Adelaide

Living in Adelaide

Adelaide CityAdelaide is the capital of South Australia and is Australia’s fifth largest city. It has a population of around 1.29 million people and is situated on the south coast of Australia about 600 km north west of Melbourne. It has a reputation for being calm and relaxed with a feel more like a big town than a city.Adelaide Location Map

It ranks very well according to the Economist Intelligence Unit’s 2014 Liveability Survey, being placed as the fifth most liveable city in the world; impressive. It’s a lofty position which leaves many who live there bewildered, as some of the comments below will illustrate.

The city centre is divided into North Adelaide and Adelaide by the narrow Torrens River. Then both of these central areas are completely surrounded by green park lands which separate the centre from the suburbs. The city is small and compact and easy to navigate being laid out in a grid like fashion. The heart of the city is Victoria Square.

Adelaide claims to be the “20 minutes city”, meaning you can get anywhere within 20 minutes by car. That’s probably a slight exaggeration, but it is an easy city to get around and there is little by the way of traffic jams.

Adelaide and the surrounding areas are a beach goer’s paradise. The city itself sits on the east of the Gulf St. Vincent and is just 10 km away from those sandy shores. West Beach, Henley Beach, Glenelg Beach and Semaphore Beach are all close by and may well be some of the best metropolitan beaches in Australia.

For even more beach options, jump into the car and head north for about an hour and a half. You can then begin to explore over 700 km of beaches on the York Peninsula. Take your pick, there’s plenty to choose from. If you want to drive your car on a beach, go to North Beach at Wallaroo.

If that’s not enough for you, take a trip out to Kangaroo Island, just a short ferry trip about an hour and a half’s drive south from the city. Enjoy the natural wildlife of the island, kangaroos, penguins, koalas, wallabies, goannas and a lot more.

Oh, and Adelaide is also internationally recognised for its winemaking at vineyards such as those at the Barossa Valley and Coonawarra regions.

Sounds nice doesn’t it?

What’s the weather like?

Adelaide Annual Weather ChartAdelaide’s climate has been described as “Mediterranean” and summers can be extremely hot but what is most notable of all, is how dry it is. It’ll play havoc with your skin.

Summers are really sunny but winter is not so good, being quite cold and dull with a fair bit of rain.

The heat and the dryness do, of course, indicate the dangers of bushfires. Other severe weather would include thunderstorms and gales.

Here’s a map of Adelaide with the location of each of those areas:

Adelaide Map
Adelaide can be broken down into five main areas:

• Inner Adelaide – includes City, Inner North, Inner South, Inner East and Inner West
  • North Adelaide – includes Port Adelaide Area, Outer North East and Outer North
  • South Adelaide – includes Outer South
  • East Adelaide – includes Adelaide Hills
  • West Adelaide – includes Glenelg and Brighton

Questions about Adelaide?

If you have any question about living in Adelaide, please please feel free to ask them in the comments below. Or if you know this city well, why not tell us what you think of it or maybe even help out by answering some of the questions people have about the area. I’m sure anybody thinking of moving here would be very grateful for any help you can give them.

It's good to share...Share on Facebook51Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on Google+7Share on Reddit0Pin on Pinterest2Share on StumbleUpon0
  • Heidi July 24, 2017, 11:16 am | Link

I, we are looking at relocating from Sydney’s Northern Beaches to Adelaide. We would love to be close to the beach. I have a high schooler and one in primary. Can someone please advise me on good schools as both my children are top scholars. We are looking at Henley beach all the way south to Hallett cove. Please give me advise one the better areas. Thank you.

• Gareth July 24, 2017, 12:44 pm | Link

All good areas, probably dearer at Henley, Brighton and Glenelg than the other areas, Hallett Cove has become a bit bumpier in the past ten or so years so I would probably halt the search at Hove. Hove and Brighton are on the bus and train route to the city, Glenelg on the tram and bus route to the city and Henley only busses. Because they are beach side and high socio economic you have better resources and facilities, but also higher rates and costs. Further North to West Beach is good also. Lots of private schools as well as public, really best to get on to Facebook and jin the local community pages and ask about the schools and get more factual information there, as well as using the school search feature I posted a few months back.

• Hesham July 22, 2017, 12:47 am | Link

Hi everyone,
    Finally i got my Visa to move to Australia…Now is the moment of truth. I am bound to Adelaide because of my visa class.
    I am an Architect & project manager with 20+ years of international experience. Can any one give me an advice about an effective way to find a job in the construction industry in Adelaide?

• BobinOz July 24, 2017, 7:03 pm | Link

Most people appear to be saying that the job market in Adelaide is very difficult, a lot of people end up working in jobs that are not related to their qualifications in the end.

If someone can offer you some help with your question, I’m sure they will, but if you don’t get any response it may simply be that no one knows of an effective way to find a job in the construction industry in Adelaide.

The only help I can offer is found on my page called Getting a Job or a Sponsorship.

• krishnamurthy June 26, 2017, 8:38 pm | Link

Hi All

I am planning to move to Adelaide in August 2017 from Bangalore India. My work area will be in Gepps Cross. I will be moving with my wife and 2 kids (8 years and 1.8 years). Could you please tell which are better schools for them and also which area do you suggest for Residential purpose.

What do you think is a GOOD salary in Adelaide with reasonable amount of savings.

• Prashanth June 25, 2017, 11:14 pm | Link

I am having a State Sponsored PR (subclass 190) for which I need to work and live in South Australia for first 2 years.

I am planning to move to Adelaide from India, shortly (or may take few months).
    I am in IT sector (Software Programmer/Software Engineer category) and analyzing the market over there. I will come to know the real situation when I land there.

Could you please help me to know the suburbs with Indian locality which is accessible by train or any mode of public transport? I will be seaching job over there for first few days and so affording for taxi goes beyond my budget 🙂 So, depending only on train or city bus.
    Moreover, preferring Indian suburbs because I can get some customized Indian grocery as well.

• BobinOz June 26, 2017, 8:50 pm | Link

This post will help you find where the vast majority of Indians migrate to in Adelaide…

But I will need to leave it to the locals to let you know about trains and buses. I do know that the job market is particularly tough in Adelaide a moment, is very hard to get a job, especially for new migrants. Good luck with your search though, Bob

• Prashanth June 26, 2017, 10:03 pm | Link

Thank you, Bob.

• Rajan June 27, 2017, 4:17 am | Link

Hi Prashanth,

This is Rajan from India. I am planning to move to Adelaide and have applied for a state sponsored PR as well. Could you please tell how much time did it take to get PR?

Rajan

• vikrant June 23, 2017, 5:23 pm | Link

Hi, Bob
    As i am migrating to Adelaide and want to ask you that which suburbs are best and safe to live and where i should never live ?

• BobinOz June 23, 2017, 9:16 pm | Link

That’s a question that has been asked many many many many many times on this page, and been answered quite a lot as well. Adelaide is a pretty safe place to live all round, but if I recall there are some areas that aren’t as good as others, I think north of Adelaide, around Elizabeth or something.

Have a good read of the comments already made here by so many people, you will find a lot of good information about the suburbs and where to live.

• Christiane June 20, 2017, 12:34 am | Link

Me an my partner are moving to Adelaide in August. I will work at UniSA in Mawson Lakes and my partner at a company close by. Can anybody tell me what living in Mawson Lakes is like? To me the neighborhood looks a bit sterile and pretty far away from the CBD. I also looked at areas like Clearview, Lightsview, Northgate. Can anybody comment on these suburbs or recommend another one? We are a couple 35 and 42 years old, no kids, we like restaurants and bars in walking distance or a short drive by public transport away.

Cheers

• BobinOz June 21, 2017, 7:52 pm | Link

Personally I don’t know Adelaide at all well, but I can tell you that Mawson Lakes has been mentioned many times in the comments below, and by and large it seems to get the thumbs up. One person mentioned that it’s quite cosmopolitan, so you might get a good choice of restaurants 🙂

Do have a skim through these comments here, I’m sure you will learn a lot about the area you’re looking at. Cheers, Bob

• Chris July 6, 2017, 11:18 am | Link

Hi Christiane,
      Mawson Lakes is a bit sterile but I think it would be ok for you. Bars and Restaurants are not close. North Adelaide or city probably best but it depends on what you are used to. Both of the best. Northgate is another new suburb similar to Mawson Lakes. Mawson has water canals, shops, businesses, uni, cafes, restaurants. An enclosed village.

Cheers Chris

• Navin D May 12, 2017, 1:48 am | Link

Hello experts,
    First off, this forum is equipped with very good information…

I am planning to move to Adelaide mid-June…I’m from Mumbai, India and currently employed as a Senior Operations Manager in the KPO/BPO/ITES industry. Can anyone share any information as to where such organizations are based in or around Adelaide? So that I can plan my stay within these localities…Thank you!

• BobinOz May 12, 2017, 5:36 pm | Link

Well, you lost me when you mentioned the KPO/BPO/ITES industry. I have no idea what that is 🙂 hopefully a local will be able to help you out though.

• Navin D May 12, 2017, 9:07 pm | Link

To elaborate, I have experience in; a) Call center management, b) Customer Service Management. ITES experience involves managing teams providing Digital services support such as Analytics, Email Marketing and Online Operations.

• BobinOz May 15, 2017, 4:56 pm | Link

In the absence of anybody local giving you more specific knowledge, you can always research job opportunities for what you do on my page Getting a Job or a Sponsorship as well as finding out the locality of potential employers. Good luck, Bob

• Giancarlo May 2, 2017, 2:33 pm | Link

Hello Bob,
    I will be moving to Adelaide this August with my girlfriend, we will both be doing post graduate studies at the University of Adelaide. We are wondering what is a good area to rent for a young couple, will living close to the beach be to far away from school? maybe some locals can recommend some areas to look at. Also getting a car makes sense? thanks for any advice we can get.
    Giancarlo

• BobinOz May 3, 2017, 8:02 pm | Link

I think public transport in Adelaide is pretty good, so maybe you might not need that car. I’m pretty sure there are plenty of suburbs close the beach and good schools as well, but hopefully a local will be able to give you better advice than I can. Good luck, Bob

• josh May 6, 2017, 9:08 pm | Link

actually public transport is not that great in adelaide, unless you live on a tram or rail line, just saying if you want to study and be on time for lectures, you will need a car

• BobinOz May 8, 2017, 6:23 pm | Link

Fair point Josh. Adelaide’s public transport seemed okay to me, but then I was sticking to the main routes which are covered by the transportation system. Even then, after about three or four days, we rented a car so we could go and explore the Adelaide Hills and other areas.

• David May 8, 2017, 8:23 pm | Link

Indeed, there are many exceptional areas to explore around Adelaide that are only really acessible if you have a car.

• Bhawna April 29, 2017, 5:24 am | Link

I am hoping you can help me with my query. I am permanently moving to Adelaide from Abu Dhabi with my 7-year-old son in September this year. I hold a permanent residency for Australia. My husband will be accompanying me for about a month, and then he will head back to Abu Dhabi since he hasn’t quit his job yet (till he can find a suitable placement in Adelaide, we don’t want to cut off our main source of income).

Once we land, we would like to start looking at renting an apartment /unit, mostly in Glenelg for at least a year or two. May I ask what sort of documents are required in Adelaide, to secure a lease for an apartment for folks coming in fresh off the plane, without any prior rental history in Adelaide or Australia in general.
    Also, please could you advice of some good public/private schools in Glenelg.

Thanks & Regards
    Bhawna

• BobinOz May 2, 2017, 6:23 pm | Link

Well, for the house rental, I always suggest providing as much documentation as you possibly can given that you have no rental history in Australia. Basically, each decision to rent is based on its own merits and the final decision is always with the landlord whether to rent or not and often they will have a choice of applicants.

So if you can, provide bank statements, provide proof of income, proof of visa showing how long you are able to stay in Australia, and if you have it, proof of up-to-date mortgage or rental payments from previous poperties you have lived in, even though they are not in Australia. If you can get a reference from your mortgage company or previous landlord, that might help as well.

When you speak to the rental agency, just ask them if there’s anything else they need to make their decision and they’ll tell you if there is additional information you can supply.

As for schools, I personally don’t know that area well, but my page Which school? will help you do some research.

Good luck, and welcome to Adelaide.

• Why July 3, 2017, 10:02 am | Link

Very wise decision Bhawna of your husband staying back in Abu Dhabi. Life is awfully tough in Adelaide when it comes to getting a job. The locals are finding it tough, so you can imagine the plight of the migrants with firms shutting shop across the land. The place is beautiful, kids will have no pressure in their studies till 9th or 10th grade.. Test the place for some time, don’ t be taken in by the freebies and funding. If you want to be truly independent have a good circle of friends for you and kids, dine out without having to look at the tab, shop for good premium stuff without burning your wallet – you have better options to go to.
      That is it. Check out the place and then decide. Good luck

• Bhawna July 3, 2017, 1:02 pm | Link

Hi Why

Thank you for your feedback.

Regards
        Bhawna

• Kerrie Gaelen April 26, 2017, 5:38 am | Link

I’m going to be moving back to Adelaide sometime this year after 30 years away. I’m hoping to buy eventually but need somewhere cheap to stay for a month or 3 and would appreciate any feedback or suggestions. I would want somewhere cheap and quiet, house sitting could be an option. Look forward to hearing suggestions, and thanks in advance

• BobinOz April 27, 2017, 5:21 pm | Link

House sitting does happen here, especially when people would like someone to look after their pets while they are away. I’m sure if you Google it there will be a house sitting or pet sitting website to help you connect with house owners.

You could also try looking at rooms to rent in ‘gumtree’, which again you can Google, it’s an online publication and lots of people advertise rooms to rent in there. Hope that helps and welcome back 🙂

• Kerrie Gaelen April 27, 2017, 10:31 pm | Link

Thanks RobinOz, I did know of those sites but thanks, I’m hoping to find a more private way of finding a place to live short term, like a granny flat or something. In the UK there are sites like, “Streetlife” which is like a free community site where people can ask questions, advertise local events, give away or sell stuff or advertise accomodation, do you know if there are any sites like that in Adelaide?

• BobinOz April 28, 2017, 6:22 pm | Link

No, I don’t, but I’m sure something like that will exist and Google will help you track it down. Good luck, Bob

• Kamoru Lawal April 21, 2017, 9:06 pm | Link

Hi everyone. I will be moving to Adelaide in June this year. I will like to know an average expense of an international student in Adelaide. Can an international student survive on a monthly stipend of AUS2,000 (Two Thousand Australian Dollars) per month bearing in mind the accommodation costs and other expenses per/week? Any candid advice will be appreciated.

I will also like to know if as a student it is advisable to stay in a student accommodation or to stay in a suburb?

• Scott April 22, 2017, 1:27 pm | Link

Hello Kamoru
      I am a local adult student, my living expenses per week are around $450, that includes rent $170, food, fuel, car rego, coffees, insurance, phone credit, gym, and a couple of fines/loans. With $500 per week you should have some money left to save.
      It really depends on your expenses, I heard the student accommodation at university is nice, but expensive. You can find a student share house or lease a room from someone between $150 to $200 per week including all bills and internet in a good suburb.
      Without my fines or loans my expenses would be only $400 per week and my food bill is high around $150 per week, as I buy ready made meals which are $10 each. Living in Australia can get expensive but $500 per week is easy living.

• Kamoru April 22, 2017, 6:57 pm | Link

Many thanks for your response. You have indeed provided me with key information.
        What suburb will you suggest taking into consideration ease of access to the CBD?

• Scott April 22, 2017, 11:45 pm | Link

Hello
          Really there are so many, anything from 15 to 20kms from city close to train or bus. I would suggest suburbs in the Unley council area or Charles Sturt council area.
          Although it depends if you are going to Flinders University which is not close to the city.

• Paul April 20, 2017, 3:25 pm | Link

Hi Carol

Welcome to Adelaide.

No disrespect intended, but book into a reasonable motel (close to a bus route to the City) after your week at the AirBnB (or stay longer at the AirBnB if cheaper/convenient)

Negotiate a preferential rate for week 2 and week 3.

There’s NO NEED to rush things.

Your priorities are:

• get a local sim-card & local number
    • open a bank account or credit union account (cheaper)
    • get on-line
    • get a Tax File Number (TFN) from the Australian Tax Office
    • if you need any info – simply visit a public library, even those in the suburbs are superb / well-resourced & FREE
    • get over your jet-lag (allow four days – you make decisions based on sound mind)
    • hire a car for a week, minimum – including two weekends, and use this time to explore N, E, S & W of the Adelaide CBD max. 15km in each direction
    • visit 6 government primary schools only, pop in (it is school holidays at the moment, but someone may be there – ask if they have room for a little girl for the 3rd term, and ask questions (mention the situation you are in, with honesty … and you may strike it lucky) – just avoid the NW, and due N
    • ask if the primary school is a feeder school to a local high school (makes like easier when high school looms – guaranteed transition, etc.)
    • don’t worry about private schools (too expensive) – my kids (both RSA-born) went through government schools from nursery school – my daughter is now a 3rd year law student, and my son is about to join the Police … both honourable career paths!
    • the schools in the east and south-east (relative to the CBD) are difficult to get into – rigidly zoned, and these are expensive areas to rent in too, unfortunately
    • if you are likely to work in or near the CBD, ensure that you can drop your child off at school ON YOUR WAY to work, so you can do the reverse on your way (to your future home)
    • setting aside $400 for weekly rent is a bit too generous – you could get away with $280 – $300, and use the savings to fund after-school care costs (which are prohibitive), and living costs
    • make friends with your daughter’s school-going friends’ parents …. it’s the best way to do things moving forward in these early days as a migrant
    • allow time for yourself

Look at permutations regarding the proximity of the school to a bus route or a train station – for instance, you could take a bus to school with your daughter, walk her to school from the bus-stop, then jump back on a bus / or take the nearby train to work. Make sure you can get back to after school care well before 6pm. There are park & ride options to consider too, eg. along the O-Bahn (unique light bus/rail track system from CBD to the NE, or on other train routes.

If you are a migrant, visit, ideally in person (and with all your documents) https://www.sa.gov.au/topics/housing/contacts/housing-sa-contacts who will be able to give you some excellent advice. We spent 4 months in a housing trust house, especially for migrants. Electricity, gas and water included in $250 per week rental. Massive savings over market rates.

My wife and I went through all this 18 years ago – things may have changed a bit, but I (ex-SA too) am talking from hands-on experience. We survived. You will also be OK.

Good luck

• BobinOz April 21, 2017, 5:45 pm | Link

Some excellent advice here Paul, very useful to anybody moving to Australia but particularly useful for those coming to Adelaide. I’m sure many of my readers will find it very useful.

Thanks for taking the time to be so helpful. Cheers, Bob

• Carol April 19, 2017, 2:44 am | Link

Moving to Adelaide next week (gulp!) with my 8yo daughter (single mum here).

1. Looking to rent a fully furnished house/unit with rental of no more than $400/week. Any recommendations of areas please? I’ve been told to look at Glenside, but would appreciate other options too.

Would also need to be within the catchment area of a decent government primary school.

2. I’ve also been told to look at schools FIRST and then at rentals. Does this make any sense? As I’ll be staying in an AirBnB for the first week, and was told that my AirBnB host will be able to provide me with a letter to back up my address which I can use to register my daughter at school.

Any advice/leads will be much appreciated. Thanks 🙂

• Scott April 19, 2017, 10:44 am | Link

Hi Carol
      Where are you moving from? If you want to be closer to the beach I would recommend anywhere in the Holdfast Bay Council area, or Charles Sturt area. Glenside is really nice, basically all of the eastern suburbs are nice, $400 is a reasonable budget, however I am not sure where the furnished places are. You can try realestate.com. That is the best site.

• Carol April 19, 2017, 4:30 pm | Link

Hi Scott,

I’ll be moving from Indonesia. Yup have looked at realestate.com but I guess online; everything looks pretty – or at least that’s the picture painted.

Haven’t thought of living close to the beach as I have this ‘fear’ – should a natural disaster strike from the sea – I’ll be homeless. LOL

• Gareth April 19, 2017, 7:26 pm | Link

Hi Carol, we (people in SA) live in a gulf, whilst rising seas is a concern around Glenelg and West Beach and all the glamorous ‘burbs north of there, southern beaches aren’t as affected. And there will never be a tidal wave so you can put those fears to rest. And sharks don’t catch trams.

• Carol April 19, 2017, 11:32 pm | Link

Hhahahahha…..that’s a relief Gareth 🙂

Looks like more areas have opened up for me

Thanks 🙂

• AFAQ April 19, 2017, 1:26 am | Link

hi I am from INDIA I am planning to move to Adelaide my wife she is student and got admission in Adelaide University for Masters Please help me to know which will be best place for me to stay in Adelaide.

• asad April 18, 2017, 11:24 pm | Link

Hi guys! I have been accepted in flinders just wanna know what type of a place is Adelaide is it as much good as Sydney and Melbourne. Also if someone can help me guide about accommodation part-time job etc.

• BobinOz April 19, 2017, 12:00 am | Link

Well, it’s impossible to say whether Adelaide is as ‘good’ as Sydney or Melbourne, they are just entirely different cities and everybody would have their own different thoughts about that. For accommodation ideas though, you are in luck. Just glance your eyes slightly downwards to the comments below here to see a discussion between Christophe, Paul and David, I’m sure you’ll find it very helpful.

• Scott April 19, 2017, 10:47 am | Link

Hi Asad
      Adelaide is less than 1/3 of the population of Sydney or Melbourne. Public transport not as good/frequent although allot less traffic if you have a car. Adelaide is more a relaxed slower paced city, the bigger cities have better night life and feel more alive (lots of people around). All places have good education universities so it is really up to your lifestyle.
      Also Melbourne does not have very nice beaches unless you drive out of town, Adelaide and Sydney have nice beaches.

• Christophe Lourenço April 18, 2017, 6:55 am | Link

What a great article!
    My wife and I are moving to Adelaide from France in August and we’re looking for a good neighborhood if you don’t mind giving us a hand.
    She’ll be working at Finders University, that is to say quite far South to the city center.
    Would you please know the right neighborhood for us, knowing that we’d like to be close to the city center, have some shops around and be able to reach Flinders University via public transportation?
    The idea here is to avoid being stuck in a residential block without anything to do at the end of the day, as we’re a young married couple (30 years old) with no children.
    I’m sincerely grateful for your help and all the precious information you’re giving us.
    Take care,
    Chris

• Paul Timson April 18, 2017, 10:16 am | Link

Hi Chris

Being at Flinders, you could consider the beachside suburbs of Christies Beach, Hallett Cove, Marino or anywhere along the Southern seafront. Prices will be a bit higher naturally. If you want to be a bit closer to the Adelaide CBD, try Melrose Park, St. Mary’s or surrounds ? Adelaide and suburbs have a good ‘Coffee Culture’ and despite what some Eastern Staters might try and tell you, there is plenty to see and do for a couple with no children, although It will have the feel of a big country town, rather than the hectic pace of a large ‘world’ city.
      No where is really far here, you can travel by car from ‘way out North, to way out South’ in a bit over an hour to an hour and a half.
      Cheers, Paul

• Chris April 18, 2017, 10:48 pm | Link

Hi Paul,
        I’ve taken good notes of your answer, thank you so much for your time!
        I appreciate the gesture, sincerely.
        Ozly yours,
        Chris

• David April 18, 2017, 11:51 am | Link

Hi Christophe,

I know the transport options to Flinders University quite well, the Tonsley railway line will be extended to the Flinders precinct within the next few months, so I would recommend suburbs along the Tonsley line so you don’t have to change trains or buses.

Maybe you could have a look at accommodation options around Goodwood or Adelaide Showgrounds railway stations, or any of the stations between Adelaide Showgrounds and Tonsley. I think you would find all of those areas very safe and convenient to lots of entertainment and leisure options.

Otherwise, there are two bus routes that will travel from the city to Flinders Uni along Goodwood Road, which is a very desirable area along the stretch between Greenhill Road and Cross Road. Though the bus can be a bit slow. There is also a bus route that travels to Flinders Uni along South Road, but they are a little more infrequent (half hourly during the day I believe).

If I were in a similar situation I would consider a residential apartment in the Adelaide CBD. The North Western part of the CBD is convenient to the Adelaide Railway Station and is becoming quite popular. Some of the laneways have been closed to traffic and are becoming known for their bars and restaurants.

If you decide to have a car, you’ll find that parking at Flinders Uni is quite cheap for staff and students, currently $175 per year which your wife may be able to salary sacrifice to get a small tax advantage. During busy periods of the year however, parks are difficult to find, since it really is a case of ‘the early bird gets the worm’.

• Chris April 18, 2017, 10:53 pm | Link

Hi David,
        What a great answer! Thank you very much for your help!
        My wife and I have taken your advice into consideration and thanks to you it’ll be easier for us to choose an area to settle down.
        We’re looking forward to leaving France and exploring Oz!
        Take care,
        Chris

• hayley April 15, 2017, 5:01 am | Link

hi all just looking for some advice moving from Liverpool Uk!! Really need a good suburb for a family of 4! i need to be within reach of the women and childrens hospital, with a good primary and high school for my kids age 10 and 12…looking to rent initially?! My salary will be double that of the Uk but my partner hasnt secured work as of yet…he works for DHL here and will be willing to take anything? any advice will be gratefully received thanks in advance!!
    hayl x

• Paul Timson April 18, 2017, 12:22 pm | Link

Hi Hayley, having a daughter now 25 who was born with only one working kidney, I have had a long association with the WCH. We live just outside the Adelaide city centre at Tranmere. I would suggest any of the North Eastern suburbs would be good, Burnside, Maylands, Magill, Klemzig (not in any particular order!) would give you access to most amenities. Schools such as Pulteney Grammer, St. Ignatius, Rostrevor College (all Private) as well as a number of good State School in the general area. Also good shopping at Norwood Parade, the CBD itself, or Tea Tree Plaza?
      It takes me about 10 – 15 minutes to drive to the Hospital from my place in moderate traffic. Hope this helps? Cheers, Paul T.

• Ken D April 15, 2017, 12:16 am | Link

This question is open to anyone.
    Ive got a job offer both in memorial hospital and st. andrews hospital in Adelaide, however I dont know which one is better. I am a theatre nurse specialising in ortho and interested to be trained in neurosurgery as well, the websites doesnt help much. And if anyone have insights in both hospitals, feel free to comment pls. Thanks

• Paul T. April 18, 2017, 9:55 pm | Link

Hi Ken
      In my 60’s I have been a patient at both! (Lol) Both are good Private Hospitals. Personally I found St. Andrews a tad more modern. Being on the Southern Terrace of Adelaide (furthest away from the main shopping heart of the CBD), and bordered by Parklands on two sides, Car parking is easier.
      Memorial Hospital is close the Womens & Childrens Hospital in North Adelaide a kilometre or so North of the main CBD. The buildings are quite old, but it is nice inside. Both are so much better than the (old) Royal Adelaide Hospital, soon to be put in mothballs as the beautiful New Royal Adelaide Hospital is due to open shortly.
      As I said, just a patients perspective, but if it was me, I would probably choose St. Andrews.
      Cheers, Paul.

• Rajan April 2, 2017, 11:41 pm | Link

Hello Bob,

I am planning to move to Adelaide with my wife and two kids (7 and 2 years old) on a state nominated visa (subclass 190). Considering the current job scenario, I would like to know if in case I’m not able to find a job for myself, will I be allowed to start my own business, invest in or buy a small business with this visa?

If yes, then will it be possible for you or someone on the forum to point out or suggest some good small scale business opportunities to go after.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Rajan

• BobinOz April 4, 2017, 7:42 pm | Link

I’m afraid this is a question I’m not legally allowed to answer, only MARA registered migration agents can legally explain what can and cannot be done on the various visa types.

If you drill down into subclass 190 visas on the government’s immigration website, you may find the answer there, if not then I think there is no harm in you asking your case officer about this situation. Somebody else might read this and have an opinion though, particularly in terms of what kind of small business might be worth looking into in the area, so it’s worth keeping an eye on your comment to see if it gets any more replies.

• Gareth April 4, 2017, 10:06 pm | Link

From experience with a Korean lady that used to work for me and couldn’t get a job in her, she found a business owner who wanted to sell up, so he sponsored her, and then after a duration of time she bought the business. Whether this was entirely legal or not, I don’t know, but she had her PR now.

• Rajan April 10, 2017, 2:05 pm | Link

Thank you Bob and Gareth for taking out time and your reply.

I’ve checked the government immigration website and other related sites and what I can understand is that, with skilled visa subclass 190 you’re allowed to live and work in Australia. But, it is not written anywhere whether you can or cannot be self employed or own a business there.

As suggested, I’ll check with my case officer as well and update here in case if I find out more on this.

Thank you once again.

Rajan

• BobinOz April 10, 2017, 9:04 pm | Link

Thanks Rajan, and yes, if you get an answer, do let us know.

• Prashanth June 13, 2017, 10:42 pm | Link

Hi Rajan,

Me too having a State Sponsored PR (subclass 190) and it states that it is allowed to live and work in Australia. However, what I heard from my Case Officer is that, it is the ‘moral responsibility’ to stick towards the state, unless you are not able to get a suitable job.

I am planning to move to Adelaide from India, shortly (or may take few months).
      I am in IT sector (Software Programmer category) and analyzing the market over there. I will come to know the real situation when I land there.

Please post your comments or email me on any updates on a suburb to live, access to rail network, living cost, etc. This would be very helpful to me.

Thank you.

• Lakshmi March 31, 2017, 2:06 am | Link

How is life for an international student in Adelaide?

• BobinOz March 31, 2017, 6:17 pm | Link

That’s a question I can’t answer, but hopefully somebody who has had experience as an international student in Adelaide will see your comment and give you some kind of insight.

• malcolm March 28, 2017, 7:39 am | Link

Interview with ABC, skilled migration and the SA gov skills list

• BobinOz March 28, 2017, 7:53 pm | Link

Wow, that’s a fascinating set of interviews. Refreshing to hear people saying it as it is without any of the sugar coating.

A woman from Iran with a degree in agriculture working polishing nails in a bar. An expert admitting that SA population needs to be propped up and that migration is a good way of doing it, especially as each family tends to bring around $30,000-$40,000 to spend when they get here, which is great for the economy. Another expert admitting that the skills lists are a couple of years out of date. Even the suggestion of possible racism as most employers tend to prefer to give jobs to people with local knowledge and education. I.e., Australians.

Essential listening to any prospective migrant thinking of South Australia, even if it isn’t at all encouraging. Thanks for posting it Malcolm, Bob

• Kamoru Lawal March 28, 2017, 2:50 am | Link

I have gone gone through the various comments on this forum. I will be moving from Nigeria to Adelaide in May this year. I am interested in getting some work to support myself. I will like to how to get something done. Furthermore, my wife and two children will be joining me in October this year. Any information that will assist me in settling down in Adelaide will be appreciated.
    I have heard a lot of gist about the city and wonder if all these gist about Adelaide is really true.

• BobinOz March 28, 2017, 7:32 pm | Link

Well, if you’ve gone through the comments here, you will know that getting a job is something that most people have had a great deal of difficulty doing. Obviously that very much depends on what you do for a living, you don’t say, but the advice others seem to have given here is it doesn’t matter what you usually do, just take any kind of work that you can get to earn a bit of money.

You can search for jobs via my page called Getting a Job or a Sponsorship.

• Kamoru Lawal March 28, 2017, 9:43 pm | Link

Thank you very much for your response. It is appreciated.

• Helen March 27, 2017, 6:31 pm | Link

We are moving to Adelaide from country Victoria. Looking at properties in Hallet Cove. Wondering how windy it gets there compared to say glenelg or brighton.

• BobinOz March 28, 2017, 7:16 pm | Link

This is one I will most definitely have to leave to the locals Helen, I have no idea. Anyone know anything about this?

• Francois March 22, 2017, 7:43 am | Link

So I am moving to Adelaide before the end of the year. I am a South African, was wondering if I would fit in and if I would be received well by the locals?

thanx!!

• Gareth March 22, 2017, 11:01 am | Link

Hi Francois,

There is a strong vibrant SA community around Adelaide, I have several SA friends. You won’t have any issue moving here, just convert to supporting the Aussies in the cricket quickly 😉 Here’s a group I’m part of

• Francois March 23, 2017, 3:13 am | Link

Hi Gareth,

Thank you so much for the feedback. Thats awesome news, I will be working for SA ambulance service as a paramedic, so I will be in contact with all the locals and was just interested in how they will react towards a Saffer in Adelaide.

• Mukesh March 19, 2017, 5:44 pm | Link

I am planning to move to Adelaide sometime in July 2017 along with wide and 2 kids.
    Elder son will be going to 6th grade and younger to 2nd.
    1. Will it be a hassle getting them enrolled in school in mid session.
    2. What do the public schools require from students migrating to Australia
    An early reply from anyone who is in the know of things will be highly appreciated.

• BobinOz March 19, 2017, 8:54 pm | Link

No, it shouldn’t be a problem. My understanding is that the state school within the catchment area for wherever it is you end up living has a responsibility to offer your children a place immediately.

As for what they will need from you, as far as I can remember it is just your Centrelink (that’s more or less our welfare services) number so one of the first things you need to do when you arrive here is register with them. Apart from that they might need proof of address to check you are in the catchment area, but I don’t think you will need anything else.

Best thing to do though would need to contact the local school as soon as you arrive, or before if you know where you’re going to be living. Good luck, Bob

• Mukesh Issar April 19, 2017, 9:36 pm | Link

Thanks Bob.

• Raghu March 19, 2017, 9:06 pm | Link

It should not be a hassle at all from my experience. Schools will be closed till July 3rd week.and will be able to do your enrollment in the week that they open after the break.
      Please contact the schools anyway and let them know you are coming. They will require proof of residence before they enroll your children. So do the research in where you want to live and write to schools in the zone.
      I came with my 3 kids last July and did not have a major issue getting them enrolled

• Mukesh Issar April 19, 2017, 9:38 pm | Link

Thanks Raghu, I am sure kids will be able to do well in the school interview.
        I am also interested to know areas where more Indians are living in Adelaide.

• BobinOz April 20, 2017, 9:18 pm | Link

Ah, I can help with that.

If you want to know where the highest percentage of Indians are living in Adelaide, or any of our major cities, check out the following post…

• Raghuram Ramachandran April 21, 2017, 3:13 am | Link

Fortunately there is no Indian ghetto in Adelaide. We are spread all over. Having said that, I am only 9 months old here and may not have the answer to your question. Havent felt the need to go searching for an Indian location bcos it doesn’t matter. Look for locations with good schools and reasonably priced Accommodation. The rest will fall in place.

• Raghu March 20, 2017, 2:55 am | Link

A certain degree of English language ability is all they require. Even if that is not up to the expectation of the school, it will mean a few months in a school with special focus on English like for example
      When we came in July 2016 we brought all the certificates and a transfer certificate. We were not asked for any old school documents for my kids who go to year 11, 6 and 1.
      So they don’t miss a lot of school, make sure you have the tenancy contract ready to show in the zoned school the day they open after the winter break
      Write to me separately if you want- went thro this for my kids last year when we came in the middle of July

• Mukesh Issar April 19, 2017, 9:34 pm | Link

Thanks Raghu. Please give your email, i shall write to you with more specific queries.

• Raghuram Ramachandran April 21, 2017, 3:16 am | Link

Raghu1972(at)hotmail.com

Edited to prevent spam bots scraping your email address.

• Disha April 19, 2017, 1:29 am | Link

Hi Mukesh- We are also planning to move to adelaide. Please share your mobile number so we can connect. Thank You

• Mukesh Issar April 19, 2017, 9:32 pm | Link

8130543257

• Christiane March 14, 2017, 6:48 pm | Link

Hi all,

can anybody comment on the water quality in Adelaide? Does the tap water have drinking quality? Do the suburbs have different water qualities? And are there often water restrictions in Adelaide?

• Gareth March 14, 2017, 8:24 pm | Link
      • Christiane March 17, 2017, 1:54 am | Link

Thanks for the answer and the link. There is really a lot of info about the water quality in there and the water seems to be safe to drink but do people actually do it? I read several times about a funny smell in the Adelaide water. Is it a chlorine smell or what?

• Gareth March 17, 2017, 8:17 am | Link

Yes people drink it, the quality varies for region to region depending on the water source as the article explains. some times they have natural occurring quality issues in the reservoirs and may have to dose the water differently to compensate for it. There used to be time where I couldn’t drink the water without gagging, but we have a water filter/softener, as most South Australians do, and drink it straight from the tap. In saying that, I was in Queenslad earlier this year and was served tap water in a restaurant and could smell the chlorine and gagged at the taste, so water quality isn’t a state issue, its every where. Would I drink the water straight from the tap in India, or Indonesia? Hell no. water quality and safety is paramount here in Australia, as everything else overseen by the government. I wouldn’t give it a second thought.

• Raghu March 19, 2017, 9:07 pm | Link

Fantastic quality of water. My family drinks tap water and we haven’t had any problems at all

• Mona March 3, 2017, 5:17 pm | Link

Hi everyone ,we are going to move to Adelaide next week.At the moment we are staying in singapore.Just wonder where to choose to live there? Is there any preffered place?

• BobinOz March 3, 2017, 8:14 pm | Link

That depends what your preferences are Mona, there is no one place that is preferred by everybody. I suggest you have a good read through all the comments here, there’s lots of talk about the suburbs and what they are like. I’m sure you will find it very helpful.

• Pat February 23, 2017, 6:47 pm | Link

Steer clear of Adelaide. It’s a rotten city. The winters are cold and the summers blazing lay hot. To add to this misery, the air is very dry, which wrecks havoc with your skin. The traffic system is horrendous. There are very few flyovers, resulting in hundreds of traffic lights and roundabouts. It’s traffic gridlock every working morning and evening. The roads are very poorly maintained, and the water pipes have not been replaced in a hundred years. This results in frequent broken pipes, which floods streets and homes. Regarding hospitals, it’s a mad house in Adelaide. There are insufficient beds and medical personnel, causing frequent ramping of ambulances. The utility rates are the highest in the whole of Australia, and they keep going up every year. It is difficult to find jobs in Adelaide, and graduates usually move East after graduation. With all these ills, Adelaide should surely be the most backward city of Australia. Do not make the mistake of coming to Adelaide – Brisbane and Perth will be much better cities to live.

• Helen February 25, 2017, 8:34 am | Link

These problems are all relative. Compared to peak hour in Melbourne or Sydney our traffic is like a Sunday drive. Unless there is an accident on the road or roadworks, which hold up traffic anywhere in the world, there is only a short window of time morning and evening where you might find yourself moving slowly in traffic. If you can, you avoid that time or find an alternate route. Roundabouts are not a problem, they are a great way to keep traffic flowing without lights. If you are unfamiliar with them they might seem intimidating but the rules are simple and once you have the hang of it, easy to negotiate if you are an average driver.
      Our country roads are much better than Victoria’s and city infrastructure is being improved. The city is well planned and easy to negotiate.
      There are not that many days where the temperature is over 35C. Of course there are heat waves occasionally but most people just lay low in the airconditioning or spend time at the beautiful beaches when they can. Most homes, shops, cars and schools have Airconditioning. Winter is also relatively mild and of a short duration. Only a handful of days would have a high of less than 10C. That might seem low to someone from Queensland but if you’re from Canada or England it’s just an average day. It doesn’t snow, (except a few high peaks) we have a few days with hail in winter, which usually melts within minutes. Windscreens can get icy at night when it gets very cold. Weather is relatively mild until June and by September we are back to sunny days in the 20s. This year has been wetter and windier than our average which has been nice as it has kept things a lot greener over the hotter and traditionally dry months.
      The news loves to report about burst water mains, probably because there aren’t more exciting problems to report. Politicians love to have something to complain about too. They are being replaced bit by bit. I mean, every city will have to do that at some point right?
      Hospital services are being stretched right now, they are still great hospitals but there are growing pains. If you’re in good health it’s not a problem, children are always given high priority so if there were an emergency you needn’t worry. We have a fantastic Women’s and children’s hospital. I’ve never had bad care for my children there or at Flinders Medical Centre. Yes there have been long waits at times but only if a problem isn’t urgent as of course there is a triage system in place.
      As a life long Adelaidean, when people complain and say we are provincial and not as exciting as Sydney or Melbourne, we will happily suggest they move there as we don’t actually want to be like Sydney or Melbourne and if they can’t see the benefits of our lovely city they should go enjoy the real traffic, long commutes and high prices of those other cities.
      We have a vibrant cultural scene with world class universities, many outstanding markets and festivals, creative minds, city rejuvenation projects, a diverse cultural spectrum, amazing local food to be found everywhere, Eco-friendly focus and community growth and much more happening. I have spent time in Brisbane and Sydney, the traffic and humidity is not for me. I have spent lots of time in Melbourne (lots of family there, who would all rather live in Adelaide but are there for work). It’s a great place to visit but I wouldn’t want to live there.

• Scott February 26, 2017, 10:47 pm | Link

I would only agree that the burst water mains are a joke, and half the 18-24 year old with degrees leave this state because there are not enough opportunities. The job situation is not that great, but the thing with Adelaide is that it’s really only a city that can support a certain population with the infrastructure and jobs, plus there is nothing like a mining industry that would boom cities like Perth or Brisbane.

• Rey March 12, 2017, 8:19 pm | Link

Helen…..thanks for this.
        Would wish to have a chat with you….

• Scott February 26, 2017, 10:44 pm | Link

All cities have their good and bad points, you have just listed some relevant and some your own opinion. It sounds like you could benefit from a visit to a 3rd world country and really see how well we have life in this beautiful country.
      In terms of gridlock I drive Dover Gardens to Regency Park, and barely get in any traffic because I know a way around Marion and South Roads. If you are going into the city it can’t be avoided but that is why public transport exists.

• BobinOz February 27, 2017, 8:46 pm | Link

I’m not surprised people are disagreeing with you on this one Pat, Adelaide has a lot going for it comparatively, even the Economist loves Adelaide…

…has done for years.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, of course, and you have yours. I’m pleased to see though that Helen and Scott have added their opinions as well, because opinions are all that outsiders who don’t know the city have to go on. So the more opinions, the better.

• David February 28, 2017, 6:35 am | Link

I can assure you that right now Adelaide is bursting at the seams with people from around the country and around the world that are here to share their creativity and above all have a great time at the Fringe. It’s a great place to be. We’ll need a few months to recuperate during Winter before the silly season ramps up again!

• BobinOz February 28, 2017, 11:21 pm | Link

Ah, yes, I’d like to be in Adelaide for the Fringe at some point, it’s on my ‘to do’ list. Hope you enjoy.

• jay March 3, 2017, 6:28 am | Link

what about the other 11 months of the year ? What happens then ?

• David March 3, 2017, 8:27 am | Link

There’s always plenty going on. Only boring people get bored. The fringe is an enormous event, probably the biggest festival in any city in Australia. Second only to the Edinburgh Fringe as the largest arts festival in the world. You can’t keep level of intensity going all year in any city.

• Gareth March 3, 2017, 8:43 am | Link

If you are really interested in “what happens the rest of the year” I suggest you look for my post which outlines what happens twelve months of the year, what events are on around the state.

• Ahsan February 16, 2017, 8:29 am | Link

I am living in Sydney for three years n now thinking to relocate in adelaide. Can u suggest me which suburbs are best to live n good for young kids to grow. Low crime rate n all.

• BobinOz February 16, 2017, 8:36 pm | Link

Hi Ahsan,

There is plenty of chat in these comments about good suburbs to live in, as well as talk about some of the suburbs to avoid. Which one is best is impossible to say, because it depends what you want. The vast majority of Adelaide in the surrounds would be good for kids to grow up and have a low crime rate.

I think there are only a few areas to avoid, and as I say, they have been mentioned in these comments. So can I suggest you have a skim through them? I know there are a lot, but they also have a lot of information and I know you will learn much about the suburbs of Adelaide from people who know what it’s like there.

• Valerie Stanton February 11, 2017, 2:11 am | Link

Hubby and i are currently living in Victoria about half an hr from Ballarat. It looks like hubby will be getting a transfer to Adelaide with his job and we are looking at buying a home over there thinking Millicent, Mt Gambier areas. We have stayed in Millicent only a couple of days liked what we saw and did some touring of the area but would really like at getting some insight ups and downs of the area and around Adelaide.

• David February 11, 2017, 6:03 am | Link

Are you transferring to Adelaide or the South East? Millicent and Mount Gambier are about 450kms out from Adelaide.

• Trupti shelar February 7, 2017, 7:42 pm | Link

Hello,
    Bob this is like an ocean of information. You all are doing a wonderful job appreciated from bottom of my heart.

I have initiated my VISA transfer process for Australia. I am from Mumbai, India and want to migrate permanently to Australia. I am single ( Unmarried) and will be moving alone. I am customer service professional here in India and open to take odd jobs incase of employment scarcity. Also I ready to stay under any conditions as long as itz safe staying. Please help me to make choice between Brisbane & Adelaide.

Cheers!!

• BobinOz February 8, 2017, 9:28 pm | Link

Well, they are two very different cities, I can’t choose which would suit you best, only you can do that. Reading the comments on my main pages for each of these cities will help you as will looking at my roundup on my page A Quick Guide to Choosing a City in Australia.

Anyway, I’m biased, I moved here 10 years ago and chose Brisbane and I still love it today. Others who have lived in Adelaide for a long time and comment on this page will probably, and quite rightly, be I biased towards Adelaide.

If you are undecided, I always reckon the best idea is to go where you can get work.

• Guv February 4, 2017, 6:10 am | Link

G’day all. Need advice from Adelaide locals please.
    I’m 50yr old male divorcee potentially transferring to Adelaide after 27yrs in small regional Vic town (<10k people).
    Need commutable access to Gepps Cross. Require a sense of community in a suburb / town with a bush type setting or feeling to it. I can only afford to rent.
    Activities are outdoor interests – fishing / cycling / walking.
    Can anyone help me with suitable locations for another major turning point in my life.
    Thanks for your comments.

• Josh February 5, 2017, 6:59 pm | Link

Hey Guv, the hills just above Tea Tree Gully might be good to look at. Houghton, Paracombe, Hermitage and Inglewood are hills villages that are easy driving reach to Gepps Cross and are within a bush setting (and the Inglewood Inn is nice little pub)

• Guv February 6, 2017, 5:35 am | Link

Thanks for the suggestions Josh. I’ll look into it and check the rentals.
        Nice pub is always good!!
        Cheers Josh.
        Guv.

• Prudvi N February 2, 2017, 4:52 am | Link

Hie bob,
    I’m planning to immigrate to Adelaide , presently I’m working in India and I have 2+ years experience in life science background.. So what are the chances to get job in South Australia???

• BobinOz February 2, 2017, 8:51 pm | Link

I don’t think anybody could give you an accurate answer to that question, but if you look through the comments made here you will see that finding work is one of the biggest challenges for those living in Adelaide.

I would suggest you do some thorough research, you can do that via the links on my page called Getting a Job or a Sponsorship.

• Jax January 24, 2017, 10:49 pm | Link

Best beaches in Adelaide are in the southern suburbs, city of Onkaparinga has 31 km of pristine coastline and the best wine region on Australia, which is of course McLaren Vale. The city also hosts stage 5 of the Tour Down Under. The train from Seaford to Adelaide is around 45 mins and by UK standards really cheap, clean and reliable. Moved here from UK in 2003, live the Pommie dream – lovely house with a pool and plenty of good weather to enjoy it. Beach 10mins away, wineries even closer. Best beaches Port Noarlunga, port Willunga and Aldinga Beach. Some beaches are drive on, which is kinda fun. Even an unclad beach at Maslins. Extremely clean and unpolluted coastline. We do get a few white pointers but also heaps of dolphins. Kangaroos still bounce around the suburbs here too! And yes deadly snakes frequent back yards, but generally keep to themselves.

• pacos January 26, 2017, 8:16 am | Link

That is a very good beautiful story, is the ocean safe to swim and is its warm ?

What are jobs needed in that area? How is adelaide close and jobs needed ?

Paco

• David January 26, 2017, 1:18 pm | Link

Adelaide suburban beaches are amongst the safest in Australia, they are protected by being in a gulf. The water is lovely on a warm Summer’s day. I wouldn’t suggest swimming at the beach in the middle of Winter though. The service sector is the largest employer in Adelaide, so health and nursing jobs are usually in demand. Also trade jobs, such as mechanics, plumbing, electricians etc are always in demand. Adelaide is a bit isolated by distance by UK standards, but not by Australian standards. The distances are approximately the same between Brisbane and Sydney, Sydney and Melbourne and Melbourne and Adelaide. Air fares can be quite affordable if you are able to book in advance and are able to utilize less popular flights.

• Orlando January 23, 2017, 1:40 pm | Link

My wife and I are going to move to Adelaide next month for study a PhD, but until now we can’t find a place to rent, could you suggest some web or link to find places on rent?

Thank you.

• Shantal January 17, 2017, 12:48 am | Link

My partner & I are planning to move to Adelaide from India. However neither of us has ever visited Australia before & so we’re thinking of taking a short trip (10 days approx) to get a feel of the place before we invest in the immigration process. From what I’ve gained from reading the comments, Adelaide is a small place, so I’m hoping the 10 days will do it.
    Would there be any resource centers or agencies we could go to (while in Adelaide), that would help us gain information about renting apartments, job opportunities etc.? Basically any sources/places of information, while there, that we can visit in order to help with our decision.
    I have viewed a couple of sites where renting & job openings are concerned, based on your blog. However since we plan on making the trip, I would also like to visit places that could provide information/help to new immigrants.
    Any kind of help is welcome, thanks.

• BobinOz January 18, 2017, 12:28 am | Link

Well, firstly, yes I think 10 days would give you a good chance to have a fair look around Adelaide, but if you can do longer than that, I would. What you are considering here is a big move, so I reckon three weeks would be better for you to take a good look around.

As for those resources, I don’t think so, all the big resources for finding a job and somewhere to live are online, they are the same places you’ve already seen which I link to from this website. These are major portals, they have comprehensive listings, I really can’t think of any place you can go to to get more information than they can give you online.

That’s just me though, but somebody else may know of such places. Anybody got any advice on this?

• Spiro Doukakis January 16, 2017, 2:11 pm | Link

Alex
    I have travelled the world
    I livein Henley Beach
    Adelaide provides great weather , with warm summers and cool winters , with a great affordible lifestyle.
    Snakes found in the foothills, not often in the suburbs.
    Only dangerous spider is redback, but rarely fatal.
    Its a great city , one of the most affordable and livable cities in the world
    Move here and check it out
    You will not be dissapointed
    I wouldnt live anywhere else

• Alex January 18, 2017, 2:55 am | Link

This post makes us want to pack our bags 🙂

• Alex January 16, 2017, 4:31 am | Link

Hi, we are New Zealanders (and British), currently live in Vancouver Canada, and looking at moving to Adelaide (confused? we are!). We visited about 13 years ago and loved it, has it changed much since then? We have lived in Melbourne in the past (2015 most recently) and found the weather a little too crazy, it’s a nightmare and the cost of living has sky rocketed there and priced us out of the market to buy a house. We are trying to weigh up our options of moving to a different part of Canada, to the UK or Adelaide, too many options! We do know that we will not move back to New Zealand. We’re wondering about the snakes and spiders etc and if they are really in your homes and gardens and do the temperatures regularly go into the high 30’s? We would be looking at the coastal parts of Adelaide, Glenelg down to Brighton. I know bugs and weather might seem like small grips to an Aussie, but we are kiwi’s after all 🙂 Also, I am a young professional and mum is retiring, I’m not into nightlife anymore, we just want to be able to buy a nice house, I want a decent job, mum would like a nice retirement, we love the beach and we already know Adelaide has good shopping and amazing beaches and houses are still affordable, from reading your blog it sounds like there’s plenty to do in summer. I guess then our only questions really are the bugs and weather… and if those are really bad, is there a different part of Oz you would recommend?

• Mark January 16, 2017, 10:30 am | Link

Cant answer many of your points but can some ….Moving to UK Ive just left there and i think for good reason. Well a dollar will get you 62p instead of the 45p ten years ago so far better off but for living there I’m not so sure its getting very crowded little island and you could say Vancouver’s weather doesn’t change much compared to the very very diverse and severe weather of UK at present . A low of say 4 or 5 in Winter in VC in UK that can easily be minus 4 or 5 (celcius) And maybe 20 c or around 70f in Summer in VC and UK could be 15/ 60 or as high as 38/100 in Summer….
      I’m not so sure the job front in Adelaide is that great at present. if you read some comments on here and have a look at jobs front in general.
      Yes snakes spiders and so on do appear I think all over here. We were sat in a lovely almost ‘manicured’ public garden the other day (Melbourne) when a Tiger snake came wandering past….actually to be precise as it wandered past no one was sat 🙂 .
      Maybe Ive helped rule one notion out ..UK ….maybe not…you dont say why you want to leave Canada

• Alex January 18, 2017, 2:43 am | Link

Ah, it was sounding good until the snake in the park! We are REALLY Squeamish… seeing a Huntsman spider in our house in Melbourne terrified us…
        The weather in Vancouver is usually 6 months of rain in from about October, although we’ve just come out of an 8 week long deep freeze, think more like -10 to -18… it was cold, snowy and very icy…caused a lot of problems, we’re back to rain today and up to 5 degrees! It feels like summer… not kidding, so warm. This is the second winter like this in the last 8 years in Van, and summer can get hot, we were over 30 degrees for about 2 weeks last summer… it must be this global warming. Only thinking of leaving Canada due to family reasons, otherwise we would move out East (which we’re still thinking about). Why else are you pleased to have left the UK? what part are you from? We would have been considering Norwich. Thanks for your reply!

• Josh January 16, 2017, 1:22 pm | Link

Hi Alex,

snakes, bugs and spiders are not really a problem in Adelaide. Some hills and foothills suburbs would have a fair share of snakes around but they are quite scared of humans so unless they are provoked they will slither off quickly. Spiders are spiders, they are not really a problem. The main issue is annoying mosquitos at night if your house doesn’t have any flywire doors and you want the outside night time cool air to come in. Adelaide CBD is significantly more vibrant than 13 years ago due to influx of apartments, small bars and cafes. As for jobs, people really go over the top regarding Adelaide employment prospects such as sensationalist stuff like ‘the Detroit of Oz’. If you’re not aspiring to get a upper level management or car manufacturing job or 6 figure salary job within a week, then the job market is not really any worse than Brisbane or Perth. Due to restructuring away from our previous reliance on manufacturing jobs, it means our unemployment rate is one of the highest, but this is because currently the loss of manufacturing jobs is not quite meeting the creation of new jobs in other sectors, however the lower AUD is assisting whats left of our manufacturing sector to ‘stay on its feet’ recently. If you are into the health sector, you will be more than fine

• Alex January 18, 2017, 2:47 am | Link

Thanks for the response, much appreciated… I think I forgot to ask about lizards? how are those? Encase you can’t tell, we’re very very squeamish! Growing up in Auckland our biggest problem was cockroaches, and you should have heard the screams… although we got very good at killing them.. which involved 3 people and a barking dog, a bat, a can of fly spray and a vacuum… just to give you an idea of how bad we are 🙂
        I think work should be fine, I have a very strong administrative background, I’m also flexible and never opposed to working in a supermarket or something until we get settled…

• danny green January 24, 2017, 6:01 am | Link

Hi josh, can you help, me and the wife are currently applying for a visa and are looking at moving to adeleide from the uk that’s if we are sucessful, I am a qualified air conditioning engineer/mechanic what are the chances of any jobs in adeleide? Thanks

• David January 17, 2017, 2:54 pm | Link

Hi Alex,

I’ve lived in Adelaide most my life, but Sydney and Melbourne have almost become second homes. Adelaide is certainly great for home buyers, you’ll probably be offered a salary slightly lower than in Melbourne, but housing costs are much lower, so you will find Adelaide a far more affordable city to live in. There has been significant investment in infrastructure over the last 15 years or so in Adelaide, so it has changed a little, and very much for the better. You will have no problems whatsoever with snakes around Glenelg and Brighton, to be honest in all my travels I haven’t actually seen a snake for years. Spiders are around, only the redback is a genuine concern as a bite can be excruciatingly uncomfortable but the vast majority of us have lived with them our entire lives and have never been bitten. I only see one of them every few months. During the peak of summer, you can expect most days to be in the high 20s to low 30s, there will be a handful days in summer with temperatures up in the high 30s, and maybe a couple of heatwaves where the temperature can get into the 40s for a few days. You will want to invest in air conditioning for your home. Winter is cool and July can be quite cold, which is nice, because it’s a chance to enjoy some of the cold weather activities without it being absolutely freezing. If you want to escape the heat, you’re probably best considering Tasmania. The jobs market depends on which sector you’re skilled to work in, check the usual jobs websites for all of the job ads to get a feel for what is on offer. To be honest, the employment rate in South Australia is not very much worse than Western Australia, and they have just come out of a mining boom.

• Alex January 18, 2017, 2:49 am | Link

Thanks for taking the time to reply 🙂 So you don’t find the extreme heat too bad? It’s only for a few days a year? We actually love the city itself, and thought we had died and gone to heaven when we seen Glenelg…

• David January 18, 2017, 10:47 am | Link

Hi again Alex,

The extreme heat may last for a few days, a three or four times a year in Summer. I generally don’t like hot weather full stop but to be honest, I don’t find the hot weather in Adelaide to be as repressive as it is in some other parts of the country. I suspect humidity has something to do with it. When I checked yesterday, it was 40 degrees and the humidity level was 7%. That is extremely dry, and means perspiration evaporates very effectively and your body’s own cooling system is working very efficiently. That is not to say it’s still not bloody hot though :). We tend to live in an air conditioned world now though, much different than what I remember when I was a kid in the 80s, so I find the heat a real non issue these days. Our homes, our cars, our workplaces, our shops, our schools – you name it, are all air conditioned.

• Gareth January 17, 2017, 3:54 pm | Link

Easy questions. Today is 43 degrees in the city, yesterday was similar, tomorrow is 28. Bugs and snakes are not an issue, keep your yard tidy and spray the perimeter of your home with Coopex which knocks all bugs dead when they walk in it. Problem solved. Ask me a hard question, like which Kindy served banana and milk at mid morning tea, of the socio economic problems of a high unemployment rate and aging population.

• Alex January 18, 2017, 2:52 am | Link

Ha, no kiddies so that’s not an issue 🙂 My mum would actually be retiring there, so it would have to be good for retirees… good health system (which I’ve failed to ask about). I’m generally pretty flexible with work, although applied for a couple of jobs to test the water, from admin to Coles and Aldi and got rejection emails on them all! Wouldn’t move without a job to go to… Thanks for your reply 🙂

• Mark January 18, 2017, 8:46 am | Link

Therin may lie a problem I employ folks and would not give a job to someone who lived outside of the country and no idea when they where coming… Youd really need to be here for that. to your otehr question on my post Norwich up to Gt Yarmouth and beyond is lovely. Ive lived in several parts of the UK but have travelled extensively within it. Im originally from San Clemente, SoCal

• Francesco January 18, 2017, 10:07 am | Link

Hi Gareth,

what is meant by the socio economic problems of a high unemployment rate and aging population. ? I am looking at Adelaide and cannot see where the jobs are, I see other websites and media say there is job loss ? Is it good for a family if there is no work ?

• Gareth January 19, 2017, 10:49 am | Link

Hi Francesco,
          Jobs are coming and going all the time, there is a perception that there are fixed numbers of jobs available in all cities offering opportunities. This isn’t the case. You may have looked for a job yesterday and not found one, but not looked today when one was advertised.
          go to seek.com.au and register and you can get notified when jobs that will appeal to you are advertised. How ever I can pretty much guarantee that unless you are here, when they are advertised, unless its a high ranking specialty position, you wont get the job, because they will want some one in Australia ready to start. I’ve been applying for jobs in another state and the moment I tell them I’m not in the state ready to start I hear the dial tone of the phone. We have an unemployment rate of around 7% here, which means out of every 100 people able to work, seven are not employed. There’s always work for people to are willing to work.

• Gareth January 17, 2017, 10:48 pm | Link

Statistics of deaths and hospitalisation from 2000-2013 on ABC.net.au today. http://ab.co/2jjbqOC
      More people died in Australia from horses than snakes, spiders and other creepy crawlers combined.

• Rochelle January 12, 2017, 9:59 pm | Link

We are moving to Adelaide from South Africa and I was wondering which suburbs are the best for children. We have a 3 year old and a 6 year old. (please keep the schools in mind as well as parks etc.)

• BobinOz January 13, 2017, 3:33 pm | Link

Hi Rochelle

There is a lot of chatter about the suburbs and schools in this conversation here, I think you will learn a great deal by having a quick skim through it all. I’ve just searched for the word ‘school’ on this page alone, there are 19 results.

There are even more comments on other pages when you click on the previous comments link, so I know you can glean a lot of information about the suburbs, potentially which suburbs to avoid, and tons of stuff about the schools.

Adelaide is a very family friendly city, you will not be disappointed. Good luck with your plans, Bob

• devinder January 5, 2017, 8:06 am | Link

I am willing to move in Adelaide. I would like to buy a house and my budget is around $800000. which area is best to live and will be working in Gepps Cross 5094 please

• BobinOz January 5, 2017, 9:31 pm | Link

I would think that would buy a pretty good house in Adelaide, but I also think you would need to give more information about what you want from a suburb other than being close to Gepps Cross if somebody local is going to be able to give you any meaningful advice.

• Gareth January 6, 2017, 6:58 pm | Link

Information on what lifestyle you want to achieve, do you want to be near the beach or in the hills, do you want a large block of land or something small, do you want a big house or a unit/apartment. Is living close to the city of importance. Do you have kids that need to be in good schools or special schools, do you need to be near a hospital for health conditions. So many questions that require answers before giving advice that may change your whole life.

• sammy January 3, 2017, 12:26 pm | Link

Hi i’m looking to come study and live in Adelaide but i think i need to get sponsored in a job in a rural area so can anyone tell me whats the closest rural town to Adelaide??

• BobinOz January 3, 2017, 10:05 pm | Link

I’m not really sure why you think you would need to get a sponsored in a job in a rural area, I can’t see how working in a rural town and commuting into Adelaide to study would work. I think you need to clarify your question.

• Dhruv Dhol December 29, 2016, 5:13 pm | Link

Hi there….can anyone give me the idea about where in australia is the most farming done…And how much farmers earn on an average in a year.? I am from india and planning to shift in australia.

• BobinOz December 30, 2016, 5:48 pm | Link

What kind of farming? Beef, sugar, dairy, rice? Not sure what farmers earn, but you will, of course, need to obtain a visa that will allow you to work here in Australia.

• john December 23, 2016, 10:24 pm | Link

I am going to move to Adelaide next year and we want to leave in rosewater but we don’t know about this suburd is this a good suburd to live ? thank

• Gareth December 24, 2016, 10:48 am | Link

Hi John, I wouldn’t live in Rosewater, it wouldn’t be in my top fifty places to live in S.A Quite high crime rate and undesirables in this area, and a main transport corridor for heavy trucks. Name sounds great, but that’s where it stops.

• Ashish December 21, 2016, 6:35 am | Link

I am planning to move Adelaide with in few months on the PR basis but I don’t have any known there. So I am bit confused about that how I will find ACCOMMODATION and JOB there. If anybody can suggest me about these things please help me.

• Olivia December 16, 2016, 8:29 am | Link

Hi all,
    We are moving from Perth to Adelaide in Feb 2017. My daughter of 4yo was due to start kindy at a good public school here. I cannot seem to find information on kindy’s in Adelaide let alone good ones. From education websites it looks like kindy’s are either at daycares or private. Any good community kindy’s like those in Brisbane? In Perth she was starting kindy at the same primary school she was going to attend. Will appreciate any advice.

We’ve heard that there are areas that can be quite rough in Adelaide, and with no idea where to start looking for a school for my daughter(private or public) it’s making the move hard.
    We have been told that the eastern suburbs are good, but we don’t mind going up to 15km from the city as long as it’s family friendly.

• BobinOz December 18, 2016, 9:51 pm | Link

Hi Olivia

Paul Timson made a comment about some ‘rough areas’ to potentially avoid in a comment he made here 2016/08/14 at 11:10 am, so I think it’s worth you looking at that. If you have the time, it’s also worth scrolling through many of the other comments here as there’s lots of talk about good and bad suburbs.

For daycare though, well, hopefully a local will help you out but if not there is an interesting link on my page about the subject…

…to a website that may be able to help you out with this. Good luck, Bob

• Scott December 23, 2016, 4:02 pm | Link

Hi Olivia

I moved from Perth of nearly 30 years to Adelaide a few years ago. To be honest the rough areas are generally far north and far south, and around Port Adelaide/possibly Croydon. It’s allot different in the fact that the inner city suburbs are the best, Parkside/Unley/Norwood area, West areas near the beach, just not so much north around Prospect.
      I don’t have kids, so can’t help there, just really avoid anything past Hallet Cove/Blackwood heading south and Grand Junction road heading north, with exceptions of Mawson Lakes. These areas are high unemployment, not so nice houses etc. Same in every city, not saying good people don’t like there but I would not live in those areas for free, for example Armadale/Gosnells area Im sure you know of. Any other questions let me know. Cheers.

• Olivia December 24, 2016, 8:01 am | Link

Thanks for the advice Scott!
        How are you finding Adelaide after living in Perth for so long? We really love Perth especially the beaches and parks and the fact that it is so family friendly. How does Adelaide compare?

• Scott December 26, 2016, 12:24 pm | Link

Hi Olivia

Well Adelaide firstly has really nice beaches, the thing I like here is because of the peninsula there is land over the other side of the ocean, so you can go to the beach on a calm day and there are people doing standup paddle boarding etc. Some days it does get windy, but it’s allot different than looking out into nothing but the Indian Ocean if Perth.
          So if you want surf, you do have to travel. The beaches are nice yellow sand for the most part, very much the same. I find the pace of Adelaide reminds me of Perth in the 1990s, shops closed on Sunday in the city and public transport infrequent after certain times of night, this is largely due to the population size and demand.
          If you let me know what suburb you live in Perth I could probably suggest somewhere similar, I lived in Bull Creek/Leeming/Willetton areas.
          Allot of things are really subject to personal opinion, I would describe Adelaide as a safe, family orientated city, with festivals throughout the year. There is not as much excitement for the youth that is on offer in the larger cities in terms of night life, concerts, entertainment etc. The main thing that has really been an issue for me is suitable employment, but I am going to start my own business in 2017, that all depends on what skills and experience you have. I don’t know what else to say really, I am planning to head up to the Gold Coast and live there, but don’t regret moving from Perth, to be honest it’s just really isolated and far away from all the other cities to travel frequently.

• Josh January 2, 2017, 11:42 pm | Link

shops closed in the city on Sundays??????? that’s total nonsense

• scott January 3, 2017, 12:15 am | Link

Well it depends on the demand. Perth only started Sunday trading a few years ago, almost everything outside tourist areas were closed. Depends on what your used to.

• scott January 3, 2017, 12:24 am | Link

Here is one 😅😅 Central Adelaide markets closed on Sunday.

• BobinOz January 3, 2017, 9:25 pm | Link

I actually think it’s quite cute when all the shops in a city or town are shut on a Sunday, it’s nice for everyone to be able to chill out and take a day off. Even back in the UK, in the early 1980s, all the shops were shut on a Sunday, garden centres aside if I recall. Maybe petrol stations were open as well.

Those were the days I say, but maybe I’m just turning into a grumpy old man? Or worse, I am one? 🙂

• David January 12, 2017, 5:37 am | Link

For the record, shops are open 11am-5pm every Sunday. Supermarkets are open from about 6-7am until 9pm Weekdays, until 5pm Saturdays. Technically they are allowed open from 12:01am Monday to Saturday. Shops in the CBD, but not in the suburbs can open between 11am-5pm on public holidays.

• Scott December 26, 2016, 12:30 pm | Link

Oh also you will love the Fringe Festival, apparently second biggest festival in the Southern Hemisphere and it goes for about 4-6 weeks. It starts in February to March, the only other main difference in the wind here is very cold in the winter, but it does not rain heavy for days on end like Perth, the weather is very similar except not as many blue sky days, so when it’s really hot here it could be overcast, where in Perth you get like 14 days straight with no clouds in the sky lol. As I am sure you know already, that is too much for me, here it’s allot more moderation, gets really, really hot for a few days then drops back down to normal.

• Olivia December 29, 2016, 2:00 pm | Link

Thank you Scott for providing your perspective on moving to Adelaide! We currently live in Gwelup, so we are looking at finding a similar area(family friendly, parks, good schools, not to far from city etc…) Gwelup is about 15km from the city centre, so don’t mind travelling a similar distance in Adelaide. Would appreciate it if you can recommend any other areas to buy/rent other than inner east and south.
            Good luck with the new business and eventual move to the Gold Coast. We lived in Brisbane for 3 years and love Qld. Hopefully you’ll also enjoy living there.
            Thanks again for your valuable advice.
            Olivia

• scott January 3, 2017, 12:20 am | Link

Hi Olivia

I am actually not that familiar with northern suburbs at all or Gwelup. In Adelaide 15kms from the city really in any direction you will find good suburbs to live. I just would not live that close to Port Adelaide myself, but really everything within that range is nice.

• scott January 3, 2017, 12:32 am | Link

Personally I would move close to Glenelg, north up to Henley Beach or south to South Brighton. East side of Brighton road/Tapleys hill roaf cheaper still with same lifestyle. You have the tram or train into the city, close to the airport, lots of great schools and shops, with a Westfield at Marion. Glenelg is so nice during the summer months people and kids out and about. I live in the Holdfast Bay council area, anywhere around there is the best place to live in Adelaide I have friends all over the place and Im not a local, so thats really my unbiased opinion.

• Olivia January 6, 2017, 11:36 am | Link

Thanks Scott! Will look into those suburbs.

• Petros December 28, 2016, 11:18 am | Link

Hi Scott . I’m from Canada and I’m planing to move to Adelaide I’m 60 years old active man what would be your seggestion for me

• Catherine December 7, 2016, 2:42 pm | Link

Hi all,

My husband and I will b migrating to Adelaide next feb 2017. We are looking for fully furnished 1-2 bed apt in Albert park/Seaton park. Is this more to a local suburb? is it safe?
    It’s pretty hard for us to inspect the property whilst we are still abroad. Is there any suggestion? I have emailed to quite a few agents but all ask me to register for inspections. If its a MUST, where is the best to stay during the first week?

• BobinOz December 7, 2016, 7:40 pm | Link

I can’t help you with information about those suburbs Catherine, hopefully a local will answer you but I would be shocked if it wasn’t safe, almost all of Australia is very safe.

I think you will find it hard to secure a rental from abroad though, the laws vary from state to state but here in Queensland my understanding is that a personal visit and inspection of the property by the potential tenants is a must, rental agencies simply won’t allow you to sign the contract if you haven’t seen the place.

I believe it is possible to get around this if you use a relocation agent and have them act on your behalf. Whether or not that is the law in South Australia, I don’t know, but if I was a landlord I would definitely choose to rent to somebody who has seen my property rather than one who hasn’t.

These days, possibly the best option is to try and find somewhere on Airbnb for your first week here. Good luck, Bob

• Catherine December 9, 2016, 12:31 am | Link

Dear Bob,

Thanks for your advise??

• Terry Sankey ( mrs ) December 10, 2016, 8:35 am | Link

Hi Catherine yes these surburb s are safe but like anywhere in the world nowhere is 100% safe . Iv arrived in Adelaide in 1988 from Dunboyne Co Meath , and I have to say we love our life here . Adelaide is a beautiful city . If you need anymore info please email me and I’ll do my best to help . Best of luck Terry

• Mollycleary December 10, 2016, 3:19 pm | Link

Hi I am retired and from Naul Co Meath and wonder what surburb to live in. A duplex in Kurralta Park is in the mix- $ range 400,000.
          What do you think,
          Regardsmolly Mac

• Terry Sankey December 10, 2016, 6:29 pm | Link

Hi Mac that surburb is very close to the city and beach with good transport system

• Jacqueline Wogan December 13, 2016, 11:22 pm | Link

Hi Terry- We are in Bettystown, Meath and our family of 5 is moving to Adelaide in July/Aug 2017. Would love to get some local advice on neighbourhoods and schools. I am an ExPat from California and looking to live in warmer place than Ireland. I love the look of Glenelg from pictures…Any help you can offer would be appreciated!

• Terry December 14, 2016, 12:51 am | Link

Hi Jacqueline there’s lots of areas I’d recommend but it all depends on what you like ie near the beach / hills area or close to Adelaide City , the same with school ,private v public schools , if you can decide on beach v city etc areas I can help you more , also like everywhere else in the wourld houses prices and rents in or near the city are expensive , let me know what your preference is and I’ll try to help if I can . Warmly Terry

• Alex December 2, 2016, 5:31 pm | Link

Hi all,

I am currently living and working in Kenya but my family and I will be immigrating to Adelaide on permanent residency visas on 15th January 2017. To this end we would like to have secured a rental property before then. My wife and I have three children ages 8, 5 and 2 and they have all been accepted at St Joseph’s Payneham Primary School.

We are ideally looking for a 3-4 bedroom with a minimum of 2 bathrooms. A maximum commute of 30-40 minutes to the school would be fine.

A major challenge is most landlords do not want to rent out to new emigrants 🙁 Any ideas or experiences of new emigrants would be welcome.

Thanks and I look forward to reading from you.

Regards,

Alex

• Shalini December 2, 2016, 5:36 pm | Link

Hi Alex,
      We are also in Kenya ( Nairobi) and also planning the same on PR. Appreciate if we can engage here . Pl give your contact if possible or call me @ +254786549600.

Shalini

• BobinOz December 2, 2016, 8:55 pm | Link

I’m not really convinced it’s a case of landlords not wanting to rent to new immigrants, but I am aware that in most states, certainly here in Queensland, it’s a requirement to actually view the property personally in order to be able to rent it.

So if you are trying to secure a rental from abroad without having seen it, you will have problems. In some states this is actually the law, that someone must personally inspect the property before being able to rent it. It’s to get around potential problems of misrepresentation, i.e., when you get to see it you could say it doesn’t live up to how it was described you and therefore attempt to cancel the contract.

Each landlord makes their own decision on who can and cannot rent the properties they owns based on information presented, most will simply choose the applicant they feel is the strongest. Hope that helps and good luck, Bob

• David March 3, 2017, 10:15 am | Link

The best suggestion to get around problems with securing rental accommodation from abroad would be to rent a property through services such as airbnb for the first couple of weeks after you arrive. You will pay a premium hiring accommodation on a short term, but nobody said any of this was not an expensive endeavor.

When I took a job in Sydney, I managed to secure a rental property the day after I arrived. I couldn’t do it remotely from Adelaide before I left, and yes, I did have to inspect a few properties in person before agreeing to sign the contract. The agent did tell me that was the quickest turn around she had ever done!

• Alex January 3, 2017, 7:17 pm | Link

Hi Shalini,
        Did you finally settle down in Adelaide? My family leave Kenya on 13th January.
        Let me have your email address if that is ok.
        Kind regards,

Alex

• Claire Jeffery November 28, 2016, 12:25 pm | Link

Hi. My family of 6 will be moving to adelaide at the beginning of 2017. Our heads are spinning with where to live. Coming from Canada we would like our kids to be able to continue with their core French education instead of Japanese. Paringa park, Stirling east, edwardstown and glen osmond are the schools we are looking at. I will be in Daw Park for school and don’t want to have too far a commute. My husband would like to be as close to the water as possible. Is Glenelg too touristy? Is it far more expensive near the beach? We would really like to be in a community with kids and families. Thanks for any and all suggestions.

• Gareth November 28, 2016, 7:10 pm | Link

Hi Claire, sorry this will be a quick response but there is plenty of information on this thread, especially about schools. I posted a thread a while back with links where you can compare schools.
      Yes Glenelg is very touristy, and expensive. But expense is relative to your income and assets. My sister lives there, but it’s not my cup if tea. Ic you are renting it’s probably not too bad if you stay away from the name brands (Glenelg, Henley, Brighton etc) and if you’re not in the beachfront or even beach side of Tapleys Hill Rd you should find somewhere.

Best way to work out distances is simply with your maps app or GoogleMaps, that will give you drive time and distance.
      Welcome to Adelaide.

• Sarah December 7, 2016, 8:30 pm | Link

Hi Claire, some of the suburbs you are referring to are a fair distance to Daw Park. Edwardstown is the closest. I live in the next suburb over St Marys. My son goes to a small private school in our suburb but i have heard good things about Edwardstown primary. Not that far to the beach to drive. If you want to live in walking distance though Somerton Park and Brighton are nice but still expensive. Though relatives from Perth moved to one of the more expensive suburbs Unley Park and thought property prices in Adelaide cheap. I’m not sure on schools that offer French but there is always private tuition. Good luck with the move.

• Samantha November 21, 2016, 1:27 pm | Link

I’m highly considering relocation from the states to Adelaide. I understand first I’d need to get a work permit, but a few questions I have are below…
    1. Which areas are more diverse than others?
    2. Which areas are more family oriented, I do have a 10 and 14 yr old. So they’d need to feel comfortable as well.
    3. Which areas are more affordable to live?
    4. Is it easy to purchase a car or rent a car?
    Thanks for your help, some research is quite scary so I’d like to hear from someone who is there and has experience. Any insight is awesome.

• Gareth November 21, 2016, 2:57 pm | Link

Hi Samantha,
      Australia in its nature is culturally diverse. You will find a high density of Indian and subcontinent workers and students around Prospect and Kilburn and surrounding areas. You will likely find Etheopians and Asians a round Kilburn, Kilkenny, Croydon areas.

Affordable family environments are everywhere, from the Adelaide Hills to the Eastern foothills and NE suburbs. Depends on what environment you are looking for. Cars can be cheap to buy, around $45 a day to rent for s small one. Petroleum is around $1.25 per litre about now, and diesel around $1.13. Registration and insurance varies per vehicle and driving history.

Feel free to ask any other questions you may have.

• Sofia November 15, 2016, 6:26 am | Link

Hello all!
    First of all thank you for informative reading, both here in the blog but also in the comments! I’ve tried finding some information that deals with my question but didn’t so I hope I’m not doubble posting a question here.

I’m going to Adelaide in February as an exchange student. I’ve been looking at accomodation, and of course found the university managed accomodation options. But I feel these are quite expensive for a student budget when they are about 300 AUD/week for a room in shared apartment, shared toilet. I’m going to study in the University of Adelaide and now I’m looking for some advice to where I should look for accomodation I’ve understood the university is located in the CBD. Is it easy to get around with the metro if I’ll live far from CBD, and if I do what areas should I be looking into.
    Looking forward to hearing from you!

Regards
    Sofia

• BobinOz November 15, 2016, 8:13 pm | Link

Hi Sofia

Yes, actually $300 per week for a room does seem very high, especially for Adelaide. I’m sure you could find plenty of options that are cheaper than that, but I’m afraid I will need to leave where you should look to the locals.

Hopefully someone will see your question and answer it in due course, good luck, Bob

• Sofia November 21, 2016, 8:05 pm | Link

Hi Bob, that was exactly how I felt as well. Yes, lets see if anyone else has any ideas for me then, thank you for your time!

//Sofia

• Rohit November 22, 2016, 9:10 am | Link

Hi Sofia

I u want house in city then its expensive. But if you go in suburbs then you can find units in the range of 200-250-280. Most of the suburbs are well connected with city. If you plan to drive your own car then Adelaide is a two minute city.

• farhan December 7, 2016, 1:09 am | Link

Hi sofia,
      We are renting out second bedroom in our two bedroom unit near CBD.

• Farhan December 7, 2016, 1:17 am | Link

To add up few things more in my comment earlier.
        It’s only 3 to 4km away from CBD, quite convenient and safe place, very close to all amenities such as Norwood shopping centre, cafes and restaurants are only 5mins walk and bus goes to city in every 15 mins, bus stop is only 1min walk.
        Me and my partner recently moved here from sydney for better opportunities and lifestyle. If you are interested or still looking for share accomodation let me know so we can discuss further.
        Thanks !