Migration Advice

I have called this page Migration Advice and that’s what you will find here. But it is also a resources page, with a mix of FAQs, along with some tips to help you plan your move. It is also a place where I can point you towards some useful articles on the blog that have got buried in the archives.

Ask Bob…

If you have a question about life in Australia or moving to Australia, I’m sure you will find the answer here. But if you don’t, just ask your question as a comment on the most relevant page.

Please do be aware though that I CANNOT answer any questions about getting a visa or visa applications, only MARA registered migration agents have the skills and knowledge to assist with such matters.

Questions about visas and applications.

Firstly, for those seriously looking to move to Australia and who want to know exactly how to proceed, I offer a professional assessment service conducted by a fully qualified MARA migration agent.

I highly recommend him, please check out my Visa Assessment Service.

The price of stuff in Australia:

Living in Australia:

Important: Please read before commenting…
legal_notice

And for those looking for professional assistance…
vas_notice

It's good to share...Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter2Share on Google+2Share on Reddit0Pin on Pinterest1Share on StumbleUpon0
  • Umair March 24, 2017, 10:47 am | Link

I have one friend who got 2 offense under his name, for unlawful assault. But was not found convicted on both occasion. He is adjourned to be of good behaviour until next year. However, he is applying for visa right now. Will this have an issue on the outcome of the application.

Umi

• BobinOz March 24, 2017, 6:50 pm | Link

The Australian Government does have guidelines on this that may help you. Google “Fact Sheet 79 – The Character Requirement” for more information. Hope it helps, Bob

• Divya March 23, 2017, 4:48 pm | Link

Hi BOB,
    I am Divya from India, we are planning to apply for 189 VISA under ANZSCO Code 261313(Software Engineer)
    I have totally 7 years(Feb 2010 to Mar 2017) of experience in IT as a software engineer , but i was on 9 months Maternity leave(18 Sep 2014 to 30 June 2015) out of which 4 months was paid leave(Sep 2014 to Jan 2015) and rest 5 months was unpaid leave.
    1. Do i have to mention this while applying for ACS or DIBP.?
    2. If yes , then how many months experience will they be deducting? as i will fall short of required 10 points for experience , if they do so.
    Can i start the process now, or should i wait?
    Please reply.

Thanks,
    Divya

• Mo March 20, 2017, 12:27 pm | Link

I’ve just arrived in Sydney from Los Angeles on February 3rd. After a few interviews, I’ve received and accepted a job offer as a restaurant manager. I turned in all my documents/letters of reference to the company’s Migration Agent, and my 457 visa application was successfully lodged on February 24th. The department has decided that there are no health exams required at this stage (I guess that’s good news?).

Now I guess all I can do is wait, but I’ve been driving myself nuts reading blogs and forums trying to predict what my outcome will be. I guess I just want to know if even though all appears to be in order, is there still a chance my visa might not be approved? If so, what would the reasoning be? And does being an American citizen make the process any faster? Thank you in advance

• BobinOz March 20, 2017, 9:05 pm | Link

Well, I can’t tell you whether your application will be successful or not, but what I can tell you is that there are no tricks or hidden agendas, and if your migration agent has put forward your application it’s because he clearly believes in it. A good agent rarely if ever puts forward an application that does not go through, unless it’s for really unforeseen reasons like a medical problem or a police record check.

You don’t need those though from what you say, so all I can tell you is that it’s looking good. You will still have to wait for the actual answer though, but good luck, I hope it all goes well.

• Mo March 20, 2017, 9:40 pm | Link

Thank you for the reply….the reassurance helps. Patience has never been one of my virtues, and this is the ultimate test.

• BobinOz March 21, 2017, 7:46 pm | Link

Yes, I know how you feel, I can remember the nervous waiting myself.

• Mo March 29, 2017, 1:33 pm | Link

Just received notice today that my visa was approved! On the faster end of the timeline….SO glad the wait is over. Thank you so much for the words of encouragement, and sharing your journey for the masses who hope to pursue their Australian dreams. 😃

• BobinOz March 30, 2017, 12:21 am | Link

Yay! Congratulations, that nervous waiting didn’t last for too long then, did it? 🙂 Glad to hear it all worked out for you. Exciting times, I hope your Australian dream turns out to be everything you hoped it would be.

• Anastasia Skoumidas March 18, 2017, 5:03 am | Link

Hello Bob

What a great website. I have been researching for some time now about moving to Australia from Toronto, Canada. My spouse and I are both Canadian citizens born and raised. I have once 14 year old child I will be moving with us. We are self funded and want to buy a house cash there. We both have good careers, I am a holistic Nutritionist and a fitness professional and my husband is a machinist in the printing industry. It is not so clear how it works for Canadians to live in Australia and what is the best avenue to take. I was very interested in buying a franchise there and investing in a business. What is the best way to fullfill this process?
    We are making a trip there this coming November to check things out. See where is best to live and to have our son in school and university in the near future. Thank you kindly for any direction you may direct us to.

Greetings from Canada

• Mohammed March 11, 2017, 8:25 am | Link

Hello my friend Bob I am Mohammed Batrawi of Palestine from the Gaza Strip and the dream to travel to Australia and I want to help you with that because I can not do so only by sending an invitation work and I have a lot of scientific testimony and I work a lot of businesses and jobs, as I have many experiences in different fields including business construction, blacksmithing, please help me realize my dream and I would be grateful to you
    please reply
    Mohammed

• tejas March 4, 2017, 9:14 pm | Link

I read many queries in your blog and really thought you may be the person who can help me.
    I applied for Visa subclass 190 on October 2015 after all the previous steps completed, and still my application shows “under assessment” i called at the number”they replied in process” i checked through my account also it shows the same. so please can you help?, can you please guide?.does generally they take this much time?

• BobinOz March 7, 2017, 7:08 pm | Link

I don’t think it usually takes this long, but if there is a delay in your case, only DIBP can tell you what that is. You would need to speak to them directly about your case. Good luck, Bob

• Katie March 3, 2017, 5:57 pm | Link

My name is Katie, I’m a 20 year old Dutch girl. I’ve been in Australia for almost 2 years and I fell in love with this amazing country. I finished high school when I was 16 and don’t have any other qualifications. I do have alot of farm experience and I would also love to be able to get further in that industry. Is there any chance I could get a sponsorship on a farm without any qualifications? Would I be able to do anything without qualifications? I don’t really understand how these visas work. Would love to hear from you.

• Marie February 20, 2017, 8:01 am | Link

Hello Bob,
    Thank you for the time and energy you have put in to this website – you have been a great resource for us and somewhere I turn to first with my questions.
    My husband has completed his skills assessment as an electrician through Future Skills via a centre in London. It has been suggested that he complete a Gap Training course online for the theory part of his licence so that when we get to Australia he will just have to do a practical weekend and then get a certificate three so he will have a reduced time scale to make up the required hours. Is it necessary to do this beforehand or cheaper to wait until he is over there?
    I know this is a trade specific question and wondered if you could point us in the right direction.
    Thanks so much.
    Marie

• Mark February 20, 2017, 6:03 pm | Link

I have no idea what the rules are on the gap training course All you need to do is goggle for google AU….and research costs Id imagine against what you have been quoted in the UK the main reason for me chipping in … I would ad which you have almost answered yourself …Yes if it can be done in the UK and with negligible price difference and you have the time spare, get it done There is enough to do with relocating once you get here The more you have done the better … just check whatever you do is price comparative and is the valid item in Au

• Lily February 10, 2017, 9:21 am | Link

I’ve been following your blog for a while, it’s answered some really useful questions and has been a real source of comfort in times of panic!
    I’m a 21 year old university graduate, and myself and a friend are heading to Melbourne at the end of April this year. We both have a working holiday visa and a one-way flight booked. I’ve been told by some people that in order to enter the country, I must have proof of $5,000 AUD (£2,500) in my bank account. Apparently this is a requirement, as it means I would be able to book a return flight if needed. Some people have said this isn’t the case, whilst others have said I’ll be sent home if I don’t have this. Do you have any knowledge on the subject? I plan on staying for a year, possibly two, but I’m terrified if I don’t have proof of $5,000 I’ll be refused entry. Please let me know, any information at all is welcomed!!

Thanks very much,
    Lily

• Mark February 10, 2017, 10:03 am | Link

Hi Lily and a pre welcome to Melbourne. The people who have told you $5000 are technically correct and wrong as well. Let me explain. First yes on a one way ticket Immigration could ask to see your $5000 evidence which us actually more like £3100 (whoever said £2500) was 2 years ago. Sorry you may need a bit more now. Having said that you may not get asked but taking the chance is another matter. It doesn’t have to be in the bank, a credit card with a 5k limit will suffice or combination youd need the statement/s and not showing £11.62 available credit obviously…Many say they are not asked but if you where the one. OUCH They can insist you leave at your own expense. Having said that 3K£ is not a lot . You dont say how short you are, I can only assume you are otherwise you would not ask. or if your friend has the funds loan a couple of hundred from him/her. If your coming out with £500 then Im not so sure that’s a great idea I would not come …save some more it could last no time at all. £1500 who knows if your frugal but it might prove tough …Its not just Australia that has this type of Policy USA UK Holland even, if your on a one way ticket and not readily accessible to live there Eg USA going to Holland would be an alien as opposed UK to Holland which has reciprocal cross border travel . Of course the alternative is a return flight paid for. 1k $ of that 5 K is for a flight home say… You can open an account here save carrying cash and conversion pains but open it before you arrive.

• BobinOz February 10, 2017, 7:32 pm | Link

Like Mark, I have also heard that available credit on your credit card counts, it doesn’t have to be cash or money in your bank account. I also agree that it probably isn’t wise to come here without that kind of backup, because there is no real guarantee that you will find regular or well-paid work.

I have a couple of pages you should read if you haven’t already, see Working Holiday Visas and Backpacking in Australia.

You still got a bit of time, I’d save as much as you can before you come here. Hope you and your friend have a great time when you get here.

• Tina February 8, 2017, 9:31 am | Link

Hello Bob…I’m an Australian citizen, since 1982. I met a man working here from England 6 years ago, we dated fell In love and want to be together/marry. Since he went back we’ve stayed intouch, and he has been desperately trying to get back here to live..we are trying everything. How does the system work when it comes to marrying a citizen and the partner being able to stay in Aus..What can and needs to ne done.Thankyou so much Tina

• BobinOz February 8, 2017, 11:31 pm | Link

Tina, and others like Judith below who have asked for help here, I really cannot give you the answers. Well, I can give you the simple answer, and that is you need to apply for the relevant visa given your situation and have that application be successful.

Because there are so many visas for each and every situation, it is quite complicated at times. The video on my page called Visas does try to show you how you can find out which visa is correct for you and how to drill down on it to see the terms and conditions that apply.

If it gets too bewildering though, and it does for many people (including me), then it’s best to engage the assistance of a MARA registered migration agent.

I can’t help, I’m just not qualified to do that, only MARA registered migration agents are.

Good luck to you all, Bob

• Judith January 14, 2017, 11:17 am | Link

I have been living and working in Perth under a temporary 457 visa since July 2014. I would like to apply for permanent residency. As I am over 50 years old I need to have minimum 4 year residency to apply. I will not get sponsorship from the company I work for. I have been offered a University place to study a MSc in a discipline which is on the sponsored skill list, this is something I intend to do regardless of location. If I study in Australia for 1 year under a student Visa can I apply for permanent residency afterwards.
    regards
    Judith

• Gemma taylor January 13, 2017, 8:32 am | Link

We paid a fee to your migration officer last year, but we didn’t follow anything up with him and never submitted any further information to him as timing just wasn’t right for us then. After looking into things in greater detail we are now in a position where we like our assessment done, as we now have more of an idea what our options are and what we would like to do.
    We wondered please, Is there any way please your agent could find our details and do his assessment on our circumstances now. as I say we paid the fee last year but never pursued anything it that makes sense. Could your agent resend his requirements to us after he is able to confirm he was in receipt of the payment. I could possibly find the transaction date if required?
    Many thanks for your help
    Gemma taylor

• BobinOz January 13, 2017, 4:52 pm | Link

Hi Gemma

Yes, no problem at all with this, there is no time limit on returning your questionnaire so my agent would be happy to look at your circumstances as soon as you have completed and returned the Client Information Questionnaire.

I have looked through my records, I think I can identify your transaction, but I need you to confirm whether it was purchased by your husband and if so what is his first name? If you want to give me more details about the transaction than that, it would be best if we take this off-line, you can email me direct.

The details are in my Contact page, there is a link to that in the footer of every page of this website. Once I have confirmed who you are, I will send you the necessary forms.

Thanks, Bob

• Jo January 5, 2017, 5:52 am | Link

Australia is going to end up just like the UK where you feel like a stranger in your own country! Way too many people here that do not want to be a part of society but rather create their own! 🙁

• BobinOz January 5, 2017, 9:09 pm | Link

What do you know about the UK’s situation Jo, is that where you’re from originally?

• Elizabeth Luke December 22, 2016, 6:40 am | Link

My husband and I are interested in moving our family to Australia; I am a registered nurse and I am in the process of completing my Doctorate of Nursing Practice. I am trying to pull together all the required documents to apply for my nursing license, but some of the timing elements are difficult. Are there any resources to help apply for my nursing license?

• BobinOz December 23, 2016, 8:54 pm | Link

My page about Nurses, doctors and dentists in Australia. does have some useful links on it, but I do agree, it’s quite a complicated process.

I certainly don’t understand it, even migration agents struggle with it, but hopefully some of links on that page will help you work it out. I think though, without a doubt, the people who can help you the most with this are those that work within the organisations for which you need to be registered.

• Tanya December 18, 2016, 8:57 pm | Link

Hello Bob,
    I have applied for temporary visa 489 to live in SA in 19th September. My husband and son are the co-applicants. Just before that I applied for a PhD scholarship in an university in QLD. In the first week of December, I got the scholarship which provides full tuition fees and living cost. Can I move to Brisbane to study if I get the temporary visa 489 as granted? If yes, what would be the process? If no, can I decline TR visa 489? In this case, can I apply for immigration again at the completion of my study? Or, can I go back to SA after completion of the study? I am so confused and at a loss to take any decision. I really want to study and at the same time i don’t want to miss the opportunity of immigration. Please, guide me to take a decision for which I will not feel sorry in the future.

• Jennifer heron December 10, 2016, 8:21 am | Link

Bob what is going on with the blatant discrimination against 457 holders. I’m here sponsored on a 457 in Townsville and my husband Ian a secondary on my application. He’s an electrical engineer and has no sponsorship requirements but every company he has contacted about recruitment advises him they don’t want 457 holders to apply and a new mine that has just been opened is under orders to not accept any 457 applications.
    Getting real fed up of this attitude.

• BobinOz December 12, 2016, 6:47 pm | Link

It’s a quite recent thing Jennifer, jobs are hard to come by here in Australia at the moment…

…so people are calling for preference to be given to Australians. Obviously if you come here on a 457 sponsorship as you have, then you have a job sponsorship already arranged.

What has happened recently, if the case you have mentioned is the same one I’m thinking of, it’s an Indian company that has been granted a license to open a new mine but it’s on the condition that they do not import the workforce on a 457, but source the workers from those already in Australia.

I wasn’t aware that partners of those here on a 457 were included in that, and I suspect it’s up to each company (apart from those like that new mine who have agreed not to employ 457 workers) to decide for themselves. I can see how frustrating it can be though. On the other hand, it is now getting to the stage here to try and employ Australians whenever possible as so many people are currently out of work.

• Ben Stevenson December 10, 2016, 5:07 am | Link

My Mum, Dad and 2 brothers are full Australian residences and have been there for 4 years. I work in IT doing desktop support and I have a basic SQL Server level and I’m currently doing a Comptia a+ course. Can I apply to move to Australia with this?

Ben

• BobinOz December 12, 2016, 6:37 pm | Link

Only a MARA registered migration agent could accurately answer that question for you, and if I were you that’s who I would make contact with. Good luck, Bob

• Reena November 29, 2016, 10:58 pm | Link

I am likely to travel to perth WA hopefully by the end of Dec on Dependent Visa 457.

So, I would like to know about the job ( part time/full time) jobs for mums. Also could you please suggest me any free online course which has the high potentiality for getting job.
    i did my graduation in India and currently working as Admin in an office with MS Excel skill set.

How about jobs opportunities in clinical field admins..?

I definitely need a job. please guide me.

• BobinOz November 30, 2016, 11:20 pm | Link

I’m afraid it’s just not that easy Reena, jobs in many parts of Australia are very hard to find these days, particularly Perth. You can research opportunities on my page about Getting a Job or a Sponsorship, but I know of no course that would be really good to help you get a job.

I think you will need to come here with an attitude of being prepared to take any job, no matter what your skills are, just to earn money and even something like that may be difficult to find.

Do hope it works out for you though, Bob

• Ashok November 7, 2016, 10:45 am | Link

I re-post this message as I’m still not sure how it works.

My name is Ashok. I have a situation here where I’m a Indian national and my wife is a Malaysian national and my baby was born in India. Both me and my wife were granted a Subclass 457 visa by the Department of Immigration & Citizenship on 13th May 2016 and our visa is valid until 13th May 2020. Both my wife and baby are in India currently.
    I have applied for a 457 dependent visa for my baby earlier this week and I was advised that the waiting period is 3 months. Unfortunately, my wife do not have a valid visa in India until then. Her visa expires early Jan.

1. Is there any way to expedite the process?
    2. Can I bring my baby in tourist visa first and wait for the wait period to be finished?
    3. Heard about bridging visa. Can I get that one once I’m here while waiting for the 457 visa to be approved?

Awaiting your response on this Bob.

Thanks as always.

Cheers,
    Ashok

• Mark November 7, 2016, 11:02 am | Link

Hi Ashok I am sure Bob is not ignoring you and your first post but he is legally not allowed to answer your questions. The questions are specific about migration and only a MARA registered agent can legally answer such things in Australia. see the bit above with the orange border titled ………… Important: Please read before commenting… You need to speak either to a agent Mara registered or hold fire and wait. Sorry no help really but so you do not think your being ignored …..Good luck it will sort itself out

• Ashok November 7, 2016, 4:55 pm | Link

Thanks Mark for the update.

I sent a email to 457(at)border.gov.au to expedite the visa with the above mentioned reason and they granted the visa immediately. Got the response today. That was very surprising but its a happy monday news 🙂

• Mark November 7, 2016, 5:18 pm | Link

There you go all sorted. so many post on here and they can like you sort it themselves without risking anyone getting in trouble (Bob particularly) giving you advice they cant legally do…Its usually easy to just sort the minor things. I personally found the visa issuers and processing quite amenable and sensible and they can also really move when they need to.

• Andrea adams October 30, 2016, 9:30 pm | Link

Hey Bob

It’s been more than 2 weeks that I’ve sent the info to the MARA.
    I’m an Agronomist from Brazil and my husband is a Lawyer (commonwealth).
    From all the commonwealth countries the most interesting, the less cold, the most adventurous is Australia. We are ready to take this risk for our children too, cause we live in the Caribbean and the education here is not that great. COULD YOU PLEASE check with Simon for our feedback? We’ve been counting the days just to get any information.
    By the way, thank you so much for all the great info.
    Drea

• BobinOz October 31, 2016, 12:40 pm | Link

Hi Andrea

I heard back from my MARA agent this morning, he had actually completed your assessment on Friday but didn’t have time to send it off. He has sent it to you first thing this morning, so you should already have received it.

Sorry it’s taken a little longer than usual, I know he usually likes to return these assessments within 5 to 7 working days, in the case of your assessment it has been 10 working days. Sorry about that, but all sorted now.

Many thanks, Bob

• La'Dell October 28, 2016, 3:15 am | Link

Hi Bob ,
    I’m so glad I’v found your web site . It’s just simply fantastic . I’v been spending so much time trying to read all .
    Have to say I’m brain is bamboos…. …So much to take in . So I thought if I asked you for advice you could just offer your knowledge .
    Im a single mum with four boys ages from 15 to 6 years I’v been to Australia twice Adelaide , Sidney fell in love with everything .
    I’m now planning to live with my boys somewhere in Australia in the spring 2017 . I would like advice on friendly easy to fit it suburbs , where my children would make friends easy .
    A safe place . I would like be closed to a beach as we live in poole at the moment have loved the sea .
    My passion is to exploring the barrier Reef . But I have to think of my work .
    I need to be in a area of good Pre schools and Nurseries .
    I just want a quite calm place to settle
    Safely with my children . Simply to start a fresh happy life . Would you have any advice .?
    I would also appreciate if you know of any friendly farms or apartments self catering we could rent for three months , until we find our feet . I’m thinking family run farms would be safe and friendly a place to start .
    Coming across your information as give me so much confidence I can do this I’m not all alone .
    I look forward to hearing from you .

Kind regards
    La’Dell .

• BobinOz October 28, 2016, 6:59 pm | Link

So glad to hear that you have enjoyed reading my website so far La’Dell, it’s great that you have found it so interesting. Moving to Australia is a big decision to make and I can see you have lots of questions.

Australia is also a very big place, there are hundreds of places that would suit what you’re looking for, so I think you need to have a good read of my city and state pages to see if you can pin down the kind of area you want to live in first.

Once you have done that, it would be a good idea for you to ask a similar question on the city or state page you have chosen so that people can help you further.

Australia is also not an easy country to get into, you will need a visa, have you looked into that yet? If you haven’t, check out my page about Visas.

Remember to also have a look at the comments already made on my various pages as they also contain lots of information about places to live. Hope that helps, good luck, Bob

• Naguib October 20, 2016, 2:32 am | Link

i’m a student studying ACCA in dhaka, bangladesh. my ACCA will be complete after 2020. if i come to australia after 2020, by taking admission in their local college, then after i complete my eduaction there, will the australian government give me extra time to hunt for a job? i do understand things really change after every 5-10 years. like i know in UK, those overseas students who took admission in university there, when they have complete their education, the british government did not give them any extra time to hunt for a job, so they were forced to return to their own country. do you have any idea why is that? i really hope that this thing don’t happen to australia after 2020. by the way, i heard australia will have plenty of accountant jobs there? well, my ACCA course is about chartered accountant. just let me know that, after i complete my education in australia, how shall i hunt for a job as internet source is not always reliable? and what technique shall i follow to apply for the PR?

Naguib

• BobinOz October 20, 2016, 7:00 pm | Link

If I were you I would speak with a MARA registered migration agent to clarify exactly what a student visa is and what it allows you to do. It sounds to me as though you have misunderstood the situation and I think it is in your best interest to have it cleared up by a professional.

• krish_03 October 18, 2016, 8:17 pm | Link

Summary:
    I have recently got my skills assessed with ACS on 30th SEPT’16 for the skill set System Administrator, ANZSCO 262113 and it has come positive.
    here is the experience they considered:

Job 1:
    04/09 – 05/11 (2yrs 1Month)
    Job 2 :
    05/11 – 02/16 (4yrs 9 months)
    so total:6yrs 10Months

even though i am still employed with my current employer and performing the same duties, ACS has considered only till Feb’16 as i submitted an affidavit that was dated Feb’16.

Also, i have given IELTS in June’16 with Proficient – 7

here are the questions that i have:
    1) With subclass 190, do i select “ANY” OR DO I SPECIFICALLY SELECT ONE state ? – currently none of the states occupation list has System Administrator job availability except for South Australia which is asking for 70 points. I have 65 points including the state sponsored 5 points.
    what are pros and cons of selecting “ANY” and selecting a specific state in EOI ?

2) When should i submit EOI ? is it now or shall I wait for the occupation list to come up again in some of the other states? currently with 65 point i am not eligible to apply for South Australia.

3) With respect to my points should i have to re do ACS assessment at a later point to get those additional 5 points (as i will be completing 8yrs) so that i get eligible to apply for South Australia ? or will my experience gets added automatically (after 6months) since i am still working for the same company and in the same role?

Looking forward to some guidance .. thanks in advance and sorry for the lengthy query..

Rgds

• Saumya October 16, 2016, 5:40 pm | Link

I would like to get ur personal gmail id or Facebook id to talk more.Hope you won’t ignore this message..Please..Thank you?

• BobinOz October 17, 2016, 6:30 pm | Link

Bewildering. Please read the important notices above.

• Saumya October 16, 2016, 5:38 pm | Link

Myself saumya from India.I am a software tester/analyst with 3 yr experience.I really want to move to Australia due to some personal reasons.I need to work there..Am I eligible to move to Australia?

• Saumya October 16, 2016, 5:36 pm | Link

Hello Bob,

• Saumya October 16, 2016, 5:32 pm | Link

Hello Bob,

• Anis October 5, 2016, 10:14 am | Link

I need help regarding my visa application. I have applied for 489 visa on 17th January 2016 also had a telephone enquiry on 26th May 2016. After that still I don’t have any news. I am motor mechanic 321211. Successfully completed VETASSESS. Applied for regional sponsored visa. Sponsorship granted from Orana NSW. What should I do? Help me

• Pratik Shah October 1, 2016, 8:28 pm | Link

I am Pratik from India. I am looking out for a sponsored job in Australia and am willing to pay a subscription to you for the same. I just thought of searchin a job suited my profile (Asp.net, C#) and came across a couple of them . When I clicked them, it said:

This job offer is not available in your country.

What does this mean? IS it that the company want to hire only locals?

• BobinOz October 2, 2016, 11:03 pm | Link

Hi Pratik

I’m a little confused, which website are you searching for jobs on?

• Jamie September 17, 2016, 6:06 pm | Link

Dear Bob
    Thanks for sharing valuation information on your web site.I have submitted EOI for NSW in the month of April 16 under 190 and it is still showing in Submitted status.
    I have claimed 60 points including SS for 261112 (Systems Analyst) of the
    ANZSCO Code. Is there any possibility to get SS or it is just wild-goose chase.Normally how many months, it takes for candidates claiming 60 points or it never comes for those claiming with 60 points.
    Your response is highly appreciated.
    Thank you very much!
    Regards
    Jamie

• Jorge Dela Cruz September 17, 2016, 5:40 pm | Link

I have a family in the Philippines and I am currently working here in Saudi Arabia as telecom engineer. Can I apply alone for PR in Australia? That is, I want to settle alone first (if I would get lucky) before getting my family.

• RANJIT September 15, 2016, 12:19 am | Link

hii,
    i applied for the visa 190 EOI on 30th june2016 to NT. Today i got email stating that your application for nomination under the Skilled Nominated or Skilled Regional Nominated visa programs has been unsuccessful. Can i apply to NT again for visa 489? can u please listed the rules for such conditions?

• Sean September 11, 2016, 6:29 am | Link

First, I wish to thank you on all of the valuable information for prospective immigrants to Australia.
    I live in Jacksonville, Florida USA and have been seriously contemplating a move to Australia within the next 3-5 years. However, I understand that Americans are not always well received abroad. How well would you say Americans are received in Australia?

• Avinash Rawal September 5, 2016, 3:20 am | Link

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am Avinash Rawal From India. I have visited many countries like The Us, Canada, The UK and many European Countries for business and still have valid visas for The USA, Canada and the UK and had visas for Australia and New Zealand but I have not visited yet. I can get a visitor visa for New Zealand and Australia but I want to be there permeant residence.

Can you guide me How can I do that If I come to New Zealand a tourist will you guide me or apply for me a start up visa or an Entrepreneur Visa I can Invest for that visa 100,000 ND.

Please Guide me and tell me all about that how to get PR easily for New Zealand or Australia and also tell me your fee or any other good country.

Thanks & Regards

Avinash Rawal

• BobinOz September 5, 2016, 4:23 pm | Link

As the above article says, if you need help with this process, you should talk to a MARA registered migration agent. If you want to use my agent, then you need to go through the visa assessment service which is also described above.

• Adeem September 23, 2016, 12:42 pm | Link

I’d like to ask about health issues (allergies) in Australia, actually We have planned to immigrate to Aus (Melbourne).
        thanx.
        Dr Adeem

• BobinOz October 2, 2016, 4:10 pm | Link

Interesting that you should ask this question right now, because just a few weeks ago it was announced that Australia, it may have actually even been Melbourne, is the food allergy capital in the world. Google it, you’ll see quite a few articles about it.

I think it’s because there just aren’t enough germs in the place, maybe we are using too much bleach cleaning up?

• Evaboo August 25, 2016, 9:22 pm | Link

I have a very frustrating problem….. I’m an educated, bright, intelligent individual who’s into my 5th year in Oz (I love it here) but can’t get a proper permanent job on my secondary or spousal 457 visa. Why? because I am continually hit t with the following statement in all my applications…

“WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW BEFORE YOU APPLY
    Legal Work Status
    You must be legally entitled to work in Australia to apply for a Queensland Government vacancy. Only Australian citizens, New Zealand citizens (who have a special category visa or the right to be granted one) and permanent residents can be appointed to permanent positions. If you have a work visa, you can only be employed in a temporary position.

This is so frustrating. I’ve managed to get this overturned by one larger employer – after I was refused an interview for a job I had been doing as a temp for six months but it seems like an unending battle in which I perpetually loose. I’m no wingeing pom and I won’t give in – but do you have any ideas how to mitigate this very, very frustrating problem. – Oh by the way – Im good enough for my expertise to be used by charities for free!

• BobinOz August 26, 2016, 4:28 pm | Link

If I’m not mistaken, the problem you are referring to only applies to government jobs, other potential employers are not tied by this restriction. Why don’t you apply for non-governmental jobs?

• Evaboo August 27, 2016, 3:52 pm | Link

Thanks for the reply but Im getting this problem with private businesses here in Central Queensland too. I won’t name and shame but they’re all fairly big concerns. Im also finding that the smaller businesses are very cautious about secondary 457 visa holders because they think they might end up having to sponsor someone further down the line. I don’t believe Im the only person having this problem and I really want to find a work around.

• BobinOz August 29, 2016, 4:57 pm | Link

Well, I doubt very much that private businesses are writing to you and stating that you need to be an Australian citizen to work for them, because that simply isn’t the case. They may say they prefer someone with permanent residency though, possibly for the reasons you’ve mentioned about sponsorship, but also perhaps because a 457 is a temporary visa and as such could mean that you return home after 2 to 4 years and therefore they would have to advertise the job all over again.

You may also be interested in reading the following article…

It explains how hard it is for many people right now to get a job in Australia irrespective of the kind of visa they are on.

• Sam August 20, 2016, 10:54 am | Link

I have applied EOI for NSW 190 in accountant general in 19 November 2015 with 60 points then updated to 65 points on 29 January 2016a and still waiting for invitation ?

• BobinOz August 21, 2016, 7:17 pm | Link

Invites are not guaranteed, if you have a look at the comments on my page about EOI you will see quite a few people are still waiting and waiting.

• sam August 28, 2016, 12:24 pm | Link

Hi Bob can we apply another EOI for another occupation as well for NSW 190 visa as already applied one under other occupation ???

• Charlotta August 18, 2016, 5:45 pm | Link

Me and my family lives in Sweden, Stockholm. We thinking of emigrate to Australia. We have friends in Brisbane, they live in Sweden right now.
    I’ve read about sponsors and it sounds interesting, also about the skills that the country maight needs.
    My australian friend is talking about personal sponsors. I have a vague memory of reading about somewhere but now I can’t find any informaiton. Does it exist? Do you have any inforamtion about or where I can find it.

Kind regards
    Charlotta

• Sam August 15, 2016, 2:25 pm | Link

I have applied EOI for 190 NSW WITH 60 points in Accountant General on 19 November 2015 then updated my EOI to 65 POINTS ON 29 January 2016 and m still waiting for Invitation .

• vikram beniwal August 11, 2016, 2:52 pm | Link

We are applying for state sponsored visa with South Australia. I am an IT professional and i see that IT jobs in Adelaide are 10% of what is there in Melbourne. So I am a bit concerned. But we do not want to miss any opportunity of moving to Australia. So my query is that once we are in Adelaide on a state sponsored Visa can we apply for 189 before the 2 years mandatory period of 2 years stay in South Australia.

Regards
    Vikram

• Steve August 10, 2016, 6:04 am | Link

Thanks for all the information on this site, it’s been very helpful so far.

I’m planning to move over soon on a 457 visa my current employer is sponsoring me. However, since the process usually takes up to 3 months and they want me over asap, they propose to get me on a working holiday visa (417) and request the 457 visa while I’m over in Australia. Do you see any pitfalls in this? I asked my employer about the likelihood of not getting my 457 granted and they told me it never happened to them before so we shouldn’t worry about that. I’m still a bit concerned although I can’t wait to finally move over.. Hope to hear from you! Thanks

• BobinOz August 10, 2016, 6:24 pm | Link

This is one of those questions I can’t answer, but I can tell you that it is usual for a company who is offering sponsorship to work with a MARA registered migration agent in order to arrange the visa for their prospective employee.

Hopefully the company you are dealing with do have a MARA agent helping them out, but if you are concerned, maybe you should ask them direct who their agent is? Nothing wrong in my view with asking if you can talk directly to their agent, after all, he will be dealing on your behalf.

If they do not have a MARA migration agent, then it may be in your interest to speak to one directly about this yourself.

• Newfast August 7, 2016, 9:56 am | Link

Hi, is there anyway I can find about Port Macquarie.

I am thinking to move there. But all the online forums I have found are very old.

Much appreciates if anyone can provide any information .

• BobinOz August 8, 2016, 5:06 pm | Link

I have passed through very quickly way back in 2009, here’s the post about it…

That’s all I know though. You might want to research it using the links on my page called Which Suburb? One of the websites does offer user reviews.

You could always ask on my page about New South Wales, the link is underneath the main navigation menu for Australia’s States. There would be no guarantees you’ll get an answer, but it’s worth a go. Good luck, Bob

• PeterC September 21, 2016, 11:11 am | Link

Hi Newfast,
      I have lived in Port Macquarie all of my life, if I can help you with information email me directly.
      I know your post is over a month old and may not be applicable now.
      Cheers
      Peter

• Bader Javaid August 1, 2016, 7:16 pm | Link

Sub: AU Passport Process for Newly Born baby in AU to PR holding parents

Hello Bob,

We (Couple & 2 Kids) hold Australian PR and now expecting our 3rd child in few weeks time in AU.

I would like to inquire about the process to be followed in order to apply for New born’s Australian Passport.

I did explored online and tried to find some relevant information on your website but did not find anything.

Can you please advice what needs to be done and what are the steps to be followed.
    I believe first step will be done by hospital when they give us the birth certificate, after getting the birth certificate where i have to go to apply for passport. Actually I am in hurry to get passport as we have traveling plans in mid sepetember.

I was looking at the immigration website find 2 options releavant but not sure about the selection, confused between 2 options

1. Applying for Australian Citizenship
    2. Australian Citizenship by descent.

a. What parents documents will be required to process?
    b. Processing Time & is there any possibility of requesting for urgent process by paying urgent fees.

Appreciate your quick response Bob.

BR,

Bader

• Ashraf July 31, 2016, 8:09 am | Link

I made single (vs family) skilled worker visa application and I landed alone in September 2015 for a few days and left back to my country.

I would like now to bring my wife and kids. Please note that in process of my visa application, they completed their own medical tests.

Any idea how they can join me in Australia?

Tha

• Ruchi July 27, 2016, 2:14 am | Link

Hello,
    I am from India.
    Myself,my husband and my baby (1 1/2) yr old have PR of Australia Nd now my husband is moved to sydney in last month only and now he is working there in an IT firm and shortly we’ll also come to sydney but seriously I am so tensed about many things please help me out.
    1. About school for my kid
    a. What age is perfect for my baby to go to school or play school.
    b.are there any state play school
    2. By profession I am a dentist in India.so what are the options for me to do work like any home based courses for that eg dental hygienist or assistants so that I can help my husband to take care of my child
    3. Any home based jobs so that I can earn from home and take care of my child

• BobinOz July 27, 2016, 4:43 pm | Link

I think you need to have a good look around this website Ruchi, I’ve written about every subject you mention. I’ve got pages about schools, jobs, well, over 1300 pages in all at the moment about all kinds of things.

Please use the main navigation menus at the top of each page or the Google search box on the right-hand side to find what you need.

• Brayn July 25, 2016, 1:59 pm | Link

Hi bob.

Nice website but i do have a question regarding my visa..

Im from belgium and
    I work as a bricklayer in sydney on a working holiday visa
    My boss would like to sponsor me but i have trouble with understanding him with his bad italian-english.. haha
    So im wondering if you know what steps i have to make to get the sponsorship complete?

Best regards,Brayn

• BobinOz July 26, 2016, 12:41 am | Link

Well, I don’t know what steps need to be taken, but I think it is your boss that needs to take them rather than you. It is he who needs to organise this, and by the sound of it he will probably need to get a MARA registered migration agent to help him with this.

It’s not a simple process as I understand it, there are a few hoops his company will need to jump through to make it happen. So if your boss has had no experience of this before, he will definitely need a MARA migration agent.

If he needs help to find one, you can point him to my page about Migration Agents.

• Nizar July 24, 2016, 3:52 am | Link

I got my PR for sub class 189 in March 2016. I am a bit confused on how i should arrive to Australia as everyone just tells me to simply buy a ticket and land there with my passport. Please advice me if that is sufficient enough or if I should carry any supporting documents with me?

Kind Regards,
    Nizar

• BobinOz July 24, 2016, 8:53 pm | Link

Yes, I can understand your concern with this, we were a bit the same when we turned up eight years ago with PR. For us, we had our passports embossed with our Australian visa, and that was all we needed.

I think all of your visa details are linked to your passport number and that’s pretty much all they need. For our own peace of mind, we did bring more documentation, certainly our visa acceptance letter and maybe some other proofs.

I don’t think you ‘need’ anything more, but there’s nothing to stop you bringing some additional stuff and putting in your bag if it makes you feel more comfortable about it.

I hope your move goes well, good luck, Bob

• Goddy Goddy July 23, 2016, 2:22 pm | Link

Good day everyone
    I am looking to employ bob’s services in securing a tourist visa to Australia next month but I cant find where to contact him
    Please any one help

• BobinOz July 24, 2016, 8:44 pm | Link

There is a link to my ‘Contact’ page in the footer of every page on this website. Cheers, Bob

• Neha July 19, 2016, 5:31 pm | Link

This is Neha..We are planning to move from Mumbai to Sydney as we have got PR and planning to move by end of this year.

Have few queries in mind.I would be great if you can help me with the same:-

1) My husband is in private Banking. How should he go about applying for job in Sydney. He has already updated his profile in Linked In. Please help us in any other way to approach this.

2) And also what areas in Sydney has this job profile.

3)My son is 7.5 yrs and studying in 2nd std in ICSE board. Please let me know the details on when the school starts there and is public school better or private school.

4)Also let me know areas where there are more Indian population so that we can connect with them.

5)I am currently working in programming in media company for English channel AXN. Will there be any part-time job opportunities for me in this field.
    6)Also let us know for how much time the Pets(Dog) needs to be kept in quarantine if we want to move from India to Australia?
    Thanks a ton!

• RASEL A S M July 18, 2016, 12:02 pm | Link

Hi there,

hope you doing alright.

I am planning to apply for regional Australia visa. I have got my Eoi approval as well to apply for 489 visa.

I am searching for a regional place to move. Can you please suggest me a good regional area.
    I have searched some places from all them i have made a shortlist
    1) Gee long (VIC)
    2) Ballarat (VIC)
    3) Mandura (WA)
    4) Oakford (WA)

Please suggest me which place would be good for me to find a job and also to live.
    Or please suggest me is there any other places apart from this would be good for me to move.

Currently, I living in sydney.

Kind Regards,

Rasel A S M

• BobinOz July 18, 2016, 4:06 pm | Link

You really should be reading my pages about where to live in Australia, particularly my pages about Victoria and Western Australia under the main navigation menu for Australian States.

Also, see my page Getting a Job or a Sponsorship for information about finding a job.