Help!This page offers you quick links to the most frequently asked questions, some of which also appear on my pages, which I recommend you read, called Migration Advice and Visas.

If you are looking to move to Australia, those two pages as well as the pages that are linked from them will help you a great deal.

Even with all this help though, the process is still quite daunting to navigate through. For that reason, many people want to ask me to help them directly; I simply cannot do that. Only MARA registered migration agents are able to assist people in this process and advise on visa options, so it would be illegal if I were to try and answer these kinds of questions.

For the full explanation, please see:

Here are some more FAQs:

Important Notice:

I try to answer as many comments as I can personally, but it has become impossible for me to respond to each one individually. If you have asked one of the above questions and not had a response, it is almost certainly because your question has been asked and answered many times before in the comments of one of the above linked pages.

Anybody asking questions about their personal situation in respect of visa options or eligibility to lodge will not be answered at all.

Please take the time to read the comments and answers on these pages to find the information you need.

Many thanks


Visa Assessment Service
{ 493 comments… add one }
  • Taher August 2, 2014, 8:13 pm |

    I got my skilled migration through an migration lawyer in 2011.I came here and have been residing here since then. I am living here as a permanent resident I am from india, if some one sues me in india will my residency be affected here?”

    • BobinOz August 4, 2014, 12:34 am |

      That’s not the question I can help you with.

  • Shrestha July 20, 2014, 2:05 am |

    I am Shrestha from Nepal, I have a tattoo on my chest, will it be any problem for me to try student visa. I wonder if you could give me some information? Thank you.

    • BobinOz July 21, 2014, 12:55 am |

      What does the tattoo say?

      Just kidding, no, it won’t be a problem.

  • lee pledger July 17, 2014, 10:49 pm |

    Hi Bob,

    I am looking to move to Australia with my company. I am fine in sorting the process of Visa etc…I have 2 questions.

    1) I see that you moved to Oz and had a 3 year old Daughter. I will be moving with 2 daughters aged 5 & 6. As we would not know many people, could you advise if state schools have some sort of wrap around service that we could use while we at work i.e 3.30 – 5.30 (dependent on school hours of course) and any idea on cost?

    2) Healthcare, I read online even though there is a health care agreement between Oz and the UK it is recommended that insurance is taken out, is that correct?

    Thanks Mate



    • BobinOz July 18, 2014, 2:03 pm |

      Hi Lee

      Yes, most schools (if not all) offer preschool and after-school care, just check with your local school to make sure they have that in place.

      As for healthcare, I think it is recommended to take out insurance and depending on what kind of visa you are coming on, it may be compulsory. You will need to check the terms of your specific visa and if it isn’t compulsory, then it’s all down to personal choice.

      Good luck, I hope it all goes well.


  • Woj July 17, 2014, 6:46 am |

    AHA, BTW – we will be looking to rent a small house..

    Once again, thanks in advance 🙂

    • BobinOz July 18, 2014, 1:31 pm |

      It depends on your savings Woj and also what your family outgoings are, but $60,000 isn’t a bad salary although it is behind the national average which is at around $70,000 I think.

      I can’t tell you what your lifestyle might be like or whether it would be better or worse than you have in Poland, but I can advise you to use the links in the above article to help you find out how much everything costs and the cost of renting a small house and I think you’ll find a few of the other links above very helpful.

      Good luck, Bob

      • wojtek July 18, 2014, 2:55 pm |

        Thanks a lot for the info 🙂 best regards!

  • Woj July 17, 2014, 6:42 am |

    Hi Bob

    I do have a question. Im an australian citizen. I was born in Poland, have moved to oz at age 6, moved back to POland at age 18, and have practically been here ever since then. This year I will be 40. And I miss home – Australia.

    Only problem. I have a great job here, my wife also has a pretty good job. We have two wonderfull kids aged 4 yrs, and 6mths. My kids, after me, have citizenship, my wife doesnt, but because of her situation (aussie husband, married 6yrs ago), permanent visa shouldnt ne a problem.

    Many people mite think why the heck would I want to leave, seeing as I do have a great job along witgh my wife (we are pretty cosey financially here), but I just think that Australia will have a lot more to offer for my kids (dont want to go too much into the political mumbo jumbo that is happening here in Poland, but to put it delicately, its not good). I would like to come back to Oz (preferably Perth or Queensland – beaches and weather), but do take into account that we will be living on a single salary. I remember prices in Oz from around 10 yrs back, has it changed much? gas, electricity, food etc? If we decide to come down, I would probably land a job around 60thousand per year from what I have googled (are the salaries before tax or in hand? If before, what kind of tax would it be and how much would be left for us?). Im really fighting a battle in my head as its a tuff call, packing the bags and taking the whole family to start from scratch…at age 40..

    Thanks, Woj.

  • nagi June 27, 2014, 8:31 am |

    Hi Bob,
    I have come across your site recently. It is so impressive and informative. Thanks a lot for your great effort.
    I have a query regarding Partner visa migration. I have applied for Offshore partner visa from Canada 3 months back and have submitted police clearance and medicals as per case officer request 2 months back. Till now i didnt hear any update from CO regarding my visa status.
    My spouse and kid are living in Australia now and we are expecting second kid in September.
    Is there any way to convey my situation/urgency to CO for faster action/decision on my visa?
    In case if decision for my partner visa is pending, what is the suitable visa that i have to apply to enter Australia and to stay with my family during delivery?
    Does my travel to Australia with suitable visa impact the decision on partner visa?


    • BobinOz June 29, 2014, 12:29 am |

      During this process Nagi you would probably have been assigned a Case Officer, I think in the circumstances you describe it would be quite reasonable of you to email or telephone your CO to explain the situation and ask if a decision is imminent.

      I can only speak from my experience, but the decision for us was made pretty swiftly after we provided police and medical records, so at the very least you should double check they have received what you have sent.

      Good luck, Bob

      • nagi July 17, 2014, 6:28 am |

        Thanks a lot for your help Bob.
        As per your suggestion, i have sent an email describing the situation to CO. Finally they have approved my partner visa.
        Now i am planning to travel Australia in August.I would like to know
        How is job market in Melbourne for software testing professionals with 8 yrs of experience?
        What is the easy way of getting job, i mean contract or permanant job?
        Any suggestions for better settlement in Australia

        Thanks in Advance

  • Saurabh June 22, 2014, 8:52 pm |

    found that too, just moved into a flatshare in Adelaide. Gumtree is an awesome website. your site is very lucky for me. I’m concentrating on Job hunt now.

    off to Rundle mall tomorrow.

    have a nice week.


  • Saurabh June 21, 2014, 12:22 am |

    Many thanks.

    I also wanted to write you a few days ago but then got skipped out of my mind.

    I’ve just landed in Adelaide.

    Immigartion process is so simple now, it took me 3 minutes to clear and exit the immigartion.

    Almost 3 weeks ago i opened the bank account too with westpac.

    The inspiration from your website and your posts has driven me this far, i’m going to be more focussed on a flatshare accomodation and then a decent job.

    Once again. Many thanks for the work you do.


    • BobinOz June 22, 2014, 7:56 pm |

      Glad to hear you have sorted out your bank, good choice. Hope you sought out a flat share soon, and find yourself a good job. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

      Cheers, Bob

  • Saurabh May 18, 2014, 4:03 am |


    It can never be your fault, you’ve done an excellent job already by spreading the awareness and your knowledge. I’m oz will have something in pocket for me too, I’m willing to work, can communicate properly, honest, IT guy, solid academics, ex-microsoft, and 11 yrs of exp, I’m taking a calculative risque of taking a chance.

    Also, now when I’ve booked my tickets too. I need to know what kind of cellphone connection I should buy..? I’ll pick one up from the airport itself, I’m planning to use my existing samsung galaxy S3.


    • BobinOz May 19, 2014, 2:29 pm |

      Depends what you want from your cellphone, Telstra are the national carrier and definitely have the best coverage but are easily the most expensive. I use Vodafone, they are significantly cheaper and the coverage isn’t bad.

      • BobinOz June 20, 2014, 9:49 pm |

        Well, that took much longer than a week didn’t it? 🙂

        Anyway, I now have my page about Banking, hope you find it helpful.

        Cheers, Bob

  • saurabh May 15, 2014, 6:44 pm |

    Great, you’re a true Genius. Please share your findings with all of us.

    Would that also cover the process of obtaining the ATO number before arriving Oz?

    Also, Considering I’ve over 11 yrs.’ of work Ex in IT and my previous employers were Microsoft, TATA, IBM, etc., what are my chances of landing into a decent job in Australia. Also, even though I’m starting at Adelaide however would like to know your idea about where are the max number of IT jobs in down under. I know its an open ended question, but who better than you can provide some insight on this?

    Yes, your blog has definitely inspired me to move down under, I was always in the favor of moving to Canada but this blog changed my mind.


    • BobinOz May 16, 2014, 3:54 pm |

      No, I don’t think so, I think you’ll have to wait till you get here before you can get an ATO number, although I don’t know that for sure.

      Adelaide, so I’m told and at the time of writing, has the highest unemployment rate after Hobart. I couldn’t tell you where all the IT jobs are, but if you check out my page about Getting a Job or a Sponsorship you can search for what it is that you do via the links to Australia’s top employment agencies to see what comes up and where.

      I hope Australia doesn’t disappoint you, otherwise it will be my fault 🙂

      Cheers, Bob

  • saurabh May 14, 2014, 9:20 pm |

    Hey Bob,

    Your blog is so inspiring, that after going through all the content here, I applied for the immigration, and I’ve got it too. I’m from India, and I’ll be landing down under in about a month from now. I’m starting from Adelaide, considering it has fairly easy going & less expensive life style I hope it’ll be a good starting point.

    I’ll start at flat share, and once I’ll land up in a decent job I’ll rent out a separate accommodation and my wife and son will also be joining me, I’m also going to move to another place if my job will require that.

    I need to know if I can open up a bank account before I come to that country? and which bank would you recommend, my research says CommBank is the right choice, what do you say?

    Many thanks for the work you do, you’re awesome.

    • BobinOz May 15, 2014, 4:59 pm |

      Hi Saurabh

      Thank you, I’m glad you like my blog. Looks like I may have actually inspired you to move here, I certainly hope you get to love this place is much as I do.

      Good question about opening a bank account, and good timing as well because I’m currently speaking to somebody who knows all about the various banks and we are in the process of pinning down which bank offers the easiest solution for those who want to open an account from abroad.

      I don’t know anything about CommBank, although that doesn’t mean they aren’t any good, but hopefully within the next week or so I will have finished my research and I’ll be able to give you my recommendation.

      Good luck, Bob

  • Paula April 2, 2014, 12:00 am |

    Hi Bob,

    Hope you’re well.

    My boyfriend is Australian and currently living with me in London on a de facto visa (I am a British citizen).

    We are hoping to move to Oz in a few years’ time and I would prefer to secure permanent residency before departing UK, via a skilled migration / points based visa (I am a qualified Accountant).

    Please could you advise if there is any way I could get extra points on the basis of my boyfriend being Australian?



    • BobinOz April 2, 2014, 1:31 pm |

      Hi Paula

      I’m no MARA agent, but if you are looking to move to Australia with your de facto Australian citizen partner, then you may be better off coming here on some kind of partner visas which is not points-based and which can, ultimately, lead to PR.

      If, on the other hand, you prefer to come here on a skills-based visa, I can’t answer your question, but my MARA agent could help you if you go through my Visa Assessment Service.

      Good luck, Bob

  • Aziz Naeem March 21, 2014, 5:01 am |

    Hi !
    I am very glad to read your answers.i need your help just to guide my how i can start my migration process. I am in saudia working as biomedical engineer.

  • Derrick Moore March 5, 2014, 12:50 am |

    Pretty sure I asked in the wrong place, but here we go!

    Hello everyone!

    Since the economy and the government hasn’t been so good here in the US lately, I’ve been thinking about moving to the AU.

    I am 22 going on to 23.

    So, in your opinion, what’s it like living in Australia?

    I have a wide range of skills. I can do welding, drafting and design/engineering, appliance repair, electronics repair and maintenance, website design and implementation, woodworking, TV/Video technology (run cameras, lighting, and editing video professionally), and labor (the standard stocking, groundskeeping and basic construction). However, I have no certificates that prove these skills except for TV/Video (excludes labor). With that being said, do they have apprenticeship programs?

    What about assistance, if necessary?

    Is the boat there stable (economics, job availabilities, ect), so to speak?

    How do I communicate with others there properly, what’s the ediquette ( I think I misspelled that…)?

    Are there jobs available?

    I’d like to start a business in the future, do they take well to that?

    Is, and why is, the thumbs up vulgar there? (Heard this on another blog, just curious…)

    I attend ITT Tech Online, will they make allowances for this or will I have to start school all over again?

    Sorry if I seem overwhelming, but I’d really like to know.

    Many thanks in advance!


    • Derrick Moore March 5, 2014, 1:04 am |

      I forgot to mention something important here…

      I may have a possible neurological condition, a possible heart issue (both due to genetics :/), and I am blind in my right eye. In my opinion, I don’t consider these disabilities, but annoyances, and I feel that I can handle almost any task that is thrown at me. However, because of this, most employers here in the states

      • Derrick Moore March 5, 2014, 1:24 am |

        *refuse or don’t want to hire me because of these issues. I have also been turned down a job because I have to be at school for a certain amount of time. Will I face these same issues in Australia?

        Will I be able to get decent health insurance there? Here in the States I have had no health insurance for some time, since adding me and my mother on my stepfather’s health plan penalized him an extra $100USD per person on top of the $300USD or so a week that he is already paying to the company where he works. And as far as I know, a large amount of hospitals will not accept “Obamacare”.

        I can tell you about these issues for years…

        Again, I apologise if this is a bit much I asked…


        • Derrick Moore March 5, 2014, 11:40 am |

          Another thing I forgot to add in my first post: I am currently working towards an Associates degree in Electronics Technology, with a Bachelor’s following right after.

          I am wanting to start a business that specializes in the design, manufacturing, and implementation of the next generation of electronics and vehicles. I am also wanting to break into the space industry.

          Okay! Hopefully I got everything covered! Apologies for making a mess!

          • BobinOz March 5, 2014, 4:11 pm |

            Hi Derrick, yes, lots of questions, totally overwhelming. I think you really need to spend some time reading some of the (over 1000) pages on this website, pretty much every subject you mention has been covered in one way or another, apart from breaking into the space industry.

            It would take me hours to answer you, and much of it has already been written, you just need to look.

            Good luck, Bob

  • Ana March 2, 2014, 6:36 am |

    My family got our Permanents residence visa over a year ago. We went to Australia to activate the visa but returned home to prepare for the move. Its been a little more than a year and we have not got the guts to make the move. Recently we learned that the Aussie dollar has lost its value and that unemployment is going up. Do you think is a good time to make the move. Shall we wait another year?

    I told my husband the best thing will be to find a job before we leave. But some people say this is impossible. I told my husband to contact a headhunter that will get him the job he needs, but he found some really bad reviews on the internet. Do you think finding a job before getting there is possible? Do you think a headhunter will be useful?
    Thanks for your opinion.

    • BobinOz March 4, 2014, 12:07 am |

      Have read this post, it will give you an idea of Jobs in Australia: A 2014 Update.

      Finding a job here before you make the move is quite hard, but not impossible. I can’t advise you whether to move now or wait, but I can suggest you consider buying the package on my page called How to Find a Sponsored Job in Australia, despite the title it is not specifically about finding a sponsored job, it will help you find any kind of job. It also lists some very helpful agencies that may be able to help you.

      Good luck,

  • Samantha Butler February 14, 2014, 2:58 am |

    Hi Bob

    Really enjoying your website and loved the 20 reasons you should move to Australia!

    I was wondering if the expenses for a car are the same over there as in the UK (tax, insurance, mot etc)? And if it all works the same over there? I already have a full UK licence so from what I’ve read it sounds like I wouldn’t have to resit my test and go through that lengthy process. I have looked through all the car posts I can find and I haven’t seen anything so I hope I haven’t missed it somehow.

    Many thanks!


    • BobinOz February 15, 2014, 9:18 pm |

      Hi Samantha,

      If you use my search function (towards the top on the right hand side) and search for things like buying a second-hand car in Australia, CTP, car rego and the cost of petrol, you should find some useful posts.

      In a nutshell though, petrol is cheaper but buying a second-hand car is much more expensive. RFL as you would know it is called rego here, because registration is too long a word to say in one go. Just as in the UK now, our rego goes up in price the bigger the car but ours also includes some basic insurance, called CTP.

      Overall, my guess is that costs are about the same and yes, you should be able to simply show your full UK licence and get instantly issued with an Australian licence, after paying a fee, of course.

      Cheers, Bob

  • Naveed Adnan February 13, 2014, 9:56 pm |

    Hi Bob,

    I am perfectly aware of the fact that you are not a MARA agent. So, I was hoping you could give me some general advice.

    I come from a country called Bangladesh, I am pretty sure you don’t know whether it exists or not. But I assure you it does.

    I have completed undergraduate studies with a first class in economics, 26 years of age. I have taken the Ielts exam and have received 8 and above in all the four bandswith an aggregate score of 8.5.

    I am coming to australia to do my masters in accounting in UniSA this june and upon completition I intend to apply for pr under the gsm category.

    I happen to have four years teaching experience in teaching english and speech development back here in my home country. Can I apply for pr under the teacher category on the SOL.? Even if I have an undergrad in econ I happen to have a three year solid work experience in the last four years ,, withall the necessary documentation to support my claim.

    I thank you for your time.

    Kind regards

    • BobinOz February 15, 2014, 12:39 am |

      And as I am not a MARA agent, simply not qualified to answer this question. This isn’t a general question Naveed, it’s a specific question about visas and you really do need to be asking this of a MARA registered agent.

  • Umadevi January 29, 2014, 4:47 pm |

    My daughter is a Registered Nurse in India and also completed her
    australian registration as an RN and also got assessed. (In her
    assessment letter, they have not mentioned anything about the type of
    IELTS to be taken to get the maximum score of 20 points for the
    English langauge.) To apply for the skill select she has 55 points to
    her credit. (Age : 30 + Qualification : 15 + IELTS : 10)
    In order to get the minimum of 60 points she has been appearing for
    IELTS to get 8 in each band in a single sitting. She is getting 8.5 or
    9 in all the bands but not in one sitting. (She has already scored overall 8.5 band with a minimum of 7.5 in each band – a couple of months old result under Academic module of IELTS.) All these time she has been taking IELTS under Academic module. My question to you is : whether she should take Academic module ONLY to get extra 10 points for the english language for the purpose of immigration or the General module is also acceptable.
    A line in reply is highly appreciated. Thank you,

    • BobinOz January 30, 2014, 4:33 pm |

      I can’t answer your precise question, I’m not a MARA agent and don’t know all the rules. But if your daughter needs help passing her IELTS, may I suggest How to Pass IELTS.

      It’s a great book, hope it helps.

      Cheers, Bob

  • Andy January 12, 2014, 11:22 am |


    If i am applying for a skilled independent visa subclass 189, can my partner work whilst over in Perth ?
    Also if she were to fall pregnant would this be ok – would we be shown the door ?
    How much should i roughly expect to spend, i have set aside £10,000 – after reading your info im aware this isnt an awful lot to do what id like, so am happy to leave my bulk of items behind and start of with excess baggage and in time ship it over as funds become available, this may also apply for the dog 🙁 so really we would be paying for our flights, visas, initial start up costs of life in oz ( we would be staying with family until we were really organised ) what are your initail thoughts ?!



    • BobinOz January 13, 2014, 3:33 pm |

      Here’s what I think, but do bear in mind I am not a MARA agent and don’t know all the rules, so you may want to get a second opinion.

      Yes, your partner will be able to work here, I’m pretty sure of that. Not sure what all the implications are if she were to fall pregnant, but I am pretty sure being sent home isn’t one of them. Skilled Independent visa is classed, I think, as a permanent residency visa and as such your offspring may even, if born in this country, be classed as an Australian national.

      Do check that though.

      Money is tight though with just £10,000, you will need to start work pretty fast otherwise you will be eating into those savings very quickly.

      Good luck, Bob

      • Andy January 14, 2014, 1:55 am |


        Thanks, that info has been very helpful. I know we are on a very very tight budget, as that £10,000 is to be used for flights, visas, then start up life ie. car, first month of bills etc … im very hopeful that this will be do able !!

        Iv worked out that roughly for a family of 3, we would be looking at spending 3000 aus dollars for rent,water, gas/elec etc … would you see this as accurate … or anywhere close to it ?

        Thank you

        • BobinOz January 14, 2014, 10:42 pm |

          People’s budgets are always difficult to predict, I’m not sure exactly what you are including in that. $3000 would be the lower end (in my view) for any family to get by, but it’s not impossible. Be prepared, just in case, that it might go up to $4000 or maybe even $5000 depending on how much you eat, drink, go out, smoke, drive etc

  • Kumar January 10, 2014, 4:28 am |

    I recently submitted my documents on ACS website for the Australian Skill Select evaluation and awaiting the result. I am curious to know what happens in the Skill Select evaluation process, will the department contact my currently/previous Employers? Any comments on how/what happens during the Skill Select evaluation would be highly appreciated.


    • BobinOz January 10, 2014, 2:37 pm |

      I don’t really know precisely what they do, I suspect it is different for everyone. Each case would be dealt with individually and I suspect questions/checks they do depend on the information they have before them.

      Good luck with your evaluation. Bob

  • Marlow December 5, 2013, 2:06 am |

    I’m a 24 year old college student. I’m very interested in moving to Australia at some point in my life (the sooner the better!) I’m currently majoring in biology in the U.S. and am in my sophomore year. I haven’t quite decided what field I would like to go into yet.
    My boyfriend is finishing up his B.S. in biology next semester and is hoping to go to medical school to become a doctor. I don’t have the patience or discipline to try to become a doctor, but I am seriously considering something in the medical profession.
    The university I’m at now has a very difficult and respectable nursing program that I have thought about getting into, but I would need to change my major as soon as possible as to not waste anymore time or credit hours. As I was reading your post about Australia being in need of doctors and nurses, I began considering the transfer again.
    I looked at the health programs my school offers and there is an associates degree for dental hygiene as well as for nursing RN that I would be able to complete within a year. Would having an associates degree be good enough to possibly qualify me for residency within Australia? Or would I more than likely be required to receive a bachelors degree?
    Obviously I understand that the more education or experience, the better my chances of being granted these goals, but like I stated earlier, the sooner, the better. Moving to Australia is one of my biggest goals in life.
    Thanks for all of your information. I hope you are enjoying your Aussie lifestyle!

    • BobinOz December 5, 2013, 3:02 pm |

      Hi Marlow

      You really need to read my page about Doctors in Australia. Yes, there has been a shortage of doctors in the past, currently though it isn’t so bad.

      The page I have sent you to is monitored by Paul Brooks, he is an expert in this field. Please read all of the comments that he has answered as well as the post, you will get a lot of information.

      Particularly, at the moment, it’s very difficult to get a job as a GP here in Australia unless you trained in either UK, Ireland or New Zealand. Sorry that may not be what you want to hear, but it’s best that you know it now.

      Things might change of course, but then again they might not.

      Cheers, Bob

  • Emma October 17, 2013, 8:57 am |

    My company are sponsoring me as a medical administrator, the application is gone in. Now my case officer has requested previous work experience in medical admin area. Since the new changes this is now at least 5 years experience. I am Irish and have 4 years part time medical secretary experience but the problem is I cannot in any one contact my past employer from here to get it. What am I going to do, how can I prove that I worked here? I don’t have old payslips or contract. Please help I am extremely worried, Thank you.

    • BobinOz October 17, 2013, 2:22 pm |

      Sorry Emma, I’m really not sure what you can do and I’m not really sure why you say it is not possible to contact your past employer. If they have gone out of business or something, maybe you need to explain that to the case officer.

      I’m not a MARA agent though, so I really don’t know what the procedure is here. Maybe you need to speak to an expert about this. Good luck, Bob

  • Michael October 5, 2013, 3:25 pm |

    I am wondering if I can get accepted for a position in Australia as a skilled migrant if the job I have experience is on the list and I can pass an assessment. I have 3 years of great work experience in the computer engineering field, though I do not have a Bachelor’s degree. I do, however, have a 1 year diploma in Audio Engineering. I am just wondering if proper degrees are required or if they overlook it with work experience. Thank you so much.

    • BobinOz October 7, 2013, 6:43 pm |

      If you have a skill that is in demand but you do not have specific qualifications, then I believe you can get a Skills Assessment done through the relevant authority and if you pass this assessment then that, effectively, means you are qualified to apply for positions in that industry.

  • Brittany October 5, 2013, 3:18 pm |

    Hello there! Great blog!! I was wondering, if you get a visa based on being a skilled worker/migrant (like your wife did), then do you have to locate a job before getting approved, or do you get you visa approved, get to move and deal with the job hunt there? Thanks!

    • BobinOz October 7, 2013, 6:41 pm |

      That depends which visa you apply for Brittany, if you go for the type of visa you get through a job sponsorship, then as soon as you arrive you will start to work in that job and in that specific area. If you apply for the kind of visa that gives you Permanent Residency straight away, you can live where ever you choose and decide who you work for when you get here.

      Hope that helps, cheers, Bob

  • maya September 23, 2013, 11:25 pm |

    Hi bob,
    I’m a post graduate nurse did my masters in mental health nursing, also I’m a fresher , I have one year clinical experience after my bsc, can I migrate to AAustralia for nursing related jobs.

  • Sarah September 21, 2013, 11:43 pm |

    Hi Bob! Hope you are well. I would like to ask – is there much racism in Australia? I am British, my husband is Turkish and we have 2 children of 4 and 6 of dual citizenship (UK and Turkey) He does speak good English and is a blacksmith and also sells solar energy systems which are also popular here in Turkey. I like the idea of moving to a place like Oz that would offer us a similar lifestyle, but with a better education system, but we have heard that the locals don’t always take kindly to “foreigners”. Is this true? many thanks in advance 😉

    • christian gilbride September 22, 2013, 4:54 am |

      Hi sarah, you will find australia far more tolerant than the uk, lets face it, oz is made from the foundations of people like us, i moved out here two years ago and have found pockets of racism etc but on the whole its a very giving society, people come from all walks of life and the most important thing here is you are not a scrounger, if you decide to move to australia and work hard it will offer you a most wonderful life, your husband sounds like a good and honest man as do you and yours, if you want a life without the BS this is the place, my wife and children have never looked back and as a dad i think i made the best decision for us all, i hope that your journey is as magical as ours xxx

      • BobinOz September 22, 2013, 10:13 pm |

        Christian has given you a very good answer Sarah (thanks Christian), this country is full of immigrants and for the most part we all get on very well with each other and Aussies quite like us too. If you are fair and honest with people, I’m pretty sure that you’ll get that back. Like Christian, moving here has been one of the best decisions I’ve made, not just for me but also for my daughter.

        You might find this post interesting, the comments are also worth reading, see Is Australia Racist.

        Good luck, hope to see you here soon.


  • Helen September 18, 2013, 12:32 pm |

    Bob, just after some clarification. The immigration website is so confusing. I have 5 years CSI experience and an already in Australia on my WHV currently doing my mandatory 3 month regional work towards my second year. Unfortunately CSI is not a skill Australia requires and even though Victoria police wanted to give me a job as a fingerprint officer they could not offer a sponsorship. Am I right In assuming that even if I completed my second year WHV I would still need a sponsorship to apply for a permanent visa?

    • BobinOz September 18, 2013, 4:19 pm |

      That is possibly the case Helen, but I couldn’t tell you for sure, there are lots of different routes into Australia. If you want a precise answer, you should consider going through my Visa Assessment Service, my MARA agent would be able to explain exactly what your options might be.

      Cheers, Bob

      • Helen September 18, 2013, 4:22 pm |

        Thank you! They don’t make it easy huh?

        • BobinOz September 19, 2013, 9:05 pm |

          No, I’m afraid they don’t.

  • Sushma September 9, 2013, 3:05 pm |

    Dear Bob,
    How are you? I have few questions to clarify from you. I am a 32 year old single woman, and I wish to move to Australia. I will be getting a job offer from a company in Australia in October too. I do qualify the points in australian immigration calculator as well. Once I get the offer letter in hand, what are the steps I need to take to apply for Australian PR. Kindly direct me in the right direction.
    Thanks in advance.


    • BobinOz September 9, 2013, 11:58 pm |

      I’m really not qualified to offer this kind of advice Suzy, I’m not a migration agent. Even if I were, I could not advise you correctly without knowing all of your circumstances completely.

      On that basis, I simply can’t answer you, but if you want a professional opinion and written report on exactly how you should proceed best, then you need to go through my very thorough Visa Assessment Service.

      Good luck, Bob

  • Lilly September 1, 2013, 9:03 pm |

    Hi Bob,

    I’m currently on a student visa which expires March next year. I have been here 5,5 years studying and have met the love of my life. He is an australian citizen and we are getting married February next year.

    My question is when should i start applying for a PR?
    Should I start now or just wait until we’re married?
    If i start now, I wouldn’t have all the legal documents of our marriage yet.
    but if i wait till next year, that doesn’t leave me much time before my current visa runs out. is that a problem or are they very prompt with issuing bridging visas?

    How much do bridging and/or PR visas cost?

    Thank you for your time and help.

    • BobinOz September 2, 2013, 1:50 pm |

      Hi Lilly

      I can’t actually answer these questions, I’m not qualified. All I think I know is that you need to start the process now and you probably need to find out about partner visas, or maybe it’s called the prospective marriage visa, something like that.

      If you need professional help, my MARA agent could assist you, you’ll find a link to his service in the above article.

      Cheers, Bob

  • Amra August 13, 2013, 6:43 am |

    Hello I need to ask a question.I am an Australian citizen,and I live now in Bosnia and Hercegovina.I want to go back to Australia and take my boyfriend with me.Now I know what visa to apply for,but my main question is does he need a sponosor? Or he can apply without anyone to sponsor him.And if he does need one,how much does the sponsorship cost? Please if you can help me I would be really thankfull.

    • BobinOz August 14, 2013, 12:15 am |

      I’m not a MARA agent, so I don’t know all the rules, but I’m pretty sure your boyfriend does not need a sponsor. I assume you will be applying under the partner visa? So no, I really don’t think he needs a sponsor, but do get a second opinion from someone who does know if you. Cheers, Bob

  • Ali July 23, 2013, 12:14 pm |

    I wanna move to Australia
    Am from syria and I live now in UK but the only passport I have is Syrian I thing it will be hard for me to move there , however I spoke to few people as they said it gonna be easy from UK because am working here and everything , but I would love to have any help for moving to Australia as I love it and am sure I’ll have more chance to grow up there

    • BobinOz July 23, 2013, 4:44 pm |

      Best place to start for you would be my page about Visas. Good luck!

  • Jared Lutmer July 22, 2013, 3:30 am |

    Aloha Bob In OZ!

    I’m planning on moving to Byron bay from Hawaii US and have just been granted an electronic work visa good for 1 year. I was wondering if you think it would be difficult to find work there being from the U.S. and it being such a small little tourist town?

    • BobinOz July 22, 2013, 6:26 pm |

      I couldn’t tell you what the work situation is like in Byron Bay, but you might be interested in reading my article about WHV as it does have some links to finding work.

  • John July 11, 2013, 3:27 am |

    Hi Bob,

    This is a slightly different tack as I have absolutely no desire to live in Oz but know someone who has moved there and is subsequently annoying a lot of people back in the UK with his inane ramblings about his new home. This person has a proven track record of fantasy and lie telling so I was wondering if it could be possible that he is earning £56000 a year, making meals in an old folks home. Im stressing here that the claim is in English money which looking at some of the entries on your site would have him earning significantly more than some seemingly far better jobs on the employment scale. Can you help me smoke this Walter Mittee out?

    • BobinOz July 12, 2013, 2:11 pm |

      Why would you let something like this stress you out? Anyway, I’m glad you posted this question on my page “questions I can’t answer”, because guess what?

      Yep, that’s right 🙂

      • John July 20, 2013, 6:07 am |

        No stress at all mate, its been a sport of mine for over 20 years amusing myself with this imbecile. Others find his banter hard to accept. Its still a simple enough question re what people earn in the utopia you all obviously live in. One wonders how a bankrupt liability who’s been sacked from every job he’s ever had can do so well in Oz May well give an indication of how high the bar is set. All the best to you and your magnificent blog

        • BobinOz July 22, 2013, 4:37 pm |

          Salaries are much higher here in our obvious utopia john, and if you visit this page…


          and click on the link to MyCareer found in the opening paragraphs, you will be able to search by specific employment sector and find the average as well as lowest and highest salaries paid for that line of work. You will be pleasantly surprised (or wound up) to find that the average salary in the hospitality sector is (as at today’s date) $57,475 a year. So he may not be fibbing after all.

          Hope that helps, Bob

          • John July 29, 2013, 2:39 am |

            Yes, I did look at some of your blog in an attempt to get the original question answered before having to harass you in person. Ive since had some friends who live abroad discuss this with me and their holiday trip to Oz where the general cost of living things meant they did significantly less with their time.
            Here of course we have a similar system underpinned by blinding greed of every decision maker, they get the high consumer prices bit but havent quite embraced the higher wages part. Great joy!!!!!.

            That said still wont be joining you any time soon.

  • Angela July 3, 2013, 3:56 am |

    Hi there, my husband and I are from Scotland and wish to move to the Northern Territory to be with family. If my partner was sponsored to work over there, would myself and our two sons need to apply for separate visas or would we be added to his sponsorship? Many thanks 🙂

    • BobinOz July 3, 2013, 11:37 pm |


      If your husband qualifies for a sponsorship, then you and your sons will qualify to come here with him, as long as your sons are under 18 years of age. Thanks, Bob.

  • Tom ricketts June 24, 2013, 6:26 am |

    Hello Bob, my family and I are currently looking to emigrate to New South Wales but are wondering what the healthcare is like there as my eldest son is disabled and currently has treatment under the NHS back in the UK. I would be grateful if you could give us any information on whether he would still be able to recieve treatment under Medicare or would it have to be all private? Thanks for your time, Tom Ricketts.

    • BobinOz June 24, 2013, 9:47 pm |

      These are not questions I can answer I’m afraid Tom, firstly I have no idea what the health care is like in NSW, I don’t live there. Secondly, I suspect that if you come here on any kind of temporary or permanent visa and not as an Australian citizen, then you would need to pay for your own medical expenses.

      That’s only my guess, I don’t know for sure, so you would need to check this with somebody (like a MARA registered migration agent) who does know the answer for sure.

      Good luck!


  • Pat Costello June 23, 2013, 11:24 am |

    My kids are interested in moving to Australia from the USA.
    My question is whether it would help towards immigration if they went to a university in Australia as opposed to getting an education in America and then trying to immigrate.
    My daughter has designs on being a Dr and my son an engineer.
    Any comment would be much appreciated. Thank you, Pat

    • BobinOz June 24, 2013, 12:15 am |

      Yes, I believe it would. Studying here in Australia gives potential applicants extra points somewhere along the line, but my MARA agent knows more about that than I do.

      You can find out more about the points system on my Points Calculator page.

      Thanks, Bob

  • clare sadler May 30, 2013, 5:59 am |

    Hello Bob,

    Well I am not sure you are going to be able to help in any way, but I am fairly desperate and there is no harm in asking!!! I am 31 and British ,looking at using my second year working holiday visa next year, I dont have a particular profession or have any certain skill sets but know that I want to live in Australia permanantly, not just for one year!! I have already done my first year whv!! Is it impossible to get sponsorship/residency, if you dont have a skill??????

    I would be really thankful for any help or advice,

    Thank you,


    • BobinOz May 30, 2013, 1:58 pm |

      Hi Clare

      Firstly, I do not think you will get a second WHV, at 31 you are now just outside the age limit and people do not usually get a second WHV unless they did satisfy certain criteria during their first WHV.

      It’s hard to get a job sponsorship without a skill, but I wouldn’t say it’s totally impossible. There are other pathways into Australia, if you want to explore any possibilities that might be available to you, I suggest you consider going through my Visa Assessment Service.



  • Anas May 28, 2013, 8:23 pm |

    Hi bob
    Thanks for your great website
    I’m a doctor from syria and i would like to move to australia for Specialization and work.
    I’ve already know that first step stands for IELTS for 7 or more point, then the AMC exam. But what about clinical exam is there an alternative to it ( working in rural areas for one year or something )
    And what about the visa, when i can get it, and are there any difficulties for syrian citizens ..
    Thanx bob

    • BobinOz May 28, 2013, 9:24 pm |

      Hi Anas

      Syria is not on the category 1 list so unless you actually received your training in a different country, I think you might find the process to be quite tricky.

      There is more information on my page about Doctors in Australia, hope that helps.

      Thanks, Bob

  • Francis May 24, 2013, 1:44 pm |

    Hi Bob,

    I couldn’t find info on banking. Which bank do you recommend? Is there a monthly fee to maintain an account? Will having a minimum amount of amount waive account fees? Here in Canada, for primary checking accounts, $2000 is the minimum to waive the fees. Looking forward to learning more.

    • BobinOz May 24, 2013, 7:40 pm |

      Hi Francis

      I haven’t written a post recommending a bank, or detailing the fees, these things change with the wind so I have stayed away.

      If you want my off the top of my head tip, I would take a good look at Bankwest if I were you, I do my business banking with them and I don’t pay any fees, so maybe they do something similar for personal accounts.



  • Rui May 21, 2013, 9:11 am |

    Hi, we are a couple of architects and we are interested in traveling to Australia to improve our English. A part search a temporary job, we want to go to a city where we have opportunities in our area, we doubt is between Perth, Brisbane and Melbourne. Can you give any advice?. Thank you very much for your help and for your blog, is helpful.

    • BobinOz May 21, 2013, 2:52 pm |

      Hi Rui

      Check out this page about Student Visas, you will be able to download a form, put some details in and my student visa expert will be able to advise you on all of that, based on your info.



  • Charlotte May 19, 2013, 8:06 pm |

    Both me and my partner want to move permanently to Australia, we live in the uk,he has family out in Melbourne aunt uncle and cousins. He is a builder plasterer and has been for 12 years and served in the forces before, he is 43. I have various qualifications college Btec national diploma in fashion design and a ba honours in fashion design also from university, but for the past 7 years I have been working as a registered tattooist and its my chosen profession, I am 33, where do we stand in our chances of getting permanent residency, I don’t think he would have a problem as of his trade and family could work as sponsors. But I’m a bit of a grey area it would seem, can u help?
    Many thanks
    Charlotte. Xx

    • BobinOz May 19, 2013, 8:24 pm |

      You need a professional to look at all of your details Charlotte, that would be the best way for you and your partner to find out how to proceed. If you can prove that you and your partner have lived together as man and wife for more than 12 months, then you can come here on the same application. That means if your partner qualifies, you qualify with him.

      I highly recommend my resident MARA migration agent, so if you do want help, check out my Visa Assessment Service.

      Good luck!


  • Dawson May 16, 2013, 12:55 pm |

    Hello bob,

    I have another question for you! I don’t know if this has been asked but I have seen and heard of the many poisonous animals that live there and are “common” stuff
    Like the redback and huntsman spiders, snakes, drop bears, box jellyfish and I was wondering if it is a problem there? What I can do to prevent it or is it something I just get use too. How common some of those things are and anything else I might need to know, even comparing to the U.S.! Thanks so much I appreciate all you do!


  • Bob May 16, 2013, 7:16 am |

    Hi Bob

    My skills assessment is gone to the ACS for evaluation. The Mara wants to know if I want to proceed (and pay for) with the next step , i.e. the EOI and State Nomination process in order to speed things up. What I was wondering is, would it really speed things up? I will have to wait a couple of months for the Australian Computer Society to make their decision anyway.


    • BobinOz May 16, 2013, 3:09 pm |

      I think that’s a question you need to ask your MARA agent, he has all of your details and knows everything about your case, if anyone knows the answer, it’s him.

      I am not a MARA agent, but I have heard that it’s best to have all of your paperwork in place before going to the EOI process, so maybe that’s a question you need to ask your MARA agent. I have a post on this subject, check out Australian Visas and Expression Of Interest (EOI): Caution!.



  • Michael May 15, 2013, 4:29 am |

    I would like to thank you for creating a great venue for discussion & education!
    I’m just starting my quest to end up over there & your site might be the best for information available.
    Looking forward to more….

  • Dawson May 1, 2013, 2:15 pm |

    Hey bob I have a quick question for you, I am currently 16 years old and I have fallen in love with everything I’ve heard about Australia! I livein America and in the near future obviously I’d like to go through the immigration process and potentially make the transition. Is there anything I could or should be doing now besides daydreaming about it? Thanks for all you do!


    • BobinOz May 2, 2013, 12:33 am |

      Australian immigration dept. loves people with good skills and especially if they have a degree from University, so that’s what I would be concentrating on. Also, save up at least $5000 by the time you are 18 and then you can come here on a work/play visa the 12 months to see what it’s really like.

      Hope it all works out for you, cheers, Bob

  • BIJOY April 29, 2013, 6:41 pm |

    Dear BobinOz

    I am preparing to submit my visa application (provisional 489) and plan to move SA (SA sponsered) if visa granted.But I mentioned in my EOI that,my family is not coming with me.I did that becuase this is provisional visa and I thought i could include family once i setteld there.
    Is it possible to include my family when i submit visa application now where in my EOI I didnot mention that.
    Please advice.I prepare my application myself.

    Thanks and best regards,


    • BobinOz April 29, 2013, 9:26 pm |

      Sorry, but this is one of those questions I just can’t answer, I’m not qualified. This is why many people do choose to use an agent, it’s easy to make mistakes in this process, as you have found out.



  • Mysha April 25, 2013, 6:54 pm |

    Hello bob. I found your website very helpful. I am a doctor recently graduated from Bangladesh. I am thinking of training in singapore since you said its one of the ways to get into category 1 for working as a GP in Australia. Can u please tell me how many years of training is required in Singapore and also if i qualify in category 1, do i have cahnces of getting a job in regional Australia or in the cities? Please let me knw. Thanks a ton!

    • BobinOz April 25, 2013, 10:29 pm |

      No, sorry, I can’t. I have no idea how long you would need to train and at the moment (April 2013), nurses in Australia aren’t as big a shortage as they were a couple of years ago. It’s a changing target, but it’s also something I am not an expert in, so I would get in touch with a trustworthy nursing recruitment agency to find out the latest information.

  • Sian April 25, 2013, 4:52 am |

    Hi bob,
    I am wondering if you could help, We are in the early stages of getting a visa and we have heard that you need to pay bond to the government if we are bringing our life savings with us, is this true and if so how much? Your site is fab by the way lots of great advice! Hope to hear from you

    • BobinOz April 25, 2013, 10:10 pm |

      Hi Sian

      I’ve not heard of this before, but that isn’t to say that it’s not true. When we moved here, we did pay a bond to the government, but that was for a different reason. At the time, it gave us five extra points and frankly, it turned out to be a terrific investment.

      The Australian government only kept our money for one year, and when we got it back, it was +7% and, if I remember correctly, we got some dividends on the way.

      I’m not suggesting you would get that, at the time interest rates here were a bit higher, I think.

      All I’m saying is, don’t be too scared of doing it, but I would also suggest you find out from a qualified person, a MARA agent, to see if you really have to do this.



      • Sian April 25, 2013, 11:26 pm |

        Hi, thanks for getting back to me! Really appreciate your advice, I will get in touch with our agent to be sure! I have a couple more questions of you don’t mind, it’s just we have recently been told that tax on your wages is about 50 % more than UK, is this true? And I promise this is the last one, is it true that there aren’t as many jobs as there was, as Australia could be facing a recession like us back home? Just a friend of a friend lives out there and we have been told through the grapevine that it isn’t as easy to get jobs as it would have been in the past ( my husband is a mechanic) just thought I would get ur take on both pls? Thanks

        • BobinOz April 26, 2013, 4:47 pm |

          It’s probably true to say that there aren’t as many jobs around right now as there were, say, in 2007 – 2010, but I certainly wouldn’t say that we are heading into a recession as currently being experienced in the UK, USA and a good deal of Europe.

          Australia’s economy is still going pretty good.

          As for tax, check out this post…

          https://www.bobinoz.com/blog/2761/cost-of-living-in-australia-income-tax-rates/ and then http://www.ato.gov.au/content/12333.htm for the current and up-to-date Australian tax bands.



          • Sian April 26, 2013, 5:34 pm |

            Thanks for the great advice and for taking the time to get back to me!

  • Glyn April 22, 2013, 5:04 am |

    Hi Bob

    Got my working holiday visa my flight is booked and I have sufficient funds to live with, I will be staying with my cousin who has lived there for 26 years until I get settled. What is the best way for me to stay as a permanent resident in Melbourne after my working holiday visa ?

  • Woj April 17, 2013, 5:55 pm |

    Hi Bob

    I am an australian citizen (have lived in Australia from age 6 – 18). I plan to move back to Australia with my wife and small daughter in about two years (I will be finishing work with the company I am with at the moment). When we move down, I know that at the beginning it mkight be tough financially before I find work. Im trying to put away money at the moment, but have ni idea how much I can manage to put aside for the trip (not easy living here in Poland). After we come down, will I be able to receive financial support for my wife and daughter, even though my wife is not an australian citizen? Also, what kind of payment can I expect to receive in the time when I will be looking for a job (daughter then will be around 5 years old).

    Thanks ,

    • BobinOz April 18, 2013, 12:13 am |

      That’s not something I can help you with Woj, you will need to register with Centrelink and they will decide if you are eligible for financial support or not, although I think you would certainly qualify for child assistance.

      That’s all I know.



      • wojtek April 18, 2013, 1:36 am |

        Thanks Bob, I will register with Centrelink and see what info I can get from them!


Cancel reply

Leave a Comment

If your comment doesn’t get answered, find out why…..
FAQs and Comment Policy.