It’s the school holidays here, and the kids have got a two-week break. Schools out began when they walked out of the school gates on Friday, 25 June and they don’t go back until Monday, July 12. But in most schools that Monday is a “pupil free day” so by and large, they won’t go back until the following Tuesday.
So, what on earth are we going to do to keep the kids amused? Well, there’s always the telly….
After all, according to the lengthy and amusing list of all things that are wrong about Australia by Anthony Ford, who commented on my post Australia’s Bad Things, top of the list is……..
Problems with Australia:
1. Entertainment: “TV is the most entertaining thing in Australia. Statistically Australians spend the most time watching TV. That says something about the place.”
Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion. But what if, just what if, you didn’t want to watch the TV? Well, you could do a little research (like I did) and find out what’s on around your town or city. I think you’d be pleasantly surprised.
I did a search on “school holidays things to do Brisbane” and top of the pile came a great article on the website “ourbrisbane”. They had compiled a nice little list of things to do, along with the dates and venues. Choose from:
- Junior Holiday Camps
- Kids Shipwreck Hunt Adventure
- Wizards & Witches Express
- Circus Ringbarkus
- Super Family Fun Show
- Face Painting
- Illuminate Winter Wonderland
- Soccer Clinic
- Insectarium: School Holiday Fun
- Active Tribes Winter Holiday Program
- La Boite School Holiday Workshops
- Hoopla Clique Stage Show
- Fun Maths Revision Program
- Twisted Designs Balloon Sculpture Workshop
- Soccer Holiday Camp
- Hollywood Stars School Holiday Workshop
- Multi-Sport Holiday Fun
- New Macdonald’s Farm
- Family Fun Flicks
- Young Filmmakers’ Holiday Workshop
- Create A Cartoon Character Workshop for Teenagers
- Wizards & Witches Express Steam Train
- Holiday Drama Workshop for 13 – 15 year olds
- Spooky Science Day
- Creating Fun Cartoon Monsters Workshop No 2
- Cartoon Pets Workshop
- The Great Train Robbery
- The Great Train Robbery Steam Train
If you want to see full details about any of these events, visit the school holidays page (Edit: sorry, link no longer works) on ourbrisbane.com. But you have to admit, it’s an impressive list and all this stuff is in and around Brisbane.
On top of all that, despite my recent whingeing about having to wear long trousers and a long-sleeved top because the temperature had dropped to 15° C, I’m back in shorts and T-shirt again. Today it was 20° C, sunny and absolutely glorious.
“We’re all going on a winter holiday……..”