Calculating Your Comfortable Family Income in Australia

How much do you need?

I do get asked some quite strange questions at times, but they are usually one-offs. But this one pops up quite regularly and every time it does, there is never enough information given to me to answer it.

moneyEven with lots of information, it would still be an impossible question to answer, but when the question is something like

I’m moving to Australia next month with my wife and two teenage children, what would be a good salary to ensure a comfortable lifestyle for me and my family?

What chance do I have?

Calculating YOUR comfortable family income

Here’s what I think you need to take into consideration when calculating a comfortable family income for you and your family. You might be able to think of many more.

• Cost of mortgage or rent.
  • Cost of running a car or cars.
  • Cost of food for your family.
  • Cost of utilities; electricity, gas, water and rates.
  • Cost of additional shopping items; clothes, gadgets, health and beauty, jewellery, computers and toys.
  • Cost of insurances, for the home and for private medical insurance.
  • Cost of telephones, both home and mobile.
  • Cost of entertainment items, like holidays, alcohol, digital TV, going out.
  • Cost of unexpected maintenance bills, for your home, for your car and other things that break.

So to answer these sort of questions, you’d have to offer me a lot of information or I’d have to ask you a lot of further questions.

As you can see, it really is an impossible question for me to answer, but you can answer it for yourself.

Check out my page about The Costs of Stuff.

A simple solution.

If you are coming here from the UK though, this works quite well. However much you spend per month over there in pounds, you’ll probably need twice the amount here in Australian dollars. So if you need £4,000 a month in the UK, budget $8,000 a month here.

Sounds stupid doesn’t it? But I bet it wont be far out.

How can I make sure I earn twice as much in AUD as I currently earn in GBP?

Salaries in Australia are higher than those in the UK, by my estimates over 30% higher; click on the third link below under the title “More useful links:” to my post comparing UK and Australian salaries to see how I got to that.

Once your salary is adjusted to Australian dollars and taking into account the high salaries, you will see from the salary comparison charts on that page that it is quite easy to earn double what you earn in pounds in the UK here in Australian dollars.

Check it out for yourself, and I’ve even updated that post with a 2012 version, you’ll see a link to it from the original post.

More useful links:

My report about The Cost of Living “Comfortably” in Australia

My entire category on the Cost of Living in Australia.

My posts about jobs and salaries:

It's good to share...Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on Google+1Share on Reddit0Pin on Pinterest1Share on StumbleUpon0
  • Laura May 24, 2017, 1:19 am | Link

Your site has really helped me learn about moving to Australia. I have been searching the web loads over the last few weeks to try to find a ball park figure of what the monthly bills would cost.

I am currently in talks with a company about potentially moving over to Griffth NSW. My salary would range from $70000 to $90000 basic plus commision. Looking at the rent I think we are budgeting for around $300 a week as it seems to get you a half decent 2/3 bed there for us to see how living there goes. We would be renting out our property in the UK.

I have been trying to find info on rates and utilities and I think I have sussed the rates ($1400ish a year for Griffith) but struggling to find out anything to do with gas, electric and water charges.

Have you any idea what a suburban town in NSW would average at? Or can you point me in th right direction to anyone that can?

Thanks a lot

Laura

• Lucy May 13, 2017, 12:22 am | Link

I live in Angola, Africa and my best friend and I want to move oversees and we are thinking Australia as an option.
    We currently moving in the country´s capital Luanda which is considered to be the most expensive city in the world second to Hong Kong, (if not mistaken). So not only living here it´s expensive and but also health care is not great, nor is education unless you have someone to sponsor you to study overboard or you get a scholarship. However despite all of that almost everybody here as an entrepreneur mentality, that is how most people get by. If you have a steady Job, most people don´t simply rely on their salary they do a “business´´ aside. My friend and I have had the opportunity to study oversees, she studied in Portugal and South Africa i had my education in the USA. So there is a saying here that if you can make in Luanda you can make it anywhere. So we are thinking of migrating to Australia and to live there as permanent residents. We want to apply for the PR visa together and rent a place together so that we can share the expenses since we don´t know anybody there. What do you think are our chances of getting a PR visa? My friend has bachelor degree in as a Biochemistry and I although i don´t have a degree of any kind i I do have lots of experience working with children and currently i work at a travel agency, but i don intend on pursuing a career in the beauty industry, which i already have taken some courses here and i´m practicing the field on my off hours. i want to know if there´s any chance of us obtaining this visa. i have a house here and would rent out the house to help with the expenses in Australia. what is the advice you have for us.

• lucy May 13, 2017, 12:25 am | Link

Sorry i meant to say i currently live in Angola, Luanda. We are from Angola and live in Luanda and want to move to Australia.

• BobinOz May 15, 2017, 5:13 pm | Link

Lucy, your question is way off topic for this page which is about estimating a comfortable family income to live in Australia, it’s not about visas.

I do have lots of pages about visas though, but I don’t ever comment on anybody’s chances of qualifying for one, only MARA registered migration agents can accurately do that. See Would I Qualify? for more information about that.

• Lucy May 15, 2017, 8:31 pm | Link

Bob,
          thanks for your honest answer. I also have one question for you. How do Australians treatment towards black people? Are there many black people in Australia?

• Tarun May 19, 2017, 4:38 am | Link

My wife recently got a offer from Syndey and they are paying 10 k AUD p.m and Accomodation is company paid.
          So will we able to survive with this salary..We have in total of 3 members

• BobinOz May 19, 2017, 7:35 pm | Link

Yes, being as you have your accommodation all paid for, I think you will be just fine. In Sydney it’s the housing costs that can be crippling, but you won’t have any. $120,000 per year is a pretty decent salary here, so I think you’ll enjoy a reasonably good standard of living. Good luck, Bob

• Ashok May 5, 2017, 8:21 pm | Link

My PR is nominated by SA and my visa doesn’t carries any conditions. So I decided to start up in Bendigo, Victoria. But I wanted to know if I will face any problem in bank account opening, Centerlink and Medicare registration in different state than the nominated state?

• Mark May 6, 2017, 8:09 am | Link

If when you say its nominated by SA then yes you could face far bigger problems than you have mentioned . I am no expert, for that you would need a Mara agent. Its my belief if nominated by the state you will need to show them you.
      1 Live in the State
      2 Work in the profession you was nominated in and this has to be for a certain period of time.
      I would suggest you have a look on the SA website http://www.migration.sa.gov.au.
      The conditions may not be written on the visa but that does not mean there are not any, All the nominated states work differently but in Victoria they will email asking for details and even other items to check that you are in the profession you nominated for and you are living in the state and other things. .From my understanding if I was you and as you suggest you are already set up that will be difficult but I’d be looking for a house and job in SA rather sharpish and then asking SA what they need in return for your nomination…
      You may have heard this last week of the Australian being held by USA border for 90 minutes overstay… that wasn’t exactly correct…He was not keeping in the ‘spirit’ of the visa that was issued to him. Nothing really to do with the 90 minutes. That was just press making it a story line. He was using a visitor Visa as a sort of long term residence visa in USA …Not what the visa was intended for. Now I know its a different country but I think Australia;s SA would say your visa was intended for you to become part of the SA community if you follow…Keeping in the ‘spirit’ the visa was issued for. I personally feel you may be putting your whole visa in jeopardy. I am not even sure as you mention below a job, if the potential employer may be in any trouble. You may however be able to ask Vic to pick up the nomination but as I say I am no expert, you may need a MARA agent or even a Lawyer. .

• Ashok May 6, 2017, 3:54 pm | Link

Hi Mark

Thanks for your response. It sounds alarming but my intention was not to spoil the spirit of the visa provided but to enter Australia with a job instead of coming there and struggling to find a job. I agree in other way that they issued the visa so I need to keep my commitment with them. It’s a tough decision to take especially when I have applied 200+ jobs in SA which are not successful whereas I have a job in hand with pretty good wage considering the location. MARA agent’s response was diplomatic stating I may start in other state but I should reconsider later to return to the state nominated. I’m really confused now with my situation and trying all my sources to know
        More details about this. Final thing I will do is to inform department and request for their opinion before I decide anything. Kindly share some more info if you got

• Mark May 6, 2017, 7:58 pm | Link

I did say it was perhaps difficult a situation…. I hope its not for you…. perhaps asking the department is best but I am a little perplexed by the MARA agent…bit sitting on the fence answer. I have found since being here there are rules but many times no one knows what to enforce or the like…I hope it works out for you, as you say and Ive heard elsewhere jobs are not so easy in SA. Good Luck

• Ashok May 6, 2017, 9:15 pm | Link

Thanks Mark for consoling response and hoping it will work out for me without any issues. I’m just concerned with current reforms the government is taking on Expat Visas. I will be in touch with department early next week and get their final opinion before I book my ticket. Hoping others who see this thread can throw some light as well

• BobinOz May 8, 2017, 6:15 pm | Link

I think the answer to this question is pretty straightforward, the information is clear to see on the government’s website if you look up the details about the 190 visa. If you look at the ‘about this visa’ page and then under the heading ‘Nomination by a state or territory government’ you will find the terms and conditions that apply to your visa and the top two are ‘live in the nominating state or territory for a specified minimum time’ and ‘tell the state or territory your address, both before and after you arrive in Australia.’

So I think it’s pretty clear that if you locate in Victoria you will be in breach of the terms under which your visa was issued, but what the consequences of doing that are I don’t know and I’m not sure anybody will give you a clear answer on that one.

Hope that helps and good luck, Bob

• Ashok April 14, 2017, 9:20 pm | Link

Hi Bob n all

I have been offered a job in Bendigo with a package of 90k$ + Super. Will it be enough to survive there with my wife and 2 years kid?

• Mark April 15, 2017, 9:03 am | Link

I have no idea about living in Bendigo but I imagine rental of houses and in general costs will be a lost less than Melbourne On that basis you will be fine…

• Ashok April 15, 2017, 11:56 pm | Link

Thanks Mark! Good to know the rents are
        Lower than Melbourne. Hoping it will be a nicer place for start-up..

Regards
        Ashok

• BobinOz April 17, 2017, 9:41 pm | Link

Yes, I would think that 90k is a pretty good wage to be earning in the small town like that, so I think you will be okay as well. You can check the costs of housing through my page Cost of Buying or Renting a House in Australia.

• Ashok April 17, 2017, 11:07 pm | Link

That’s great to hear Bob! I’ll take things ahead with them. Please do let me know if you have any more info about living in Bendigo

• Bunny April 7, 2017, 5:01 pm | Link

Hwy bob, hope u r doing fine! I would like to know that i am planning to visit my husband on tourist visa by June. So my question is can my parents-in-laws sponsor me for my whole trip as a gift. Also how much funds do i need to show in my account for the trip. M working right now and i have my salary slips and tax returns with me. Can u plz suggest that how muxh funds should be in my account and if my in-laws can sponsor me for the trip or not.

• BobinOz April 7, 2017, 9:12 pm | Link

No, I’m afraid I can’t answer these questions. These are specific questions about visas and eligibility and I am not able to answer those, only MARA registered migration agents can help with that. See Would I Qualify?

• vaibhav April 3, 2017, 7:35 pm | Link

hi bob,
    I have been offered a salary of AUD 120,000 p.a. from a company in sydney. Would it be sufficient to support the family of 3 people? Its just me, my wife and a kid who is in kindergarten.

• BobinOz April 4, 2017, 9:38 pm | Link

It’s a good salary, much higher than the Australian average, but Sydney is an expensive city particularly for accommodation. Just keep your rental/mortgage costs under control as well as transport costs and I’m sure you will be fine.

Bear in mind though that everyone’s budget is different, so it’s probably a good idea to work out yours with help from my page called The Cost of Living in Australia of Everything.

• Nathan April 2, 2017, 7:02 am | Link

I am a single person. Soon to live in WA (Kimberly region). Fully furnished Accommodation with telephone and internet services. Fully maintained vehicle. 4 Weeks Leave plus Travel Allowance. 3 Weeks remote leave plus Travel Allowance. Yes, I know if I can survive on this then there is something seriously wrong but I’m really looking at saving as much as I can also. I’m hopeless with money. Any advice?

• BobinOz April 4, 2017, 6:51 pm | Link

Well, difficult to advise, you haven’t said what your salary will be Nathan 🙂

The Kimberley region is supposed to be absolutely beautiful, a must see destination for tourists. Very remote though, I can’t imagine there is too much to do up there or to spend your money on. So I reckon with all those allowances you should be able to save a huge chunk of your income.

• Mango March 29, 2017, 7:36 am | Link

I got an offer for a job in Sydney.
    It base salary will be ~215K. We have a baby 9 months old.
    We will have to migrate to Sydney Australia, so I’m a little bit afraid that after taxes the total income of my job won’t be enough.
    We are not looking for expensive car or renting expensive house, but we would like to live in a good place and enjoy our time. Maybe even save some money ( as we are doing today in our country)
    What do you think?

Thanks a lot

• Jam March 29, 2017, 1:48 pm | Link

A salary of 215k should give you just over $11,600 per month after tax. Mind if I ask you what industry you are in?

• BobinOz March 30, 2017, 12:17 am | Link

Quite a few people tell me what salary they are going to get when they come to Australia, 215k is the highest I’ve heard so far. It’s a fantastic salary, no wonder Jam wants to know what industry you are in 🙂

Crikey Mango, if you can’t survive and do well on that, even in Sydney, then there is no hope for any of us. In other words, I think you will be fine.

• Mango March 30, 2017, 2:32 am | Link

Thanks a lot.
          It is Cyber/Security senior role.

• Mark March 30, 2017, 9:49 am | Link

I am assuming that’s AU dollars at 215..OK well you will have to cut down on the all night parties the limo rentals and the luxury yacht may have to go as you may struggle with the upkeep but apart from that you should manage OK

• Fawad March 7, 2017, 1:13 pm | Link

Hi Mark, I am an IT Professional I have been offered a salary of 54000. Im from pakistan, I have a wife and two kids, would this be ok for Perth?

• Mark March 7, 2017, 3:29 pm | Link

Personally No I cant see many surviving on that even if you was as frugal as anything..I dont live in Perth but id be amazed if anyone who does come along from there and says different

• BobinOz March 7, 2017, 8:56 pm | Link

Yes, I also think that $54k a year would make it very difficult to get by, but I think some people do. There was a really interesting comment made by somebody calling themselves ‘Heythere’ and somebody called Elsie, amongst others, responded.

It’s an interesting conversation and just shows you how differently people view things and can budget when they need to. You can read the conversation here.

• 7402 March 2, 2017, 12:27 am | Link

Hi! Bob

I am from Malaysia.. Have been offered a job package 90k per annum in Melbourne.. Could not make up my mind whether this will be sufficient for a family of 4. Have 2 kids doing primary school..

Understand that rental is on the high side in Melbourne.

Would like your advise will we be able to survive comfortably with 90k..ink on this is very subjective but base on your experience and with so many readers telling writing to you.. What is your thoughts.. Thanks

• Mark March 2, 2017, 6:53 am | Link

You dont say where in Melbourne so I assume for now CBD…Yes you will survive on your salary I am sure if you are a little cautious but it also depends what funds you are bringing with you eg will you buy a car have one provided use public transport and so on. the less that will eat away at your 90k the better..If you can rent for around 2500 a month, have a look on realestate.com.au allow about 700 800 for bills that woud likely see around 2000 2500 for living

• 7402 March 2, 2017, 3:56 pm | Link

Hi! Mark.. Thanks for the feedback.. My company is at the Eastern Suburbs.. Will probably need a car as the public transport there is pretty inconvenience.. Rental I am budgeting around 1600/mth.. hopefully can find something

• Mark March 3, 2017, 6:19 am | Link

Ok well yes you will something for 1600 you may have to stretch to 1800 depends what your looking for if you dint mind a commute and depends how far south as well as East have a look down anywhere linked off the freeways… The Monash M1 can move slow when getting close to the city but if you was in say Scoresby youd be fine Officer has more house being built than you can shale a stick at means more options

• Syed February 17, 2017, 4:44 am | Link

I hope you are doing good. First of all thank you for your advice, very helpful. Could you please help me to answer my query.
    I am planning to Migrate Australia Sydney on visa (190/489) with my Family (wife and 2 children) so need to know how good I should earn to survive with my family in Sydney and what will be average salary I can get in Sydney as I am IT Professional holding 7 years of Exp.

Waiting for your response..

Syed…

• BobinOz February 17, 2017, 9:08 pm | Link

I couldn’t put a number on it for you Syed, it would be impossible for me to attempt to do so. Sydney housing prices are skyhigh, so much depends on what your accommodation costs will be.

All I can suggest is you work out a thorough budget using my page The Cost of Living in Australia of Everything to help you.

• Sumit February 9, 2017, 9:10 pm | Link

I am an Indian IT professional with around 5 years experience . Recently I have got job in Sydney on Visa type -457 with an annual salary of 100k AUD. I am a bachelor and will be moving soon to Australia(next month). Wondering that salary is fine for me to sustain in an expensive city like Sydney.

Regards,
    Sumit

• BobinOz February 10, 2017, 6:55 pm | Link

Yes, I should think so, that’s a pretty good salary. Accommodation will be your biggest expense I would think, but as it’s only you, a small apartment or maybe even sharing a house will keep those costs down.

I think you’ll be fine. Good luck, Bob

• John February 5, 2017, 2:00 am | Link

Do you think my wife and I would be able to survive on a salary of $70k pa in Adelaide? This is assuming we went over on my visa and she was unable to find work (which is looking very difficult at the moment). We would be OK with living an inexpensive lifestyle until she could find work, but that could take many months.

Thanks,
    John

• Mark February 5, 2017, 7:00 am | Link

If there is just you and your wife no children then id say so. I’m with all the lack of jobs comments in various cities but I also think jobs are still available. This of course depends on how picky you are and flexible. Its also not considering you bringing anything with you so will you have a lot to pay out for? Or are you bringing things or have that covered with the finances your bringing…Its nice to have a fall back so to speak….I still believe Australia is a land of opportunity and if your writing from the UK you should be happier here…Adelaide I cant comment on save houses are cheaper there than say Sydney or Melbourne At least you would be in the country. Is it a 457, there are some reports of spouses struggling with employers taking a look at applications but again I cant see that across the board.

• John February 5, 2017, 6:11 pm | Link

Thanks for the response Mark. Yes it’s just my wife and I, no kids. And yes it would be a 457 visa.

• BobinOz February 5, 2017, 9:18 pm | Link

Yes, I agree with Mark. I’m pretty sure you’ll be okay on the $70k and if your wife manages to get a job, even part-time, it will be the icing on the cake.

The biggest complaint about Adelaide seems to be the difficulty in finding work, so if you have a job to go to, as it sounds like you have, then that’s more than half the battle.

• LJL February 2, 2017, 7:35 am | Link

Great site. Impossible question I know but just looking for a gut feeling from yourself.

Would I be able to support my wife and two young children on a single salary of approx 100k per annum in Brisbane (looking at Carina/Carandale/morningside areas). Wife and I lived in Bulimba over 6 years ago but this area will probably be out of our price range now. We will only be running one car and only 1 child will be going to school for first couple of years.

I’m on approx 40k in Bristol at the mo and wife earns around 8k part time and we live comfortably enough.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Lee.

• Mark February 2, 2017, 11:16 am | Link

With the GBP AU % rate the way it is youd be earning around 60k sterling thats an aside as it pointless in those terms but Id say your answer is Easily Try and buy a house instead of renting, its dead money, Im on a decent salary so is my wife but we haven’t touched mine (paid in UK still) in nearly 11 months. waiting for Pound to recover …It might be a long long wait. Anyway shop sensibly grab the offers…We run 2 cars (support a classic and are looking at a boat) with two children in Melbourne on a bit more than that and still live well and not touching my salary

• LJL February 2, 2017, 5:08 pm | Link

Top man Mark, thanks for the reply.

We have quite a bit of equity in our UK home so would look at buying but just a bit wary of the exchange rate at the mo…would it be best to sell the UK house and rent in aid initially and see if pound gets stronger or just bite the bullet?

• Mark February 2, 2017, 7:39 pm | Link

Im no expert on this We have met folk out here who came out in 2011 I think they exchanged at 1.48 I think they said certainly 1.50 ball park…As I said I haven’t touched my salary but Im not really sure why getting. We bought I wanted to sell our home as it makes it too easy to go back if you have a bad day and you probably will have one.(mine was when my little girl climbed in her suitcase and shut the lid) ..OUCH Here in Melbourne our house even allowing for me being a silly homeowner has easily gone up $80K in one year I’m told, eg likely anything you buy will,rise of course as long as not paying over the odds (realtor battle of wits) I have really no idea but I cant see the £ coming strong for a while..so all you will be doing is lining a landlords pocket on a gamble. Plus likely devaluing your nice home with tenants who can be great, awesome even but somehow never quite look after the place as you would..Plus the mad UK build program at present .That’s I think all your equation The other thing here and do the maths is you can easily end up paying $2000 $2400 in rental plus bills whereas a mortgage will likely be less. Finally rentals are not your own I know that is obvious but needs reminding. you know you will have an extra move…Dont get me wrong you will need somewhere to live but keep it short would be my view…The man himself is well versed on Brisbane and hopefully will be along soon.

• BobinOz February 2, 2017, 9:11 pm | Link

$100k is a pretty good salary, so yes, you will be able to get by here in Brisbane on that, plenty of people do. You will though, as Mark has intimated, need to try and keep your accommodation costs down and that’s very much key to it.

Fortunately, housing here in Brisbane is much cheaper than it is in say Sydney and Melbourne, but as you have rightly pointed out, Bulimba is now quite trendy and expensive suburb, so you will probably need to look elsewhere.

We still have quite a few suburbs, good ones as well, where you can buy a four bedroom detached house with a double garage for $500k, where I live they start at $450k. So yes, I’m very confident you will be fine, you won’t be rich but you will definitely get by. Lots of the great things you can do here are free, like go to the beach, enjoy the national parks, fire up the barbie in the back garden.

Give it a go if you can, I think you’ll find you will have a better quality of life here then you have at the moment.

• LJL February 3, 2017, 12:11 am | Link

Bob/Mark, thank you.

Bob, what suburbs would you recommend for a young family? Need to be near to shops and main amenities but not fussed on being too close to CBD. Safe, friendly with good schools is highest on list and as long as I can have easyish access to motorway or routes to CBD that would be ideal. Bulimba was ideal for us but as explained previously, priced out of that area at present.

• BobinOz February 3, 2017, 4:37 pm | Link

Have a look at my main page about Brisbane and in particular the comments, there is a lot of chatter about the pros and cons of the various suburbs in and around Brisbane. That should help you narrow down your search.

• LJL February 3, 2017, 4:34 am | Link

Mark,

When you looked at houses did you base on what you could afford in UK or did it totally change once you were there? I am asking as I would like to do more research on realistic priced houses. My house is currently worth approx £300k in UK which works out roughly $490k….would I be looking at that as a budget?

• Mark February 3, 2017, 6:36 am | Link

As a rough guide yes Lee thats the way to look at it. I was planning on buying outright here but we decided to keep a lump of money back. We sold in UK at 450 (900$ when we came) equity was high …My wife had found houses 650$ equivalent to our UK home but Aussie bigger versions in say Point Cook, Melbourne on the net ….Mortgage free me thinks to that. . Many of you will have been here….We arrive and Point Cook went off my list when we looked…Then we looked elsewhere now we are looking at 700 750 Next we found one at 900$ plus (thats just the way its done here The realtor is only guessing so puts plus) We have moved areas now significanty and 650 will get me (your kidding) Then we find a place at $940 plus but $950 should secure it. Great …I use the word should as despite holding off and holding off 960 was the yes they were originally looking to top the 1million$ So for yet another £5000 (950 to 960 we had our home and kids settled…..So yes it did change 310$ or £155k more than planned beacuse something else was found Its ours Im not paying rent and so on. Here you can get a mortgage for 30 years even if your 550 55 I still wanted to keep some money back as back up and a decent lump at that I was lucky enough to have that luxury so get yourself an offset mortgage here, use a decent broker I am friends with a Bank senior (head of IT) here who gave me that advice, sure its his bank but the broker got a better rate. The euity is teh key as thats yiur deposit Now dont panic on my figures as Bob will tell you Melbourne is ‘mad’ They put a house up for sale here board out on the Thursday or Friday (cant remember) before Christmas Its sold Christmas eve, 2 days at most. Have a look on realestate.com.au Brisbane im told s far more sensible and prices will not be as bad…Finally one other tip, read my post on bringing cars on here and even your TV, bring what you can. Thin stuff out fine, if you dont want things. Bring what you can save maybe lawnmower garden tools or scrub till the paints comes off (customs officer frown at mucky stuff )

• BobinOz February 3, 2017, 6:15 pm | Link

Yes, as Mark says, prices are way more sensible here in Brisbane. You will definitely be at the lower end of the market at $490k, but that will secure you a four bedroom detached house in some suburbs.

If you can put yourself into the $550 – $650k bracket though you will give yourself a much better choice. See Cost of Buying or Renting a House in Australia.

• SAM January 14, 2017, 5:01 pm | Link

Hii bob your comments are very helpful..I am planning to move to sydney later this year with my wife and kid 4 years old on PR..I was wondering how much do I need to carry with myself initially and how much is the avg monthly expenditure for a family of 3 over there

• BobinOz January 15, 2017, 6:44 pm | Link

Not a question I can answer accurately Sam, there is no average monthly expenditure, simply because your biggest expense will be your accommodation and that could vary from $500 per week to $2000 per week or even more.

Every family is different with their needs. My page The Cost of Living in Australia of Everything will help you work out a budget that will suit your family.

• Abu Hazim January 1, 2017, 2:23 am | Link

I have been working as a QA QC Manager in construction industry in UAE and have got immigration visa for Adelaide Australia, we are a family of 5 with two teenagers School going and one special child. What would be cost of living there? How much salary I can expect if I get a job in the same field.

Looking for your kind advice.

Regards

Abu Hazim,
    Abu Dhabi
    UAE.

• BobinOz January 2, 2017, 6:02 pm | Link

Well, it would be impossible for me to give you precise answers here, but I can tell you that Adelaide is one of our cheapest major cities to live in, but that’s where the good news ends. It is also very difficult to find work there, so it’s not so much a case of how much can you expect to earn in your field, it’s more a case of would you actually get a job at all?

If you read the comments on my main page about Adelaide, you will see what I mean. Good luck, Bob

• Bernardo December 24, 2016, 9:12 pm | Link

Hi Bob! I just found your blog and it looks really interesting! Thank you for sharing all that info! I have been offered a job in Australia and with my girlfriend we are taking into consideration the possibility of moving to Melbourne.

I’ve been offered 85k AUD per year as a 3d graphic which looks like a good starting salary. My girlfriend should have to find a job too. She’s in HR and training field and we saw that she could find a job with a similar salary in Melbourne.

Question is: do you think 2 such salaries are good to live in Melbourne?

We are also checking how it is to have kids in Australia. In case my girlfriend would have the unpaid leave, do you think my 85k AUD would be enough to have a decent lifestyle with a small kid?

Thank you in advance for any help and sorry in case I missed some article from your blog that could answer my questions!

Bernardo

• BobinOz December 28, 2016, 9:13 pm | Link

Congratulations on that job offer, sounds exciting.

Melbourne is our second most expensive city, so housing isn’t cheap. How much you pay for accommodation whether you are renting or buying is key to answering this question. You can research that on my page Cost of Buying or Renting a House in Australia.

That said, with both of you working and no children you would be able to live quite comfortably on 2x 85k ish, but with just one salary and a baby to bring up, your budget would need to be much tighter. I think you could still get by, I know plenty of people do, but that’s when keeping your accommodation costs down becomes much more crucial.

Hope that helps and good luck with your plans, Bob

• Bernardo December 29, 2016, 1:01 am | Link

Thank you Bob! I will have a look at the link you gave me. I heard that having a baby in Australia is quite expensive, especially regarding the parental leave (which is paid only the national minimum wage) and the cost of things such as kinder garden… However I think I am going a bit OT, so maybe I will ask about this in a more proper topic! 🙂

Bye for now!

• BobinOz December 29, 2016, 9:58 pm | Link

Having a baby in most western countries is quite expensive, how Australia compares I’m really not sure as I haven’t looked into it fully.

I know somebody who has though, you will find a link to their website from my article about them here…

Given your plans, I should think it’s well worth you taking a look.

• Bernardo December 30, 2016, 8:28 am | Link

Thank you again for your precious help Bob!

• Bhooshan Kulkarni December 2, 2016, 7:34 pm | Link

Before coming to Australia, I went through your website for information and was really helpful, I came to Melbourne directly and I didn’t know that it is such a beautiful city, and I was offered 90K a year when I joined back in sept 2015 and I really worked hard the past year and I just had my review recently and was given a record raise of 10% and an excellent feedback, now I earn 100K a year and I like Melbourne, the next thing would be to buy a house here.

• BobinOz December 2, 2016, 8:58 pm | Link

Absolutely wonderful! Comments like this make my day, thank you. And congratulations, I’m really pleased the move has worked out for you and you have obviously worked hard. I hope you enjoy the Melbourne and Australia for many more years to come.

• Mae November 13, 2016, 12:15 am | Link

Hi Bob!
    My husband has been offered a salary in the $140 Au range. My concern is how much is left after taxes?! We do have kids but one is in boarding school (because of the potential move and it is pricey 🙁 ) and the other at university, so I’m not sure how claiming the children work? Also, is there any tax relief /exchange agreement between Aussieland and the UK? The contract is starting with two years which is also frightening as its such a big move with no securities . What are the standard expat packages that should come with a move ,i.e house, travel expenses (extending to more than once a year,etc?)
    I would really love to move there but have to consider our current financial commitments along with extra costs and taxes. Any advice you help! Thank you for your time and consideration! (The job would be in NSW)

• Mark November 13, 2016, 8:59 am | Link

Hi Mae This is a complicated question. The easy answer is you should be OK. The harder answer is
      1 There is a tax calculator on the net and Bob has a page I am sure you can use but 140k will net down to around 11650.00 a month and tax will be about 3300 a month leaving about 8350 plus or minus any variables eg a company car would be a deduction whilst a rental car travelling to a non normal place of work you could claim for. There is medical insurance to consider but you have 12 + months grace so to speak but take out a UK travel cover for 12 months to be safe.
      2 You don’t get taxed twice if you are sending money back to UK there is a convention between the two countries..I say that as your last lines then suggest you are keeping a lot in UK even your house etc maybe even you.
      3 As for what are the standard expat packages I am not sure such a standard exists. I work for a massive and well known Music TV Film company I happened to mention to my boss over lunch my wife was looking at jobs in Australia, He phoned me later that evening spoke to her and said Good luck and “Tell Mark to go and look after down under for us” “He can work out there”. (shortened version of call) They paid one month car hire in UK, removal costs, including my wife;s car (we sold our house and my car) they paid flights for the family (2 children) then rental car here and rental property hotels etc. They are even now just paying for my other car a classic to come out. they even paid the children’s first year at school books pens etc. We bought a company property, stayed in that and have since bought our own house. I was and always have been well treated but its argued our industry has money to burn.. I imagine flights removal costs and a period of car rental and accommodation here as a minimum..You could say what is reasonable and expenses above if he had stayed in the UK . so removal costs, flights anything like that etc etc … We had industry contacts out here that had worked for us to help me. I’m sure your husbands new outfit will be more than happy to advise. .
      4 I am assuming your husbands is a simple one Paid in Au$ and pay tax in Au$ I say that as I am paid in UK and use the UK AU double taxation convention. Thats more complicated…So when he leaves UK he can claim overpaid tax assuming he is PAYE and coded you will get a overpaid refund. similarly if he starts here on a similar PAYG basis at the Tax year end in June you can claim a refund of overpay… Eg he will have only worked part of the tax year, possibly,
      5 Child at University Not sure of the relevance I’m assuming they are staying in UK and would likely need their own visa for here. Child at boarding school, not sure do you mean claiming for tax purposes. You’d need a savvy accountant for that, I just asked our company one for advice, but you would probably be better of bringing the child, they go to school here depends on many factors. Id say education is better here certainly from around 11 12 years onward.
      Your last paragraphs I’m not sure what you are asking Make the move, its worth it but jettison what commitments you can in UK its too easy to go back. Your nether in one or the other I was like that for years with USA. Before the age of the internet communications etc I travelled beyond belief now I am able to stay put far more, even my boss is jealous of me as now he has family he is getting fed up of flying. You mention security. No one has infinite security anymore but at least you ‘have lived’ and can say I’ve lived in Australia. I’m sure Bob and others will add anything I’ve missed.

• Mae November 13, 2016, 8:39 pm | Link

Hi Mark,
        Sounds like I’d make a better salary than my husband then (he’s in academia and if I continued in my line of work multi media writer/Producer?)… if I found a job or wanted one. I guess I will ask him if I can get a work visa through his contract to start? We lived in Switzerland and things were rather complicated (when it came to permits for the spouse). Yes, we have a mortgage elsewhere so that will whittle down his pay as well as the boarding school (£30k) and, a transfer from our child’s school is not an option, as he is at the very important GCSE level. In regards to insurance and visas , if the children are over twice a year would we; need insurance for them ; need visas for them (or would they land as visitors?!). What I’m mainly asking and mostly concerned about is what my husband should try negotiate for (dare he ask for more 150-180k) or is the original offer quite reasonable? Also after two years (and if they offer and extension or permanent position) does one have to leave the country and wait for the new visa? This is standard, I think, in the US.

• Mark November 13, 2016, 10:49 pm | Link

Hi Mae Its a wrap on the knuckles or worse for anyone other than a MARA agent to give advice on Visas here and in my profession (whilst I work for who I do its not my profession ) I have have to be squeaky clean. I also would not want to compromise Bob’s site What I can say its not as difficult (nowhere near) as Switzerland.. (All the permits B C and cantonal courts etc is a farce of bizarre proportions) .Its likely if your husband is here you would be able to work. Once the children reach an age then they will have to apply themselves to stay, If you are thinking of staying out here you need to look at the rules for children, their ages…They can visit on visas, even a visitor needs a visa but its limited stay and return etc etc and depends on how long you want them to stay…but there is all sorts of other ways for them to come out …Once the youngest passes the grades then I assume college or Uni in UK, I’d seriously consider if your planning staying here even if in last year at high school bringing them, sit the exams here, college here Uni …it depends on the age exactly but school years start in January so they could get another year in nearly. 30K some 50Au dollars would get you a cracking school if they can handle missing friends,,,
          Well insurance is up to you but its not expensive in the great scheme of this.
          I’ve no idea should he ask for more only he can tell whether that feels right, is he a lecturer or researcher? You could try looking for jobs here in the field, see what the pay is, Its a bigger picture e/g what else are they paying for.. It also depends on what your husband is on now. no need to disclose but Ill put money on it its more here than he earns UK. .Again staying after 2 years is back to the visa advice. what I can say is its probably more sensible than USA. I was born in England but moved to USA in the 70’s I had US citizenship by the time I was 6 or 7 so have two passports, heading for three and a whole heap more tax issues but I have no idea how hard a continuation of a visa is.. but it will be achievable. I’m actually qualified in a completely different field to TV music film production etc but I am employed out here to sort of cover all bases from making the coffee signing off contracts, franchising to chasing royalties. I still work on London and LA things where our offices are so if your field, multimedia is strong TV bias or anywhere related to TV I can say or find out what an average salary is for you. I’m assuming your producing, writing, shooting and editing or ? . My salary did not go up much when I came here but \I am well looked after. I’ve been with them since 94…seems a lifetime. My wife was actually our lead for the visa. hope this helps…

• Mae November 16, 2016, 6:55 am | Link

Thanks Mark!

I really appreciate the advice! He does have to choose between a few postions (US vs NSW, at this point because the UK salary is a bit of a joke, especially with the serious rise in house prices!) So we will try for as much as possible and take it from there.
            Thanks again! 🙂

• Jas November 2, 2016, 8:53 pm | Link

Bob,

You have a great website. I read it while I was waiting for my visa and I am glad to report I have been granted my partner visa and arrive in Australia in January.

I am a junior lawyer here in Canada and managed to lock down a position before my arrival for $80k + 7k for super. I am hoping 80k a year will be a good start but only way to find out is get stuck in. My partner is on 75k so I am hoping our combined salary will allow us to live decently.

• BobinOz November 3, 2016, 7:15 pm | Link

Hi Jas,

Firstly, congratulations on securing your visas! I know you are not here yet, but may I be one of the first to welcome you to Australia.

I’m not sure which city you are going to, but with two of you, and what sounds like no kids, I think you will have pretty good lifestyle with your combined incomes.

Sydney is easily our most expensive city, followed by Melbourne, but even if you are going to one of those two places I still think you will have enough money. If you’re going to any other city, I think you will have a very comfortable lifestyle. Good luck with your move, Bob

• Veronica October 15, 2016, 7:37 am | Link

This is great information, thanks for posting! As a Canadian, looking at postdoctoral opportunities in Australia seemed enticing with the fantastic salaries that are being offered there above all else (in the US, they offer an unlivable amount). I thought they were too good to be true, but based on what I’ve read here $80,000AUD is a good salary.

I have a PhD in coral reef molecular microbiology, and my husband is a carpenter. Aside from the Great Barrier Reef area, would you be able to recommend the best places which might be in greatest need of either? We’d love to experience that beautiful country of yours!

• BobinOz October 17, 2016, 5:19 pm | Link

Glad you like my website Veronica, but gosh, no, I’m not sure I even know what molecular microbiology is 🙂

My best suggestion to you would be to search using the links on my page called Getting a Job or a Sponsorship for the kinds of jobs oath you and your husband would like to do here to see which cities or areas offer you the best opportunities for that.

Good luck with your plans, Bob

• Joemon joy September 17, 2016, 6:28 pm | Link

Sir
    My wife working as staff nurse (BSc) in kuwait medical college in ICU for 8 years, can we migrate to Australia under skilled labour category

Regards

Joemon joy

• Nilesh September 16, 2016, 12:57 am | Link

I am aged 45 years is an HR professional with 20 years of HR experience in software industry and my wife is a primary teacher with 8 years of work ex and daughter 11 years of age are planing to come to Australia primarily to work. My current annual package in India works out to be AUD 45000/- I want to apply for job in Australia and trying to understand the market scenario in Australia. Can you please guide. I am open for field change as well like Public Relations, HRBP etc Regards Nilesh

• Kedar September 7, 2016, 4:46 am | Link

I am currently working as a manager in Big 4 consulting firm in India with salary package of approx. AUD 55,000 per year. I have one job offer from Indian company for AUD 69,000 per year. I have total experience of 10 years in Information/ Cyber Security. My wife is doctor ( Dermatologist ) and she earns approx. AUD 16,000 per year.

I am also trying to get internal transfer via my existing firm to Sydney. With 10 years of experience in Info. Sec.; working as a Manager in Big 4 consulting firm, appreciate if you could help me in estimating how much is the salary that I can expect in Sydney.

I will be coming with my wife and new born baby. Wife may not get job immediately, so for at least 1 year I will be sole earning person in family.

Regards
    Kedar

• BobinOz September 7, 2016, 4:34 pm | Link

If you check my page called Getting a Job or a Sponsorship, you will find there is a link within it underneath a heading about how much money you can expect to earn.

You can look up average salaries in Australia for various occupations by clicking through to that website. Hope that helps, Bob

• Terry September 6, 2016, 10:25 pm | Link

Hi, I have a possible job lined up in Melbourne but im not sure what Salary will be enough to live on (which could decide if I accept or reject the job). There is me and my wife, I will get a car with the job, my wife will look for work but wont have one straight away.
    Ideally we would like a 2 bed place with a parking spot, close to public transport so it gives the wife more job options but outside the hustle and bustle – somewhere, that gives decent outdoor activities and cafes would be fine. We are mid 30’s so aren’t party animals so like to chill out, and we are happy for the occasional glass of wine out and about.
    What sort of salary would be comfortable for 2 people to live on?
    Thank you all!!

• BobinOz September 7, 2016, 12:55 am | Link

There are so many variables in this, it’s hard to say. Comfortable for some people is uncomfortable for others. I’ve had people on here claiming they can’t get by on $200,000 a year and others saying they have two holidays a year with two kids earning just $50,000.

If I were in your shoes, I’d be comfortable to come here if I were offered $70,000 plus that car, there’s no reason why you should not be fine on that. If your wife is genuinely looking for work, then you have the potential of two salaries in the near future and that will be even better.

If you fancy moving to Australia, then I would take this chance, you’ll get by. I’d come here for even less than $70,000, even if it meant struggling for a bit, because it would get me into the country and there’s a good chance that things would get better.

So, now I’ve told you what I think, what salary have they offered you?

• Pawandeep singh July 20, 2016, 1:32 am | Link

I have got positive skill assessment for Telecom Engineer on June-2016. My total work experience is of 9 years + (including 7 years in Telecom and 2 years in IT). I am confused that shud I apply under 189 or 190, because IT experience of 2 years may not be considered relevant to Telecom Engineer profile. if I do not consider IT experience than my total points are 55 and not 60. can you plz tell that if I apply under 189 for EOI, will Australian immigration process check my 60 points before sending invitation or after taking $3600 (i.e after invitation) ??

• BobinOz July 20, 2016, 11:28 pm | Link

You would need to speak to a MARA registered migration agent about this sort of thing, I do not answer questions about visas or eligibility. See Would I Qualify?

• Vishu June 7, 2016, 6:17 pm | Link

1) My name is Vishu, any graduate with 15 year experience in Diamond and Jewlery industry from India and applying for PR visa.
    2) I would be applying for my wife and 3 year baby. In India my salary is $10000 per annually.$800 monthly
    3) Can we get the job in Australia or New Zealand with higher pay ?
    4) Will i be getting all the benefits with Australia Government provides for PR?
    5) Which month did the pre-school starts? and which month did admission starts?
    6) For initial stage did Australia Government provides you home subsidy?
    7) What is the Average income of the common man?
    8) Working in Adelaide city in expensive?

Regards,
    Vishu

• BobinOz June 8, 2016, 12:03 am | Link

I think you’ll find most of your questions have been more than answered on my website, you just need to spend a little time looking around and having a good read.

The Google search facility towards the top right hand side of every page will help you find the articles you need.

• Krish May 30, 2016, 5:17 pm | Link

Hello Bob, I hope you are doing good. First of all thank you for your advice, very helpful. Could you please help me by posting links of pages where I could apply for jobs (Fashion Designer) in Australia(Melbourne) as i am not sure if those I am trying are trustworthy.

• BobinOz May 31, 2016, 7:43 pm | Link

Check out my page called How to Find a Sponsored Job in Australia, it tells you about a product that will help you find a job in Australia, whether that be sponsored or not.

It’s not free, but it’s well worth the small sum involved and it does list lots of employment agencies that can be trusted and will give you excellent guidance.

Otherwise, see Getting a Job or a Sponsorship for free links to job sites.

• Samrat May 13, 2016, 7:36 pm | Link

I have started the 190 Visa process, I.e. Skilled nominated (CSOL). I have experience of 4 & half yrs as a restaurant manager which is irrelevant to my graduation, I have completed my Bachelors in Biotechnology of 4 yrs. I am getting 60 points which are needed
    Age – 30, qualification- 15, Ielts – 10 & CSOL state nominated – 5
    Overall – 60, excluding my experience, if exp is also considered then it will add onn to my eligibility.
    1. So is it necessary that the experience should be relevant to the education ?
    2. After migrating to Australia, can we work in any state ? Or is that – we should live in the nominated state for 2 yrs ?
    3. Is Restaurant Manager is an in-demand occupation in Australia ?
    4. Which state would be preferable for this occupation?
    5. What would be an average package for the restaurant manager?
    *Please give me the answers for my queries Bob
    I have searched many blogs regarding this couldn’t get the perfect answers.
    Thanks & Regards
    Samrat, India.

• BobinOz May 15, 2016, 9:13 pm | Link

Five questions Samrat and not one of them to do with the subject matter of this page? You say you have searched many blogs to find the perfect answers, you clearly haven’t searched through many of the pages of this blog.

Please read Would I Qualify? and Getting a Job or a Sponsorship.

• Muhammad Aqeel May 9, 2016, 4:37 am | Link

My name is Aqeel and i applied for the student visa subclass573 in jan 13 ….. but i dont have any respone and april was my intake kindly tell me about how much chances of refusal or approval

• James Clark May 9, 2016, 5:10 am | Link

Mate, I think it’s unlikely Bob could actually answer that specific question. Best to speak to an immigration agent, right?