year to end of June and list stopped at less than 225
          1. Caroline Springs, Ravenhall, Deer Park — 1989
          2. Clarinda, Clayton South — 1175
          3. West Footscray, Kingsville, Maidstone, Brooklyn — 754
          4. Springvale South, Dingley — 584
          5. Lyndhurst, Lynbrook — 505
          6. Werribee, Derimut, Point Cook — 403
          7. Hampton Park — 275
          8. Sunshine, Sunshine West, Albion — 263
          9. Altona, Seaholme — 242
          10. Carisbrook — 234
          11. Altona East, Altona North — 230

As you can see and I agree with you a little Chris. Werribee is well down the list, however to say there is no smell well 403 people disagree, 404 if you count me. Now considering it has a treatment plant which is after all ….big…. that’s pretty good going id say Its also worthy of note when you consider many suburbs recorded 0 and negligible numbers. 403 could by some be argued as still quite high and after all its still in the top ten areas complained about for smell/s . There are so many important factors when choosing where to live and whilst this might not be at the top of anyone’s list. School, Work, Infrastructure and so on all come first however if say you where a chronic asthma sufferer these figures would likely be of more relevance to you.

• Giles August 26, 2016, 5:04 am | Link

Hey Bob! Hey People of Melbourne! This site has been invaluable, not just for the incredible information , but also for the candor in which it is presented. my wife and I were filled with fear with the prospect of moving from Toronto Canada to a suburb of Melbourne but in reading through the site we are a lot more confident we can do it and make a wonderful life for our newborn Son.

Question, is there a scheme for first time home buyers? Do you need PR status to buy? We plan on renting and exploring the different suburbs for a few months before deciding where, but struggling to find info on this.
    Thanks all.
    Hopefully see you soon.

• BobinOz August 26, 2016, 5:01 pm | Link

Hi Giles

Great to hear my website has been useful to you as you plan your new life in Australia.

To your question, each state and territory at different times has offered house buying incentives and they can start or stop at any time. It’s hard to keep up with them all, but it is worth looking into the current situation on the state you intend to go to, in your case Victoria.

My guess is that you would need to contact the department for infrastructure or housing. As for who can buy, certainly those with PR and obviously Australian citizens can, but I’m not sure exactly what the situation is for temporary visa holders. I do know though that the Foreign Investment Review Board (FIRB) are the people to speak to about that. Google knows where they are 🙂

• Mark October 30, 2016, 11:19 am | Link

Hi Glies You can but without PR but its a bit more risk. Eg you have to sell and dont live here! . There is an extra stamp duty cost but I would personally say thats outweighed by the gain on your investment if you where to sell in say 20 months. . We only got here in December from UK (Im originally from SCali) a week before Christmas, agreed a house new years eve and have since bought a second. I have had to buy a company purchased house as well The market is still climbing in certain areas (most established areas) May I ask as I know Toronto reasonably well where are you from and are you looking for the same or what are your requirements. I imagine with family the area south from Frankston to Safety Beach will appeal to you with easy M11 access to the CBD or trains from Franston Where might you think you will work? as all are relevant to where to buy. If you buy under 750k with PR you get a rebate on stamp duty ((as ever I was out of the net) Hope this helps for now

• Mark October 30, 2016, 11:22 am | Link

PS sorry forgot to say there is no more of a scheme for first time than a discount but without a visa offering PR I am not sure that applies and in fact you may attract a surcharge of course a mortgage without a PR will also be harder

• Slave Tomov August 22, 2016, 5:51 pm | Link

I would like to invest in property in Featherbrook in a new developments. How prosperous the area is on a long term?

• Mark October 30, 2016, 11:07 am | Link

Thats a pretty tough question to answer as its somewhat predicting the future which as we all know is impossible. Melbourne is still growing and at a rate and is expected to have more population that Sydney in years to come but as for what areas will do well ??? Meanwhile has anyone the lottery numbers for next Saturday 🙂

• BobinOz October 30, 2016, 7:31 pm | Link

7, 13, 22, 40, 41 & 47.

You’re welcome 🙂

• BobinOz July 14, 2016, 10:58 pm | Link

I’ve noticed a few people have left questions here without response so far, that’s probably because this page gets much less traffic than my main page about Melbourne.

I wish I could help you personally, but I just don’t know these areas well enough. So, may I suggest that look at that Melbourne page, and in particular the comments as there is a lot of chatter about the various suburbs to live in.

If you still have questions, feel free to ask them on that page, you would have a much greater chance of getting a reply. Good luck, Bob

• Subra July 15, 2016, 12:12 am | Link

Thanks Bob.

• Subra July 14, 2016, 4:42 pm | Link

My wife and I currently live in Sydney and are close to retirement. We migrated to Oz 8 years ago. We would like to move to Melbourne, close to Point Cook (near Point Cook Shopping Centre), where my daughter and granddaughter live. We would like to have our own place but at the same time close to my grand daughter. Our budget is below 400k, a stand alone single storey 3 bedroom house. There are house and land packages with turnkey homes fitting our budget in that area but not sure how reliable they are. I have had mixed reviews regarding Hoppers Crossing, Werribee, Truganina, Tarneit relating to crime rates, drug abuse, break-ins, home invasion , that’s worrying. I googled real estate homes in Tarneit , and found the cheaper homes have boundary to boundary houses, no side access paths, the lawns are poorly kept. Can someone suggest which would be good suburbs, streets to consider especially for a retiring couple.
    Thanks in advance.
    Subra

• Brooke July 14, 2016, 11:34 pm | Link

Hi Subra,

There are some town homes in Sanctuary Lakes which are lovely, if you’d be willing to give up the idea of a detached home (I think Sanctuary Lakes would be great for retirees). There is also a retirement village in Point Cook on Point Cook Road and Sneydes Rd that may be worth looking into. Here’s a link to it: http://www.pointcookvillage.com.au It is a gated community and looks to be pretty nice!

• Subra July 15, 2016, 12:11 am | Link

Hi Brooke,
        Thanks for the feedback. More keen for a single storey house. Dont fancy climbing stairs, esp with problem knees. Will definitely look at villas.

• Kourtney July 5, 2016, 9:48 am | Link

Hi, we have plans to move somewhere in west Melbourne. We are from Adelaide. Is it easier to get a whole flat 3 bedroom 2 baths there? Because we need it before august ends. My husband will be there first to scout a house for us. What are the things they usually need? And i also need to consider near school for my daughter who’s in Grade 10 now, preferably Christian School. And one more thing, since I am not familiar in west. Is there any nearest beaches, malls and entertainment parks for kids? And how long to go to CBD from west?
    Thanks so much & I truly appreciate your response.

• Brooke July 15, 2016, 12:04 am | Link

Hi Kourtney,

If you are looking for flats, I’m guessing you are more into urban living, so I’d recommend the inner West, like Yarraville, Seddon, Spotswood, Williamstown, or even parts of Footscray (or go a bit inner north west like Keilor). Not sure about Christian Secondary schools, but you can find schools in the following ways:

Government schools: http://www.education.vic.gov.au/findaservice/home.aspx
      Catholic schools: http://www.cecv.catholic.edu.au/School-Directory-Search
      Independent schools: https://www.is.vic.edu.au/who-we-are/school-locator/

Re: beaches, I personally like the beach at Altona, but there are beaches in Williamstown that are really nice, too.

Travel time to the CBC via train varies depending on how far out you are, here are some guides (these aren’t exact, but close enough).

Footscray station to CBD (Flinders) – 15 minutes
      Yarraville/Seddon to CBD (Flinders) – 20 minutes
      Newport to CBD (Flinders) – 25 minutes
      Laverton to CBD (Flinders) – 30 minutes
      Williams Landing to CBD (Flinders) – 35 minutes
      Hoppers Crossing to CBD – 40 minutes
      Werribee to CBD – 45 minutes

Williamstown is a bit on the exxy side, but is gorgeous. Not sure of the travel time as it has its own line that joins up with the Werribee line at Newport. I think it is probably 30-35 minutes.

Lots of malls and parks all over, really.

• Kourtney July 15, 2016, 8:22 am | Link

Brooke, thanks much! I will check on this. You are such a big help.
        Last question, it is easier to get a whole flat there to rent in melb? Because I just have a little time to fix everything since my husband needs to start on 2nd week of august.

• Brooke July 15, 2016, 8:42 am | Link

Hi Kourtney – not sure what you mean by “a whole flat” – am guessing you mean rent a flat by yourself vs. renting a room from someone?

Using Domain.com, you shouldn’t have any trouble finding rental properties (whole flats, houses, town homes, whatever). You’d need to get on the hunt quickly to get something by mid August. Generally you are here in the area to go to opens, etc. But I guess if you see a property you want to apply to rent, you can just contact the realtor.

• Leonie Quill June 26, 2016, 1:20 pm | Link

Hi there I’m thinking of moving to Wyndham Harbour in Werribee South is it a good area? Also I may need to find flat mates does anyone know if there are many renters who want to live there? Finally are there any other alternatives in Melbourne offering similar living next to the water?

• Nidhi June 14, 2016, 6:03 pm | Link

Hi all I live in Sydney. I am looking to invest in Melbourne. I visited Melbourne a few times and short listed Wyndham area ( tarneit..truganina..wyndhamvale etc) few good projects & lots of infrastructure coming. I also loved Melton area. Rock bank / woodlea estate . A bit far from cbd but good rental I guess & close to m8. My budget is around 500K. Land & build. Can some throw some light on pros n cons for these areas?

• Newfast June 27, 2016, 6:36 am | Link

Hi Nidhi,

I live in sydney too and ay by day sydney is becomming unaffordable as various factors driving the price up. I have done my reasearch and visited Melbourne and finally put the deposit down for a great property in Wyndham vale.

I don’t know much about Melton byt I do believe in comming years Melton might be popular.

With your budget you can get something nice in sydney too.

Tarneit is nice , it is getting the population and popularity both where in Wyndham vale the train station is already there, new school is there and infrastructure is happening too and rent is not bad.

With your budget you may can secure 2 small properties roughly rent 300$pw.

Or buy one with good land size.

If you like renovation you should also check hoppers crossing as you can get good size land with small property around 300K then you can renovate or made it into 2 with the permission of council.

Overall I like wyndham vale, but make sure you do your research as wyndham vale laso has 2 sides that will impact on rent too.

Note:-all the information I Have put is my opinion and my experiencw , please don’t use it as an advise.

• Caroline June 14, 2016, 1:22 pm | Link

We are a family of 4..kids ages 8 and 4. We plan on relocating to Melbourne early next year from India and are Looking at point cook as an option to first rent for a year or so and then buy. Would love to hear your thoughts on point cook as a suburb. Is it family friendly? Good schools? Supermarket near by…parks..etc. What is the travel time to the CBD?
    Any other suggestions on a good suburb?
    Will appreciate your help.
    Thanks!

• Brooke June 14, 2016, 4:46 pm | Link

Hi Caroline,

I live in Point Cook, so can tell you a bit about it. It is definitely family friendly, and had good schools (I can recommend Alamanda P-9, excellent school… I also had my daughter in Carranballac Jameson Way for a year, but was not happy with it – some people love it, though). I can tell you that in Vicoria, schools are somewhat autonomous, in that they are allowed to decide how to spend their funding, how to run their Administration, etc. They do all have to comply with certain regulations that are set by either the State or Federal, but they still have a lot of leeway to run really differently (and for Carranballac, I didn’t like how the Administration ran the school – personal preference).

Good options for daycare and Kinder, as well, although you will find some waiting lists (best to get your 4 year-old on a wait list as soon as you know a date for when you’ll be moving, if you want them to be in Kinder or daycare (or both)).

Lots of parks, supermarkets, shopping, etc.

Travel time from Williams Landing train station to Flinders St during peak hours is about 30 minutes. I work near the Parliament area, so have to change trains at either North Melbourne or Southern Cross, so my commute is about 45 minutes (not including my drive to the station).

Point Cook is a wonderfully diverse suburb, with a growing population of immigrants from India. I’m from the US, and love the diversity (I think it’s great for our kids to grow up amongst so many different cultures).

Hope that helps!

• Caroline June 14, 2016, 5:53 pm | Link

Hi Brooke!

Thanks for your detailed response! I feel so much better now I know we are looking in the right places!
        We were thinking more on the lines of a Catholic school…Lumen Christi or Stella Maris I suppose will be near by.
        Also, when you talk about taking the train into work, can one drive to the Williams landing station? is parking available for the day and at a decent price? (or free)
        We are looking at a culturally diverse suburb, definitely. One of the reasons we are making this move is for the kids to have better opportunities and more exposure and whats better than being part of a culturally diverse set of kids growing up!
        My 4 yr old will be almost 5 by the time we arrive, so i suppose she will be just in time for prep in school, so don’t have to worry about kindy. As far as day care is concerned, will take that as it comes, need to find a good job first that justifies putting the kids in daycare..money wise, you know? I am a voice over artist for television and radio, but unsure of the scope in that field for me, considering my accent isn’t typically Australian! Oh well, we will just have to hope for the best!

Thanks once again

• Brooke June 14, 2016, 6:35 pm | Link

Hi Caroline,

I’ve heard good things about Lumen Christi and Stella Maris – I’ve been to the Stella Maris campus for basketball practice once (a local club uses their gym), and can say it was a nice gym! 🙂 But don’t have any other info on either school.

There is a free car park at the Williams Landing station, but will tell you that if you don’t get there by 7:30, you won’t get a spot. They’ve temporarily opened a paid car park ($2 per day flat rate) in a field across from the station (VERY close and convenient), but it will only be there until the land owner begins to build (plans for more commercial or retail space, I believe). If you arrive past 7:30, best bet is to drive down to Laverton, you can generally get a space up until 8:30 or beyond (on the RAAF side of the tracks).

I have a 4yo myself, he will be starting Prep in 2017. Most schools have before and after school care available (Alamanda and I believe Stella Maris both have it through Camp Australia).

Quick word on estates – the Alamanda, Saltwater Coast, and Sanctuary Lakes estates have swimming pools, I think they are the only estates that offer pools. The Saltwater Reserve sports complex is really good, lots of soccer/footy fields, and tennis courts. There are also tennis courts at the community centre on Jameson Way. The Point Cook Library is located in the community centre at Point Cook Town Centre, and it offers a “Blue Light Disco” for primary school aged kids once per month that my daughter has really enjoyed.

Your field of work sounds really cool! I am an IT Business Analyst, and had a really hard time finding work when we landed, even with 17 years experience in the field. It took me a year to find something in my field. I had a chat with the consultant from the agency who placed me, and she said that it is very common for agencies to back-burner applications/CVs from candidates that don’t have any Australian experience or referees (as it takes more effort for them to check references). So some advice would be… Once you find an agency who specialises in your niche, rock up to their door (don’t just send in your application/CV).

Best of luck to you in your move!

• Caroline June 14, 2016, 6:56 pm | Link

That’s such great information Brooke!
            Also good to hear there’s basketball in point cook, our son, 8 yo loves the sport.
            Super info with regards to the parking situation. Will bear all you said in mind!

Point cook is looking to be just the place we imagine ourselves living in. Will be on holiday in Melbourne sometime end this year.Will have a looksie then.

Brooke you have been incredibly helpful. thanks once again!

• Newfast April 24, 2016, 2:24 pm | Link

Hi, i am from Sydney and looking to invest in Melbourne. After my reasearch i have narrow down to Hoppers crossing, Wyndham Vale, Tarneit and Craigieburn.

I would like to buy a house not unit or townhouse. Preferably something 3 or 4 bedroom close to public transport and schools, because i will be putting it on rent and these things are important. Good land size.

I have heard how Craigieburn is much better than Wyndham Vale corridor in terms of crime, transportation and development and new infrastructure.

Please give your opinions and share your local knowledge. Budget is around 300K-380K, but must be easy to get good tenants as it is for long term investment.

• Brooke April 24, 2016, 3:19 pm | Link

I’d recommend investing in Tarneit. Wyndham is the fastest growing council area in all of Australia, and Tarneit is the fastest growing in Wyndham. It, along with Manor Lakes estate in Wyndham Vale, has a new V/Line station that makes it VERY attractive to renters and buyers alike. There are plans in place for several new schools, as well. At the moment, you can still get a decent sized lot and house in Tarneit for $350-400k. By decent sized, I mean 450+ sq. meters. I myself live in Point Cook, which is across the M1 from Tarneit, and is more established (although also still growing), but the house prices are higher.

• Newfast April 24, 2016, 7:51 pm | Link

Hi Brooke,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I saw more properties with great land size in Hoppers Crossing. Tarneit has young properties too.

I will search more, i saw in this area properties stays on market longer than Craigieburn and has less rent!? But North is also growing faster….

Much appreciated your response.

• Brooke April 24, 2016, 8:27 pm | Link

Hoppers Crossing doesn’t have the best reputation, and is older (which is why you see some bigger lot sizes). Same with Werribee and parts of Wyndam Vale (although the Manor Lakes estate, where the new V/Line station is located, is really new and is very popular). Re: Tarneit rental prices – I can tell you that the rent here in Point Cook has risen significantly in the last 4 years since we moved here, and I expect Tarneit will be the same. I reckon now is the right time to buy in Tarneit, will get a good return in about 5-10 years.

The West does have some transit woes right now that aren’t likely to be resolved in the next 10 years or so. Hasn’t stopped people moving out this way so far, though.

Best of luck to you!

• pin April 24, 2016, 7:05 pm | Link

hi..

i m from sydney too .. and i have bought and townhouse / house in craigieburn. is not bad,
      and u can consider epping (vic)and around there .

i dont live there yet .. but rent is ok around 380 to 400. i got a good tenant too.

i m think buy one more in future..

• Newfast April 24, 2016, 7:46 pm | Link

Hi Pin,

Glad to hear Sydney suders are already in market.

Epping is bit pricey but thanks for sgaring Craigieburn info.

How long ago did you purchase if you don’t mind me asking?

Any other things to consider? Your suggestions are most welcome.

• pin April 27, 2016, 3:45 pm | Link

Hi.. Newfast

i bought in july last year for 420000 but i think u can get it for more less . ( 3 bed plus study , double storey , near local shopping center , brand new ,double garage , land size 519 .)

i personally not yet living in melbourne myself .. so cant really give u lots suggestion about melbourne .At first i also started my research from west Melbourne ( all the suburb u looking at now .. ) and i slowly move my reseach to north west and north melboure so that how i end up buying in craigieburn . but i think melbourne property is still can affordable at this point why not invest there ..

i think wherever u invest in Melbourne or anywhere u have to do lots research because everywhere got there good and bad . talk to the local agent there ., ring them up . go there to see the environment yourself . ( last time i also do lots of research talk to the local agent and so on… and it took me 8 month )

• Newfast April 27, 2016, 6:25 pm | Link

Much appreciated your reoly Pin.

Once i get it will inform you, may use the same agent to manage the property and who knows we may can get further discount.

Hope to connect [email protected]

• pin April 28, 2016, 12:26 pm | Link

sure .. my agent is in craigieburn . commission is 6% weekly . u can quote around first but i think is about the same .

my contact : [email protected]

• Ihonre Ikponmwosa AKA IK January 26, 2016, 7:28 pm | Link

Hello everyone,I am a cardiac technologist searching for a job in Australia need your assistance.Thanks.

• Amanda January 16, 2016, 11:06 am | Link

I HATE LIVING IN BRAYBROOK. ITS SO DISGUSTING AND FILLED WITH RATS AND WE ARE SWARMED WITH LOTS OF ASIANS. THE EDUCATION THEIR IS SO BAD – MY KIDS ARE FAILING SCHOOL BECAUSE OF STUPID PRIMARY SCHOOLS. THEIR AREN’T ANY GOOD SHOPPING CENTERS IN BRAYBROOK AND IT TAKES SUCH A LONG TIME TO GET TO THE NEAREST TRAIN STATION. I HATE IT HERE I REALLY DO >:(

• Arjun M Nityandil March 15, 2016, 2:12 pm | Link

Swarmed by Asians, really?

Bob, Can I please request you to take off these disgusting racist comments from your otherwise wonderful website?

• BobinOz March 15, 2016, 4:50 pm | Link

Anybody who has read my comment policy will know that I hate racist remarks and whenever they rear their ugly head on this website, I am very quick to delete them.

I looked long and hard at Amanda’s comment, it was very much borderline, but in the end I decided it didn’t quite cross the line. I think we can all decide for ourselves about Amanda’s comment which says more about her that it does about the people living in Braybrook.

• Patrick July 4, 2016, 9:07 am | Link

Rats and mice live everywhere in Melbourne, including in the city and Docklands where I work (traps are everywhere in the ANZ Bank head office). They also live where I live in the suburb where I live in Bentleigh East. My cat caught around 10 of them in 1 year alone. Bentleigh East has a pretty good reputation for many things but there doesn’t seem to be a way to get rid of them from any suburb.

• Kel December 17, 2015, 11:09 pm | Link

I live in Melbourne’s western suburbs and they really do suck!! The people here hate immigrants BTW so perhaps find a different place to move to. There is nothing to do, the youth are bored and start causing a lot of trouble. Better off to move to the east or stay in Sydney as it probably costs the same as living in the east.

• Krystle Ramsey October 14, 2015, 9:07 am | Link

Me and couple people might be comming from the states. Does n e one know where they are currently shooting series 4 of Wentworth

• Shash September 21, 2015, 3:17 pm | Link

May I please know how is President park area, Belle Meade estate?

I have bought a house in Rous street, close to president park and is located in the Belle Meade estate Wyndham Vale.
    Please let me know if it is a good neighborhood area?

Many Thanks

• pin September 5, 2015, 2:43 pm | Link

Hi..Munzir..

I live in Sydney myself .. I know Sydney is just toooo.. expensive ..specially in housing ..
    I just bought a 4 bed house in Melbourne ( under 450 k ) as it still cheap now .. compare here ..( for invest )
    Craigieburn ( is in north side of Melbourne 15 min to airport ..26 km to mel cbd )

I went down last 2 days ago just to have a look the plc
    is quite nice area .. to live ..good shopping and a train staition too .. so look to me is fine .

but school ..mmm.. I m not really sure ..there have a good school or not ..but there is a local school ..

I guess u have to do some reseach about which is a good school ..

hope is info help u a bit ..

• Munzir Ahmad September 4, 2015, 10:06 pm | Link

I am new immigrant here and currently living in Sydney. I feel that Melbourne is cheaper then Sydney. Please advise a good place to live in respect of schools.
    Regards
    Munzir Ahmad

• BobinOz September 5, 2015, 8:27 am | Link

I’ll leave this question to the locals, but do also check out the comments already made here and on my main page about Melbourne. Lots of good information.

• David December 5, 2015, 7:13 pm | Link

Assuming you can afford to live in the areas they would be Glen Waverly and North Balwyn. Werribee high schools seems to be a good school and Werribee is affordable to live in.

• Asif December 16, 2015, 6:36 pm | Link

Dandenong is the best

• Harman August 27, 2015, 7:07 pm | Link

I’m looking buy home 300k to 400k in melbourne outer suberbs like north or west which is best especially for easy find jobs my wife is nurse me witout skill thanks advance for help

• BobinOz August 28, 2015, 7:56 am | Link

I’m not sure you’d get one for that, but I’ll leave to the locals, hopefully someone will help you with this.

Anybody?

• Schev August 14, 2015, 10:26 am | Link

Hi there,

I am looking for an area not too far to get to the city by public transport, baby friendly, close to childcare facilities, shopping mall. Any suggestion? Thanks

• katy May 13, 2015, 7:14 am | Link

• Morris May 13, 2015, 3:51 am | Link

Steve, which are those nice places in the west where crime is low and property value is good? I have a wife and a 3 yr old and I’m looking for most importantly a safe place.

• Ryan June 4, 2015, 9:23 pm | Link

Hey Morris,

I would suggest moving to Seddon. I’m living here now and it has everything you just mentioned. You’ll probably read that Footscray is filled with crime. It’s certainly not as bad as it used to be, and it heavily patrolled by police. All inner west train stations now have police patrols of a night, which makes it safe. Seddon is perfectly positioned to be close to the city, and for that reason the house prices are rising. South of Seddon are also great suburbs like Yaraville, Newport, Spotswood and Williamstown. If you can afford it, then go for any one of those!

• Morris June 5, 2015, 4:52 am | Link

Thanks Ryan for your comment, I will definitely be looking for units in Seddon. Also read some good reviews about Caroline Springs.

• Mu September 9, 2015, 12:21 am | Link

Hi, would anyone recommend any good public secondary and primary schools in the western suburbs? I am looking to move to a good school catchment area in the west cause I can’t afford to live the eastern suburbs. Thanks!

• numpty May 1, 2015, 10:03 am | Link

Hiya

My sister has moved to victoria but wants to move to a nice area not too far from brunswick but not city orientated. Keilor lodge looks very nice, but neither of us have been, can anyone say about this area if its nice or a drug den etc or if there is anywhere mountain like thats within a radius of brunswick??

thanks

• steve April 27, 2015, 8:21 am | Link

Hi I have lived on both sides of Melbourne

Both have good and Bad and it all depends on what you like. If you a city mouse then East is best as it is crowded busy and very much like living in London area (Lived there to) great thing about the East is that in a 1hr drive you can be in the mountains or visit some great vine yards of the yarra valley bad part are the traffic and expensive housing with not much value in land size.
    West is more what you would expect it the west lot more open area cheaper housing (so crime will be an issue not that there is int crime on the east but it just does-int make the news as often) but there are nice places on the west like the East were crime and good value property can be found. for investment wise I think west will be a good long term hit as property in the East is going for more high rise accommodation to suit small family with no or very little back yards. So west will always be cheaper with greater value for money for mums and dads that want a bit more space for there kids to play in the back yard and have room for a boat.
    East will suit the more single child generation with very little time on there hand for gardening and more time for catching with friends for coffee in some of the great little cafes on the East side.

• pin April 27, 2015, 10:13 am | Link

hi.. steve

thanks for giving me your comment and your opinion ..

I will still continue do my reseach and hopefully will found the right home soon.

u have a great day

• pin April 25, 2015, 5:46 pm | Link

Hi Brooke ..

thank again for ur comment and ur helpful tip ..

i will still continue looking and do some reseach and … will try to get a change to visit western Melbourne ..

• pin April 23, 2015, 2:48 pm | Link

Hi.. Brooke..

thanks for ur comment ..

I m still looking around the area there … Truganina.. Tarneit .. point cook ,.. Williams landing .. I know there got nice big houses there .

but how safe is the area …?

• Brooke April 23, 2015, 3:42 pm | Link

Hi pin,

I wouldn’t recommend Werribee or Hoppers Crossing or Wyndham Vale, personally, because my impression is that crime is an issue there. Same goes for a lot of the North West and Inner West ‘burbs (Sunshine, Footscray, etc.).

I don’t think the crime here is any worse than any other suburb of Melbourne. I travel quite a bit for work, so am familiar with Northern and Eastern suburbs as well, and as far as ‘burbs go that are within a 45 minute train ride to the CBD, I think Point Cook is great.

I guess it all depends on what kind of environment you like. Some good friends of ours here used to live in London, and their impression of Point Cook and surrounding areas is that its very suburban, relaxed, safe, etc. I come from a small town in North Carolina, so my impression is quite different (I think its busy and not as safe as where i came from). But its all perspective!

Point Cook is family friendly, but there are also 4 hotels if you like pubs/bars.
      One down side (imo) is that Point Cook does not have its own police station. I think this will probably change in the next few years, though.

• pin April 2, 2015, 7:06 pm | Link

hi Bob.

… I would like some advice about which westen surbub of Melbourne that is good to live in .. ..good transport , community , shopping centre ..and so on

now I living Sydney ….

and I m looking to buy a house ( 3 to 4 bedroom ) in melbourne . for invest and properly will move to Melbourne in future ..

my burget is around 350 to 400k..

thanks

• BobinOz April 2, 2015, 9:37 pm | Link

Well I would have to leave that to the locals of Melbourne to give you an answer, I just don’t know the place well enough to advise.

If you don’t get an answer here within the next few days, maybe you should try asking the same question on my main page about Melbourne, far more people are engaged in that conversation than they are here.

• pin April 3, 2015, 2:56 am | Link

ok…

thanks Bob..

• Brooke April 23, 2015, 11:41 am | Link

I live in Point Cook, which is really nice (lots of shopping, pretty area, good schools, close to the train – Williams Landing station, good bus service, etc.). House prices are from upper 300’s for a 3bdr (most houses for sale are for 400+ though). If house prices are a key factor, you could also look at Tarneit which is nearby, or even Williams Landing. Any further in toward the city and the prices go up.

• Rezaul April 29, 2015, 6:45 pm | Link

Hi Pin,

I suggest that you look around Manor Lakes (ML) of Wyndhm Vale. ML is a newly
      built suburb in Wyndham Vale. The new Train Station is coming up in June 2015.
      So, it’s the perfect time to invest.

Last February, I visited ML with my wife and daughter and instantly fell in love. You can say love at first sight. I purchased a house in ML last February and just rented out. The value of my propert is $360 K +Stamp Duty and others. Altogether, around $400K. And I am getting rental $336/week.

Hope that it will be helpful for you. There are others similar type suburb also around.

Regards,

Rezaul

• pin April 30, 2015, 3:48 pm | Link

Hi .. Rezaul

thanks for ur information .. it help

but just wondering it that took u long time to find a tenant ?
        and what is the % agent u pay for management fee every week ..?

thanks

pin

• Sara December 17, 2014, 9:10 pm | Link

Hey Bob, I was wondering if you lived in Melborne, because you missed out on quite a few suburbs in Brimbank. And before you say that the ones you missed are small, I’ll list some of them for you: Keilor Downs, Albion, Albanvale, Brooklyn 3012 (Shared with City of Hobsons Bay), Kealba, Keilor Lodge, Keilor North, Sydenham Park, Keilor Park, Sunshine North, and Sunshine West. Granted some of these suburbs are small and unknowingly, but others are relatively significant.

I really don’t mean bad, I just wanted to inform you in case you want to move to this area.
    Unlike some people think, not all the western suburbs are essentially bad. In fact, some of the Western suburns are just as good as any other in Melbourne.

And what we (as Melbourne) lack in steady weather patterns we make up for in world class facilities and winning the title of the world’ s most liveable city, four years in a row.

• BobinOz December 18, 2014, 1:17 am | Link

No, I live in Brisbane, I got these suburb lists through research, obviously I didn’t do a thorough job 🙂

You are also more than welcome to correct me, my website is all about sharing information and helping each other, so I am pleased you have pointed out all the suburbs that I’ve missed. I certainly don’t think that you mean bad.

And yes, Melbourne does do very well each year in that most livable city list, I’ve written about it many times on this website, four years on the trot is a magnificent achievement. Especially considering the weather 🙂 Joking!

By the way, I had a fantastic time in St Kilda last time I was down your way.

• Timothy Cole January 12, 2015, 1:01 pm | Link

I live in a tiny little suburb called Kingsville, right next door to Yarraville, and I love it here. It’s close to the city by car or train, and there’s a few nice cafes and restaurants nearby. The people here say hello as you walk down the street – very friendly. The west has a lot going for it, that’s for sure.

• BobinOz January 12, 2015, 6:30 pm | Link

Sounds nice, but very close to the city, so I assume it’s on the more expensive side? I see is also close to Williamstown, I went there last time I was in Melbourne, that’s a cool looking suburb as well.

• Vladimir March 27, 2014, 8:03 am | Link

Hey BobinOz, I am excited in thinking of emigrating to this country in a year or so! Which city is ideal for a newcomer? Where is the Foreign Service post at?

• Sarah March 21, 2014, 8:08 am | Link

Melbourne is crap like its weather

• BobinOz March 21, 2014, 11:37 pm | Link

Sarah, either say something constructive and useful or don’t bother saying anything at all.

You’re not friends with Dylan, are you? If not, you should be, you could go out and just say “this is crap” to each other all night long. You’d have a great time!

• Elena June 16, 2016, 2:59 pm | Link

Hey BobinOz, I rarely comment on public domains, but I just couldn’t keep it silent. I like your sense of humor! You made me laugh 🙂

• BobinOz June 17, 2016, 6:37 pm | Link

Thank you Elena, I really appreciate that. I do try to see the funny side of things wherever I can. I’m glad I made you laugh, it makes my day.

• Dylan November 23, 2013, 12:10 pm | Link

Western Suburbs are crap :9 dont move there!!!

• Candy February 25, 2014, 2:28 pm | Link

How narrow minded of you.