Living in Australia

Thinking about moving to Australia?

Which City?

Choosing where you want to live in Australia is not straightforward. Australia is a big place, as if you didn’t know. Australia has big cities, it has small towns. It has beautiful beaches and it has barren outback. Australia also has a good selection of islands.

Australia’s major cities

Here’s a roundup, which includes annual weather charts and more, for each of the following cities. Please click on any of the links below to read more:

Want to live outside of the capital cities?

You will find information on many of the smaller towns in our states and territories on the following pages:

Where are you going to live?

You can click on the links above to find out more about Australia’s Cities and Australian States. But for a quick roundup of the major cities and help with choosing a suburb, check out:

It is not so much the content on my pages that will help you decide where to live in Australia, but the hundreds of comments that have been added by those who do live here. Do be sure to join in on the conversation wherever you can.

More useful links:

I do hope the information I have here helps you; good luck with your search.

• Promise Ezenwa February 21, 2016, 7:28 am | Link

Dear Bob, am planning to move to au. am a basketballer hope it will be easy for to get a nice club to join over there.

• BobinOz February 22, 2016, 6:30 pm | Link

Well we do have basketball clubs here, so you’ve got a chance. Good luck, Bob

• Stella February 5, 2016, 4:54 am | Link

I will be going to Aus for working holiday later this year but haven’t decided which city to go to, this website is just what I needed! I’m so glad I found this! Thanks a lot 😀

• viviana January 30, 2016, 4:59 am | Link

I’m Viviana. I was doing my research to find out about Australia and I found your excellent web page. Thanks for the info. I currently live in the northern part of Argentina and I have been thinking of moving to Australia for a long time now. I am an English Certified Translator. My aunt lives in Bowraville. Since I’d like to move in with her I’d like to ask for your opinion about the city in terms of job opportunities for me and lifestyle if you are so kind, I’d really appreciate it.

• BobinOz January 31, 2016, 9:03 pm | Link

Thanks Viviana, glad to hear you have been enjoying my website.

Bowraville isn’t a city, it is very much a small town. It’s in a pretty good location, inland a bit, but not far from the beach. I’ve never been to Bowraville, so I can’t really comment on the job opportunities, but I’d be really shocked if there was much going on, certainly in your line of work.

You may need to travel a bit to find work, maybe even as far as Port Macquarie, and that would be quite a drive. I suggest you check out my page called Getting a Job or a Sponsorship to have a search to see what opportunities there are in the area.

• Viviana February 2, 2016, 8:00 am | Link

Thanks a lot for your answer and your recommendations. I will keep those in mind. Best regards.

• subash thapa January 26, 2016, 4:08 pm | Link

hi bob

i am subash from Nepal. i want spend time in Australia any city.But i am soundless.i have no way & idea for to go Australia.i need idea & help of your.i am so much bothering from this matter. i would if you share any tips that supports to me.

• BobinOz January 27, 2016, 3:55 pm | Link

All the information you need is on this website, I have thousands of tips for you here.

• Samantha January 26, 2016, 8:54 am | Link

I am a student in the x-ray technician program(medical imaging). I am currently in my last year undergoing placement. I am graduation next January and am very interested in moving to Australia, from Canada within the year. Could you, or anyone suggest places to live? I am also curious whether there is a better way to look for jobs or simply to know if there is a demand. Is it common for Australian hospitals/clinics to hire Canadians?

Sam

• Sean January 9, 2016, 5:24 am | Link

Hi, so we’ve spent the last year researching, visiting, sitting tests, more researching, submitting paper work and dreaming of our move to Queensland later on this year, only to be told today that my wife’s profession (nurse) has been removed from the state nomination list for Queensland!!! We can however go to NSW or South Australia, but I’m all researched out. I have never been worried about us finding jobs, as nurses are needed everywhere and I’m a Maintenance Engineer/Manager so can adapt to different roles. I have friends that live in both areas, but could anyone recommend somewhere suitable? We do fancy living near to the coast and my 16 year old daughter is sport made and plans to peruse it as a career so that is important as well,
    I hope someone can help us narrow down where to start looking.
    Many thanks.

• BobinOz January 11, 2016, 6:02 pm | Link

At the moment, the jobs situation is South Australia is not good. So if you’re choosing between the two, NSW will probably be your best bet. Sydney is expensive though, so maybe look elsewhere, perhaps Newcastle? I’ve heard good things about that city.

Bottom line though, I’d go where you think the most work is, and you can research that on my page called Getting a Job or a Sponsorship.

Allan
    Hi bob I was born in oz but have lived in England much off my life, I have Australian pass port and would love to live there. My wife is English and thinks the same as me. I am getting no younger and at 57 would like to know where you think I stand as for work and where to live out there. My line off work is rigger/erector fitter off machinery do you think I would have a chance out there

• iris January 3, 2016, 5:50 am | Link

hey bob, i have been pondering moving to australia for the longgest time now, i am a mother of 2 small children moving to oz…i am so puzzled as where to move, i need a place that has tropical weather all year round due to my health i have severe asmah, and i need a place that is family oriented, close to good schools, shopping centers and hospitals, i also need a place that will give my family good fun factor, so close to beaches and fun places to spend family time, i was sure melborne was the place, but from what i read weather is unpredictable i cannot have that, so i thought brisbane but it seems too big city for me, like you said mostly young people live there, i need a more family oriented place, so i searched all the cities and could not devide due to those problems, the weather can never be dry for me, the schools need to be close by and good, all around since my kids are small and i want to move to stay for good…so can you help?

• Julio Sanchez January 3, 2016, 6:53 pm | Link

Hi Iris, sounds like you are describing heaven; warm and sunny all the time without being bothered by rain. However, if Brisbane is too big then Melbourne is far too big since it is more than double the population of Brisbane. I have no statistics, but I have spent a fair amount of time in Brisbane and don’t think it is primarily made up of young people. It seems to have a fair mix of ages like all the cities.

If you want tropical weather all the time, you have three states to choose from. You can go to Queensland, Western Australia, or the Northern Territory. Coastal northern New South Wales is also mostly warm through winter.

I’m not sure there is anywhere in Australia that is tropical and always dry. Adelaide is the driest capital city, but it gets a bit cool and wet in winter and certainly could not be described as tropical in June, July, and August. It does have lovely beaches though and might suit most of the months of the years.

Brisbane gets a lot of sunshine, but is not on the coast, though excellent beaches can be found a hour north or south of the city. Areas north of Brisbane like the Sunshine Coast are sub-tropical, but can get a fair amount of rain, though the vast majority of days are bright and sunny. The Sunshine Coast has plenty of good beaches and inland a short distance the hinterland is full of national parks for camping, fishing, and hiking.

Going farther north in Queensland brings even warmer winters so that Mackay, Townsville, and Cairns are options; however they are not dry through summer and can be subject to cyclones.

You may find Perth to your suiting. It is a good sized city with beaches, but it is a long way from the rest of Australia which may or may not be of concern for you. Perth has dry summers and wet winters.

Do a bit of research, this is a vast land with something for almost every taste. There are even smaller or regional cities that might suit and are less expensive like Newcastle or even Toowoomba. They aren’t tropical for 12 months, but are warm by the standards of North America or most of Europe with winter temperatures in the mid teens.

• BobinOz January 4, 2016, 10:28 pm | Link

Hi Julio and Iris

Julio, you have given a very comprehensive and excellent reply to Iris, except for one thing, I think you have misread it slightly, Iris actually said “the weather can never be dry for me”. But that’s good news for Iris, because the further north she gets the warmer it gets and the wetter it gets. Personally, I think Brisbane would be ideal, I’m not sure where I have said it’s full of young people, I think certain parts of Brisbane are excellent for bringing up families.

The downside of Brisbane of course is that there is no beach as such. On that basis, Iris you might want to head to the Sunshine Coast, I would choose Mooloolaba or Maroochydore, very nice up there. Or a little further north along the coast of Queensland, maybe Hervey Bay or somewhere a bit further north. Plenty of small towns to choose from, but I don’t know what the schools would be like. Don’t go too far north, too many jellyfish in the sea and in the far north, crocodiles. If you can put up with an hour or so drive to the beach, Brisbane would be a good choice.

• Iris January 4, 2016, 10:47 pm | Link

OMG you guys are awsome….i have been doing lots of research…and i am coming to the conclusion brisbane seems to be the best option for me…the only downside being living price seems to be higher than sunshine or gold coast…but i heard it is harder to find jobs in sunshine coast…i am still working on weather the gold coast is better sutted for me or brisbane but it seems it will be one of these two since perth is far away from the rest of australia and all the other options seem not fit in the weather for my health…a tropical weather is ideal for me not too dry and not too wet…here in brazil in my hometown it rains but it still stays warm…tempeture never alters too much it always stays around 20c-38c…so that is basicly what i am looking for…i accually want to avoid living too close to the beach due to prices and cyclones…so brisbane seems more and more likely to be my forever home lol…thanks for all ur help.

• BobinOz January 5, 2016, 8:57 pm | Link

The weather here in Brisbane would be just perfect for you, it’s pretty much exactly the same as the weather in your hometown. You are right, jobs are hard to find on the Sunshine Coast, but I think you’ll find the Gold Coast is just as expensive as Brisbane, and housing costs down that way I think are actually higher.

I’d stick with Brisbane if I were you, good luck, Bob

• Molly Aronsson December 30, 2015, 3:26 am | Link

Hi Bob! My girlfriend and I are moving to Australia for 6 months to one year starting in January. We would like to be near a city, near lots of cafes and local restaurants, near the water if possible, and near the action. I’m a professional golfer and want to train at a course nearby (I’m pretty sure I’ll need to buy a car). My girlfriend wants to work at a small cafe or restaurant. We are thinking about Melbourne, Sydney and Gold Coast. Any recommendations? We are not on a tight budget but certainly have limitations.

• BobinOz December 30, 2015, 11:07 pm | Link

Just my opinion, but I don’t think there will be enough action on the Gold Coast for you. So you have a straight choice between Sydney and Melbourne, and there’s not much to choose between the two. I’d have a quick read of my page A Quick Guide to Choosing a City in Australia, that may help, then is down to your personal preference.

Sydney would have the better climate, in other words beach weather, and probably slightly more action. Good luck whichever city you choose in the end.

• Charles December 27, 2015, 8:11 pm | Link

Simo. Bob, Iam a KENYAN currently interested to migrate to Australia through ics agent i havey worked i a hotel for over 5years also Interested to pursue a phd can you advice in available scholarships. Regards Charles Juma.

• BobinOz December 30, 2015, 9:19 pm | Link

Sorry, I can’t help anybody with scholarships. Good luck though, Bob

• Harshad December 20, 2015, 4:57 pm | Link

I am planning to move to Australia in few months.
    I want to know which city is the best to live and work?

I would be looking for a job in Automobile New Car dealerships like Toyota, Mazda, Hyundai, Volkwagen, Mecedes.
    So in which city can I get the best showrooms/ dealerships to work in Australia…

Secondly I would prefer cold climate and a good city where lifestyle is good and entertainment is great.
    Please suggest..
    Thank You.

• BobinOz December 22, 2015, 9:31 pm | Link

I have no idea which city would be best if you want to work in a new car dealership, but I do know that Australia isn’t the best destination if you’re looking for a cold climate. Best choice for that one though would clearly be Tasmania with second choice Canberra.

• Harshad December 23, 2015, 2:17 pm | Link

Hey thanx for responding.
        But pls tell me which city of Australia has maximum number of New Car Dealerships? And which city or state of Australia has maximum cars ???
        So that I will get an idea and will try to get in there

• BobinOz December 24, 2015, 3:01 am | Link

Sydney. NSW.

• Harshad December 24, 2015, 1:34 pm | Link

Thank u so much Bob.
            Would u please help me out with some good options of recruitment consultancies ? Who will surely help me getting a job in Automobile…

• Andrey December 28, 2015, 11:16 am | Link

Hi bob I’m a swede planning to move to Australia within couple of years? Is Australia in need of psychiatrists? What city is in most need or have a lot of job opportunities in psychiatry?

• juliette December 17, 2015, 2:05 pm | Link

Hello Bob!!

I just arrived in Australia, in preth at the moment. I have a aworking holiday visa.
    I v chosen Perth first because i’m not so much a big city lover. I seek for jungles, sea, rivers, forest…. bit of desert why not… I am trying to get a job in a national park or zoo, ( i am also an animal lover, specially dogs, have worked in quite few shelters and rescued many street dogs). So i am in Perth, nice small center city. But i would prefer find a job in a village or small town. I also prefer hot than cold climat. I was thinking about Darwin, which seems vert tropical. Basically i would like to have a life style in or near a small city wich provides necessery things, get my job there i plan to buy a scooter, and i would like to live in a cabin, hut or small cottage near river or forest. ( or in a different accomodation if all the rest of my wishes are there ) Do you think this kind of plan is doable? and WHERE in australia?! by advance thanks for answering me . I have 3 hotel nights left and then i will have to choose to get into a condo or to move to an other part of australia… Basically i would like to be in a city or small villlage which offers job near the jungle. ^^

• BobinOz December 17, 2015, 8:41 pm | Link

Well, we don’t really have a jungle, we have the outback. Darwin could be the place for you, but it’s not our cheapest city when it comes to accommodation. It does have a quite tropical climate though, so you may just love it.

I’m not sure exactly where to suggest you go, but I would say that in my view you should find the work first, or at least identify the location where you might more easily find the kind of work you want and then look for accommodation.

We’ve got plenty of rivers, I’m sure we have plenty of cabins and small cottages and we have a never ending outback. Somewhere has your name on it 🙂

Do read this though, just so that you know…

• juliette December 18, 2015, 1:11 am | Link

Thanks a lot Bob 🙂 i was also thinking about Darwin. I love croco too. 😉 thanks again

• Chris December 14, 2015, 4:25 am | Link

Hello would love to know how to get work in Austraila and see if it’s great place to live for my family and I, also I’ve checked out Perth on the internet looks nice but have no idea where to start looking

• Wendy November 10, 2015, 12:13 pm | Link

We want to go to stay in Australia from Dec 2016 to Apr 2017. The first month we will stay with our daughter in Marinbula. After she will be going back to Canada. We want to stay another four months.
    Our wish is to be near a Mormon Temple, (there are four) near beautiful beach, and not too expensive. We are hoping a furnished basement suite or an apartment. Could you give us some clear ideas of which city falls into that category. As for transportation what would you suggest, to rent a car or buy a junker.
    Thank you for your attention. We are poor retirees but love to travel

• BobinOz November 26, 2015, 9:43 pm | Link

Sorry Wendy, but I have no idea where any Mormon temples are in Australia, so I can’t help with this at all. Four months is a long time to rent a car, so probably would be best to buy an old banger, but only if you know what you are doing.

Remember the downside of this is that you will need to sell the car before you leave here so you won’t have the luxury of waiting for a decent offer. Good luck though, Bob

• Isabelle November 10, 2015, 1:10 am | Link

Hello Bob, thank you so much for your website, it is so helpful!

Like Sharif, I work in the IT field. I am looking for a relatively big city with IT job opportunities, but not so big that houses are inabordable… A city fit for a young family.

I will keep on reading and googling, maybe I will find just what I am looking for… But if you could point out which Australian cities offer great IT opportunities, that would be amazing!

• BobinOz November 26, 2015, 9:26 pm | Link

Please use the same link I recommended to Sharif.

• Sharif November 8, 2015, 6:13 am | Link

You are really doing a great job. Tons of useful information.
    Would you please guide which city would be best to live for an IT related person (Software Engineer). May be with high salaries with less living expenses. Near beach and a lot of excitement.

• BobinOz November 23, 2015, 7:25 pm | Link

I give some guidance on answering this question on my page called Getting a Job or a Sponsorship. Just a warning though, the combination you require, high salaries, low living expenses, near the beach and excitement, do not equate.

Everything you want indicates high living expenses. You may need to rethink.

• ruth October 26, 2015, 5:43 pm | Link

Hey Bob, I am planning to come do nursing in Townsville but I would like to know more about the area. When u say remote, does it affect the cost of living ie does it make income lesser

• BobinOz October 27, 2015, 9:36 pm | Link

Hi Ruth

Well, I’ve not yet been to Townsville, so I to be guessing really. So here goes. I would imagine incomes are a little lower but also that the cost of living is a little lower, but you’d be better off asking this question on my page about Queensland and hopefully somebody who knows the area will be able to give you a better answer.

• Mandy October 14, 2015, 1:22 am | Link

Hi ! I’m looking at moving to australia beginning of next year. Been offered a place to study in perth, brisbane, god coast, sydney, melbourne, tasmania, armidale and canberra. Which are so many to choose from ! i really want to be in a more outdoors environment. I love the beach, hiking, mountains, nature, parks, lakes, NOT at all into shopping malls, don’t mind the art galleries and cafes..Really LOVE being around people and community. So i would love a more family community..which among the above would you suggest or comes to mind when you think of a more outdoors family like culture ??
    Thank you !!

• BobinOz October 14, 2015, 11:18 pm | Link

Lots of choice Mandy, please be sure to check out my page called A Quick Guide to Choosing a City in Australia to look at my quick roundup of some of these places.

For additional information, Perth is as flat as a pancake so no mountains, but you won’t be short of beaches or family community over that way. Brisbane doesn’t really have beaches, but the Gold Coast does and both have hiking and mountains. Tasmania is as beautiful and close to nature as you can get with water not just surrounding it, but everywhere with lakes and rivers as well. If you’re coming for hot weather though, it might not be your choice.

Sydney and Melbourne are our biggest cities as you know, and they probably have everything including the shopping malls you don’t want. I don’t know enough about Armidale or Canberra to comment. Hope that helps, good luck, Bob

• Charles ezedialu October 12, 2015, 7:50 pm | Link

Hello Bob, m a Nigerian ,I gat an invitation from a friend of mine In Australia ,orange city precisely buh m jx thinking if I could get a job nd at dsame study alxo over there! Xo, my question is, do you think orange city is a nice place to be nd probably thinking hw the rate of racism looks like! ……lookin up for yur reply bro! Tnx 🙂

• BobinOz October 13, 2015, 9:07 pm | Link

I’ve never been to Orange so I couldn’t tell you what it’s like, but I can tell you that an invite from a friend is not enough to get you pass customs. What you actually need is a visa issued by the Australian government.

• Nicky October 7, 2015, 5:55 am | Link

We are applying for a state sponsor skilled visa to South Australia – EOI is being submitted by our agent. My husband is a plumber and we have 2 children aged 15 and 10. Where would be the best job opportunities? We were thinking around Adelaide area.
    Thanks Nicky

• Deyaana September 24, 2015, 3:56 am | Link

Hi!!
    While i will in Australia may be aftar 2 months or three months i am not sure about this now i am studant of matric class i am studying in urdu school but it is English medium. Now i am thinking when i came there my qualifications is fine or no? And i have been finished my English language center one year before. Is it important that I should bring my diploma and school cartrifcite in Australia? And i want your suggestion when i came there I should join there English class or no? Directly I should join university to become more qualified.

• BobinOz September 24, 2015, 7:33 pm | Link

I am more confused about this than you are Deyaana I can assure you. I simply have no idea whatsoever. Good luck though, Bob

• Steve F September 22, 2015, 12:08 am | Link

What cities in Australia have been hurt the least by the current economic problems? Are there any major cities that seem to be weathering the storm better than others? I have heard that Adelaide (and all of S. Australia) have been hurt badly – there are very few jobs available. How about Brisbane, Sydney, Perth and Melbourne?

• Owen September 20, 2015, 10:09 am | Link

Hello, I’m only 16 and currently a student at college. After college I’m thinking of going to university to get some good qualifications to help my future, and it’s always been my dream to move to Australia. This probably sounds stupid coming from someone so young but an older friend moved there and I was wondering what is the best city for job opportunities and accommodation, just to help me think about my future.

Thanks 🙂

• BobinOz September 21, 2015, 1:43 pm | Link

No Owen, it’s not stupid to plan in advance. That said, the job market in Australia, same as anywhere, is a moving target. The cities with the most opportunities now may well not be the cities with the most opportunities when you are ready to come here.

It also largely depends what your skills are as to where to head to, but you can research it all using the links on my page called Getting a Job or a Sponsorship.

Good luck with your plans, Bob

• Arun September 13, 2015, 1:24 pm | Link

How r u?I have a Q in mind which is related to masses not a single person.I have regional sponsored visa by Qld govt.I have moved to Oz in Feb, stayed there for 2 months. But, could not find a full-time job.So, returned back to my home country,india.I have seen lots of Asians(highly educated) working in restaurants and cleaning services.I have seen engineers cleaning floors in Coles.I myself got a part time dish washing job in sunshine coast.I am production manager here in India.I have observed that there is not much manufacturing units in Qld.My Q,s are:
    1) Qld govt state sponsored a production manager in manufacturing while there is not much manufacturing in Qld.What may be reason for that?
    2)Highly educated Asians are doing jobs which are not related to their highly respected degrees. Don’t you think these Asian nationals are wasting their talent and knowledge? For example , an engineer is washing dishes in Oz, but otherwise he may have work in a good MNC as an engineer in India and serve his country.

I am waiting for your candid opinion. I hope you may prove me wrong.

Thanks.
    Have a nice day.

• BobinOz September 15, 2015, 12:21 am | Link

This question would have been better asked on a more relevant page, this particular page is about choosing a place to live in Australia. I’ve got many pages about working in Australia, including my page about Getting a Job or a Sponsorship.

I have answered this question before elsewhere, but I’ll give you a quick answer here now. The skills lists are often out of date with what is currently happening, from what I’ve heard. So that is part of the problem.

These aren’t the best of times either, I mention that on this post…

So it’s not just Asians and Indians who now taking up jobs for which they are overqualified, others are as well, including Australians.

There are no guarantees of jobs when you get here, many people get very good jobs and many people don’t. Same as if you moved to any other country and also the same as if you stay in your country of origin.

Hope that answer your question, cheers, Bob

• Jessica September 10, 2015, 2:45 am | Link

my name is Jessica and my family and I are currently living in South Africa. We’ve been planning to move to Aussie for a while now, and my dad has managed to get two job offers, one in Perth and one in Townsville.
    Now we have no idea which would be a better choice for our family, and our attitude is that if and when we move, we’re not coming back unless we still want to when us kids are adults.
    We know that in Townsville we would have a better chance of living out in the country but within reach of the city, which is what we’re accustomed to, but we feel that it’s almost too small and isolated (we live near Pretoria, a big and busy city).
    Could you help us make a slightly more informed decision?

• BobinOz September 10, 2015, 3:49 pm | Link

Perth is a bit isolated, Townsville is a bit remote. If you want city, go Perth, if you want to live in the country, go Townsville. Have a look at my pages about Perth and Queensland and have a read of the comments, it may help you decide.

• Kholoud September 6, 2015, 8:18 pm | Link

Hi BobinOZ,

I kept on reading through your website until now. Your blog is really helpful.
    My paper is on process for state sponsorship in NSW but it’s going to be 1 year now since I applied. I am planning to take again the IELTS to get all 7 in each band so I can apply for skilled independent visa.

I do not know if you have any idea about my question but anyways I will still ask you, maybe you can answer me. I wanna know in which cities in OZ we can find islamic communities and masjids?

• BobinOz September 7, 2015, 11:20 am | Link

Thanks, glad you have been some help.

We will have many Islamic communities here in Australia, certainly in Sydney, and probably in a few of the other state capitals. It’s not a question I can answer fully for you though, so hopefully someone who does know more about this will help you out here.

Anybody know about this?

• Izawani Domo November 12, 2015, 11:32 am | Link

I might be able to help a little Kholoud’s enquiry on Islamic communities and masjids in Australia. The largest muslim community would be in New South Wales (Sydney). There are many mosques and musallahs in Sydney including Sydney CBD. Areas with large muslim communities include (Lakemba, Punchbowl, Bankstown, Dee Why, Wiley Park, Arncliffe, Canterbury and even in Parramatta area). Finding masjids in Australia will not be a problem whichever city you go to (Sydney, Canberra, Perth, Melbourne and Brisbane). Halal food is everywhere in Australia. Hope it helps.

• Shaun September 1, 2015, 9:53 am | Link

I know you’re a mad Brisbane fan, so hopefully you can answer my question.

We live in Sydney but are looking to do a ‘tree change’ to a more rural area.

I’m thinking the Brisbane area would be good. We’d be after somewhere rural with a few acres and beautiful views. Somewhere near a nice town and community would be ideal.

I don’t know the Brisbane area at all so hopefully you can suggest some places to start looking.

Great site by the way.

• BobinOz September 1, 2015, 5:03 pm | Link

Have a look at Samford, let me know what you think.

• Sharon Coles October 26, 2015, 5:45 pm | Link

Just in answer to Shaun’s question, I am an Australian woman from Brisbane currently living in France. Samford is beautiful as are the hinterlands of the Gold Coast (Mt Tamborine, Tallebudgera Valley) and the Sunshine Coast (Maleny, Montville). Also around Mt Mee, Mt Nebo and if you want to be closer to Brisbane then Brookfield and Pullenvale are really lovely. Just in my humble opinion anyway. You’re spoilt for choice really but each place has its own flavour. I lived in Mt Tamborine for a couple of years though work is thin on the ground and had to make the arduous journey every day to the Gold Coast. So whilst it is physically stunning, with a beautiful community, great gardening, superb views etc, if you can’t work up on the mountain it can be hard going. Hope this helps.

• Andrew September 1, 2015, 8:49 am | Link

Hello, i want to join the conversation if i may 😀

I want to apply for a student visa which (they say) will allow me to work there, so i’m going to study for a while over there.
    Honestly I want to make a new life there, but i know just a few things about Oz.

So i was wondering if you and you guys could answer some questions i have…

-what are the most common jobs in Oz?

-is it true that there is a racism fever (had to ask, just heard a rumour)

-how does the healthcare work? is it expensive to get sick in Australia? :/ even with a health insurance?

-Is it hard to study and work at the same time over there?

-is the vibe friendly in general?

-would you trust in Oz’s government and police force in general?

-Is the internet speed slow as they say?

-what about taxes? are taxes fair?

-is it very expensive to live in Au?

-Are tattoos a problem for working/studying?

Thank you for your time, sorry for the long post.

• BobinOz September 1, 2015, 4:51 pm | Link

I have just one question for you. Have you read any of the pages on this website?

I have covered every topic you mention in great detail, it’s all here amongst the 1000+ pages. Use the Google search box towards the top right hand side of every page to help you find what you’re looking for.

• Andrew September 2, 2015, 4:46 am | Link

Well yes, but i think i have not searched enough.
        sorry for bothering, have a nice day.

• Andrew September 2, 2015, 4:50 am | Link

As i am not familiarized with the website i think I was not able to find the resources. Not needed to be rude, tho.
        I’ll make a better search.
        Thanks, cheers.

• BobinOz September 2, 2015, 3:21 pm | Link

I wasn’t being rude Andrew, I can’t see anything in my answer that could be considered so.

• Vanessa September 1, 2015, 2:44 am | Link

Hi Bob! I live in Germany and i want to do a student exchange year (i’m 16) in australia. I had gold coast in my mind, but my dad has a friend there and said its dangerous and touristy so i’m now heading towards sunshine coast. ive been offered a school in mountain creek, coolum and caloundra. and one at birbie island. i dont know if you know these places but if you do, which of these places have good beaches and is a nice place to live? greetings, vanessa
    ps: sorry for my english and thanks if you answer!

• BobinOz September 1, 2015, 3:51 pm | Link

Mountain Creek, definitely. Nice area, very safe, great beaches nearby. Good for you and your dad 🙂

• Vanessa September 1, 2015, 9:51 pm | Link

Ok, thank you!! Looking forward to study there!! 🙂

• Tanner August 17, 2015, 11:11 am | Link

Hey I’m am thinking about going to college in australia, but I was wondering do college kids like to party there and if so what r the top party schools in austarlia ?

• BobinOz August 17, 2015, 8:34 pm | Link

Yes, of course our college kids like to party, I couldn’t tell you which school is the King of partying in Australia though. Have a word with Google 🙂

• Francisco August 16, 2015, 7:28 am | Link

Hi people, im From Argentina, and im planning to move to Australia, also im looking for a change of life ,i have job Here,and my own company here, what city you recomend ?

• BobinOz August 16, 2015, 8:15 pm | Link

Nobody can recommend a city to you based on the information you have provided here, it’s impossible. Please take the time to check out all the links and information you can read above and try and decide for yourself what kind of city would suit you most. Good luck, Bob

• Suvansh seth August 12, 2015, 12:52 am | Link

Hi bobinoz, thanks for such an informational post.
    I am planning to do my masters in Australia and settle down later on, i have a fixed budget. please let me know which city should I chose.

• BobinOz August 13, 2015, 4:04 pm | Link

I can’t choose for you, everybody has different personal preferences. Please use the links you will find on this page to help you decide. I provide lots of information about the different cities and the comments are well worth a read. Good luck, Bob

• Florephine August 3, 2015, 3:00 pm | Link

Hi Bob and all,

I find your site very educating regarding australia. We are family from Singapore with 3 kids (7,6 and 1 year old). Me and my husband are in our mid 30’s and are both engineers by profession, my husband is civil engineer in profession and myself is a materials science engineer but practice in quality control and assurance. Do you have any advice which city is the best for us as we are both engineers so we prefer to be in a city where we can find engineering jobs and at the same time can raise our three children? We wanted a place which is nearby to city but at the sametime near to the nature where we can always go out cycling and swimming and not so hot like singapore? Thank you and hoping for your response? We are planning to come and visit Au by november this year. Actually what I have in mind is Queensland and Brisbane cause most of my friends are in Brisbane.

Thanks a lot! Cheers!

• BobinOz August 4, 2015, 4:10 pm | Link

Brisbane would be a very good choice, I love it here. I can’t help you with where to go for the best job opportunities though, other than refer you to my page called Getting a Job or a Sponsorship which does offer some advice on that.

If you have friends here in Brisbane and it looks like you can secure work for yourselves, it would be the natural choice. Good luck, Bob

• jimmy August 3, 2015, 11:09 am | Link

Hi Guys,
    I am sick of sydney want to move some good place with my family including 3 year boy and 1 year girl, any suggestion ?

• BobinOz August 3, 2015, 11:46 pm | Link

Brisbane. Great for families and especially for kids, open spaces, laid-back, great weather and very reasonable house prices.

• Youssef August 1, 2015, 6:44 am | Link

Dear Bob,

I’m a 21 year old guy from Lebanon. I’m extremely tired of my country, not happy here at all. Corrupt leaders, bad economy, death, super unfair police, basically everything is bad here. I want to live in a country that I can wake up at with a smile on my face. I feel like Australia can be that country but the thing is I’m young and inexperienced with traveling. So can you give me advice on which is the most affordable city to live in? And let’s say I wanted to go to Australia, would I be able to find a job easily to work? I’m majoring in Marketing and I’ve got exactly 1 year left to finish. I’m asking you cause you have way more knowledge about Australia, even though I did a lot of research but I’d rather take the word from someone that lives there.

Thank you for your time!

• BobinOz August 2, 2015, 7:59 pm | Link

I think you need to spend some time reading the pages I have here on this website, I talk about the various cities in which to live, getting a job, and most of all, getting a visa. You will need a visa to come to Australia.

Please take some time to read the information I have provided, many thanks, Bob

• Mike and Louise July 15, 2015, 12:28 am | Link

just after a bit of advice please. My family and I are wanting to move to Australia I am 39 my wife is 35 and two kids 7 + 6. I am a fully qualified plumber/pipefinter with 23 years experience. We are looking into cairns as an area of interest do you know what the employment prospects are in that area? Thanks mike

• Jeffrey July 12, 2015, 9:56 pm | Link

there is job offer in Toscana and Hayman Island. Im a city person so Im concern about Hayman, but I think in Australia you will become permanent resident after 2 yrs? I cant decide if Italy or Australia.

• BobinOz July 13, 2015, 8:14 pm | Link

You should talk to a MARA migration agent about your situation in respect of PR, each visa works differently and permanent residency isn’t always guaranteed. Good luck, where ever you decide to go.

• Jeffrey July 12, 2015, 9:51 pm | Link

Im thinking that maybe I will be permanent resident after 2 yrs, but that’s the only thing, nothing much around and in mainland.

• Jeffrey July 12, 2015, 6:02 pm | Link

How about in an island? Hayman Island? What is the day to day life? Is it boring and no city life in mainland close to Hayman?

• BobinOz July 12, 2015, 9:36 pm | Link

Ha ha, well, day-to-day expect to see plenty of golden sand, sunshine, ocean some (probably expensive) bars and restaurants, but not many. Think Paradise Island. 🙂

And yes, I’m pretty sure it would get boring, it is, after all, a holiday island.

• Niroula July 7, 2015, 7:01 pm | Link

Can Wollongong be a good choice in terms of study and work for a couple?

• Paul July 4, 2015, 7:04 pm | Link

Im not sure which suburb to choice a friend and a relation moving to rochedale

I love golfing and indoor bias bowls and outdoor bias bowls and shopping and beach

cleveland, qld 4163; rochedale, qld 4123; rochedale south, qld 4123; underwood, qld 4119; springwood, qld 4127; slacks creek, qld 4127; daisy hill, qld 4127; logan central, qld 4114; sunnybank hills, qld 4109; sunnybank, qld 4109; nathan, qld 4111; macgregor, qld 4109; robertson, qld 4109; woolloongabba, qld 4102; kangaroo point, qld 4169; east brisbane, qld 4169; camp hill, qld 4152; coorparoo, qld 4151; greenslopes, qld 4120; norman park, qld 4170; seven hills, qld 4170; carina heights, qld 4152; cannon hill, qld 4170; holland park, qld 4121; annerley, qld 4103; yeronga, qld 4104; tarragindi, qld 4121; morningside, qld 4170; tingalpa, qld 4173; yatala, qld 4207; murarrie, qld 4172; mount gravatt east, qld 4122; upper mount gravatt, qld 4122; wishart, qld 4122; mansfield, qld 4122; belmont, qld 4153; chandler, qld 4155; wakerley, qld 4154; capalaba, qld 4157; mackenzie, qld 4156; eight mile plains, qld 4113; burbank, qld 4156; sheldon, qld 4157; karawatha, qld 4117; meadowbrook, qld 4131; woodridge, qld 4114; berrinba, qld 4117; loganlea, qld 4131; thornlands, qld 4164; redland bay, qld 4165; redland city region, qld; victoria point, qld 4165; mount cotton, qld 4165; carbrook, qld 4130; shailer park, qld 4128; woongoolba, qld 4207; alberton, qld 4207; edens landing, qld 4207; beenleigh, qld 4207; bethania, qld 4205; eagleby, qld 4207; mount warren park, qld 4207; stapylton, qld 4207; gilberton, qld 4208; crestmead, qld 4132; heritage park, qld 4118; drewvale, qld 4116; park ridge, qld 4125; park ridge south, qld 4125; manly west, qld 4179; manly, qld 4179; thorneside, qld 4158; birkdale, qld 4159; wellington point, qld 4160; ormiston, qld 4160; alexandra hills, qld 4161; priestdale, qld 4127; cornubia, qld 4130

• Jake Burg June 30, 2015, 5:17 am | Link

Hi I’m 23 and live in the U.S. I’ve lived in small towns all my life with not the friendliest of people (Dyersburg, TN) There’s nothing to do, nothing to see, and people always changing for the worst. I’ve always been told growing up that you should never leave home. “A place is only as good as the people you know in it.” is one of my favorite quotes. But, through recent years, I’ve seen more and more friends go bad or found out that they were never good to begin with. It’s like this town has sheltered me into believing that there’s nothing better out there and to follow the same routine as everyone else; well not anymore! I want to live somewhere with mountains, oceans, woods, FRIENDLY PEOPLE, good school systems, fun jobs with great pay. I’m now moving out of this town to see the places like this in the U.S. (And why stop there?) What do y’all recommend for Australia for what I’m looking for? (And sorry for babbling for the first part of this paragraph. I just wanted y’all to know where I’m getting at ;D)

• BobinOz June 30, 2015, 6:17 pm | Link

Well, we certainly have plenty of ocean Jake. We’ve got everything else you’re looking for as well, have a look at my page A Quick Guide to Choosing a City in Australia and also have a look at the advice I’ve given in the comment above to Michael, it applies to you as well.

Before you get too excited though, you will need to apply for and be granted a visa to be able to come here and live and work, so you’ll need to look into that as well. See my page called Visas.

Good luck in your venture, Bob

• Michael Lembeck June 30, 2015, 4:07 am | Link

I live in the USA and would like to move to Australia. My wife and I have seven children ages 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 15, and 17. We would like to move to an area welcoming to a family our size. Here in the U.S. we live in an urban almost rural area in New Jersey. I have worked for Caterpillar Machinery Company for nineteen years and would be looking to work for a CAT dealer in Australia. My family lives a simple life style in comparison to most in our setting. We just want to live a modest life and raise up our children properly.

• BobinOz June 30, 2015, 6:10 pm | Link

Australia is a big place, we also have thousands of rural communities, it would be impossible to pick one out that would be just ideal for you. I suggest you go where you can get work, you have a lot of mouths to feed 🙂

If you have a look at my state pages, you’ll find them under the main navigation menu above where it says ‘Australian States’ you will see lists of all of these smaller towns with a population greater than 10,000, we have a shed load more with populations less than 10,000.

Have a read of the comments, people are talking about different places in these areas, it might help you. Wherever you go though, I’m sure you and all of your family will be made most welcome.

• Tushar June 26, 2015, 5:37 am | Link

Dear Bob,
    Myself Tushar,I m an Indian seafarer, looking forward to migrate in Australia, as I have gone through the skilled occupation list from Australian Immigration Department, ship officers are required in oz.I have a fiance who is a MBA in HR,she will also come along.Kindly suggest me a good place to live considering my profession. I want to utilize my marine field and live a peaceful life with my fiance.

Awaiting ur good response.

• BobinOz June 26, 2015, 8:17 pm | Link

All places are good places to live in Australia, it really depends what you want personally. Check out my page called A Quick Guide to Choosing a City in Australia and see what takes your fancy.

• Rahul December 17, 2015, 11:23 pm | Link

Hi Tushar
      I am chief officer. I am also planning to immigrate. Can you pls share your mobile so that we can talk.
      Rgds
      Rahul

• yami June 20, 2015, 12:35 pm | Link

Hi, I’m 20 from Argentina and next year i’m going to Australia on a working holiday program. I want to go to the Gold Coast but i’m not sure where in the Gold Coast. Surfers Paradise is only fun in the summer or always? I’m a student, I like to party and going to the beach. I also hate the winter so I would love a place where it’s always summer. Where do you think I should go?

• BobinOz June 23, 2015, 12:16 am | Link

Sounds like the Gold Coast will be ideal for you, it’s not a big area, just go where you can afford accommodation. Surfers Paradise is the centre of it all, it’s where there is the most nightlife, so just get as close to that as you can. And yes, it is pretty much always summer on the Goldie 🙂

• yami June 23, 2015, 2:30 pm | Link

Thanks! I’ve heard the Gold Coast doesn’t have much class. Is that true? I mean, I don’t want it to be like Geordie Shore in Newcastle in England (I’ve only seen the show though).

• BobinOz June 23, 2015, 5:40 pm | Link

You didn’t say you wanted class, you said you wanted nightlife 🙂

The Gold Coast does have a bit of a reputation of maybe being slightly tacky, but it’s really not that bad, not by comparison to some places. If I were you I would make it your starting point, and if you don’t like it, simply move on. You are only here for a year (unless you get it extended) so I would see as much of Australia as possible in that time if I were you.

• Hollie June 18, 2015, 9:21 pm | Link

I am a student and plan to leave to Aussie after saving for a couple of years, Ideally I want to move out by the time I am 23 (currently 19, graduating uni next year). Which city is not too expensive (seen as I’ll be fresh to the world) but still full of events for a young person like me to enjoy? Ideally not too high crime rate either (but then again, I don’t know about crime in Australia) And of course good place for hiring young people

• BobinOz June 19, 2015, 9:40 pm | Link

None of our cities have a high crime rate, so it will all be about costs. Four years is a long time away, for example, four years ago Perth was very expensive, today it’s not so expensive, and in four years time it might be even cheaper.

Sydney and Melbourne are our most expensive cities at the moment, can’t really see that changing much, so your choices will probably be Brisbane or Perth, but do check out my Quick Guide to Choosing a City in Australia and have a good read, it should help you decide.

• Jeremy Batt June 10, 2015, 12:11 am | Link

Hello all, I’m living in the states and run a chain of fitness centers called CrossFit. I’ve recently had opportunities and conversations about moving to australia to expand and would love to know if Australians are aware of CrossFit? Thanks in advance for your help.

• BobinOz June 10, 2015, 6:43 pm | Link

Australians are very much into fitness, we have gyms everywhere. I just did a quick search and found there is a crossfit club in Brisbane that was established in 2006. So yes, we have it here, but I can’t tell you for sure how popular is.

But I can tell you that fitness here is big business in Australia.

• J. Eduardo Vazquez May 27, 2015, 1:43 am | Link

Hello everyone!
    HELP!

I have a few questions and concerns and I hope someone can put me at ease.

My name is Eduardo, I was born in Mexico City and illegally immigrated to the United States at 11 with my family. I am now 23 years old with a two year work permit that allows me to renew it, but it doesn’t allow me to travel outside the country or do other things residents or citizens have the opportunity.
    One of my sister’s have the same legal document as me. My mother and younger sister who came before us (still illegal today) and a nephew who was born in the USA- with USA and Mexican Citizenship age 8, we are planning to apply for regufee status.

In recent time I started to reevaluate my and family life goals and opportunities. I love living in USA as it is home to us, and it is so beautiful, but when I started to reevaluate our lives I started thinking of important factors that encourage me to start looking for a different country to migrate that will accept us.

I would love to live in a country that holds all of this standards and that are welcoming to immigrant, with better immigrant opportunities for a more enjoyable life style.
    I have been doing a lot of reading and Australia and Canada seems like a perfect fit, but Canada is now starting to get highly immigrated by Latin America community.

– Is there a high or good amount of Job opportunities for new coming migrants, high end hair stylist and blue collar workers?

– Cost of living, would it be easy to find a place to live for a family of 5 (I am thinking that if Australia were to happen Melbourne would be our destination.)

-Healthier standard ofnliving- My mother will soon turn 50 and I would like her to start getting more comfortable as she worked hard for many years to support my sisters and I, and now after many years living in the States still illegally she doesn’t have any health care benefits or much of a job opportunity or retirement plan and going back to Mexico for her will be even harder than it already is for her.

– Greater opportunities to study for my younger sister who is 16 and my nephew who is 8. I feel like while the USA is a leader on world economy and power there’s a big lack of education among other things.

– My families safety is important as it was the main reason we left Mexico, unfortunately after living here for more than 10 years, it has been so hard to feel safe here when we have lived in he shadows for a long time with little opportunity.

– My younger sister and nephew are the future of this world and having them live in area where they acknowledge the importance of protecting the environment plays a big roll in my life as well as experiencing an learning a different culture.

-Friendlier environment.

Thank you.

• Nicola May 27, 2015, 7:27 am | Link

Hi Eduardo

I hope you don’t mind me replying, I’ve just seen your message and whilst I understand you wanting to move to Aus, I just hope you realise it may not be as straight forward as you think to move your entire family out here.

First step would be to see if it’s possible visa wise and therefore need to look online (Bob has links to this and migrant agent on his site). Realistically you’ll either need a skill to qualify for a permanent residency, which will be difficult to have dependants such as your mother, or need to be sponsored. I am currently going through this route with my partner out here. To give you an idea, I’m an English Event Manager and can’t get sponsored (and I’m out here already) my partner is an Electrician so therefore on the skilled list and should be going through the process shortly and i’ll be on his visa and will be able to stay at my job, but it still took a while for a company to want to look at sponsoring him- it’s difficult to get sponsored and very unlikely if you’re trying to do outside of the country.

I am in Sydney and love this country, but Australia is tricky to migrate to and has long processes. Just have a look into it first incase it’s not viable and you’re not disappointed.

You’ll probably be able to search for anything you need on this great site too as Bob seems to have covered everything and in detail! It helped us before thinking about moving (thanks Bob!)

Good luck with your search, and I hope that you and your family settle somewhere together!

Nicola

• Somnath May 27, 2015, 9:32 am | Link

Hi Nicola,
        Very interesting input.
        What about state sponsorship? Is that also difficult to get? I am applying (my wife and children will be dependent applicants) for getting my skilled recognized as a Project Coordinator (Project Administrator – ANZSCO 511112) for West Australia. I am about to begin the process.
        Can you throw some light in this matter?
        Thank again!
        Regards,
        Somnath

• BobinOz May 27, 2015, 9:37 pm | Link

Thanks Nicola, you’ve given a very good answer to J. Eduardo Vazquez, there’s nothing much more that I need to add to that.

Somnath, it is very difficult for anybody to accurately estimate your chances of getting state sponsorship, all you can do is apply and see what happens. You can find out more about this process over on my page about EOI.

• Abby May 21, 2015, 6:00 pm | Link

Firstly thanks for all the great info. I’m a 34 years old IT professional wanting to relocate to Australia soon. Can you please advise me on few ques 1) Which is the best city in terms of job prospects as it stands today 2) How to best secure a job before relocating 3) How to survive if i relocate before i get a job.
    Thanks a lot.

• BobinOz May 21, 2015, 7:16 pm | Link

For an answer to question 1) see Getting a Job or a Sponsorship, for 2) How to Find a Sponsored Job in Australia and the best advice for question three is to bring enough money for you to survive at least four months, but preferably six months, without income.

• Abby May 21, 2015, 7:51 pm | Link

Thanks for your reply Bob. I have a skilled migrant PR already valid, so i dont neccessarily need a sponsor, but i’m looking to secure a job in my field before relocating. Wherever i’ve read, its disheartening stories about how tough it is to land a job, so if could share some tips and tricks about the same, would be great help. Thanks again

• Jeff May 17, 2015, 1:45 pm | Link

Cheers,

I have been really wanting to move to Australia for some time now and I am planning to do it by the en>d of the year. I am a 24 year old male and I am looking to get a job on a private yacht or a merchant vessel of some sorts. Where are the best places to live for someone my age? Preferably, I would like to live close to the water considering my choice of employment and I am not wealthy by any means so, I’ll be living on a budget. Any suggestions?

Jeff