Darwin

Living in Darwin

Darwin SunsetDarwin is the capital of Northern Territory but it is not very big, being something like Australia’s 16th largest city. Greater Darwin consists of Darwin City, Darwin Suburbs, Litchfield and Palmerston and has a population of around 136,000 people. It is located centrally on the northern coast of Australia, so if Australia were of clock, Darwin would be on the 12.

It should be noted though that both Litchfield and Palmerston are quite some distance from Darwin City, being around 30 km and 21 km respectively. The population of Darwin and its immediately surrounding suburbs is probably something like 80,000.
Darwin Location

Darwin, like Perth, is quite isolated. It is closer to the capital of Indonesia than it is to the capital of Australia. It’s also very close to the equator. So it’s hot! It’s humid! And it’s got crocs!

There, I’ve got that out of the way.

But if you can stand the heat and humidity, Darwin and the surrounding areas offer the kind of stunning beauty not easily found anywhere else in the world. That beauty is enhanced by Darwin’s climate which has a “wet season” and a “dry season”.

This natural beauty has led to Darwin having a thriving tourist industry. The area is steeped in Aboriginal history and culture and surrounded by National Parks, the biggest and most impressive being Kakadu.

Whilst nature gives the region and its beauty, nature has also destroyed the city. On Christmas day in 1974, tropical Cyclone Tracy ripped the place apart taking many lives at the same time. But Darwin was quickly rebuilt and is today a modern, vibrant and young city.

Darwin is not short of beautiful beaches either. The pick of them being Mindil Beach, which includes an occasional market, just a couple of kilometres from the city centre and Vestey’s Beach, also close to the city. And if you want to be at one with nature, check out Casaurina Beach, 7 km’s east of the city. It’s a nudist beach. Don’t forget the sunscreen!

Some beaches have nets to protect against the box jellyfish, but with the rise of appearances by the Irukandji, a jellyfish so small it can penetrate the nets, I’m not sure you would want to be trusting these places.

But it’s not just the jellyfish. The sea in this region is probably one of the most dangerous seas in the world. It looks beautiful, it looks clear and it looks blue. But it can be very dangerous for swimmers. Remember, crocs can be found in the sea as well as in the creeks and billabongs.

Always check with locals before going swimming in this region. There are safe places to swim in the area and they will know where they are. Darwin is beautiful, but it’s not for the faint of heart.

What’s the weather like?

Darwin Annual WeatherThe climate of Darwin is tropical, that means there is no winter and summer, just wet and dry. If you take a look at my chart, you can easily see when those wet and dry seasons are.

There are on average 75 rainy days between December and May with a total of over 1300 mm of rain.

But during June to November, there are just 20 rainy days with only 200 mm. But the temperature doesn’t change much throughout the year. It’s always hot and it’s mostly humid.

Severe weather for the area include, of course, tropical cyclones, electrical storms, gale force winds and flooding.

Here’s a map of the Darwin area…..

Darwin Map

Darwin can be broken down into four main areas:

Questions about Darwin?

If you have any question about living in Darwin, please please feel free to ask them in the comments below. Or if you know this city well, why not tell us what you think of it or maybe even help out by answering some of the questions people have about the area. I’m sure anybody thinking of moving here would be very grateful for any help you can give them.

• Jolinkumar Tilva August 9, 2016, 7:45 pm | Link

Hello,

I have applied for Northern Territory State Sponsorship Visa 190 & 489 sub class.

Now matter is Australian Government is asking for strong link in Northern Territory who can help me to get a job and other formalities to settle down in NT. Else, who can stand by my side when i am in any kind of trouble. OR they need job offer letter.

I have many friends and relatives who reside in Sydney & Melbourne but no one is in NT. Can you help for this situation ?

• BobinOz August 10, 2016, 5:52 pm | Link

You have to understand that you need to genuinely know somebody who will stand by your side in times of trouble, so no, nobody here can help you.

You either do have contacts in NT or you do not, you cannot fabricate them or ask someone you don’t really know to help you out. Or, if they say you need a job offer letter, that’s what you need instead.

I’m only being blunt about this with you because this question has been asked several times recently on these pages, and it has to stop. I do hope you sort out your move to Australia, but I’m afraid nobody here can be your ‘strong link’.

• Anant Mishra July 28, 2016, 2:33 am | Link

I plan to move to Darwin shortly under subclass 190. Are there enough opportunities in Darwin for HR professionals? Thanks in advance for the help.

Regards,
    Anant.

• Venkatesh July 30, 2016, 4:22 pm | Link

Hi Anant,
      We have a whatsapp group of people who have applied for NT, Darwin. Kindly share me your contact number thru email at : venkyys@gmail.com.

Just fyi, i too am HR professional and got my 489 for NT, Darwin.

will connect to you shortly and share details with you and also add you in that group.

thanks.

• smit August 6, 2016, 10:43 pm | Link

Hello,

I am also planning to migrate there. I will send u my number on your email id. Please add me. Thank You.

• Sunny July 17, 2016, 1:40 am | Link

Hi I will be getting pr under 189 sub class ( Skilled worker) for secondary school teacher , Chemistry.. any advice about anything such as rent, places to land and work will be highly appreciated since i don’t have any relatives in Australia welcome..thanks in advance

• utchey July 2, 2016, 1:08 am | Link

I applied for visa 190 or 489 under Insurance Broker, I will be moving with my family (family of 5) once our visa is granted.

I want to know how much is rent for 2bed room apartment in darwin, feeding and how easy to get both job and rent .

Any other useful information will be appreciated.

Regards.

• BobinOz July 2, 2016, 11:58 pm | Link

It would be impossible for anybody to tell you how easy or hard it might be to get a job, but you can research rental prices for apartments from my page called Cost of Buying or Renting a House in Australia.

• Venkatesh July 30, 2016, 4:25 pm | Link

Hi Utchey,
      we have a whatsapp group for NT Darwin which is a mix of 190, 489. Email me your contact number of whatsapp at: venkyys@gmail.com.

Will add you in that group. It might be useful to you.

Thanks.

Reagrds
      Venky

• Nikhil Sharma August 29, 2017, 8:51 pm | Link

Hi venkatesh are you still running that whatsapp group for NT.
        Kindly give me yours email address. So that I can forward you to my contacts number for adding.

• Ali June 29, 2016, 3:45 am | Link

I am planning to migrate darwin within 3 months. I am telecom network engineer visa subclass 489. What can be possibility to get job at darwin?

• Michael Parker June 29, 2016, 12:00 pm | Link

Your chances of getting work will depend on your Skills, Experience, Qualifications & most importantly English communication skills.

I’m recruiting for IT Technician’s and Engineers at the moment, see:

Email me a covering email and copy of your resume if interested.

• Ali June 29, 2016, 3:27 pm | Link

Hi Michael,
        Please provide me your email ID . I will send my CV to you

• Michael Parker June 29, 2016, 3:32 pm | Link

Its in the link referred to!!!

Its also michael@ategra.com

• Ali June 30, 2016, 2:13 am | Link

Hi Michael,

I have sent my updated CV for your consideration.

Waiting for your feedback.

Thanks//

Ali

• Hamid Mahmood August 5, 2016, 5:18 pm | Link

Hi Ali,

Have you granted 489 visa?. I am also in process to submit my application for NT nomination for SC 489. My agent have asked me to provide my occupation (Aircraft Engineer, Avionics-323111) related advertisement from local newspaper because job listing from online source may not be considered enough evidence.

• Monica June 22, 2016, 5:05 am | Link

Hi bob :
    I am a Qualified Vet Nurse , will move to dawrin soon , and i have to stay for 2 years !
    And will that be easy for me to find job over there ? How many animal clinic around in Dawrin ? Do they close tgt or far away by each !
    I thinking where is the best place for me to stay !
    Monica

• BobinOz June 23, 2016, 12:38 am | Link

Darwin is not a big place, everything is close together. I don’t know how many animal clinics there are in Darwin, but it is one of the best areas in Australia to find work. Good luck, Bob

• Gamini June 24, 2016, 10:19 pm | Link

Hi Monika and Bob
      I am Gamini from Darwin . As Bob said Darwin is a small town. here we have only around 20 animal clinics(approximately) but there are some opportunities to qualified vet Nurses. Ark animal hospital, university avenue vet hospital, all pet animal hospital, Darwin vet hospital, Palmerston veterinary hospital and Litchfield vet hospital are some of them and Ark veterinary hospital and university avenue vet hospital have advertised some vet nurse vacancies on seek website. I think it is better to contact them over the phone. good luck
      gamini

• Monica June 29, 2016, 2:21 pm | Link

Dear Bob and Gamini
        Thanks for the information !
        May i know which website ?
        And about accommodation , i prefer sharehouse , however i notice on bob had mentioned do mot trust those photo , so should i book hotel first then look around by myself or any good agent can introduce to me please

• BobinOz June 29, 2016, 11:10 pm | Link

The website advertising the vacancies is called ‘Seek’ and you will find a link to it on my page called Getting a Job or a Sponsorship.

If you can find shared accommodation somewhere and book for just one month initially, as a trial, then I would try and do that. If you don’t like it, you can always leave and it would be better and cheaper than booking a hotel.

• Monics June 30, 2016, 4:37 am | Link

Dear bob
            Thanks for the information, appreciated it
            Monica

• James June 2, 2016, 1:08 am | Link

Hello
    Very soon be getting my permanent residents visa but it’s a ‘regional ‘
    Visa so I can only go certain areas.

Darwin
    Murray NSW
    Orana NSW

After 2 years then I can work city’s Brisbane Sydney etc

I’m single 32 and mechanical fitter which
    Area would you recommend,

Jimmy

• Neharika June 2, 2016, 2:56 pm | Link

Hey even I have applied for NT. You got visa of sub class 189, 190 or 489? I have applied for 190.

• BobinOz June 2, 2016, 7:56 pm | Link

I would go to wherever you can be most certain of finding work, because getting your first Australian job and therefore what they call ‘local experience’ is not always easy.

I don’t know anything about the places in NSW, but my understanding is that Darwin is a good place to find work. If I were you though, I do some research, you can use the links on my page called Getting a Job or a Sponsorship, and go where the work is.

• Michael June 20, 2016, 11:50 am | Link

Darwin, has more opportunities, but also a higher cost of living.

Skilled Mechanics, working on Light & Heavy Vehicles are in high demand.

BUT it depends on your skill-set? (ie what you can work on & do), Also its a lot more common to only be working as a single mechanic or with a small team, PLUS good English skills is essential. In Australia you are expected to be able to do a complete job, start to finish, without having to get assistance from your supervisor (sure you can ask questions etc, but tasks are not as split up with different people doing different parts of the job, you must be able to do a full range of work).

In the major capital cities (Melbourne / Sydney / Brisbane) will most only be able to find work driving taxi’s, you will be competing with thousands of others for jobs, the Regional areas will definitely give you a much better opportunity.

But again it depends on YOU, how good you are that the job & how good your english and communication skills are.

• shani July 18, 2016, 11:40 pm | Link

I’m applying to come to Darwin on work visa I am a hairdresser with a child of 12 years old. I am a single parent and want to know if I can manage the expenses alone . And what will be the salary for a hairdresser in Darwin. Also I want to know the house rent. Please let me know

Thankx

• D B Rodrigo June 1, 2016, 1:00 pm | Link

Our son See and opportunity to migrate to Australia and the
    skilled job opportunity is on CSOL category and the current state
    opening is in Nothern territory Darvin.
    He is a training development manager.

Do see any potential over there.
    thanks Sir
    dR

• BobinOz June 1, 2016, 11:30 pm | Link

Yes, probably, but your son should investigate job opportunities before he arrives here to see if anything appeals to him. Sometimes it’s not easy to land a job here in Australia, especially if you’re new to the country.

What I’m saying is, he shouldn’t arrive expecting to find work, he should do some research before he gets here.

• Captain April 30, 2016, 9:35 pm | Link

How is the IT industry in the state? I am looking for starting IT company in Australia. I am also purchasing license for the petrol Pump. Pls suggest the places.

• Komal April 16, 2016, 10:12 pm | Link

I am HR professional and currently applying to move to Darwin NT. Me with my husband and 6 month daughter will be applying. I need info on accomodation and overall monthly expenses which would be incurred. Also, how is job market for HR people?
    Earliest response is required.

Komal

• Ivan April 14, 2016, 8:12 am | Link

Hi there people,

Can I have your guys opinion about neighborhoods in Darwin? I’m planning to move there in September and would greatly appreciate if you can give me information about where to live, and also what areas to avoid.
    I have never lived in Australia and honestly its very difficult to find information about Darwin suburbs.

Ivan

• jane April 14, 2016, 9:20 pm | Link

We just moved here last week, it’s really easy to get around Darwin via car or bike. We are moving to Stuart Park and it’s nice and leafy compared to some of the other places we’ve found but anywhere in the 0820 postcode is good. Has a few good cafes. Otherwise I’d say choose somewhere that’s close to work or things you like doing. Good luck with your move! People here told me to avoid Ludmilla by the way.

• Pooj April 14, 2016, 11:10 pm | Link

Hi Jane! I am moving to Darwin in December and I am considering renting a place in Stuart park. Just out of interest, did you make your arrangements for accommodation in advance (not sure if the estate agents do that) or you stayed in a hotel before you moved to a rented property. Please advice me on this. I am not sure how to go about. I have 2 kids so it’s not easy to get there without making accommodation arrangements. I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks

• jane April 16, 2016, 8:42 am | Link

Hi Pooj,

We were at a backpackers for a week, but we also aren’t with 2 kids. Apparently it’s a renters market here at the moment, lots of homes were available, we got to take the time to choose what was right for us so we were very lucky. Stuart Park is 5 mins away from a lot of things so if you consider that, and if you knew Sydney/Melbourne prices, I’d say you’re paying half price for rent. On the other hand though, I’d warn you that shipping is an issue for Darwin so furniture could be expensive. Agents here seem pretty good but just to warn you, if you pick a place before seeing it first but find that its not right after you’ve signed the lease, NT has a policy where you’ll be charged rent till they find a replacement so technically if it was a quiet market and the agent was unable to fill the property, you could be paying till your lease runs out. You’ll probably be fine for renting in December as it’ll be wet season, I hear it’s going to be a shock to the system and most travellers are gone by then because of this. Good luck!

• Pooj April 16, 2016, 8:59 am | Link

Thank you Jane.

• Shreyas Chaurasia May 14, 2016, 9:01 am | Link

Dear Mrs Pooja ,

Congratulations for ur permanent residency- NT and good to know ull be moving soon with your. Well just a small suggesstion needed from you. I am thinking to apply for GSM subclass 190 as my occupation is on csol and I have the required points. Roughly my points would be 75. However, I would like to know, how fast does NT govt reply back reg nomination. Minimum how many months does it take for the entire process once all papers are ready
          Also how is NT in terms of finding/ getting professional jobs. Earlier while I was in Melbourne, I saw people having PR but no job in their own field. That experience is making me a bit curious about my PR visa plan. I would like if all people find time to reply. The ones who have migrated and settled, also the ones who have got their visa and will be migrating soon.

• Neharika May 14, 2016, 9:57 pm | Link

Hi, Even I want to know if we submit the EOI for NT, then how much time it takes to reply? I have already submitted the EOI and now I am waiting for the result.

• BobinOz May 15, 2016, 9:39 pm | Link

I don’t think there is a set time scale at all, it’s different for everybody. Please check out the comments on my page about EOI, lots of people who have been through that process have shared their experiences about it on that page.

• Ivan April 15, 2016, 10:30 am | Link

Thank you Jane for your input, I will surely take it into consideration. I will be working in a suburb called Millner do you have any opinions or comments about that area?

• jane April 16, 2016, 8:45 am | Link

Hi Ivan,

I think it’s good, I haven’t explored that suburb much as yet. Been to Nightcliff and Coconut Grove which is near by, the water is beautiful there and was a massive tease as you can’t swim there. Easy to bike around with quiet streets. Enjoy.

• Ivan April 16, 2016, 9:12 am | Link

Thank you very much Jane, its really nice to have an opinion from someone who already is there.

• Jane April 25, 2016, 5:52 pm | Link

Milliner is good! Close to cafes and shops, you can pretty much get to most places within 15 mins in the town area from there, stuff you want/need on a day to day basis I mean. It’s only when you’re off to Litchfield for example that you’re in for a longer drive.

• Max June 12, 2016, 8:36 am | Link

Hi,JANE,
                I am highly impressed with your on the spot assessment.
                I am planning to relocate to northern territory preferably Darwin with my family of 4.please can you kindly assist me in on the ground assessment of the availability of housing, cost of living (for example, rent, food, transport, utilities, etc.) and costs involved upon arrival in the NT and while I seek for employment as a medical laboratory technician.
                Thanks for your kind help in anticipation

• Ragavendran March 9, 2016, 8:29 pm | Link

Thanks for the great level of info about Darwin. I did read every single comments and it gave me a bit of flavor about Darwin without even visiting it 🙂

I currently hold 489 visa sponsored by NT govt and my occupation is Accountant.I hold 10 years of exp in this field.

Can you give how the Job market for Accountants. ? I read all the comments but no specific info about my occupation 🙁

thanks
    Ragav

• Pranav March 9, 2016, 10:45 pm | Link

Hi raghvendra,
      Just wondering when did u apply for NT 489 visa?

• Ragavendran March 10, 2016, 4:07 pm | Link

Pranav,

I applied for 190 but they have granted only 489. I applied during November and have got the visa grant on 23rd Feb.

• BobinOz March 10, 2016, 5:19 pm | Link

I don’t know specifically about the job market for accountants in Darwin, but you can research it on my page called Getting a Job or a Sponsorship. Good luck, Bob

• Pranav March 10, 2016, 7:17 pm | Link

Hi raghvendra, may i know how many points did u have as i also applied for the same visa in jan but still waiting?
          Cheers

• venkatesh March 12, 2016, 12:35 am | Link

Hi Raghavendra,
      I am Venkatesh from Mumbai and i have also got 489 for NT. I also plan to go to Darwin. Email me your contact details at : venkyys@gmail.com.

we can connect and probably can be of help to each other.

Cheers!!!

• Jenny April 9, 2016, 10:33 am | Link

Hi Ragavendran,

Im an accountant too and also being offered 489 visa from NT.

I am still considering whether to take it up. Seems like they only issue 489 for applicantsof 190 visa.

• Suman Chatterjee May 20, 2016, 12:52 am | Link

Same story with me as well. Applied for 190 got 489 instead.
        However, there is one big advantage of NT 489…. it allows you to work in the capital city …unlike 489 of other states.

So, I have made my decision and going ahead with it.
        I have been following this forum for almost a year now and I sincerely thank Bob for doing an excellent job in getting everyone to share their thoughts ad woes in here.

Now, I am also in need of certain guidance or help.

I am moving to Darwin from Kolkata in the second week of June. And as expected, the biggest worry is ACCOMMODATION.

Any suggestion, how to go about it?? Sites like Gumtree and flatmates are there but I believe, cheaper options are definitely available. It is very important because, settling in a new place takes time and we cannot base our decision on a dwelling place before understanding the logistics of the city.

So, if any one can give me any leads on this……..I will be very greatful.

I am hotelier by profession and had got my skill assessment done for the profession of Cafe / Restaurant Manager (141111). So, definitely, I will have to look for a place which will be closer to a place which will have ample options of food and beverage related jobs.

Please help me on this!!

• BobinOz May 20, 2016, 8:41 pm | Link

Thank you for the compliment, very much appreciated.

You are right, it is best to get here first and find temporary accommodation before deciding where you want to live more permanently. The new kid on the block for that one is probably Airbnb, especially if it’s just you on your own when you first get here, because you can rent just a room in somebody else’s house.

It is worth checking out, because whilst some places on Airbnb can be very expensive, others can be pretty cheap. Good luck, Bob

• Pooja June 19, 2016, 6:46 am | Link

Hi Suman! You have mentioned earlier that you got your 489 visa and will be moving to Darwin in June, hope you managed to find a good accommodation out there. My husband also applied for 489 (we were offered but waiting for visa). He too is going there as Cafe and Resturant manager and has 9 years of experience. Just out of interest… Has it been easy to find a proper job in your field in Darwin? And how did you get your accommodation sorted? Please share your experience. Thanks

• Suman June 20, 2016, 11:40 am | Link

Hi Pooja
            Good to know.
            Well, I am only a week old here. Accommodation is sorted out for the time being. Right now, job hunt is on. You got to understand one thing very clearly, Aus market is very different and our Indian experience does’nt really count. What I mean is…….for the initial break, one would have to rely on part time jobs and be ready to take whatever comes in your way. The idea is to get inside the workforce and start gathering experience of working in this country. Once you do that, then your previous experience will also start to count. I mean, this is what I have experienced here and few of my known colleagues have also told me.
            Having said that, there is no fixed formula for success here. What had worked for my friend, might not work for me. Likewise, what would work out for me, might not work out for your husband.

There is no need to panic though and try to get along with it. However, I would certainly recommend to get down here as soon as possible, because, right now, its the dry season and tourists are pouring in. Naturally, it will result in voluminous job openings. If you delay it and come here after, say, october……then you will find it even harder to get a job to start.
            I wish you all the best.
            AND, do wish me luck as well, so that, I can get a good start.
            Cheers!!

• Cynthia June 20, 2016, 12:18 pm | Link

Hi suman.
              This is a cry for help.
              There Is A Saying In My Place That Desperate Times Deserves Desperate Measures. I and my husband Have Been Searching All Over The Net For Help Before he told me of this blog. We Have Been Trying For 2 Years To Migrate Under Skilled Migration Plan Visa 190 To Northern Territory Australia. Finally his Occupation Is Added Into Nt Occupation Plan. We Prepared Necessary Documents But There Is A Strong Request To Have Contacts In Nt. Unfortunately, I Do Not Have Either Friends Or Relatives Who Live There neither does he. I Am Afraid That it may leadership to Denial. Please, I Am Really Desperate… Moreover, we Will Be Really Happy To Find A New Friend Abroad.please If You Agree which I know you will Because you are an Expatriat and you passed through it, kind Write Either Personally To An E-Mail. We Have No Bad Intention To Use Personal Details Against You. Is just For the Nomination. We Have To Specify: Full Legal Name, Contact Number, Address.

I And My Family Will Be Highly Indebted To You Which We Hope To Repay Someday If You Would Help Me Out Because I Have No Other Hope And I Don’t Want To Be Rejected.

Thanks a million

• Cynthia June 20, 2016, 12:31 pm | Link

My Email is cynthize_u90@yahoo.com and my husband is maxylynks@yahoo.com.
                You can check me on facebook as cynthia chinelo okafor-nwankwo. Thanks

• Suman June 21, 2016, 1:13 pm | Link

Dear Cynthia

Greetings from Darwin!

I have gone through your post yesterday and completely understand your situation.

Now, you got to trust me on this :-

# I am here for only 10 days and right now I am trying get things going for myself.

# I am Subclass 489, and so, do not have a permanent residency status. So, my acknowledgement of knowing you is not going to be of any help to you.

# Apart from this, on the application for any category of Visa, they always ask a question, that, if you know anybody staying in the city where you want to move. Trust me, negative answer doesn’t make a 0.0001% difference to the outcome. I did not put anybody’s name on that and many of my friends have not done so and they are different parts of the country – Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth. So do not worry about that at all.

# Most importantly, immigration laws can change any time. And if, the DIBP get in touch with me to know about our acquaintances which you want to declare……..they might ask me few questions…….and if my answers do not satisfy them, then, instead of helping your cause, it might damage the situation for you, and your case might be deemed as a case of fraudulent.

So I would sincerely advise not to get into this. If you are getting assistance from any agent ( I hope, he will be a registered MARA agent), you should go ahead and ask him the same thing. I am absolutely sure that he / she will tell you the exact thing which I am saying here.

Even Bob will agree to whatever I have said here. He is a keen follower of each and every post in this forum and has gathered much knowledge and experience on this subject.

I hope you understand the situation here.

All the best dear.

Warm regards
                  Suman

• BobinOz June 21, 2016, 6:21 pm | Link

Whilst I cannot comment on certain visa matters because only MARA migration agents are allowed to assist, I can most definitely confirm that it is a very very bad idea to start making things up on the Australian visa application. Anybody who does is almost certain to get caught out and the Australian immigration department take a very dim view of applications of that nature.

So as Suman has said, just don’t do it.

• Ronil V Deo July 29, 2016, 1:55 pm | Link

Hi Dear Suman.
                    Hope you are in good health.
                    Soon I will be applying for VISA 489, for Northern Territory. One of the requirement is the family/friend connections in NT that I should have. Would you volunteer to be my connection so that i can get my nomination approved.
                    With Respect
                    Ronil

• BobinOz July 31, 2016, 9:33 pm | Link

Ha ha, Ronil, you are too funny 🙂

• Matthew February 25, 2016, 2:12 pm | Link

Why aren’t my comments getting published ?

• BobinOz February 25, 2016, 5:44 pm | Link

You have had one comment blocked because it was in breach of my comment policy. The link to my comment policy is above the comment box, perhaps you should have a read before trying to post again.

Here’s a clue though, your short message above does not include any foul language and that went through okay.

• Jamal Hammadi January 15, 2016, 2:07 pm | Link

A heartful thanks to Bob, for answering the queries of other people. The answers proved to be informative for me, as I am also planning to commence my Bachelors degree at CDU from July 2016.

Although, I never went to Darwin but my acquiantances living their responded quite positive about this part of Australia. He said, to get a job and to earn a good amount from Darwin to provide for the expenses is quite realistic. He also assured, if you are willing to work hard and do have the necessary skills for the job, you will get employed.

Being a resident there he also warned me of the fate of many inteenational students arriving here. According to him, many students coming from the Indian sub-continent get accustomed to use their fortune for unnecessary expenses for tempting things(you know forbidden things attract much attention, and when not under any parental supevision temptation cannot be easily avoided). The ultimate result is they fail to complete their studies and need to get back to their home country, as they fall short off money to pay their tution fees for their respectve institution, because of the lavish way they spended their money. So, his suggestion was an International student arriving here with a tight budget(for fullfilling an addiction available for money, any amount of budget would not be a fit for you) should spent their fortune wisely.

This words are only for the ones who are arriving to Darwin for study. Although, I could not provide a first hand experience, I think it would yet be quite helpful.

Also when I arrive to Darwin I also need to abide by the words that I have mentioned above. Easier said than done. Right!!! ??…..

• BobinOz January 18, 2016, 2:35 am | Link

I’m pretty sure that’s part of the fun of going to university, enjoying some of the vices when you’re not studying:-) Surely that’s the whole idea of getting away from your parents for a couple of years? I take your point though, you do need to keep up with your studies, failing is something to be regretted for a very long time.

As they say, work hard play hard.

And yes, I think the job situation up in Darwin is pretty good. Enjoy your studies, Bob

• Jamal Hammadi January 20, 2016, 12:51 pm | Link

Yes, enjoying when studying overseas is not a problematic thing.But the better part is to ………..ENJOY RESPONSIBLY…….

• Anna January 9, 2016, 11:24 am | Link

I want to move from Darwin to Melbourne how do I move and get housed there I have called a number of agents and they want me to be there to inspect the property but I have no family there pls help I have. A child who gets medical attention there I’m finding it difficult to move there

• BobinOz January 11, 2016, 6:11 pm | Link

Yes, I’m afraid that is a bit of a rule I think, that the tenant must personally inspect the property. I’m not sure what you can do to get round it, but I would speak to the rental agents and ask for suggestions. If not, maybe try and contact some relocation specialists to see if they can help. Good luck, Bob

• Michael February 19, 2016, 7:49 am | Link

Yes you will find it nearly impossible to pre-arrange. Perhaps if you are a specialized professional with a proven record and good references they will take your application.

However the good news is that at the moment it is very easy to find rental properties, particularly units, in Darwin. The amount of vacant units has never been higher and this has also brought prices down.

I work with quite a few real estate agents (we do their IT systems), and right now you won’t have any trouble finding accommodation and will have lots to choose from.

However you will need to be here first and you will like anywhere need to have some references (preferably previous landlords).

If you contacted me directly I can put you in touch with one of the bigger Real Estate Agents and get the process started.

• Che November 2, 2015, 5:07 pm | Link

I just want to ask how long CDU assess international students documents in enrolling school if the intake will be on March ’16? Is it easier to find par time job there in F&B line?

• BobinOz November 2, 2015, 11:31 pm | Link

I have no idea how long they take, in fact I don’t even know what CDU stands for 🙂 or, for that matter, F & B. Good luck though, Bob

• Taro September 15, 2015, 9:10 pm | Link

hi
    I recently moved to australia three months back with Permanent residency. I am currently living in nsw and have done masters in computer applications but unable to find jobs here. I want to relocate asap from here. I want to know which state in australia will help me in getting white collar jobs. Please help me. What if I move to Adelaide or Darwin?

• Vinod Naik August 25, 2015, 9:06 pm | Link

This article about NT is quite interesting and I got several insights about NT. I am planning to file my EOI for NT for visa 190. My profession is Mechanical engineering and could you please let me know the prospects for air-conditioning jobs in NT or Darwin as I have got 4 years of experience in the same. Is it a developing state with many buildings, institutes and industries mushrooming up where there are chances of landing up a job in building services will be quite easy.

• BobinOz August 26, 2015, 4:51 pm | Link

I can’t actually tell you what your job prospects might be up there, although I do know that at the moment NT is known as the best place to be to get a job in Australia, on the downside new builds are apparently slow there as well.

One thing is for sure though, the place needs air-conditioning everywhere, probably all year round.

You may find some help about opportunities on my page called Getting a Job or a Sponsorship.

• Alpesh February 22, 2016, 6:43 pm | Link

Good

• wanda May 10, 2015, 6:16 pm | Link

Hi everyone, I’m new to this site..wonder if anyone has info on the best area to live in Darwin??
    We move out next year but Darwin wasn’t our first choice. I’ve got 3 kids,ages 9, 7 and 1year so need somewhere affordable,with good schools,clubs etc.
    Any tips,gratefully received!

• Jekaterina May 10, 2015, 10:03 pm | Link

Hi Bob!
      I have the same questions as wanda do. We are moving with two kinds (2 and 4 years old). Which area is the best for living: Criteria: quite, schools, preschools, daycares, shops, not far from Darwin, not very expensive flats for rent? I read a lot about Palmerston City. What do you think about it?

How long are waitlists into preschools and childcare centers? Maybe you know if it is possible to register a kind before arrival. Our 489 visa will be granted in September.
      Kate

• BobinOz May 11, 2015, 11:01 pm | Link

I wish I could help you both, but I simply don’t know Darwin well enough. I’ve only been there once for 10 days, not long enough to make these kinds of suggestions.

Hopefully somebody from up that way will help you out.

Anybody?

• Starlight October 26, 2015, 8:50 am | Link

Hi ya! Did you get your visa sorted and what area and school did u eventually choose ? I am very confused as to which area would be best for the kids. My elder daughter is 7 years old in year 2. I am considering Stuart park and the local school there but not sure how the area is? Any suggestion or recommendation? Please help!!

• Pooj February 19, 2016, 7:29 am | Link

Hi ya! Hope you are settled in Darwin by now. I am planning to move as well with my family. I have 2 kids, 7 yrs and 2 yrs. just out of interest which area did you pick and how is the school there. I was thinking of Stuart park but not sure about the area especially the school. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• Irum February 19, 2016, 9:14 pm | Link

Hi there,
        We went in December and got hold of a good accommodation in the Nakara suburb. My 9 yrs old has started Nakara Primary School and I’ve found it quite nice and the staff helpful.
        Stuart Park is also a nice area to live in and I’ve heard that Stuart School has a good rating.
        Do google a bit about the ratings of public schools in Darwin & you’ll get a fine idea. The term has already started from 25th Jan. You have to visit the school & they’ll give you 2 forms to fill. One is to enroll your children with the Education Dept of NT & second one is for the school.
        So far I’m findings the system quite helpful. Remember to carry your child’s vaccination record when you’ll go for the admissions.
        All the best………………….

• Pooj March 12, 2016, 1:12 am | Link

Hi! Thanks for your response. I was wondering, since you too have 2 kids .. Was it difficult for them to settle out there, especially in school? When you first landed in Darwin did you stay in a hotel? And how long does it normally take to get a rented accomation? Do they require references from your home country? I am really hoping to get my accomation sorted before I travel but looks like it isn’t gonna be an easy task. Hope to hear from you soon. Thanks

• Max June 12, 2016, 9:16 am | Link

Hi Irum,
          I am Maxwell, I am planning to relocate to northern territory with my family of 4.please can you kindly assist me in on the ground assessment of the availability of housing, cost of living (for example, rent, food, transport, utilities, etc.),child care and costs involved upon arrival in the NT and while I seek for employment as a medical laboratory technician. (Not internet info)
          Thanks for your kind help in anticipation

• NAV May 3, 2015, 1:33 pm | Link

hi bob..
    am planning to move darwin on 489 visa..i need some job posting in my field that is Lecturer..could u please list me some colleges where business management related courses are running???

• BobinOz May 4, 2015, 6:39 pm | Link

No. Why would I want to spend my time researching where you can apply for a job?

• Irum February 19, 2016, 9:15 pm | Link

Check out Charles Darwin University web page….u might find something.

• Era andrde April 21, 2015, 9:17 am | Link

Hi bob, I’m era from newzealand I’m a Filipino just wanted to ask if it’s good to work as a healthcare assistant or a carer in Darwin im 24 years old and wanting to work in another country Even just a short time like a year so.

• BobinOz April 22, 2015, 5:18 pm | Link

I can’t help with this one, I’ve never worked in healthcare or Darwin. I can tell you that Darwin is a good place at the moment to look for work, but of course you will need a visa that will allow you to work there and that may be the tricky part.

See Visas.

• Michael Parker April 8, 2015, 10:55 pm | Link

Hi All,

Some comments from an IT Employer in Darwin & I have a bit to do with the Local University Charles Darwin University & other employers in Darwin and the Top End of Australia.

– Yes Darwin has a good economy and is probably THE BEST Place to find work for Travelers and overseas students in Australia

– Darwin is a great place to migrate to and other cultures, religions, races of people are generally welcomed and there are large multicultural communities

– The cost of living & Accommodation is higher than most other places in Australia (although I think its now a bit cheaper than Sydney)

– Accommodation is getting relatively cheaper and more available than it was say a year ago

– If your an international student Charles Darwin University has subsidised accommodation options

Other comments:
    – There is already lots on info on Darwin here on Bob in Oz, so make sure you READ it all

– Good English skills are ESSENTIAL if you are to find work or be successful in Australia

– Yes the Australian Government has several Visa options that you could take after completing successfully your studies, and IF you are hard working, willing to learn and keen then you have a good chance of finding work and getting a visa

Some useful links are:

http://www.immi.gov.au (obviously)

• BobinOz April 9, 2015, 5:25 pm | Link

Great tips Michael, and some very useful links. Thanks, Bob

• Rahul April 8, 2015, 4:54 pm | Link

I’m an indian, whoz lookin across fir doin an MS in mechanical engineering @ CDU.
    Is it easy to find a job there in Darwin after completing d course?
    One nore thing, is it easy to find a part time job when I’m perusing d carrer

• BobinOz April 8, 2015, 7:18 pm | Link

I don’t know how easy or difficult you will find it, but I can tell you that it’s pretty much general knowledge here in Australia at the moment that the Northern Territory, which of course includes Darwin, is the easiest place in this country to find work. So I reckon you’d have a very good chance.

• kamran March 8, 2015, 2:43 pm | Link

Thanks for providing such an essential information about the country.I want to know about the breif information about the expenses in NT including food,accomodation and daily expenses etc.

• venky February 20, 2015, 8:20 pm | Link

Hi guys and Bob,
    This blog has been very informative for me. Thanks. I am from India and a HR professional with a Post graduate degree and 8+ yrs of experience in Human Resources. I intend to migrate to Darwin under the state sponsored skill visa category along with with my wife who is a Statistics graduate.

Can you Bob or any body let us know about opportunities in Human Resource in Darwin please.

• BobinOz February 22, 2015, 8:38 pm | Link

I don’t have any local knowledge of Darwin and job availability as I’m in Brisbane, if you check out my page called Getting a Job or a Sponsorship you will find some useful information that will help answer your question.

Of course, if anybody in Darwin has any advice, we’d love to hear from you. Anybody?

• Tijo February 18, 2015, 1:16 am | Link

First of all, thank you to Bob for this quick response
    you’re doing a great help to everybody here!

• BobinOz February 18, 2015, 9:59 pm | Link

Thanks Tijo and I think you are making the right decision, you should go where the opportunities are. Good luck, Bob

• Tijo February 18, 2015, 1:12 am | Link

Above all that, my advisor back in my home country, strongly suggested chemical engineering in Northern territory, because she said it has lots of scope in there
    and the payScale is high as compared to other cities,
    so, I think I should stick to that. moreover securing the future is wise 😉

• Tijo February 18, 2015, 1:06 am | Link

Yeah I bet but universities in Melbourne are highly expensive.
    I think at this time I’m completely hopeless

• Tijo February 17, 2015, 12:08 pm | Link

dang!!!
    that’s suck! parkway drive was there few years ago
    since I’m a singer, and looking forward to start a band, probably darwin isn’t good for Hardcore / metalcore / deathcore acts
    But I’m really confused right now
    at one hand there’s my Bachelor’s of engineering ( chemical) degree, on the other side there’s This ” band craze

• BobinOz February 18, 2015, 1:02 am | Link

Decisions decisions! Melbourne is probably the best city for the music scene.

• ugyen February 14, 2015, 4:01 am | Link

Hi BobOz,
    M planning to move to Darwin with my wife for studies at CDU. Since we donot know any one there who could help us to find our accomodation as soon we arrive can u plz tell us from where we could get help.
    ugyen

• BobinOz February 16, 2015, 1:46 pm | Link

Finding rental accommodation in Darwin can be quite tricky, so I’ve been told. Maybe you should have a word with the Administration Department over at Charles Darwin University to see if they can help.

Other than that, you could click on the link in the above article for properties to rent and get in touch direct with those real estate agents to see what they can do to help.

• Pooja March 12, 2016, 8:37 am | Link

Hi How did your house hunt go? Did you manage to find accommodation before travelling? Any suggestions would be highly appreciated. Thanks

• Tijo February 3, 2015, 7:17 pm | Link

dear Bob, your post is too suprwsome!! really helped me to choose Darwin instead of others.. Going to start my uni year at CDU in this July!!. I have one doubt too, what about the entertainments and related things in Darwin??
    since I’m very passionate about Rock really interested to know about the festivals, gigs and concerts around darwin!!

• BobinOz February 3, 2015, 9:46 pm | Link

Ah,Tijo, you may have to do some thorough research into this yourself. Hopefully somebody from Darwin can chime in here, but the way I see it, it is not the place to go to look forward to rock shows, music festivals, gigs and concerts.

When big bands come to tour Australia, they will definitely play Sydney and Melbourne, they will probably play Brisbane and Perth, and they might play one or two other cities, perhaps.

Will they get to Darwin? Probably not.

There is only one street in Darwin that is full of restaurants, bars and nightlife, it is right in the centre of town and apart from that, there’s not much going on. There is Darwin Entertainment Centre, but apart from that, I’m not sure even where a big band would play live.

Maybe they have festivals, but they wouldn’t be no Glastonbury or Knebworth, or even a Big Day Out.

Can any locals enlighten us more about this?

• Irum December 9, 2014, 3:57 am | Link

Hi all,
    Planning a move to Darwin. Can someone let me know the scope in hospitality industry there? What is the job situation? Is it easy to find work and will it be enough to cover the expenses?
    We are from Pakistan and would appreciate if anyone there can share their contact details with us.

• BobinOz December 9, 2014, 4:31 pm | Link

Have a read of some of Michael’s comments above, he’s written quite a bit about finding work and I have heard for some time that finding a job in Darwin isn’t too difficult, Michael’s comments really confirm that.

As for hospitality, I couldn’t say for sure, but Darwin is a bit of a holiday destination so I don’t see why not. Good luck, Bob

• rishi November 30, 2014, 12:46 am | Link

hello guys

thank you very much bob sir and michael sir…

please help me and can you give me some contact number or email ofsome oversees students who are study and working in darwin… i want to ask some question from them and bob and michael can you also give me your contact number suchnas whatsapp number and
    please tell me which city is better darwin, adelaide, perth, melbourn, which one is better for me plzz help me

• BobinOz December 1, 2014, 5:29 pm | Link

Well no, I can’t give you any contact telephone numbers of students, I don’t know any. And I think you’ll find Google will give you a lot of information about whatever a whatsapp is, so that’s something you should research for yourself.

As for which is the better city, it’s all down to personal taste, we can’t decide that for you. My page A Quick Guide to Choosing a City in Australia may help you though.

• Michael November 29, 2014, 9:12 am | Link

Hi Rishi,
    Yes Darwin is a safe place. There is a large number of people from India living, working and studying in Darwin.
    You will find Darwin a place, that’s better than most in terms of welcoming people from overseas and we have a probably the most multicultural community which mixes very well and lots of events based on peoples culture and food.

Crime rate is low, but of course does exist like anywhere.

Work wise, yes I can say without a doubt that Darwin IS DEFINATELY now and has been over the past couple of years THE BEST place in Australia to find work, Traveller’s, WHV, 457, Student Visa holder and of course are welcome by most employers (provided you are good at your job and have some skills, even if its just something like cleaning).
    Basically this is because Darwin is a young and vibrant place and is booming at the moment and there are simply not enough local workers to fill the available jobs.
    The down side of this though is that accommodation is very expensive for the same reasons.

For example I personally know several overseas students that are able to fund their University Education fees by working and studying (Its hard work though, doing both well).

The main university is Charles Darwin University or CDU, it has a high proportion of overseas students due to Darwin’s proximity with Asia. See http://www.cdu.edu.au/

Other useful links to Darwin are:

Plus of course right here at http://www.bobinoz.com

• Jekaterina Široki February 1, 2015, 8:46 pm | Link

Hello Michael!

My name is Kate and I am from Estonia. I and my family (2 infants and a spouse) have been desperately trying for 2 years to migrate under skilled migration plan VISA 190 to Australia. Finally my occupation is added into the NT occupation plan. We prepared necessary documents but there is a strong request to prepare cost analysis in the commitment to NT.
      Could you be so kind to have a look whether this web page provide right info?

Great thanks in advance, Kate

• Mahesh March 21, 2017, 1:03 pm | Link

Hey Kate, how ru doing? I hope by now u might have migrated to Darwin, if so can you please share your experience of living there, job prospects, costs, accommodation, etc.

Thanks,

• hrishey November 28, 2014, 9:35 pm | Link

hello everyone i am rishi from india
    i want to do study in charles darwin university in darwin..
    i have few queries such as is darwin i Sd safe for international student like me and part time jobs work is available in darwin for student? and recently i idi some reserch on darwin city and then i came to know that work at nighr in darwin is very risky because of crime rate, is realyy it is true? crime rate is very high in darwin? please give me the answer of my question…

• BobinOz November 29, 2014, 12:27 am | Link

I can’t really answer this question properly, I’ve only been to Darwin once and just for 10 days. But I can tell you that I walked the streets at night, every night, and I didn’t find it particularly worrying at all, it all seemed quite safe to me.

As for work, my understanding is that it’s actually quite easy to find work in Darwin and there are quite a few bars and restaurants in the main drag that appeared to employ students.

As I say though, I’m only basing that on one holiday, hopefully somebody who knows Darwin much better than I do can also give you some guidance.

• Ak February 22, 2018, 6:43 am | Link

Don’t worry, Hrishey, crime rate does exist, but it it is about the Same as the crime rate in other large cities. I’ve lived in darwin for 7 years now and really there is nothing to be afraid of.

• Michael Parker November 17, 2014, 7:59 am | Link

Darwin is a great place and there is high demand for SKILLED employees which can’t be met locally. So if you have a WHV , or other type of Visa its certainly one of the pick of places to go to in Australia.

If you have excellent skills in IT or Sales & Marketing IT (including direct customer facing work skills) and EXCELLENT English, then I have IT Jobs available. See:
    If you have the skills Email me your resume and covering letter! (see the website for the email address, do not post here saying whats your email address!)

Also another great resource for those wanting to list themselves as available is the skilled worker database (listing of workers that Employers use to find workers) is at:

There is also a lot of other general information about Darwin and the Northern Territory there.

Lastly THIS FORUM and the resources on it. Bob has done a fanstastic job of giving you access to an incredible amount of information to help you get work and move to Australia. USE IT, Read IT, buy the resources. I can’t belive the amount of people here who think that if they find someone who want’s $10,000 and promises them them the world they will be so quick to want to hand over the $$ when there is so much FREE and Low cost (such as the finding work in Australia resources & book), that will do a lot more for you. If you do and there can be good reasons to use a MARA agent, make sure you DO your research, check their status, find out who is behind the company etc. But people can and do also do it themselves.

Good luck, put in the work and it will pay off.

• Hilary November 17, 2014, 2:13 pm | Link

I heartily agree with you Michael, this is one fantastic resource for all of us. Bob is committed to helping others with his generosity and willingness to answer all our queries as best he can. Best of all I like his great sense of humour and skill in dealing with the inevitable difficult posts. Always guaranteed to cheer me up! Thanks again Bob.

• BobinOz November 17, 2014, 5:16 pm | Link

Michael, Hilary, I’m blushing 🙂 but thank you both for your very kind words, very much appreciated. And Michael, some great tips about finding work, not just this post, but the others you have made around my website.

• Jekaterina Široki February 2, 2015, 8:17 pm | Link

Hi Hilary!
        I have already posted a few comments but did not receive any reply yet. Are you living in NT?
        Desperately need anyone’s help! Someone I can refer to in my commitment to the NT.
        If yes, could you right a reply for me!
        Kate

• Mit Sengupta May 11, 2014, 6:58 pm | Link

Hello Bob, while signing in AU visa application form should I have to sign exactly the same way I have done in my passport or can I use a different signature? I’ve recently changed my signature because the previous one was my messy & childish!

• BobinOz May 11, 2014, 9:50 pm | Link

I really don’t know, but your signature is your signature, you may have some explaining to do if anyone picks it up though. From my point of view, I was kind of hoping people would ask questions on this page about Darwin…

• hans January 2, 2014, 4:11 am | Link

Hi Kami – I m paki too and planning to move to Darwin , these suggestions / features helps me a lot.

• Kami December 4, 2013, 5:10 pm | Link

Dear bob

I am also planning to move to darwin, i am an IT and computer person, living in pakistan, so how would you suggest me about my shifting to darwin, i mean howz the IT jobs scope there, living standards and people of which ethnicity are there mostly, and i am scared to read one comment about snakes presence , could you elaborate about that too.

• BobinOz December 5, 2013, 2:36 pm | Link

I couldn’t tell you about IT jobs there Kami or the ethnicity of the region, but you might like to read my posts from my holiday there, start with Darwin, What’s It Really like?

• Michael Parker December 16, 2013, 4:32 pm | Link

Hi Kami, Darwin is a very multicultural city and people of all colours, religions and cultures are well accepted, If you check out the Mindil Beach Markets, you will see that we all enjoy food and input from many different cultures.

Its a great choice, because there are many more opportunities here than in the larger cities.

Living standards are high (and so is the cost of accomodation).

IT work, well if your a good IT Tech or Engineer, I have work!

But I must say that good english and communication skills are essential and often a problem for those with non-english speaking backgrounds. However there are courses you can do and plenty of organisations, clubs & social activities you can join to improve your english if needed.

Snake’s! Not a problem. Yes there are snakes but you are tens of thousands of times more likely to be injured in a car accident. There is a Wildlife Park if you really want to see a snake. Yes we are lucky to have quite a bit of wildlife around, Gecko’s, Frogs etc, but these won’t hurt you. I would recommend that you do NOT go swiming in the rivers due to Crocodiles though, but people still swim a bit at our beaches (even with the croc’s around).

• Nick July 23, 2014, 5:25 am | Link

Hi Michael,
        Myself and my partner are soon moving to Australia. we have been in touch with a few agencies to help us find work before we move. We are heading in the direction of work, rather than a chosen destination. Do you currently have any available positions? Feel free to take a look at my website http://www.nwilburnit.co.uk which is my own company, my skills are self taught and backed up by minor qualifications but i am willing to take a lesser position if you require proof of my abilities. I’m hoping to find a position within the next 6 months. We have already been assessed for Permanent residency and have passed with far more than the required points. If you require any additional information do not hesitate to contact me for my phone or Skype details.

• ivy November 19, 2013, 2:48 pm | Link

we are planning to move to Darwin….we would like to know of a Filipino community in Darwin. Thank you!

• BobinOz November 19, 2013, 6:51 pm | Link

I’m not sure Ivy, only ever been to Darwin for a holiday, but hopefully someone who lives there will help you out. Anybody from up that way know the answer to this?

• Nilki April 2, 2015, 6:09 pm | Link

Hi ivy have you moved to darwin.im
      a filipino too fr perth and trying to consider darwin since its nearer home.we are nurses though,any ideas u could give us.tnks

• Daniel Goldcoast October 18, 2013, 9:44 pm | Link

I wanna move to Australia but to a place with barest minimum snakes……I can’t stand them…originally from Ghana and living in the UK at the moment. Thanks

• BobinOz October 19, 2013, 7:45 pm | Link

Tasmania has the fewest snakes, five different species in all I believe. You may also want to consider purchasing a copy of Living with Snakes, available exclusively from this website and worth every cent.

• Arseniy October 14, 2013, 6:32 am | Link

Hi Bob!
    Do you know about weather in Darwin in the end of this Nov (20-24th). Do you think it will be raining a lot? Are there expected to be any heavy cyclons? What are these rains like (is it raining from morning till evening or they last just for a few minutes but with some intervals through out the whole day?)?
    And the same about Cairns and Great Barrier Rief.. Do you think we could enjoy it in November? Or better to spend more days in Brisbane for example?
    Yrs cincerely,
    Arseniy from Russia

• BobinOz October 15, 2013, 3:11 pm | Link

Well, yes, it will be approaching storm season up that way in November, but the storms don’t usually start properly until December. It will probably be very hot in November, but you may be lucky and not have too much in the way of rain or storms.

The weather forecasters will probably no more closer the time, but I think November could be good for visiting that part of the country. Good luck, Bob

• Andy November 4, 2013, 7:33 am | Link

This might be too late of a response for you, but so far, the build-up this year has been an anomaly. This is my third year in Darwin and it was a very wet October compared to years past. This makes the heat and humidity easier to handle, but if the trend continues I reckon it’ll be a wet lead up straight ’til Christmas.

When it rains it rains cats and dogs, but it doesn’t rain for too long. The weather forecast most days advises an umbrella (which never really helps) and a sunshine advisory. While I probably would have told you differently when I first moved to Darwin, I truly think that this time of year is the best time to visit. The crowds are less, it’s very lush and green, and we’re not too sopping wet yet.

• BobinOz November 5, 2013, 4:01 pm | Link

Thanks for that Andy, hopefully Arseniy is still around to see it.

• Annie April 12, 2013, 11:26 am | Link

Good morning everyone …. I need your thoughts on Darwin … the good, the bad and the ugly …. thinking of making a move and what to get a few view points .. thanks

• BobinOz April 12, 2013, 11:08 pm | Link

Hi Annie

Funny you should ask, a reader called Suzanne made a comment just yesterday on my page about Australia’s best city. Head over to that page and have a read, it definitely has the good, the bad and lots of ugly 🙂

Cheers

Bob

• usman December 2, 2013, 12:00 am | Link

Hi Lived in Darwin for a while. Good experience overall. Multicultural Society so people from overseas find it easier to adjust. Expensive than Brisbane i think but less than Sydney.

• fedra November 5, 2012, 3:51 pm | Link

i will move to Darwin soon can i have a tip about where can i rent a house not to expensive please?

• Kathy November 5, 2012, 12:31 pm | Link

Hi Bob, thanks for all the info – I’m thinking of moving to Darwin, and you give a nice view of it.

• BobinOz November 5, 2012, 2:51 pm | Link

Thanks Kathy, I’m glad it helped a bit.

• Barry October 30, 2012, 5:32 am | Link

Thanks Bob, I did find this pic by trawling around, any ideas anyone?

By the way, I found the town fascinating even in 75/76, really fantastic experience.

It’s not that important i suppose, just remembering, good luck all.

• BobinOz October 30, 2012, 9:14 pm | Link

I am quite fascinated by Darwin too, really looking forward to visiting one day. Not sure I could live there though, the heat may just be too much for me. Hope you track down the street you’re looking for.

• Barry October 29, 2012, 6:09 am | Link

I stayed for around 6 months in Darwin in 1975-76. In the Koala hotel. I think it was on Smith Street. I have looked at google maps but unable to see it, I assume its gone or redeveloped. Can anyone tell me whereabouts it was on Smith, or what is in its place. I really would like to revisit Darwin beacause at that time, of course, there wasn’t much there. Thanks in advane for any replies. Barry

• BobinOz October 29, 2012, 7:57 pm | Link

Obviously I can’t, but hopefully somebody will remember and help you out here Barry.

• Kerry October 11, 2012, 8:36 pm | Link

Hi we are moving to Darwin and would like to know where the best suburb would be to live we have a18 year who is hoping to attend CHarles Darwin uni and a 14 year old who will be in year 10 and we need to find him a good high school . We would like to be near a good school for our son. thank you

• BobinOz October 12, 2012, 8:37 pm | Link

I can’t answer your questions on suburbs in Darwin Kerry, perhaps someone else can help you with that, but maybe my page called Which school? can help you out with finding a decent school. Cheers

Bob

• Barbara August 10, 2012, 9:34 pm | Link

Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide all have Spreets, Groupons, Cudo etc does Darwin & Cairns have anything similar?

• BobinOz August 13, 2012, 12:26 am | Link

Groupon have both Darwin and Cairns in their city selections, just check their drop-down menu.

• sagar shrestha December 15, 2011, 3:09 am | Link

hey bob,
    i read categories of yours and i find that u could be a very helpin hand for me too
    so , i wanted to know for now or in the future which place will be better to live in australia