On a personal note we have had a pretty yucky time of it lately. Within the last six weeks or so…..
- Car ignition barrel/cylinder broke. Repair cost: $618. Kerching!
- Mudslide to garden real wall. Repair cost: $803. Kerching!
- Front shock absorbers worn. Repair cost: $853. Kerching!
- Solar hot water tank leak. Replacement system cost $3,416. Kerching!
- Rupture to water mains supply pipe. Repair cost. Awaiting final bill, probably $1,000+. Kerching!
- And our tumble dryer has just packed up. Replacement cost estimate, $500. Kerching!
But in spite of all this, I am a very lucky man; we are a very lucky family. Especially when you compare our yucky time with the yucky time endured by the entire state of Queensland over the same period.
Because for Queensland, yucky isn’t the word. Yucky would be a mass understatement. This might just be the worst six weeks in Queensland’s entire history. Disastrous and catastrophic are the words that come closest to describing what has gone on here.
On their own, the floods would have been bad enough. But with Queensland on its knees, along came a Category 5 cyclone. Incredibly though, it appears that so far nobody has lost their life “directly” as a result of TC Yasi.
Although, sadly, an Ingham man did die of suffocation whilst using a diesel generator from inside a closed room and one man is still missing. Update: He’s OK, they found him. But how about this?
Another man had been missing since Tuesday; he was last heard of attempting to move his yacht to a safer area among the mangroves.
Well, he sailed back into port this afternoon having seen out the entire storm aboard his yacht. Apparently he was ‘shaken but otherwise unharmed’.
I think 11 out of my last 12 posts have been disaster related. I suspect you’re as worn out as I am. But sometimes disasters can serve to remind us of just how lucky we are.
Because if you lived somewhere around Tully or Mission Beach, this is what you woke up to yesterday. I have a short version….
And a longer one……..
Next week I hope to change the subject. That’d be nice, wouldn’t it?