Perth

Living in Perth

Perth Western Australia

Perth is the capital of Western Australia and is Australia’s fourth largest city. It has a population of around 1.97 million people and is located on the south west coast of Australia. It is known as the world’s most isolated city because, well, it’s isolated!Perth Location

Perth is so far away from the rest of Australia it’s sometimes difficult to remember that it is part of the same country. The nearest major city to Perth is Adelaide, yet according to Google, it would take about one day and eight hours to drive the 2,696 km between the two cities.

In the past, it used to be a little more expensive to live in Perth because of the extra costs involved in transporting goods to the area. Yet today, Perth is thriving and Western Australia is the country’s fastest growing economy thanks to its vast supply of mineral resources.

If they are short of anything over there, its workers to keep it all going. So these days, prices in Perth are more in line with the rest of Australia.

It seems the isolation isn’t such a bad thing either. The Economist Intelligence Unit’s 2014 Liveability Survey places Perth the 9th most liveable city in the world. That’s not bad!

The city itself is located on the banks of the Swan River, which is quite wide in places. But if you want sandy beaches then you’ll need to travel around 10 km west from the city where you will find the Indian Ocean.

As you can see from the photograph in my banner, it is a glorious coastline. Turn either left or right and you will be spoilt for choice for beautiful beaches.

Waterman Beech, North Beach, South Trigg Beach, Scarborough Beach, Brighton Beach, Floreat Beach, City Beach, Swanbourne Beach, Cottesloe Beach, Mosman Beach, Leighton Beach and Port Beach, to name just a few.

That’s all without leaving Perth; I think you get the idea.

What’s the weather like?

Perth Annual WeatherHot, for the most part. Perth may well have the best summers in the whole of Australia. Well, that’s if you like 36° heat, 10 hours of sunshine a day and hardly any rain.

Like Brisbane, winters are mild and the rest of the time it’s hot, sunny and clear blue skies for the best part of it.

But as with most parts of Australia, sometimes the weather can be extreme. Perth can experience high winds and fierce storms, certain areas are at risk from flooding from the Swan River and the city is also close to Australia’s most active earthquake zone.

But mostly it is hot and sunny.

The Districts of Perth….

Map of Perth Western Australia

Perth can be broken down into five main areas:

• Inner Perth – including City, Inner North, Inner South, Inner South West, Inner East and Inner West
  • North Perth – including Northern Perth and Outer North
  • South Perth – including Outer South, Outer South West and Frementle
  • East Perth – including Outer East
  • West Perth – including Western Perth

Questions about Perth?

If you have any question about living in Perth, please please feel free to ask them in the comments below. Or if you know this city well, why not tell us what you think of it or maybe even help out by answering some of the questions people have about the area. I’m sure anybody thinking of moving here would be very grateful for any help you can give them.

It's good to share...Share on Facebook65Tweet about this on Twitter3Share on Google+4Share on Reddit0Pin on Pinterest6Share on StumbleUpon0
  • JohnO April 21, 2017, 6:59 pm | Link

Hi, wanting to find the best suburb in Perth for our needs, looking to buy, have a good budget for this, run businesses from home so no commute, would like to be near the beach, safe(low crime) and family friendly, good schools(private or state)we like to do things as a family and me and the wife also like to go out for a drink or a meal, been looking at City Beach, Sorrento, Hillarys and Mullaloo. Thanks

• Alastair Duncan April 4, 2017, 8:48 pm | Link

My wife and I are planning our move to Perth from the UK this July/August. I’ve got a 12 month post at Royal Perth Hospital and was after some advice regrading where might be a good place to base ourselves for the year. We are combining back to the UK after the 12 months (most likely) and want to make the most of the 12 months we have out in Perth. Ideally, we’d like somewhere that the commute to RPH isn’t too hectic (shifts will mean I’m at work before traffic should be at its worst) and long, but has something about the area as well. The 2 areas that keep cropping up on the internet are Subiaco and Cottlesloe. We’d be looking to rent a 2 bed apartment (to allow for visitors) and wondered if anyone has any advice regarding where might be best to base ourselves and what sort of prices we’re looking at for rent. I did read Mike’s post at the top, but wondered if there were any other opinions/bits of advice out there.

Ally

• BobinOz April 5, 2017, 6:20 pm | Link

Well, I’ve been to Subiaco, it looked very nice to me, and backs on to Kings Park which is a bonus. I don’t know it well enough to judge it though, so I will leave the opinions about the suburbs to the locals, hopefully someone will help you out.

As for a rental though, you can do some research on my page Cost of Buying or Renting a House in Australia.

Enjoy your 12 months in Perth.

• Pete April 5, 2017, 8:22 pm | Link

Hi Alastair

I guess as you are only in Perth for 12 months that you will be renting, looking for a 2 bedroom apartment within proximity to Royal Perth Hospital. In relation to transport, Perth is well catered for. You can drive into the City and park your car. Parking costs are not that cheap unless you get staff parking thrown in with your contract at RPH. Personally I would try to rent on one of the train / bus routes and use that means to get to work. If you search on-line you will find maps for the Perth Central Area (CAT) bus routes. The CAT buses are free so again, I would look at those routes and pick one of those options if the locations fit your needs. I’m pretty sure the red and the yellow CAT bus routes stop near RPH and if you are on a train route you can walk to the hospital from the McIver Train Station.
      So where to rent:
      Cottesloe, is a nice suburb between Fremantle and Perth. It has a train line to the City but you will need to walk a fair distance to RPH or catch a bus down Wellington Street. Cottesloe is basically full of ex prep-school people who now earn a relatively comfortable living along with recent mining boom workers. For me it is too far out of town, and the drive in during peak hour is a pain. (I drove through there today). The beaches are nice but you can get better north of the river. It is also on the wrong side of the City to where you are working.
      Subiaco is a nice older suburb, with some new developments west of the railway line which are very nice. As people have said Kings Park is close, as is the Freeway and the River. There are a lot of nice boutique shops, and cafes / restaurants. Shenton Park & West Leederville next door are also nice and I’d probably say to rent in these areas, if you working at SCGH which is nearby – but as you are RPH I think you would do better elsewhere.
      For options I would suggest looking at the east side of Perth on the transport routes. That means East Perth, Highgate and surrounds. These areas have apartments at reasonable cost, are close to work and the city and are in proximity to nice cafes and nightlife. (There are some nice new apartments opposite Queens Gardens in East Perth). If you wanted to be a bit further out you could also look at Burswood (5 min on the train to McIver station) or Victoria Park.
      You can get an idea of property rental prices on realestate.com.au and can find out a bit more about them by doing a ‘suburb profile ‘ report. You can also search for ‘Perth Crime Map’ which will tell you where not to live!

• Alastair April 6, 2017, 3:32 am | Link

Thanks for the advice, it’s much appreciated.

• Mike March 14, 2017, 11:19 am | Link

I’m 5th generation West Australian and was born in Perth and I’d have to say that your weather ratings aren’t that accurate. It’s defnitely hotter and the sun is defnitely more intense than any of the other 32 countries I’ve been in my life so far. I was there in late January 2017 and it was 45/46 degrees on one day. Especially if the Freo Doctor doesn’t come in and you have a slight Easterly blowing all day.

Also, since the Mining boom the cost of living went through the roof. Definitely the most expensive city I’ve ever been in. However, sine the mining died and the Government spent there contingency budget killing the economy it’s died down a bit. Aldi also moved in and brought some prices down in Woolworths and Coles thank God. Rents have also dropped a bit.

Things like utilities are a rip off. Mainly because there’s not competition. Like only one eletricity provider. I was paying 43 cents KiloWatt in perth compared to 14c/KW in Melbourne.

Also, flooding never happens and there’s only been one earthquake in like forever which was in Meckering out int he wheatbelt (middle of nowhere) east which is miles and miles from Perth and that was in the 60’s. Even that was puny. The worst things are bushfires and storms.

Because the city is so sparce and mostly one and two story housing on large blocks of land, the public transport is almost impossible to cover the whole city. Unless youw ant catch 2x trains and 3x buses and take hours to go only 30+ kms. So you have to have a car to get around. Oh and watch out for the millions of hidden speed cameras around the place.

Close and cheap to go to Australia from Perth now. I’ve been to Thailand and Malaysia 17 times because it’s so cheap and close.

One of the most multi-cultural cities in Australia now. Probably lost it’s identity a bit. When I was growing up you knew everyone, ya next door neighbours were ya good mates, you could have a long chat to your local shop owner and everyone was friendly. That’s changed now a fair bit. Not so “True Blue” anymore.

• Mike March 14, 2017, 11:30 am | Link

Sorry for typos I smashed that out at work and people kept interrupting me with real work too. LOL. IE: Close and cheap to go to Asia from Perth now, among other typos like there instead of their.

• BobinOz March 15, 2017, 12:08 am | Link

No worries about the typos Mike, but really, you should be working on putting a stop to those real-life work interruptions!

Those average temperatures along with the ‘On a really hot day’ numbers came after me pouring over pages and pages of data. I think this year though, records have been broken almost everywhere in Australia. It’s certainly been the hottest summer I’ve experienced since I came here in 2007.

I’m not surprised you’ve had 45 to 46° this year, and you’ve probably had it in other years as well, but my ‘On a really hot day’ numbers are really just an average top temperature, they are not the same as ridiculously hot days we sometimes get, or heatwaves.

Anyway, thanks for your look at life in Western Australia and in particular Perth, it’s good to hear it from someone who clearly knows the place well. It’s appreciated. I’ve only been there once, so I don’t know what it’s really like. 43 cents for a kilowatt of juice is ridiculous though! I’m paying 25 cents here in Brisbane for peak. Cheers, Bob

• Scott Verney April 16, 2017, 10:01 pm | Link

Hello Mike
      I am from Perth too, as far as the electricity prices it seems you have not lived in South Australia yet haha. Confirmed highest in Australia, and a bit of a joke now with the state wide black out and more blackouts projected next summer. Where I work they even purchased a generator because they cannot afford to close paying of and investing in property etc.
      Perth certainly changed, it used to be the big country town vibe, I left in 2013 and was around 19 when the boom really hit. The city did change allot, I felt like a stranger in my own suburb after a few years, so many new people around etc. Last I heard the housing rental had the highest vacancy rate, and one of my family members got a reduction on rental price! That is insane really, I have never heard of that happening in Australia, it is usually on the rise.
      Everyone knew it was going to happen though, the mining boom is what accelerated everything in and around Perth, the houses, the road works, the population etc. I have family there who go to Indonesia four times per year, but never seen Sydney or Cairns for example. Having travelled all of Australia except for NT, it is a bit of a shame really, but it’s so cheap.

• Naomi February 28, 2017, 11:31 am | Link

Hey there!
    My partner and I are looking to move to Perth and are not too sure where to set up. We love beaches with surf and come from a hospitality background for work.
    Do you have any suggestions for areas that might suit us?
    Thanks heaps! Great website 😀

• BobinOz March 1, 2017, 11:39 pm | Link

No, I don’t, I just don’t know Perth well enough being from Brisbane. What I did want to mention though was that there is a beach in Margaret River, that’s about three hours drive south of Perth, that is great for surf.

So good, they held one of the world surf championship rounds there…

Margaret River is very much a tourist area, so maybe some hospitality jobs are up for grabs as well? Apart from that, maybe a Perth local will give you their advice and is also worth having a quick look through the comments already made here for some tips.

• Kate March 10, 2017, 2:12 pm | Link

If you’re after Surf I’d head for Brighton, it has some crazy high waves! There will be loads of hospo jobs in Brighton as well there’s quite a buzzy scene there 🙂 hope that helps, Perth is my favourite city in Oz and WA is so beautiful in general you’ll love it!! I’ve been to every state and territory and WA is my favourite

• steve mckay April 12, 2017, 5:20 pm | Link

Hi I like to move to Perth but they say no job available I’m in hospitalty industry so what you recommend.Thanks

• BobinOz April 13, 2017, 8:38 pm | Link

Who are ‘they’?

I can’t imagine there are no jobs available, there must be some, but maybe it’s just difficult to get one. See my page Getting a Job or a Sponsorship to research jobs available in Perth.

• Jal February 25, 2017, 12:00 am | Link

Sorry, my comment was posted twice.

• BobinOz February 27, 2017, 9:45 pm | Link

Ah, yes, I see it has been and it’s also been answered twice in different places. So I will leave them both up then and it’s good to see that as I hoped would happen when I answered the first comment, a local has come to help you out. (Thanks Scott!)

• Jal February 24, 2017, 11:57 pm | Link

Hello.
    I am shortlisted for a PhD scholarship in Australia and need to decide between Wollongong Uni and Edith Cowan Uni. There are also European countries like Austria etc which I can choose, however, I am more inclined towards Australia and Edith Cowan Uni, Joondalup campus. However, I am hearing stories about abundance of snakes and spiders in Perth which is multiplying my stress levels. I am already pursuing PhD so I need to be very clear before I transfer. I will be living in student accommodation. I will be grateful for your advise, mate. Also, how is the life in Perth for an Asian?

• Scott February 26, 2017, 10:56 pm | Link

Hello

I have lived in Australia my whole life and your comment is amusing because I am doing a Tourism course and some overseas people have a misconception about the dangers of insects and animals in Australia. Sure they do exists, however spiders and looking for other insects just as they would usually do so it’s very rare for someone to get bitten or be in danger.
      Snakes are the same, you just have to be somewhat educated when you are bush walking or what to do if you see a snake which is again rare, I have only seen snaked three or four times and never had anything except been stung by a bee. People are more likely to be injured playing sport or something of this nature to be honest.
      I grew up in Perth and have been to Wollongong, Perth is a great city very hot in summer, mild winters with rain and nice beaches. Great foreshore and river plus Fremantle heritage tourist area. Wollongong is about 1 hour from Sydney and more of a semi-humid climate, not too hot or cold all year round with higher rainfall. I am not sure if there is allot to do around Wollongong itself however if you have a car you can drive into Sydney.

• Jal February 28, 2017, 2:06 am | Link

Thanks for your replies, Scott and Bob. Some of my concerns have been eased. So, am I correct in saying snakes do not roam around freely in Perth uni i Joondalup? I mean do I have to check for them every time before I sleep ?
        I am more introvert so I will not be usually going outside uni accommodation. Also, I am a little scarred of lightning, heavy thunders, and earthquakes. I read news about severe recent thunderstorms in Wollongong so I do not think I will apply there. How is the situation in Perth with regards to lightning, heavy thunders, and earthquakes?
        I will be very grateful for answering my queries and any advise.

• BobinOz February 28, 2017, 11:13 pm | Link

Here’s what you need to know about earthquakes in Australia…

And no, you do not have to check for snakes every time before you sleep, they do roam freely, but generally speaking, not close to humans. I see about one a year and I live in Brisbane’s leafy green western suburbs known for its higher snake population.

Thunderstorms and lightning though, yes, we get that quite often.

• Jal February 28, 2017, 11:38 pm | Link

Thanks for your reply, Bob. I guess this means that there may not be snake risk in Joondalup, Perth given that it is not leafy green.
            So, I guess I have to contend with heavy thunder and scary lightning sounds.
            Also, I have decided Perth would be comparatively better given all circumstances.
            Thanks again.

• scott March 4, 2017, 12:02 am | Link

Hello

Yes you are more likely to be on the lookout for idiot drivers than snakes haha. Australia is mostly outback and desert where you might need to check. The early settlers planned cities around river, good soil and living conditions. So nearly all cities are like this, no outback or remote areas for hours.

• Mil March 27, 2017, 11:46 am | Link

Hi Jal
      I livedin Wollongong for a year pursuing my bachelor of education. It is a wonderful city, you should have no concerns! There may have been 1 or 2 storms with lightning and thunder, but nothing catastrophic! The campus is beautiful and its a scenic walk if you live not far from campus. It is a reasonable train ride to Sydney also. I have not been to Perth, so I cannot comment, but I absolutely loved living in Wollongong and now, several years later, am considering moving there again with my husband (from Canada). Good luck with your decision!

• alem February 24, 2017, 11:57 pm | Link

Hello.

• BobinOz February 27, 2017, 9:41 pm | Link

While I couldn’t really tell you what life is like for an Asian in Perth, because I’m not one, I suspect it’s very similar to life for all the other inhabitants. Australia is a very multicultural country. I certainly would not let your concern about snakes and spiders prevent you from choosing Perth, our snakes very much keep themselves to themselves and spiders are not really a problem in this country.

If you want hot and sunny weather, great beaches and a laid-back lifestyle, then Perth should be your choice. If you want a snowball fight, go to Austria 🙂

Hopefully a student in Perth who knows the uni you are considering will see your comment and give you more information than I can. Good luck, whatever you decide.

• scott March 4, 2017, 12:09 am | Link

To be hones Alem, not that it matters to anyone as it is multicultural here, there are actually allot of Asian people in Perth, usually in the wealthy areas. If that is what you mean? Finding friends of same area? I don’t notice here in Adelaide until family point it out during visits, it’s mainly Australian born people.

• Rouviere David February 24, 2017, 7:02 pm | Link

Hi, received PR 189. Currently reside in South Africa Durban. We have visited Melboune, Sydney, Brisbane and Gold Coast last year but hubby has job offer in Perth ! kwinana area – any pros and cons. We will migrate if he gets the job as a family 2 adults, 2 kids (5 and 3). Any tips will be much appreciated..

• BobinOz February 27, 2017, 9:29 pm | Link

I don’t live in Perth, but for what it’s worth, here’s what I think. At the moment the biggest problem with Perth is finding a job, that problem is already solved for you. From what I know about Perth, it’s got great beaches, it’s a fantastic place to bring up kids, has good transport facilities and wonderful weather.

Some people say it’s a little isolated, I’m not sure that matters too much. Drive a few hours south and hit the marvellous Margaret River region, or just drive 25 minutes south and visit the very trendy Fremantle.

But as I say, I don’t live in Perth, and I don’t know the specific area you mentioned, so hopefully a local will see your comment and give you more information than I can.

• David Harrison January 17, 2017, 1:19 pm | Link

For me Queensland is the best place to live in Australia and I moved to Cairns nearly 16 months a go. I grew up in Hobart Tasmania and I’ve lived in most major cities except Perth, Alice Springs and Darwin, but personally I think Australia is quite overated when it comes to being able to make a good life. Hard to find work and to make friends. High crime and a lot of deadbeats! No real culture and run by heavy laws. I’ve lived and travelled in China and have family and many friends there. A more friendly people and cultural country and far more efficient in getting things done. China is definitely where I prefer to be, especially south east China.

• Mike March 14, 2017, 11:58 am | Link

Hi David.
      I totally agree, definitely overrated for good living. Work is out there if you find the right career with good opportunities. Yep, heavy laws taking away our freedoms to be responsible for our own lives. One thing or mistake happens in Australia to one silly person and they enforce a law for everybody. I’ve probably got more friends in Asia, South America and Europe now than in Australia too.

• BobinOz March 15, 2017, 12:27 am | Link

I totally agree about the heavy laws, somebody gets fatally punched on a night out in Sydney, which is of course a tragedy, but then everyone suffers, including the city itself, with the ridiculous lockout laws…

A child drowns in a swimming pool in Queensland, another real tragedy, but one more related to a lack of parental care, and then everybody in Queensland has to build a fortress around their swimming pool…

I hear that the latest law change here in Queensland, following a tragic house fire which claimed 11 lives, is that we are all going to need to get interconnected smoke alarms for every bedroom in the house, either hardwired to the mains or with a 10 year battery life. These things will cost $100 + per room to have them fitted professionally, maybe more.

The joke is that some people get one punched fatally and the perpetrator isn’t even drunk, or its 10 o’clock in the morning. The child who died in the swimming pool grabbed a chair or something and used it to climb over the gate, none of the swimming pool fence law changes will ever stop that. The house with the fire didn’t have any smoke alarms even though you can pick them up for about $10 each, so what makes the authorities think the same family would have invested $700 or more to fit out their house?

People should be made aware of the risks with these things, be educated about them, but then allowed to make their own decisions and not have these ridiculous laws thrust upon them. It’s a pet hate of mine, and I’m sure that’s clear to see from this rant.

• Chakshu behl January 16, 2017, 11:06 pm | Link

I am planing to move to Perth on study visa with my wife and 2 kids . Suggest the best but economical area to live nearby ECU.

• BobinOz January 18, 2017, 12:17 am | Link

‘Best’ is hard to help you with because it depends what you want from a suburb. Economical is easy though, you just need to find a suburb close to where you will be studying where accommodation is cheaper than elsewhere.

My page Cost of Buying or Renting a House in Australia can help you with that.

• vale January 18, 2017, 3:50 am | Link

ECU Mount Lawley or Joondalup? Mt. Lawley itself is a good place to live and quite economical as well plus it is very close to perth city..cheers

• Faye January 16, 2017, 4:52 pm | Link

Hi I’m contemplating to move to Perth with my hubby an kids from Darwin. My hubby currently works for inpex an is concerned about gettin work that won’t mean leaving for days. Guess I’m wondering if the mines are close so he could come home everyday.

• BobinOz January 18, 2017, 12:08 am | Link

Yes, I believe the mines have been closing, but the consequences of that are higher unemployment in the area which means that jobs are harder to find. The danger then is that your hubby doesn’t find a job at all and is home every day, but doesn’t earn any money.

I would suggest doing some research into this, to see what kind of job opportunities might be available to your husband before you make a move, particularly if he currently does have a job in Darwin.

• Vicki Edwards January 21, 2017, 8:37 pm | Link

The mines are not closing but the majority of the construction phase has beeen completed and the mines are now in production mode where less staff are required. Depends what skills your husband has but Perth is a wonderful place to live!

• Mike March 14, 2017, 12:10 pm | Link

China’s not buying and the cost of resources has dropped significantly which means that the mining sector has been putting off hundreds of workers. Which means they are leaving Perth. The State Government’s coffers and budget is at an all time low especially since they spent all their money building Perth Stadium and Elizabeth Quay. The last couple of years they were putting people off with involuntary redundancies and dissolving public sector roles in attempt to raise money. The economy is pretty low in Perth at the moment and maybe only just starting to show some small signs of movement just now in March 2017. So much so that I went and worked in New Zelaand 2015/16 and now I’m working in Melbourne where there’s heaps of work for what I do.

• Nicolina Leone January 6, 2017, 5:42 am | Link

Hi Bob, thanks so much for the information. I’m moving to Perth middle-to-end of March and am looking into areas I’d like to live. I think Inner or West (because of proximity to the beach) would be great. I’d love to be as central as possible but still in a reasonably priced area (doesn’t everyone?). If you have any suggestions on where to start, that would be so helpful!

Thanks!
    Nicolina

• BobinOz January 11, 2017, 8:27 pm | Link

I’m afraid I don’t know enough about Perth to help you with this, I live in Brisbane and I’ve only been to Western Australia once for a holiday. Hopefully a local will see your comment and help you out though, but it may also be worth you having a quick look through the comments already made here as there is some chatter about the suburbs.

• Mike March 14, 2017, 12:33 pm | Link

A place definitely to consider is Joondanna, Nollamara, Stirling, Westminster, Balcatta, Osborne Park areas. These places are older areas with larger quarter acre or more blocks of land. Most people are building new modern homes here and subdividing making them cheaper and newer. About 15mins to city, 15mins to Scarborough Beach, 10mins to Lake Monger, large shopping centres everywhere, freeway and trains closeby also so you have easy access to anywhere in Perth.

• Charmaine December 31, 2016, 2:01 pm | Link

How are you? My husband and I have recently been granted a 190 visa to Western Australia and we are plannung on moving soon. My husband is a hotelier my profession and we were wondering which regions in WA would give us better job opportunities. Would appreciate your advise.

• Sandy December 28, 2016, 7:35 pm | Link

Hi there. We are immagrating to Perth from South Africa my husband my two kids and I. I am looking for nice areas for us as a family and any other information 🙂 thanks so much.

• Paul Truebig December 29, 2016, 12:05 pm | Link

Hi Sandy
      We live in Cairns it is a great spot for family, it is like paradise. The ocean has salt crocs so we have a number of public pools. It is hot and can be humid. Lots of professional South Africans in Cairns.
      Lot of the work is fly in and fly out pending on the occupation.
      Good luck with your migration.
      Paul

• BobinOz December 29, 2016, 9:52 pm | Link

Cairns is a long way from Perth though Paul? 🙂

Sandy, Perth is very much a family orientated city so you will probably need to be more specific about what you’re looking for for someone to be able to help you. Alternatively, have a good skim through these comments, you will find lots of talk about what it’s like to live in various parts of Perth.

• sherri December 23, 2016, 5:08 pm | Link

Hi there
    I currenlty live in Christchurch New Zealand and am thinkg of moving to Perth in a few years time. Can anyone please recomment good family suburbs to live in we have two primary school age

• Ashleigh December 9, 2016, 9:27 pm | Link

Hi. I’m looking at relocating to Perth region from Melbourne and al looking for advice on suburbs/places that aren’t overly expensive. I’ve heard Mandurah is okay, but I really have no idea. Any tips would be helpful 🙂

• BobinOz December 12, 2016, 6:34 pm | Link

Mandurah has had a couple of mentions in these comments, it has been said it’s a bit far away from the city I think but nobody has said anything bad about it. That said, hopefully a local will be able to give you a better answer than I have.

Anybody know Mandurah?

• Julia December 17, 2016, 6:02 pm | Link

I live in a suburb just outside of mandurah, as with any area there are some lovely parts and not so nice parts…on the whole though we love it. If you like water sports it’s a great place to be. Coastal town so always close to a beach. About 50min train journey to the city from mandurah. Not a great deal of work in the area though so may end up having to commute.

• Ali December 18, 2016, 12:41 am | Link

Close to where you will be working would be ideal. North is comperatively expensive as compared to South of Perth. Willeton and Rossmoyne have one of the best school’s. Byford is a new fast growing housing which is 30min drive to Airport and 37min yo the City with good primary and high scools. Cockburn is also a very good suburb not far from Perth city

• Flyaway December 9, 2016, 5:02 am | Link

Hello,
    I’m going to live as a student in Perth and would like to now what is the cheapest accomodation there?

• BobinOz December 9, 2016, 6:56 pm | Link

Google gumtree and then try searching for rooms to rent on there, that would the about as cheap as it might get.

• CHIA HUI MING December 7, 2016, 12:03 am | Link

HI, I plan want go Perth travelling next year. do not know how to plan my routes. Perth look like very big.

• BobinOz December 7, 2016, 7:06 pm | Link

Perth is not really that big, Western Australia is though. I think this is something only you can plan though, because only you know the kind of things you want to see. A good travel site like Lonely Planet would undoubtedly help you with that. Good luck, Bob

• Olive December 3, 2016, 4:38 pm | Link

Hello,
    I’m planning to move to Perth next year as a student. I would like to find out how easy would it be for me to get a job to support me financially. Then secondly, how friendly are people at Perth considering I’m an African. I am also looking for new friends over there so that we interact more. Your feedback will be appreciated. TIA.

• BobinOz December 4, 2016, 11:55 pm | Link

I don’t live in Perth, so I’ll leave it to the locals to answer you more fully, but I do know that it is very hard to find jobs over there at the moment, so there really are no guarantees you will find enough work to fully support yourself.

You can search for job opportunities on my page called Getting a Job or a Sponsorship. Good luck, Bob

• Ibrahim H Ali December 5, 2016, 5:37 am | Link

I like to move perth in Australia but I don’t know how

• BobinOz December 5, 2016, 11:27 pm | Link

The first thing you will need would be a visa, see my page about Visas.

• Stupot December 20, 2016, 3:07 pm | Link

You will never hear anyone say West Australians, what a nice bunch of people. They’re not open to change or difference. You will find yourself mixing with other immigrants weather you want to or not.

• BobinOz December 21, 2016, 8:42 pm | Link

That’s a rather silly comment Stupot, I’ve been to Western Australia and I met many a bunch of nice people. You just can’t pigeonhole an entire population like that.

• Stupot December 26, 2016, 9:38 am | Link

Sorry Bob, i’m not being disagreeable. I’ve lived here for a while now and have also met some nice people. The nice ones tend to be East Coasters, Kiwi’s, poms etc though and not West Australians so I do stand by my statement that West Australians aren’t known for being ‘nice’ (there is nice people here tho’).

• Scott December 26, 2016, 12:49 pm | Link

Although Bob is correct, did you ever remember that quote by Abraham Lincoln? “As a man thinks, so shall he be”….or something like that. You are quite delusional to think everyone from WA is not nice, but you can live your life like that it’s your choice.

• BobinOz December 28, 2016, 9:23 pm | Link

That is right Scott, I believe Abraham Lincoln’s quote is also similar to a ‘self fulfilling prophecy’. If you think it is the case, it will be.

• Scott December 26, 2016, 12:45 pm | Link

Every city I have lived you can sort of generalise people, but it’s really not that correct. And if that is what you think those types of people will keep showing up. To be honest, having grown up there it stems from the mining boom and population boom, Perth is so far away it has little influence from other states and cities, when the population boom hit, the real estate prices and availability sky rocketed, like a rental doubled in price literally over 8 years, yet the house was the same. All the small mining towns were used and abused by so called FIFO workers from overseas and interstate, and at one stage there were 1000 people moving to Perth every week. This created chaos for busy intersections, and working on the percentage of population to new arrivals and people departing, it was growing two to three times faster than Sydney. Some people who lived in Perth did not like this at all, but there was nothing they could do about it. So that is probably why you have met people who are like that, some people enjoyed the city for what it was but now it has changed allot, and by that I don’t mean the buildings and houses, I mean you could feel like a stranger in your own suburb that you grew up in because you now hardly recognised people you knew anymore. That is what my experience was.