All About Visas for Australian Migration

Australia: No visa = No entry.

Yes, unless you are an Australian citizen, to come to Australia you will need a visa. Visas can be easy to get, or hard to get, depending who you are and which visa you are going for.

And there are more than 130 different visas to choose from.

It’s a very complicated area and, without doubt, the vast majority of questions I’m asked on this website are about visas. As a result, I’ve got quite a few pages about visas and I thought I’d list them here.

visaVisa Assessments

If you really don’t want to have to read a single word about visas, but you just want to know which would be the best visa option for you, assuming you qualify, and you don’t mind paying a small fee, this is for you.

Visit my Visa Assessment Service page.

Latest Visa News Updates

The Australian Government changes the qualification criteria for visas on a regular basis, you can catch up with these changes from the regular updates provided by my MARA migration agent.

Visit Latest Visa News for the updates.

Getting a Visa

If you want to do a bit of research into getting a visa for yourself, this page will show you how to do that and you will also be able to watch a video that shows you how you can explore your options.

Visit my Getting a Visa page.

Points Calculator

Some of Australia’s visas available under the General Skilled Migration (GSM) program are points-based, you need to have enough points to apply. How many points would you get?

Visit my Points Calculator page

Choosing a MARA Agent

I am often asked about choosing a MARA agent and if I can recommend a one; the answer is yes, I can.

Visit my Choosing a MARA Registered Migration Agent page.

Expression of Interest

One rather fine way of moving to Australia is to find a job sponsorship. On 1st July 2012 the then Department of Immigration & Border Control (now the Department of Home Affairs) came out with the new system to help with this; Expression of Interest and Skills Select. Their introduction though has seemed to only lead to more confusion. So I’ve written a page about that as well.

Visit my Expression of Interest page.

Student Visas

Student visas are big business here in Australia, thousands upon thousands of foreign students come here every year to study. Sometimes it can lead to a more permanent residency status. Want to know more?

Visit my Student Visas page.

Working Holiday Visa (WHV)

If you are young enough, currently that’s aged 18 to 30, and you are from a qualifying country, you could come here and try out Australia for a year. Under some circumstances, even longer.

Check out my page about the Working Holiday Visa.

The International English Language Testing System – IELTS

To qualify for some of these visas you may need extra points, and you can sometimes do that by improving your English language score. There are other English language test though, you can find out about them and IELTS on the following page.

Visit How to Pass IELTS.

Need help getting a visa?

Navigating your way through the paperwork and the processes involved in getting a visa for Australia is not easy, that’s why many people choose to use a MARA registered migration agent. On every one of the above-mentioned pages you will find links to my Visa Assessment Service and if at any time you do become overwhelmed, I highly recommend this service to you.

It is not free, but it is worth every cent of the small fee you will be asked to pay. You will need to provide a great deal of information about yourself and your family; in return my MARA agent will spend something like a couple of hours working out your options before presenting them to you in a written report.

If, for any reason, anybody is unhappy with the service and nobody has been yet, I will personally refund your money, I guarantee it.

Would I Qualify?

This is the most common question I am asked on this website, “Would I qualify?” It’s a question that I, personally, cannot answer. Only MARA registered migration agents have the skills and knowledge to answer this kind of question, and under Australian law, they are the only ones allowed to answer it.

That’s all that I explain on the following page, so it’s really NOT WORTH READING and it’s definitely not worth asking me the question in the comments as hundreds of people have already.

Visit Would I Qualify? if you want, but see a MARA migration agent if you really want an answer.

Questions About Visas

Even when you know which kind of visa you want and how to get it, all sorts of complicated questions crop up along the way. These are usually questions I can’t answer either as explained for “Would I qualify?” above, but to find out more if you need to…

Visit my Questions About Visas page.

Important: Please read before commenting…

And for those looking for professional assistance…

Visa Assessment Service
{ 132 comments… add one }
  • bhavik patel May 26, 2016, 8:56 pm |

    I have 5 yrs experience in Telecommunication field from India from 2007-2013.
    Since then i came to New Zealand and did post graduation in Business field and also working in business field.
    But now i would like to apply for Australia GSM visa on based of my Indian experience and study.
    So do they count points for my experience that had in India after 3.5 years of gap between.
    Can i eligible for GSM visa? Is it a good idea or not?
    Thank You

  • Kk April 21, 2016, 7:31 pm |

    Hello ,

    I applied 190 visa on 11 February and CO asked for just overseas PCC which I upload on 15 March and it’s still pending, so please what can be the expected time for this visa ? I am onshore and case officer team is from Brisbane.

  • chamy March 25, 2016, 5:45 pm |

    hi, bob,, i got EoC from edith covan university for MBA, but i have experience in agriculture consultancy, can i apply for PR in Agri consultant by doing this general MBA ?

  • Jimmy March 4, 2016, 10:25 am |


    I’ve been offered a skilled working visa for the same position in either Melbourne or Brisbane- the company are still deciding where I will be best suited.

    The salary is starting at 68,000 AUD, super, vehicle. I’m a travelling service engineer. I’m in my late 20’s and will have no dependants.

    My position in the UK is circa 100,000 AUD , health, vehicle.

    I do live a modest lifestyle here. Do you think there will be a huge difference with my financial situation in terms of income/ cost of living down under?


    • BobinOz March 4, 2016, 5:36 pm |

      I’ve got a page about that, see How much do you need?

      You can also work out your own budget with the help of the links on my page called The Cost of Living in Australia of Everything.

      The cost of living here, in my view, is pretty much the same as in the UK. Some things are cheaper here, some more expensive, but it swings and roundabouts. Obviously you will be earning less here than you have been getting in the UK, so you will be slightly worse off, but it’s a good salary and you should have a decent lifestyle, you just need to try and keep your accommodation expenses low.

      Good luck, Bob

  • Mohammad March 4, 2016, 5:09 am |

    Dear Sir,
    I have applied for 189 visa for australia and I have put my mother in non-migrating dependent section. However, she is illiterate and old and does not have functional English. I thought they will not ask for medical and other document of her but they do.
    Since she is non-migrating member, will this occasion affect my visa if she does not have functional English? What should I do now? Is it possible to withdraw her from the application?
    help me please.

    • BobinOz March 4, 2016, 5:32 pm |

      That’s a question for a MARA migration agent I’m afraid. Good luck, Bob

  • Marina Cone February 10, 2016, 6:04 am |

    Hi Bob I have been in Australia so many time I am so happy over the I don’t thinking about any problem my church is over there banking The people which I hang with are my friend the seine says where is your heart is the is where you belong and my heart has been in Australia for long time So need visa yes need paper yes only God no the best for me

    • BobinOz February 10, 2016, 6:13 pm |

      Okay, but just so that you know, if you want a visa for Australia the only place you can get it from is the Australian Government. Good luck, Bob

  • Kristy Ralston January 14, 2016, 3:15 pm |

    Hi Bob.. Nothing more to say but thank you. You are doing a fantastic job. It’s great to see you take time out to help others where you can. I just think that’s fantastic. Once again…… Thankyou

    • BobinOz January 14, 2016, 8:01 pm |

      Thanks Kristy, your kind words of very much appreciated. Bob

      • Krista Manning January 15, 2016, 5:50 am |

        Totally agree with Kristy 🙂

  • vatsal January 10, 2016, 11:49 am |

    Hi Bob, Mate want to ask you something related towards residency. As I have 60 points with one year work experience. What would you recommend to do?? as I was thinking to lodge 190 applications. I have been to 2 to 3 migrantion agent and I have got confused. I live in sydney and finished my masters in accounting (MPA) then I have done professional year course and one year work ex. So total up 60 pts. Plz if possible recommend the ways.

    • BobinOz January 11, 2016, 7:00 pm |

      I can’t advise you, only MARA agents can do that, see my important notices above.

  • Krista Manning December 20, 2015, 12:46 am |

    HI Bob. Just wanted to say thank you very much for all the great information you provide on your website. We connected with the MARA agent through your Visa Assessment Service. The process was as simple as you described and it was an awesome deal for only $100. We now have a good idea of where we will fair in our visa application and the agent guided us as to what our next steps are in the process. I am so happy we decided to give your visa assessment service a try and highly recommend it to anyone who is interested in moving to Australia. Thanks again!

    • BobinOz December 22, 2015, 9:12 pm |

      Hi Krista

      Thanks for your wonderful comment about my MARA agent and the assessment service, I think it’s an awesome deal as well :-), but it’s always nice when people who have actually been through the service say it is as well.

      Whatever you decide to do with it, I hope it all works out for you and maybe we will be seeing you here in Australia sometime soon. Cheers, Bob

  • Woj October 19, 2015, 6:20 am |

    Hi Bob…again! 🙂

    I have been writing on a couple of other forums before (perthpoms and poms in adelaide). I wrote about my partner visa issue for my wife. I more or less know taht is my only option. There are two visas included thatI pay for, when paying the 7000AUD. One is the partner visa, and the second being the permanent resident visa, which my wife can obtain after two years.
    One of the people on the forum stated, that because we have been married for nearly 8 years, have two kids aged 5 and 2 (6 and 3 when we fly down) – (just a reminder. I have australian citozenship with passport, our kids have citizenship by descent). With a situation like this, apparantly we are eligable for the PR visa for my wife straight away? Have you heard of sthg like that? That because our situation is not “suspicious”, than my wife would be eligable for the permanent resident papers a lot faster?

    • BobinOz October 19, 2015, 5:54 pm |

      Woj, as I think I’ve said to you before, I simply cannot answer any questions about visas and eligibility, it would be illegal for me to do so. It’s okay for people to chat in forums, especially if they are people who do not live in Australia.

      I do live in Australia and therefore I come under Australian law, even if I knew the answers I could not help out. Sorry, but it’s the way it is. It’s the law. If you go to YouTube and search for “Are you giving migration advice?” you will find a short government video that explains the situation in full.

      • Woj October 19, 2015, 10:24 pm |

        Bob, sorry. I thought that advice regarding exactly what visa I would need is one thing, but answering in the sense, that “yes I have heard of sthg like that happen”, or “no I havent” is a different matter, just explaining so you dont think I was trying to push you into something that you cannot do. But like said before, I understand. Rules are rules and theres no other way to go around it.
        Thanks anyway, I will try to get info as the countdown to our trip is slowly starting. Under a year to go 🙂

        All the best.

        • BobinOz October 20, 2015, 4:21 pm |

          No worries Woj, sorry I can’t be more helpful and thanks for understanding. Hope you find the answers you need.

  • Mau September 24, 2015, 10:26 pm |

    I am a polytechnic diploma holder in computer science and engineering from India. I have around 8 years of relevant experience. Should I apply through ACS skill assessment or RPL. Please reply

  • osman mohammed September 9, 2015, 7:47 pm |

    Hi Bob,

    me and my husband came to Australia on 2 July 2015 on a student visa studing masters course name (MPA). me and my husband holding 3 years 7 month experience form India accounting experience with multinational company.last week i write PTE i got each 7 band.some of my friend told that im egible for pr.i dont understand shall i apply for pr .me and my husband age is below 30.
    please let me know.

  • Amanda September 8, 2015, 8:05 pm |

    Hi Bob,

    I have a permanent residency and arrived in Australia in June 2013, I have until 2017 before I can get my citizenship,,, I left the UK just before my visa was due to run out so I can not leave until I have done the four years,,,,,, my mother has become very ill, and well the question is would I be able to get any extension on my visa to leave Australia to visit my mum or the other her funeral…
    I have a scilled migration visa.

    Many thanks

    • BobinOz September 10, 2015, 1:29 pm |

      You would be best off talking to the immigration department about that Amanda, good luck though, Bob

  • Sattick July 5, 2015, 12:05 am |

    Hi! Bob,

    Just had a quick question. I have a friend who is an Indian Passport Holder and has a permanent resident card for Hongkong. He current age is 17years 9 months.
    He shall turn into 18 on the 6/10/2015. However, he will be traveling around 8/10/2015.

    Please let us know what is the Visa Process for the same. He will come to Australia for a 6 months cricket training.

    Thanks a ton.

  • alex May 26, 2015, 10:31 am |

    Hi Bob,
    Me and my husband have just started looking into migrating to Oz. I am a registered Midwife (2 years experience) and my husband is a jcb driver/ground worker. He has also just passed his Hgv class 2. We have 3 children (7/9/15).
    Are you able to recommend which type of visa would be best? I was initially thinking the 457 but I’m now thinking PR would be best.
    Any advice appreciated

    • BobinOz May 26, 2015, 6:46 pm |

      That’s really a choice thing Alex, there are pros and cons to each which you need to consider before deciding which one is best for you. If you’re not sure, it would be best if you spoke to a MARA migration agent or if you went through my Visa Assessment Service.

      If you do qualify for both, a MARA agent would be able to clearly explain the differences between the two, but it would really be down to you to make the final decision as to which kind of visa would be best in your circumstances.

      Good luck, Bob

  • Kuldeep May 13, 2015, 9:01 pm |

    I have applied study visa to study in kent institution of business and technology in Sydney..My funds are genuine with bank loan .. what are the percentage of getting visa?

    • BobinOz May 14, 2015, 6:33 pm |

      I simply have no idea, you will have to wait to see how your application goes.

  • christabel February 13, 2015, 11:41 pm |

    do i need a visa for australia with italian passport can i get a job?

    • BobinOz February 16, 2015, 1:31 pm |

      Yes, you need a visa.

  • BobinOz October 31, 2014, 5:28 pm |

    raji and ian, they are questions for a MARA agent, I can’t assist.

  • ian October 31, 2014, 4:27 am |

    Hi job, I am visiting Australia for a holiday for 3 weeks from 8th Nov 2014. I have been granted a evisitor (class tv):subclass651 from the dept of immigration, I am just a little concerned i need to pay for acETA instead, any advice please.


    Ian brock

  • raji September 30, 2014, 8:31 pm |

    I am planning to apply for PR under skilled migration relative sponsorship.I can obtain 60 marks including 3 years working experience which is completed in next March.If I apply skill asssessment in this month,is there any problem in point calculation.
    And also I want to know whether my relative need to pay any amount for this process.

  • rehan September 28, 2014, 9:39 pm |

    hi bob,
    one of agent advice me with out ielts will get employment visa. for Australia
    i don’t think so its possible could you please help me out.


    • BobinOz September 29, 2014, 11:36 pm |

      Hi Rehan

      I don’t understand your question, it does not make sense.


      • Kuldeep May 13, 2015, 9:04 pm |

        Hello sir..i got 6.5 bands and i have applied for kent institution of business and technology..what are the chances to get visa?

  • raji September 24, 2014, 4:22 pm |

    hi Bob;
    I am 27 years and graguated in agriculture.Also I am having advanced diploma in CIMA which is in accounting field.I want to know whether I can get (10+15) =25 marks for this or not.
    My Ielts exam result is above 6 in each section.3 years experience as an agriculture sister has pr in there.which pr sub class should I apply to get pr.I am in dilema to apply in 190 or 489 sub class.Please advice on me.

    • BobinOz September 24, 2014, 6:40 pm |

      This is the sort of thing you should be discussing with a MARA registered migration agent if you want professional assistance. I highly recommend my Visa Assessment Service, it will answer all of your questions and more.

      Good luck, Bob

  • Andrea September 20, 2014, 11:05 pm |

    Hi There

    I just got married in serbia 2 months ago and woohoo to that, BUT now I’m back in oz and doing the IMMI online Partner visa, everything so far looks ok, but there is a question asking proof of financials, Now not everyone lives together for years than gets married that have already combined bank details and leases i spent all of 6 months when i came back living with him before we tied the not, we obviously don’t live together YET or have those sort of things cause we married sooner than most, so what do you do in this case?? i went there in 2013 by than we got in a relationship 2 months later came home to aux, I went back 6 months later and he proposed, we than married 5 months later, so if you see my drift, I am confused what finacials would be needed :))

    thank you

    • BobinOz September 22, 2014, 7:36 pm |

      I don’t know what you can do in this situation, if you are concerned as to how to reply, then it may be worthwhile consulting with a MARA registered migration agent to get their assistance with your application.

      Good luck, Bob

  • Jack August 30, 2014, 9:03 am |

    Hi Bob,
    I have recently just completed a gap year in Aus on the special program visa, I am planning on coming back on the working visa. I was a teaching assistant during my gap year, is it possible to gain sponsorship and stay for longer than 2 years being a TA? As my plan is to live in Aus. Cheers

    • BobinOz August 30, 2014, 8:12 pm |

      It might be possible but to know for sure you would need to speak to a MARA registered migration agent and give him all the relevant information so he can answer your question accurately. Or you can go through my Visa Assessment Service to get the answers you are looking for.

      Good luck, Bob

  • marie August 13, 2014, 12:20 am |

    Hi bob,
    I need a bit of advice. I am from n.ireland. My fiancé is being sponsored by his employer under the 457 visa so myself and our 3 kids are going over to Australia with him for the 4 years. Is the medical assessment needed since we are from a ‘low risk’ country? Also my youngest so who is 9 months old has noonan syndrome. He does have daily needs that I take care of (tube fed) and we will be getting private health care for the whole family through bupa. But I was wondering will his condition affect our visa application if he has medical issues? Is there a higher chance of it being rejected because of this? I have rang the embassy but they couldn’t give me an answer and told me to check their website. I did this and still isn’t clear. Thanks 🙂

    • BobinOz August 13, 2014, 7:42 pm |

      Everybody needs a medical irrespective of which country they are coming from, although the rules might be slightly different on temporary visas like the 457. Same thing for your young child’s condition, you shouldn’t have a problem provided you have sufficient private medical insurance to cover you during your temporary stay.

      It may get a bit tricky if you wanted to go on and apply for permanent residency if the condition your child has is deemed to potentially have high ongoing maintenance costs, but that’s something you should discuss with the Australian authorised medical doctor or maybe your MARA agent.

      Google “Fact Sheet 22—The Health Requirement” for more information.

      Please be aware that I am not a MARA agent, I’m just saying how I think it works, you do need to get this verified by someone who is qualified to answer you accurately, like a MARA agent.

      Good luck, Bob

      • marie August 15, 2014, 12:07 am |

        Thanks Bob for you’re reply. I must get in touch with a MARA to make sure.

  • Syeda June 29, 2014, 1:42 am |

    Hi Bob

    I am ready to submit my EOI to get State Nomination as I am planning for General Skilled Migrant Visa. My Questions are: whether I should get my documents assessed first (through Vetassess) and then submit EOI? Is assessment need to be done before submission of EOI? How long will it take to get the assessment and acceptance of EOI through any State in general? and after getting acceptance from a State, how long will it take to get Australian Visa?

    Thanks in advance

    • BobinOz June 29, 2014, 9:17 pm |

      All I can tell you is there is no set time period on getting an EOI accepted, for some people it can be quite fast and for others they may never get an invite. I think you do have to get your skills assessment done first, but you might want to doublecheck on that. There’s a lot of people who read my page all about EOI so you might want to read that page and also the many comments that followed, I’m sure you’ll find information very useful and it will probably answer all of your questions.

      Cheers, Bob

      • marie August 13, 2014, 12:24 am |

        Yes I was told by embassy to get skills assessment before submitting an EOI

  • Rosanne Ryan June 19, 2014, 5:32 pm |

    Guess what, we got our 186 PR VISA in a record breaking 3 weeks from application to approval!!!! My head is spinning. Don’t even know where to start. Your the first to know!!!!! Now we have to tell the rellies. Wish us luck!!!
    Can’t believe it. Your site and all contributions have been invaluable. Keep up the great work.

    • BobinOz June 19, 2014, 9:49 pm |

      Congratulations! And I hope your head stops spinning soon 🙂

      Good luck with the rellies, I do hope that conversation goes well. And I’m glad my website has been helpful to you, I just hope you get to love this country is much as I do.

      Cheers, Bob

  • arun June 12, 2014, 1:18 pm |

    Hi bob
    I have question regarding vetassess.hope you will answer. Yesterday i got a call from vetassess.unfortunately i could not answer the call as i was busy in a meeting. Then they called my employer but he doesn’t know Q is whether they will call me again? Or they will send a negative outcome? Plz help me bob.

    • BobinOz June 12, 2014, 8:21 pm |

      Well I can’t speak on behalf of the person who called you or vetassess, but I would think they would call you again. Good luck, Bob

  • avni June 8, 2014, 11:02 pm |

    Hello Bob,

    we are in the process for a pr in (190 visa) oz. In July we would be applying for our visa assessment. Could you let me know while applying what should be the passport validity of all our family members?


    • BobinOz June 10, 2014, 3:53 pm |

      I think they state that there should be at least two years left, but they will let you know specifically in writing what is required during the process. Good luck, Bob

  • Holley June 3, 2014, 3:04 pm |

    Thanks Bob, we will be submitting our assessments this week. Holding thumbs, I’ll let you know how it goes

    • BobinOz June 3, 2014, 5:00 pm |

      Good luck, I have my fingers crossed for you as well.

  • Holly May 30, 2014, 11:18 pm |

    Hi Bob, we are busy completing the assessment forms we got from your site. Both my husband and I are each doing one. we own two businesses and a property in SA which we will be keeping as they generate income for us. Hubby wants to open a new business in Australia along the same lines as our SA business, tourism related. In the assessment forms there is a facility for us to complete a section regarding business stuff, but it says only to complete this section if you are applying for certain business visas. Now at this stage we are doing the assessment to find out which visas we would qualify for, so I’m not sure exactly what to do. Please help…

    • BobinOz June 2, 2014, 2:57 pm |

      Hi Holly

      Okay, sounds like you’d be better off leaving that part of the questionnaire blank for now. Just explain in a covering email that you would consider starting a new business here in Australia and would therefore be possible candidates for certain business visas and let my agent decide on your options from there.

      Good luck, I hope your assessment goes well.


  • David May 24, 2014, 5:24 pm |

    We are leaving because simply I cannot find work, we came here to have a better lifestyle but my OH is working so hard to keep the house going. What broke the Camels back for me was being told in feedback from a job interview that I needed to get more experience working with Kiwis!!!! HELLO where do the Majority of your children go on their OE ?? So NZ has not really made us feel at home.

    • BobinOz May 25, 2014, 7:51 pm |

      Hello Jane and David

      I don’t know what the correct way around of doing it would be, I leave that kind of thing to my MARA agent to work out. But David is right to point out to you Jane that there are problems for New Zealanders who have the automatic right to move here. I wrote about it in my post New Zealanders in Australia: What’s the Problem?

      It’s worth the read if you haven’t already done so, and I think the comments are worth looking at as well, it’s quite a fascinating debate.

      Good luck, Bob

  • David May 24, 2014, 4:38 pm |

    Well if its a 3 year plan then why not just start the PR process, as you have the time to obtain PR and if it doesn’t happen then you still have the citizenship visa to fall back on. We are in a worse boat than you as we are only permanent Residents in NZ so have to go PR to get to OZ, and we are both 44 so need to get it sorted. And yes the Trans Tasman agreement is very one side ( as an OZ PR you can work in NZ but not other way round)

    • Jane Adams May 24, 2014, 4:45 pm |

      Very good point and definitely something to consider starting now. Aside from that can I ask why you are thinking of leaving NZ for Aussie? I am definite it is something I want to do but my husband is not so sure so I am always keen to get other peoples opinions on the reasons for leaving NZ.

  • Jane Adams May 24, 2014, 12:13 pm |

    Hi Bob, My husband and are living in New Zealand and have citizenship for New Zealand although we are both from the UK. If we wanted to come to Aus would we be best coming in as New Zealand citizens and then applying for a visa as English people once we are established and have work do you think? Certainly seems the easiest way to us. We would also bring with us our two little kiwi born girls.

    • David May 24, 2014, 1:42 pm |

      Hi Jane just saw this and thought i would give you issues with not getting OZ PR.

      New Zealanders who move to Australia are considered temporary residents upon arrival. They can work and live in Australia indefinitely – a right afforded only to Kiwis – but they cannot access many social security payments, including unemployment benefits.

      Some of the benefits that are available – such as superannuation and severe disability payments – are paid for by the New Zealand government, which paid out more than $200 million last year to support expatriates in Australia.

      Many New Zealand children who finish school in Australia cannot access student loans or work in government jobs, because of their “temporary” status.

      To gain the same rights as Australians have in New Zealand, Kiwis must apply for permanent residency and meet strict skill requirements.

      Hope this helps with your decision


      • Jane Adams May 24, 2014, 4:31 pm |

        Thanks David, so are you saying that we should apply for a visa before we come as kiwi’s and not as British citizens? I just feel that once we are there and have work which we can do tomorrow if we want to as a result of having NZ citizenship we could then go the work sponsor route which might be an easier way given that we are both now 41 and this is probably a three year plan rather than a right now? I definitely think the easy option is to come in as kiwi’s but I am aware of what we don’t get if we do that (which incidentally I think is very unfair given that Aussie’s can work and gain all the benefits of living here if it is the other way around).

  • David Fletcher May 8, 2014, 2:30 pm |

    Hi Bob,

    Great site we are just starting the process and have already obtained an interview at a Brissy Hospital!! do you know if we still require points system if we use the employer sponshorship PR Visa?



    • BobinOz May 8, 2014, 9:53 pm |

      Hi David

      Thanks, glad you like the site.

      I’m not a MARA agent, so I don’t know how it all works, but if you know specifically which visa you are going for I will try and find out.

      Cheers, Bob

      • David Fletcher May 9, 2014, 7:27 am |

        Thanks Bob

        We was going to go down the Skilled Migrant 189 but now with a potential job offer we are looking at Employer Nomination Scheme 186, well that’s if we are allowed to. We are coming over from New Zealand but are only Permanent Residents, so get no help under the reciprocal agreement ( which is funny cos OZ PR’s can come and go freely in NZ!!!)
        Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I will refrain from calling you Bro or Cuz 😉


        • BobinOz May 9, 2014, 10:05 pm |

          No, I can’t really help, we are moving into MARA migration agent territory, that’s who you should be talking to. My guy could help you out through the visa assessment service mentioned in the above article.

          Don’t forget to have read of New Zealanders in Australia: What’s the Problem?

          Good luck, Bob

  • chidinma osuji April 8, 2014, 12:23 am |


    I humbly apply for job and visa in your

    reputable company. I am an


    Nurse and Registered Nurse Midwife (RNM)

    I will be appreciative if my job is granted

    and you direct me on the steps to be taken.

    Thanking you for your anticipated co-operation.

    Yours faithfully,

    • BobinOz April 8, 2014, 8:15 pm |

      Thank you for your application. May I just confirm exactly where you saw the job advertised?

      Many thanks, Bob

  • Hilton April 1, 2014, 6:19 pm |

    Hi there Bob
    I am a New Zealander and don’t require a visa but I would like to migrate to oz. What benefits do I receive as a New Zealander. I will be working and paying taxes. Do I receive a pension when I retire?

  • vita March 10, 2014, 10:25 am |

    Can you please help me with advice. My parents are now in Ukraine , and the situation where as you maybe know not good(close to war). I am afraid for their life, also as they are now 63 and 62years old, maybe risk for them everyone can estimate differently.How is possible bring them here to Australia permanently.Also me and my brother legally live here.Can we apply to protection or humanization visa?

    • BobinOz March 10, 2014, 11:10 pm |

      Yes, things are looking quite bleak in the Ukraine right now, I can understand your concern.

      You need to speak to a MARA agent about this, I’m not qualified to advise you. My MARA registered migration agent is very good and you can get the ball rolling with him through my Visa Assessment Service.

      Good luck, Bob

  • Jamie February 17, 2014, 9:45 am |

    Hi Bob,

    I am a US citizen currently living in the US. My boyfriend is an Australian Citizen who had been living in the US for 20 years. He recently had to move back to Australia very quickly and unexpectedly, leaving me here in the US. I don’t think I qualify for any of the skilled visa’s and we do not want to wait so long for me to get a work and holiday visa. We are thinking about getting married so that we can be together in Australia. I was wondering if I come to Australia on a regular tourism visa and we get married, will I be able to apply for a more permanent visa then, based on the fact that he is a citizen? If so, would I be able to remain in Australia while the application is being evaluated?

    Any answers you have or places you can point me to for the information would be so helpful!

    • BobinOz February 17, 2014, 8:11 pm |

      Hi Jamie

      From what I’ve been told, no, it’s very unlikely that you can do what you are hoping to do. These marriage or partner visas take quite some time to arrange and as a general rule.

      That’s my understanding of it anyway, but if you want a more accurate and professional answer you should really be discussing this with a MARA registered migration agent or going through my Visa Assessment Service.

      Good luck, Bob

  • samantha smith February 14, 2014, 8:28 am |

    Hi there bob I wonder if you could help me. Im looking to move to Australia February 2015 and have been looking at going to Adelaide on a temporary state migration plan as im am a qualified chef and not able to qualify for a skilled visa. Would you happen to know if my 10 year old son would qualify on that as well as I cannot find any info on that. Thanking you

    • BobinOz February 15, 2014, 9:34 pm |

      I think it is usual for dependent children to be included on most temporary skilled visa applications, but I can’t tell you for sure in this case as I do not know the situation of your son’s father. For example, you may need to prove that your son is dependent on yourself and not his father and if his father is still around, you may need his permission, by way of a legally signed document, to take your son out of the country.

      For a professional and more accurate answer you really need to be talking to a MARA agent and/or a lawyer.

  • Nicola February 1, 2014, 10:08 pm |

    Hi Bob,

    I would like to know if you could shed any light on visa options. My partner and I have just returned from a holiday to Australia over Christmas and New Year and re confirmed our decision to move to Australia, we now just want to do this as soon as possible.

    He is an Electrician and ideally we’d like to qualify for a Skilled Independent visa (me as a defacto-partner), however are unable to apply until later on this year as we need an additional 5 points which he’ll receive once he’s been qualified for 3 years.

    We want to look at all options, and are wondering if we could go out there this year on a working holiday visa and then apply for a skilled visa once we are out there? Do you know if this common? We’re also wondering about sponsorship as we know people that have done this once they got out there but we know that this is a little more risky, but hopefully we could get sponsored jobs for an Electrician and myself Events/Sales in hospitality.

    Any advice would be great, we have spoken to an MARA approved agent out here, however they are only speaking to us about the skilled option.

    An advice or directions to look would be greatly appreciated.

    Thank you

    • BobinOz February 3, 2014, 2:00 pm |

      Hi Nicola

      I’m not qualified to advise you on visa options, only MARA registered agents are the ones with the up-to-date knowledge to do that. So I’ll leave that to your agent to do that. I do have a package all about finding sponsorships though and if I remember correctly, it does mention something about the advantages of coming over on a WHV to look for work.

      You can find out more details on my page How to Find a Sponsored Job in Australia.

      Good luck, Bob

  • osman December 18, 2013, 6:32 am |

    hi bobinoz my dream is work in australia currently im in india i done my MBA. ineed job in australia like any hot job. example secirity ect ect. my goals is earn money..plz advice….

  • Ivi December 3, 2013, 3:57 pm |

    Hi I just want to check that whether my qualification can allow me to work in Australia? Currently I living in Malaysia. I having the ITEC Diploma in Diet and Nutrition. Is this one of the skill required in Australia? Thanks.

    • BobinOz December 4, 2013, 12:32 pm |

      I couldn’t tell you without checking the list, it changes all the time. Please see my page called Getting a Job or a Sponsorship and you will see a link in their to the skills lists, you can look it up for yourself.

      Good luck, Bob

  • Dr Aniket November 27, 2013, 12:35 am |

    Hi Bob,
    As I told in my previous discussion with you over medical systems around the world (I hope Mrs Bob is recovering well from her fracture) that i am about to move to Melbourne as a Psychiatrist and hence currently working on my AHPRA registration and Visa process. I do have sponsors obviously and will be coming on 457 visa (4years). I wish to know after how much time I become eligible for applying for permanent residency. Secondly I wanted to know whether I could bring my parents (I am their single child) apart from my spouse (I don’t have kids yet) on 457 visa as they are now dependent on me (or rather I am emotionally dependent on them). Is their any provision in ur knowledge to include parents during application for the PR? By the way just in case you don’t know 457 visa fees has been hiked ridiculously from 455$ to 1035$ per person making things difficult for migrants like me !

    • BobinOz November 27, 2013, 3:38 pm |

      Hello Doctor

      How long you are required to live here before you can apply for PR will be stipulated on the terms and conditions of your visa when you get it. These things change all the time so I am reluctant to say how long it will be for you exactly.

      As for whether or not your parents can come, that is a way more complicated question, only a professional MARA agent can really advise you on that. If you want my guy to help, please go through my Visa Assessment Service.

      Good luck, Bob

  • william low November 17, 2013, 4:12 pm |


    My son will be graduating from RMIT in June 2014 in Accountancy. Assuming he doesn’t has a job offer, is there another way he can obtain a PR, say, investments? (I have a half-sister (PR) who lives in Mel.)

    Thx! William.

    • BobinOz November 18, 2013, 4:35 pm |

      I couldn’t tell you William, that would be one you would have to ask (if you wanted to) of my MARA agent through my Visa Assessment Service.

      Good luck, Bob

  • Sandeep Kumar November 13, 2013, 1:21 am |

    Hi Bob,
    I want to apply for Australia PR. My education and personal details as per following. Pls go thorough and suggest but i can do for Australia PR.

    1 B-Com Passed April 2002
    2 MBA – Finance July 2013
    3 Aged 31 (23-02-1983)
    4 Family (Wife age 26, Spouse 1 year)
    5 My cousin sister work in Australia last 3 year (PR)
    6 Working experience 9 year in accounts field Pvt. co.

    How many IELTS Point require for Me……..

    Thanks & Regards,
    Sandeep Kumar

    • BobinOz November 13, 2013, 12:38 pm |

      I’m not qualified to answer this, if you want professional help please engage my MARA registered migration agent through my Visa Assessment Service.

  • Kalua October 18, 2013, 9:25 am |

    Hello bob this is Kalua I m studying in aus frm last 5 yrs I m 24 now and want to get married with 63 yr old women
    Would diac accept this ????
    Plss help or should I go back and then got married

    • BobinOz October 18, 2013, 2:21 pm |

      Life moves in mysterious ways, doesn’t it?

      These marriage visas are thoroughly vetted by DIAC to make sure they are genuine and it is a very lengthy process, I believe it takes up to 5 years. You have your work cut out.

  • Rustam ahmed October 12, 2013, 5:35 am |

    Hi,bob how are you?i am rustam ahmed.i want to pay fos visa assessment.please can you tell me how can pay?and i dont undestand what is paypal can you tell me easy way to pay and how much USD must i pay.

    • BobinOz October 12, 2013, 6:19 pm |

      I am well, thank you Rustam.

      PayPal is simply a payment gateway, as long as you have a credit card then simply click the buy now button and when you get through to the PayPal page look for the link that says something like “pay by credit card”.

      You do not need a PayPal account to make the payment, just a credit card. The form should tell you exactly how much it will be in US dollars, but at current exchange rates it will certainly be less than $100 US.

      Hope that helps, thanks, Bob

  • skinner October 11, 2013, 1:15 am |

    hi can you tell me if you are moving to Australia do you need a certain amount of money as a back-up and also if you only rent in England and have no house to sell is that acceptable.
    and also can you just turn up with two small children if you have no-where to live in Australia.
    do you have to organize renting a property before you arrive
    also do you have to pay for a visa before you have been accepted

    • BobinOz October 11, 2013, 6:41 pm |

      Well, yes, you will need a certain amount of money, moving here isn’t cheap. How much exactly, I can’t tell you, but for us it was over £12,000. It doesn’t matter that you don’t own a house in the UK and yes, you can turn up with two small children if you have nowhere to live.

      But you won’t want to be sleeping rough, you’ll need to book up a hotel or apartment as soon as possible, or organising a rental before you get here (which isn’t easy to do) would be preferred. And yes, you do have to pay for your visa before it has been accepted.


  • Doreen August 25, 2013, 12:07 am |

    Hi Bob
    I paid for my visa assessment last night and saved the download link to my computer,when I re-opened it today i noticed there was no sumit button at the end of the form to send to you as the original download had so could you re-send the download to my email address and i will try sending it to you again…Thanks…I do have my Transaction ID number if you want me to give it to you??

    • BobinOz August 25, 2013, 1:15 am |

      Hi Doreen
      This is normal. The submit button doesn’t appear until after you have completed the form. To test this, open the first page and go to..

      I have read the above instructions and I am ready to proceed: (Click to start)
      Press this button

      Then go straight to page 6 and where it says…

      Have you completed all the required questions?
      Is all the information you have provided true, complete and correct?

      When you say yes to both questions, the submit button appears along with the email address.

      So try that, let me know how it goes.

      Thanks, Bob

Leave a Comment

If your comment doesn’t get answered, find out why…..
FAQs and Comment Policy.