It’s a strange thought, I know. Especially from someone like myself who, by my own admission, is probably one of the least observant people in the world.
Mind you, it has taken me almost 3 and a half years to notice. So, here’s the thought.
“Not much wallpaper around these parts, is there?”
- Wallpaperdirect – ‘Buy wallpaper online’ comes top.
- Modern Wallpaper – Graham & Brown offer the most design driven modern wallpaper on the market.
- Cole and Son (Wallpapers) Ltd – Manufacturers of over 1500 wallpapers.
- John Lewis Wallpaper – Revamp your room with our wide range of designer wallpaper.
- Buy Wallpaper from Homebase – Your online store for Decorating.
And that’s just the top five results. From page one you can also access Osborne & Little wallpapers, HousetoHome wallpapers, Selectwallpapers, Laura Ashley wallpapers, Mydeco wallpapers, Swarovski Elements, Homebase, Decorate4less, Indoorliving and Sandersons wallpapers.
That’s a lot of wallpapers!
Now, I’ve been in quite a few houses here in Australia and I’ve never seen wallpaper hanging on the walls of any of them. Not one! But then, as aforementioned, I’m not very observant.
So I asked Mrs BobinOz if she’s seen any wallpaper in any house anywhere here in Australia?
“No.” She said.
Has she seen a wallpaper shop anywhere here in Australia?
“No.” She said. Adding that it was a strange question.
Yes, I know, that’s why I started this post with “it’s a strange thought”.
But wallpaper shops do exist here in Australia.
A similar search for ‘wallpaper’ in Google.com.au reveals…
- Wallpaper.net.au – comes top, but it’s Free Wallpapers, Mobile Wallpapers & Mobile Ringtones.
Of course, yes, those pretty pictures you can put on your iPhone are also called wallpapers. The fact that it comes top here in Australia kind of proves my point. But elsewhere on page 1 in Google Australia you will also find…
- Vision Wallcoverings – They sell wallpaper.
- WallPaperShop – They have the tagline ‘Just wallpaper one wall to make that perfect statement’ – Is that desperation to flog a bit of wallpaper?
- Wallpapers Online – Australia’s only wallpaper. (Well, no, they’re not the only ones, but I see where they are coming from.)
- The Ivory Tower – Brisbane online Wallpaper Shop
The Ivory Tower? That sounds like a place for lonely people to me, so I checked it out. According to wikipedia, they say the term has become associated with ‘connotations of a wilful disconnect from the everyday world……intellectuals engaged in pursuits that are disconnected from the practical concerns of everyday life…….esoteric, over-specialized’.
So yes, great name for a wallpaper shop in Australia.
And that’s Australia’s top five for wallpapers search results in G. But elsewhere on the page you will see Crockers Paint, who also sell wallpaper, WallpaperDecor, WallpaperBrokers, AussieMurals and WallpapersCoverings. Plus there are four paid ads on the right, whereas back in the UK there were eight.
So somebody, somewhere in Australia is buying wallpaper, but I don’t know who. Do you?
I think the results of this experiment are quite straightforward. The UK loves wallpaper and Aussies don’t. And for the record, they are also not that big on carpets and I don’t miss either. Australia is more of a painted walls and tiled floor kind of place.
Clean, crisp, cool and very well suited to a hotter climate. See, it all makes sense in the end.