Gold Coast

Living on the Gold Coast

Gold CoastThe Gold Coast has a population of just over half a million people and is an area of Queensland situated on the eastern coast, about one hour’s drive south of Brisbane. But unlike Brisbane, this place really is on the beach. And right in the centre of those beautiful beaches is Surfers Paradise, probably the area’s main attraction.

Gold Coast Location

But the Gold Coast is not all about beaches. The area is also enriched by the surrounding hinterlands, mountains and spectacular national parks, all of which are breathtaking. Tambourine Mountain is especially worth a visit. The Gold Coast also boasts over 400 km of canals and is home to a spectacular array of sea life and wildlife.

The Gold Coast also has a cluster of theme parks, it’s Australia’s theme park capital; with Movie World, Wet ‘n’ Wild, Sea World, White Water World, Dreamworld as well as the Australian Outback Spectacular and for nature lovers, the Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary.

So, you see? It’s not all about beaches. But the Gold Coast does still have beaches aplenty, over 40 km stretching from Southport all the way down to Coolangatta on the New South Wales border. And these beaches are just perfect for surfing.

I’m not sure, but the already mentioned Surfers Paradise may well be the most commercial Beach in Australia, that’s what I am told. But I am a guy who has been to Blackpool and I was born in Southend. Both of those beaches resorts ARE commercial. To me, Surfers was quiet by comparison.

But I am told that late nights over the weekend it can get quite boisterous. But if Surfers is still too busy for you, there are plenty of other beaches to choose from in the area that are even quieter.

So beaches, mountains, hinterland, theme parks, canals, surely this has got to be the best place to live in Australia? Perhaps, but it is very much a tourist area. Some of the more prestige properties that back onto one of the water systems or maybe overlooks the ocean can be very expensive, but there are plenty of more reasonable priced properties in the area that still give great access to the beach.

What’s the weather like?

Gold Coast Annual Weather ChartBeing only around 70 kilometres south of Brisbane, the weather on the Gold Coast is not too dissimilar from that of the city.

Although it does boast even more sunshine, getting around eight hours each day. Again, winters are very mild so you can make use of the beaches all year round.

Possible severe weather around the Gold Coast are, again, as in Brisbane, cyclones and some flooding.

The areas of the Gold Coast:

Gold Coast Map
The Gold Coast can be broken down into four main areas:

• North Gold Coast – including Outer North and Inner North
  • Central Gold Coast – including both North Shore and South Shore
  • South Gold Coast – the South Coast area
  • The Hinterland – including the Central Hinterland and the South Hinterland

Questions about Gold Coast?

If you have any question about living in Gold Coast, please please feel free to ask them in the comments below. Or if you know this city well, why not tell us what you think of it or maybe even help out by answering some of the questions people have about the area. I’m sure anybody thinking of moving here would be very grateful for any help you can give them.

It's good to share...Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on Google+0Share on Reddit0Pin on Pinterest0Share on StumbleUpon0
  • Angelia September 19, 2017, 10:31 pm | Link

Hi Bob 🙂
    I am from South Africa, 27 years old and a newly qualified Chartered Accountant (CPA). I am looking at relocating (Minimum of 2 years) to Australia, I have never been to Australia. The life in Queensland appeals to me the most compared to the other Australian cities (Again this is a hard judgment call to make as I have never visited), however I would like your advise on the following please: I am torn between Brisbane and the Gold Coast. I have done some research comparing the two,
    1) Is the business district at the Gold Coast similar to that of Brisbane
    2) How is traffic around the Gold Coast CBD, i.e. will I be driving around the block 5 times to run into the shops and pay $20 for parking :)?
    3) Which city offers more to do in terms of activities between Brisbane and Gold coast
    4) Is there a vibrant Nightlife at the Gold Coast
    5) Is there a South African Community in the Gold Coast

I apologize if these questions may seem ignorant, it’s just difficult deciding to relocate to a place that I have never been to. I have done tons of research on housing, Jobs, cost of living, lifestyle etc, the above are just a few of the unanswered ones.

I’ll tell you a bit about myself and maybe that will help you in providing me the information I require: I love nature and the sea, I hate hustle and bustle and large crowds and traffic!(Hence why Sydney is out), Weather is important to me, I love hot sunny days and warm nights (Melbourne is out :)) I do not enjoy the rain or the cold. I want a work life balance. I also don’t enjoy being bored, therefore as much as I enjoy a relaxed easy lifestyle, I do want to be busy, active and outdoors.

I have lived in South Africa my whole life, as much as I do love my country there is significant political instability as well as increasingly high crime, it’s not a place I would want to raise a family, please advise if you can assist, it would be greatly appreciated! 🙂

• BobinOz September 21, 2017, 8:49 pm | Link

Hi Angelia

Queensland appeals to me as well, that’s why I live here 🙂 and I love it.

Here are the answers to your questions:

1) No, Brisbane CBD, which is what we call the business districts in Australia, is much bigger than that on the Gold Coast.

2) The traffic around Gold Coast isn’t too bad from more I’ve seen, but parking can be difficult and you probably will have to pay, maybe even more than $20. Brisbane CBD would be no different though.

3) That depends what you want to do, Gold Coast has all the theme parks and glorious golden sandy beaches, and an okay nightlife. Brisbane would have more options when it comes to nightlife, restaurants, bars and live music.

4) Gold Coast nightlife is okay, but I’d say Brisbane’s is better.

5) To see where South Africans hang out, visit https://www.bobinoz.com/blog/17428/who-lives-where-migrants-settling-in-australian-cities/ and click on the Brisbane map and scroll downwards. I just had a look, lots of South Africans around the Gold Coast, looks like they’ve taken over the place 🙂

From what you say about yourself though, Gold Coast may well be the choice for you, there’s lots of nature around, you would be about 40 minutes or so from some glorious hinterland and there are miles and miles of great beaches…

Gold Coast is very commercialised, it’s a popular holiday destination, but if you steer clear of Surfers Paradise which is the centre of it, it’s not so bad.

Hope that helps, but it is just my view, and I don’t live on Gold Coast. Somebody who does my have something else to say about it. Good luck with your plans, Bob

• Kerry Caruana September 13, 2017, 5:03 pm | Link

Hi bob,

We are looking to relocate to the Gold Coast for my husbands work. What areas are within 30 mins from there that is great for kids. Parks, walks, cafes. Either near the water or somewhere green. Thankyou

• Kerry Caruana September 13, 2017, 5:05 pm | Link

Sorry I meant to say his work will be in southport

• BobinOz September 14, 2017, 8:52 pm | Link

Well, everywhere down there is great for kids, and there are plenty of parks, walks and cafes. It’s quite hard not to be near the water down that way as well.

Specifically where to go though, I’m not the best person to ask. All I can tell you is that as far as I’m aware properties are cheaper up towards Labrador, probably Surfers Paradise is where housing would be most expensive and is also the most commercial suburb on Gold Coast.

I quite like some of the suburbs further south, around Currumbin, see…

But if you let us know more about what you’re looking for, and perhaps your budget, maybe a local will be able to give you better advice and I can.

• Kerry September 21, 2017, 8:58 pm | Link

Thankyou! I’ll do some more research

• Nicolas September 10, 2017, 8:05 am | Link

Hey Bob,
    I am a 19-year-old traveller who will move to the gold coast with a working holiday visa in a few weeks and was wondering where would be the best place for me to live and fins a job as well as being close to the beach.
    Thank you.

• BobinOz September 11, 2017, 6:55 pm | Link

I would head to a backpackers, just search ‘Gold Coast backpackers’. Try and get one close to Surfers Paradise, that’s the most commercial area on Gold Coast and probably the best place to try and find work.

The good thing about going to a backpackers is you will meet other youngsters on working holiday visas and some of them may have in here a while, so they will know the ropes. As for the beach, just stay close to the coast, all the beaches are gorgeous down that way.

Enjoy.

• Julie August 17, 2017, 4:48 pm | Link

Hi bob
    I’m a single mum thinking with my 10 year old son thinking of moving to Queensland we both agree to the change, due to my health it will be better for, what are some areas that are cheap in rent and where there is no cyclones, something like a villa where I can be around people and has a pool can you give me any feedback I would most appreciate it

• BobinOz August 18, 2017, 1:34 pm | Link

Nowhere in Queensland is guaranteed to be cyclone free, but the trouble normally starts north of Mackay. Given what you’re looking for, I’d be inclined to check out Hervey Bay and the surrounding area.

It appears to be quite a friendly seaside town and I don’t think the rents are too high as long as you don’t try to live too close to the beach.

• Lee August 7, 2017, 7:15 am | Link

My husband and I are thinking of moving to Coomera with our two kids 16 and 10. Is it a good area? Does it sit in the flood plains?

• BobinOz August 7, 2017, 7:19 pm | Link

Well, I don’t know what Coomera is like, hopefully a local will help you out with that one. As for floods though, I would have thought as long as you stay away from the river and choose a house on high ground you should be okay.

Again, somebody who knows the area better than I do may be able to help you more.

• Patrick July 26, 2017, 7:26 pm | Link

Hi Bob! Great site! Very informative with excellent feedback from your readers. More power to you! I’m looking at moving to the Gold Coast but am terribly allergic to bogans (is that what they call them?). I see them on holiday in southern Europe and South East Asia and they’re a bit of a disgrace to the many wonderful Australians that I know. Do you have any idea what suburbs of the GC to look into and/or what to avoid? I’m also a boater/sports fisherman so anything that can be advantageous to that hobby would be greatly appreciated. Thank you and all the best!

• Melissa Cook July 13, 2017, 11:53 pm | Link

I would like to know what would be a great Suburban neighbourhood to raise kids in. Close to primary school and also preferably a park or two.

• BobinOz July 14, 2017, 7:21 pm | Link

This is one I will need to leave to the locals, I don’t know Gold Coast well enough to give a meaningful answer. Anybody got any suggestions for Melissa?

• Melissa Bettencourt June 13, 2017, 8:40 pm | Link

Good day Bob

Wow there is so much information. We are from Sunny South Africa, and planning on migrating very soon, waiting for our visa. We are business owners here of a restaurant, and need to stay in the food game, for our visa. How would you say the food game is? Expecially the take-away and coffee shops, as thats what we looking at investing in. The food game in general is a cut throat business, but what would your take be? We selling everything here to start our new life.

• John deighton June 13, 2017, 10:07 pm | Link

You wont go wrong opening a restaurant or coffee shop as long as its trendy and sells great food.

• Anton June 4, 2017, 8:02 am | Link

Hello,

Great site. A lot of good information. I live in Toronto Canada and I’m planning to move to Surfers Paradise. Any advice you can share would be great.

• BobinOz June 5, 2017, 7:33 pm | Link

Gosh, this website is full of advice, over 1400 pages of it. Have a good look around and be sure to read the comments, you will learn a great deal about moving to Australia and quite a bit about the Gold Coast and Surfers.

• Anton June 5, 2017, 9:45 pm | Link

My apologies! It was the first page I landed on after a Google search and didn’t want to lose the page. Soon after I clicked again and I realized I hit a gold mine of information and bookmarked the site 🙂

• MarkS June 3, 2017, 3:50 pm | Link

Gday Bob, great resource you have here.

I’m a Sydney guy looking to cash in my Sydney equity and buy a dream house.
    I have 2 kids, 10 an 1 and the areas I’m most interested in are Burleigh Heads/Currumbin beach OR a bit more tree change for places like Tallebudgra/Currumbin Valley.

I’ve heard the Sydney set really like the Burleigh Heads/Currumbin end of GC because it’s a bit more low key without the touristy glitz of Surfers. But could you give me a bit of an idea of the demographic of the Tallebudgra/Currumbin Valley areas?

Cheers!

• BobinOz June 5, 2017, 7:19 pm | Link

Yes, I prefer that end of the Gold Coast as well, as you say, it doesn’t have the glitz of Surfers. This post will help you have a little look around some of it…

But I can’t really help with Currumbin Valley, I’ve not been, but I would imagine it would be very green and lush around there, lots of acreage, plenty of space. Hopefully someone who does know that part of the country well will see your comment and help you out here.

As you say, you would probably be able to buy a dream house coming from Sydney. I can imagine quite a few people will be doing the same as you and cashing in on their equity.

• Jordan May 27, 2017, 11:37 pm | Link

Im planning to move from UK to the GC in a few months from now and im looking at hope island to live.. any ideas you have on that location will be great as in regards to outdoor lifestyle, low cost of renting, nightlife.. etc
    Thanks with such a useful website

• BobinOz May 29, 2017, 7:23 pm | Link

I don’t know anything specifically about Hope Island but Gold Coast has a great outdoor lifestyle and plenty going on, it’s a really commercial area.

You can find out about the cost of renting through my page Cost of Buying or Renting a House in Australia.

• Clinton July 31, 2017, 12:31 am | Link

Hello can anyone tell me more about Gold Coast areas, I am planning to go to bond university and I want to know if there is work availability that will be able to cover up my tuition fee and living expenses in Gold Coast or an area very close to the school…. I heard someone need a car to me it easier to get a job please I need help on the info..:. Thanks and hope to hear from you back

• BobinOz July 31, 2017, 8:35 pm | Link

If you check the rules, I think you will find that a student is only allowed to work for 40 hours a fortnight, so effectively 20 hours per week. Even if you got a half decent student job, you would probably only be earning about $20 an hour, so it’s hard to imagine that you could pay for your tuition fees and living expenses on the Gold Coast with that kind of income.

A more sensible approach would be to pay for your education with money you have saved, and use the money you might earn whilst here to support your day-to-day expenses. You have to remember that jobs are not guaranteed, even for casual workers.

• Clinton August 1, 2017, 1:45 am | Link

Hello Bob thank you so much and I really appreciate but where do you think I can live that is a bit close to school as a student with low cost of living . do I need to get a car or it doesn’t matter and secondly can a student move from one school to another school after the first semester if I find a school cheaper than the present one is that possible just trying to check things out ….

• BobinOz August 1, 2017, 9:06 pm | Link

If you want to look into accommodation, Google ‘Gumtree’, and then look in the section for rooms to let close to where your school will be. Once you have paid your fees to the school, I would imagine it would be quite tricky to move to another school, but I don’t know that for sure.

I think you would have to check with the administration department at the university to find out what their cancellation fees might be. As for the car, you don’t need to have one, there’s a pretty good transport system in the Gold Coast. You will get by without one, but obviously having one can be more convenient at times.

• Sarah July 23, 2017, 4:19 pm | Link

Hello. We too are moving from the uk to that area at approx xmas time. Did you decide to make the move ? Thanks Sarah

• Michele May 24, 2017, 11:10 am | Link

Hi!! I’m Italian guy at moment live in Edinburgh but I want move in gold coast. I’m waiters so I think it’s very easy for me find one Job. You have some suggestion about this? Can you tell me the type of life and if is possible work? the salary ecc….
    Thanks for your time!

• BobinOz May 25, 2017, 7:43 pm | Link

You will find out a lot about Gold Coast by reading the comments here, including job opportunities in hospitality as I’m pretty sure it’s been mentioned before. My page Getting a Job or a Sponsorship will also help.

I will tell you though that the job market here in Australia right now isn’t great, so there really are no guarantees and I certainly wouldn’t say you would find it ‘very easy’. You will, of course, need a visa that will allow you to work here as well, so do be sure to look into that. Good luck, Bob

• Michael May 7, 2017, 3:46 pm | Link

Hello Bob,
    I am currently living at Scarborough Brisbane and later this year I would like to move to the Gold coast..I have been looking at Hope Island,Robina and Varsity lakes..I will be renting and my limit is around $500 P/W.
    Please advise me of where and what I would expect to find in this bracket…
    I have read some of the reviews on here & this has been very helpful..
    Much obliged & many thanks..
    Michael.

• BobinOz May 8, 2017, 6:49 pm | Link

Well, I don’t know the property market in Gold Coast well enough to be able to give you accurate information on this, but fortunately my page Cost of Buying or Renting a House in Australia will help you do some thorough research.

Hopefully you will find something that suits within your budget and maybe a local will see your comment and give you more information than I can. Good luck, Bob

• Lisa April 30, 2017, 4:59 pm | Link

My husband and I are planning a move to Queensland this year from Yorkshire. Your website is proving really helpful.
    I have been offered a job in Gold Coast and we’re planning a trip to check it out before making a final decision.
    We would be looking to live somewhere that was relatively quiet, away from tourist centres, with good access to green space – we will be bringing our Labrador with us and enjoy taking walks with him.
    I run and my husband cycles so being able to easily continue our hobbies is important to us.
    We like cafe culture and food markets etc.
    Do you have any recommendations for areas that would be useful for us to scope out when we visit?
    Thanks!

• BobinOz May 2, 2017, 6:50 pm | Link

Thanks Lisa, glad you like my site.

You will be pleased to hear that there is plenty of green space behind the coastline of Gold Coast. Check out the following page and the video on it…

Look at the photographs as well, all you can see is green in the first picture and then the coastline. Now I’m not suggesting you move to Mount Tamborine, although it is nice, it is a bit of a tourist centre which is what you want to avoid.

That said, it’s not a noisy tourist centre, it’s more holistic/new age/spiritual. So you will find what you are looking for somewhere, but because I don’t know Gold Coast really well, I can’t specifically advise you about individual suburbs. Stay tuned though, maybe a local will see this and help you out.

• lynn April 21, 2017, 4:50 pm | Link

I have read your comments on Gold Coast and some negativity with regards to Surfers Paradise and was a bit saddened. I just came back from Gold Coast and have stayed at Surfers Paradise for more than a week and have absolutely love the vibes there. The people, good, cafes, entertainment, beaches, sunshine, weather and everything is so fantastic about it. Why is everyone (right to the Uber drivers) smiling there? While we were in Melbourne, the people appeared kind of stuck up or cold. Maybe we were just rushing. I am seriously thinking with my daughter of relocating there. But somehow Goldcoast and Surfers paradise did not get the love it deserves. Everyday feels like a holiday to me there.

Honestly, is it a better investment to buy a high rise new off the plan apartment at :

1) Markwell Avenue, Surfers Paradise
    2) Otto Mermaid Beach
    3) Vue Terrace House, Robina.

Your expert feedback would be so much appreciated as I am back in Singapore now. 🙂

• Scott April 22, 2017, 1:22 pm | Link

Hi Nicole, I completely agree. My first trip was in 1998 when I was in high-school, I still talk to my Mum about how friendly the people were there. The gravity games were on for the first time and I still remember going into bicycle stores and shops looking for directions to the nearest skate park and people were so accommodating. I think the positive energy is contagious, and people’s tone of voice is different generally speaking, it’s not like the whole population is like that but there is a huge difference from other cities.

• BobinOz April 24, 2017, 7:28 pm | Link

Hi Lynn and Scott

I don’t routinely bash Surfers Paradise, if I advise against it it’s because of something I’ve read about what the person wants from a suburb that I think would make Surfers unsuitable.

For example, some people want family friendly, some people want quiet and away from all the partying, some people want reasonable cost housing, and I don’t think Surfers Paradise is the place to go to for these things.

Some people ask for safe, and whilst I do not believe in any way that Surfers Paradise is not safe, there are plenty of quieter surrounding suburbs that I believe are ‘safer’.

You kind of said it yourself Lynn, you felt like you were on holiday all the time in Surfers, and that’s what the place is like, and that doesn’t make it suitable for everyone. If it is suitable though, I say so, as I did with Mo McGuire, for example, on March 18 further down below. What she wanted from her suburb made Surfers the perfect choice, so I replied with ‘Sounds to me as though you need to be as close to Surfers Paradise as possible…

So no, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with Surfers, I just don’t think it suitable for everyone. Happy smiling people can be found all over Gold Coast in most of the suburbs, but there’s more to the area than just Surfers Paradise and I just think that in some circumstances one of the nearby or not so close suburbs may suit certain people better.

• nicole April 20, 2017, 12:03 am | Link

Hi Bob 🙂

Me and my partner are looking to emmigrate to australia in the next few years. We are 24 at the moment, so will be aorund 25/26 when we arrive. We are hoping to start a family in Australia and was wondering, Is the gold coast a good choice for families? I note that they have lots of theme parks etc which will be popular with families, and I’ve heard the houses are a bit bigger than the overpriced apartments in Sydney! 🙂

thank you !

• BobinOz April 20, 2017, 11:52 pm | Link

Most of Australia is very family friendly, and it’s a great place to bring up kids. Gold Coast is no different, but just remember that if you get too close to the heart of it, which is mainly around Surfers Paradise, it’s very commercial.

That means the streets can be quite busy at night, lots of drinking, lots of bars and restaurants, and of course, some quite unruly people. But your children, which you haven’t had yet 🙂 will be in bed when all that is going on. Sure, it does have quite a few theme parks, but it will be a while before you are ready to take them there.

Unless you and your partner are absolute beach addicts and need to feel the sand under your feet every week, Brisbane might be better, or at least worth consideration. Even when you have your kids, it’s only an hour or so to get to those theme parks.

Houses are bigger in Gold Coast, they are in Brisbane as well, and in some suburbs much cheaper. Both places though are ultimately quite safe, maybe Brisbane slightly more so than Gold Coast, but both are good to bring up families.

Good luck with your plans wherever you decide to go, Bob

• India April 4, 2017, 1:40 pm | Link

Hi there!
    My boyfriend and I are considering getting a working holiday visa to come to Aus, and are looking at Gold Coast. Is there many opportunities for work in this area? How much is renting an apartment/home there/what website can I look at to find this out?
    Thank you so much, your website has been very helpful!
    Cheers

• BobinOz April 4, 2017, 9:48 pm | Link

Well, yes there would be some job opportunities in the area, it’s a hotspot for tourism, especially close to Surfers Paradise, and so there are lots of restaurants and bars and hotels that you could get hospitality work in. No guarantees you would find work, but it is about.

If you want to rent an apartment, you can search the costs using the link on my page Cost of Buying or Renting a House in Australia. A cheaper option would be to go backpacking, but that often means sharing rooms with other people. Hope that helps, Bob

• Sem March 30, 2017, 5:59 pm | Link

Hi, my wife and I have 3 kids all under 2 years of age.

We will be looking to relocate to Australia in a few years from the UK and are looking at the Gold Coast as Sydney seems a little out of our price range.

I was wondering if you could point to me where the most ideal area of the Gold Coast to live and work in would be.

What we prefer:
    – Easy access to beaches
    – Easy access to theme parks
    – Easy access to site seeing, e.g rainforests / nature
    – Career opportunities
    – Safe neighbourhoods for our kids to grow up in
    – Decent proximity to good schools

What we want to avoid:
    – Late night partying from tourists
    – Isolated house location

Any tips and advice will be appreciated!

Thanks Bob

Regards,
    Sem

• BobinOz March 30, 2017, 8:39 pm | Link

Pretty much anywhere on Gold Coast will give you the easy access to all the things you want easy access to and although the area has picked up a it of a reputation for being a crime hotspot, by and large the neighbourhoods are very safe for families.

The area you would want would want to avoid would be Surfers Paradise and the suburbs close to it. That’s where most of the parting from the tourists goes on, so it’s best to keep your distance.

I’d suggest you go shopping for houses, my page Cost of Buying or Renting a House in Australia will help you with that, and just avoid any suburb warehouses seem significantly cheaper than elsewhere has that probably means the neighbourhood is not quite so good.

• Mo McGuire March 18, 2017, 3:33 am | Link

Hi Bob!

My friend and I are planning to move to the Gold Coast this upcoming September. We are in our early 20’s and are unsure as to where exactly the best place for young adults to live in this area. Could you give us any information on specific towns that would be good for us? We love the beach, would be looking for simple hospitality jobs, and would like a younger vibe. Hope to hear back, thanks!

• BobinOz March 19, 2017, 8:25 pm | Link

Sounds to me as though you need to be as close to Surfers Paradise as possible, it’s the most commercial part of the Gold Coast and therefore probably offers you the best chance of finding hospitality jobs. It certainly has a younger vibe.

Accommodation in the area can be quite expensive though, so you may need to live a little further out or perhaps go to a backpackers. Good luck with your plans, Bob

• Scott March 19, 2017, 10:09 pm | Link

Hi Mo I think you will have a blast there. If you like beaches and are seeking hospitality work I think you will meet your expectations. Where are you moving from might help with advice also. Cheers. I would say close to Surfers also, Southport seems to be the less expensive alternative and is known for the younger crowd of people.

• Jo March 14, 2017, 2:48 pm | Link

Myself and my partner may be moving to the Goldy from Sydney in next few weeks. Probably looking at outskirts rather than central Goldy. 2 main questions we have is 1) I will need good internet to work from home, are there any bad spots you wouldn’t recommend. Looks like NBN is rolling out in some spots now but not others. 2) we have 2 dogs and would love to run them on the beach – are there dog friendly beaches?
    Thanks so much, Jo

• BobinOz March 15, 2017, 12:56 am | Link

Well, the broadband thing is quite easy, just choose somewhere where the NBN has already rolled out. Google NBN rollout map and start punching in addresses to find out where they have it.

As for dog friendly beaches, I’m sure they have them down there, but I just don’t know which beaches they are. Hopefully a local will see your comment and help you out. Good luck, Bob

• Jay March 14, 2017, 7:47 am | Link

Hi bob , we are moving out to the Gold Coast within the next year to two years from Essex uk , your neck of the woods ..we have one son and my wife is a nurse . Where in your opinion would be best for bringing up a little one and for a job as a nurse

• BobinOz March 15, 2017, 12:48 am | Link

I’m not really qualified to answer fully, I don’t know Gold Coast well enough. I would suggest you would want to live close to wherever your wife will be working as a nurse, and I think they’re only half a dozen or so hospitals down there.

So I’d wait to see where your wife will end up working and then choose a suburb nearby, but avoid being too close to Surface Paradise and the joining suburbs, that’s where it gets a little too commercial when you have a young child.

You will like Gold Coast, it’s just like Southend…

• bruce March 12, 2017, 9:23 pm | Link

im bothered about the humidity living in surfers coming from England but living in Melbourne for 25 years

is it bad in summer or will i get used to it

• BobinOz March 13, 2017, 8:58 pm | Link

Well, it doesn’t bother me and I’m a bit further north in Brisbane. You will also have the additional benefit of some great sea breezes as well, so I think you could be okay. Only way to find out for sure is to give it a try though. Good luck, Bob

• HENRY March 6, 2017, 4:46 pm | Link

Hi Bob, me & my wife + 2kids age 1 &3 currently live in Melbourne, we thinking of moving to Gold Coast due to my kid & I have bad ashma due to humidity & cold weather. My self current a machine setter for pharmaceutical & of hand job as handyman. My wife is an Administrator with degree of accounting. Can u give me an idea of suburb to live for me to find job or growth my handyman business? Our budget for buying house range between 300k to 400k house. We would like to have some big land approx 650m2 plus…
    Thanks heaps Bob

• BobinOz March 7, 2017, 7:55 pm | Link

I wasn’t sure what you might get for that kind of money, so I went to my page Cost of Buying or Renting a House in Australia, used the link to go to real estate.com.au and then searched property in Gold Coast between $300,000 and $400,000.

I set it to minimum three bedrooms and got 624 results, mostly townhouses. When I refined the search to stipulate minimum land of 650 m², that reduced it to 22 results, some of which were 400k+. So yes, it is doable, but you will be limited as to where you can go.

As for jobs, I have no idea where would be best for you and your wife, but my page Getting a Job or a Sponsorship will help you research that.

Good luck, and don’t forget to leave your coats behind 🙂

• blair March 6, 2017, 4:27 pm | Link

Hi there,
    My husband and I are looking at the gold coast to move to for 2 month next year while he does an internship for his physical therapy program. We are from southern California and surf everyday. We love the out doors and really want to experience the best of the gold coast in the 2 months we will be there. Im also going to be by myself most the week while he is at work. Would love to have a fun active work out studio to enjoy while I’m there. Also would love to feel safe and comfortable on my own while I’m wondering during the day. =) what specific areas would you recommend.(( *affordable *safe *near the ocean =) )))))

Thanks,
    Blair =)

• BobinOz March 7, 2017, 7:46 pm | Link

If there is one thing Gold Coast has in abundance, it’s ocean 🙂 I’m not sure where you would need to go to get the most affordable, but you would want to avoid Surfers Paradise and the suburbs close by, they are the most commercial and expensive.

Looking at suburbs further south of Surfers Paradise may give you more value, you can check out the current prices through my page Cost of Buying or Renting a House in Australia.

As for safe, it’s pretty much all safe, certainly during the day. I really liked Currumbin and the surrounding suburbs when I went there the other month.

• Clare Butterworth March 6, 2017, 3:57 pm | Link

Hello, I am going to be moving to the goldcoast End of the year, is there any suburbs close to any rainforests but near the ocean also?

• BobinOz March 7, 2017, 7:39 pm | Link

Yes, Mount Tamborine is in rainforest, and a very nice place to live too. It’s also only about 20 minutes or so drive to the beach. Check out my answer to Bridget below, dated February 14, 2017, 8:48 pm, and click on the link within that for more information.

• Ben March 9, 2017, 11:03 am | Link

Hi there Bob, sorry but Mount Tamborine is roughly a 50 minute drive to the closest beach. Beautiful up there but there are suburbs much closer to the beach which have close access to Rainforests. I would suggest Currumbin Valley, Tallebudgera and Mudgeeraba to name a few. All within 15 minute drive to the Beach and hidden at the base of the hinterlands.

• BobinOz March 9, 2017, 10:05 pm | Link

No need to apologise Ben, you are absolutely right to point it out. I really don’t want to mislead anyone, my brain must’ve had a bit of a misconfiguration when I answered the original comment.

Yes, you are right, Tamborine to the beach is about 50 minutes, I’m not sure what I was thinking? Maybe I was thinking of the 20 minute drive it was from Mount Tamborine to that English pub…

Maybe because it’s such a lovely drive 50 minutes seemed like 20 🙂 Either way, I got it wrong and am glad you have corrected me. Thanks also for offering alternative suggestions for Clare. Cheers, Bob

• David Campbell March 24, 2017, 11:49 pm | Link

You answered my ? about howfar mt Tamborine was

• louise March 1, 2017, 8:09 pm | Link

Hi My husband and myself are interested in moving I am 34 years old and I am a theatre scrub nurse with a degree in nursing and my husband is 36 years old and he is a Road/ Traffic engineer with a masters in road and transport planning and a degree in civil engineering. We also have 4 children, I not 100% sure which area to look first we do like the beach but not sure what we could afford to buy a 4/5 bed house. And if we would get a job thanks

• Mark March 2, 2017, 6:40 am | Link

First of all have a look on the skills list or SOL or the consolidated one CSOL for your jobs I am pretty sure a nurse is on there,, no idea about road traffic, or civil engineering without looking. If you are on there then its likely there is a greater need of your skills and as such a far greater chance of a job. Id imagine you will do well on the points score for a visa. So yes you will likely find a job…Treat it as a business venture, a new start up say. It will cost you some money to get out here but the rewards are bigger.
      As for where? Have a read of my answer below to Stuart Otter that is a start. perhaps more so with yourselves you need one of the bigger cities, more chance of jobs. As an example Melbourne has just announce 17 new suburbs. I cant begin to count how many new houses that is. That of course needs a bigger hospital and road infrastructure.constantly improving. Have a read through the pages on here and if all else fails, toss a coin…You cant go wrong for beaches or choice.

• BobinOz March 2, 2017, 11:26 pm | Link

Louise, you will be spoilt for beaches if you live anywhere on Gold Coast, the place is littered with glorious beaches everywhere. To check out the prices of housing in the area, see Cost of Buying or Renting a House in Australia.

• stuart otter February 27, 2017, 4:13 am | Link

hi, what an excellent site, we are both 31 and have two boys 4 and 5 years old, we are very active, love outdoor activities and frequently travel to the coast, we like the cornish way of life and considered moving there so we are closer to family etc, but the experience of life in Australia does also seem very attractive so we would like to give this a shot first, Which area of Australia would be most suited to us? we also love eating out and socializing. I’m a roofer and my wife is a call handler for the police. We plan to work 3 or 4 days a week each. Thanks, stu

• Mark February 27, 2017, 8:16 am | Link

Hi Stuart First off I should say its hard to find pasties here…joking aside and having friends in Newquay most cities and more importantly surrounds will tick boxes for outdoor life… Narrowed down Adelaide, read the pages on it… Jobs might not be as prevalent as once they where ..Similarly Perth which some argue is to isolated Id agree. Darwin mmmmm Again could be said to isolated and some parts of the water are a touch more dangerous than other parts…Gold Coast and Surfers paradise again may be limiting in job and cosmopolitan feel but offer the lifestyle…Brisbane looks lovely but the proper beaches are a bit of a trek… Sydney is wonderful but not sure id like to live there and can be expensive as can Melbourne but its stretched around a bay a lot further I think than Sydney so better priced living can be had but the weather can be as mixed as can Cornwall…You may find for your points to get here that state sponsorship is a way in which case your initial choice may be limited…Have a read on here of the various city’s. Go and watch wanted down under and revisited on TV or catch up on the different city’s and then maybe even you have to flip a coin..

• Sam February 21, 2017, 12:10 pm | Link

My girlfriend will be going to Uni in Brisbane and I’ll be going on the Gold Coast. I was just wondering would it be worth one of moving cities to be closer, or is the drive between cities not that bad?
    Very subjective question, but any input you have would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

• BobinOz February 26, 2017, 10:15 pm | Link

Well, the drive is about an hour and a quarter, and sometimes not too pleasant. I suppose much depends on your schedule at uni and how much you want to be together 🙂 Good luck though, Bob

• Georgia February 19, 2017, 8:28 pm | Link

Hi bob!
    Love your website! My boyfriend (aged 29) myself (aged 23) and our five year old son are moving from Ireland to Australia in June. We have all visas sorted, we’re looking for a place with plenty of work. My partner is a labourer, while I have a business degree and currently working in the fashion industry. We’re Hoping for a place suitable for a young family, not too quiet, but not too loud, reasonable rent, hot weather, nice beaches and just outside a busy town/city. I no we’re asking for a lot but I would love to hear some recommendations. ,my brother lives in Sydney and his cost of living is just too expensive for us. I would love to hear any recommendations. We’re finding our age is very difficult as a lot of areas for people our age are too care free, whilst areas suitable for families do not have people our age.

• BobinOz February 19, 2017, 11:46 pm | Link

So, before I answer you Georgia, are you looking to specifically live in the Gold Coast (being as you posted your question on my page about Gold Coast) or are you considering anywhere in Australia?

• Georgia February 20, 2017, 6:06 am | Link

No, we’re not just considering the Gold Coast. We would consider anywhere in Australia at the moment. From our internet searches so far Gold Coast is our favourite, with its “tropical” style city. Although, I would love to hear any advice you have

• BobinOz February 26, 2017, 9:28 pm | Link

Well, I think you are probably on the right track with Gold Coast, it’s got great beaches, the weather is perfect and it has easy access to Brisbane. I’d look at the southern end of Gold Coast for the not too loud not to quiet thing you’re after, maybe around Currumbin, Tugun and Palm Beach.

I couldn’t advise you about work though and its availability in that area, but you can search for opportunities in your fields five the links on my page Getting a Job or a Sponsorship.

Don’t discount the Tweed Coast either, that’s a little further south and over the border in New South Wales.

• Robyn February 19, 2017, 3:33 pm | Link

Hi im looking atm selling my house in geelong vic. Im then or in 2=3 months time wanting to relocate move to the gold coast
    Im not sure for my daughter whos . Aged 12 nearly
    Or wich subirb exactly etc ether yet for her & myself on which or choosing a subirb
    ?? 🙂
    As we like sirfers as all people do but expense wise hasto be considered in surfers etc , 🙂 not wanting miles away tho ether but still a beachy atmosphere close by & a high school
    So ware or which suburbs woild I suggest looking for buying a smaller house or townhouse please
    Without the suburbs areas. Lol named as bad locating areas for drugs or I guess worst suburbs to buy at
    Around 300 or a little above or little less in prices im buying somthing smaller rhan a large or family house as I have at present 🙂 and too big with just the one. Child at home now
    So im looking for suburbs to suit beaches close or by view etc. In the above price range & though also a nice place not far from the main or surfers side on gold coast . Maybe townhouse prnding prices etc. Or. Suburb on not being loud. Lol or I think ud gsther my meaning here 🙂 if any ideas or suggestions come to ur mind on u knowlegement in gold coast pls. Refer me. 🙂 or a guide thankyou

• BobinOz February 19, 2017, 11:44 pm | Link

Well, this is a question I will best leave to the locals, I just don’t know the area well enough to advise. I think you will be a little limited your budget, although there are some properties in the just over $300,000 bracket, but not many.

Use the link on my page about Cost of Buying or Renting a House in Australia and search for houses via the link there for everything in Gold Coast over $300,000 but less and $350,000.

That will help you hone in on some of the suburbs that fit your budget. Other than that, hopefully a local will give you more advice than I can.

• Bridget February 14, 2017, 5:08 am | Link

Hey Bob,
    I am moving to the Gold coast for job purpose and I wonder if you could advise me on the best suburb to live in.
    The Job is in Arundel and I do not want a long commute.
    The thing is, I love peace and quiet, authenticity, nature and old houses…
    The opposite of what the gold coast is about it seems!!

Maybe the Tamborine Mountains would be best for me?
    Thanks,

• BobinOz February 14, 2017, 8:48 pm | Link

I think you would love Tamborine Mountain, it’s beautiful up there. One of my readers who came here from the US lived there for a couple years or so, he did a post for me. He absolutely love the nature and took some wonderful photographs. You can see them here…

Anywhere from where you will be working that is in the opposite direction of the sea is worth a look, it’s all quite stunning hinterland. Rolling hills, rainforest and countryside. Tamborine Mountain itself can be quite touristy, especially down the main street, but it’s quite new age.

Art shops, meditation, I think there’s even a fairy store. For sure though, you are looking in the right direction.

• Bridget February 23, 2017, 5:30 am | Link

Thanks Bob, sounds good,

• Hugo February 10, 2017, 3:00 am | Link

Bob,
    Can I first say, you are a legend. Fantastic website. A fountain of knowledge.

I’m a UK qualified accountant (mid thirties, two toddlers) looking to secure a 189 visa to work in Brisbane and live in northern part of Gold Coast. Is this commutable by motorcycle do you think? I currently do a 65mile commute by bike in the UK (-6 this winter was tough).
    Brazilian wife hates UK after ten years. This would be the dream…

My primary fear – you may or may not know the answer – what do bikers do about bugs getting into helmets/gloves/boots/leathers when not in use?! I see myself needing clean underwear when putting on any of the above if a creepy crawley comes out.

Last – my uncle is also in Aus (“£1 Pom”!). Is there any mileage in doing a family sponsor instead of skilled indep 189? Again, no probs if you don’t know!!

If Bob or anyone has any views, I would love to hear them.

Many thanks
    Hugo

• BobinOz February 10, 2017, 7:21 pm | Link

Recognition at last, thanks Hugo 🙂

So, yes, I suppose it is commutable, but it would be a quite horrible ride to go through twice a day. It’s a busy stretch of the motorway and it can often grind to a bit of a halt during rush hour, especially on a Friday afternoon when maybe even more people are heading down to the coast for a weekend break.

Being on a motorbike might help slightly, but the way people change lanes when the traffic slows up makes it rather dangerous to try and squeeze through the gaps. If you’re working in the CBD, I suspect you’ll be looking at a good hour on the road each way. So maybe not too much different from what you’re doing now.

I wouldn’t really worry about those creepy crawlies in your helmet, I’m not sure it’s a problem any biker thinks about. A quick bash of your helmet and a squeeze of your gloves might make you feel better though. Your uncle did well at £1, everybody else was a £10 pom 🙂

Can’t help you with your visa question, that’s one to ask a MARA registered migration agent about. Hope that helps, Bob

• Hugo February 10, 2017, 7:50 pm | Link

Ha! Call that a typo.

Thanks for the response.
        H

• laura benefer February 4, 2017, 12:11 am | Link

dear Bob

We are looking to move to gold coast. Me, husband and 2 boys aged 2 & 5. Husband has a possible job opp in Coolangatta. Can you suggest other areas to live / buy houses and good schools close to here? how much would you say an average house price is in this area?