Moving to Australia – Part Five

A Recap on the Moving to Australia Series.

  1. In Part One you have the idea.
  2. In Part Two you decide on the basis of your application having looked at the various Visa options.
  3. In Part Three we looked at the paperwork and using a MARA approved Migration Agent.
  4. In Part Four you agreed the basis of your application with your migration expert.

I should remind you at this point, that in this series I am recounting our story of how we emigrated to Australia. It is certainly not a definitive guide on the immigration process. It is just our story. I mention this because we emigrated on a “Skilled Sponsored BQ Subclass 138” – anybody wishing to emigrate via a different route will have a different scenario.

So, on with our story. If part five should be called anything it would be

Prove It!

My wife was applying to emigrate to Australia as a skilled migrant. To do that, she needed to nominate an occupation that is on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL). She then had to provide evidence to the relevant assessing authority, which varies according to the skill, to effectively prove to them that she is skilled in the occupation she claims to be.

Each different assessing authority charges a fee for this service which, of course, you have to pay. In my wife’s case, she did not have a recognized and accepted qualification for her chosen skill. But at the time, two years experience in the skill out of the last four years employment was the alternative requirement. So that’s what my wife had to prove.

The process involves, in simple terms, gathering evidence to back up your case. It is in your own interest to do the best job you possibly can. If you fail the assessment your application has pretty much ended before it began. Because let’s face it, if you fail an assessment as a plumber, it is difficult to go back a month later claiming to be an accountant. Although you could work on a different way to apply, for example, as a Business Person starting a business here.

In my wife’s case, she put together a huge folder that included references, a full CV, the official job specification and signed contract, written examples of work undertaken and samples of brochures, handouts, presentation material and cards used in the execution of her work. For others, your skill may be easier to prove. It really depends on what your skill is. But either way, it is worth putting a good deal of effort into this part of the process.

Luckily for us, my wife’s skills assessment was successful and we were able to move on to the next stage.

If you are looking to come to Australia under one of the other ways mentioned in Part Two, you will probably still have to “prove” something. Employer Sponsored Workers will still have to prove their skill. Business People will no doubt have to prove their business skills along with their ability to set up and finance the new business. Doctors and nurses will need to prove their qualifications. If you wish to come here on an Investor Retirement package, then you will no doubt have to prove your financial security.

Yes, this is definitely the “prove it” part of the application.

If you want to know more, read Moving to Australia Part 6

For a full chronological list and brief description of all the posts in this series about how I moved to Australia, please visit my page How to Move to Australia.

Visa Assessment Service
{ 39 comments… add one }
  • Soni February 20, 2017, 8:20 pm |

    Hello Mr. Bob ,
    Your information was really helpful. Thank you.
    Me and my husband are thinking of moving to Australia as Skilled workers. Do both of us need to take the Ielts test ?

    I would also be grateful if you could tell me if we need to make the assessment of our university diplomas before or after we start the application ??
    Thank you for your help

    • Mark February 21, 2017, 3:47 pm |

      IELTS depends in how many points you need so yes its possible you both need to take it and and of course the assessment of f your university will be after the application is done You cant t do much until you start the application Id use a MARA agent if I was you

      • Soni February 22, 2017, 5:59 am |

        Thank you !

  • Melanie February 2, 2017, 9:29 pm |

    Hi there, what a fantastic website very informative, sorry if you have answered this question already, my husband an I would like to move to Australia, with his work he should have a job and visa before we move but I’m a housewife and will not be planning on working either in Aus. Do you know if this is acceptable or will I have to still provide evidence of employability etc? Many thanks

    • BobinOz February 3, 2017, 4:15 pm |

      Thanks Melanie, glad you like my site.

      Yes, that would be perfectly acceptable. Your husband would be the main applicant on the application and he can include you as his dependent wife. No need for you to prove employability at all.

      Good luck, Bob

  • Ajayi Oluwasanmi Daniel January 30, 2017, 7:56 pm |

    Am a registered nurse in Nigeria, i want to move to Australia to work please how do i go about it.

  • Zig September 28, 2016, 6:41 pm |


    Thanks for a great blog.
    I’ve received an invitation for Subclass-189 visa.

    Now as part of my visa application process, can you advise how can I send the TOEFL score report for Australian Immigration department. Does it need to be sent officially by TOEFL itself with my request, or is it enough for me to attach the PDF score report available from ETS TOEFL? Along with that TOEFL can authenticate the scores upon AU migration department enquiry.

    Please advise.

    • BobinOz October 2, 2016, 6:38 pm |

      This is something to ask either the people at TOEFL or your case officer, I just don’t know how it works.

  • Alice February 19, 2016, 9:34 pm |

    Hi Bob. My partner and I are looking to move to Australia with our daughter in the near future. I am a nurse with 7 years post grad experience. I was talking to a friend of mine who said that applying for a Visa is expensive (I always knew it would cost £££) She said it cost £6,000 each and you need to prove you have £10,000 saved in a bank account. Is this correct?

    • BobinOz February 22, 2016, 5:02 pm |

      Moving to Australia isn’t cheap, but the visas themselves are priced in Australian dollars and those prices vary depending upon which visa you are going for.

      I don’t think there is a set amount you need saved in the bank either, although immigration will ask you for details of your financial background. If you watch the video on my page about Visas you will see how to find out about the different visa types and the costs of them.

  • Madeleine August 31, 2015, 7:43 pm |

    Hi Bob

    Me and my husband lives in south africa, i am a house wife and my husband is starting a new job in saudi arabia, he will be working and living there permanently and only visits me 4 times a year , so my problem is i dont want to live alone in this bad country, i dont even want to have kids in this country, will it be possible for me to immigrate to australia, and then my husband can come visit me there? At the end of the day me and my husband will retire in australia, there is just no future in south africa for us? Thank you so much for all your info, but for me who is only a housewife with very bad English skills its a sticky thing to say the least…..Madeleine

  • Rhiannon August 13, 2015, 7:21 am |

    Hi bob,
    I stumbled on this website today actually me and my mum have been planning to move and now we are researching everything you have to do, lots of work have to admit.looking through the points thing my mum is a qualified secondary and college teacher for two years And of two years before that a TA. By the time we will move she will have 4 years as a full teacher and two years for a TA. Would this mean it would be 6 years of experience? Where do we have to go and ring to take the tests and actually be able to move? Whee do we get the application forms?


    • BobinOz August 13, 2015, 7:12 pm |

      It’s a very complicated procedure Rhiannon, even calculating how many years work experience isn’t straightforward. Even if I understood the whole process, which I don’t, I wouldn’t be able to help you because only MARA registered migration agents are legally allowed to assist with this kind of thing.

      So you need to speak to a MARA migration agent or, if you prefer, go through my Visa Assessment Service.

      Good luck, Bob

      • Rhiannon August 14, 2015, 12:54 am |

        We have been researching the MARA migration agent and they seem very expensive from what we have found. How expensive was yours


        • BobinOz August 14, 2015, 7:08 pm |

          Well, you won’t find a ‘cheap’ MARA migration agent, if you do, smell a rat. These guys are highly trained professionals, my MARA agent used to practice as a lawyer, for example.

          I would say his rates are reasonable and very competitive when compared to other MARA agents and part of his assessment service includes quoting both the government’s and his full costs should you decide to have him represent you. So you will know well in advance what you would be in for if you decided to go ahead.

          Hope that helps, Bob

  • jim April 28, 2015, 11:49 am |

    Hi Bob,
    I am from Boston Mass. I wanted to know how difficult it would be to relocate to Melbourne and get a visa to start a construction business. I own a company here in Boston and would like to make a lifestyle change. If you have any advise I would love to hear it. Thanks, Jim

    • BobinOz April 28, 2015, 11:18 pm |

      This is one of those questions that I’m simply not allowed to answer, for the explanation, see Would I Qualify?.

      Only MARA migration agents can advise on this kind of thing, my agent can help you with this, you will see details on that page.

      If you tick all the right boxes though, and there’s quite a few to tick, it would be a possibility.

      Good luck, Bob

  • Huw Neill September 8, 2014, 8:53 pm |

    Hi Bob

    putting together the forms/evidence right now for a move to Australia. My wife is Australian so i can get through on the partner visa. However, i can’t seem to find anywhere whether or not i need to go through the health check before i submit my paperwork or after. Obviously, if its before, it puts the process back quite a bit – at the moment i think i’ve enough info/evidence to start sending the application off in a few weeks. I always thought medical/police checks were required once the application had been submitted. What are your thoughts?


    • BobinOz September 9, 2014, 1:16 pm |

      Hi Huw

      Yes, you are right, it is after your application has been submitted. With the police/medical checks, you need to wait until your case officer request them, it usually happens towards the end of the process.

      Good luck, Bob

    • Kat August 13, 2015, 7:27 am |

      Love your site etc

      How do you get the forms/evidence to move this is what me and my mum need to get to start off our two year journey of saving up and applying. Also how long does it take to be accepted into Australia and after you have been accepted how long do you have to move over there.


      • BobinOz August 13, 2015, 7:16 pm |

        Kat, thanks etc 🙂

        You must be Rhiannon’s mum, you both live in the exact same spot in the world and both have the same questions, please see my answer two comments below to Rhiannon.

  • Stevie Aye October 30, 2013, 7:41 pm |


    ive wrote to you before saying i was gonna do spray painting for vehicles. Well ive changed that and now im starting me ‘Data Engineering’ course. I was wondering what the jobs were like for that kind of trade? i still fancy living in melbourne, lots of people from my country ”England’ have said its a lovely play to live and very hot.

    What your input on this?



    • BobinOz October 31, 2013, 1:16 pm |

      Hi Steve

      If you take a look at my page Getting a Job or a Sponsorship you’ll see links to Australia’s top online employment agencies, maybe you can search for what you do to see what opportunities there are.

      A word of warning though, most employers expect two or three, maybe even four years of work experience before offering a sponsorship, if it was a sponsorship that was on your mind.

      Good luck, Bob

  • Tomas October 30, 2013, 5:42 am |

    Bob website I was impressed. So on.

    We are thinking about moving to Brisbane or Cairns. What is the difference in climate? Is Cairns in far more hot steamy .. work more difficult?

    Thanks, Tomas

    • BobinOz October 30, 2013, 4:43 pm |

      Hi Tomas, glad you like my website.

      Cairns would definitely be hotter and more humid, no doubt about that. Not sure what the work situation is, but I know it is quite a tourist area so I’m sure there are jobs related to that.

      You can find out more information about Cairns on my page about Queensland in the comments.

      Cheers, Bob

  • Adi October 22, 2013, 2:10 am |

    Hi Bob,

    Thanks for your very, very informative site. It really helps people to understand better of the procedures needed to move to Australia.

    I have a question to ask, what should I do first for the employer sponsored visa, should I apply for a job first from here and get a company that can sponsor me? Or do I have to prove my skills first and get the approval (from the authority) and then apply for a job from here?

    What should I do first?


    • BobinOz October 22, 2013, 1:55 pm |

      Hi Adi

      I don’t think there is a set way of doing this, much depends on your skills, qualifications and profession. You may need to get a skills assessment done first, or you may not need it.

      All your questions would be answered if you purchased a copy of How to Find a Sponsored Job in Australia, and you might learn quite a bit if you read the comments on my post EOI.

      I can’t advise you specifically though, I’m just not qualified. Good luck, Bob

  • Sara August 26, 2013, 6:36 pm |

    Since we don’t have paypal option in our country, my country is not listed in the dropdown box for making a paypal account so i can even use a credit card to make the payment. Please advise on how to submit the consultancy fee.

    Also does the MARA Agent also recommend which occupation category out of many would be ideal for an applicant?

    • BobinOz August 27, 2013, 1:37 pm |

      Hi Sara

      You do not need a PayPal account to pay by credit card. After you have clicked on the “By Now” button, you will be taken to the payment page and given the option to sign into PayPal. Ignore that and look for the link that says “Pay with a credit or debit card.” You can then pay with your credit card, you do not need to login to PayPal to do that.

      Cheers, Bob

  • Steven Iveson November 5, 2012, 10:58 pm |


    Great site. Lots of useful information. Im from the UK and want to migrate to Australia within 10 years time but first i need to get my trade then after that get at least 3 years work experience in it. But are ‘Vehicle painters’ in demand over there? i dont want to do plumbing or be an electrician to move over there.


    • BobinOz November 6, 2012, 5:58 pm |

      The problem you have there Steven is it doesn’t matter if vehicle painters are in demand here now, you need to know what’s going to be in demand in 10 years time when you intend to move. Unfortunately, there is just no way of knowing what will be in demand in 10 years time. It might not even be plumbing or electrical work.

      There is no answer to it, I’m afraid, all you can do is look at the entire list, see what is on it now and hope it still on it when you’re ready to come. You can access the list from the link on my page about Getting a Job or a Sponsorship.

  • Frank martins October 27, 2012, 7:59 pm |

    I am from Ghana and i want to migrate to Australia as a student. what is the possibility of getting a student visa to Australia. and how many years can be given to me. get back to me and i think i will use your agent to apply for the via if i am convinced that i will have it.

    Mr. Martins

    • BobinOz October 29, 2012, 5:53 pm |

      Well, those are the kind of questions that my migration agent answers, I’m afraid I’m not qualified. He would be able to guide you if you complete one of his assessments. Good luck!

  • nelson March 7, 2012, 11:03 pm |

    Hello, I am from India. Few of my friends trying to contact me for getting into australia. would you please give me information what categories are not accepted and minimum how much points are required. Also give me little clue to calucalate the point system.
    Hope it could be for mutual benefits.


    • BobinOz March 8, 2012, 12:40 am |

      Easy. Look at my page about Visas. Watch the video. Then click on the Visa Wizard and within no time you will have all the answers you want.

      Now, you mentioned mutual benefits? What have you got for me then?

  • Michelle January 23, 2012, 10:36 pm |

    Hi Bob,
    LOVE LOVE LOVE the site. My partner and I stumbled upon it a few weeks ago, and were up until the small hours of the morning reading your blogs about your journey to get over to Oz.
    My question is this. What sort of paperwork did/do you have to provide the Australian Immigration and your agent? Payslips, P60’s that sort of thing? Obviously each applicant is different and the requirements of such will differ, but i’m currently scanning in all our documents to the PC to make it easier to keep track of them, and send them via email if needs be. I’m looking at shredding the originals (obviously not the important ones, but water,gas bills, bank statements etc) to save on paper clutter, but will they ask for the originals or will a scanned copy suffice?
    Hope that makes sense 🙂

    • BobinOz January 24, 2012, 10:12 pm |

      Hi Michelle

      Glad you are enjoying my website. Now, as for paperwork, I can’t remember us having to provide too much. Certainly our passports, birth certificates, marriage certificates (and divorce certificates where applicable), that sort of thing.

      But as you say, everyone is different (you should read my post about my medical) and if they have trouble finding you listed at your address, for example, they may well ask for up-to-date utility bills. So my advice would be to not shred anything original, not until you are sure you won’t be needing them.

      I wouldn’t spend too much time scanning stuff either, you’ll end up scanning lots of things that the Australian authorities just won’t need. Scanned stuff does work for most things though, but normally only if they are certified by a lawyer or some other such very important person.

      Good luck with your application, hope to see you here soon.

Leave a Comment

If your comment doesn’t get answered, find out why…..
FAQs and Comment Policy.