Brisbane

Living in Brisbane

Brisbane South BankBrisbane LocationA quick glance at any map of Australia will convince you that all the major cities, Sydney, Melbourne, Perth, Adelaide and Brisbane are all on the beach. They all are, except Brisbane, which is on a mangrove; if you want to know what I mean about that, check out my post The Beaches of Brisbane: A Quick Tour. Perhaps that’s why Brisbane only came 20th in the Economist’s Intelligence Unit’s 2014 Liveability Survey. But London only made 51st, so…..

Any shoreline about 15 kms either side of the mouth of the Brisbane River is a mangrove. Mangroves are intertidal trees and shrubs growing on tropical and subtropical shores. Basically, trees growing on mud. They are highly productive ecosystems, but you can’t build a sand castle on them.

But you’ll still need to bring your bucket and spade, because Brisbane is ideally located for both the Gold Coast and the Sunshine Coast. This accessibility to beaches is one reason why Brisbane pulls in so many tourists. It also has the benefit of a cooler inland climate.

Surfers Paradise (Gold Coast, south of Brisbane), one of Australia’s best know beaches, is about an hour and 10 minutes drive and Caloundra (Sunshine Coast, north) about an hour and a half. The closest sandy beaches to Brisbane are at Redcliffe (north) and Southport (south).

The city itself is very modern, clean and compact. It is easy to navigate and has its own man made “beach” at South Bank Parklands.

What’s the weather like?

Brisbane Annual WeatherBrisbane boasts, on average, around seven hours of sunshine each day. It doesn’t really have a “proper” winter, so if shorts and T-shirt are your thing, you can wear them all year round.

The only time it gets anything like resembling “cold”, is usually around July and August at night time when you may, on occasions, need to find some jog bottoms or a jumper to see you through those winter evenings.

Possible severe weather around the Brisbane area could include cyclones and some flooding. So be especially careful where you choose to settle. Brisbane Council has produced a flood areas map which you can download by specific area from  Brisbane Council’s website.

You may also want to check out my post called Brisbane and Queensland Floods: Should We Avoid Living There? Here’s a clue though, Brisbane is where I live and I love it.

You may think this all looks pretty straight forward, but I didn’t describe them as “sprawling suburbs” for nothing. These areas break down into around 80 or more postcodes and each postcode can have 2, 3 or more places to live. All in all, there are about 250 different places around Brisbane that you can choose from to live.

What’s Brisbane Like?

• Please note: Brisbane is no longer Australia’s fastest-growing city as stated in the commentary, it was a few years ago, but it’s not now.

Brisbane Suburbs Map:

Brisbane MapThe sprawling suburbs can be divided up into 5 areas as follows.

• Inner Brisbane – Including City, Inner North, Inner South, Inner East and Inner West
  • Northern Suburbs – Including Moreton Bay Islands, Northern Suburbs, North Eastern Suburbs, North Western Suburbs, Outer North Eastern Suburbs and Outer Northern Suburbs
  • Southern Suburbs – Including South Eastern Suburbs, South Western Suburbs and Southern Suburbs
  • Eastern Suburbs – Including Bayside Suburbs and Eastern Suburbs
  • Western Suburbs – Including Outer Western Suburbs and Western Suburbs

Questions about Brisbane?

If you have any question about living in Brisbane, please please feel free to ask them in the comments below. Or if you know this city well, why not tell us what you think of it or maybe even help out by answering some of the questions people have about the area. I’m sure anybody thinking of moving here would be very grateful for any help you can give them.

• Iva February 17, 2018, 2:20 pm | Link

Hello Bob,
    What a great blog with millions of good info. I wish I found it earlier. We are young family ( sydney siders) and getting squashed in a small townhouse and very tired of a long travel times to get anywhere and anytime :(. As my husband will finish up work this year ( facility shutting down) it is a good opportunty to re- think the living. We thinking of Brissy suburbs or maybe Redland City area, but south east only due to nature of my work. Thinking of a small acreage if possible. Was looking at Mount Cotton, Sheldon, Burbank but honestly do not have much idea. I am scared that we will move family to unsafe place :(. Any help much appreciated.

• BobinOz February 19, 2018, 5:08 pm | Link

Hi Iva, thanks, glad you like.

I don’t know the area you’re talking about very well, but take a look at what Rachael (in a conversation started by Neeta March 12, 2015, 11:14 pm) has to say about Mount Cotton over on my page about the Southern Suburbs.

Areas I do know well though are Anstead and Mount Crosby in the Western Suburbs, they are also very rural with acreage, very safe and property prices are quite reasonable. Worth a look. Hope that helps, Bob

• Iva February 19, 2018, 7:12 pm | Link

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I will definitely look at the conversation thread. Unfortunatelly, we cannot go to west as my husband will be based somewhere Brisbane CBD and myself attending various locations incl. Yatala and Gold Coast on a daily basis. The travel from West for myself would be a killer ( 6yr and 3yr kids at home on top of that). But must say that I did look at the suburbs you mentioned 🙂 and if I can I would put it on my “ like list”. Thank you so much!

• BobinOz February 20, 2018, 9:19 pm | Link

Yes, I agree, western suburbs to Gold Coast is a good hour and a quarter, a lot longer during rush hour. Not good. Sounds like you are probably looking in the right area with those other suburbs. Good luck, Bob

• sussan February 9, 2018, 8:19 pm | Link

My family and I are originally from Sydney but looking to move to Brisbane area very soon.
    Hubby is currently working in the mines but will be getting a job in Brisbane cbd area. we have friends who live in ipswich area (which I know is not part of Brisbane council). They swear by ipswich area as they were living in Redcliffe area and think ipswich is much better for kids.
    We are looking at moving asap as I have left my job and pulled out our kids from school to get everything rolling. what are you thoughts? I heard Springfield lakes is nice.

• BobinOz February 12, 2018, 4:12 pm | Link

Springfield Lakes has been mentioned in these comments before, it’s kind of a new town and is rapidly expanding, it’s won awards for its design. Good access to the city as well, straight up the motorway.

I’m not so sure about Ipswich, it sort of has a reputation for being a bit rough, but I don’t know if that truly is the case. Your friends would know better than I do, being as they live there, and if they say it is good, I’m not going to argue. I have been to Ipswich on many occasions, it seems okay to me.

If you possibly can, it might be an idea to pop up here and have a look around first, that way you can get an idea first hand about these places.

• Chris February 4, 2018, 3:58 am | Link

After I got some great help in the Melbourne section, I´m actually researching the Brisbane area as our second option to move to.
    We are a family of four (kids 8 and 10) and we are looking for a suburb with some nature around, affordable housing and within a radius of a 45min drive to the city. Of course not in an area where there will be floods…

We figured out the area of Ferny Hills, Arana Hills, Everton Hills or the area around Wakerly, Cannon Hill, Carina to live in.

Bob, what do think?

Thanks os much for this great work here!

• BobinOz February 5, 2018, 6:17 pm | Link

Brisbane would certainly give you better value in the housing market, but I’m sure you have already worked that out for yourself.

I don’t know any of the suburbs that you have mentioned here well, but I do know the areas quite well and I think they are all in very fine locations. So I think they would be good choices, but hopefully somebody who knows these suburbs better than I do will be able to give you more information.

It might also be worth looking at some of the western suburbs, particularly Bellbowrie and Moggill where housing is very affordable and there are plenty of green and open spaces. Beware though, parts of these suburbs did flood, but plenty of houses did not so you just need to consult the flood maps (link above) to make sure you get a house that won’t go under. These suburbs did get cut off though during the floods of 2011.

These may be on the edge of your radius though, it’s about 35 is drive to the city in normal traffic conditions, but probably more like an hour during peak rush-hour.

Hope that helps, Bob

• Chris February 6, 2018, 1:24 am | Link

Thanks again Bob.
        Good to know that we are on the right way… Bellbowrie and Moggill look very nice too. I thought this suburbs would be too far from the city, but 35 to 60mins sounds ok.
        Brissie more and more seems to be the perfect combination for us.
        Hope to see you there one day!

• Mark February 10, 2018, 12:24 pm | Link

Hi Chris

I think I may have helped you in the Melbourne section (you can easily spot my writung style) and might ironically help you here. We have done just over two years in Melbourne area and previously from the UK with some USA thrown in. So why the help ? We are moving to Brisbane in a few weeks. . There is argualbly nothing worng with Melbourne though I can list what I dont like.but trying not to be negative, as an example one thing being the mad driving style.

Cheers Mark

• Chris February 12, 2018, 9:09 pm | Link

Hey Mark,
            of course I remember your comments in the Melbourne section. Your recommended neighboorhoods there are still on our list… Thank you.
            But it seems that Brissie is the place to be?! Let us all have a “BobinOZ-User-BBQ” there:-)
            Do you already know where you´re going to live in Brisbane?

• Mark February 13, 2018, 6:26 am | Link

Hi Chris
              BBQ great idea. I can see Bob reaching for his chefs whites now. Brisse has its downsides nowhere doesnt, it was 38 yesterday in Brisbane and a friend of mine came home from work and jumped in the pool…An everday occurence maybe? No! She got out of the car walked through the house and straight in. Meanwhile us in Melbourne had the heating on this morning. Reason two.
              I was given two choices Sydney or Melbourne when I came out, things have changed a lot and it just seems so much nicer. Where? Not quite sure but Anstead, Pullenvale, Kenmore, Bellbowrie, Mogill, area and surrounds seem to be favorite
              Any sausages done yet ?

• Marcio January 21, 2018, 3:24 pm | Link

Hi Bob how are you
    Can you tell about Bethania. Homview and Beelengh,they are good place to family live.

• BobinOz January 22, 2018, 7:00 pm | Link

All of the suburbs you have mentioned here are actually part of the City of Logan, not Brisbane City Council. Logan is referred to as part of Greater Brisbane though. Logan is known as a socio-economically challenged area, for more about that, see the following post…

You will see that the 2011 census rated Logan as the fourth most disadvantaged place in Greater Brisbane, so probably not the best choice.

• Gillian January 17, 2018, 2:18 am | Link

Hi Bob!

Love your website. It is so informative, especially when Australia is a millions miles away from Ireland!!

My partner and I (mid 20’s) are moving to Australia in September. Our visa is for one year. We have been researching like crazy but cannot decide where the best location to live is. We have heard a lot of great things about Brisbane. We are leading towards there, Melbourne being our 2nd choice.
    We arent looking for a crazy lifestyle but want to experience the Australian life. Sun, beaches, busy but quiet living area.
    Can you recommend any nice areas, suburbs?
    Lastly, do you have any advice in getting a job? Something stress free, retail, waiter etc.

Thank you so much in advance!

• BobinOz January 18, 2018, 4:34 pm | Link

If you really want to enjoy the sun and the sand, maybe you should consider going to the Gold Coast, Surfers Paradise is the most commercial area and might be the kind of place where you’ll get jobs in hospitality like being a waiter.

Brisbane it’s self doesn’t really have good beaches, but is a bigger place and will probably offer more job opportunities, but you’ll need to drive to a decent beach and that’ll take about an hour and a half or so.

If you choose somewhere like Raby Bay or Cleveland, which are on the coast, then you’d probably get to the Gold Coast for your beach breaks in about an hour.

I can’t really help you with getting a job, but my page Getting a Job or a Sponsorship will help you search for them.

• Tracy February 4, 2018, 12:36 pm | Link

@Gillian, have you thought about Perth?

Western AU, though further away from the east coast cities, has gorgeous (& nearly empty) beaches, great weather, lots of sunshine, & Perth/surrounding areas have plenty of hospitality-type jobs, last I looked. Rent prices are also (mostly) cheaper than over east. You might want to have a squiz (peek) at seek.com.au, as well. There are cheap airfare tickets on special frequently, if you wanted to visit the east coast from WA. Good luck!

• Karan January 16, 2018, 7:47 pm | Link

Can you suggest as I am coming from India . Please suggest some good schools with some Indian students so that my kid can mix up well to start off .

• Lori January 14, 2018, 10:24 pm | Link

We arrived in Brisbane just over 2 weeks ago and are currently staying with friends in Scarborough as we visited earlier this year and settled on the Newport are and identified a good school…or so we thought. We keep missing out on rentals and presently have no work opportunities (which is rather scary!) we are now regrouping and considering our options. We are thinking about other suburbs such as Carseldine or Spring Hill. Any thoughts or comments on these areas would be greatly appreciated 😀 we turned down great jobs in Melbourne to make a life in Brisbane as we felt it was a better fit (moved from scotland) but we are starting to wonder if we can make make Brisbane work.

• BobinOz January 16, 2018, 10:37 pm | Link

This is a tough one for me to help you with, I really don’t know enough about Carseldine or Spring Hill to advise, although knowing the area it’s hard for me to think why you have singled these two suburbs out as possibilities.

Spring Hill I think would be expensive, and is pretty much in the heart of the city. Carseldine, if I’m not mistaken, has a major road going through it that gets very busy, so neither of them are anything like the suburbs by your friends. But hopefully somebody who knows what it’s really like to live in either of these suburbs will see your comment and help you out better than I can.

Anybody?

Also, I also always think it’s best to try and secure jobs first so you know where you’re going to be working before you decide where to live permanently, just so you don’t end up with a tough commute.

• Melani Possiri January 13, 2018, 12:58 pm | Link

Happy New Year Bob,

I would very much appreciate your input and help

Iam planning to move there Brisbane next year 2019
    Iam from Papua New Guinea currently currently living in NZ with my son who is on a Student visa while am on visa visa as his guardian, while my husband works back at home PNG

My budget is very tight on 60K .

Seeking for infor for good suburbs ,secondary school and good community etc.

• BobinOz January 16, 2018, 10:22 pm | Link

That is a tight budget, and the danger is if you go to somewhere where property prices are really cheap, then you might end up in a not so nice suburb and the schools might not be quite so good.

So I’m going to suggest you look at Springfield Lakes, it’s a fast expanding suburb, all quite new, and it has won awards. Property prices are quite reasonable there as well. I have no idea what the schools are like, I think you would have to look into that separately. My page Which school? will help.

• Melanie Fernando January 21, 2018, 6:13 am | Link

Thank you so much for the information

• gio December 27, 2017, 12:01 am | Link

Hi Bob, I been a long time lurker here in your site. It is very informative. We were planning to migrate in Brisbane. Me and my wife are both Registered Nurses here in New Zealand, we have three kids aged 11, 7 and 2 years old. I know this is a very vague question, but where do you think my family will be suited to live? thank you in advance.

• BobinOz January 2, 2018, 5:31 pm | Link

Yes, it is a bit vague, you really do need to tell me something about what you want from a suburb for me to be able to help. That said, I’d be inclined to go into a short-term rental if you can, maybe six months, during which you can have a good look around to find a suburb you like and also, hopefully, secure permanent work for both of you.

Once you know where you will be working, it’s easier to decide where you want to be living.

• Gio January 7, 2018, 1:47 am | Link

My apologies, what I meant is that where in Brisbane can we afford to live knowing that we have three kids. Can we live on a approx. 120k to 140k annual salary combined. Is Pimpana a good place for us if one of us is working in brisbane? Thank for your reply.

• BobinOz January 8, 2018, 6:24 pm | Link

Well, that’s a pretty good combined income, I think you could live reasonably comfortably but it would be a good idea to keep your housing costs down. I would not live in Pimpana, the commute would be horrible into Brisbane from there.

Have a look at my page Cost of Buying or Renting a House in Australia, it has links to search for properties and will give you a good idea of the costs for any suburb you’re interested in.

Off the top of my head, I’d maybe suggest looking at Springfield/Springfield Lakes, reasonably priced properties with good access to the city, I think the place has won awards, as well as looking at the comments already made here about the various suburbs in Brisbane.

• gio January 8, 2018, 7:35 pm | Link

Thank you for pointing us in the right direction. I immediately google the place and the house cost rental and for sale are quite reasonable. Yes, we really wanted to keep our housing cost down since we know we would be spending a good chunk of our budget on the child care cost for our three kids especially with our youngest kid who is just about 2 years old, which lead to my another question about the cost of childcare. Any idea how much is a daily cost for a whole day care for a toddler and how much is the subsidy from the government?

• kitty December 18, 2017, 3:43 am | Link

well, looks like this is an old post but what the heck –
    potentially relocating to brisbane, not a clue about the city and where to live. any areas i should look up . if i could make a profile of where i’d like to live it would be :
    – doesn’t have to be cbd, wouldn’t mind if it was or wasn’t as long as living close to public transport (walking distance) or not needing to have a car would be neat
    – prefer a neighborhood with ‘activity’ like cafes, restaurants, a bit vibey and people out and about? will be moving solo, would be nice to be in an area where it’s easy to have your local cafe and hangouts
    – would LOVE if it’s close to yoga and fitness studios… i guess this sounds like i want to be close to the action ::)
    – views are nice of water or nature preferable. would prefer vibe and views rather than new build and luxury.

any ideas where i want to be living??
    thanks in advance!

kit

• BobinOz December 18, 2017, 5:30 pm | Link

Yes, this page is old, but still active.

I’d be looking at Teneriffe and New Farm and maybe Bulimba and Hawthorne. They are all quite trendy places, close to the Brisbane River for those views you want and they all have the kind of activities you are looking for. They are all close to the city and public transport, in fact you can get a CityCat (ferry) if you’re near a terminal.

We have an abundance of gyms and yoga classes, so I don’t think you will ever be too far away from that.

These are generally expensive suburbs to live in, but they do also have an abundance of apartments so you may be able to get somewhere at a good price. Hope that helps, Bob

• kit December 18, 2017, 6:13 pm | Link

thanks bob!
        i suppose i should have mentioned where i might work – in bowen hills.
        would those still be the same neighbourhoods (easy to get to work???) to look at?
        thanks again!

• BobinOz December 19, 2017, 11:55 pm | Link

New Farm and Teneriffe are perfect, you could walk to work from there to Bowen Hills.

• Sunoj January 12, 2018, 5:37 pm | Link

I am in Melbourne and I am planning to join St Andrews war memorial hospital within 2 months… just want to know which suburb is best to rent and travel to this hospital with less traffic…I got 2 kids and looking for good schools too.

Sunoj Thomas

• BobinOz January 13, 2018, 10:17 pm | Link

Well that’s going to be right in the city, that hospital is in Wickham Terrace isn’t it? Ashgrove is nice, but a little expensive, what’s your budget? And how long do you want to spend travelling to work, I would think public transport would be better than driving unless they’re going to give you a parking space.

• kobi December 13, 2017, 3:10 am | Link

Hi bob,
    My husband and i are after to buy a 3 bedroom townhouse or apartment/unit. we want to be 30 minutes from woolloongabba and 30 minutes from clontarf. we are after a good suburb with good schools and nice parks and restaurants. can you recommend any suburbs?

• Kris November 30, 2017, 6:36 pm | Link

Hello Bob,
    I sent a message few months ago while still thinking about moving, thanks for your response and once again, thanks for a great website.
    I have just received a job offer at Ipswich Hospital and would also be working occasionally at The Prince Charles Hospital in Chermside.
    I’m hoping you can advise of a good suburb for young family, someone with easy access to Brisbane CBD, we don’t frequent cities but like to have easy access on occasional date nights.
    Our interest are somewhere with reasonable cost, clean, park, safe and easy access to beach and possibly a place we can buy our own home after renting for a year.
    The Mrs is still looking for job but mostly she might work in city.
    I’m looking at some house in Forest Lakes; I also have Springfield Lakes in mind, but would like to hear from locals about these suburbs or some other suggestions please.
    Thanks again
    Kris

• BobinOz December 1, 2017, 4:37 pm | Link

Moggill and the surrounding suburbs are all very nice, great places for families, with lots of parks and open spaces. It’s pretty much right in the middle of the two hospitals you mention, being about 40 minutes drive from Chermside and 30 minutes or less from Ipswich. Those times allow for a little bit of traffic, but probably not peak which might take a little longer.

Buses run from Moggill to the city quite regularly, but that would be my top choice. Not easy access to the beach, but nowhere in Brisbane is really, because the best beaches are on Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast. Both are about an hour and a half drive from Moggill.

Springfield Lakes is a newish development that is massively expanding, and technically speaking it is not Brisbane, it is part of Ipswich Council. Better access to the beaches of Gold Coast from there, and again, probably well-placed to drive to both those hospitals. I know very little about Forest Lake, so hopefully a local will read this and be able to tell you more about that area. Looking at a map, a few of the surrounding suburbs around Forest Lake are not Brisbane’s finest, so it may not be a great choice. I don’t know for sure though.

Hope that helps, Bob

• Kris December 2, 2017, 4:49 pm | Link

Thanks so much Bob, this is really helpful. I will look up Springfield Lakes and Moggill

• Kris December 12, 2017, 5:50 pm | Link

Hello Bob, thanks again for your help and apologies for being a pain.
        I’ve been looking at Moggill area but it seems there is no much going on for rental out there.
        Just wondering what are your thoughts about Chapel Hill area? The Mrs is being offered a job around Brisbane inner city, while I will be working at Ipswich. This means we would be looking for somewhere to live in-between both suburb. I generally don’t want either of us to drive more than 30mins from our home to place of work.
        Do you think about either Moggill, Chapel Hill or Springfield Lakes would be good choice?
        Looking for family friendly area, safe, clean and has good access to the city as well Ipswich hospital. Somewhere with some good dinning out area would be a plus, perhaps close to shops and public transport.
        My main job would be in Ipswich hospital, I will sometime work at Logan and Prince Charles, while the Mrs will predominantly work around the Brisbane city area.
        Please advise

Thanks again for a great website and massive help.

• BobinOz December 12, 2017, 9:21 pm | Link

No worries, you are not being a pain at all. Chapel Hill and surrounds are all very nice areas, and there is a pub in Kenmore and also several restaurants. Chapel Hill is a bit quieter in that respect, as is Fig Tree Pocket, but both are good safe areas to live in, Kenmore too. Plots are smaller than you would get in Moggill and houses are generally older, but access to the city is better.

• Agi November 24, 2017, 1:44 am | Link

Hi Bob.
    My partner and I will be moving over to Brisbane round March next year. He has a job offer in Brisbane CBD. Can you recommend suburb to live in? We would like to be within 5-10k from CBD. We have two black Labradors and absolutely love outdoor living. We will be looking for a property with big garden. We would like to be somewhere near parks and river.
    I never been in Australia so find it quiet hard to decide where to move to?

Cheers, Agi

• BobinOz November 24, 2017, 7:51 pm | Link

Like most cities, any house close to the centre is going to be on a smaller plot, so it will probably have a small garden. So I think you’re going to be looking at least 10 kilometres away, maybe a bit more.

I would look west of the city if I were you, if you look at the map of Brisbane you will see it gets quite green if you look left. By the time you get to Samford, you are in acreage and horse country, similar if you go south-west to Pullenvale. But both of these suburbs are very expensive and about 20 kilometres away from the CBD.

If you look in those directions though, that’s where the ‘low density dwellings’ hangout, as in places with bigger gardens. Of course, no river out that way, but I wouldn’t advise living too close to the river anyway. You would have to live too far away from the city to get a big plot, unless you’re millionaires 🙂 and sometimes we have floods.

• Sam November 23, 2017, 7:46 pm | Link

Myself and my girlfriend are looking to move to Brisbane in 2019.
    I’m 32 and she is 28. We both love the sea but are looking to live in a suburb a small distance away from built up city areas. Close to a beach would be ideal but also close enough to commute to the centre for work.

We enjoy going out, socialising and fitness too. Our budget is by no means unlimited but we’d be on the higher end. Can you offer any advice on areas to look at? Thanks for your time, it’s much appreciated.
    Sam

• BobinOz November 24, 2017, 7:38 pm | Link

Well, firstly Sam, you need to know that Brisbane doesn’t do beaches very well. In the first paragraph above on this page, you’ll find a link to a post that I did about that, it might be a good idea if you have a look at it.

If you decide you still want to live close to the coast of Brisbane, my favourite area is Sandgate and the surrounding suburbs. If after looking at the page I have mentioned you have any more questions, do feel free to come back and ask.

• Rik November 22, 2017, 10:02 am | Link

Thanks for putting up such useful information, really helps to make decisions when you cant travel and live somewhere first.

Could you help with a question I have regarding affordability and liveability.
    I am a brit living in NZ, citizen and considering a move over the Aus., my areas of interest are Adelaide or perhaps up Brisbane way. The two key things I am interested:

1. The possibility to afford to buy small place but in a decent area, it would just be for me so doesn’t need to be a big family home. Budget perhaps $300K

2. Mountain biking, I am really spoilt her in S.I. New Zealand, and that is perhaps my biggest factor, I want to be able to get out to and ride most days on some good varied terrain.

Also concerned about the amount of biting insects/ flies, maybe the culture/ people and vibe of the place. But mainly affording a small place and biking.

Don’t think you would have liked Cornwall, I lived there a while many years ago and wet wet wet in winter, and unless your actually Cornish you’d always be an outsider. Good pasties in Padstow though.

Cheers,
    Rik

• BobinOz November 23, 2017, 6:10 pm | Link

Actually, I did like Cornwall, but I couldn’t have lived there. I think the winters are way too harsh and I think everybody struggles for work when the tourists aren’t around.

Anyway, I think you’ll be all right for mountain bike riding whether you go to Adelaide or Brisbane, but I think it might just be more fun in Adelaide. They have the Adelaide Hills and of course, a big bike race each year, is it called Santos?

I think housing is cheaper in Adelaide as well, although you can still buy a house here in Brisbane for $300K in some areas, but I suspect you’d get a better house in a better area for that money in Adelaide.

Best to do some research on my page Cost of Buying or Renting a House in Australia to compare.

If you need to find work though, Adelaide can be difficult, Brisbane not much better, but if you are going to be looking for a job, I’d research that first as well and go where the most opportunities are. My page Getting a Job or a Sponsorship will help with that.

Both are friendly and laid-back cities, but when I visited Adelaide I found the people there super friendly and helpful. Good luck which ever you decide.

• Ajay November 13, 2017, 10:08 pm | Link

Hope your are doing well. I have recently been granted a PR Visa Subclass 190 for Queensland. I have a wife and 3 years old dependent child. Originally from India, I am currently working in United Arab Emirates in HR – Learning & Development function. I have over 13 years of experience in Insurance (underwriting/brokerage) and Banking (Operations/HR). My wife has work experience in Insurance (Brokerage/Policy documentations) and we both plan to work once we move to Queensland.
    Considering above, I would like to know which city/suburb is best for us to settle, keeping in mind that my son will have to be in a day care / pre school. What is the initial budgeted amount that we should target for bringing to Australia since we both will have to look for the job when we land there.
    Accordingly we will continue to work here in United Arab Emirates and once we have enough savings to move there we shall make a final move to australia. Any advice will be more than welcome.
    Regards
    AJ.

• BobinOz November 14, 2017, 8:19 pm | Link

I think the simple answer to your question is this; go where the work is. Here’s why.

I think anybody looking to move to Australia in the current climate from abroad needs to do thorough research on how likely it is they will secure a job when they get here. It sounds like you have your heart set on Queensland, but if I’m not mistaken, with the kind of visa you have you could go anywhere in Australia.

I don’t work in recruitment, so I don’t know where the best place to go would be for you and your wife given your skills, but I do suggest you research it thoroughly using the links on my page Getting a Job or a Sponsorship.

It may turn out the Queensland isn’t the ideal place for you in terms of finding work, but if it is, all well and good. From what I know, Brisbane would be the place to go in Queensland for work, unemployment gets higher and higher the further north you go from Brisbane in this state.

You also want to have a good read of the following post as well as the comments made on it…

Yes, it is from 2015, but not much has changed since. There are many new migrants talking about how difficult it is to find work in those comments. As for how much money to bring, as much is possible is my second simple answer. The reason is no one knows how long it might take you to get a job, your safest bet would be to try and secure one before you move out here. If you come here and can’t find work, money runs out pretty quick.

I suspect this isn’t the sort of answer you were hoping to get, but I do think it’s information you need to be aware of. Good luck, Bob

• Ajay November 14, 2017, 10:07 pm | Link

Thank you Bob for your detailed response and I really appreciate your suggestions however the visa that I have been granted is for state nomination that is from Queensland so this is a PR for indefinite stay but however nominated by State of Queensland and I will have to spend initial 2 years in Queensland and that is the reason why I have chosen Queensland. i am not sure , if i get a better job and directly go to another state … will it impact my citizenship application since i did not fullfill minimum stay requitement at queensland? Please advice.

• BobinOz November 15, 2017, 6:11 pm | Link

Sorry, you did say, and yes on that basis the visa has been issued on condition that you come to Queensland. So the answer is almost the same, except limited to Queensland, and my suspicion is that the most job opportunities will be in Brisbane, but I don’t know that for sure.

The only way to find out is to use the links on the page I’ve mentioned above to search for jobs in Queensland to see what opportunities there might be for you.

If you are not sure how the specific terms and conditions of your visa works, then you should speak to the immigration department or a MARA registered migration agent.

• Bella November 14, 2017, 11:37 pm | Link

Hi Bob.
        We are getting ready to move to Queensland from Sydney. We have not decieded exactly where to move to but should be anywhere a bit close to Brisbane cbd. We want some places that not too hard to find a job ( I’m working at aged care, home care, assistant in nursing. And my husband is a security)
        Could you please tell us: which suburbs near Brisbane (not more than 45-50 mins to drive), not too hard to find a job or not too hard to run a cafe/take away shop and the house price is around 300k?
        I’m looking forward to hearing back from you

• BobinOz November 15, 2017, 6:26 pm | Link

Well, there is nowhere close to Brisbane CBD where a house can be purchased for around 300k. Have a look at the prices via the link on my page Cost of Buying or Renting a House in Australia to see what I mean.

There are also isn’t a specific region where it is not too hard to find a job, but Brisbane itself is quite sprawling, unlike Sydney, so if you have a car you can get to the CBD quite easily from many places.

I suggest you look at my page Getting a Job or a Sponsorship and do some research on where the best jobs are for you, and maybe even try and land a job first, before you decide whereabouts you want to live.

Pretty sure you will need to up your price though, I don’t think you can buy any house for 300k here anymore.

• Charlotte November 12, 2017, 7:20 pm | Link

Hi there,
    Looking for some advice. Thinking of relocating to Brisbane or along the coast Husband works from home so don’t need to worry about commute. We have 2 small children so a family friendly area would be great.

• BobinOz November 13, 2017, 5:55 pm | Link

Well, if you’re not tied by work, you can go anywhere really, so maybe it would be good to hear a little bit more about what you want from where you live.

We have plenty of family friendly areas, but what else do you want? If you just want the beach and family friendly, Sunshine Coast would possibly suit you much better. If you only want the beach occasionally and prefer to be close to a city, then perhaps you want a quiet and family friendly suburb in Brisbane.

If you want the countryside and acreage, we have that as well. If you can give us more info, we will try and help.

• Mike November 9, 2017, 12:45 pm | Link

Hi Bob, great website!!!!!! We are coming over tomorrow for a few days to make sure we like it before we move from NZ. I am from UK and partner from China and just waiting for missus to get citizenship here, so we can just move to aus and don’t have to worry about visas etc. Hoping to relocate in roughly 8 months. Spiders ae a bit of a concern for us, but I’ve looked into all possible ways to keep them out the house. We will be looking to buy a house pretty quick once we get there around 500k mark and not too far from the city. Any areas you would recommend? If you are around this weekend and want a pint hit me up lol! Take care mate!

• BobinOz November 10, 2017, 7:22 pm | Link

Hi Mike, glad you like.

I wouldn’t worry too much about the spiders, just get an annual pest spray done, you will hardly ever see any. As for where to buy your house, the closer you are to the city, the more expensive they get.

I don’t know for sure, but I’d be surprised if you could get closer than, say, 20 kilometres for 500k. Best thing to do is go to realestate.com.au, there is a link on my page called Cost of Buying or Renting a House in Australia, and search the greater Brisbane area with a maximum price and how many bedrooms you want.

Then look at map view, that way you can easily see which houses are closest to the city. Once you’ve narrowed it down a bit, come back if you want and mention the suburbs you are looking at, maybe I or somebody else can let you know what it’s like.

Enjoy your weekend here, I won’t be able to join you for that pint though, I’m flat out like a lizard drinking, as we say here. Looks like our have to buy my own beer 🙂

• Eva November 3, 2017, 6:31 pm | Link

Hi Bob, thank you for such a lovely website. I will be in Brisbane for a holiday for a few weeks, not exactly moving there…yet!. Where would be the best area for me to stay in terms of easy public transport access as well as access to the touristy things, cafes and restaurants, nature trails, beaches etc? I’m more inclined to Teneriffe but could do with a local’s perspective. Love from London

• BobinOz November 3, 2017, 8:45 pm | Link

Teneriffe would be perfect, I was actually surprised to read in the paper the other day that it is Brisbane’s most expensive suburb now for housing. Historically I thought it was Hamilton, but now it’s Teneriffe. If you can find somewhere to stay a decent price, it would be a good choice.

The area is certainly good for cafes and restaurants, and just so you know, Fortitude Valley nearby is where all the nightlife is, until 5 o’clock in the morning if you wish. So it’s quite a lively area.

Roma Street is where the main train station hub is, so it wouldn’t do any harm to be close to that. Obviously you will need to travel a bit to find your nature trails and beaches, that do check out South Bank Parklands while you are here.

• Eva November 9, 2017, 3:05 am | Link

Thanks Bob, that’s very informative! I can’t wait to be there!!

• Stu November 4, 2017, 2:37 am | Link

We stayed at the Hotel Urban Brisbane last year and loved it. It’s right near Roma Station and has a nice outside bar/ dining area for the evenings, and is 20 min walk from the city centre.

• Eva November 9, 2017, 3:06 am | Link

Thanks Stu, I’ll have a look!

• Mark November 9, 2017, 10:56 am | Link

Having also just stayed at the Hotel Urban, yes decent hotel nicely placed I can recommend it, but and there is an incredible ‘but’…parking a car in the car park under the hotel is a feat worthy of a prize.. A percentage of the bays are easy to get to but in the main its incredible, negotiating a car through the pillars that hold the floor above. Not two, not four but around ten on each level aaaahhhhhh Its like playing skittles with a car, only trying not to hit them…as testament to the multicolored paint marks on each pillar many before have hit them…A serious challenge for Ross Swift even but still a great hotel..

• BobinOz November 10, 2017, 7:03 pm | Link

It is a serious challenge, it has to be seen to be believed. So much so, it should be a tourist attraction.

• Anika November 2, 2017, 1:05 am | Link

First of all let me say how much my family and I have enjoyed your websites and commentries on everything about Australia! We have our PR visas and hoping to come Dec this year! Christmas on the beach! We have a family with four kids ages 16 down to 4 and we would like to live outside of town where it may be commutable to Brisbane for work for hubby. I will be nursing which is more flexible regards to location. We were thinking about Kanara Downs, Karalee and similar places – would it be a reasonable commute to Brisbane CBD? We also like the looks of Jimboomba and Pine mountain but is it realistic to live so far would it be a nightmare commute? I wonder what your take on this might be? We would like to find something with space above everything else. I will research some of the suburbs mentioned in previous comments, I just wondered what your opinion was? Thanks so much!

• BobinOz November 3, 2017, 8:12 pm | Link

Hi Anika,

Thanks, glad to hear you have enjoyed my website.

I know Karana Downs and Karalee quite well, they are not far from where I live. Good areas they are as well, house prices are very reasonable too. The commute to Brisbane CBD is very doable, but only by car. I think public transport would be a nightmare, there are certainly no trains and I’ve never seen a bus on the Mount Crosby Road, not a public bus anyway.

Bellbowrie though, which is close by, does have a bus service running into the city. Without traffic, you could do Karalee to Brisbane CBD in about 50 minutes by car, with traffic probably an additional 20 minutes. Perfectly commutable really.

Jimboomba and Pine Mountain, I don’t know those so well, but I don’t think they would be a better option and the commute would certainly be a bit longer.

Mount Crosby and Anstead are worth a look if you like rural, and nothing wrong with Bellbowrie or Moggill either if you want to be on that bus route to the city. All the areas I mention are good for plenty of space.

Hope that helps, Bob

• Anika November 5, 2017, 5:13 am | Link

Thanks so much for your answer! Its great to have some confirmation of our choices before we come over… getting excited! Maybe we will meet you in Bellbowrie some time you never know!

• Charles November 1, 2017, 4:07 am | Link

My wife and I are maybe accepting a move to Brisbane – moving from the US. The location my wife will be working at is close to the Brisbane City Botanic Gardens. Looking for a place around $500-$600 USD per week. No kids, so looking for new, modern, close to cafes, restaurants, pubs, etc. Any suggestions?
    Thanks !!!

• BobinOz November 1, 2017, 6:14 pm | Link

Yes, I’d be inclined to look at New Farm and Teneriffe, lots of bars, restaurants and clubs within easy reach and you can also enjoy relaxing riverside walks. Your wife could get a City Cat Ferry to work.

Newstead, and on the other side of the river, Bulimba, are also worth considering. There’s not much around that way that is new and modern though, apart from maybe apartments. They are all pretty decent places to live though.

• Aprajita Ghai October 30, 2017, 9:46 am | Link

Hi I am planning to move to Brisbane . Can someone suggest the best school for boys( private school) . And the near by area , To live in . Thanks

• BobinOz October 30, 2017, 8:33 pm | Link

Well, most agree that Brisbane Grammar School, which is a boys school in Spring Hill, is the best private school in the city, but I think also the most expensive. Hamilton is nearby and a very affluent suburb with some stunning houses overlooking the river, but again, very expensive.

• Ali October 28, 2017, 11:24 pm | Link

First of all, a Big Thank You for all the information you have shared. You’re doing a wonderful job!

My name is Ali. I am planning to come to Australia in March 2018 on a PR visa. I am a civil engineer with over 4 years exp. in water resources & tunnels. I am thinking of coming to Brisbane as it apparently has a decent no. of engineering consultancies working in the water/marine industry as well as a low cost of living. Could you please make some suggestions:

a) firstly, on my choice of city to live and find work;
    b) and secondly, on the suburbs where I can easily find a casual job while job hunting for an engineering role.

My only preference is to have friendly flatmates/neighbours until I find a permanent job.

Cheers,
    Ali

• BobinOz October 30, 2017, 8:01 pm | Link

Thanks for the kind words, glad you like the website.

You need to read the information on my page Getting a Job or a Sponsorship and do some research to find out which city will offer you the most job opportunities.

That answers question a), but question b) can only be discussed when you have worked out which city you are going to go to. When you have decided where you’re going though, simply visit my page about that city and have a look at the comments about the suburbs, although if you’re only criteria for a suburb is finding work, again you can research that on the page I have given you a link to above.

• Annie October 22, 2017, 4:03 pm | Link

Hi there,

My partner and I are moving from Melbourne. I will be working just south of Caboolture and my partner in Chermside. We’re after an energetic suburb for 20 somethings with cafes/things to do on our limited time off. I am willing to commute about 45 mins in order to have this and the lifestyle we’re after. Budget around $500/week. What northern Brisbane suburbs would you recommend?

Thank you in advance!

• Ozimandias October 22, 2017, 6:25 pm | Link

I know someone who likes Sippy Downs, though that is north and really part of Sunshine Coast. At 500 bucks you can afford most options, asuming you are just talking rent. If you mean rent and utility bills, the situation is different. Locally, Woody Point maybe, or Scarborough. Redcliffe has a significant amount of public housing, with all that entails, for that matter also Deception Bay. Burpengary is suburbia, if that’s your thing. Morayfield is pretty ordinary, not much of an advance on Caboolture, though has a large mall and a lot more eating options, though is pretty spread out. Not really a village at atmosphere, quite generic. Bribie Island is simple and laid back, close enough, but with not a lot to do, other than beaches, water activities and a bit of nature, part of it is national park.

There’s several options on your budget close to the city if you don’t mind a commute. A bonus is the train line goes all the way from Caboolture to the ciry if you don’t want to drive. Traffic can be hectic.

• Ozimandias October 22, 2017, 6:32 pm | Link

energetic would not describe any option I have mentioned to my knowledge…

better to think about inner Brisbane or close enough to commute to it on the weekends. The clubs are centrally located.

• Annie October 22, 2017, 8:23 pm | Link

We’re not really concerned about clubs. Mostly the vibe/cafes/etc.

From reading the rest of this thread, maybe Bowen Hills/Newstead/Tenerife or Paddington/Rosalie would be what we’re looking for? Any idea what the realistic commute would be to Caboolture from Bowen Hills/Newstead/Tenerife versus Paddington/Rosalie, ie does east/west of the northern side of the river make a difference? Google maps says about the same but not sure of the local traffic patterns.

Cheers!

• Ozimandias October 22, 2017, 9:14 pm | Link

If you like heritage and village like ambience, the area about Paddington is nice. Try google walking it. It is hilly, so if planning on walking around, bear it in mind as Brisbane is pretty hot, though peaks around the middle of the day in my experience, whereas Melbourne in the height of summer peaks around 4pm.

I thought the surrounding areas to Paddington are nice too, typical of the planning ideas of community at the time in the mid to late 1800s, which are most appealing and have not been beaten since in my view. Hence their popularity.

Transportwise, try reviewing the public transport website:

It doesn’t look favourable from Paddington.

A dimming memory now, but looking at the train time from city to Caboolture it is 49 minutes to Central.

Bear in mind your commutes as may become a burden over time, even in your 20s.

If you are in a situation where work in Caboolture may lead in six months to a year to somewhere closer to the city, bear it in mind in your choice of accommodation, as you may move and then your residence becomes strategic.
            The main drag of Caboolture is imo utterly unredeeming. Shuttered in part. There is a shopping centre with a gym on it across the road from the hospital, with a few takeaway options. There is a museum for aircraft and an old showground.

It is regarded as a bogan area, an outer ring suburb which was once a country town, though that is not easily appreciated driving through the main strip. On your way out to the Sunshine Coast, you see paddocks with horses, vestiges betraying the town’s erstwhile sleepy backwater nature. It is a bit gritty, with a lot of people covered in tattoos, maybe a struggle street scowl, but generally Qld “Aussie”. I’m ok with it, but if it was me in my 20s, no way would I live there.

If you really must be close to 19th century stuff, maybe best to look at the older parts of Brisbane somewhere along the line from CBD to Caboolture.

• Ozimandias October 22, 2017, 9:30 pm | Link

another thing, I got the sense a lot of people head out of the city on the weekend to the beach as 9+ months of the year it is bright, sunny warm to hot weather.
              It is an ideal weather scenario to go the beach and given the upper and lower limits extend up and down the coast endlessly, it’s no surprise people leave the centre of Brisbane for a swim.
              If you are after a beach/cafe vibe, there are quite a lot of apartment options very much in your budget along the coast in your budget. There is an apartment glut in Brisbane which is set to continue, so it can be a buyer’s market and you may feel you can negotiate a price better to your liking.

• BobinOz October 23, 2017, 7:05 pm | Link

Some good advice here from Ozimandias, and I agree with him entirely, Caboolture and the surrounding suburbs are not the best. Sunshine Coast is great, but a bit quiet and the commute to Chermside would be awful. New Farm would be ideal for you I think, but the commute to Caboolture will probably be about an hour. I think though, for the most part, the bulk of the traffic will be going in the opposite direction during peak hours.

What tends to happen is that people live in Sunshine Coast and commute to work to Brisbane, your other half will be doing it the other way round. One other option, worth looking into, would be Sandgate. No nightclubs there, but quite a nice buzz about the place, quite a few bars and a bit of cafe culture.

• Rose October 20, 2017, 4:48 pm | Link

Me and my partner will be moving to Brisbane soon.

What would be a nice area to live in for a young( mid-late 20’s ), outgoing &active couple?

Thanks !

• Rahul Sinha October 16, 2017, 3:34 am | Link

HI Bob,
    Thanks for this website. Very informative. Now, at least I got some idea about the suburbs.

I am an Indian and I am moving to Brisbane for a year for my work. My office is located in George Street. I will be using the public transport for travel. I can spend 20-30 mins on travel. Can you please suggest me where I should move in. I am looking for a place nearby to bus stop, supermarket, cafes and restaurants. My budget would be $200 per week for rent.

• Tracy October 16, 2017, 9:13 pm | Link

I don’t think you’ll get much for $200 unless you share.

Try this site, as an example:

You might even get something right nearby! And it might be nice to have flat mates to hang out with?

• BobinOz October 16, 2017, 9:33 pm | Link

Tracy is quite right, you will be need to look at house sharing on that budget. Worth googling gumtree as well, people advertise rooms to let on there. Just go for anywhere as close as possible to where you need to go to keep travel costs down.

• Rahul Sinha October 17, 2017, 2:02 am | Link

Bob, can you suggest me some places nearby George Street. Good transport, food and other facilities. I have to plan my accommodation in advance.

• BobinOz October 17, 2017, 7:27 pm | Link

George Street is in the heart of the city, any suburb close to it will be close to all the amenities and almost certainly very near to public transport. Google Translink and you will be able to see the bus and train routes. I think your first task is to look into whereabouts you can get shared accommodation for the money you want to pay.

If you narrow that down to a few suburbs, let me know what they are and I’ll try to help you further.

• Victoria October 12, 2017, 6:03 am | Link

My husband got offered a job in Brisbane in the CBD. We are considering taking it but it does mean a move from Scotland to there. We would be coming over hopefully March on a 457 visa with our 3 year old son.
    What suburbs would you recommend that are no farther than a 45 minute commute and great for families. We would be renting with a budget of around 500-600 and hopefully a pool of affordable
    Thanks in advance ☺

• BobinOz October 13, 2017, 6:57 pm | Link

Well, I think you would be able to get all you want with your budget, including a pool. Places that spring to mind are The Gap, Kenmore and Kenmore Hills, and somebody spoke quite well of Keperra somewhere here in these comments.

When you say 45 minutes commute though, do you mean by car or public transport? It might be good if you could also give more information about what you want from a suburb, other than family friendly. Then maybe either I or someone else can offer more advice.

• Victoria October 13, 2017, 10:19 pm | Link

Hi thanks for your reply.
        That’s great about the budget 😊

Hubby currently walks 20 mins to train station and is then on that for 20 mins. I would probably say by public transport for the commute as I will probably be the one keeping the car.

To be honest I have no idea about suburbs and what we would like. I suppose somewhere that has easy access to shops and a few restaurants/cafes, a good school, friendly vibe, spacious, parks, safe. We aren’t big drinkers and with a 3 year old restaurants are normally a nightmare lol. I suppose an easy paced place if that makes sense 😊

• BobinOz October 16, 2017, 7:43 pm | Link

Thanks for the extra info. I don’t really know the suburbs north of the city well enough to advise, so hopefully somebody else will see your comment and help with that. As with most cities, the closer you get to it, the less spacious the suburb would be with fewer open green spaces. So not as kid friendly as somewhere further out.

A good compromise could be places like Indooroopilly, Chelmer, Graceville, Sherwood and Corinda. If you Google ‘Brisbane train map’ you will see them all in a row on the same train line. All of those places have a bit going on nearby in terms of restaurants and cafes. Indooroopilly is the busiest of them all, it has a big shopping centre as well. All are good for transport into the city. Be sure to study the flood maps though before committing to buying a house in these areas. Or any area in Brisbane.

Mount Gravatt is also worth a look, it’s on the train line and has been highly recommended elsewhere on this website somewhere in the comments. Keperra, also on the train line, has been given the thumbs up here by others. Further out is Bellbowrie and Moggill, that’s bus only to the city and will take between 40 minutes and an hour. There is a fast bus during peak which doesn’t stop everywhere which can do the journey in 35 minutes. These two are really family friendly suburbs, they are in a good school catchment area and very safe with lots of open green spaces and parks. It has a small shopping centre for the essentials, but you would need to go elsewhere for a big shopping mall.

Hope that helps, Bob

• Victoria October 16, 2017, 7:48 pm | Link

Thanks for getting back to me 😊
            That’s great I will definitely have a look at these areas, thank you for your help.