Choosing a MARA Registered Migration Agent

Migration agents.

You do not have to use a migration agent to get a visa for Australia, you can do it yourself. But we did use one. Why?
MARA Agent Doing Paperwork
Although my wife’s skill was on the Skilled Occupations List, she did not have a recognised qualification for it so her skill had to be independently assessed before we could take our application further. I was over the maximum age limit, so with those two factors combined, we felt our application wasn’t straightforward.

Engaging a migration agent to help us gave us the comfort of knowing that our application, when it was finally sent off, was sound and did have a good chance of success. This is because any MARA registered migration agent has a duty to ensure that all applications they send to the Australian Government have a realistic chance of approval.

In fact, I believe that if any MARA registered agent continually submits poor applications, they will find themselves in danger of having their licence taken away from them.

Can you recommend a MARA registered migration agent?

Yes I can. I have now been working closely with MARA registered agents on this website since the beginning of 2012 providing personal and professional visa assessments. To find out more about this service, please visit the following page for full details…

What is MARA?

“The Office of the Migration Agents Registration Authority is an office attached to the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP). We are based in Sydney and operate nationwide.” That’s a quote taken directly from the About Us page from the official site, which you can visit here…

All migration agents in Australia must be registered with the Office of the Migration Agents Registration Authority (MARA).

So, if somebody is not MARA registered, they cannot charge you a fee to help you submit your application, they would be breaking the law here in Australia if they did. But whether you are looking to use an Australian-based agent or an agent from anywhere around the world, it is essential you choose to work with only MARA registered migration agents.

More information can be found by visiting the governments MARA website mentioned above, but if you are looking for professional assistance, I do highly recommend my agent who is MARA registered and Australian-based. There is no need for face to face meetings these days either, everything is done over the Internet and by telephone.

How much will an agent cost?

MARA has a page on their website with a guide to fees…..

How much did my agent cost?

We were charged £1,213.25 including VAT by our MARA registered migration agent, but in addition to this we had to pay £675 including VAT for my wife’s skills assessment. We came over on one of the General Skilled Migration visas. The exchange rate at the time (2007) was around 2.4 to 2.5 AUD to the pound, so we paid something like $3000 to our agent and around $1500 for the skills assessment.

This was excluding government fees.

Looking at the governments price guide, what we paid back in 2007 is pretty much the average of what is currently being charged now by migration agents.

Government fees

In addition to the fees and charges made by your MARA registered migration agent, should you choose to use one, there will be a fee payable to the Australian Government for your visa.

These fees vary but the government has a page on their website with the details.

Unlike the migration agent fees, the government fees have gone up massively since 2007. Back then we paid a total of $1990 for my wife, myself, and our young daughter. Right now (March 2014) we would be charged $3520 for my wife, $1760 for myself and $880 for my daughter, totalling $6160.

Please bear in mind that these government fees are non-refundable, if your application is declined, you lose all that money. A professionally prepared application lodged through a MARA agent will minimise that risk.

MARA Agents: Payments in advance

Some migration agents ask for quite large and substantial upfront fees before they even look at your details or your situation. This should not be the case and there is no justification for any agent requesting such fees and you should treat any such requests with caution.

Other services offer a “free” assessment, but this is usually just an automated process that takes some basic details and calculates your points. If you score the requested number of points, you are then asked for a sometimes quite substantial sum in advance before they will help you further, again I suggest caution.

Never pay large sums in advance to migration agents, a reasonable deposit, 20% to 40%, should only be paid after the agent has looked at ALL of your details and has informed you, in writing, which visa or visas you might qualify for and the exact costs of applying for those visas, including the agents fees.

With our Visa Assessment Service, you will pay a small fee, but my agent will spend something like a couple of hours looking through all of your information, deciding which options are best for you, putting it all in writing and fully explaining all the costs.

If my agent feels you would not qualify for any visas, he would advise you of what YOU can do to improve your chances of success and, if possible, suggest ways you can achieve a higher points total. My agent would not take on your case if he felt you would not be successful with your application.

Should you decide to use my agent to represent you, your assessment fee is added to your account as a credit towards your costs.

If, for any reason, you are unhappy with the service, I will personally refund your money, I guarantee it.

Here’s one BIG final tip

Google is your friend. No, really! If you are considering using a specific MARA registered agent or company and you want to check them out, simply search for the name of that company followed by the word “reviews”.

You will be amazed by what might come up.

I have been contacted by several disgruntled readers who have paid good money, sometimes a lot of money, to supposedly reputable agents and they’ve received nothing but disappointment.

For each one, if these people had simply Googled the reviews about those companies they would have surely seen the opinions of many disgruntled clients and stayed away.

I suggest you Google first, pay later.

Important: Please read before commenting…

And for those looking for professional assistance…

{ 254 comments… read them below or add one }

Chris June 4, 2011 at 2:57 am

Hi Bob,
My family and I decided we would use a migration agent when we first started the process. We did a little research and decided on a reputable company which regularly advertises in a certain magazine. Initially they were quite helpful and we had a direct debit set up with them and our 175 visa application was lodged, however when the CSL and SOL list were all changed my case became a little more complicated and was told it could be a 3 year wait for my 175 visa to be granted and to be patient. End of.
At no point after this did he give us any advise on other options i.e state sponsorship, RSMS, employer sponsorship etc.
So not being happy to wait 3 years i took it upon myself to do a lot of research into other options and took a trip out to Queensland and managed to secure myself a job from a company who were willing to sponsor me on an ENS.
On my return back to the UK i contacted my agent several times for advise on how we go about an employer sponsored visa as neither the company or I had any experience in the matter, but every time i spoke to my agent i was just met with negative advise time after time. I asked them to work out a fee to help me get the sponsored application lodged, which they did and it was a lot, when i asked could i set up a direct debit i was told “no, it has to be paid in one go”.
As we did not have the funds to pay it in one go my wife and I decided to do it ourselves. I contacted them and asked for some documents of ours to be sent back to us to use on the sponsored application to which i was told they no longer had them and they had been sent back to me 12 months previously (strange really as i had only sent them off to them 7 months previous!). Prior to this my wife had spoken to the agents assistant and was told yes we have them. This obvious lack of organisation and communication with his assistant aggitated my agent and i promptly received an email informing me that “they no longer wished to represent us”.
Fortunately we have managed to get our ENS application lodged and are now just awaiting the outcome.

My advise to anybody looking to take on the services of a migration agent would be to phone around as many as you can, ask about there method of being paid, fire questions at them about different types of visas and really test them to see if they know there stuff (just because they are registered and have glossy adverts it doesn’t mean they are any good and paying top end prices does not mean you will get good advise). just being HELPFUL and FRIENDLY is a good start!

One agent i WILL reccomend is a lady called Susan from “get going migration agents” who gave me some excellent advise and all for free! very helpful and friendly.

Ok rant over :)
Thanks Bob


BobinOz June 6, 2011 at 2:56 pm

Nice rant though Chris and sound advice for anyone looking for a migration agent. As with any trade, there is good ones and bad ones. You clearly got a bad one.

As I have mentioned above, I think the good ones do not need to take large fees upfront and anyone who asks for such, remember you do have a choice. As you say Chris, pick up the phone and phone around. There are plenty of MARA migration agents around.

Thanks for the advice and tips and I hope your visa comes through OK and we see you here in Australia soon.




rochdi July 28, 2012 at 11:06 pm

thank you chris for your littre . please send the Susan e-mail or eny migration agent e-mail who know , because i insiste to go and to live in australia , and i don’t care about the money or how much to pay , i have my money , and i can to pay from 1 to 100.000 usd$. thank you


hemant June 22, 2011 at 2:32 am

I want a MARA agent in Gujarat (INDIA)


BobinOz June 23, 2011 at 12:53 am

I want to be happy for the rest of my life
I want to die but not by the knife
I want to sleep all afternoon
I want to rise at night with the moon

Department S


Chris June 23, 2011 at 8:33 am



BobinOz June 24, 2011 at 8:53 pm

No, definitely Department S. Click on the link for a bit of 80s nostalgia. Unless, of course, you’re saying Hemingway is a migration agent in Gujarat (INDIA)?


Mandeep singh punia June 6, 2015 at 3:18 pm

Hi bobin mandeep singh punia from haryana india ..i do not find any link or our contact ..i wNt to go australia for my further study or any job ..but nobody suggest me that how i go there or apply visa ..i want to contact u plz give me ur contact ..+91 9872201165 its mi contact ..plz reply me thanks


BobinOz June 8, 2015 at 7:57 pm

There is no point in contacting me, I cannot help you get a visa to go to Australia, you need to speak to a MARA registered migration agent if you need professional assistance with this.

Or you can go through my Visa Assessment Service which is a service offered by my resident MARA migration agent or you might like to check out my page about Student Visas.

Good luck, Bob


Arvinder Singh January 14, 2012 at 1:56 am

Hi Hemant,

Did you get a MARA certified agent for yourself? I am in Bangalore and want a MARA certified agent.
Any help???



BobinOz January 17, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Yes, I used a MARA agent. I am in the process of setting up the exact help you need on this website. Leave it with me and I’ll get back to you when it’s done.


BobinOz February 14, 2012 at 9:45 pm

It’s done – Visa Assessment Service.

Hope it helps.


Graeme August 3, 2011 at 11:34 pm

Hi Bob,

My wife and I are considering migrating to OZ, we both have family over there, and hopefully we have decent skill to enable us entery, however here is the sticky wicket my wife has a bad back, are the Aussie doctors that strict, I only ask because I can not seem to find any criteria for the medical,


BobinOz August 4, 2011 at 6:12 pm

I did do some research into this, and my bet is your wife will be okay. The sorts of medical problems that would put Australia off are anything that can become a major problem to Australia, like tuberculosis, and any condition that they think may cost a lot of money over a long period of time.

The indication that I found, and I have no source to back it up, was $20,000 within five years as per current rules at today’s date. I think that was just some kind of rule of thumb, so don’t quote it.

Google “Australian health requirement” and you will find the government’s fact sheet on this matter, you will then know as much as I do.

Good luck with your application.


christopher myers October 10, 2011 at 8:11 pm

Good Morning

I am just looking for any employer who is willing to employ my brother on permanent skilled migration options such as the regional sponsored migration scheme (RSMS) and employer nomination scheme (ENS.

He is 46 yrs of age and done his apprenticship in the railways in India as a Fitter/Sheetmetal Tradesman and is currently working in that trade for the last 10 to 15 yrs.

Please advise if there are any options for that trade.? If any info is required regarding CV and other Certificates I got copies of them and the same can be forwarded for Assessment.

You can also please E-Mail me at my work E-Mail address :


Chris (0405320693)


Adrian November 9, 2011 at 2:51 am

Hi Bob!
I am from Romania
Me and my wife decided, some weeks ago, to try immigration in Australia, but we don’t know sure how starts this. After some websites visits I find a list of registered migration agents. In that list I find an agent (women) who is from my country and now live in Australia and work like migration agent, but somehow I forget about the that site (misteriously disappear from bookmark list) .
My asking is: you can help us to find in Australia an migration agent (romanian at origine)? Or at least help us to find a list with these agents and I pick out the agent who I need.
I think is most usefull to contact first an agent who speak my motherlanguage.
Thanks and I wait for your answer


Chris November 9, 2011 at 5:54 am

Hi Adrian,
try this company they are a multilingual company and one of the agents ‘Madalina Phillips’ is Romanian so I am sure they will be able to help you.

kind regards


Chris November 9, 2011 at 5:56 am

sorry Adrian, it was tss, have you found it?


Adrian November 9, 2011 at 4:18 pm

Thanks a lot Chris. Madalina is indeed that agent. I remember now. Hope your link is the fist step for a new life.

Best regards


BobinOz November 10, 2011 at 1:00 am

Looks like I got here too late :-) Good on ya Chris! And good luck Adrian.


V January 31, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Hi Bob

Not sure if you can help me but I found your website through looking for info about migration agents and I’m still undecided about one because I’m completing a Prospective Marriage Visa and it doesn’t feel hard but all the evidence/documents that is required aren’t very clear in what is needed.

My question is about getting certified copies of current and previous passports. Do you know if I need the entire passport i.e. pages with the stamps, certified as well as the personal information page or just the personal information page? Why I’m lost with this is that there is a section which ask for past 10 year history on countries travelled to so I’m wondering whether they need evidence for this hence needing previous passports.

Thanks for you help in advance


BobinOz February 1, 2012 at 1:20 am

I don’t know the answer, but I’d be inclined to photocopy every page of your current and previous passports, there can’t be that many pages. Better to send too much information than not enough.


V February 1, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Thanks for that Bob


MARA Miki February 4, 2012 at 2:26 pm


You need a certified copy of your passport bio-page only.

With regards to what countries you travelled/lived in: It is “significant amount of time spent in a country”, i’s day if you lived/stayed in one place for longer than 3 months.

Best Regards

Principal, Registered Migration Agent


V February 5, 2012 at 9:10 pm

Thanks, that makes it easier.

Sorry another question I was hoping someone could help me with the personal statement requirements. The instructions say that you can either use ordinary writing paper or the statutory declaration form provided. Since using the statutory declaration form provided requires a witness from a specific background for the signing does that mean that if I was to use ordinary writing paper I would still require a witness also?




Cecilia February 11, 2012 at 9:22 am

Hi everyone :)
Thank you for posting such useful information, and of course thank you BOB for this wonderful idea, of sharing with others your experiences.
I am from Romania ( as Adrian) and with 10 years ago I tried to migrate to Australia.
Now ,I will try again hopping to be Ok this time.

all the best for you all


BobinOz February 13, 2012 at 1:41 pm

Thanks Cecilia, and I hope your new application goes well.


Paul Medcalf February 24, 2012 at 10:01 pm


This is a really great helpful site, thankyou! Me, wife and 2 kiddywinkles are in the UK and have lots of family in Melbourne. I serve in the royal Navy as an IT specialist and my wife is in Marketing. I dont believe that our jobs are on the SOL, but we could apply for state sponsorship. Would you bother with a MARA agent or would you advise us to try and apply directly?

Also do we need jobs out in oz before we emmigrate or can you just get out there and apply once your out there?



BobinOz February 25, 2012 at 1:14 am

Personally, I would use a MARA agent if I wasn’t sure which was the best route in. Under these circumstances, a MARA agent can guide you to go in the right direction. I would have given a different answer if, for example, you were a doctor with a recognised qualification specialising in an area that was in high demand.

I have someone who can help, check out my Visa Assessment Service.

It’s always nice to secure a job before you come out here, but the reality is it’s probably easier to get one once you are here with your permanent residency visa in your hand.

Have a look at Getting a Job or a Sponsorship.




Viraj April 23, 2012 at 7:52 pm

This is Viraj from India. I would like to apply for GSM. Request you to suggest me a good and reliable MARA agent in Melbourne as ny brother is statying there and would help me in co ordinating the same.


BobinOz April 24, 2012 at 12:28 am

Hi Viraj

Sorry, I don’t know any MARA agents in Melbourne, my guy is based here in Brisbane. He does everything online and by telephone, if you’re interested in his services. Otherwise maybe your brother can track down someone in Melbourne?


Viraj April 25, 2012 at 7:52 pm

thanks for the suggestion. Can you provide me the contact details of that Brisbane’s agent. will expore a bit.
thanks again… Viraj


BobinOz April 26, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Sure, I’ve sent you an e-mail.


Indu July 12, 2012 at 8:26 pm

Can you please send me your MARA agent details to me as well. Thanks


BobinOz July 12, 2012 at 10:10 pm

Hi Indu

The details are all on this page…

Visa Assessment Service

everything you need to know is on that page, but if you have any questions, please let me know.



ramon April 28, 2012 at 1:09 pm

hi bob,
Im really grateful i can ask someone about my case,please give me some advise.
my present address is muswellbrook new south wales,36 years old,Filipino citizen and holding a 457 visa. My employer is very much willing to help us,for i want to bring my partner and our 5 month old child here in australia. According to my employer they should have been included in my visa application before as a secondary applicant but we are unaware of that during my visa application.
my partner and child are based in the philippines. I really miss them a lot and we dont wanna waste time not being together when we even have the opportunity to not suffer.
please help us
we really dont know how to start, i am really grateful to my employer and he gave us the guarantee of helping us in every way to bring my family here., i just dont wanna abused his kindness of even asking him how or what steps must i undertake now.
Please help us.


BobinOz April 30, 2012 at 9:30 pm

Sounds a bit of a mess, ramon, one that I do not have the skills to sort out for you. You do need to talk to a MARA migration agent, I do have one here on this site.

Check out my Visa Assessment Service. If you decide to get assessed, it will cost you a small fee (credited to your account if you use our agent to represent you) and simply by filling in a six page form my agent will be able to tell you if and how you can get your family over here to Australia.

I hope everything works out well.


Lucy Crawford May 1, 2012 at 6:12 am

Hi Bob,
My husband and I are at the stage where we have paid for and been assessed by an Emigration Company. They seem very good and thorough and have said that we have enough points (65) for a state sponsored skilled worker visa if my husband passes a skills test that will cost £2000 and an english speaking test!!… The company has estimated nearly £5000 fees to help us and another £4-5000 for the actual costs of visas, tests etc… We can obviously appreciate the actual visa costs etc but are really struggling with such a large fee but understand that it will make things a lot more easier to get through. However….is there a way of doing it yourself? Do you know of a concise website that could tell us exactly what we need to do and how to do it? Long shot but worth a shot! I’m a 37 year old special needs teacher, my husband is 40 and an electrical engineer. We have 2 young children and another on the way. We have a house to sell and would like to move to Perth (or the surfers coast QLD thanks to your writings!!!).Loving the website etc!
Thanks for any advice you may be able to offer, Lucy :-)


BobinOz May 2, 2012 at 10:57 pm

Wow! That really does sound a lot. You can do it yourself, but obviously you will still have to pay the fees that go to the Australian Government and the fees required by the assessment organisation. I am not aware of a website that is set up to help you. Sorry about that, I know the paperwork isn’t easy.

If you want to, you can send me, via email (see my contact me page) a full breakdown of your quote and I could ask my MARA registered agent what he would charge, maybe he would be a lot cheaper than the people you are using.


sandeep pal May 12, 2012 at 3:53 am

Hi Bob,

I’ve applied for the skilled migration visa subclass 176 for Australia, I’m primary applicant and my wife is secondary, All my documents are submitted and met the criteria. Problem came when they asked for the medicals, I did’t have any problemand status on website says Health requirement finalyzed, But my wife came positive withT.B, and MOC doc have asked to undergo 6 Months T.B treatment. so it will take another 8 to 10 months to grant visa if treatment is succefull.
My question is: is it possible that while my wife is undergoing treatment they can process my VISA , and after her treatment is over she can come and join me Australia.


BobinOz May 14, 2012 at 8:07 pm

Sorry to hear about that setback sandeep, I hope your wife recovers quickly. Not sure about your question though, I think your best bet is to ask the question to your case officer, I’m not sure.

Good luck!


Md. Nasir Uddin May 17, 2012 at 9:04 pm

I have enganged MARA agent for migration to Austalia purpose. They promised to send my CDR to Engineer’s Australia for assessment on 16 March 2012. But now I heard from them that they sent the doc on 29 March 2012. I became surprised about their committment. Now I want to get out from Mara agents trap. Is it possible ? How will I go forward.



BobinOz May 19, 2012 at 8:39 pm

I assume you have already paid them some money? As annoying as it is when someone does something later than they said they would, it may be quicker in the long-run sticking with them than starting all over with another agent elsewhere.

At least they have sent your document.


Md. Nasir Uddin June 2, 2012 at 2:17 pm

I gave document for assessment from Engineer’s Australia, but they sent the doc to Engineer’s Australia after one month which frustrated me. For them, possibly, I can not apply in DIAC by this month. I want to get out from them.

Please give me advice how will i can out from their trap.


BobinOz June 3, 2012 at 10:10 pm

I’m afraid you have completely lost me with that one.


XY June 7, 2012 at 11:00 am

Why immigration to Australia if you have good job and education in your country?We also took migration visa from Dubai . We resigned from our precious job and came australia with all the belongings. We stayed in a hotel for 3 month and search for an accomodation. People won’t give rented house as we r not working here. After 3 months of searching ,the real estate agent told that we should show our bank details so that the owner should know we r financially fit to rented a house.
Finally we got a house and searching for jobs as we both hus and wife are Engineers. The Australian Companies wanted Australian experienced persons or Australian territory qualified people. People in Australia told us that we should work in some hotels or factories till we enter in our own field.
The Government of Australia has given skilled migrant visa as per our qualification and experience it is the duty of them to help us. The Government is giving free education and Central link money to all refugees coming to Australia from in boat.
For people like us, who developed our career in other countries fall into the hands of immigration agents and now re pending to be here!


BobinOz June 7, 2012 at 10:24 pm

Well, no, it is not the duty of the government to help you find a job. That’s down to you. I have been asked hundreds of time by people what I think their chances are of getting a job. I always say “I have no idea”

To get a job, you have to impress the interviewer, AND have the skills. Part of that is being able to speak English fluently. With respect, from your email it doesn’t appear that you can do that. I’m not criticising, I understand that English is your second language and you can certainly speak it way better than I can speak any other language, so hats off to you for that. I’m just saying, that’s what you’re competing against.

I’m sorry that Australia hasn’t worked out for you both.


martin June 23, 2012 at 11:21 pm

Hi, We have just wasted 10mth of our time and alot of money through a visa agent who guaranteed that we would be able to get a 176 visa to Auss.After a lot of leg work from us and alot of broken promises by them I have got nothing. I need some advise about what is my next best move.
I went over only last year, I was in Melbourne after been offerd a job on a 457 visa in the catering trade, but for family reason I did not take the job. On return I got in contact with (name removed) who sold me the big one and netted me.

Any advise would be good.



BobinOz June 25, 2012 at 10:41 pm

Well, I highly recommend my bloke, check out my Visa Assessment Service. I know how you feel, we wasted three months with the first agent we chose.

Sorry I have had to remove the specific name of the company who let you down, my lawyer has advised me against allowing people to name and shame these dodgy agents publicly on my site.


chris July 12, 2012 at 10:35 pm

Avoid (name removed)! Took thousands off us and never delivered what we paid them for! I am here in oz now but no thanks to them. Thank god for the internet!


BobinOz July 13, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Yes, there are some dodgy companies out there, buyer beware. I highly recommend anyone who gets bad service to complain to the governing body for MARA agents here.

Again Chris, sorry but I have had to remove the specific name of that company, I don’t want this comment thread to turn into a list of dodgy agents as it will almost certainly end up with me being sued! Afraid I just can’t afford that.

I think everyone should be aware though that there are some untrustworthy agents about, always try to find agents that come recommended. And yes, search the Internet for the company by name and maybe add the word “complaint” or “problem” to see if anything turns up.


elisi mc veigh July 18, 2012 at 7:59 pm

hello agen, in vehicle refinishing i no how to do everything from start to finnish but i do not have a qualification in this, i have pictures of my work, which i have done on my own. would i deffinatly need qualifications to get a job or could i prove what i am capable of and get my qualifications over in australia? thanks elisi


BobinOz July 18, 2012 at 8:48 pm

Pictures probably won’t cut it I’m afraid, it’s qualifications that count.


melissa July 19, 2012 at 2:04 am

G’day Bob! G’day all!

Right in a bit of a pickle about the MARA thing so all thoughts on the subject would be appreciated :) so here goes……..
We are already with an agent (MARA registered) the changes to the SOL list on 1st July ment our vetassess would be worthless because hey presto……. office manager is now off the list! Total buma! So after alot of cursing and panicking we got intouch with the agent for info and the agent told us this is a mistake and to wait for the vetassess to come back before doing anything, the list will be corrected soon and they were a bit blunt and dismissive about our concerns. we got intouch again after doing our own research and finding that this was accurate that office managers are off the sol, and agent came back with basically ‘didnt i tell you all this before just be patient and wait’.
Back in January we were going to go with an agent that was really cool knew his stuff but the decision swayed when we found the agy he worked for only had one lady who was MARA reg for NZ. no knowing if this covered our backsides we went with the mara reg one that we are still currently with. Just as an inquiry we emailed the guy we were gonna go with in jan to see if he could give us any confirmation on the SOL lists. He did and also went above all expectation sending us indepth info on what our options are and giving us a few different visa pathways, id really like to sack off the mara reg agent and go with this guys company as hes provided more info in the last 2 emails than our agent has in the last 4 mths and not had an attitude! Question is then whats the risk of going with a company who’s only mara registered for NZ are they ok to do Oz immigrants from the uk too? confused aint the word sorry if ive battered all your heads! any info would be a help! ……….and i thought this was all going swimmingly!

cheers melissa xx


BobinOz July 20, 2012 at 1:02 am

Hi Melissa

Yes, what a pickle!

I’m not sure what you mean by “MARA reg for NZ”. My head is all in a spin now as well :-) I would check to see if this person is on the register of MARA agents, there is a link in the above article to their website.

Good luck though, whatever you decide to do.


chris July 21, 2012 at 9:34 pm

Hi Melissa, i know what your going through! its frustrating! all our agent did was chatt a lot of nonsense and told us to be patient whilst all our other options were closing.
Seemed friendly and helpful until he had our money then it turned very clinical and with attitude.


anil karki July 31, 2012 at 3:00 pm



fikile moyo September 13, 2012 at 6:31 am

i would like to visit my girl friend in Australia Brisbane she is at school,i would like to apply for visa which type of a visa to apply.


BobinOz September 13, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Sounds like you need a holiday visa.


vimal September 24, 2012 at 4:39 pm

I have finished bachelorof IT and post graduate certificate in IT in ECU so can i eligible for TR?


BobinOz September 24, 2012 at 6:24 pm

I really couldn’t tell you vimal, there is far more to take into account than just that. If you want a serious and way more accurate answer, you would have to provide pages of information. Check out my Visa Assessment Service for professional help.


Mark October 2, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Hi Bob, today I have a very interesting question for you:

I am 25 years old guy from Germany, I am working for a company in Perth. It s a very small factory: dad, son and mum work there. In this company I do a lot of things, I work as factory hand, I translate documents from english to german and from next year I ll do a welding course in Polithecnic of WA to become a welder for my company. In Germany I worked as insurance agent for 2 years and I am an accounter but I don’t have a degree, it s the first time that I work in a factory!
I have the IELTS certificate (score 6). Now I am here with the WHV, but I can t apply for a second WHV. But my company wants that I keep going to work for them.

How can I do?




BobinOz October 2, 2012 at 4:06 pm

I think you should talk through your situation with a MARA migration agent, it’s the only way to truly find out your options.


chris October 2, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Hi Mark,
I think also for a company to sponsor you they have to have at least 10 (i think) employee’s and meet a lot of other criteria, check out this link


rima jaiswal October 3, 2012 at 6:19 pm

im looking for mara agents in dubai who would help me with australian immigration.thnks.


BobinOz October 4, 2012 at 12:04 am

Sorry, can’t help with that one, I have no contacts in Dubai.


KB November 16, 2012 at 7:54 pm

Hi Bob,
I’m looking for an german or austrian expat who works
as an migration agent in Australia.
Thank you in advance for your help !


BobinOz November 16, 2012 at 10:25 pm


I have a Hungarian expat who is an excellent MARA migration agent, any good?



Christina November 28, 2012 at 12:01 am

Hi Bob,

So i have recently downloaded your skilled assessment form and i am looking for a general skilled migration visa. My De-facto partner has just recently moved to Western Australia (working holiday visa) and I am to join him on a tourist visa as i have already used my working holiday visa in 2009. Will there be any inclinations when i arrive into Oz on a touist visa whilst applying & in the for a general skilled migration visa. I am only in Australia for a 3 month period on holiday and was wondering how long it takes the process. I have a degree and a masters in HR and was wondering if its hard to also get an employer sponsored visafor Pilbara Western Australia. At the moment i have no employers in mind or offers yet.

Many thanks



BobinOz November 28, 2012 at 1:07 am

Hi Christina

Yes, I’ve just seen that you have purchased an assessment, Miki will look after you for sure. I can’t see any problems with you being here on a holiday visa or it having any impact on your application for the general skilled visa. I’m also pretty sure the process of your application will take longer than three months, if it is shorter than that though, I believe you will be asked to leave the country when the decision is announced. This is normal practice. But as I say, I really can’t see it being processed that fast.

Can’t help you with what your chances are of getting an employer sponsored visa though, maybe my MARA man will help out more on that one if he can.

Good luck with your application.



MARA Miki November 28, 2012 at 9:45 am

Hi Christina,

I’ve received your email and sent the response



James Henry December 20, 2012 at 1:34 am

I used a company called *NAME REMOVED* for my application, my only advice is STAY WELL AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY! sorry to shout Bob but they charged me £3000 and did absolutely nothing. I have never recieved a visa, or had a IELTS test or skills assesment. Just a bunch of crooks that I will be taking to court, just thought I’d warn anyone out there.


BobinOz December 21, 2012 at 12:22 am

Hi James

Firstly, I really do apologise for having removed the name of the company that you included in your comment, it’s a company I have heard many complaints about before and I’m sure I’ll hear more complaints about them again. Unfortunately, they also take legal action against anybody who publicly describe some as a bunch of crooks or whatever, and as this is my website, it would be me that they sue.

Sorry, I can’t afford it.

So I have (sadly) removed their name.

I don’t know how this company gets away with doing what they are doing, but you should try to track down their MARA registration number. I’ve checked, they do have one, although it is held in an individual’s name not the company name. Once you’ve tracked it down, register a complaint with their governing body. I’m not sure if they can help you get your money back, but I do believe that if this company get too many complaints then the person whose licence they are using will lose that license. Whether this company would then operate under somebody else’s license, I don’t know, but I do believe it’s worth making the complaint.

Whilst I can’t be absolutely sure about all ofthe above, I do trust my migration agent (MARA registered of course) 100% and I know he would not rip anyone off and I also know he is very good at what he does, as well as being very conscientious. Anyone looking for a migration agent, check out my Visa Assessment Service, I guarantee it.

It’s not a free service, like the visa assessment offered by the company you are complaining about James, but it is a genuine service that gives excellent value. Sorry if this seems like a blatant plug, but actually I’m more interested in preventing more people from getting ripped off like you were, it’s simply shouldn’t be allowed to happen.

Good luck James, I hope things work out well in the end.



Becky January 9, 2013 at 9:01 pm

Hi Bob,
Myself and my partner are planning on moving to Australia around about August 2014 (giving us time to save up the funds to do it, we reckon approx £20,000?). I am a Qualified Nurse (degree level) specialising in theatre Recovery, so believe an hope I will have no problem getting a job. My other half is a Rugby player development officer, so again should hopefully be ok for a job. My Sister lives in australia and works for the armed forces. So we would be able to stay with her initially while we get ourselves set up. From reading above posts, the cost of visa’s do not sound as straightforward as I thought. Do you think our budget of £20,000 will be enough to pay for visa’s, medical, flights and getting a vehicle on arrival (basic). Another question I have is, given that I want to obtain a permanent residency visa should I aim to get a job, before moving or get a job when we get there? And finally, I have a mild back complaint (I have not ‘touch wood’ had to take any time off sick for over a year due to this complaint as I manage it myself quite well) do you think this would be a problem when it comes to the medical? Or as my job is on the SOL would they be likely to not be too fussed? After what nurse doesn’t have a bit of backache?!
Thankyou in advance for any advice
Kind regards


BobinOz January 9, 2013 at 11:53 pm

Hi Becky

If you read Moving to Australia – Part Three you will see a breakdown of how much it cost us to move to Australia. Since then a few things will have gone up, certainly the Australian Governments fees, but ours includes bringing our dog as well. Based on what it cost us, I think £20,000 should just about cover it for you.

Second-hand cars are expensive here though, so you probably won’t get much for what you have left over.

Always better to get a job before you arrive if you can, but that’s not always easy to do. If you can do it, I would, if you can’t then just wait until you get here. As to your back, no, I’m pretty sure that will not cause any problems with your application, only serious, expensive and or contagious conditions are those that worry the Australian Government.

Good luck with your plans,



Becky January 10, 2013 at 9:33 pm

That puts my mind at ease thanks Bob!


jk January 28, 2013 at 1:20 pm

You mentioned that “So, if somebody is not MARA registered, they cannot charge you a fee to help you submit your application”. Is this a law? Could you elaborate further please? I am looking for a partner visa from the Philippines to Australia. I was wondering about the cost and the time it would take.
Thank you.


BobinOz January 30, 2013 at 10:04 pm

I’m pretty sure it is law here in Australia, but it probably doesn’t cover people trading from other countries. I would strongly advise choosing only a MARA registered agent though, whichever country you are from.

Cost and time is impossible for me to say, but you might be interested in my Visa Assessment Service which is performed by a MARA registered migration agent and would certainly give you precise costs and a good guess at the amount of time involved. It’s not a free service, but worth every cent.




hala February 18, 2013 at 5:03 pm

Hi Do you know of any migration agent in Lebanon,beirut..My husband and I would like to migrate to australia with our children..thanks


BobinOz February 19, 2013 at 10:13 pm

No, I don’t, but do understand that you can easily use a migration agent based anywhere, many documents are now sorted electronically. So if you can’t find one, I do recommend my agent who is based here in Australia.


Jasveer March 7, 2013 at 10:05 pm

Hi I am on 485 visa as a cook.Is it possible to apply 857 visa if so what are the requirements?


BobinOz March 8, 2013 at 4:29 pm

Sorry Jasveer, I’m not sure about that one.


Brad Brown March 8, 2013 at 2:30 am


I am a secondary teacher and my wife is a nurse. We have one son. Would we both apply for the migrant worker visa? If so…..will we both end up paying $3000 each…..or is it one application for the whole family?




BobinOz March 8, 2013 at 4:30 pm

I will pass on this one, the government fees change on a regular basis and I don’t want to mislead anyone. Watch the video on my page Visas and you will see how to find out the costs of each visa.

Cheers, Bob


a mother March 26, 2013 at 8:01 am

Thanks for this interesting page, Bob. One of my children went to medical school in Australia, graduated with her MBBS so is a physician, has done her internship in Australia, and is now doing her specialty training in Australia, too. She has been living with her Australian by birth fiance, in a house they bought together, for the past 2 years. They are getting married this summer. She has a work visa for her specialty training, of course, but would now like to proceed to permanent resident and ultimately citizenship as this is where she will live and have her family. She got a bit of bad advice about when to apply so is beginning to look into this now. Can you suggest whether she should apply as skilled migrant or through her partner?

I’m just confused as we have a son in our home country here who has sponsored his wife and things seem to be proceeding smoothly. It had been suggested to our now Australian daughter that going the partner/husband sponsored route was not the way to go – odd to me.

Many thanks
Her mother


BobinOz March 27, 2013 at 12:42 am

It sounds odd to me too, but I don’t know the ins and outs of her case and, on top of that, I’m not qualified to answer these kinds of questions anyway.

My MARA agent could probably sort this out, but he would obviously charge a fee. Let me know if you want an intro.




a mother March 27, 2013 at 1:12 am

Many thanks – Does your agent do a preliminary free consultation? May I e-mail you directly once I’ve spoken to her a bit more and in the event she wants an intro?


BobinOz March 27, 2013 at 8:02 pm

Yes, speak to your daughter first and then email me directly explaining the exact situation in full. I’ll pass that on to my migration agent to get his opinion and to see if he can help.


muhammad touseef April 9, 2013 at 11:02 pm

hi how are you bobinoz.i need your help with registered maras agent here in perth i need your email address discuss something important.


BobinOz April 10, 2013 at 1:57 pm

I only recommend one MARA agent at the moment, you will see a link to his service in the above article.


Corpuz May 3, 2013 at 4:12 pm

Hi! Appreciate your site, I find it very helpful. I just recently got in touch with an agent from Visas Simply. I want to make sure they’re legit. Have you heard of them? Would you know how to check if they are indeed registered with MARA as they claim?


BobinOz May 3, 2013 at 9:58 pm

I have never heard of the company of which you speak, and I only recommend one agent at the moment, that’s because I know him and I trust him implicitly. He is MARA registered, that means he has a MARN number and is registered with the Australian Government. If you want to look into what he provides through my website, check out my Visa Assessment Service.

As for checking out the company you are talking about, in the article above underneath where it says “What is MARA?” You will see a link to a government website called mara and if you go there and click on where it says “Find an agent” on the right hand side you can search for the company to see if they are registered.

I already have searched, given that I only have the information that you have provided, but I could not find them as registered. If a company is not MARA registered, I would strongly advise that you avoid them.

Good luck!


VD May 22, 2013 at 4:20 pm

Hi Bob,

I applied for Skill immigrant Visa (189 Subclass) in February,2013.

My Medical health checkup details have been referred to MOC for further investigations around last week of April,2013.

My CO said that currently MOC is clearing backlog of January 2013 and she will not do any further communication with me unless she has any updates from MOC. She agreed that no any other documents required from my side now.

And I don’t think i have any of the severe disease like HIV, Cancer, T.B…..i only had gone through 2 Surgery of Inguinal Hernia in year 2006 and 2010 repectivly.

Can you tell me what time it will take them to revert?

~ VD.


BobinOz May 22, 2013 at 9:30 pm

I’m afraid I can’t VD, I have heard of this somewhere before, a massive backlog in processing and, unfortunately, all you can do is sit and wait. Sorry that is not what you want to hear and no, I can’t give you a time scale.

Anybody else got a clue?


VD May 23, 2013 at 2:57 am

Hi Bob,

Just after writing to you, i checked my mail and hurray……i got mail from my CO that my medicals are cleared from MOC. and she suggested further course of action.


BobinOz May 23, 2013 at 1:25 pm

Wonderful news VD, it looks like they are clearing the backlog :-)


francis June 26, 2013 at 5:50 am

hi my name is francis,
I have been working as a bartender for the past four years from wich two years ive been working for pno Australia on the cruse ship ,is ther any chances for getting a PR or also a work permit to live in Australia.what do I have to do to get a job in Australia or live there … thank u bob …


BobinOz June 26, 2013 at 4:40 pm

That’s not something I can answer, but my MARA agent could tell you exactly what your chances are if you were to give him your full information via my visa assessment service, there are links to it all over this page. Good luck!


Natalie August 16, 2013 at 8:30 pm

Hi Bob,

I’m writing this as I’ve found your forum really helpful with other questions I’ve had and always had good responses, but I’ve been unable to find any info about the following…..

We want to ditch our Migration Agent, but our worried about the reprocussions it could have on our application. From the very beginning he has caused us problems and untold stress, and made mistakes in our application etc. I won’t go into details, but we are at a stage now where we really can’t take it anymore and want to continue our Visa Application ourselves. We also don’t want to pay him his full fee as he will not have completed the work and because we don’t feel he’s earned it anyway!!

However, we are worried that if we don’t pay him he will try to jeopardise our application and also that he won’t pass on all the relevant original documents which he currently has. We have never signed a contract with him – everything was simply discussed and agreed upon over the phone.

Can anyone offer any advice on this? Is it possible that he can contact our CO and tell them that we shouldn’t get a Visa for whatever reason he decides to give?!

We have Sponsorship from ACT for a Skilled Migration (perm) 190 Visa, which we were told was the biggest hurdle. On 11th August our agent lodged for our Visa and I have a Client Number (not sure if that’s relevant?!), but are right at the beginning of this new part of the process and actually know nothing about it or how to move forward on our own.

Please help!


BobinOz August 19, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Hi Natalie

Sorry to hear you are having problems, but I can’t really offer you any specific advice on this as I really don’t (and could never) know the full situation. This really is something that is between you and the agent.

From what you have told me, it sounds as though your agent has successfully lodged and you have been offered sponsorship from ACT, on that basis it would appear he has done something. If you no longer want to use this agent, then you should pay him for the work he has done to date, and he should return your original documentation.

That’s not legal advice for you, I can’t do that, I’m just saying what I would do if it were me.

Other than that, I really can’t answer any of your other concerns, but I do hope it all works out for the good.

Cheers, Bob


Chris Spoors August 17, 2013 at 10:57 pm

Hi, myself and my wife (43-40respectively) are both employed as General Mangers for a huge branded restaurant/pub company in the UK. We are both ALPH lisence holders and my wife has over 20 yrs customer relations/office experience and I have ran pubs for over 20 yrs. We are looking to migrate and find it difficult in our experience. I could really do with advice on how to go about migrating with these skills and I am having no luck with agencies in the uk? Any advice would be hugely appreciated chris


BobinOz August 19, 2013 at 2:00 pm

My best suggestion for you is to go through my Visa Assessment Service. It is very thorough, and if there is a way for you and your wife to move here my agent will find it. It’s not a free service, but worth every cent and at the end of the assessment my agent will give you a written report detailing any or all of the options you might have.

Good luck



Mililhmc August 25, 2013 at 8:45 am

Hi All,
I am soon going to out my EOI for 189 visa.
If I claim 5 years experience then I am getting 60 points:
Age : 25; English: 10, experience: 10 , education: 15

However I do have 7 years 3 months experience in UK with all payslips/ tax statements and will be able to get the work reference too.
Also I have further 3 years experience from India as well , although I may be able to get the employer reference , I do not have the pay slips or tax statements for them.

Then I have 9 months paid maternity leave in UK too ( over and above 7 years 3 months experience in UK )

1) Will the visa office accept my Indian experience if I do not have pay slips/ tax statement forIndian experience ( although letter headed reference will be there) this will then take me to 65 points

2) Could I use my maternity leave period in my continuity of employment?I was still employed and I do have pay slips for this period, it is also counted as continued employment in UK.
If I can use this then I do not need to use my Indian experience(to make for total of 8 years experience).
Please advise!
Many thanks



Mililhmc August 25, 2013 at 8:53 am

Hi Bob,
I was wondering if you could inform me if we need to use any specific template for employers reference or will the information as detailed in booklet 6 will suffice?


BobinOz August 25, 2013 at 10:11 pm

These aren’t questions I am qualified to answer Mili, but if you do need help from a MARA registered migration agent, then maybe you should consider using my assessment service, the link is in the above article.

Good luck!



Juma khan hazara August 29, 2013 at 9:26 pm

I AM JUMAKHAN in quetta pakistan
please help me that i go to australia to safe my life
You know that quetta is a terror place and terrorist are killing our people
I want to go australia to safe my life
thank you


BobinOz August 30, 2013 at 1:24 am

I do hope you find a way to escape from your current environment, but I am not in a position to help you with this. Australia is a very difficult country to get in to, but I don’t hand out the visas.

Stay safe, Bob


shaileshnvadhaiya September 3, 2013 at 1:04 am

i am indian. my passport is g.6875338.i have applied for the work visa in australlia by
agent. my agent says that he has done my application by mara. i have got your sponser
letter. my job setting in reed construction company. his office in 41 mclean street sydney
north. so, can i now whether the sponser letter from australlia is issued or not ?
please give me answer.


BobinOz September 3, 2013 at 8:28 pm

If I could give you an answer to this one, it would truly be a miracle.

But I can’t, so it’s not.


Anoop September 6, 2013 at 7:08 pm

Hi Bob,

We (me and my wife) have been toying with the idea of General Skilled Migration and were shopping around for agents who could assist us or lead us. However, feedback we got varied from bad to horrendous about the agents available in Middle East and India. Then we stumbled upon your website and found the same quite amusing… well, and useful too.

We had couple of questions to be raised to the referred MARA consultant that you were referring to. Before we sign up to the assessment service, would like to poise the same to you or to the consultant. Could you please give me an email so that we can communicate?




BobinOz September 9, 2013 at 9:45 pm

Hi Anoop

Yes, you do have to be a bit careful who you select, I have heard some horror stories myself. If you have specific questions you would like to ask my MARA agent, you can either ask them online as a comment if they are not of a personal nature or you can direct your comment to me via my contact me page, the link to that is in the above navigation menu.

Just to clear up, should you decide to go ahead with the assessment service you do get immediate access to Miki via email and can then talk to him direct.

Look forward to hearing from you, Bob


Anoop September 10, 2013 at 2:37 pm

Hi Bob,

Well, the querries cannot be termed entirely as private, but nevertheless it could be construed as private by few.
In any case, my querries to Miki are listed:-

1. What are the services provided by you? Do you have any post landing assistance being offered?
2. What are the fees that would be charged by you? If different modes of payment are there, please do explain
3. Could you also provide an expected timeline of different phases the application will go through?

You could either reply here, or via email.




BobinOz September 10, 2013 at 8:12 pm

Hi Anoop

At the moment we don’t offer post landing support, although it is something we are looking into for the future.

Your other questions have been asked and answered elsewhere, so I’d like to redirect you to some other comments and replies which I’m sure you will find do answer your questions. Please click here and here.

Hope that helps and good luck.



Anoop September 10, 2013 at 9:12 pm

Dear Bob,

Thanks for the info, especially the links.

I can understand that it might be bothering you to answer the same question again and again, but at the same time, it could/would be equally hard for a visitor to dig out the pertinent information. I believe I spent some time on your website and could not land up on those comments till such time you extended me that olive branch in blue!!!

Any way, thanks and I will revert.

Meanwhile, how about adding an FAQ?




BobinOz September 10, 2013 at 9:45 pm

Hi Anoop

It was no bother at all, I really don’t know why you think it was. I am working on an FAQ as well, it’ll be live very soon.




FG October 9, 2013 at 4:45 am

I’m 27 and currently live in Boston, USA. I am not particularly fond of living in the States, and have been interested in moving to Australia for a while. I’m determined not to spend the rest of my life in this country. I’m currently a student, but I’ll have a BA degree (from a high-ranking US university) come next year. I have some paid work experience – mostly doing digital design work – although as I’m still a student it’s not as extensive as an older person’s would be.

This is all very initial thinking, because migration of any sort takes an extensive amount of planning and organisation, so I wanted to know whether you or anyone else had some advice about getting started. I’ve done a bit of reading about the required points and some of the process, but it’s all still a bit overwhelming at this point.

I’d like to start the process relatively soon, but I wouldn’t go there straight away; my plan is to try to get there in about two years. Would it make more sense for me to try to get the Working Holiday visa (I probably would try to do it for a few months, rather than the full year available) before I turn 30, or should I try for one of the others and apply for work in Australia (and get a sponsor for a state or territorial visa) while still in the USA?


BobinOz October 9, 2013 at 2:54 pm


It’s one of those things that you can’t overly plan for because the rules change every year and what might get you in today, might possibly not work in a years time. Skills shortages change, the points required can change, that sort of thing. So it’s impossible to tell you now how to plan the something you hope to do in a couple of years.

The best you can do is see if your skill is on one of the current lists, and make sure you get the best qualifications and experience in that skill that you can. I would wholeheartedly recommend you come here on a WHV, although it might interest you to know that you can qualify for that whilst you are still age 30, it’s when you turn 31 that it’s no longer an option.

I believe the WHV is a great way to get to see this country first so you can find out if it really is worth all the effort to try and get here permanently. Good luck, Bob


Arif November 10, 2013 at 7:50 am

Hi There,

We applied for an EOI(Expression of Interest) and got the invitation 10 days before we received the course completion date from College. After discussion with DIAC customer service team, we proceeded with the sub class 189 application mentioning the scenario in the cover letter. The office contacted us, once the file opened and informed that the application can not be processed since we received the degree completion certificate 10 days after we received the EOI invitation. We tried to convince her however she refused the application on 5th of November 2013. Unfortunately, we were in bridging Visa and now we are under section 48 bar. We did apply apply another EOI meanwhile and invited to apply the next PR application before 19th of December. My wife is also eligible to apply for the visa 485 by 28th December, however due to this bar we are not planning to proceed with any application by our own. We have been blessed with a new born baby on 6th November(just a day after the refusal of our 1st PR application) and she needs special attention from the hospital.
We are seeking your advise and it would be helpful if you can help us to apply the next EOI as well as 485 on time.

Arif Aman


BobinOz November 11, 2013 at 1:39 pm

Congratulations on the birth of your baby, I hope she is well.

If you need assistance with your next application, it can only be provided by a MARA registered migration agent. I recommend my guy, see my Visa Assessment Service.

Thanks, Bob


tanvir November 19, 2013 at 8:56 pm

Hi Bob

I have submitted my EOI and waiting for the invitation. I have applied for subclass 190 as my migration agent advice it. Currently i have job experienced about 7 years 10 months. i need another 2 months for getting 8 years job experience point. without this point it will not be subclass 190 , it will be subclass 489 . Do you think my agent is right. As he told me EOI need 2/3 months to receive my invitation. With in this time 8 years will be completed. so no problem to submit subclass 190. Is he right or wrong .In assessment accepted 5 years job experience. Plz help me.


BobinOz November 20, 2013 at 8:44 pm

I’m not a MARA agent, so asking me is like asking somebody waiting for a bus to give you a second opinion on what your Doctor has just told you :-)

In other words, you need to trust your migration agent, I assume he is registered with MARA? If he is not a MARA registered agent, then maybe you should get a second opinion from somebody who is.


Katie November 20, 2013 at 10:50 pm

Hi Bob,

Thanks for having this website here, VERY helpful!

My partner and I are hoping to move to Perth January 2016 ish.

He is a qualified joiner and by the time we go will also be a qualified ship engineer so is on the list.
We will be married by then.
I think I am going to get in touch with your reccomended MARA agent, just wanted to know if you think it will be possible for us to go on working holiday visas and apply for skilled migration once there… without having to come home. Or if you think it would be easier to migrate from here…

Many Thanks


BobinOz November 21, 2013 at 9:40 pm

Hi Katie, glad you like my website :-)

My MARA agent will be able to advise you much better than I can regarding your question, he will explain to you the process involved in attempting to switch from a WHV to a more permanent working visa, and there is a process, it’s not that straightforward.
Cheers, Bob


Rim November 21, 2013 at 8:16 pm

Hi Bob

I really like your site. Its really helpful.

Do you please tell me on average how much time it takes for getting EOI result ?



BobinOz November 21, 2013 at 11:47 pm

See EOI.


Vinnie December 4, 2013 at 10:58 am

Hi Bob,

I’m pretty sure I’m not the first one to say it, but I appreciate your patience in replying to all the queries posted in your website (especially the recurrent ones!).

I’m interested in signing up and taking advise from your MARA agent. Just one query though (I hope it isn’t a recurring query, lol), considering I have a good chance of a PR Visa and I choose to use your MARA agent to represent me, is it so much of a challenge to have an agent represent another person without actually meeting in person?

I am presently living in Sydney and I am on a Student Visa.



BobinOz December 4, 2013 at 1:15 pm

Hi Vinnie

Thanks for your kind words, I appreciate it.

You’ll be pleased to hear that actually, no, this question hasn’t been asked before. Having an agent represent you without any face-to-face contact would have presented challenges five or six years ago, but not today, almost everything is done electronically.

Electronic applications are now the norm; Skype, video conferencing, facetime on iPhones, scanning, emails and even cheap mobile phone calls have almost made direct meetings a thing of the past.

No, I don’t think you’ll find there will be any extra challenges at all, the modern electronic process is simply quicker.

Good luck, hope you find a permanent way to stay in Australia whatever you decide to do.

Cheers, Bob


Vinnie December 5, 2013 at 9:53 am

Thanks for the reply, Bob.


Teja December 4, 2013 at 2:28 pm

Hi Bob,

I want to signup with your MARA agent for my PR Visa process and i just want to know how successful you have been in PR process. And how about the chances of PR for students doing 16 months MBA program in Australia. Do we get any extra points for this? Please suggest.



BobinOz December 5, 2013 at 2:26 pm

Hi Teja

My MARA agent only accepts cases for which he feels there is good chance of success. If, after doing the visa assessment, he doesn’t think you have a chance he will not take you on as a client.

Please understand that if you have enough points and everything looks good, you can get tripped up at the very last by the medical or police check, things that are out of the control of any agent.

Of the clients he has taken on, last time we spoke about this he told me all of his applications had been accepted except one, but that was being appealed. I have no specific information about students doing MBA programs or whether you would specifically get extra points, but my MARA agent will be able to answer this question when doing the assessment.

Hope that helps, Bob


MARA Miki December 5, 2013 at 9:04 pm

Hi Teja,

The 16 months MBA will not give you any additional points (for study). If you were to take a two years course you could potentially* be richer by 15 points (5 only for the study).
The success rate is rather hard to determine, areas i keep maintaining 100% while some other areas cases were unsuccessful. Some was lodged with the knowledge of high risk factor, some came a surprise.
My success rate isn’t important, since i take on clients only i believe i can achieve success for.
We worked on the assessment service for a while now and it seems to be working. Once you get the result you can make a decision whether or not working with me or without me.

Whatever happens, i wish you the best of luck!


* just to be clear, 15 is a possibility if circumstances are right.


Joe December 4, 2013 at 4:03 pm

Hi BobinOz

Really Nice side. I love this site.
I need to know exactly
1) how much ceiling is available right now for subclass 190?
2) how many invitation will be approved for ANZSCO 242111 in December ?



BobinOz December 5, 2013 at 2:32 pm

Yes, nice site, thanks Joe :-) But I don’t have this kind of information.


MARA Miki December 5, 2013 at 9:08 pm


1. approx 135000 GSM visa will be granted in 2013/2014 year
2. How many will be invited will depend on how many was lodged/and how many was approved by the two main nominating state

if you need to know nearly up to date result:
DIAC Information:
Ceilng Value: 2400
Results to Date: 108



Joe December 7, 2013 at 1:33 pm

Hi Miki

Thanks for your reply.
Just only one question . We can see the report in Skillselect how many have been invited for subclass 189 & subclass 489 rounds of invitations for general skilled migration visas on the first and third Mondays of each month. what about subclass 190 . how can we know how many will be invited for the month? confuging for me. would you plz explain.

Thanks again


Harpreet kaur December 9, 2013 at 8:12 pm

Hi dear

i am harpreet kaur running study visa consultancy last 2 yrs i need to tie up with good Mara agent who help to resolve our queries regarding Australia immigration .
kindly contact us or provide Ur mail id i am thankful for Ur cooperation.

Perfect Education Consultants
Harpreet kaur


BobinOz December 10, 2013 at 8:51 pm

Hello dear

Sorry, can’t help with that one, I am not a MARA agent myself and the agent I use already has connections with a study visa company. Thanks though, Bob


kenny December 26, 2013 at 5:44 pm

Hi BobinOz

I like your site. Really helpful. I need your help.

I have applied for state sponsor for subclass 190 in NSW and received acknowledgement on 16th November 2013. Recently NSW announce applications for NSW nomination for the subclass 190 visa will close ,Effective 24 December 2013. Applications received after this date will not be processed or returned. NSW will reopen for the subclass 190 visa nomination in July 2014.
What does it means ? Does it means my application will be suspended upto July 2014 or i have a chance to get nomination with in July . PLz help.


WA December 26, 2013 at 10:11 pm

Hi Kenny,

Is this announcement by NSW for certain occupations or for all ?



BobinOz December 28, 2013 at 12:54 am

Sorry Kenny, but I’m really not sure what it means. Can anyone clarify this?


kenny December 28, 2013 at 9:10 pm


It is for subclass 190 and All occupations .


kenny December 29, 2013 at 3:13 pm

somebody help plz need to know.


kajal January 1, 2014 at 6:36 am

Hi BobinOz

First of all I would like to say that your site is truly helpful. I appreciate the efforts you are putting in to clear our doubts.

I need your help desperately. I am planning to apply for visa 189.
I have 30 points for age as I am 25 years old
I have 10 points for ielts but I can nevertheless try to get 20 points.
So in short I have 40 points for sure.

I wanted to ask you about my degree. I have done bachelor of laws (5 yrs course) from India and master of laws (1 yr course with dissertation) from United Kingdom.

What do u think. How will SLAA assess my degree. Is there a chance of me to get 20 points. Will Australia recognize my degree at par with theirs.

Is there anyone from India especially, who has got his skills assessed by SLAA.

I would be really grateful if you could answer my questions.

Thank you.
Thanks a ton.


BobinOz January 5, 2014 at 8:32 pm

Hi Kajal

This isn’t something I can help you with, this kind of question is best asked of a MARA agent. Unless someone else reading this can help out. Anybody?


tarcy January 4, 2014 at 5:36 pm

Hi BobinOz
Really nice site. i need your help
I have submitted EOI and state sponsor to NSW on 14th nov. and got acknowledgement. but i need another two months for getting my 8 years job experience.I have applied for subclass 190 . without 8 years job experience point it will be 55 it is 7 years 11 months 19 days. My question is , NSW already stop subclass 190 from 24th DEC. how they will treat my application? are not they accept my application as i have submitted before 24th DEC? As i have received the acknowledgement, 15th jan 2014 my job experience will be 8 after that day i will be qualified for subclass 190. so what will be the procedure? plz help.


BobinOz January 6, 2014 at 7:59 pm

The short answer is I don’t know, but you might like to ask the same question on my page about EOI as quite a few people over there might be able to help you with this.


Kashif January 6, 2014 at 5:21 am

Please someone help me i am looking MARA agent in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia


Bhatti February 2, 2014 at 1:33 am

Dear Kashif,

Contact me :Telephone number removed by admin.


BobinOz February 3, 2014 at 2:54 pm


If you do contact the above, please ensure that they are a registered migration agent if offering to assist you and be very cautious of anyone asking you for money.

Cheers, Bob


jim January 25, 2014 at 9:04 pm

Hi Bob

nice site. i have a question.

How many times normally need to get invitation subclass 489 . I have applied subclass 489 in NSW. plz help.


BobinOz January 28, 2014 at 4:03 pm

One successful invitation would do it, I would guess.


HimaBindu V January 29, 2014 at 7:46 pm

Hello Folks,
I am Hima and I have done my post graduation in Australia. I got my permanent residency in January 2004 and have left Australia in July 2005. I never returned back.Unfortunately my PR got expired in 2009. Is there any possibility wherein I can return on the basis on my PR with the help of resident return visa. I could not find anything helpful even after going through the immi site.


BobinOz January 30, 2014 at 4:39 pm

I think this is something you will need to discuss with a MARA registered migration agent. Good luck, Bob


Furqan February 2, 2014 at 1:26 am

Hi Bobs,

I went through a lot of comments upside and really happy to see your support to the people and way of clarity and reality. Appreciated! As I am interested to move Australia, soon will get the assessment from you and Miki help.

Just confused to ask you that if i go through initial assessment 100$ and not to approach the required point scale for immigration, so shall i proceed it for further steps to get permit visa by supporting you and Miki to move Australia, Because my status is single with background of Polymer Engineering with professional experience of 4 years and age 27 years.



BobinOz February 3, 2014 at 2:51 pm

Not really sure I understand your question fully Furqan, but if the assessment shows that you do not have enough points to put in an application my agent will, if it is possible, make suggestions to you for what you can do to improve your chances.

Hope that helps, Bob


Dr Hitesh Chopra February 10, 2014 at 4:34 am

Hi Bob
I am a dentist by profession (BDS, MDS) from India, Now working in Ministry of Higher Education Saudi Arabia on post of lecturer. I am very much interested in doing phD from australia but i wanted to know that will it open me doors for permanent residency or not and further Which Mara agent to contact to help me Guide.

Thanks and Regards
Dr Hitesh Chopra


BobinOz February 10, 2014 at 4:23 pm

You should either talk that through with a MARA registered migration agent or if you prefer, Google Australian Dental Association (ADA) and look for information on what it would take to be allowed to practice your profession here in Australia.

Thanks, Bob


Karthick February 18, 2014 at 9:48 am

Hi Bob,

Let me introduce myself as am Karthick from UK and am working as a Network Security Engineer. I am having an interest to apply for the Permanent residency Visa under section 190. When I went through the process it is found that we will have the medical assessment which has to be cleared.

Recently (8 months before) i had an unexpected Heart Issue which made me to have an ICD fitted in my body as a precaution to prevent from anything happening in future. After that incident i am all well and healthy. It is i have to go for a check up once in 3 months and after a year it is one in 6 months just to test the device. In this scenario i would like to know will my condition leads to rejection of Visa if i apply.

I have a good qualifications and working experience with Network Security for a Banking sector. It would be great if you can help me as i came across your name to seek help in all the blogs.

I request you to do the needful.



BobinOz February 18, 2014 at 6:08 pm

Hi Karthick

Sounds like you are making good progress with your application, but clearly you have concerns about the medical. My understanding is that highly contagious conditions and those that require expensive ongoing treatment are the kind of thing that can usually cause problems with applications.

I can’t answer on behalf of immigration, they will make their decision on your medical based on the report given to them by the doctor who checks you out, but if your condition is under control and the treatment isn’t costly, then it should not cause you a problem.

Search Google for “Australian health requirement” and you will find their fact sheet on this, hopefully that will put your mind at rest.

Cheers, Bob


Dadalo Tilo February 20, 2014 at 6:25 pm

Hello sir I am very impressed with your response and review so far you seem to be sincere in your dealings as I have taken the liberty to check. I am very interested in Migrating to Australia as I have glanced through the skilled occupation list, I found out that my occupation ( occupational Health and Safety) is on that list. I am 31 one years of age, I have an Msc from a reputable University in United Kingdom, About 7 years of experience and also a number of recognized safety qualification including NEBOSH Occupational Safety from the United kingdom. I am very interested in the Migrating to Australia please kindly send me a private mail detailing all the cost ( Including assesstment and Miki) and the documents you require of me and I will make the necessary payment using my UK Debit card. Also I would love to ask a personal favor if you could assist in securing job or advice on how to secure a job in Australia.


BobinOz February 21, 2014 at 1:30 pm

Hi Dadalo, thanks for the kind words.

It is impossible for my agent to calculate the full costs without knowing precisely which visa you will be applying for, that’s why we do this visa assessment. Your visa assessment report will break down all the costs completely and the way to get that report is to purchase it from my Visa Assessment Service page.

As for securing a job here, we don’t directly help you with that, but you may find the package that is available on my page How to Find a Sponsored Job in Australia very useful in your search.

We look forward to helping you with your move to Australia.

Cheers, Bob


Manoj February 22, 2014 at 5:48 pm

How long MOC will take time for investigation? will problem in eye sight _1.75 reffer to MOC?


BobinOz February 24, 2014 at 12:54 pm

Not sure how long they might take, but I’m pretty sure the eyesight problem you mention would not need referral to them.


Manoj February 24, 2014 at 1:38 pm

I had jundic before 10 yrs ago for a months.
But when i check my hepatits B and C before applying australia result was non reactive also in medical test of australia the result was negative. My hiv test was also neg. and other thing when i was born i got nemoina for a
Weeks. But i checked my chest x ray before and after
Medical of australia there was not any spot in my chest and report was also normall
Were my previous health it been to moc?


BobinOz February 25, 2014 at 2:03 pm

I have no idea what the investigation will cover, all you can do is wait for their decision. Good luck, hope it turns out well, Bob


Gareth February 28, 2014 at 9:38 pm

Hi Bob,
I am a construction lecturer in the Uk and recently the awarding body has seperated. it used to be city and guilds and cskills joined providing trade skills NVQs. now they have parted a lot of students intending going to Oz are wondering,as we are too, is CSkills recognised as part of the visa assessment points system. I know city and guilds are worldwide recognised but cskills now standing alone, I’m not so sure. if you could offer any guidance on this it would be great as we are trying to chose the best options for our students who may intend to travel in the future.If you had any documents etc that I could use to present to my manager that would be of great assistance

Kind Regards



BobinOz March 1, 2014 at 10:35 pm

Finding out if your skill or qualifications are recognised here in Australia is a skill within itself. I can’t help you with this, you really need to be speaking to a MARA registered migration agent. They can look at your skills and qualifications and look into whether or not they are recognised here, and if they are not you can always go for a skills assessment.

My agent could help you with this if you want to take it further, check out my Visa Assessment Service.

Good luck, Bob


Rohin March 2, 2014 at 10:17 pm

Hey Bob !!!

I am an Occupational therapist from India and i am planning to move to Australia. My to-be wife is also an OT, i was wondering if you can guide us with how to get started ..

Thanks and regards,
Rohin Kaul.


BobinOz March 4, 2014 at 12:31 am

No, that’s not what I do, I’m not a MARA migration agent. If you want guidance, see the answer I’ve given to the comment above yours.


Marilyn March 18, 2014 at 3:37 pm

Hi Bob !
I’m from Peru I’ve been here in Australia 4 years ago.I came here with a student Visa and its really hard to live with this visa for longer.I’m midwife I’M 52 years old,so I just need a help I really never consultated with an agent migration because my school agent say that I’m old to get a job and sponsor here as midwife ,Please help me what I can do?
I’d like to get a job in a hospital o whatever,I have many experience .
Please let me know if its possible to get a Job
Marilyn M


BobinOz March 18, 2014 at 9:39 pm

I can’t help you Marilyn, but it may be worth you going through my Visa Assessment Service.

If there is a chance to find a way to stay here, he will find it. Some skills are not restricted by age, I’m not sure whether you do is or isn’t, but it may be worth looking into.

Good luck, Bob


Marc April 4, 2014 at 10:08 pm

I’m from Philippines.But right now I’m working in UAE.I heard that marketing job is in demand now in Australia.Can you give me MARA registered agent here in UAE.Because most of the agency are telling me that my course is demand and when I send my resume.They told me that im qualified to apply in Australia..Waiting for your kind reply.


BobinOz April 5, 2014 at 12:42 am

I don’t know of any MARA agents in the UAE, but it is not really necessary to choose an agent who lives in your country. Most things are done electronically these days and I think it is always a good idea to use an Australian-based MARA registered migration agent. I do recommend my guy, see my Visa Assessment Service.

Good luck, Bob


Mitchell (Mitch) Hickinbottom May 12, 2014 at 12:12 am

Hello everyone,

I’m from the UK and recently attended a Down Under Live event, brilliant event I would recommend anyone thinking of going to Australia for anything other than a holiday to attend this event. Just type Down Under Live into google for some dates.

I’m currently at the idea / finding an agent part of my move to australia, very much at the start of the whole process. I found there are two main migration companies in the UK both seem good and professional and as far as I can see both have very good reviews on the net. Both were at the Down Under Live event also, offering good advice for free.

These two companies are the Emigration Group and Immigration2oz, for me personally I wanted an agent based in the UK not Australia and in my opinion I found these two companies to be the best, definitely the most reviewed. There are others if you want to look for them but I only reviewed these two.

They are really similar to each other in the mini-comparison I did, for the Emigration group I dealt with a guy called Mike and a lady called Ceris, both very helpful and knowledgeable, for Immigration2oz I dealt with John Adams, again very helpful and knowledgeable. Both have won Down Under Awards in 2012, Emigration Group won best migration agent and Immigration2oz won best customer satisfaction. Both have good success rates of 99+% visa applications being granted. Both offer free initial visa assessment.

This is as far as I have gone so far by the way, I had free initial visa assessments off both companies, both assessments come back saying more or less the same thing and both were professional and informative, but can only go off the brief information you put into the form that takes 10mins to complete, so not always accurate as I found out after attending the Down Under Live event. The comparison I have done is based on the information I had at this point and my experiences of both companies at the event. I now have to choose which one I will further my application with. this depended on the differences not the similarities.

The differences I found were,
Difference 1) Emigration Group have been established since 1992 and Immigration2oz established 2003
Difference 2) Emigration Group offer a job search service to help you get employed. Not sure if Immigration2oz do this, but I couldn’t find anything written in their pack that said they do and I didn’t ask them at the event, so they might but not sure. There may also be extra charges for this, again I’m not sure.
Difference 3) The full migration appraisal for Emigration Group is £95 (which is refunded if the application is lodged, with them). For immigration2oz they do a £250 plus VAT “to engage their services”, they take all your details and produce a report, I interoperated this as the same as Emigration Groups full migration appraisal. Difference 4) Immigration2oz also offer sit down face to face meetings on certain weekends across the country, this is a one to one consultation regarding visa applications you book a slot, not sure of the duration of the slot, the cost is normally £100 plus VAT for this, but there is an offer on at the moment for £25 plus VAT. Again not sure if Emigration Group do something similar but could not find any evidence documented anywhere they both do seminars though.

So basically this is my opinion of a comparison of the two companies, I hope this helps anyone who is stuck between the two as I was. But I will say please look into it yourself this is just my opinion and interpretations, I will probably choose the Emigration Group and am going look to start my application after the Australian tax year on the 1st of July 2014.


BobinOz May 12, 2014 at 2:37 pm

I just want to make it absolutely clear to my readers that I have never heard of either of these two companies and as such cannot recommend or endorse them. With respect to you Mitch, I’m not really sure you are in a position to recommend them either as you haven’t actually used them to successfully get a visa yet.

At the moment they are both trying to win your business, so you should expect them to be very helpful, you can only judge them once you have paid them and found out precisely what they can do for you.

There is only one MARA registered migration agent I currently recommend and you can read details of that recommendation over on my page about my Visa Assessment Service.

When I setup that service we decided not to go for the ‘free’ assessment model and as you have found out for yourself Mitch, these free assessments are pretty worthless anyway. They don’t actually answer the question fully, they are more of a tool to try and engage you with the MARA agent to pay for a proper appraisal.

Interesting to see that one of the companies wants £95 for an appraisal and the other £250 plus VAT to produce a similar report. Hopefully you can see how much value for money my services at just $100 (currently about £55 and also refundable if the application is lodged through my agent) for a full written report.

These days visa applications are lodged electronically and there is really no need to select an agent who is based in the same country as yourself. Documents and forms can be transferred securely over the Internet and there really is no need to have any face-to-face meetings.

I hope the process goes smoothly for you, who ever you decide to use.

Cheers, Bob


Syed Shah May 12, 2014 at 1:48 pm

Hi, I need information of MARA agents in Bangalore, India.
Kindly do the needful..


BobinOz May 12, 2014 at 3:00 pm

Please see my answer to the comment above yours.


Kiran Monteiro May 28, 2014 at 6:10 pm

Hi Bob,

I am in India and looking to migrate to Australia and would like to use a MARA agent to assist me with my application. Could you please recommend a registered agent who can help me with my endeavor.

Kiran Monteiro


BobinOz May 28, 2014 at 7:42 pm

Of course: Visa Assessment Service.

Good luck, Bob


llewellyn July 8, 2014 at 5:39 am

Hi Bob,
thinking about moving to Australia in 2 years with my wife and 4 children. planning on using your MARA agent to apply for a skilled visa.

1) should i start the process now so that i know if i will qualify or not, or should i wait until closer to the time

2) it is roughly around £6000 to apply for the 5 of us (i think). Anyway, when we apply, if we get turned down, do we loose all that money


BobinOz July 13, 2014 at 8:46 pm

Hi Llewellyn

There are pros and cons to getting it done now or waiting until nearer the time. The rules change every year as do the occupations on the skills lists, so whatever advice my agent gives you now may not be relevant in a year or two’s time. On the other hand, it’s good to know now what your chances are now rather than waiting until you want to move, after all, this process does take a long time and could well take more than a year before you get your answer.

For example, and this is only one example of many, if you wait two years you may get five less points for your age and that may be the difference between acceptance or refusal. I’m sure you realise it would be good to have that information now and not in two years time.

It also depends very much on what kind of visa you are going for and in some instances it’s possible to be granted your visa and not have to actually move here for some time, so I always think it’s best to do it now.

To answer your second question, yes, under current rules if you pay your application fee and get turned down you do lose the money. That’s why I think it is very important to use a MARA registered migration agent as they only accept cases that they are fully confident will be successful.

Hope that helps, Bob


noah nforbi July 24, 2014 at 5:02 pm

hello bob,
My name is NOAH NFORBI am from Cameroon but i live now in Thailand and am doing some kind of odd job and also am a high school dropout i don’t have any certificate in any field so i will like to know if is possible for me to enroll in any language school in Australia that offer IELTS course and i will also like to know if the language school can provide me document that i can apply for student visa ?
Thanks a and waiting for your reply .
Regard .


BobinOz July 24, 2014 at 9:45 pm

I’m sure there is an IELTS course you could enroll in here, but you will have to pay for that tuition and you will need a student visa in order to attend any college within Australia. In other words, you will need to successfully apply and be granted a student visa to come to Australia to study.

Please watch the video on my page about Visas, that will help you with the application process.


monat July 24, 2014 at 6:01 pm

Hello bob,
Which course is the cheapest course in Australia that can cost me $2000 per semester ?


BobinOz July 24, 2014 at 9:46 pm

I don’t know which course is the cheapest course in Australia, but I’m pretty sure you’ll be hard pushed to find anything as cheap as that.


johnny jong July 31, 2014 at 9:32 pm

hi bob,

i have a question, i intend to apply for subclass 190 and i am a chef. currently have a stable job in melbourne one of the big hotel chain in melbourne before i have work over 10 years in all over south east asia as a chef . i just want to know how much will that cost me? me and my partner? currently i am under 457 visa. currently i got a assessor to asses my skill. so i now i have trade diploma issue by austarlia college.


BobinOz August 1, 2014 at 12:30 am

Are you asking what the cost to the Australian government of the visa will be? If you go to my page about Visas and watch the video, it shows you how you can find out the cost of any type of visa.

Cheers, Bob


sandeep August 22, 2014 at 9:01 pm

Dear Sir,

Iam planning to go for Australia with general skilled migrant visa subclass 190. But my immigration agent who does not have MARA, registered. Can i able to go there will i find any problem over going there


joseph September 24, 2014 at 11:48 pm



joseph September 24, 2014 at 11:51 pm

Good day bob please how much will its cost me to pay directly from nigeria to australia ….how much am i free to pay okay


joseph September 24, 2014 at 11:56 pm

hoping to received your feedback mr can i apply or reach you,in my health wise and strong and fit okay pls i really need to know how much total will i pay…..i am applying for an accountancy student here.pls am able to pay my fees as soon as i received my feedback.

thanks joseph okuoma


BobinOz September 25, 2014 at 6:34 pm

You are not very patient are you Joseph? The only way to get an answer on how much it will cost from my website is to go through my Visa Assessment Service.

Please read all of the information on that page as it will tell you everything you need to know.

Good luck, Bob


Farah October 29, 2014 at 10:07 pm

Hi Bob,

Just wondering what your wife does? I am a nutritionist in the UK but my qualifications are not recognised in OZ. Both my husband and I are ‘on the edge’ of being eligible to apply and we are trying to find an angle.




BobinOz October 30, 2014 at 11:48 pm

If you are asking what skill my wife had that enabled us to qualify for a visa to move to Australia, it was marketing. That’s not gonna help you much or your husband, all I can suggest is that if you’re looking for an angle and you’re having difficulty finding one, then you really should go through my Visa Assessment Service, that’s exactly what it is designed to do.

Good luck, Bob


Julia Carlson November 6, 2014 at 12:01 am

You’re right. I think it’s very smart to use a migration agent. That way, things go off without a hitch. I can’t imagine moving to Australia all by myself. That would be so stressful. I really need help with stuff like this. Talk about being in over your head.


BobinOz November 6, 2014 at 9:01 pm

One addition, MARA registered, of course :-)


fayaz November 7, 2014 at 4:23 am

hi, iam an Indian 52 year old, a civil engineer and urban planner how can i get visa to australia.


Sudha November 8, 2014 at 11:40 am

Hi There,

Being a Canadian Citizen still do i need to write IELTS OR TOEFL for applying Australia Permanent Residency? with having 7 years of Indian working Experience in Accounting field and 3 years and 10 months of Canadian working Experience in Accounting Field. Please e-mail me at your earliest convenience.



Julia November 10, 2014 at 4:44 pm

Hi we are looking to movE from the UK to Adelaide and would like recommendations of outer suburbs with family friendly communities to start searching for a place to call home. We hope to be ready next year(2015) with a date of Christmas to give us time to get everything ready. We already have work out in Oz for my husband, I am. Health care assistant in a doctors surgery so hopefully can pick up work too. So home wise somewhere within 15k of the beach and CBD is good with schools, shops and overall less concrete more open space. Any ideas?


BobinOz November 10, 2014 at 9:32 pm

You would be much better off asking this question on my page about Adelaide Julia, that way you would have a better chance of someone from that city helping you out. Do have a good read of the comments already there though, you may get some good information.


John Mathew November 23, 2014 at 5:47 pm

Hi Bob,

I am planning to apply for the migrate to australia. I did my skill assesment test and i have a score of 60 points. What are my chances of getting a PR???


Vinod Naik November 24, 2014 at 1:38 am

Hi Bob,
I am Vinod. I have gone through your website and found quite a plethora of information about migration to Aussies. In fact, I have some queries regarding migration. I got a positive response from Engineers Australia for my profile mechanical Engineer during Feb 2010. I just want to know whether its valid still for lodging my papers for immigration purposes. I am currently in India.


BobinOz November 24, 2014 at 7:33 pm

Can’t help with that one, I have no idea how long these things are valid for.


pooja sharma November 27, 2014 at 6:18 pm

Hi bob
This pooja form India i am running my company in India and deals in migration visa student visa. if you are willing we can move forward.


BobinOz November 28, 2014 at 10:28 pm

Thanks for the offer pooja, but I’ve already got one.


maryn December 7, 2014 at 9:22 am

hi Bob i am a Australian citizen and i live in Australia but got married in south Africa also loged a partner visa what I would like to know how long it takes to get a file number from the empasy and do i need to have a immigration agent


BobinOz December 8, 2014 at 4:42 pm

You don’t ‘need’ to have a migration agent, but the process can be quite complex and if you lodge an unsuccessful application you do not get your application feedback from the Australian government. For these reasons, many people prefer to pay a MARA registered migration agent to help them apply for their visas.

As for how long it takes, there really is no set time, I’m afraid it’s just a waiting game.


David okereke December 8, 2014 at 3:35 pm

Hi bob, I’m Nigeria living in tenerife island Spain. I have you10 years permanent resident, i do import and export officially and legal. Please advise me whatto do, i need a tourist visa to travel to Australia by nest year 2015, i resently came back from Japan few days ago i used tourist visa aswell, please help me out,best regards David


BobinOz December 8, 2014 at 5:58 pm

I don’t personally help arrange visas for anybody, if you need professional assistance then you should engage my MARA migration agent through my Visa Assessment Service.

Good luck, Bob


Muthu Balachandran January 20, 2015 at 4:12 pm

While calculating assessment points my blood family’s sponsorship points not consider to add, if it consider my point level will go 65, kindly confirm


sudhamathi January 20, 2015 at 4:18 pm

I am 47 years, completed MA, B.Ed, my husband 49 years B.Com, MBA, my own sister residing at Perth with her family with PR, can I get her sponsor points to my application, my husband age is in the neck of month to qualify, kindly suggest me


Jay j February 4, 2015 at 6:12 pm

Hi bob,I am from SierraLeone.I am eligible for a australian visa?


BobinOz February 6, 2015 at 7:56 pm

Hehe, that’s funny Jay j.


preet February 7, 2015 at 4:35 am

hello dear sir/madam
i need 360 hours paid work experience and i find job for that my question is that my company is going to pay me by checque and told me company will pay my tax and superannuation every three months i am very confused that if i get my pay by checque not in bank account then immigration will accept it when i will lodge my case


BobinOz February 9, 2015 at 5:16 pm

I can help you with specifically although it seems to me that your cheque will still need to go through your bank account and will therefore show on your bank statements anyway.


Yash Bhatt February 22, 2015 at 12:09 am

Hi Bob, can you throw some light on the best MARA registered agent in Mumbai whI doesn’t cost much? Also, I’m a graduate with no work experience, so which type of visa shall I apply for? Please help.


BobinOz February 22, 2015 at 9:19 pm

No, I can’t, I don’t know any MARA registered migration agents in Mumbai. If you do find one, make sure you verify that they are MARA registered by asking them for their registration number and checking it through the link in the above article.

Of course, most of the work these days is done electronically, so you don’t really need a Mumbai based agent, you could just as easily use one based here in Australia and if you decide to do that, then I do recommend my agent whose details are also in the above article.


Yash Bhatt February 22, 2015 at 11:03 pm

Thanks Bob. :)
Also I am an IT graduate. Is there any scope for IT industry in Australia?


BobinOz February 23, 2015 at 6:04 pm
Clare Vinay March 10, 2015 at 1:51 pm

Dear Bob,

I would like some advice in relation to the following – I have a nephew who has had his occupation assessed as ‘Advertising Specialist’. He has scored 7.5 for IELTS and submitted an EOI and scored 65 points for 189 visa. Rather than wait for his occupation to he listed on the Sol, can he apply for jobs in Oz and see whether he is successful and advise DIBP. The other alternative for him is to wait for an invitation to apply, but he has no State Nomination… any advice here.


BobinOz March 10, 2015 at 8:09 pm

Yes, I’m afraid that’s another one of those questions I am legally unable to answer, please see my important notices above.


Solly March 11, 2015 at 3:07 pm

Dear Bob,

I am 36 yrs, Indian, working as Registered nurse in Abudhabi (BSN)since 2007.I am planning to migrate to Australia with my family(husband and two kids).Can you please help me to find a approved agency in UAE and what is the next step to get PR.


furqan March 11, 2015 at 6:55 pm

Dear Solly,

Good to see your question. I have some same situation as my wife is in Pakistan and working as a registered Military Nursing (B.Sc).

Dear Bob,

Could you please help me as I am working in saudi arabia as a process engineer and want to migrate to Australia. Having 5 years of experience in my own field here. my age is 28. Will be thankful for your advice.


BobinOz March 11, 2015 at 9:41 pm

Solly, I don’t have any contacts in the UAE, but if you use the link in the above article underneath the heading “What is MARA?” you can visit their website and search their database for registered agents. You might find someone from UAE, but I can’t tell you how good they might be, as I say, I don’t know anyone over there.

Fuqan, I can’t help you, you need to speak to a MARA registered migration agent.

Both of you, I do highly recommend my MARA registered migration agent, he works with me here on this website, again there is a link to his service in the above article, right at the top. Look for the words Visa Assessment Service.

Good luck, Bob


solly March 12, 2015 at 2:42 pm

Thanks a lot.


sara March 26, 2015 at 10:17 pm

hi bob

my husband is currently living and working in dubai and is on work visa and i live in australia. we applied for a partner subclass 309 visa last year after we got married and my husband was granted his visa two days ago. we have collected our documents and will be booking a ticket for him to come here but we are confused with the working visa.. does he wait for his working visa to finish and then travel to australia with his partner visa? or can he just book a ticket now and come to australia and not worry about the work visa? his employer is fine with him leaving now but we are confused with what we should do. could you please help us out?
thank you


BobinOz March 27, 2015 at 9:15 pm

No, I can’t, you would need to talk to a MARA migration agent. Check out my important notices above.


crissy March 29, 2015 at 10:32 pm

Hi there,

I australian citizen and i wanted to have my cousin to come for a holiday from the Philippines. I spoke to flight centre twice who confirmed that he doesnt need a visa to come to Australia as long as he has return flight ticket. So before i do purchase a ticket for him. i just wanted to check that the flight centre agents are telling the correct information?

Does he need to come for a holiday to visit us here in Australia?

Hope to hear from you soon.




BobinOz March 30, 2015 at 4:43 pm

Your cousin will need a visa unless he is an Australian citizen with a current Australian passport, even for just a holiday.


furqan April 1, 2015 at 2:02 am

Dear Bob,

I want to know is there any consultant or agent available in Saudi Arabia? I am loking for it to start my process. Kindly guide me as i have 5 year professional experience in my own field and want to move now in Australia. Please help


BobinOz April 1, 2015 at 9:32 pm

Not one that I know of or can recommend to you. These days everything can be done online, over the Internet, plus a bit of Skype or telephone calls. If you want to work with an agent I do recommend, then look no further than my Visa Assessment Service.


ayo April 25, 2015 at 10:34 pm

Hi,am a Nigeria,am a community health worker working in a primary health centre,I also hav my first and second degree in health education.have 8yrs experience on myjob,my hubby is a business man,plsi need your help on how to move pepermanently to Australia.


BobinOz April 27, 2015 at 4:11 pm
Suniti May 4, 2015 at 4:40 pm

hey Bob!..
as u have suggested to google i have been googling loads to find ways to permanently settle to Australia.not sure until now the right way..

well, im a student currently in india. As soon as i am done with my masters degree i waana flee to Australia and start working there….and eventually migrate!

pls be my google and channel me as to how i shall begin with procedures asappp…

hoping to hear from u soon!


BobinOz May 5, 2015 at 2:46 pm
P Smith May 5, 2015 at 10:43 pm


I just wanted to put a quick comment to stress how important it is to work with a MARA registered agent.
It is so easy to get caught up in the excitement and dream of moving to Oz you can easily get carried away and start working with a company that is neither MARA registered or a legit company. I made this mistake!!!! Stay away from Edited out by admin, Edited out by admin, Edited out by admin, Edited out by admin and Edited out by admin. They are all run by the same people.

I was dealing with Edited out by admin who i was put in touch with via Edited out by admin. I paid over £2000 and was promised a visa within 12 months. That was 13 months ago and i still haven’t had a skills assessment logged. It sounds silly to make this mistake but they know what they are talking about and it is easy to get taken in by the rubbish they tell you. I have lost all communication with this company. They took my money and then i found out that my case worker left the company in February and i haven’t heard anything since.

A year later i have no visa and am starting the process all over again by myself.


BobinOz May 6, 2015 at 6:39 pm

Hi P Smith

Firstly, I have to apologise to you. I’m afraid I have had to edit out all of those company names that you have mentioned that you have had, by sounds, a rotten time with.

I would dearly love to leave them intact here for my other readers to see, but if any of these companies decided to sue me, or more likely if all of them did being as they’re owned by the same people, it would be a very bad day for my retirement fund.

I hope you understand.

What you have done though, which I’m sure will act every bit as much as a warning to my readers, is highlight that there are many companies out there that do not do what they say they do. My advice is anybody dealing with one of these larger looking companies with lots of staff must find out the name of the person who is handling their case and then search, using the link in my above article, the MARA database to make sure that that person themselves is MARA registered.

If the person you are dealing with direct is not MARA registered, find someone else.

As you almost certainly already know, I have a MARA agent working with me and I will guarantee you that you can trust him fully. The link to his service is above in the article but who ever you decide to go through the process with all over again, I hope it all works out this time.

Many thanks, Bob


Simon May 9, 2015 at 10:30 pm

Can you recommend a Mara agent that is located in the UK? As far as I can see, Simon Earles, who you recommend, is located in Australia :(


BobinOz May 10, 2015 at 9:09 pm

No Simon, sorry, I can’t. The UK agent we used 8 years ago was very good, but she retired a few years ago. And yes, the agent I do recommend is based here in Australia, but these days everything is done electronically anyway so it’s not so important to try and choose someone who lives in the same country as yourself.


Agnes May 11, 2015 at 6:58 am

Hi Bob,
I am busy with preparing my documents, I want to get visa 189 Migration Skills Assessment
Country of passport:
Visa type (if known):
Occupation (if known):
Dental Technician

I know TRA Recognition Australia requires 3 years work experience after issuing qualification, I have worked as Dental Technician for 7 years (first as a student), but my diploma is issued 2 years ago. Do I have chance to be recognized ? What should I do to get your and your agent help?


BobinOz May 11, 2015 at 11:32 pm

Hi Agnes

My agent could help you with this if you were to go through the Visa Assessment Service and then go on to appoint him to represent you with your application.

How much work experience you have though can often be very difficult to calculate, even MARA agents struggle with it. Sometimes the only people who can actually tell you are the assessing authorities for that skill.

If you look at some of the comments on my page about EOI, lots of people have spoken about how they didn’t get as many years experience as they thought they would.


Agnes May 12, 2015 at 3:43 pm

Hi Bob, you sent to me an email there are 3 links I can not open, could you please send it again ?
only the first one works
Have a good evening,


BobinOz May 12, 2015 at 7:46 pm

Do you mean the comment notification Agnes? Did it say the same thing as the comment above? Not sure why those links weren’t working your end, but they work above if you want to click through.

Thanks, Bob


Agnes May 13, 2015 at 6:46 am

ah, ok:) in my email are more links, but it doesn’t matter than. I will look only here,
Thank you


Sunit May 13, 2015 at 8:09 pm

Hi Bob,
I need to your help in terms of advice, I am a Construction Engineering professional from Mumbai, India, 39 years of age, working with a decent organisation at a comfortable salary, around 60K AUD per anum (if converted to AUD from INR). My wife is an IT professional and also working with a known organisation i.e. Oracle Inc.
We were in Australia last year when my wife got an onsite opportunity to work in Brisbane. And as we were looking ahead to explore the chance to try and settle in Australia, I left my job then and joined her to travel to Brisbane with our 10 year old son. We landed there in Jun-14, we stayed there up to Jan-15, during which my son was studying in the state school there, I was looking for jobs and my wife was the only earning member in our family. After her assignment completed she had a chance to extend her work there, but since I didn’t found any good job opportunity but to work briefly with a small developer, since I didn’t had PR but was there on 458 Visa, we took a call to come back to India.
But were terribly upset to return back since we loved the life there in all respects. Soon we processed my migration case with a consultant, conducted my skill assessment and other formalities for Australian PR and now we have a chance to get a NSW 489 Visa (State sponsorship) since my skill is in demand.
Now the questions comes to our mind where we would need your vital opinion like,
• Is that is it too late at my age to migrate
• Will it be wise to move out when we both are having jobs, our own home and are well settled.
• Will I get a suitable job in NSW even though I don’t have qualification and work experience of Australia, although my skill is in demand.
• Is the market in Australia stable enough even after I am able to get a decent job.
Although I know we need to take certain risk in such matters, I would need your words of opinion on whether should I carry on and make a move or should not think of at this situation.
Kindly give your significant views, I would really appreciate and be glad if you can help us on taking a decision in this regards.
Waiting eagerly for your reply and thank you so much for reading my long letter.

With best regards,


BobinOz May 14, 2015 at 6:32 pm

Hi Sunit

I understand your apprehension, it’s a big decision to come here. Yes, you will need to take risks, but I’m afraid I can’t calculate on your behalf exactly what kind of risks you are taking here.

I don’t know whether you would get a job or not, it’s impossible for me to predict that for anybody. The job market isn’t great at the moment, unemployment is a little higher than usual as at today’s date, but then I have no idea whether your skill is in high demand or not.

All you can do is check out my page called Getting a Job or a Sponsorship and use the links there to search to see what kind of opportunities might be available to you.

All I can answer with some certainty is that you are not too old to make the move, I was 10 years older than you when I came here and I’m having a great time.

Good luck, whatever you decide.



Sheena May 29, 2015 at 8:08 pm

Hi bob..
Plz recommend me mara agent in ludhiana for study visa in austalia..


BobinOz June 1, 2015 at 2:58 pm

I don’t know one in Ludhiana.


Antonia July 10, 2015 at 11:15 am

Hello Bob,
The website is indeed very helpful, but I am stilI not sure about the MARA agent thing.
I am looking to apply for a partner visa, and was wondering if you (or anybody who has undergone this fun visa exercise) can tell me what an agent would take off our shoulders. You mentioned that an agent will ensure everything is logged properly, which sounds like a good start. Would you be able to give us an idea what else is entailed? I’m sure its doable without an agent, but was wondering if its advisable and if we’d stay sane…
Thanks and have great day


BobinOz July 10, 2015 at 4:27 pm

Well, it would be quite impossible for me to list everything an agent does, but the bottom line for me is that these visa applications cost a lot of money; note that I didn’t say visas, I said the application for the visa.

So if you get it wrong, and you apply for a visa you do not qualify for, you will lose the application fee that you paid to the government. These fees can be as much as $3000 or $4000, sometimes much more depending on how many people in your family and the visa type. A good MARA agent has a very high success rate, it’s very rare for a good MARA agent to make a submission that does not get approved.

So more than anything, it’s peace of mind on that one. Also, there are over 130 different kinds of visas available and a MARA agent will know precisely which one would suit you best after looking at your full details, or whether you simply don’t qualify for any of them.

But of course, yes, you can do it yourself, and many people do, at the end of the day it’s entirely up to you. Good luck, Bob


Antonia July 14, 2015 at 6:04 pm

Thank you very much, Bob.That does help.
Cheers, Antonia


na July 30, 2015 at 4:27 pm

Hi Bob

I hope you are doing well.

Nice forum btw! I need a couple of questions answered, if you can help me out.

I currently live in Pakistan and am a Pakistani citizen, I want to apply for Australian PR and I visited a couple of agents. One of them said he is not a MARA agent but a couple of my friend have gotten Australian PR through him. The other agent claims that he is a MARA agent, but what they have actually done is that the actual MARA agent is in another city, and in different cities they have collaborated and different agents from different cities take up immigration cases and send them to the MARA agent who is actually in another city, and they divide the fee paid by the Customers.

Question 1) I want to know which would be better, and safe. There is no registered MARA agent in my city, but some people claim that they are but they actually use the id/MARA number of another agent with whom they collaborate. On the other hand, I have seen 2 people go to Australia through the non MARA agent. Which one should I got for? kindly help m as I have to make a decision fast !

Question 2) How much time will i need to spend physically in Australia to get citizenship. I have asked 3 people and all of them have given me different answers including the agents. Can u please tell me the exact breakdown of the number of days i need to be physically present in Australia to qualify for Australian citizenship?

Question 3) My Parents are old, and they live in Pakistan. if I go to Australia, will they get a visa? something like a Visitors Visa so they can live with me? if yes, then for how long is the Visitors visa granted?

I shall be thankful to you if you can answer the above questions.

Thanks and Regards


BobinOz July 30, 2015 at 6:55 pm

Hi, and welcome. Glad you like my website.

Yes, I am aware that many people claim to be MARA agents but instead are using the ID of a MARA agent based elsewhere and I know that this can become problematic.

Then you have someone there who is not a MARA agent but you know has been successful, but if you do use them and something goes wrong, you don’t really have any comeback. It’s only illegal in Australia for somebody to offer migration advice who isn’t a MARA agent, so the person you know isn’t breaking the law as far as I’m aware.

So, what should you do?

My advice, and obviously you don’t have to take it, is to use a MARA registered migration agent who is based in Australia, you really do not need to use an agent where you live, almost everything is done electronically online these days. That’s the only way I can feel confident that you would be covered. Of course, you can use my agent through my Visa Assessment Service if you wish.

As for your second and third questions, as I’ve already mentioned in this answer to you, it would be illegal for me to advise you because I do live in Australia and I’m not a MARA migration agent. So I just can’t answer you, but once you get talking to a MARA agent, they will be able to answer you in full.

Good luck, Bob


na July 30, 2015 at 7:57 pm

Thank you for your reply Bob – I really appreciate it.

But I wanted to know a rough guess, need not be correct (obviously not anything illegal) – I ask the question because I want to know the amount of time I need to spend in Australia to become a citizen, and as my Parents are old, I cannot leave them for a long time… so I wanted them to travel with me… like they can stay there an year or two, and then we all can come back, and then I can go again for a while,,, keep alternating…

So what I wanted to ask is that is visitor visa granted easily to Parents Whose children are on Australia PR, because if the time to stay in Australia is very long, and if my Parents cannot travel with me, then I would consider not applying because my Parents are my priority and I would not want to get the charm and benefits of another country on the cost of my Parents happiness..


Leave a Comment

If your comment doesn't get answered, find out why.....
FAQs and Comment Policy.