How to Get a Student Visa for Australia

I love living in Australia, it’s a fantastic country with great weather, plenty of outdoor activities and things to do which, for the most part, are free.

Going to the beach is free, of course, and so is using one of the communal barbecues that you’ll find there and in many of our parks and picnic areas. It is probably for these very same reasons that Australia is such a great place to come to as a student to study.

For those of you wanting to come here from abroad to study though, unfortunately, your education in Australia would almost certainly not be free. International students do have to pay for their education, but if you can do that, Australia is a great place to come and learn.

studyingStudying in Australia

So, how would you go about studying in Australia? And why would you want to?

Australia is one of the world’s most popular destinations for those wishing to study abroad, and for good reason. Australia is certainly a multicultural society and itself is full of immigrants from all over the world. Many came here as students themselves and ended up staying. That is not the main reason why the Australian Government have focused on building such a comprehensive network of student courses in this country, but it certainly is one of the by-products.

The primary reason to come here as a student would be to study and gain qualifications that are recognised around the world, but for those hoping to ultimately live here permanently, studying here will do that objective no harm.

Australia operates a points system for those wishing to move here on a more permanent basis, and currently 60 points is enough to put together an application. Points are awarded mainly for age, qualifications, experience and English language skills, and those who work and study here for at least two years will get an additional 15 points, maybe double that depending on the course.

Students can also work up to a maximum of 40 hours per fortnight while studying here, or full-time during the long holiday breaks. This means you will be also be gaining valuable Australian work experience as well as qualifications. Along with those extra points, it is possible that studying in Australia could open up more permanent working visa options for you.

Visa Assessment

Those who are aware of my Visa Assessment Service will know that these assessments are performed by a professional MARA registered migration agent. You may be interested to know that one of my former agents, Miki, came here over 10 years ago on a student visa and he, himself, is now not only a Permanent Resident, but an Australian citizen.

Miki has introduced me to an associate of his by the name of Peter who he has been working with for some time. Peter’s company has been established for many years and has a staff of professionals from many nationalities who pride themselves on offering the best service to help YOU with your education and life in Australia.

Their service is free and by completing a simple one-page Student Assessment Form, you can begin to look into how you can study in Australia. Do be aware though that although this service is free, studying in Australia for foreign students is not. The cost of studying here in Australia varies significantly from course to course and again, as part of this free service, you will be given guidance on how best to utilise your budget.

The Student Assessment Form

Once you have completed the form, simply fax it or scan it and email it, all contact details are given at the bottom of the form. If it is easier, you are more than welcome to telephone your details across; the telephone number is also on the form.

Peter and his team will then set about the task of finding the right school, university college or TAFE course to suit your career goals and the qualifications you seek to achieve. There are hundreds of schools and colleges and over 40 universities to choose from in Australia and New Zealand, and they have the knowledge to help you find the best one for you, based on your needs.

Maybe you want to study English or engineering; perhaps you want to go to Australia or New Zealand; you might be looking for a short course or a long-term university course; whatever you are looking for, you will receive objective and unbiased advice from an experienced team who specialise in student education down under.

So, if you want to find out more with no obligation whatsoever, please enter your name and email address below and you will receive an automatic response by email within a few minutes. The title of that email will be “Confirm your subscription for Student Visa information“; you need to open the email and click the clickable link within the text. You will then be redirected automatically to the download page for the Student Assessment Form.

Your name and email is required so we can send the form to you. You will not be contacted by anybody until you return the form to us, and we will not use your details for any other purpose. Please enter your name and email here…


We respect your email privacy

Email Marketing by AWeber

Please note: if you have not received this email within five minutes or so, please check your spam or junk folders, some email clients, particularly Gmail, Hotmail and Yahoo mail tend to place these messages in the wrong box.

Any problems, you are more than welcome to contact me directly.

Many thanks


Visa Assessment Service
{ 135 comments… add one }
  • John Expert May 23, 2017, 5:43 pm |

    Nice share. These points are worth knowing. I am pursuing post graduation Health and care services. Right now I am planning to go abroad for my recruitment after completing my studies. I think that you can be the best one to answer one of my friend’s queries. I would definitely share your post with him.

  • vishal September 20, 2016, 11:34 am |

    hi i want to about student visa . my friend sons he is student in india he doing diploma in computer after 10th class. he want to study in Australia so he can apply for student visa

    • BobinOz September 20, 2016, 8:52 pm |

      I don’t know, you would need to ask my expert. Please read the instructions on the above page to see how to do that.

  • Kirti Wadhwa August 2, 2016, 7:07 pm |

    Hi bob

    I am pursuing post graduation in Foods & Nutrition in India and I wanted to ask you the courses I can take up in Australia related to nutrition field which are in the SOL list of the Australian Government.

    Your guidance would be really appreciated.

    • BobinOz August 3, 2016, 7:41 pm |

      You would need to ask my expert, I have no idea about these things. Please follow the instructions above to get your free assessment. Good luck, Bob

      • Kirti Wadhwa August 3, 2016, 10:31 pm |

        Thank you for your time bob. I surely will.

      • Syed Irfan Ahmed October 9, 2016, 12:44 am |

        Hi bob myself irfan, I am working as a Logistic Co ordinator in UAE since two yearsn, and I am having master in business admin, and now I was planning to come Australia .. what you suggest ? It would be better to come on student visa he field in working here I can get diploma or master s in this …

  • Sara June 29, 2016, 6:41 pm |

    Hi Bob

    I applied for student visa 573 with dependent child on 3rd May 2016 and my assignment level is one. as my status is divored and I have the custody as well as the conset travel from his father. I sumited all required documents on the same day of application form submition. my orientation will start on 18/07/2016 and tell now I didnt get any replies or request. Few days ago, I called the immi office and they asked me if I don’t find any replies, the best solution to deffer the course. I would like to but I already granted the scholarship and it is very difficult to defer it. Do you think I will get it before orientation?

    • BobinOz June 29, 2016, 11:24 pm |

      I just don’t know Sara, I’m afraid the only people who can truly answer that question would be the immigration department themselves. Good luck, Bob

  • Qasim Farooq June 27, 2016, 7:59 am |

    Hi bob,

    I want to complete my master from sydney australia in professional accounting currently i’m in pakistan but i’m facing two issue and want to precious duide theese matter.

    1) i’m married but i’m not taking my wife and child with me because they are well settled here also i dont have a plan to permanent settled in australia because of my family.

    2) my brother is settled in australia as well he have australian pr.

    but someone told me that u are not eligible fr student visa because of above two issues.

    Kindly guide me i’m really worried about this.

    • BobinOz June 28, 2016, 12:07 am |

      Well, I don’t guide anybody on these matters, please read the instructions above and consider going through this free assessment with my student expert. He’s the guy who knows how this stuff works.

  • Hannah April 8, 2016, 9:30 pm |

    Hey mate, Thank you for all these pages of information. They are truly helpful. …and sorry people can’t read. Going through the comments makes me cringe, you’re an awesome medium for connecting people to experts, but not the expert yourself ( though with all this info you wouldn’t know you weren’t =p ) . Hope all is well and that you are enjoying your years in Oz!
    Thanks again for all you’ve provided for us!

    • BobinOz April 10, 2016, 7:44 pm |

      Yes, I am loving my years in Oz. Thanks Hannah for the kind words :-), Bob

  • Shani March 24, 2016, 6:16 am |


  • Lauren February 22, 2016, 1:19 pm |

    Hi Bob,

    I’m a Canadian student currently looking into switching universities to do my bachelor of Primary Education at the University of Tasmania – though I’m not 100% set on the school yet, I’ve been in contact with them anyway.

    (I don’t like the look of the education program at my current school (and I’m not so keen on the school itself either) so that’s why I’m looking to switch, because I’m sure you’re wondering why I don’t just stay and finish.)

    Additional info: I lived in Australia for a year after finishing high school on a volunteer visa working at a private boarding school.

    My parents think I should do my degree here, then move, but I feel like it’s much more beneficial in the long run (in terms of getting a job) to do my schooling there as I could make connections and also (hopefully) get some part-time work experience in while I’m in school.

    You mentioned the additional visa points earned as well for studying which I actually didn’t know, so that was super helpful. Would my previous volunteer visa (which I never had any problems with) help my application at all? Or even the experience of volunteering at an Australian school?

    Do I have the right idea here?


    • BobinOz February 22, 2016, 7:00 pm |

      I don’t know if you have the right idea here or not, this isn’t an area I know much about. Please have a read of the free assessment service offered here as I’m sure my expert would be able to advise you if you send him in your completed form.

      Good luck, Bob

  • ritik bhatia February 7, 2016, 10:04 pm |

    Hello! I am a indian citizen.I am a student of commerce field.How much percentage is to be scored in +2 class for applyind study visa of australia.

    • BobinOz February 8, 2016, 5:47 pm |

      I don’t even understand the question. If you need help with this, then maybe you should go through the assessment with my expert. Good luck, Bob

  • balwinder sidhu January 26, 2016, 4:41 pm |

    hi i m indian citizen now i studying 11th class my relative in aus citizen im also want to come aus which sub i can apply ,thx

    • BobinOz January 27, 2016, 3:56 pm |

      My expert should be able to help you, but you need to follow the instructions on this page to see how it works.

  • Ali December 8, 2015, 9:44 pm |

    hi bob,I wanted your suggestion as to which city of australia isbest to find part time jobs in and study?

    • BobinOz December 9, 2015, 11:04 pm |

      I simply don’t know which is the best, I imagine it depends what you want to study and the kind of work you want to do. I think I’m right in saying that Melbourne is our most popular city for those looking to study though. Good luck, Bob

  • Ankur November 24, 2015, 1:47 pm |

    hi , I am going to start my mba in sydney from 23rd of feb ,but i want to arrive in australia on 1st of feb because i am currently in fiji on my visitors visa and already on my extension which ends on 1st feb. I am an indian citizen so wont be easy to travel back to india ,so can i get 20 days early visa from australia?
    Thanks in advance

    • BobinOz November 30, 2015, 9:25 pm |

      I can’t help you that, you would need to speak to the immigration department to try and organise the extended visa or speak to a MARA registered migration agent for help. Good luck, Bob

  • Rhey November 4, 2015, 6:50 pm |

    Hi Bob!
    My application was lodge by an agent for student visa last oct.19 and my date intake was nov.2. Until now the embassy has no reply. And the scho emailed me that if i will not go to school until nov.13 my ecoe wil be cancelled. So does that affects my visa?

    • BobinOz November 4, 2015, 8:22 pm |

      I have no idea, you would need to take that up with the immigration department.

  • Vasim November 2, 2015, 7:00 pm |


    Greetings for the day.

    My wife has completed her Diploma (2 years) and Bachelor (5 years) in Pharmacy here India and she is a registered Pharmacist here.

    She wants to pursue Masters Degree but not sure what to go with and what value does it hold in Australia. Some friend suggested that Master in Public Health is one of the renowned and rewarding degree that she can opt for. She wants to pursue her Master in Heath Care only as she does not want to deviate from her field of study and work.

    Request you to please help us in selecting the right Master Degree for her.

    Also, if she gets Student VISA then I (her husband) will get work VISA. We wanted to know that if I work full time and she works for 40 hours fortnight then will we be able to fulfill our requirement (her fees for year and our monthly expense).

    Request you please help us with the course with its future aspects, earning opportunity, career and value in the future.

    Thanking you in advance.

    • BobinOz November 2, 2015, 11:41 pm |

      Hi, I redirected you from another comment elsewhere to this page so you can get help about selecting the right masters degree, but you won’t get help by simply posting a comment.

      Please read the above post to see how it works and then download and complete the assessment form and send it to my expert, that’s the only way you will get help with this. He will not be able to help you with your question about earning money though, as I said elsewhere, nobody can answer that one. No one can guarantee that between you you will earn enough to pay for tuition and all your other expenses.

      Cheers, Bob

  • Mann November 1, 2015, 3:59 pm |

    Hi bob i have 573 student visa i m in 3rd smester my class will start end of this month but i m going india and i m coming back 2nd week of my classes is there any problem for me ?

    • BobinOz November 2, 2015, 5:41 pm |

      Sorry, this isn’t something I can help with, I have no idea. You could start by asking somebody in the admin department of your college. Good luck, Bob

  • preet August 15, 2015, 5:13 pm |

    hi bob can i go to australia after my class 10 in india to aus with the medium of student visa

    • BobinOz August 16, 2015, 7:18 pm |

      I don’t know, that would be a question to ask my expert. Download the form, fill it in, send it back to him and ask that question.

      • Harry October 22, 2015, 5:12 pm |

        How can we aply student visa for our relative kids from India . He is 7 year we want visa for australia

        • BobinOz October 23, 2015, 7:24 pm |

          Harry, you need to download the form, fill it in and ask my expert. I have no idea.

  • Aman July 7, 2015, 9:49 pm |

    hello i applied my visa on 25th june 2015 in 573 visa still waiting for my visa my orientation will be in 3 days and course starting on 20th july im so worried why so much time still waiting for embassy interview call guide me

    • BobinOz July 8, 2015, 3:43 pm |

      That was only a couple of weeks ago then, I’m sure it takes longer than that.

      • Aman July 21, 2015, 5:50 pm |

        done with interview on 17th and today is 21th and still waiting for visa my classes starting on 27th

        • BobinOz July 21, 2015, 9:37 pm |

          Sounds like a bit of progress.

          • Aman July 23, 2015, 2:45 pm |

            Yes but my course is starting in 3 or 4 days still waiting for my visa ? do you think they will give me visa in today or tomorrow

            • BobinOz July 23, 2015, 6:30 pm |

              Only they can tell you when they will issue a visa, good luck though.

        • Ishneet July 23, 2015, 3:36 am |

          What did they asked you in your interview

          • Aman July 23, 2015, 2:43 pm |

            My parents name course name home address about 10 th and 12th scoring course contents why australia only this much

  • Israr Khan June 24, 2015, 8:14 pm |

    hi Bob..
    How are you my name is israr khan i form swat Pakistan and i am 18 year old and i want to abroad study in Australia and i qualify a matric and now i admission in first year in your country collage please sir/madam help me my country satiation is very dangerous the terrorist any time attack on school in collages and terrorist want to kill the student please….

    • BobinOz June 25, 2015, 12:13 am |

      Then you need to download the free assessment form, fill it in, and send it off to my expert. I know nothing about how this works, but he will be able to help you. Of course, you must understand, that unless you get some kind of grant (very rare) you will need to pay to study in Australia.

  • Waqas June 20, 2015, 12:49 am |

    Hi bob
    I apply for student visa in master of professional accounting I submitted my file on 22.04.2015 but still waiting for reply can u please tell me this is sign of rejection thts why it is taking to much time so waiting for your reply

    • BobinOz June 23, 2015, 12:12 am |

      No I can’t tell you, I have no idea. You would have to chase up DIBP to find out what’s going on. You only applied two months ago, that’s not actually a long time, I wouldn’t be fretting too much if I were you. Good luck, Bob

    • Sonia December 26, 2015, 11:49 pm |

      Helo waqas,
      i would like to know from u that in which university u applied?
      Did u got visa?
      And did the Embassy taken our interview and what type of questions they asked u?
      plz do reply me?
      its urgent..

      • hassnain January 12, 2016, 1:45 am |

        hi sonia i have applied for svp 573 visa on 15 oct my interview done at 25 oct and medical on 26 still waiting for the rep from embassy my cource will star in march so worried 85 days have passed no rep yet

        • Irfan ali March 14, 2016, 8:19 am |

          Bro did u get visa ?

  • Jessica Mullaney February 17, 2015, 12:31 am |

    Hi Bob, I am 17 years old and I live in England. I am in my last year of secondary school and I turn 18 in march. I want to move iut to Oz and I would be able to stay with a friend for as long as I needed. I just wanted some advice on what my best route is for my situation. I wouldnt mind studying out there too if its possible.


  • Samantha Noel January 20, 2015, 6:54 am |

    Hey Bob,

    I’m currently hoping to go to school at James Cook in Townsville mainly for the marine biology prospects. I’m a senior in high school with a brand new-to-me 1973 Volkswagen Bug that i love dearly. My mom suggests bringing over my little mo-ped scooter with me, but I love my car and can’t think of leaving it behind for 6 years when I just got it.
    I’ve gotten some feed back from my teachers who say it would be weird because you guys drive on the other side of the road AND my steering wheel is on the wrong side of the car. Any-who, I’m just wondering what your thoughts on that are. I’m not too worried about the transporting costs, I’m just worried about practicability.

    Thanks, Samantha

    • BobinOz January 21, 2015, 7:09 pm |

      All I can tell you Samantha is that I have spoken to 4 or 5 people who have looked into importing their cars to Australia and each time the costs have been too prohibitive. I believe there is some kind of import tax, a safety requirement to meet which also cost money, and then of course the regular cost of the transportation.

      Add it all together, and apparently it’s just not worth it. We drive on the left-hand side of the road here, same as in the UK, but different from the USA and most other countries. Having your steering on the wrong side is simply not ideal.

      So I think it is probably not a good idea, sorry I know that’s not what you wanted to hear.

      It’s just my view though, good luck with your plans, hope it all works out well.


  • mmb November 29, 2014, 3:20 pm |

    i am from india
    i want to go to australia for study , i have lazy eyes can it will affect to my student visa application ?
    i cant see only long distance small words otherwise i can see also i can drive. but i have lazy eyes.give me ans and help me.

    • BobinOz December 1, 2014, 5:15 pm |

      I don’t think this small problem will affect your chances, but at the end of the day it is the immigration department who decide. Good luck, Bob

  • Amz October 18, 2014, 7:27 pm |

    Hi Bob,
    I’ve received my Visa Grant under student visa subclass 573 and my course starts from 2nd of March 2015,
    Can i travel to Australia in the end of this month? I got deferred as I had not received my visa on time for the last semester and due to that i missed that and again send the new eCoe to the DIAC for the march intake.
    Abdul Moiz.

    • BobinOz October 19, 2014, 9:18 pm |

      I have no idea when you can enter Australia, it depends on the terms of your visa. Please speak to your case officer. Good luck, Bob

  • Mit September 13, 2014, 4:30 pm |

    Hi Bob, read your blog on student visas and the 60 points required to transit to permanent residency in Australia. However, my feeling is that Australia operates a very complicated immigration policy and getting residency for a student is tough unless they can actually nominate an occupation that’s on Skilled Occupation List which is certainly not possible for everyone to do so. For example, for Finance graduates there are no relevant occupation they can nominate. You really have to be sponsored to have any sort of chances to stay in Australia permanently.

    What’s your take?

    • BobinOz September 15, 2014, 6:42 pm |

      You are right Mit, it is very difficult and complicated to get PR in Australia, it is intentionally like that. Student visas aren’t naturally supposed to lead to PR, it just so happens that some students may improve their chances of moving here permanently on the basis of the subject and skill they have chosen to educate themselves in.

      Australia has chosen, in the main, to accept visa applications from those who have skills for which there is a shortage here and if your skill is not on any of the list, yes, it will be difficult.

  • Matt July 31, 2014, 6:04 pm |

    Hi Bob,

    My wife and I are Canadians and she is here studying in Melbourne. She has applied for and been accepted for a Visa, with me as her dependant. Does this mean that we have the same Visa number? I had thought we did based on her accepted application, but now, in reading the fine print, I do not see that listed anywhere and see no number for me specifically. She is here for a Master’s program, which accordingly means that I apparently have no work restrictions in terms of number of hours, but when I go to apply for jobs, I don’t know what Visa number to give them. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as it has been quite stressful!

    • BobinOz August 1, 2014, 12:18 am |

      The short answer is I don’t know Matt, but my suspicion is that what you need to do is go and talk to Centrelink, they should be able to tell you exactly what your work rights are and the number you need to give to potential employers in order to work. Hope that helps, Bob

  • Kiran July 27, 2014, 12:41 pm |

    Hi bob ,
    I have applied for Australian visa sub-class 573 for term 2 July ,but because of late in visa ,I deferred my semester . It’s been 2 months , I haven’t heard from Australian high commission . Though I have sent them my medical as per their request . Apart from that last week I got an interview call .
    Moreover, I want to mention here that my brother holds australian citizenship.

    So, what do you think ? M I eligible for getting student visa .
    Kiran from Pakistan.

    • BobinOz July 28, 2014, 6:56 pm |

      Only immigration can answer that for you, you will just have to wait.

      Good luck, Bob

  • Ahmed July 13, 2014, 7:05 pm |

    Hi Bob,
    could you please tell me if it is easy to transfer the visa from student visa to working visa, as I’m going to take a student visa to come to Australis to study IT at Wollongong university.

    Thanks and regards

    • BobinOz July 13, 2014, 11:35 pm |

      No, it isn’t.

      • Ahmed July 15, 2014, 7:34 pm |

        Thanks for your reply bro, but I mean after finishing my courses and graduate what is my chances to stay and get a work visa in Australia?

        • BobinOz July 15, 2014, 9:04 pm |

          Yes, I understood the question and the answer is still no, it isn’t.

          It’s not impossible, but it’s also not a natural progression. You really need to seek advice from a MARA registered migration agent if your long-term intention is to become a permanent resident here in Australia.

          Cheers, Bob

  • ali July 5, 2014, 11:39 pm |


    I want help…

    Me ACCA qualified, having two bachelor’s degrees of Accounting / Commerce (one from Pak and other from oxford), adv. diploma in accounting and business… I have also 3 years experience of audit firm (EY Pak) and 1 year of industry… I want to come to Australia for higher studies but I am confused:

    1) Which city (Sydney, Melbourne, Perth, Brisbane, Adelaide etc) has more job opportunities part time (during study) and full time (after study) for me after having above said credentials??

    2) Which is the best university, which has good goodwill and reputation and their graduates find job easily?

    3) Which course should I need to do which not only add but boast my previous credentials..?? Which degree is more in demand and helps me in securing good job? MBA… MPA… CPA.. CA etc?

    4) I am very afraid due to listening of “Accountants are over supplied” “Flooded Accountant” “Abundant Accountants” then what should I do overcome this problems..??

    5) I also want PR and citizenship of Australia in future after studies…

    I am very puzzled about above said points please guide me and also tell me where can I get these sort of counseling about study etc..

    Thanks for reply…

    • BobinOz July 13, 2014, 7:37 pm |

      This page is for those looking to study here in Australia, if that’s what you want to do then you need to go through the free assessment for advice. Please read the post again for full instructions.

  • Christine June 21, 2014, 10:25 pm |

    Hi Bob,
    I am not sure if I am asking the right person, but I would still like to ask anyway. I am an international student (female) in oz and would like to bring along my husband with me. I have done a lot of research regarding spouse student visa, the requirement are to provide proof of education of course study and duration, marriage certificate, oversea health cover and bank savings to support both of us. For the financial support fund, how much should we have? Because it doesn’t really state how much, however I would like to find out roughly how much. I tried searching, but nothing really came up. If you could answer will be much appreciated, or please direct me to the right resource. Thanks 🙂
    Kind regards,

    • BobinOz June 22, 2014, 9:20 pm |

      I can’t help you with this Christine, I’m not sure there is a set amount. I think immigration look at the whole package, all of your information, and how much you have is just part of it.

      That’s only my guess though, but I can’t point you to any other resources. If anyone else reading this knows anything more, please do let us know in these comments.

      Cheers, Bob

  • ray June 2, 2014, 4:47 pm |

    please find out the exceptions coz there are some exceptions…

    • BobinOz June 3, 2014, 4:06 pm |

      You think I’m going to do all your research for you? This is one you will need to find out for yourself.

  • ray May 31, 2014, 8:06 pm |

    am kenyan taking Bsc in computer science i wl finish 2016,am if i want to take masters in the same wl i get a sudent visa n be able to work with my bachelor’s degree as a qualification in Australia to surpport my masters degree and wl they limit my work hours? n if i dont get a job in my field n ae work in a restaurant wl ae b able to sustain my self and pay tution fee for my self? wl ae stl av a work hours limit?

    • BobinOz June 2, 2014, 4:04 pm |

      I don’t know for sure, but my understanding is any student visa will limit the amount of work you can do, I think it’s 40 hours per fortnight.

  • jeewan May 18, 2014, 12:01 pm |

    hi bob,
    I and my dependent applied for australia in student visa.Unfortunately, due to some fraudulent cases regarding bank loan made by other applicants in australian high commission, university advised us to withdraw our application from australian high commission . Can we apply another university changing bank recommended by Australian high commission as soon as we withdraw application from AHC ? or are we looked with suspicious eye? im really scared of being rejected…Plz help me i m an international student……

    • BobinOz May 19, 2014, 2:35 pm |

      I have no idea, this really isn’t anything I can help you with. Good luck, Bob

  • saym sharma May 4, 2014, 10:10 am |

    Oh, that was my stupid question in fact …. how can a engeneering degree be paid with part time job …
    Could you please tell me how much should i have to pay at all for my engeneering degree in a cheap university..
    I want your opinion

    • BobinOz May 5, 2014, 6:34 pm |

      You’d be better off seeking the assistance of my expert, (see above for details) I have no idea on the costs.

  • saym sharma May 2, 2014, 9:45 am |

    Hey Bobin….

    Truly speaking u have done a splendid job .
    I have read your 3/4 article, Its mind blowing!!!
    Im a +2 physical science student here in nepal ( a small mountains country of S.E. Asia betn China n India) . I want to study engeneering .
    The thing that I want to ask is that could i meet my expenses to study in australlia though part time job ONLY???….
    Through part time job only can i pay for my university tution fee, houserent n so on.
    how much a teen ager boy of 5 feet 4 inches n 48 kg will be paid for his manual work ???
    Sir Im seeing for your reply!!!

    • BobinOz May 2, 2014, 9:19 pm |

      It’s only my opinion saym, but I don’t think it would be possible to pay your tuition fees AND feed and house yourself on a part-time job here in Australia. Additionally, I think you will find your tuition fees would be payable in advance, making it even more impossible.

      Good luck though, Bob

  • gabby tulawie March 26, 2014, 3:15 am |

    And one more thing is i dont know what school would be best for me yet so i havent applied for any uni, is it possible to choose a school upon arrival?

    • BobinOz March 26, 2014, 12:56 pm |

      Sounds like you need to download the assessment form and fill it in, that’ll put you in touch with my expert. I know nothing about study visas, but he could help you.

  • gabby tulawie March 26, 2014, 2:59 am |

    Hi, i actually want to study nursing in australia and then medicine afterwards what particular student visa should i consider? Thanks

    • saym sharma May 2, 2014, 9:50 am |

      Hey gabby,
      In fact you cant get a doctorial degree after u study nursing….
      further u can only study bachor in nursing 😀

  • Kat Cole January 13, 2014, 2:01 am |

    Hello Bob, 🙂

    I am a study abroad student from the southern United States attending University of Sunshine Coast at the end of February. Firstly, I wanted to thank you for your great articles. They informed me really well before I jumped into the application pool and helped my family. They were not too thrilled I was traveling to the other side of the world for a six month period, but your website really helped ease some of their anxiety.

    Secondly, I wanted to know if you had any advice for me as a student. I have read a lot about Australian life in your blog and numerous other books, but have not seen much about the students’ social life (i.e. social norms, parties, socializing activities, drinking, language, etc.). As the calender nears the day of my departure, I find my nerves get a little stronger.

    I would greatly appreciate any advice you had for me.

    Your Fan,
    Kat Cole

    P.S. I already have a student visa, which this article really helped me prepare for. Although I may have other looked it, I could not find a specific article to students (please let me know if you have one), so I did not know where else to post. 🙂

    Also, sorry if this posted twice.

    • BobinOz January 13, 2014, 4:22 pm |

      Hi Kat

      First of all, congratulations on securing your place at the University of Sunshine Coast, I hope you have great fun up there. I wish I could help you, but I really haven’t written too much about what students get up to, they won’t tell me 🙂

      Seriously though, I can tell you you are going to a beautiful part of Australia, the Sunshine Coast is one of my favourites. It is a bit quiet there, nightlife wise, but I’m sure students up that way have worked out how to Max their drinking and partying.

      It’s quite natural to feel a little apprehensive as it gets closer and closer, but I’m sure you will be just fine. A friend of mines daughter started uni in Brisbane last year, she was nervous as well, but she loves it now and is having a great time. I’m sure it will be the same for you.

      My only advice is make lots of friends and have fun.

      Sorry I couldn’t be more helpful, maybe you can let us know what it’s like when you get there?

      Good luck, Bob

  • naila January 8, 2014, 4:50 am |

    hi bob,this is naila from pakistan i told u before that i want to come australia on student visa for the diploma of fashion designing nd i have two kids of 6 nd 4 years old.if they come with me on student visa how much expenditure i have to bear in australian currency.can i consult u for student visa guidance

    • BobinOz January 8, 2014, 9:04 pm |

      No, you can’t consult me for student visa guidance, you need to consult the expert, please read the above article. I do not have the knowledge to assist you. Good luck, Bob

  • David Sanusi November 27, 2013, 8:51 pm |

    Hi Bob,

    You are doing a great job on this website.

    Living permanently in Australia has always been my dream. I have a university degree in Computer Engineering (graduated march 2012) with close to a year of working experience. After thoroughly reading through this website, I believe pursuing a masters degree in Australia would be the right first step towards a permanent residency visa just like Miki. Or do you think otherwise? I have an uncle living in Perth who is an Australian citizen…well enough of the introduction…

    My question is How do I access the Student Assessment Form? I filled in my details in the form above and I was rightly directed to a page that says that I’m already subscribed, since I’ve already signed up on this site before.


    • BobinOz November 28, 2013, 8:13 pm |

      I couldn’t tell you what would or wouldn’t be the best way for you to get to Australia, that’s the job of a MARA registered migration agent. But I have now sent you the form again by email so if you send that off to Peter you’ll get some good advice from him.

      Good luck, Bob

  • sus November 24, 2013, 11:53 pm |

    i have applied for australia student visa from india for feb intake but it’s already 1 month i have not been asked for phone interview nor i have been given visa. why it is slow?and my brother is already in australia in student visa.will it harm in my visa?

    • BobinOz November 25, 2013, 1:43 pm |

      I have no idea how long it takes, but I’m sure it does take much longer than one month. You will need to be patient.

    • Aradhana December 14, 2013, 3:12 am |

      Hi Sus,

      When did you apply for your student visa? I also applied on november’s been more than two weeks but no response till date. For which University and course you have applied for?

  • lizzy November 21, 2013, 1:20 am |

    Hi Bob,
    I’m interested in applying for an Australian student visa, and would like take along my spouse and my son with me should that happen.

    What is your advice regarding dependents who are under 2years old? Given that there are no relatives, what inexpensive options do we have as to who can take care of a toddler while both parents are at work and in school?

    Looking forward to you reply.

    Best regards,

  • James Payne October 31, 2013, 6:42 am |

    Hi Bob,

    I have recently completed my visa assessment for Miki (thank you for recommending him, he has been brilliant!!). From discussing through my answers of my assessment, we’ve established that my best route is to apply for a student visa. He has also been kind enough to suggest an ideal course that would be beneficial for myself going on my education/work experience here in the U.K. I shall also use the student assessment form above to explore my options further. Miki has recommended a course/institution in Brisbane, can you point me in the direction of locations I should research to possibly live in the Brisbane area, student areas, low cost living etc. any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Hope you’re well.

    Many Thanks


    • BobinOz October 31, 2013, 2:00 pm |

      Hi James

      Great to hear that Miki did a good job for you, I don’t recommend him for nothing you know 🙂

      My student days are behind me, but I believe the big area where most of them seem to hang out is St Lucia, I think that’s where the main campus is. I also believe there are lots of houses that have been divided up for students to share and rent there, so that’s where I would start looking.

      Good luck, Bob

      • James Payne November 5, 2013, 9:23 am |

        Hi Bob,

        Did a bit of google mapping on St Lucia, and apartment share. All looks good. Thanks for the recommendation. However only concern is that St Lucia seems a little far down the Brisbane River from APC where I am most likely be studying. The campus is based on Queens Street. Local areas seem to be Redhill or Paddington. Can you offer any insight on these locations? Or are the transport links from St Lucia pretty good enough for a daily commute? I would also need to take into consideration work. I will need some sort of part time work as well to help funds.

        Thanks for the endless help so far. Much appreciated.



        • BobinOz November 5, 2013, 4:43 pm |

          Redhill and Paddington would probably be much more expensive, although I don’t know if there is student type accommodation there. As for public transport, I believe you can get the citycat (boat) direct from a ferry point in St Lucia which will drop you off at the city.

          It’s a great way to travel in and doesn’t take long, the alternative is to use the bike path which I believe travels the entire length of the river from St Lucia to the city and beyond.

          Cheers, Bob

  • faizan October 19, 2013, 5:51 pm |

    hi Sir
    Can u please tell me what is normally salary per hour for international students those works in Restaurants as a waiter and Security guards in Canberra

    • BobinOz October 19, 2013, 9:02 pm |

      I think you’ll find the lucky ones can get about $20 an hour, the not so lucky ones around $10 per hour. That’s generally speaking, I couldn’t tell you specifically about, for example, security guards in Canberra.

  • Mike Judson October 1, 2013, 4:41 pm |

    Hey Bob! Bit of an obscure question seemingly as I’m finding it hard to find the answer anywhere. I am currently on a student visa for a semester abroad in Australia. The thing is I fell in love with the country and I would really like to apply for a work visa but am I allowed to do so if I am already in the country on a student visa? Thanks in advance.


    • BobinOz October 2, 2013, 1:24 pm |

      That really depends on the terms of your current student visa Mike, you need to dig those out to see if there are any restrictions on you extending your stay. If there aren’t, then maybe you do have options.

      My MARA agent came here many years ago on a student visa, he’s still here, now an Australian citizen. If you want him to help you, it all starts with my Visa Assessment Service.

  • israr khan September 4, 2013, 12:01 am |

    hi bob. sir I am a student of 10th class and I read in allama iqbal school and my country is Pakistan please help me and also study in Australia

    • BobinOz September 4, 2013, 3:15 pm |

      Then I suggest you fill in the above form to receive the assessment and return it to my expert for help.

      • israr khan September 29, 2013, 2:36 am |

        hi bob sir I study in astralia please help me

        • israr khan October 3, 2013, 9:53 pm |

          hi bob I abroad study in australia please help me

          • Israr khan December 23, 2013, 1:12 am |

            Hi bob my name Is israr khan I am a 10th class student I abroad study to Australia and the satiation of Australia is very beautiful and my country satiation is very bad you help me bob I also study in Australia .

            • BobinOz December 23, 2013, 2:26 pm |

              Peter will help you, is the expert in this field.

              • Israr khan December 23, 2013, 7:35 pm |

                Yes bob

                • Israr khan December 27, 2013, 1:41 am |

                  Yes bob I have expert in this field.

                  • BobinOz December 28, 2013, 1:05 am |

                    I don’t think you understand me, you need to read the article above and then contact Peter, he is the expert in this field.

                    • Israr khan December 28, 2013, 2:28 am |

                      Me understand bob I have expert in this field .

  • Stephanie August 9, 2013, 1:09 pm |

    Hi Bob,

    I hadn’t heard from Miki as yet. Do you know when I can expect to receive an email from him? I was holding off sending in my visa assessment form until I heard from him.


    • BobinOz August 9, 2013, 1:43 pm |

      Hi Stephanie

      Miki replied to your question on Monday morning, the 5th. I notice you have a Hotmail account, we always have problems with these, they put messages into the spam folder that are genuine, it causes problems.

      Here’s his reply…

      Hi Stephanie,

      Thanks for your email. Below you’ll find a brief response to your enquiry:

      The fact that he only has to go to Uni 2 days doesn’t necessary mean that he isn’t enrolled in full time study (as per the AQF guidelines).
      Also, he might not even need to get the student visa as you can study up to three months on an ETA/visitor visa.
      The $18600 is the full year, the 3 months would therefore be only the $5k as per your email.

      The question is fairly simple, would you prefer to base the application on his skill or happy to do the partner option?

      The reason of my question: While the skilled visa doesn’t put pressure on the relationship, you’ll be up for extra stress, extra expenses. If lodging a Partner visa (if eligible of course) you’ll up for a smaller cost and more flexibility. When your partners WHV expires he’ll roll over to a bridging visa with full work and study rights, medicare benefits etc.
      The partner visa lodgement is not that long if all evidence is ready/ or at least the minimal amount required to make a valid application. Once lodged you wont need to worry about the study issue.

      I look forward to seeing your assessment.


      I have also resent the reply to you now, please look for it in your mail client and if it’s not in your regular mail, search your junk/spam/trash folders to check for it in there. You’ll need to somehow white list our emails so they do not go missing in future.



  • Stephanie August 2, 2013, 2:22 pm |

    Hi Bob,

    Fantastic site – I am currently in the process of filling out an application for Miki but wanted to see if I could get some additional help.
    My partner has a UK Law degree and has had his degree assessed in Australia. He was told that he would need to complete 4 units of study. He is currently on a working holiday visa and has completed 2 units of study (as you can study for a period of 3 months on that visa). He now has 2 units left, and is looking into student visas – we think he will need the non-award student visa as his study isn’t full time (he attends uni 2 days a week)? We are concerned with the living funds required which is $18,610 per year. As he isn’t studying the full year, only three months of that year, will the amount required for living expenses be reduced in his case? e.g to around $5,000 ($18,610 / 12 *3). I could sponsor him on a partner visa but the application time is too long given he wants to study ASAP.

    Appreciate any advise you can give me. There wasn’t any room to make comments about our situation in the client info questionnaire so was worried Miki would asses it and just advise we could get a partner visa when it’s not the path we want to go down right now.


    • BobinOz August 2, 2013, 4:18 pm |

      Hi Stephanie

      Thanks for purchasing your visa assessment from my website, I got the notification through today.

      I have forwarded this comment to Miki by email and I have also copied you in on it, that way you and he have direct access to each other by email. You will hear from Miki soon and hopefully he will have some suggestions for you.

      Hopefully we’ll get something sorted 🙂



  • Prachi August 1, 2013, 3:10 am |

    hello Bob…
    I think U can be the best one to answer my query…
    So the things are like m leaving India in feb 2014 for masters degree in australia on student visa…and m planning to marry after 6 months of that means around July 2014 in can I take my spouse along with at that time…nd How much timw would it take for his application processing?

    • BobinOz August 1, 2013, 7:31 pm |

      I have absolutely no idea Prachi, you would need to consult a MARA agent and discuss your full situation to find out the answer to that.

  • Gabor Peto May 14, 2013, 10:52 pm |

    Hi Bob! No, there is no Submit button. This is what I see:

    And when I try to submit by just hitting the enter, I am getting forwarded to the following site:

    But nothing happens. It’s just a plain white page.

    • BobinOz May 15, 2013, 12:54 am |

      Thanks for providing the image Gabor, absolutely astonishing! As you say, no submit button.

      This particular form is hosted at AWeber, so I can’t fix it, I will have to send them a support ticket. In the meantime though, I have taken the liberty of entering your name and email address into the form this end and submitting it for you 🙂

      By now you should have already received an email from AWeber asking you to confirm the subscription, click on the link in that email and you will be taken to the download page for the form.

      Sorry you have had this trouble Gabor, I will try and get it fixed.

      If anyone else can’t see the submit button, please let me know and if you can also tell me which browser you are using, that will be useful.



      • Gabor Peto May 15, 2013, 5:49 am |

        Yes, I receive the email by now. Thank you very much 🙂

        • BobinOz May 15, 2013, 2:27 pm |


          I spoke to AWeber, they could not replicate the problem their end either, they wondered if it may be a problem on your PC only and suggested clearing your cache to see if that made any difference.

          Cheers! Bob

  • Gabor Peto May 14, 2013, 8:34 pm |

    Hi Bob! The form above is not working for me under Chrome. There is no submit button.

    • BobinOz May 14, 2013, 9:49 pm |

      That’s very strange Gabor, I’ve just tested it this end and it works fine in Chrome, Firefox and Explorer. Try refreshing the page your end and clicking on the Submit button again.

      I assume you can actually see the Submit button?



Cancel reply

Leave a Comment

If your comment doesn’t get answered, find out why…..
FAQs and Comment Policy.