Darwin

Living in Darwin

Darwin SunsetDarwin is the capital of Northern Territory but it is not very big, being something like Australia’s 16th largest city. Greater Darwin consists of Darwin City, Darwin Suburbs, Litchfield and Palmerston and has a population of around 136,000 people. It is located centrally on the northern coast of Australia, so if Australia were of clock, Darwin would be on the 12.

It should be noted though that both Litchfield and Palmerston are quite some distance from Darwin City, being around 30 km and 21 km respectively. The population of Darwin and its immediately surrounding suburbs is probably something like 80,000.
Darwin Location

Darwin, like Perth, is quite isolated. It is closer to the capital of Indonesia than it is to the capital of Australia. It’s also very close to the equator. So it’s hot! It’s humid! And it’s got crocs!

There, I’ve got that out of the way.

But if you can stand the heat and humidity, Darwin and the surrounding areas offer the kind of stunning beauty not easily found anywhere else in the world. That beauty is enhanced by Darwin’s climate which has a “wet season” and a “dry season”.

This natural beauty has led to Darwin having a thriving tourist industry. The area is steeped in Aboriginal history and culture and surrounded by National Parks, the biggest and most impressive being Kakadu.

Whilst nature gives the region and its beauty, nature has also destroyed the city. On Christmas day in 1974, tropical Cyclone Tracy ripped the place apart taking many lives at the same time. But Darwin was quickly rebuilt and is today a modern, vibrant and young city.

Darwin is not short of beautiful beaches either. The pick of them being Mindil Beach, which includes an occasional market, just a couple of kilometres from the city centre and Vestey’s Beach, also close to the city. And if you want to be at one with nature, check out Casaurina Beach, 7 km’s east of the city. It’s a nudist beach. Don’t forget the sunscreen!

Some beaches have nets to protect against the box jellyfish, but with the rise of appearances by the Irukandji, a jellyfish so small it can penetrate the nets, I’m not sure you would want to be trusting these places.

But it’s not just the jellyfish. The sea in this region is probably one of the most dangerous seas in the world. It looks beautiful, it looks clear and it looks blue. But it can be very dangerous for swimmers. Remember, crocs can be found in the sea as well as in the creeks and billabongs.

Always check with locals before going swimming in this region. There are safe places to swim in the area and they will know where they are. Darwin is beautiful, but it’s not for the faint of heart. If you decide to check out Darwin, you’ll need somewhere to stay. For the best choice and some great rates you should visit this site to find a Hotel in Darwin

What’s the weather like?

Darwin Annual Weather ChartThe climate of Darwin is tropical, that means there is no winter and summer, just wet and dry. If you take a look at my chart, you can easily see when those wet and dry seasons are.

There are on average 75 rainy days between December and May with a total of over 1300 mm of rain.

But during June to November, there are just 20 rainy days with only 200 mm. But the temperature doesn’t change much throughout the year. It’s always hot and it’s mostly humid.

Severe weather for the area include, of course, tropical cyclones, electrical storms, gale force winds and flooding.

Here’s a map of the Darwin area…..

Darwin Map

Darwin can be broken down into four main areas:

• Inner Darwin  – known as Lyons Ward
  • North Darwin – known as Richardson Ward
  • East Darwin  – known as Waters Ward
  • West Darwin – known as Chan Ward

Questions about Darwin?

If you have any question about living in Darwin, please please feel free to ask them in the comments below. Or if you know this city well, why not tell us what you think of it or maybe even help out by answering some of the questions people have about the area. I’m sure anybody thinking of moving here would be very grateful for any help you can give them.

It's good to share...Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on Google+0Share on Reddit0Pin on Pinterest0Share on StumbleUpon0
  • Toni July 23, 2017, 1:22 am | Link

I’m from Sydney and considering a job that’s available in Darwin. I’ve never been and wondering what it’s like in terms of lifestyle, and affordability of rent in decent areas.

The position pays less than what it does in Sydney so ideally cost of living/rent should be less, but i’ve heard this isn’t the case. Which areas are safe to live in and which are advisable to stay away from?

Also I’m single and won’t know many people and would like to still access things like art, music, yoga, meditation, restaurants and am not sure how much of this sort of thing is around.

The other concern is the weather and if it’s just too much to live in permanently (or at least a year or 2).

Many thanks for any tips!

• BobinOz July 24, 2017, 8:09 pm | Link

Well, as far as renting goes, I did an article about this last year and rents were falling quite rapidly in Darwin and were certainly cheaper than Sydney’s. Here’s a link to the post…

I’ll leave the locals to answer your other questions, but I did spend 10 days in Darwin a few years back, and there are definitely restaurants and entertainment around, but most of it is centred around one street in the CBD. There is no doubt your choice of things to do will be massively reduced compared with what goes on in Sydney, and when major international acts tour Australia, they always do Sydney and rarely go to Darwin.

Anyway, hopefully someone else will help you out here, but do read the comments already made on this page, there is much of talk about what it’s like in Darwin.

• Toni July 24, 2017, 10:17 pm | Link

Thank you!

• Cissie June 17, 2017, 12:28 am | Link

We are planning to move to Darwin from Adelaide we’ve been here 16 months from uk. My husband is getting a job there! Just want to ask best areas for schools etc I have a 15 and 4 year old. Do you know Gray at all and what is Yarrawonga like???

• BobinOz June 19, 2017, 8:07 pm | Link

I’m afraid I will have to leave this one to the locals, I know as much about those places as probably you do 🙂 Hopefully someone will help you out here, it is also worth reading the comments made so far by others, I’m sure you’ll pick up some good information.

Good luck with the move, Bob

• Nita vyas June 4, 2017, 12:21 pm | Link

my daughter 41 her son 14 planning to settle in Darwin. can u plz guide where in which centrally safe area she should make choice for her and son to have easy access to school and market. what about local transportation. she is a professional ladies hair dresser and treatment giver. what kind of jobs available in salon. how much can be earned weekly. cost of living including house rent, food expenses and overheads expenses to be incurred for both on monthly basis.

• BobinOz June 5, 2017, 7:39 pm | Link

Gosh, lots of questions, may I suggest you ask your daughter to visit my website and read the relevant pages which answer all of these questions? For example, reading the comments on this page will help her decide which suburb might suit and the other questions are probably all answered elsewhere but in particular under my Migration Advice section which is linked from the main navigation menu.

• Cruz Ignatius June 3, 2017, 5:19 am | Link

We’re Indian expats who’ve been in Dubai for a good decade now and intend on visit Darwin next week (11-18 jun) to check out various vicinities and decide on where we potentially would like to call home.
    My wife,3yr old and self have been granted a subclass 489 visa and we intend to move to Darwin sometime next year.

Any suggestions on the best location for hotels where we could be put up in, such that its centrally/ideally located from all recommended suburbs.
    Best,
    Cruz

• BobinOz June 5, 2017, 7:11 pm | Link

Darwin is much more like a big town than a city, the centre of which is pretty much Mitchell Street. So if you go to Google maps you will be able to see where that is. From my limited knowledge of Darwin, I’ve only been once, the coastal areas of Fannie Bay East Point and Coconut Grove looked quite nice. Other than that, it might be a good idea you read some of the other comments already made here about the suburbs.

• Cruz Ignatius June 7, 2017, 9:19 pm | Link

Thanks mate, appreciate your help!

• Duong Thuy Linh April 26, 2017, 4:46 pm | Link

Hi everyone,

I am from Vietnam and also waiting for skill assessment migration sponsored by NT. I am quite concern about all the wild animals since I have lived close to nature. Living in London, Singapore and Hanoi. We are a family of 3, with a young kid 6 years old. Where do you suggest to be the safest place for family with good school? And also close to a friendly community in case we need help. We are not so used to natural disaster either.
    How would you describe Darwin’s weather? Is it as hot as Singapore, Thailand? Or hotter and more humid?
    I need to have 1 year of full time job in Darwin. What are the chances of obtaining a full time job in Darwin? as I am aware that casual jobs are not considered full time jobs.

Thank you very much.

• BobinOz April 27, 2017, 5:27 pm | Link

Well, for the wild animal situation, see the replies to Steve below. Darwin is hot, if I’m not mistaken the weather doesn’t vary too much from around 30° to 32°C all year, and can be very humid in the wet season which is in summer time.

Having only holidayed briefly in Singapore, Thailand and Darwin, I couldn’t compare the climates, maybe somebody else can help you out with that. I believe the job situation is quite healthy and Darwin, so you have a chance, but no guarantees.

If you browse the rest of the comments, there’s quite a bit of talk about the suburbs and places to live in Darwin.

• Steve April 21, 2017, 3:30 am | Link

Hey Bob,

This question is perhaps a bit out of place on this board.. I am Canadian but lived in Brisbane with my partner for 2 years while doing my Masters Degree. We loved Brisbane more than anywhere else in the world and want to go back ASAP! (I often contribute on your south Brisbane suburb board)

However with the VISA changes in the last week plus some other issues we likely won’t be able to move back to Brisbane permanently (we can only do working holiday) unless we do 2 years in Darwin (as NT sponsors my job).

I am more than willing to do this, as Brisbane is where I want to live for the rest of my life and 2 years in the top end is a small payment for that. My partner on the other hand is concerned about the critters and creatures in the top end. We had similar fears before moving to Brisbane, and that was crushed quickly when we learned there was nothing to fear.

Is there anything to fear in Darwin, more so than Brissy (Crocs not included)

Thanks,
    Steve

• Mark April 21, 2017, 6:06 am | Link

Its perhaps worth reading lower down a post or two from Trudi and Kat Within it is some posts from a Michael Parker who evidently lives in Darwin and will perhaps when read it will do the same to crush any fears…
      Just to add I would not hang about with any application, things seem t be changing here with visa changes and the new shall we say stricter citizenship test announced yesterday// I suspect a major overhaul of the jobs come the new lists in I think its July…

• BobinOz April 21, 2017, 6:07 pm | Link

No, there is nothing to fear at all about Darwin, I just wouldn’t go swimming in the sea although some people do, believe it or not.

I would say most definitely it is worth experiencing Darwin for a couple of years if the payoff is going to be the opportunity of staying and then moving to Brisbane, two years isn’t very long at all.

I’ve only spent 10 days in Darwin, but I wasn’t attacked by a single crocodile, didn’t see any snakes or spiders. It probably wouldn’t be my choice of a place to live permanently, but I could comfortably live there for a couple years if I needed to.

As Mark has said, take a look at some of the other comments people have made here, and stick around because maybe someone who does live in Darwin right now will give you their views.

• Steve April 21, 2017, 8:16 pm | Link

Thanks for the Reply Bob and Mark!

the insight is greatly helpful.
        Steve

• Mukesh Kumar Aggarwal March 25, 2017, 10:39 pm | Link

I am going to plan migrant in NT. But i do not know any body in NT. Please suggest me ” NT is a good place for family and employment” and more about safety.

Mukesh

• BobinOz March 27, 2017, 7:12 pm | Link

Some people love Darwin, some people hate it. Some people think Darwin is paradise, others think its a living hell. I don’t know which camp you and your family would fall into. It is safe though, and there are work opportunities, depending what you do.

You can research jobs on my page called Getting a Job or a Sponsorship.

• Mayur vora March 30, 2017, 8:50 pm | Link

Hey, even i am planning to migrate. my application is under process hopefully another 6 months or. lets connect. it would be great to hear from like minded people. also any help is good help. guys feel free to advice.

• Kapil April 18, 2017, 5:51 pm | Link

Same here…Even I am planning to mover to NT and my application is also under process. Bob, I see many informative points from you. On my websites I saw that it is considered costly place to live to to high cost of groceries etc. Is it really costly? Mayur … please share your no. so that we can keep in touch.

• Mayur vora April 18, 2017, 6:51 pm | Link

Hi Kapil, Good to hear from you. get me on 9819177731.
          Looking forward to hearing from you. I am based in Mumbai.

Cheers

• BobinOz April 19, 2017, 12:09 am | Link

Cost of living information is all over this website, it has its own category and then there is The Cost of Living in Australia of Everything to help you further.

• Kat March 21, 2017, 6:37 pm | Link

Hi all

I’m in UK at mo, waiting to go through visa application after securing a job. I’ve just been reading the posts. Michael replied to someone about rental accommodation and needing references from landlords. I presume this is renting a house/unit with an letting agent rather than a sub-let room like on flatmates.au? I’m currently living at home so wouldn’t have any recent landlord references (I don’t think my mum will count!)

Does anyone have any advice about this?

Many thanks

Kat

PS Bob, you have the patience of a saint with some of the messages left on here and your consistently polite replies – hats off to you!

• BobinOz March 21, 2017, 9:30 pm | Link

Thanks Kat, sadly I’m not this patient in real life, as Mrs Bob will testify 🙂

No, you won’t need landlords references for places like flatmates, and it’s also worth looking on gumtree and trading post (Google them) for shared accommodation. I think there is another one called couchsurfing as well. You can always start in a backpackers place as well, easy to book in and a good place to meet new people.

• Sudeep March 10, 2017, 5:23 pm | Link

Hi, I am an expat from India planning to move to Darwin with my family(my wife and kid) on May 2017. What are the odds of getting an accomodation rightaway? I am looking for a budget stay(<200$ pw) with industries, malls and stations nearby. Could you please help…

• Michael March 10, 2017, 5:40 pm | Link

Should not be a problem, at the moment there is an oversupply of particularly Units.

$200 will get you a room in a Shared house or unit.

$300-$400 per week will get you a 2-3 Bedroom unit (apartment) depending on location and age of the unit.

Rents have reduced by approx 35% over the past 2 years.

• Mayur vora March 30, 2017, 8:53 pm | Link

hi Sudeep, do share your experience may be i shall get in touch with you soon. in another 6 months or so. planning to move in with my wife and 3 yr old kiddo to Darwin.

• Basil March 7, 2017, 5:42 pm | Link

Dear sir
    My daughter is planning to migrate to Darwin , she is early childhood teacher. are there vacancies for my daughter.

Basil

• Benjamin Paul March 2, 2017, 1:47 pm | Link

Kindly guide me in choosing a suburbs in darwin for accommodation for a family of 4

• BobinOz March 3, 2017, 12:08 am | Link

Well, I don’t live in Darwin so I can’t help, but the way you have asked your question I don’t think even a local could help you, you haven’t said anything about what you want from a suburb.

May I suggest you have a read through these comments here, there is some chat about the various suburbs and I’m sure you will find it helpful. Please feel free to ask your question again but if you do, let people know what you want. Close to the city, close to the sea, out in the country, near a shopping mall, close to good schools, that sort of thing.

• Kanishka February 22, 2017, 12:50 am | Link

I have applied for state nomination skill visa 190 category last July and still no any response and untill I receive the nomination I can’t apply for visa. Pls can I know what is the time duration for processing application.
    Thnx

• BobinOz February 26, 2017, 9:40 pm | Link

There is no set time limit on this, as far as I’m aware.

• Anoop March 27, 2017, 2:52 am | Link

Hi Kanishka,
      May i know how many points you scored while filing the 190 visa application.

Thanks,
      Anoop

• Jagath February 20, 2017, 3:41 pm | Link

hi Bob,

Thanks for all the details provided here and also the responses to each question. I have got Temporary Resident visa to NT and planning to move end March 2017. I too have two kids 11 and 9 years respectively.

My question is on my employment. I have been working on non profit organization over the last 10 years or so. Are there jobs in this field Bob?

Also under TR visa (489) category I heard some jobs (especially government) are not eligible, is that true?

• Trudi Roy February 14, 2017, 6:53 pm | Link

Hi Bob, we have the option of moving to the NT, Darwin in fact, from Scotland. I’m now worrying that it will be too much of a culture shock for my 2 kids, there only 6 and 4 and l do worry about them adapting to the heat, rain we are used to however not on the same scale. Would you yourself have concerns taking your family to somewhere so different. We have been to other parts of Australia and loved it but nvr Darwin, l am a tad scared about the crocs lol….l read on a forum they can live in drains in your garden….please tell me this is not true ha,ha, ha,ha

• Mark February 14, 2017, 8:02 pm | Link

Im sure Bob will pop in and answer and I suspect will give more info on NT…I thought id throw in as well…extra opinion…Your a good parent that’s obvious in your concern and yes of course you have concerns changing their environment.. You don’t say if its a permanent move or a one of chance to come and live in AU…If its your only chance grab it with both arms…My point being they will thrive here in Australia, I think far more than UK Darwin would not be my first choice Ill grant you, had my company said go there Id have gone…I think AU offers some great opportunities compared to the UK. If nothing else you will give them an experience. Though to be more precise are you moving from say Edinburgh or Glasgow or somewhere as quiet as Dunkeld…. Id grant you it woud be a change from Glasgow to Darwin but Dunkeld probably not.. To answer your question specifically Yes I would take my family somewhere so different…They are young and if you make it an adventure then they will have a great time If you make it a life change I am sure they will to..You may even move areas a few years on… If your getting paid a lot more then that’s a bonus for them too. There are so many other factors… Good luck and hope you make it…..

• BobinOz February 14, 2017, 9:38 pm | Link

For some people, Darwin is an absolute paradise. For others, it’s a hellhole. Unfortunately, I don’t think there’s any way of knowing how you and your family will feel about it until you get there and try it out.

I’d say your children are at a good age though, they adapt quickly when they are so young. My daughter was 3 1/2 when we got here, she hated it at first. Kept asking when we were going home again. Fair enough, we were still waiting for our furniture, she had no friends and it was school holidays so no kindie either.

Four months later that was all in the past for her, she loved it here, swimming in the pool, making new friends, toys in the bedroom. So I personally think your children will adapt and enjoy the adventure.

What Mark is suggesting, and I agree, is if you have an opportunity to come and work in Darwin on a two-year contract say, then once you’ve done that time, if there is a pathway to a more permanent stay, it’s likely you can move and live wherever you want in Australia.

I would certainly live in Darwin for a couple of years and enjoy it, if I knew that if I didn’t like it I could go elsewhere.

As for the crocs in the drains, well, yes I suspect it does happen. But these are big drains, I think I’ve seen them on the side of the road up there. About 3 metres wide and at least a couple of meters deep.

They are not the drains that you would have underneath the bath plug 🙂 I shouldn’t worry about the crocodiles too much, they are not hanging around on street corners waiting to mug you. Just don’t go swimming in any open waters, stick to swimming pools and man-made lagoons. There is a great one right on the promenade.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

• Trudi February 17, 2017, 9:42 am | Link

Thanks Bob for your really informative post. I did have a chuckle to myself when l read that you envisaged crocs to be everywhere, round every corner. This is just me, l had a dream that l opened my back door to find one on the lawn looking for a bacon buttie….my bacon at that ha,ha. You’re links have helped me to keep things in proportion. It was really good to read that your daughter adapted after a few months. Plus we are not looking for outstanding shopping or the hustle and bustle of a large city, but more so a place where we can meet the same person twice and we can enjoy doing the outdoor things we do here but on a warmer scale….much warmer at that. Thanks again.

• Trudi February 17, 2017, 8:54 am | Link

Thanks Mark, for giving me what sounded like a very honest answer. I live in a tiny town in Scotland, don’t get me wrong we have a good life, good jobs and great friends but l want to have this adventure with my kids before their too cool to hang out with us anymore 😁. In my heart l would rather regret going than regret not going. Thanks again

• mark February 17, 2017, 11:21 am | Link

Well there you go…something I always work on having lived on three continents now..I can regret some things I have done..but I dont regret not doing them.. Sounds like the adventure is on…A serious note, school research, is key for them…come and earn your crust in AU and let them enjoy.. Keep in touch with friends on Skype and the children keep in touch with theirs/ It may not be many but they are theirs, mine are 11 and 8 and I have just sent 38 Koala’s with Paddington bear style ‘look after this (daren’t say bear) to all their class mates… I do wonder what customs may make of my parcels..It was pasties in one last week arriving in AU….It can be tough on them as they will have little grasp of how far away they are and anything may happen. My daughter was upset one day, so much so she got in her case and closed it wanting to go home, I think you can imagine how I felt …I had taken my eye off the ball that day.
          Meanwhile I have to say I was embarrassed by you this morning as I laughed out loud on a train whilst nearing the CBD. Luckily I was able to share your above post with the person next to me and then the person opposite got involved…Why! Well the line about a croc at the back door looking for a bacon buttie was just too funny…Here is hoping you will love it and if NT doesn’t tick all the boxes maybe move states when you can…

• BobinOz February 17, 2017, 9:18 pm | Link

One of the first things we did when we arrived in Australia was buy a satnav. I remember the day my little girl asked us if we could set it to take us back to our old house. So yes, I agree, kids don’t really understand the distance. Like you Mark, we felt bad, but as I’ve said, it didn’t last long, she soon got into the groove of Oz.

And Trudi, couldn’t agree more, I think there’s nothing worse than not giving it a go just in case, and then spending the rest of your life wondering what if. Good luck with your plans, hope it all works out for you and your family.

• Kat February 18, 2017, 1:21 am | Link

Hi Trudi,

I’m moving to Darwin sometime soon (job nomination and visa pending) 3 months or so. I’m more terrified of the huntsman spider, entirely harmless but bloody massive and apparently known to hide behind sun visors in cars……. I’m not sure what percentage of people actually experience this but it still freaks me out!
      I’m moving on my own, maybe if you decide to come over we can meet up and exchange tips on surviving the humidity, crocs and critters 🙂 ?

I also hope to be able to help others on this website who are coming to Darwin/Palmerston areas.

Many thanks to Bob and everyone who posts on here!

Kat

• BobinOz February 19, 2017, 8:16 pm | Link

Thanks Kat and good luck with your move. Do let us know how it goes and if you can help others here, that would be awesome!

As for the Huntsman, they are such gentlemanly spiders, I think you can learn to like them. Honest…

• Michael Parker February 23, 2017, 8:21 am | Link

Really, you don’t need to be worried at all about safety in Darwin.

Hunstman Spiders are totally harmless, they are just another insect.

Part of living in Australia (anywhere outside the large artificial cities), is that it IS A CLOSER to NATURE environment, there ARE Animals, Insects, rivers, that have not yet been concreted over. If you like living in the Concrete Jungle, then you need to stick to the big cities, that are just like any other concrete highrise big city the world over with the same Starbucks, Macca’s and all the other same same stuff.
          (Darwin still has these too unfortunately, but it also has so far kept more of its own culture and environment)

Really living with animals and insects is just common sense and if you are a City person, Darwin offers that too and you can live isolated in a high rise apartment and have the cafe scene on the ground floor and the nightclub around the corner if you want. I would rather have the odd green frog in the toilet bowl and a gecko on the ceiling, than be living in an anonymous big city with busyness, rudeness and the violence and crazy people that seems to concentrate.

However Darwin really does come into its own for its great lifestyle, warm & hot weather, facilities for a smaller city, ease of getting around (although you do need a car, but parking or traffic are never a problem).

Absolute wonderful things about Darwin are:
          – Lifestyle
          – Opportunity
          – Very good education options and access for your kids or to go to University
          – Excellent job and career opportunities
          – very Friendly and welcoming people

But if you are really a City Slicker and don’t like the natural environment its probably less of the place for you.

Also as the job market and wages are higher, so is the cost of rent and other expenses. But not all expenses as for example the cost of transport to work is less.

• Michael Parker February 23, 2017, 8:44 am | Link

PS. Like everywhere in the world you can’t believe what you see and read in the media and social media.

There are NO Crocodiles in Drains and in the streets. you are completely safe.

EXCEPT there ARE crocodiles in the sea (but we still swim in the sea) and you definitely do NOT swim in rivers and creeks that have Crocs in them.

See https://nt.gov.au/emergency/community-safety/crocodile-safety-be-crocwise

Bear in mind that like all community notices its meant to take a cautious and make you scared. But all you need is information and common sense.

You are thousands of times more likely to be injured or killed in a car accident than the risks of our natural environment.

• BobinOz February 26, 2017, 9:57 pm | Link

Great information about Darwin Michael, thanks for taking the time. I very often say to people that Darwin is a love it or hate it place, you clearly love it. As you say though, it’s not the place for big-city lovers. Like yourself though, I’d rather have a bit of wildlife around and no traffic jams.

• Trudi Roy March 10, 2017, 8:07 am | Link

Hi Kat, sorry for my late response lve only just seen this. Good luck on your move, we have just been accepted for a 489 visa
        However before l make my decision my husband and l are going to fly out to see what we think of Darwin. I hope it all goes smoothly for yourself and if we take the plunge l’ll look u up 😁

• Karen March 11, 2017, 9:40 pm | Link

Hi Kat
        Great news on your job offer! Did having a job offer assist with your Visa application? I am looking to move to Darwin from Scotland and I’m currently applying for state nomination. I am considering applying for job vacancies at the same time, however, have read that the process can take some time and as such I’m not sure how feasible that would be?? Any advice would be much appreciated.
        It would be great to hear how you are getting on in Palmerston.

• Kat March 12, 2017, 2:09 am | Link

Hi Karen

I still haven’t got my confirmation as there have been problems at their end. Then my employer will nominate me and I can then start visa application. As my job is only for 3 years I will apply for 457 temporary (up to 4 yrs) visa. Once I get confirmation I’ll let you know. Embassy said up to 3 months but I’ll need to get medical and possibly police check oz end (I work with kids) as part of that.
          What made you choose Darwin?

Kat

• Trudi Roy March 22, 2017, 7:39 am | Link

Good luck karen with the process, we’ve just been accepted for a 489visa and we’re also from Scotland x

• Hamid Ali February 9, 2017, 9:46 pm | Link

Hi, I have more than 7 years experience in accounting and finance and planning to move to Darwin under subclass 189 visa. What are the job opportunities for accountants and any suggestions about reasonable accommodation for family.

• BobinOz February 10, 2017, 6:59 pm | Link

Same answer as I’ve just given Ornell below, but hopefully a local might be able to give you a better answer than I can. It’s also worth looking through these comments here, jobs and accommodation have been discussed many times before. Good luck, Bob

• Ornell February 9, 2017, 8:56 pm | Link

Hi All,
    I’m planning to move to Darwin from Melbourne. i’m a multimedia graduate from deakin university. i have some voluntary and casual multimedia experience here in Melbourne. I would appreciate if someone can advice me on job prospects in Darwin and the competition on media related occupations, and how are the rentals i heard the rentals have came down a bit.
    Thank you for this website Bob i find it very helpful as i have been looking all over the web for some good information until i saw this site.

Best Regards,
    Ornell.

• Kat Daylyn February 9, 2017, 2:38 am | Link

Just been offered a job in Palmerston (Woohoo!!!), sorting out visas etc will be moving on my own and won’t know anyone there.
    I was hoping that some of the BobinOZ people might be able to help!
    I plan to find a house to share with people on gumtree maybe?
    Any advice on:
    • Best place to live, Palmerston, Darwin or surrounding areas?
    • Best way to find decent housemates
    • Buying/leasing a car
    • General advice to a newbie moving to the Top End about meeting folks/where to shop etc
    • I figure its better to get an apartment on 2nd/3rd floor to perhaps avoid creepy crawlies – will this work??

Will be gratefully received!

Many thanks
    Kat

• BobinOz February 9, 2017, 9:30 pm | Link

Congratulations on landing that job, very exciting.

Hopefully a local will come along and help you out with your questions Kat, because my knowledge of the area is obviously limited.

That said, I think Gumtree is a good place to start, but I think finding decent housemates is just pot-luck. Shopping isn’t really Darwin’s thing, for example, there aren’t any really big department stores up that way. Palmerston does have a shopping mall, but it’s not very big.

Darwin and Palmerston, I think, are technically two different places, but they are only about 20 minutes apart by car. When I was in Darwin, the nicest places to live seem to be along the coast, sort of Fannie Bay, Nightcliff, Coconut Grove way.

But what do I know? I was only there for 10 days. I did write a few posts about it, you can find them all around about here…

I think you will need more than a second or third floor apartment to avoid the critters though, apart from crocodiles, the rest are pretty good at climbing 🙂

Good luck with your move, Bob

• Trudi Roy March 22, 2017, 7:31 am | Link

Congratulations on the job front, welldonex

• Antonio Green January 8, 2017, 4:35 pm | Link

Hi Bob, I am moving to Darwin as an international student and if you or anyone else reading this comment knows then please suggest me which area should I live in? Recommend me the area from where both part time job and uni will be equidistant or which area has more part time job options? Thank you

• BobinOz January 11, 2017, 9:10 pm | Link

I’m afraid I don’t know Darwin well enough to answer this question, but I do know that it isn’t a very big city at all. Pretty much all of the night life goes on in and around one street in the city centre, so if you’re looking for work in bars or restaurants, then that’s probably where you will find it.

The University, if I remember correctly, is about 20 minutes drive away, in fact I’m pretty sure there is nothing you can’t get to within 20 minutes in Darwin. So I would think what you should be looking for is accommodation that fits your budget and has good transport access to where you will be studying and also to the city.

That’s what I think, but maybe a local will see your question and be able to give further advice. Good luck, Bob

• Ann January 2, 2017, 10:15 am | Link

Hello!
    I am a musician (composer and pianist), 29 years old, 2 children. We are from Russia. We would like to work in Darwin. Is it possible to get 190 visa? And how to get the job offer? I sent my CV almost every day.

• Andy December 29, 2016, 5:27 pm | Link

Hi, I’m Andy, Age 43, married, one kid.
    I’m insurance agent From Jakarta, Indonesia, very tired live in this chaotic city.

If i had 1 million US dollar, is that enough for retirement, raise kid and maybe settle small bussiness in Darwin ?

• BobinOz December 30, 2016, 5:56 pm | Link

Well, it would certainly go a long way towards it, but you would probably need to spend at least half of that buying somewhere to live. But given your age, I don’t think you have enough yet to retire here in Australia. I think your bigger problem though, could well be securing a visa to come here and that’s what I’d look into first.

My page with Migration Advice will help you with that.

• Vicki December 29, 2016, 4:58 am | Link

G’day Bob,

Have been living away from Australia for over 2decades now, have been thinking of returning(lived in Melbourne in the past) Interested in making a new start.Will I be able to find work easily? I have a BA degree and a Diploma in Education (attained at Melbourne Universities).

Homesick aussie💚💛
    and a Diploma in Education.

• Mark December 29, 2016, 10:02 am | Link

In general you should be fine getting a job .How long depends on how adaptable As a better answer though… What are you experienced at? I am assuming you have used your diploma in that field or you work doing something completely different. if it is teaching it may be easier to answer more specific.

• Vicki December 29, 2016, 5:22 pm | Link

Thanks Bob.

• BobinOz December 29, 2016, 10:22 pm | Link

That was Mark Vicki, I’m Bob 🙂

I would have a different view to Mark, I think the Australian job market is as flat as its been for about the last 10 years, so I don’t think getting a job is ever going to be easy. That said, Mark, I know, does have experience in this field and I believe he has answered you based on the quite natural assumption that you are a schoolteacher, but, as he has also suggested, it will depend on what you are experienced at.

I think it will pay you to do some thorough research though, my pages Getting a Job or a Sponsorship and…

…can help you with that. Good luck, Bob

• yadvinder singh December 23, 2016, 4:59 pm | Link

Hello sir
    My state nomination was unsuccessful last month because of employment evidence .can u please guide me for job 242211 vocational education non trades .I am a Lecture in a diploma college
    Please guide me

• BobinOz December 23, 2016, 9:43 pm | Link

No, I can’t help you with that, you would need to speak to a MARA registered migration agent about your options. See Would I Qualify?

• Richard Barling December 18, 2016, 6:20 pm | Link

To rent in Darwin do I need a residents visa or can I come and go on a tourist visa?

• BobinOz December 19, 2016, 7:29 pm | Link

Interesting question, I’m not really sure whether you legally need to have a certain status in order to rent here, but I suspect most landlords would be looking to rent to somebody with a reasonably solid temporary type of visa.

If you are flitting out of the country and back again and just staying for a few weeks each time, I’m not sure many landlords would like that. They may prefer to rent to more regular tenants who are there all the time, rather than having their property empty for long periods.

So even if there are no legal requirements and you can rent on a tourist visa, it may work against you with many landlords.

• Mark December 23, 2016, 10:04 pm | Link

You can rent on a tourist visa but its likely you wont have other things in place like some form of employment some security for the landlord some evidence of remaining which makes you a worse risk than the person that presents themselves with all intact…Of course we are assuming long term rent if your only talking two three weeks then yes you will be fine but thats not really a contrasted house rental more a holiday rental

• Yousif Khader December 4, 2016, 5:00 pm | Link

Thanks for the information you’ve shared with us. can you please tell us about average earning in Darwin & cost of Living for family with 3 kids,

• Piper November 19, 2016, 12:10 pm | Link

HI!
    Just wondering what the current rent situation is like in Darwin? Im looking at moving by myself, just wondering if it would be better to get a unit/house by myself or to rent a room?

• Brent October 29, 2016, 8:37 pm | Link

Hi. Thanks for sharing info. on Darwin. I am an Agricultural Engineer (Agronomy) and I applied to immigrate to Australia (NT sponsored me). How is the agriculture situation in Darwin?

• BobinOz October 30, 2016, 7:18 pm | Link

I don’t know about that Brent, but hopefully somebody local will be able to help you out. Anybody?

If you don’t get a response, and its work within the agricultural sector that you are looking for, you can always research it on my page called Getting a Job or a Sponsorship

• Ady October 18, 2016, 9:13 pm | Link

Hi BOB, I really appreciate your efforts in sharing the information in detail. I do read it quite often for more information as I am planning to apply for a PR to Australia.
    Most probably I will be choosing Darwin as the place to move to at first. What are your suggestions on job market for Learning & Development professionals in Hospitality industry?
    Looking forward to your assistance.

• BobinOz October 19, 2016, 11:04 pm | Link

Well, there is a reasonable hospitality industry in Darwin I believe, but that’s all I know. I’m afraid you will need to research that one for yourself, my page Getting a Job or a Sponsorship can help you with that. Good luck, Bob

• Susie October 9, 2016, 6:40 pm | Link

Im an aussie living in qld but want to relocate to darwin. Whats the work situation up there this time of the year? Im a cleaner n shop assistant. I wanna go now.

• BobinOz October 10, 2016, 5:48 pm | Link

Sorry Susie, I can’t help with this being in Brisbane. Anybody in Darwin got any ideas about this?

• Rachel October 17, 2016, 4:02 pm | Link

Darwin is just starting the build up to the wet season, so its Hot and super humid. Its called Mango season because Mangoes Crazy!! just make sure you have Air-Conditioning 🙂

• BobinOz October 17, 2016, 7:06 pm | Link

Yes, air-conditioning is a must up in Darwin, that’s for sure. Enjoy your mangoes 🙂

• XEE September 25, 2016, 12:29 pm | Link

Hi there!

What is the cost of living in Darwin like, as compared to say, Perth? In terms of accomodation etc…thanks!!

• BobinOz October 2, 2016, 5:10 pm | Link

I don’t think there will be a great deal in it, but I do know that it appears rental prices are falling rapidly in both cities. See…

Average Rental Prices by Capital Cities in Australia

I’m guessing a bit, simply because I don’t live in either of these places, but I really can’t imagine there is much in it between the two for cost of living.

• Rajat September 23, 2016, 3:21 am | Link

Hey
    I am moving to darwin for hospitality management after my 12th what type of work i will get and what will be the minimum wage rate and how much time it will take to settle down over there .

• BobinOz September 26, 2016, 12:17 am | Link

Minimum wage is about $18-$20 I think but I couldn’t possibly answer your other questions.

• Ashok Kumar August 15, 2016, 11:42 pm | Link

Hi All!!
    I’m Ashok Kumar. I’m a mechanical engineer. Now a days working in a caterpillar company as a lead engineer in design section. I hope to come to Darwin on or before January 2017. I have more than 12 years experience as a mechanical engineer. Pls inform me job opportunities in Darwin.

Best regards