We interrupt this blog about life in Australia to bring you a cute little fluffy dog story. But don’t worry, it’s all going to be delivered as if it was a serious cost comparison between Australia and the UK about buying a puppy.
So that’s all right then, isn’t it?
As regular readers will know, we are dog loving people here in the BobinOz family. So it was a very sad day for us indeed when, just about 10 months ago, we lost our dear old friend Baggy, the chocolate Labrador.
But we all felt the time was now right to delve back into the dog buying market, and today we drove about 15 kilometres north of the city to pick up our new puppy.
Please welcome Hippy, our little yellow Labrador, who is just 6 1/2 weeks old…
The only problem we have to overcome somehow is that we already have two cats, Coco and Remy…
Obviously I can’t show you a picture of Remy killing things, this is a family blog. But I can assure you the cat is slightly psychotic, something he officially confirmed when he attacked our friends German Shepherd dog about a month ago.
Strangely, since we introduced Hippy into our home a few hours ago, Coco has had an inquisitive look, but Remy is doing his best to avoid her. When Hippy wandered into their paths, under our watchful eyes, both cats arched up, hair standing on end, but backed off.
Maybe they are smart enough to realise that, being as we brought this dog into the house as opposed to somebody else, that it is our dog. Maybe they’re smart enough to realise that if they attack her, they might just end up looking for new lodgings.
Maybe they are smart enough to realise we really are dog lovers in the BobinOz family. So maybe, eventually, all three of them will learn to live in harmony.
I live in hope. Okay, time to get this blog back on track.
The Cost of a Labrador Puppy: Australia and UK Compared
So, back to the serious business of life in Australia and what it’s really like to buy a puppy here.
Mrs BobinOz did the research, here’s how much a Labrador puppy costs in Australia…
- $350 was cheapest, but that was for a four-month-old puppy.
- $500 bought you a puppy from a “puppy farm” sort of supplier. Kind of bulk breeders.
- $650 seem to be the going rate for privately bread Labrador puppies, and that’s where we got ours from.
- $900 – $1500 was the cost of a pedigree puppy. Ouch!
And now the cost of buying a Labrador puppy in the UK; I did this research…
- £150 was the cheapest; no photo was supplied though, when every other seller did. Maybe a warning sign? That was out of Exchange and Mart, the U.K.’s equivalent to Gumtree or Trading Post.
- £370 – £425, according to a couple of adverts, buys a pedigree Labrador.
- £495 – £550 seemed to be the most common price point with no mention of pedigree.
So, who is the cheapest? Does it really matter?
What’s that whimpering sound?
Hippy? Hippy! Got to go….