Getting a Job Sponsorship in Australia and Finding Work

Getting Sponsored

This article was first published here back in May 2011, since then it has become one of the most read pages on my website and has led to the most comments. So many people have asked me how THEY can get a job sponsorship here in Australia, and I simply haven’t been able to answer that question for them comprehensively.

You're hiredUntil now.

For more information, please visit the following page which will open in a new window…

How to Find a Sponsored Job in Australia

But please do take the time to finish reading the information on this page first. On with the original article…

Job Sponsorships

Whether it is possible for you to get a job sponsorship or not in Australia is largely dependent upon your skills and qualifications.

I am quoting the Department of Immigration & Border Control (DIBP) from the page on their website specifically about the Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS)…….

Who is this visa for?

“This visa is for Australian employers who want to sponsor highly skilled workers for a permanent visa to work in their business. The employees can be either:

• highly skilled workers from overseas
  • highly skilled temporary residents currently in Australia.

So, before you can even think about the possibility of getting a job sponsorship, you will need to have a skill and qualifications to match, so your first task is to take a look to see if your skill is on one of these skills lists. The government recently removed it’s ‘Is Your Skill in Demand’ page, but take a look at this page instead and the links on it….

Visit DIBPs: Employer Sponsored Workers Skilled Occupation Lists page and this is the Consolidated Sponsored Occupation List (CSOL).

(This link may change, if it no longer gives the information I suggest it does, please let me know in the comments so I can update it.)

Assuming your skill is on one of those lists, how do you then set about getting sponsored? Here are a few ideas:

• Get yourself a professionally prepared Australian resume.
  • Not all vacancies are publicly advertised, so do some research on Australian companies that might be able to make use of your specific skill. Send them your professional resume direct.
  • Follow up with a telephone call to see if they have received it and at the same time, ask if sponsoring applicants from abroad is something their company would be likely to do.
  • If the company says yes, we would sponsor from abroad, but we have no vacancies at present, ask if you can stay in touch. If they say yes, contact them every three months.
  • Over time, you’ll build a network of people who you know in your trade. This increases your chances of something turning up.
  • Finally, if you get the chance to come out to Australia, line up meetings with these people if you can.

Working Holiday Visas

But if you are young and you qualify for a working holiday visa, you can visit Australia for 12 months (extendable to 24 months under certain conditions) and work. What better way to build on that networking?

Visit: Working Holiday for up to date information from the Australian Government, or my own WHV page for further details.

Of course, there’s also nothing to stop you searching for vacancies online and I have listed the best places to do that further below.

FAQ’s About Getting a Job or Finding Work

I get asked lots of questions about work here in Australia, some questions I get asked again and again. People usually tell me a little bit about their skills, qualifications and what it is they do, and then ask:

• Will I get a job in Australia?
  • Would I get a sponsorship in Australia?
  • How much money will I earn in Australia?
  • Which city should I go to for the best opportunities for what I do?

So, what are the answers?

Will I get a job in Australia?

This is pretty much the same as the question “Would I get a sponsorship in Australia?” It’s a tough one, impossible to answer.

Nobody can really tell you whether or not you’d get a job in Australia, ultimately that’s down to you to impress a potential employer at an interview, whether that be face-to-face or by Skype or telephone. So it is an impossible question to answer.

It is true to say though that some skills are in more demand here than others, and on that basis if you have a skill that is highly desired in Australia, you would appear to have a better chance. I couldn’t tell you what that chance is though, I simply don’t keep up to date all the latest shortages on any of the skills lists.

I’ve already provided a link to those lists earlier in this article, so you can check for yourself to see if your skill is there. But even if your skill is on one of those lists, there is still no guarantee that you will find a job here.

I really do recommend those who have concerns in this area to talk with a MARA registered migration agent or a recruitment Specialist. My Visa Assessment Service does include a full skills lists search for those looking to come here on any of the General Skilled Migration visas.

How much money can I earn in Australia?

Good question.

If you want to know how much money you might earn here in Australia, that’s actually quite straightforward, please visit the following Australian Government’s website:

Simply search for your skill in their database and find out a huge amount of information, including average weekly earnings.

Which city should I go to for the best opportunities for what I do?

That only leaves one more question to answer, and that’s which city might be best for you given the skill you have. Again, impossible for me to answer, but I would suggest you search any or all of the below recommended online employment agencies for what you do, and simply see which cities or states come up with the most opportunities for what it is that you do.

Search for Jobs in Australia

Or search here, these are four more of the top online employment sites in Australia:

More useful links:

For your professional Australian resume, I recommend The Resume Centre

For more information about job sponsorships from DIBP…

Visit: Employer Sponsored Workers

Current Available Job Sponsorships

If you are looking for sponsorship in Australia, from time to time I do get jobs listed on the following page:

Applying for Sponsorships

Finally, if you are seriously looking for a job sponsorship here in Australia, don’t forget to check out this page:

Important: Please read before commenting…

legal_notice

And for those looking for professional assistance…
vas_notice

It's good to share...Share on Facebook107Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on Google+11Share on Reddit0Pin on Pinterest4Share on StumbleUpon0
  • Alice March 26, 2017, 5:58 pm | Link

Thank you for this very thorough and interesting read. I especially liked two bits of information that you gave because I didn’t find them elsewhere: to call companies over the phone to see if they could sponsor you and to follow up on your application. I think it’s very good advice because lots of people are too afraid to call. They think they’ll be too pushy, but I actually think it’s a good way to show that you are motivated. I also like your tip about building a network of people in your trade. That’s a very important strategy to find a job in Australia, because like you said, most jobs aren’t advertised online. I wrote a guide on how to find a job in Australia from India (I live there). If you don’t mind, I’d be happy to share it here: http://www.myjobinaustralia.com/how-to-find-a-job-in-australia-from-india/

• BobinOz March 27, 2017, 8:23 pm | Link

Hi Alice

Thank you for the kind words about my advice here, and yes, I’m happy for you to share your link here. The more help the better. Cheers, Bob

• Emily March 24, 2017, 4:45 pm | Link

Hi there,

I completed the CIQ and got a response saying it had been received on the 25th of January and that it would be 5 – 7 working days before I receive the report back. It now been nearly 2 months. I did email again to check up on it and ask when I could expect to hear back, but had no response.
    Any help would be great, as I obviously spent $100 and several hours completing the form!

Emily

• BobinOz March 24, 2017, 5:26 pm | Link

Hi Emily

My MARA agent initially responded to you on 11 February, four or five days after that you emailed him to chase up and ask him why you hadn’t heard anything yet. He replied to you again on 16 February explaining that he had already replied and resent that reply.

Sounds to me as though both emails that my agent sent on those two days have gone into your spam or junk folder. I notice you have a Hotmail account, I’m afraid they sometimes do some strange things with genuine emails, so please check in your other folders and in particular the spam and junk folders.

If you can’t find anything, let me know and I will send it all to you again. My MARA agent is waiting to have a follow-up Skype conversation with you about your situation.

• Rupal March 23, 2017, 4:26 pm | Link

I have recently shifted to Melbourne from India. I am a French teacher by profession.
    I would like to know which certificates are mandatory for me to be able to teach in australia.
    Please advise.

Regards,
    Rupal

• BobinOz March 24, 2017, 6:21 pm | Link

To get the absolutely correct answer, it would probably be best if you get in touch with the teaching association in Victoria, which I believe is The Council of Professional Teaching Associations of Victoria (CPTAV), but I’m not 100% sure. They will tell you precisely what you need.

• Mark March 24, 2017, 7:00 pm | Link

You need to register with VIT Victorian Institute of Teachers. They will ask you for qualifications etc, you may likely have to submit to have skills assessed and also tell you what you need and of course if you apply for a job. The only quirk is French is not that widely taught in Australia. In fact id say its taught very little Japanese, Indonesian, Mandarin and the like are some of the languages. .

• Takudzwa nhau March 19, 2017, 6:06 am | Link

Lam takudzwa from zimbabwe who is sixteen yeara old who is looking for sponsorship in your country or company please do it for me l beg you l need to go to euro tech football for 2 year course and at mifa for a training course and also at uk football trials this things need lot of money but l can’t afford please do it for me

• firaol March 12, 2017, 8:47 am | Link

hi
    my name is Firaol .it been my dream to work in Australia I graduated international degree this year in field of material engineering I went start my career in Australia. do u suggest some company that sponsor me .please

• Malobika Saha Naskar February 28, 2017, 11:43 pm | Link

My name is Malobika Saha Naskar. I worked Govt. Of India undertaking company. Taking voluntary Retirement in the year 2015 because as per decision of Govt. Of India to closed loss making company. I worked as an Assistant clerk. My experienced in this assignment is 24 years. Now I want to work Australia. Please help me . My aunt lives in sydney. Thank you,

• James February 21, 2017, 8:29 pm | Link

I currently live in the UK. I have recently left a career that would have allowed me to get an independent skills visa. I’m not currently ready to make the move to Australia but might be in 2 or 3 years. My question is, if I apply for a visa now can I keep it without using it straight away and move later, and also get a job different to the skill that allowed me to get the visa?

• BobinOz February 26, 2017, 10:49 pm | Link

If you check out the video on my page about Visas, then you can see how to find out the specific terms that apply to each visa types.

Unfortunately, even though I’m very sure I know the answer to this, I cannot answer it because only MARA registered migration agents can legally address these kinds of questions. The video I’ve mentioned though should point you in the right direction though. If in doubt, consult with a MARA migration agent. Cheers, Bob

• nik February 18, 2017, 12:46 am | Link

I found an employer from Australia Can someone explain to me the whole procedure for nomination by the employer in Australia. What should he do, and what should I do I’m from Macedonia THANKS

• BobinOz February 19, 2017, 8:07 pm | Link

It’s very complicated, so if he doesn’t know what to do then he should engage the services of a MARA registered migration agent, see my page about Migration agents.

• Asenowo Dominic February 14, 2017, 6:15 am | Link

My name is Dominic I’m pastrychef from Nigeria with more than ten years experience and right now I’m still working with federal Palace hotel and casino in Nigeria,can i get job in Australia because I wish to work in Australia.thanks

• SAM11480 February 10, 2017, 2:22 pm | Link

Hi there Bob,
    Loving your website-highly informative. However, I can’t seem to find any information online about my below query.

I am a Primary School Teacher with ten years experience, wanting to move to Western or South Australia. My occupation is on the CSOL but not the SOL or the individual states SOL. Does this mean that there is no way I can get state sponsorship? If this is the case, then how do I go about getting employer sponsorship and will this even be possible if there is no skill shortage in my profession? Should I be contacting schools directly?

Any information/advice specific to my query would be fantastic as the dream is slowly dying before it even got chance to get started : (
    Many thanks,
    Sam

• BobinOz February 10, 2017, 7:36 pm | Link

I’m afraid these are the kinds of questions I simply cannot answer Sam, please see my special notices above. Don’t give up on the dream though, speak to a MARA registered migration agent, or go through my Visa Assessment Service.

• Mark February 11, 2017, 8:24 am | Link

Id second what Bob says have a look at using an agent they will assess you for free or very little cost but also have a look at other states unless you are really stuck on your choices. Even the other states will want you for a couple of years and then you can move to SA or WA maybe but hopefully youd be happy anyway, its kind of once your in, your in. Have a look at say Victoria. Its still state sponsored as long as you teach a bit of Language.. German or French maybe? Many Primary Teacher s if your later KS2 in UK incorporate some French in lessons.

Employee sponsorship route is going to be hard in some respects and contacting schools directly in the public sector I feel would be fruitless as they would need to say they could not find within their state and Australia, for public schools that would be difficult as they are arguably saying to the same state that does the skills list, “We cant find anyone”. So your last and best perhaps only option this way would be private schools. I even know of a vacancy coming up in one in September…(you can ask Bob for my email) but again it would be far better for them I believe if you where either in the country or at the least had a Visa… there are more hoops for them to jump through and potential added costs for you when here.

Finally dont give up on the dream, if you want it enough it will happen…

• diana chelule February 2, 2017, 8:05 am | Link

iam Diana a kenyan registered nurse looking for job sponsorship in Australia please help, +254704880152.

• Fred January 28, 2017, 10:02 am | Link

Hey Bob am a graphic designer in Uganda may you pls find me a job there so that i come over +256789018615 that’s ma no incase of anything let me know so that i will send you some of my works

• mumtaj khan January 17, 2017, 9:08 pm | Link

hii ..my name is mumtaj . I completed my Graduations and study from Niit and now want to go Australia for professional practice . so how can I do this ??

• Gerard kelly January 12, 2017, 9:38 pm | Link

Hi im a external painter / roof painter with own machines are tgese jobs in demand in austrialia and if so how could i get a sponsorship with a company im from scotland
    Thanks gerard

• Antwi Samuel Manu December 30, 2016, 9:40 pm | Link

Hi.
    My is Samuel from Ghana but stay in Indonesia. please I want someone to sponsor me to work in his company?

• siva January 2, 2017, 2:12 pm | Link

i am Siva from india, I am a web designer having 8 years experience, i like to move Australia, Please i want some one sponsor for me to move India to Australia for Job

• Akbar Ali Abdul mustan January 17, 2017, 11:51 am | Link

Hilow my name akbar Ali from Pakistan I have work in dubai before.I’m willing for all work is need work plzz help me

• victor December 29, 2016, 12:29 am | Link

I need a sponsor job, I can work as a driver, housekeeping, cleaner, I.T ,Assistant Admin. I have enough experience.
    thanks.

• Faisal sarfaraz khan December 28, 2016, 7:32 am | Link

I want sponcer ship for work in Australia how to get it explain please

• Astha Malik December 27, 2016, 6:13 pm | Link

Hi Bob, thank you for supporting people with this page. We are looking to move to Australia by applying online for visa from India. Is it a better option to come with a job to Australia or we can come and search for it there?

• Dipak December 23, 2016, 9:39 pm | Link

Hi, Bob

I’m SAP PP Consultant & ABAPer from India. It would be grateful if someone love to sponsor. More details will be shared upon request.

Thanks…

• shadaad momin December 22, 2016, 10:57 pm | Link

Want a job

• BobinOz December 23, 2016, 9:27 pm | Link

Well, I’ve seen better job applications 🙂 Good luck though, Bob

• Mark December 28, 2016, 12:11 pm | Link

I’m reminded of Yosser Hughes was it “Gizza’ job” and “I can do that” I think he got one in the end…

• BobinOz December 29, 2016, 1:31 am | Link

Yes, that’s from ‘Boys from the Black Stuff’; an excellent series. I think he did get a job, but I don’t think he kept it 🙂

• bhim December 17, 2016, 12:16 am | Link

Dear Sir
    I hv 3 yr diploma in electrical engineering passed in 2008 ,and hv 6+ experience in relevant field too .
    my Ielts score is
    L–6.5,
    W–6.5
    R–5.5
    S–7
    Can I apply for Australia p.r visa
    Please suggest
    Regards

• Deneal Blignaut November 24, 2016, 6:19 am | Link

Hi there. I am looking for a sponsorship to help me move from South Africa to Australia.
    I am currently working for Tetra Pak SA as a Field service engineer. With all DE equipment and A3/Flex and A3/Speed fillers my wife has a bachelors degree in teaching. How can assist me in getting a sponsorship to come to Australia. Thank you very much.

• Nusrat November 4, 2016, 7:40 pm | Link

Hi , My name is Nusrat and I am from Tanzania, I am so into children I would like to work in child centers or help In kinder garden school, is there any opportunity for me to come and work there?

• shiv October 30, 2016, 4:35 pm | Link

hello bob.
    i am from India i am looking for a job sponsorship to work in Australia as chemist,though i find few of the job openings present in you links above but even after sending CV and regularly following them they only have an reply that they don’t sponsor outside Australia people so will you please suggest me what am i missing.

• BobinOz October 30, 2016, 7:59 pm | Link

You are not missing anything in particular, it’s just very hard to get a job here in Australia at the moment. Even harder if you are applying from outside of Australia and require a sponsorship as well.

Have a read of the following post and the comments, it’ll give you a good idea of just how hard it’s going to be for you…

• Shiv October 30, 2016, 9:11 pm | Link

I agree with you but can you also tell me please wha should i do to come over this problem and get sponsorship wherever as job is concerned i am trying my best to get it

• BobinOz October 31, 2016, 11:07 pm | Link

I can’t think of anything you can do really, there are many people in the same position as you and there is no simple answer.

• Vivek October 22, 2016, 6:41 pm | Link

Hi, I am working in top IT Consultancy services for past 2 years in Pega development project. Can you please let me know is there any opportunities in Australia? Thanks in Advance.

• BobinOz October 24, 2016, 5:09 pm | Link

Have you tried searching for opportunities using the four links to the major online employment portals I have listed above? Did you find any opportunities?

• Mark October 22, 2016, 4:25 pm | Link

Moving to Oz next month on a sponsored visa, and just wanted advise on basic issues….such as acquiring bank account, phone etc. my company have supplied accommodation for 2 months which will allow me time to pick things up, but any advise on everyday essentials would be appreciated. I requested your blog but only one part came down so I could not read the other 2 parts.

• Mihir Nayak October 22, 2016, 3:40 pm | Link

Hellow. I want to work in Australia. My elder brother is already working there in Brisbane.In short ime he will be PR. If anybody is ready to sponcer work visa , I want to come. Part time or full time. Pls Contact 9727003040,
    From
    India Guajarat
    MY self Mihir Nayak

• saxon xavier October 18, 2016, 7:59 pm | Link

Respective sir
    . my name is Saxon xavier living in India state Kerala expression of interest is Jun to august i travel Australia Melbourne with my help of my brother Mr Paulson xavier my tecanical qualification is bench fitter now iam doing a civil contract work for water supply department for a Kerala government its state India iam loking to start same business in Australian government department my brother help me how i do the prosejures pls help me ph +917736158055

• Brittany October 11, 2016, 11:53 am | Link

How do I post a job? Would love to sponsor someone in the roofing trade.

• BobinOz October 11, 2016, 11:29 pm | Link

Sorry Brittany, I just don’t offer that facility here. I do hope you find someone suitable for your vacancy though, Bob

• Gagandeep singh October 1, 2016, 3:01 am | Link

I am gagandeep singh form jammu j&k pleasehelp me . I am free and no job please help me .my no 9596195151.my am Australia