I have often spoken enthusiastically about Australia’s “free stuff” and at Christmas time, Australia’s free stuff comes into its own. So much so, that this year Brisbane City Council have released a booklet…
If you were here, (maybe you are here?) you’d have been invited to the “lighting of the Christmas tree” in the city. Of course, they don’t just flick a switch and then tell you to clear off home, there is entertainment, lots of it. We went last year, so you can click this link to see what the world’s largest solar powered Christmas tree looks like.
Also on offer….
- IGA Lord Mayor’s Carols in the City
- Lord Mayors Seniors Christmas Parties
- World by Night- take a trip around the world in Brisbane’s own backyard!
- Indie Twilight Christmas Markets – shopping for ethical consumers.
- Christmas Tights – entertainment from Brisbane’s leading circus and street performers.
- Bands in the Square – Brisbane’s finest brass and concert bands.
And yes, everything, all the above, every single event, it’s FREE!
And then there is “Christmas in the suburbs”. Over 30 local events all around the suburbs, including Bush Christmas, an event I’ve been to 2 years running. I can’t be certain, but I believe that they are mostly, if not all, FREE!
And of course, there’s always all those home owners around the country who go to great efforts to decorate their houses with fantastic outdoor lighting. I did a tour of a few of them again last night, and my favourite house remains this one. It’s amazing!
I mentioned it last year in my post called Lights. Camera. Christmas! A year later, this house still stuns me. This year I hope to have done it more justice with this short film…..